North East Buses
Durham Bus Stn - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Durham Bus Stn (/showthread.php?tid=893)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Durham Bus Stn - BusLoverMum - 03 Mar 2016

(03 Mar 2016, 5:25 pm)Jimmi Just looked at the timetable and it should depart at 02 and 32 minutes past the hour which could be a problem as the 7 should arrive at 01 and 31 minutes past the hour, so especially in the event of the X21 running late it could cause havoc with the 7, it can be difficult enough with the 22/24 and 43 often pulling onto stand K if a bus is early or late. Wonder if this has been done as it follows the same route as the 7 between Durham Bus Station and Croxdale, should be intresting to see how it impacts passenger numbers on the 6, 7 and X21.

The pairing makes sense, it's just unfortunate that the allocated stand doesn't work.

And with that new time, I think we can be pretty certain that the 22 will never get a slot in stand J. (I hadn't realised that the new time was a tiny bit later than the old one - that's going to be tight for connections if I get the X21 home from Newcastle - just with the advantage of no longer having to run from one end of the station to the other!)

RE: Durham Bus Stn - GuyParkRoyal - 08 Mar 2016

Durham Bus Station have double booked stand B for departures on the same time slot. The 21 and X21 are both booked for 06:55 and as expected they both arrived on time yesterday so the X21 had to take up an alternative stand to ensure both services departed on time.

RE: Durham Bus Stn - BusLoverMum - 08 Mar 2016

(08 Mar 2016, 11:39 am)GuyParkRoyal Durham Bus Station have double booked stand B for departures on the same time slot. The 21 and X21 are both booked for 06:55 and as expected they both arrived on time yesterday so the X21 had to take up an alternative stand to ensure both services departed on time.

Stand A often ends up being an overflow for stand B.

Peterlee is the same. The bus station is never even full as it has half the traffic, but still has stands double booked.

RE: Durham Bus Stn - Jimmi - 08 Mar 2016

(08 Mar 2016, 11:39 am)GuyParkRoyal Durham Bus Station have double booked stand B for departures on the same time slot. The 21 and X21 are both booked for 06:55 and as expected they both arrived on time yesterday so the X21 had to take up an alternative stand to ensure both services departed on time.

On Saturday mornings the 15 and 16A both leave Durham Bus Station at 08:50.

Sure enough, I came into Durham on a Bishop Auckland bound X21 yesterday afternoon and the 7 had to pull onto the 20/20A/X20/40 stand to drop off/load passengers as the X21 was on the stand the 7 uses. Yay, I sure that this won't happen on a regular basis! *sighs*

RE: Durham Bus Stn - Adrian - 08 Mar 2016

I'd suggest that some onus is on the operator here, rather than Durham Bus Station having double booked. It'd be difficult to specify that a particular run departs from a different stand, as it'd confuse customers.

Having said that, I can't see the logic in having two services follow each other between Durham and Chester, either.

I'd suggest that some onus is on the operator here, rather than Durham Bus Station having double booked. It'd be difficult to specify that a particular run departs from a different stand, as it'd confuse customers.

Having said that, I can't see the logic in having two services follow each other between Durham and Chester, either.

RE: Durham Bus Stn - BusLoverMum - 10 Mar 2016

As predicted, this was the situation at 10:30

J 43
K 22
L x21
Hanging off the end: Prince Bishops

Thankfully, everything but the 22 had left by the time the 7 arrived. We ended up in stand G when I got here at 9:30

RE: Durham Bus Stn - BusLoverMum - 16 Apr 2016

Oh, it's fun today!

Some buses parked up on stands for 10-15 minutes with other ones going twice around the block trying to get into one!

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Adrian - 18 Apr 2016

(18 Apr 2016, 5:20 pm)LeeCalder I would just like to point out that there have been massive delays in Durham thanks to a National Express coach (I believe Go North East) breaking down on the roundabout outside of Durham Bus Station, as well as the Gilesgate Roundabout roadworks...

That doesn't help matters like.

Neither does late buses not being able to get on to stands, because other buses have been left there unmanned. It caused a bit of chaos with quite a bit running off timetable.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - LeeCalder - 18 Apr 2016

(18 Apr 2016, 8:53 pm)Adrian That doesn't help matters like.

Neither does late buses not being able to get on to stands, because other buses have been left there unmanned. It caused a bit of chaos with quite a bit running off timetable.

One of my major gripes is drivers (particularly Prince Bishops drivers, although a lot of Arriva drivers do so as well) leaving the bus where the drop off point is and causing a massive tailback.

(18 Apr 2016, 9:01 pm)LeeCalder One of my major gripes is drivers (particularly Prince Bishops drivers, although a lot of Arriva drivers do so as well) leaving the bus where the drop off point is and causing a massive tailback.

It used to be a case that the two layover stands at the entrance, were allocated specifically for the use of the ANE 7 and GNE 21. If that's still the case, then no other services should be using these stands.

It's more so hogging the actual stands that cause me the biggest gripe.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Jimmi - 18 Apr 2016

(18 Apr 2016, 9:01 pm)LeeCalder One of my major gripes is drivers (particularly Prince Bishops drivers, although a lot of Arriva drivers do so as well) leaving the bus where the drop off point is and causing a massive tailback.

Such is the magic that is Durham Bus Station. Rolleyes

I'll avoid going on a long rant about it... again!

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Michael - 18 Apr 2016

Durham just needs a better bus station.. Shame its not part of the development.

(18 Apr 2016, 9:17 pm)Michael Durham just needs a better bus station.. Shame its not part of the development.

Agree Michael, but it needs to be part of a wider North Road development. North Road is an absolute hole at the minute, so it's pointless giving it a shiny new bus station, at least until things change.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Jimmi - 18 Apr 2016

(18 Apr 2016, 9:21 pm)Adrian Agree Michael, but it needs to be part of a wider North Road development. North Road is an absolute hole at the minute, so it's pointless giving it a shiny new bus station, at least until things change.

Have to agree here, the area is an absolute eyesore, it's amusing when you see some of the reactions from the tourists who are staying at The Eden Arms Hotel arrive in Durham Bus Station on the 7, I think they were expecting something nicer than some red bricked mess and then have to exit via the "smoking area" Bulldoze the lot I say!

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - BusLoverMum - 18 Apr 2016

(18 Apr 2016, 8:53 pm)Adrian That doesn't help matters like.

There was an awful lot of that on Saturday afternoon. All the layover bays were full and there was no space left by the wall towards the exit. There were at least 2 unmanned buses occupying stands for more than 10 minutes and quite a few buses ended up dropping passengers off at stand L and 3/4 before going around the block once or twice until they found a vacant slot at the right end of the bus station.

I really hope the new plans don't get through because it'll be even worse. The current over capacity situation is extreme, but not at all rare. It's one of the busiest bus stations in the region crammed into one of the smallest spaces.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Dan - 19 Apr 2016

(18 Apr 2016, 9:11 pm)Adrian It used to be a case that the two layover stands at the entrance, were allocated specifically for the use of the ANE 7 and GNE 21. If that's still the case, then no other services should be using these stands.

It's more so hogging the actual stands that cause me the biggest gripe.

Yes, and this causes the most problems in terms of the tailbacks which Lee is complaining about, as some drivers refuse to go on any stand but their allocated one, and any buses behind that one are left to sit and wait. As Arriva almost have the monopoly on the bus station, they are the ones that cause the biggest issue in Durham Bus Station. Not Go North East. Of course, if the bus station was properly supervised, drivers could be told to use the allocated layover bays, but...

It's quite interesting that Arriva are having so many issues, yet Go North East isn't (at least to my knowledge?) I was on the real-time information system yesterday at various points in the day, and I found at 12:00 that only one bus out of the PVR of 20 was outside of the 'on time' boundary, and at 15:00 two were. Things worsened at peak times, but that's normal Durham. Perhaps the roadworks in Durham aren't as bad as is being made out, and it's simply because there isn't enough recovery time in Arriva's timetables to accommodate minor delays like these?

Just seems odd to me that it can affect one operator and not the other!

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - BusLoverMum - 19 Apr 2016

(19 Apr 2016, 5:14 am)Dan Yes, and this causes the most problems in terms of the tailbacks which Lee is complaining about, as some drivers refuse to go on any stand but their allocated one, and any buses behind that one are left to sit and wait. As Arriva almost have the monopoly on the bus station, they are the ones that cause the biggest issue in Durham Bus Station. Not Go North East. Of course, if the bus station was properly supervised, drivers could be told to use the allocated layover bays, but...

It's quite interesting that Arriva are having so many issues, yet Go North East isn't (at least to my knowledge?) I was on the real-time information system yesterday at various points in the day, and I found at 12:00 that only one bus out of the PVR of 20 was outside of the 'on time' boundary, and at 15:00 two were. Things worsened at peak times, but that's normal Durham. Perhaps the roadworks in Durham aren't as bad as is being made out, and it's simply because there isn't enough recovery time in Arriva's timetables to accommodate minor delays like these?

When there are tailbacks beyond gilesgate roundabout, the traffic that has come in via Sunderland road does better as vehicles on Sherburn road have to try to merge with that line of traffic up near the garage. This can mean that, even if the queue is long but steadily moving, joining that queue can take 5 minutes or more extra, which she what happened to us, yesterday.

The 22/24 have to endure that, while the 20/20a don't

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - LeeCalder - 19 Apr 2016

(19 Apr 2016, 5:14 am)Dan Yes, and this causes the most problems in terms of the tailbacks which Lee is complaining about, as some drivers refuse to go on any stand but their allocated one, and any buses behind that one are left to sit and wait. As Arriva almost have the monopoly on the bus station, they are the ones that cause the biggest issue in Durham Bus Station. Not Go North East. Of course, if the bus station was properly supervised, drivers could be told to use the allocated layover bays, but...

Many delays were caused due to the Nat Ex coach breaking down on the roundabout also, but there were large tailbacks beyond Gilesgate Roundabout.

I would also like to argue that GNE cause a large amount of problems, probably equal to the amount that ANE cause, due to their refusal to use the back wall. And also the blocking of the exit to DBS with many 20 drivers creating an imaginary stand 'M' due to the fact there is already another 20/20A on the stand.

There have also been times where GNE buses have sat waiting for their own stand to free up, despite the fact another bus is loading up before pulling onto an alternative stand because they will apparently get bollocked for pulling on to another stand.

It swings both ways...

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Dan - 19 Apr 2016

(19 Apr 2016, 8:24 am)LeeCalder I would also like to argue that GNE cause a large amount of problems, probably equal to the amount that ANE cause, due to their refusal to use the back wall. And also the blocking of the exit to DBS with many 20 drivers creating an imaginary stand 'M' due to the fact there is already another 20/20A on the stand.

There have also been times where GNE buses have sat waiting for their own stand to free up, despite the fact another bus is loading up before pulling onto an alternative stand because they will apparently get bollocked for pulling on to another stand.

It swings both ways...

It does swing both ways and my previous post was not disputing the fact that Go North East's drivers may cause some issues. It clearly states which operator I believe causes the biggest issue. I don't know how Go North East can cause the same amount of issues in Durham Bus Station as Arriva, when they do not have as many services running from or through the bus station each hour?

According to Google Maps:

A - ANE X12 to Newcastle (2 buses/hr), GNE X22 to Metrocentre (1 bus/hr)
B - GNE 21 to Newcastle (4 buses/hr), GNE 50 to South Shields (2 buses/hr), GNE X21 to Newcastle (2 buses/hr), 
C - GNE 15 to Consett (2 buses/hr), GNE 16 to Stanley/Castleside (4 buses/hr), GNE 128 to Beamish (1 bus/hr).
D - ANE 6 to West Auckland/Cockfield (5 buses/hr).
E - ANE 46 to Crook/Tow Law (3 buses/hr), ANE 48 to New Brancepeth (3 buses/hr)
F - ANE 49/49A to Brandon (6 buses/hr)
G - GNE 204 to Littletown (1 bus/hr), GNE 208 to Peterlee (1 bus/hr), GNE 265 to Seaham (1 bus/hr)
H - ANE 56 to Bishop Auckland (2 buses/hr), ANE 57/57A to Kelloe/Hartlepool (2 buses/hr), ANE X12 to Middlesbrough (2 buses/hr) 
J - ANE 22 to Sunderland (2 buses/hr), ANE 24 to Hartlepool (2 buses/hr), ANE 43 to Esh Winning (4 buses/hr), 
K - ANE 7 to Darlington (4 buses/hr), GNE X21 to Bishop Auckland (2 buses/hr)
L - GNE 20/20A to South Shields (6 buses/hr)

This means that Arriva has 37 services per hour running from/through Durham Bus Station, while Go North East has ten fewer at 27 services per hour. Arriva drivers (some - not all) are renowned for dumping their buses on a stand when a changeover is due to take place, until the next driver arrives to take over that bus. Go North East can't be guilty of the same thing, as, unlike Arriva, they undertake no driver changeovers at Durham.

Have you got any evidence of Go North East drivers 'refusing' to use the allocated layover stands? I by no means visit Durham Bus Station regularly, but I've certainly seen drivers on services 20/20A using the allocated layover stands when a bus is already pulled onto Stand L.

What's annoying you today? V4 - Jimmi - 19 Apr 2016

Having another one of those outings where everything doesn't work out how I want...

Me and my camera don't want to cooperate with each other, resulting in some failed shots which is not good as today I'm trying to get round several different places to catch different things as I've fallen a bit behind on North East stuff.

The Eldon Square branch of Poundland has angered me again, once again their drinks selection leaves a lot to be desired meaning I had to opt for three cans of Cherry Coke, unfortunately when I went to put one of them in my bag the lid somehow came open soaking my jeans and bag, one of the items in my bag is my phone charger and sure enough that's where all the Cherry Coke has collected so Lord knows if it'll still work, be thankful I got 5249 on the 309 meaning I couldn't plug the plug in anywhere.

All this has led to me shouting and swearing at Cobalt and when I get like this it leaves me feeling lightheaded. So once again I'm totally annoyed with everything including myself for getting in this state again. I need to get a grip, I know.