North East Buses
Whats made you happy today? - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General off-topic chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+--- Thread: Whats made you happy today? (/showthread.php?tid=930)

RE: Whats made you happy today? - S813 FVK - 01 Jun 2015

(01 Jun 2015, 5:40 pm)MarcTheA4 I too miss the Prestiges. I know I've said it before, but the engine noises produced by those machines go through my head nearly every day - absolute monsters.

The 'Airport' DAFs (4983-4988) were the best in the fleet imo.

Whats made you happy today? - R852 PRG - 01 Jun 2015

(01 Jun 2015, 5:42 pm)Robert The 'Airport' DAFs (4983-4988) were the best in the fleet imo.

Can vividly remember the roar of 4983-4987 when they departed Chester-le-Street with a 28/28A to Newcastle. I remember, when my grandad was still alive, I would sometimes wait specifically for the 28/28A to go the long way around to Pelton, rather than quickly head up on a Renown. Roughly 25 minutes on one was enough to make the day, 4984 was the best in my opinion, always seemed to have a bit of extra power when pulling away, and that brilliant sound of the DAF engine. Big Grin

To think I used to skip the opportunity to ride a Renown in favour of a Prestige, if there was a Prestige that could be revived for one day; I would pay a fortune to do a round trip on the 28 to Newcastle, then back on the 28A.

The saying ''appreciate what you've got while you've still got it'' really does come to mind a lot, I already miss seeing the ''Lime'' livery out on the streets.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - mb134 - 02 Jun 2015

Couple of things over tha past two days :
Great bus driver this morning, credit to him, managed to make up time through Bedlington even though people were getting on at pretty much every stop.

Managed to do "turn in the road" in my driving lesson last night Big Grin

In a reasonably happy mood, despite my Chemistry exam today...

RE: Whats made you happy today? - mb134 - 03 Jun 2015

Been on "study leave" this week, although I've been in school on Monday and Tuesday for Biology and Chemistry revision sessions (and exams), after my Maths exam this morning (don't have a clue how that went), I'm off for the next day and a half, with a final maths exam on Friday. 

So nice to know I'm off while others are still in Wink 

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Dan - 03 Jun 2015

(03 Jun 2015, 10:41 am)mb134 Been on "study leave" this week, although I've been in school on Monday and Tuesday for Biology and Chemistry revision sessions (and exams), after my Maths exam this morning (don't have a clue how that went), I'm off for the next day and a half, with a final maths exam on Friday. 

So nice to know I'm off while others are still in Wink 

Luckily for me, I don't have to go to school ever again from tomorrow (apart from results day - but that doesn't count)! Tongue 

ICT exam this afternoon, and Business Studies tomorrow morning. I can't wait until it's over.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - MrFozz - 03 Jun 2015

(01 Jun 2015, 5:38 pm)Davie I miss Deltas, Spectras and Sigmas 
I miss Nationals, Metrobus deckers and Atlanteans Big Grin

Whats made you happy today? - R852 PRG - 03 Jun 2015

I helped one of my teachers sort out her son's Key Card and POP Card for the forthcoming school year, as he is moving into secondary school.

She lives near Shiney Row, and showed me on Google Maps where her nearest stop was. After saying ''my son has never seen any buses with the numbers I've told him to get on'', I replied; ''no, he won't be having much luck if you're telling him to get on the 194 and the 294!!''.

Still can't help but wonder how on earth she can remember those two numbers, but had to think for her own house number when filling on one of the forms! Tongue

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Malarkey - 03 Jun 2015

Having a ride to Mecca Bingo and back to Gateshead on A-Lines Optare Excel (HIL 6812), And listening to the OAPs giving the Driver abuse when he was 7 Minutes Late cause they would miss the start of the Bingo.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Adrian - 03 Jun 2015

(03 Jun 2015, 3:08 pm)MarcTheA4 I helped one of my teachers sort out her son's Key Card and POP Card for the forthcoming school year, as he is moving into secondary school.

She lives near Shiney Row, and showed me on Google Maps where her nearest stop was. After saying ''my son has never seen any buses with the numbers I've told him to get on'', I replied; ''no, he won't be having much luck if you're telling him to get on the 194 and the 294!!''.

Still can't help but wonder how on earth she can remember those two numbers, but had to think for her own house number when filling on one of the forms! Tongue

The 194 is written in to Shiney Raa' folklore man. Smile 

Whats made you happy today? - R852 PRG - 03 Jun 2015

(03 Jun 2015, 7:30 pm)aureolin The 194 is written in to Shiney Raa' folklore man. Smile 

Seems to be! When I told her the 194/294 was now the 4, she said ''what's the 4? If that's every 4 minutes he'll have no problem getting to school then''..... I was lost for words.

Then when I mentioned the 78....''you mean the 778?''...Tongue

RE: Whats made you happy today? - MurdnunoC - 03 Jun 2015

(03 Jun 2015, 7:30 pm)aureolin The 194 is written in to Shiney Raa' folklore man. Smile 

Aye. There's many a ballad and limerick been written about the 194.

My favourite has to be 'Ode to 194'

There once was bus called the 194
It ran up and down and from door to door
Through Shiney Raa and Herrington Burn
Towards Bournmoor this bus was not to turn
Until the dark day of two thousand and ten
When rerouting upsetteth the local zen
The link between Herrington, Fatfield and Penshaw
Suddenly ceased to exist anymore 

RE: Whats made you happy today? - R852 PRG - 03 Jun 2015

(03 Jun 2015, 7:43 pm)MurdnunoC Aye. There's many a ballad and limerick been written about the 194.

My favourite has to be 'Ode to 194'

There once was bus called the 194
It ran up and down and from door to door
Through Shiney Raa and Herrington Burn
Towards Bournmoor this bus was not to turn
Until the dark day of two thousand and ten
When rerouting upsetteth the local zen
The link between Herrington, Fatfield and Penshaw
Suddenly ceased to exist anymore 

I notice a neglection of the 294 in that poem. Tongue Seeing as it's been left out, 'Ode to 294';

There once was a bus called the 294
A Leyland National with a wooden floor
Bench style seating was home to a teen
Often mistaken as the school canteen
The fumes at the back led to several complaints
Never mind the amount of faints
Nonetheless at the end of the day
The 294 was the best way

Big Grin

RE: Whats made you happy today? - MurdnunoC - 03 Jun 2015

(03 Jun 2015, 7:58 pm)MarcTheA4 I notice a neglection of the 294 in that poem. Tongue Seeing as it's been left out, 'Ode to 294';

There once was a bus called the 294
A Leyland National with a wooden floor
Bench style seating was home to a teen
Often mistaken as the school canteen
The fumes at the back led to several complaints
Never mind the amount of faints
Nonetheless at the end of the day
The 294 was the best way

Big Grin

What poem? I didn't make it up I swear. Every time I drive through Shiney Raa there's always some guy in a funny costume, playing the lute and singing about buses. In some places this kind of behaviour might be considered strange but it seems kind of normal in Shiney Raa.

I've also heard the same bloke singing this...

Oh seven seven five and seven seven eight
These buses once stopped outside my gate
From Sunderland to Chester and the back o' beyond
An escape from reality from which I could abscond
Climbing the hills to the Pontop plateau
Where even in summer there's sometimes snow
Up there in the hills its a different place
I've heard of some folk vanish without trace
So back on bus and back down the hill
Riding the Delta oh what a thrill
An inspector got on and checked all the tickets
At funny old bus stop named Peggy's Wicket
Through the front street of Pelton and down Pelaw Bank
The squeal of the brakes those pads must have shrank
The traffic through Chester caused the bus to be late
An ode to my bus the seven seven five or eight

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Davie - 04 Jun 2015

I've got my last exam today and then they are over

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Dan - 04 Jun 2015

(04 Jun 2015, 6:36 am)Davie I've got my last exam today and then they are over

Me too. A-Level Business Studies, for 90 minutes, in an hour's time.

Will have to say my farewells to the teachers!

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Michael - 04 Jun 2015

Good luck both of you!

No doubt in a few years time, you'll want to go back haha

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Dan - 04 Jun 2015

(04 Jun 2015, 6:58 am)Michael Good luck both of you!

No doubt in a few years time, you'll want to go back haha

Cheers!

Not sure about that one... Whilst the lack of any responsibility and the ability to mess around appeals, getting paid and being employed in an industry that I have an interest in makes the day go by so much quicker. Perhaps the novelty will wear off in time, but for now, I'm pleased with my decision to leave and be done with school life.

Pleased the company has supported me during, and in the lead-up to, the exam period. Not sure how I've done in my exams, but I have come out feeling confident with quite a few, and no doubt this is because I've been able to prepare for the exams as much as I needed to.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Davie - 04 Jun 2015

(04 Jun 2015, 6:57 am)Dan Me too. A-Level Business Studies, for 90 minutes, in an hour's time.

Good luck, Dan  Smile

RE: Whats made you happy today? - Malarkey - 04 Jun 2015

Speaking to my old Advisor from the Job Centre in the car park whilst they did a Fire Drill this morning, Hadnt seen her in nearly 2 Year since I first started signing on after I left college and started going to Ingeus.

RE: Whats made you happy today? - mb134 - 04 Jun 2015

(04 Jun 2015, 6:57 am)Dan Me too. A-Level Business Studies, for 90 minutes, in an hour's time.

Hope it went well Smile

Popped into school for a bit, and spoke to my friend who took it and he didn't seem too happy with how it went, hope you're feeling more confident about it than that!