North East Buses
Durham Bus Stn - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Durham Bus Stn (/showthread.php?tid=893)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - BusLoverMum - 19 Apr 2016

(19 Apr 2016, 12:43 pm)Dan It does swing both ways and my previous post was not disputing the fact that Go North East's drivers may cause some issues. It clearly states which operator I believe causes the biggest issue. I don't know how Go North East can cause the same amount of issues in Durham Bus Station as Arriva, when they do not have as many services running from or through the bus station each hour?

According to Google Maps:

A - ANE X12 to Newcastle (2 buses/hr), GNE X22 to Metrocentre (1 bus/hr)
B - GNE 21 to Newcastle (4 buses/hr), GNE 50 to South Shields (2 buses/hr), GNE X21 to Newcastle (2 buses/hr), 
C - GNE 15 to Consett (2 buses/hr), GNE 16 to Stanley/Castleside (4 buses/hr), GNE 128 to Beamish (1 bus/hr).
D - ANE 6 to West Auckland/Cockfield (5 buses/hr).
E - ANE 46 to Crook/Tow Law (3 buses/hr), ANE 48 to New Brancepeth (3 buses/hr)
F - ANE 49/49A to Brandon (6 buses/hr)
G - GNE 204 to Littletown (1 bus/hr), GNE 208 to Peterlee (1 bus/hr), GNE 265 to Seaham (1 bus/hr)
H - ANE 56 to Bishop Auckland (2 buses/hr), ANE 57/57A to Kelloe/Hartlepool (2 buses/hr), ANE X12 to Middlesbrough (2 buses/hr) 
J - ANE 22 to Sunderland (2 buses/hr), ANE 24 to Hartlepool (2 buses/hr), ANE 43 to Esh Winning (4 buses/hr), 
K - ANE 7 to Darlington (4 buses/hr), GNE X21 to Bishop Auckland (2 buses/hr)
L - GNE 20/20A to South Shields (6 buses/hr)

This means that Arriva has 37 services per hour running from/through Durham Bus Station, while Go North East has ten fewer at 27 services per hour. Arriva drivers (some - not all) are renowned for dumping their buses on a stand when a changeover is due to take place, until the next driver arrives to take over that bus. Go North East can't be guilty of the same thing, as, unlike Arriva, they undertake no driver changeovers at Durham.

Have you got any evidence of Go North East drivers 'refusing' to use the allocated layover stands? I by no means visit Durham Bus Station regularly, but I've certainly seen drivers on services 20/20A using the allocated layover stands when a bus is already pulled onto Stand L.

It is six and two threes, really, or rather  5 and two threes, simply because Arriva do have more services using the station.

I regularly see angels, indigoes or whatever has come over from Deptford for the 265 or occasionally something from Stanley with time to spare using the back wall, so I agree that it's not true that GNE drivers refuse to park there.

GNE driver changeovers tend to happen at CLS or Stanley, while DBS is closer to arriva's depot, so it's understandable that more arriva buses will be waiting for driver changeovers.

Even with nothing unusual putting the pressure on, the worst culprit is the 43, which, even with only 4 buses an hour, is hogging stand J, or one of the ones next to it, with no driver in sight, for more than 50% of the time, as it has a long layover, usually with a driver change.

The 22 and 24 tend to be just as bad, while they are interworking, but they're usually parked up at the back wall unless they arrive with only minutes to spare before going out again. The biggest problems there come when a driver is caught up elsewhere, or, as I suspect, unable to go out until they've taken their statutory break after returning late, earlier.

Every one uses stand L and 3/4, even if it's just to drop off. That's become more of a problem since the X21 started using stand K, as there's often 5 buses in at once, wanting 4 stands, even when they're all on time.

I agree that Deptford must have a couple of scarily gobby drivers because when drivers other than those on the 20 dare to use stand L, even when there's no other space, they can't get out of the way fast enough when they see a 20 or 20a come in!

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - northern156 - 19 Apr 2016

Regarding Durham Bus Station - a somewhat far-fetched idea, but until developments take place to ease the station, some less-popular routes terminate at different locations away from the city centre (ie the Park & Ride with a 5-minute shuttle running), or even terminate 'in' it? ie running buses through the city centre and terminating on the main street right outside the bus station. ANE go one way round and GNE go the other way?

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - MurdnunoC - 19 Apr 2016

(19 Apr 2016, 2:15 pm)northern156 Regarding Durham Bus Station - a somewhat far-fetched idea, but until developments take place to ease the station, some less-popular routes terminate at different locations away from the city centre (ie the Park & Ride with a 5-minute shuttle running), or even terminate 'in' it? ie running buses through the city centre and terminating on the main street right outside the bus station. ANE go one way round and GNE go the other way?

You sound like a parent or teacher trying to separate a couple of bickering kids here...

(19 Apr 2016, 2:17 pm)MurdnunoC You sound like a parent or teacher trying to separate a couple of bickering kids here...

It does seem that way...!!

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Andreos1 - 19 Apr 2016

(19 Apr 2016, 2:15 pm)northern156 Regarding Durham Bus Station - a somewhat far-fetched idea, but until developments take place to ease the station, some less-popular routes terminate at different locations away from the city centre (ie the Park & Ride with a 5-minute shuttle running), or even terminate 'in' it? ie running buses through the city centre and terminating on the main street right outside the bus station. ANE go one way round and GNE go the other way?

Like the 64 does?
The 13 and 14 stop on North Road too - but obviously don't cross over the city, like the 64.

I can certainly see merit in the idea.
How routes would be split or what would determine what goes in to the station is another thing.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Rapidsnap - 19 Apr 2016

Jimmi your battery charger should be fine once it has dried out.

(19 Apr 2016, 2:23 pm)Andreos1 Like the 64 does?
The 13 and 14 stop on North Road too - but obviously don't cross over the city, like the 64.

I can certainly see merit in the idea.
How routes would be split or what would determine what goes in to the station is another thing.

Yeah indeed like the 64 however I pictured the 64 as being a 'straight through' route? Otherwise I would've picked that as an example :p

Do excuse the crude Paint annotations below:
[Image: LvD75dr.jpg]
Basically, GNE go through North Road/Millburngate (to give one example, the Bishop bound X21 would then go on the A690 straight through afterwards) and Arriva the opposite. Therefore if drivers are playing silly buggers, they're holding their own operator up rather than the competitors.
Any terminating services in Durham (except very frequent ones with short turnarounds ie 21) go to the bus station where they can use the available/allocated stands to leave the bus.

The only thing this could impact on is other, smaller operators (don't think there are many, mind) - so if these go up to the railway station perhaps as an alternative. If there were a few services going up there one 21 or X12 per hour (delays permitting) could go up to the rail station and shuttle them?

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - Kuyoyo - 19 Apr 2016

Bit hard to do that when the lower part of North Road is one way.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - MurdnunoC - 19 Apr 2016

(19 Apr 2016, 2:46 pm)Kuyoyo Bit hard to do that when the lower part of North Road is one way.

I believe it may have been a suggestive solution to an on-going problem.

Solutions require a little bit of imagination!

(19 Apr 2016, 2:46 pm)Kuyoyo Bit hard to do that when the lower part of North Road is one way.

I'm not saying 'do it now' - if there was sufficient chaos to justify the investment on possibly making it two way (instalment of traffic lights perhaps) then it, to me, would seem a very bright idea.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - BusLoverMum - 19 Apr 2016

Quite a few services, from ANE, GNE and Scarlet Band already use North Road, opposite the station. Any more would probably be dangerous because pedestrians already have to try to see past parked up uses to get across the road, whilst also paying attention to buses turning left, leaving the station. There's a fair few accidents, there - I stopped some poor frustrated old guy from stepping out in front of a bus, just a couple of weeks ago.

Any plans for a new station really need to take up the current site, plus the road in front, plus the shops opposite. IIRC the last displayed plans moved the station and North road services in together, so adding another 15 or more vehicles an hour to the existing 60-ish that use the station.

RE: Durham Bus Stn - BusLoverMum - 02 May 2016

Since when has the 22 departed from stand D on a Sunday or bank holiday?

I'll take it with a pinch of salt as the screens don't tally with the paper timetables here at all. Also shows it departing at 10:47 when it's 10:42

Stand B is showing mixture of normal weekday times for the 21 and x21 and really confusing people.

Also still had 50A on it, as did the paper timetable.

And don't even try to work out when the 64 is running to where.

They've been switched off Big Grin

RE: Durham Bus Stn - citaro5284 - 02 May 2016

What a carry on....you would think a main Bus Station would make sure the correct information was showing.

(02 May 2016, 2:52 pm)citaro5284 What a carry on....you would think a main Bus Station would make sure the correct information was showing.

Stanley had a few inconsistencies, too eg the x30 to Newcastle at both 14:55 and 15:00 but nowhere near as bad as Durham was.

There was no one "official" in sight, this morning, either, to put people right.

RE: What's annoying you today? V4 - palatine3833 - 02 May 2016

(19 Apr 2016, 12:43 pm)Dan It does swing both ways and my previous post was not disputing the fact that Go North East's drivers may cause some issues. It clearly states which operator I believe causes the biggest issue. I don't know how Go North East can cause the same amount of issues in Durham Bus Station as Arriva, when they do not have as many services running from or through the bus station each hour?

According to Google Maps:

A - ANE X12 to Newcastle (2 buses/hr), GNE X22 to Metrocentre (1 bus/hr)
B - GNE 21 to Newcastle (4 buses/hr), GNE 50 to South Shields (2 buses/hr), GNE X21 to Newcastle (2 buses/hr), 
C - GNE 15 to Consett (2 buses/hr), GNE 16 to Stanley/Castleside (4 buses/hr), GNE 128 to Beamish (1 bus/hr).
D - ANE 6 to West Auckland/Cockfield (5 buses/hr).
E - ANE 46 to Crook/Tow Law (3 buses/hr), ANE 48 to New Brancepeth (3 buses/hr)
F - ANE 49/49A to Brandon (6 buses/hr)
G - GNE 204 to Littletown (1 bus/hr), GNE 208 to Peterlee (1 bus/hr), GNE 265 to Seaham (1 bus/hr)
H - ANE 56 to Bishop Auckland (2 buses/hr), ANE 57/57A to Kelloe/Hartlepool (2 buses/hr), ANE X12 to Middlesbrough (2 buses/hr) 
J - ANE 22 to Sunderland (2 buses/hr), ANE 24 to Hartlepool (2 buses/hr), ANE 43 to Esh Winning (4 buses/hr), 
K - ANE 7 to Darlington (4 buses/hr), GNE X21 to Bishop Auckland (2 buses/hr)
L - GNE 20/20A to South Shields (6 buses/hr)

This means that Arriva has 37 services per hour running from/through Durham Bus Station, while Go North East has ten fewer at 27 services per hour. Arriva drivers (some - not all) are renowned for dumping their buses on a stand when a changeover is due to take place, until the next driver arrives to take over that bus. Go North East can't be guilty of the same thing, as, unlike Arriva, they undertake no driver changeovers at Durham.

Have you got any evidence of Go North East drivers 'refusing' to use the allocated layover stands? I by no means visit Durham Bus Station regularly, but I've certainly seen drivers on services 20/20A using the allocated layover stands when a bus is already pulled onto Stand L.

I have several occasions which have been documented and submitted to Go North East as 'evidence', including a Prince Bishops parking across the front of all 4 parking bays (blocking Arriva vehicles in).

RE: Durham Bus Stn - Ambassador - 02 May 2016

(02 May 2016, 9:23 am)BusLoverMum Stand B is showing mixture of normal weekday times for the 21 and x21 and really confusing people.

Also still had 50A on it, as did the paper timetable.

And don't even try to work out when the 64 is running to where.

The info boards on Durham Rd were showing normal timetables. On Sundays and evenings  they show the 21 and X21 as separate journeys. 

Speaking of Google. They have the GNE  X22 as Sapphire and the X12 as a sapphire too

Durham Bus Stn - TEN 6083 - 02 May 2016

(02 May 2016, 11:05 pm)Ambassador The info boards on Durham Rd were showing normal timetables. On Sundays and evenings  they show the 21 and X21 as separate journeys. 

Speaking of Google. They have the GNE  X22 as Sapphire and the X12 as a sapphire too

I know its not Durham, but Google also have GNE X21 as a Sapphire at Bishop Auckland Bus Station

Durham Bus Stn - Jimmi - 02 Jul 2016

From Monday 4th July, Stand A will be out of use due to essential works that need to be carried out, services which use this stand will use a temporary bus stop outside the bus station on North Road (on the opposite side of the road to the stops for the 64). I'm not certain where the X12 is stopping at as the paper notice says ALL the services are stopping at this temporary stop but the screen on stand A was saying the X12 will leave from stand D during this time.