North East Buses
Durham Bus Stn - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Durham Bus Stn (/showthread.php?tid=893)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Durham Bus Stn - Jimmi - 04 Feb 2015

(04 Feb 2015, 6:05 pm)Malarkey It is a complete blind spot for the driver when coming out as he or she has to approach the exit with extreme caution as a Pedestrian could walk out into the road at anytime, and you would think incidents like the above would occur a lot more often as a result.

Drivers often crawl out of the bus station to make sure they don't hit anyone but people just don't look or some even seem to think they have priority.

People hate walking behind me coming up to that bit as I always stop and look around before actually stepping out to cross the road there.

Also crossing from the bus station to the other side of the road where the 64's stop can be deadly to as drivers and pedestrians can't see clearly and then you have the taxi drivers who drive like they are in a F1 car who just suddenly appear behind a bus, also if there is a 64 on the stand North Road often ends up becoming one way quite often a bus pulls out and get's stuck and ends up playing a game of no you back up!

RE: Durham Bus Stn - Adrian - 04 Feb 2015

(04 Feb 2015, 6:05 pm)Malarkey It is a complete blind spot for the driver when coming out as he or she has to approach the exit with extreme caution as a Pedestrian could walk out into the road at anytime, and you would think incidents like the above would occur a lot more often as a result.

They should be anyway, as there's a stop line at the end of the exit? If someone is crossing North Road, then the bus shouldn't cross that stop line until the pedestrian is clear of the road. 

RE: Durham Bus Stn - Malarkey - 04 Feb 2015

(04 Feb 2015, 7:29 pm)aureolin They should be anyway, as there's a stop line at the end of the exit? If someone is crossing North Road, then the bus shouldn't cross that stop line until the pedestrian is clear of the road. 
Seen a few this morning when standing on North Road taking photos that came flying around the corner and slamming on the Breaks.

Come up with a little plan for what should happen with Durham Bus Station/North Road.

1.) North Road Roundabout is Removed and replaced with a 3 Way Traffic Light Junction in line with the A690/W2W and North Road.
2.) Metcalfe House is Demolished to make room for more space for the New Bus Station.
3.) Current Bus Station is Demolished with Temporary Bus Stops Situated on North Road/Milburngate and Sutton Street while New Bus Station is Constructed.
4.) 3 Way Traffic Lights Signal will be inserted on the W2W for Entrance/Exit to New Bus Station.
5.) 2 Way Traffic Lights Signal will be inserted on North Road on the Exit of the New Bus Station leading down towards Milburngate.
6.) Current Shop Units attached to the Current will remain and be fully refurbished with a frontal facelift.
7.) More Shop Units will also be created within the New Bus Station.
8.) Station Facilities will be greatly improved with Male/Female/Disabled Toilets and Baby Change Installed in the New Bus Station. 
9.) Travel Office will be Installed in one of the New Shop Units.

[attachment=6296]

(04 Feb 2015, 8:43 pm)Malarkey Come up with a little plan for what should happen with Durham Bus Station/North Road.

1.) North Road Roundabout is Removed and replaced with a 3 Way Traffic Light Junction in line with the A690/W2W and North Road.
2.) Metcalfe House is Demolished to make room for more space for the New Bus Station.
3.) Current Bus Station is Demolished with Temporary Bus Stops Situated on North Road/Milburngate and Sutton Street while New Bus Station is Constructed.
4.) 3 Way Traffic Lights Signal will be inserted on the W2W for Entrance/Exit to New Bus Station.
5.) 2 Way Traffic Lights Signal will be inserted on North Road on the Exit of the New Bus Station leading down towards Milburngate.
6.) Current Shop Units attached to the Current will remain and be fully refurbished with a frontal facelift.
7.) More Shop Units will also be created within the New Bus Station.
8.) Station Facilities will be greatly improved with Male/Female/Disabled Toilets and Baby Change Installed in the New Bus Station. 
9.) Travel Office will be Installed in one of the New Shop Units.

There's the small issue of the Grade II listed church, which you've turned into a layover stand mind...

RE: Durham Bus Stn - gtom - 04 Feb 2015

(04 Feb 2015, 8:57 pm)aureolin There's the small issue of the Grade II listed church, which you've turned into a layover stand mind...

Haha

There's no reason the Bus Station has to stay where it is. That's premium student accommodation listing land

RE: Durham Bus Stn - Kuyoyo - 04 Feb 2015

(04 Feb 2015, 9:00 pm)gtom Haha

There's no reason the Bus Station has to stay where it is. That's premium student accommodation listing land

And where else could it go?

RE: Durham Bus Stn - Andreos1 - 04 Feb 2015

(04 Feb 2015, 8:57 pm)aureolin There's the small issue of the Grade II listed church, which you've turned into a layover stand mind...

Just call him T Dan Malarkey!
Wanted rid of the real Eldon Square at one point, if I remember right.

It might still be there as I just went over everything in Grey Aureolin, does this Church even get used at all.

(04 Feb 2015, 9:04 pm)Andreos1 Just call him T Dan Malarkey!
Wanted rid of the real Eldon Square at one point, if I remember right.
If we are talking about the current Eldon Square then yes, another awfully designed Bus Station I might add.

(04 Feb 2015, 9:00 pm)gtom Haha

Labour are going nuts about the amount of student accommodation in Durham. The latest of course being 'the Gates' shopping centre, which is probably going to be demolished along with the Passport office, which relocates early 2016.

(04 Feb 2015, 9:01 pm)Kuyoyo And where else could it go?

It's a difficult one. Durham isn't exactly designed for the level of traffic it has, never mind buses on top of that. It's current site is probably the only site it could realistically be placed.

RE: Durham Bus Stn - Andreos1 - 04 Feb 2015

(04 Feb 2015, 9:10 pm)Malarkey If we are talking about the current Eldon Square then yes, another awfully designed Bus Station I might add.

Yeah it is bad.

There was one point you wanted rid of the grade II listed buildings around the hippy green. The comments are in bus station designs.

(04 Feb 2015, 9:18 pm)Andreos1 Yeah it is bad.

There was one point you wanted rid of the grade II listed buildings around the hippy green. The comments are in bus station designs.
I remember that, I was wanting to knock down the old bit of Eldon Square Shopping Centre which has pretty much no Shops to make way for a New Bus Station, as I recall we were talking about where you could put a potential New Bus Station in Newcastle City Centre, other than on Worswick Street.

RE: Durham Bus Stn - Jimmi - 10 Feb 2015

More issues in Durham Bus Station today:

First a Diamond Citaro had to be removed from service and had to be dumped on one the layover bays.

Then things went wrong when Arriva Lowlander 7444 broke down on the 43 stand (not the first time this heap has broke down whilst on a stand either) one knock on affect this caused is the 22 had to pull onto the service 7 stand which meant the 7 had to pull onto the 20/20A stand which resulted in the 20A having to pull in next to the 7 on what isn't a stand with a Lowlander receiving attention next to it and the 20A stopping there meant there was little room to get through especially for the 7 when it wanted to leave. Another issue with where the 20A was stopped was it was not suitable for wheelchairs, I saw someone pushing a wheelchair that went right round the back of the service 7 on the stand to get onto the 20A, thankfully there was a few more minutes until the 7 was due to leave and there was no buses trying to leave the bus station at the time.

Also as ever buses were backed up onto the roundabout for a good few minutes back to the North Road junction which meant it was blocking buses leaving North Road and was also blocking other traffic on the roundabout.

Durham Bus Stn - Jimmi - 20 Apr 2015

Business as usual in Durham Bus Station, 24 arrives early and the 43 is still on the stand so as ever the 24 is on stand K causing a pile up of two queues so of course us 7 passengers have to shuffle about for people to get past.

Durham Bus Stn - Jimmi - 08 Oct 2015

Durham Bus Station is getting beyond a joke now...

The X12 I'm currently on ended up leaving Durham Bus Station 6 minutes late thanks to the mess that is Durham Bus Station with buses on various incorrect stands, when the X12 arrived Service 50 was on stand A, Service 44A was on stand B, Service 48 was on C and the 6 was on D, this meant that the X12 was unable to pull onto a stand near enough so ended up dropping the passengers off at the opposite side of the bus station then had to come back round although had to wait a minute until the 44A left meaning it had to pull onto stand B and because of it being unable to get straight onto a stand to pick up the passengers it left 6 minutes late. This happened the last time I got the X12 as well.

Ridiculous!

RE: Durham Bus Stn - BusLoverMum - 08 Oct 2015

(08 Oct 2015, 9:39 am)Jimmi Durham Bus Station is getting beyond a joke now...

The X12 I'm currently on ended up leaving Durham Bus Station 6 minutes late thanks to the mess that is Durham Bus Station with buses on various incorrect stands, when the X12 arrived Service 50 was on stand A, Service 44A was on stand B, Service 48 was on C and the 6 was on D, this meant that the X12 was unable to pull onto a stand near enough so ended up dropping the passengers off at the opposite side of the bus station then had to come back round although had to wait a minute until the 44A left meaning it had to pull onto stand B and because of it being unable to get straight onto a stand to pick up the passengers it left 6 minutes late. This happened the last time I got the X12 as well.

Ridiculous!
I got in on the 22 at about 10:30. The driver ended up sitting at the bus stop on Millburngate bridge for a few minutes. When we did get into the station, he still couldn't get to the stand as there were only stands E&F free, by the look of it, at the time.

From what I've seen of the proposals for the new station, there aren't going to be any more stands and, if anything there will be fewer, with fewer layover bays and only one set down place. The outline I've seen has 10 stands inside, 3 outside (but loses the on street stops) and only space for 3 buses on layover.

RE: Durham Bus Stn - BusLoverMum - 11 Nov 2015

Not strictly to do with the bus station but clearly part of the whole traffic infrastructure developments, in Durham, a new permanent looking matrix sign has been installed off the sherburn roundabout on the A181.

It's currently advising of lumiere related delays.

RE: Durham Bus Stn - tyresmoke - 15 Nov 2015

(11 Nov 2015, 9:31 am)BusLoverMum Not strictly to do with the bus station but clearly part of the whole traffic infrastructure developments, in Durham, a new permanent looking matrix sign has been installed off the sherburn roundabout on the A181.

It's currently advising of lumiere related delays.

Noticed today there's a temporary one at the Bowburn junction advertising Lumiere, but with a permanent one just going in alongside.

As for Durham Bus Station, it's just one thing in a massive list of things this region cannot do properly. The bus stations in Yorkshire are 3 times the size

RE: Durham Bus Stn - Jimmi - 15 Nov 2015

(15 Nov 2015, 9:31 pm)tyresmoke As for Durham Bus Station, it's just one thing in a massive list of things this region cannot do properly. The bus stations in Yorkshire are 3 times the size

Wonder what anyone visiting Durham for the Lumiere Festival thought when they saw Durham Bus Station, dark, crowded and of course buckets everywhere as of course the roof is leaking as ever and the wet floor signs were scattered across the floor and most were knocked over and only one of the two doors next to stand A is working and has been broken for weeks now. Then of course there is not enough stands which whenever a bus is even one minute early or late can cause havoc.