North East Buses
Service X93 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Service X93 (/showthread.php?tid=997)

Pages: 1 2

Service X93 - robisdave15 - 19 May 2014

I've come here to try and, in the first place, open a discussion about this service, collect peoples thoughts and suggestions and secondly for anyone to let of steam with their criticisms, Hopefully, if it works, then I can put something, proactive, to submit to Arriva management. Cheers.

RE: Service X93 - MurdnunoC - 19 May 2014

I've never used it. However, I may be using it in the not-to-distant future as I plan to travel down to Scarborough using an Explorer ticket.

I know you have some issues with the service. If you pop into Middlesbrough Library and have a look at the microfilm archives for the Gazette, you'll see that the Whitby to Scarborough section of the route (although it probably wasn't known as the 93/X93 back then) has always suffered from its fair share of problems dating back to when the BRB closed the Whitby to Scarborough railway line in 1965.

'Whitby Scornful of Bus Scheme' & 'Steep Roads and Snow Cause Concern over Bus Scheme' [sic] are two such articles which both appeared in the July 9th 1964 edition of the Evening Gazette on pages 1 and 2 respectively. However, one must be objective when looking at articles from this particular period as people in Whitby were trying to save all their rail services from closure. A replacement bus service is not going to be presented in the best possible light.

RE: Service X93 - robisdave15 - 19 May 2014

It's all interesting Adam and p'raps I should extend my thread to include stuff like this ? I know the route of old, well certainly back to the 70's when I think there was just two through journeys each day! I've read and listened to reports even recently of services in winter being at best suspended, at worst stranded, due to snow. So yes I do see the bigger picture of just how llogistically difficult to operate the route, a route that is kinda victim of its own popularity.

RE: Service X93 - Andreos1 - 19 May 2014

Have read the posts with interest.

Having always wanted to use the service, the queues that often stand at Whitby for what seems like hours and the apparent reliability issues, have discouraged me - meaning it has always been the car or train (Tyne Tees Day Rover) to have been the winners.

Unless something changes and we see major improvements in the service, I will remain an x93 virgin.

RE: Service X93 - tyresmoke - 19 May 2014

Well extra capacity seems to be the name of the game with 2 more Volvo B7TLs due to arrive later this week from Northumbria to cover the 8 summer boards.

RE: Service X93 - Malarkey - 19 May 2014

Would it be worth investing in some Tri-Axle Coaches i.e. Caetano Levantes for the X93 and Perhaps increase the Frequency of the Service.

RE: Service X93 - R852 PRG - 19 May 2014

I've never used the Arriva X93, despite being tempted to. I suppose, as AdamY says, it's just one of those services that over a long period of time, just founders and founders until it hits the bottom of the ocean.

RE: Service X93 - Tom - 19 May 2014

(19 May 2014, 6:28 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Would it be worth investing in some Tri-Axle Coaches i.e. Caetano Levantes for the X93 and Perhaps increase the Frequency of the Service.

Suppose it could be like the X4/X5 in Cumbria - have one journey operated by a coach, then one journey operated by a Easy Access low floor double decker so there is the option of that for disabled customers.

To Andreos. I know I've gone on about the service but looking at it as an entity I'm guessing that overall it is quite a success by virtue of the fact that management are now trying to give Whitby depot a full 8 double deck PVR to meet the requirements of the peak season timetable.I can understand what you say about the crowds and reliability though ? It's the former that tend to throw me!

To Scott. Thanks for the heads up on that. Just thinking that if they perhaps threw some additional resources - maintainance and cleaning at the Whitby compound then that could be a step in the right direction. Just a thought?

(19 May 2014, 6:38 pm)robisdave15 To Andreos. I know I've gone on about the service but looking at it as an entity I'm guessing that overall it is quite a success by virtue of the fact that management are now trying to give Whitby depot a full 8 double deck PVR to meet the requirements of the peak season timetable.I can understand what you say about the crowds and reliability though ? It's the former that tend to throw me!

To Scott. Thanks for the heads up on that. Just thinking that if they perhaps threw some additional resources - maintainance and cleaning at the Whitby compound then that could be a step in the right direction. Just a thought?

There is no doubt it is a success, but not sure the service is reaching its full potential.
Hopefully the allocation will help improve the service and lead it onto greater success.

I imagine the majority of passengers are from the Teesside area and possibly the southern fringes of Co Durham and maybe Darlington too.
If the likes of Marcus, AdamY or myself were to use it, there is the need for at least two more connections from Middlesbrough to get home (using different operators in a fragmented system).
That faff and the issues I mentioned previously are the things putting me off - particularly with a family in tow.

The Day Ranger I mentioned earlier coupled with a Family and Friends Railcard make the train (particularly the direct ones from Tyneside/Wearside) even more attractive.

The bus isn't ruled out, it just isn't as attractive as it could be

RE: Service X93 - R852 PRG - 19 May 2014

(19 May 2014, 7:02 pm)Andreos Constantopolous There is no doubt it is a success, but not sure the service is reaching its full potential.
Hopefully the allocation will help improve the service and lead it onto greater success.

I imagine the majority of passengers are from the Teesside area and possibly the southern fringes of Co Durham and maybe Darlington too.
If the likes of Marcus, AdamY or myself were to use it, there is the need for at least two more connections from Middlesbrough to get home (using different operators in a fragmented system).
That faff and the issues I mentioned previously are the things putting me off - particularly with a family in tow.

The Day Ranger I mentioned earlier coupled with a Family and Friends Railcard make the train (particularly the direct ones from Tyneside/Wearside) even more attractive.

The bus isn't ruled out, it just isn't as attractive as it could be

Yeah, if I were to use it I'd probably have to get up pretty early, then get on a 71 into Chester, perhaps an X21 to Newcastle to speed things up, then an X9/X10 all the way to Middlesbrough, then the X93 to Scarborough and back to Middlesbrough. I suppose instead of trailing all the way to Newcastle in order to get back (by this time I think it would be well into the afternoon) I would get an Arriva service to Durham then back to Chester on a 21. It would certainly be a long journey...

There are of course other ways Tongue

RE: Service X93 - Adam - 19 May 2014

Used the X93 for the first time back in the February half term. Me and my friends decided to have a trip out for the day. We got off the X10 and went straight onto the X93, doing the full route to Scarborough. Never again.

Ended up with Scania Omnicity 4651 (NK05 GXE) there and back. Loadings were about 3/4 full from Middlesbrough to Whitby, where about half got off and at least one full bus load clambered on, meaning people were standing from the front all the way to the very back of the bus. I occasionally suffer from travel sickness but I'm usually alright on buses/coaches (I was perfectly fine yesterday going to/from Wembley), but the X93 was horrible. I felt quite ill from just south of Guisborough all the way to Scarborough.

To top it off as well, coming back, we were sat in the quadrant areas at the back, and on the very back seats, a woman decided to give her partner a blowjob. Happily, I had my back turned to them so I didn't see it (not that I would ever want to), but a couple of my friends didn't share that same amount of fortune as me and are now scarred for life.

We were thinking about returning to Scarborough in the forthcoming half term on the X93, but I've made it perfectly clear to my friends that I'm taking the train, even though I may be the only one that will. I'd rather shell out at least £30 on train fares than pay a £9.30 Day Explorer and use that X93.

To those who commented on the use of coaches this is one bright idea. Running a direct service, perhaps just peak season, direct from Middlesbrough to Scarborough non-stop would alleviate the pressure on the service vehicles ; maybe even extended with a start in Newcastle?
And to Andreos. Yes I fully appreciate what your saying there. I assume it would be local
service and TTX before even getting near the
X93? A veritable nightmare.
WHOOPS! Nearly missed Adams post! In everything positive we can say about the service, that sort of experience is sadly an all to frequent part of life on the X93 and unfortunately not much we can do about it. A shame.

RE: Service X93 - Jimmi - 19 May 2014

(19 May 2014, 8:09 pm)robisdave15 To those who commented on the use of coaches this is one bright idea. Running a direct service, perhaps just peak season, direct from Middlesbrough to Scarborough non-stop would alleviate the pressure on the service vehicles ; maybe even extended with a start in Newcastle?
And to Andreos. Yes I fully appreciate what your saying there. I assume it would be local
WHOOPS! Nearly missed Adams post! In everything positive we can say about the service, that sort of experience is sadly an all to frequent part of life on the X93 and unfortunately not much we can do about it. A shame.

We used to have Service X60 from Newcastle and Service X61 from Durham during the summer and between Middlesbrough and Scarborough they only stopped at Ormesby Post Office, Birk Brow Top, Scaling Dam, Whitby Bus Station and Flask Inn.

Sadly I think these services were killed off by Concession passes.

X60 timetable
http://www.travelnortheast.co.uk/downloads/bustimetables/arriva/X60-Ncl-Scar.pdf

X61 timetable
http://www.travelnortheast.co.uk/downloads/bustimetables/arriva/X61-dur-scar.pdf

I didn't want to go there with that particularly line but it's quite right and needs saying. I have said previously that the X93 does not meet its true potential revenue wise and this in turn reflects what can and can't 'be done in terms of investment and improvement. I'm not sure of the reimbursement that the operator gets in respect of the concessionary passes but believe it is a fraction of the full fare. Don't think I need do the maths and your probably quite correct in saying that it killed the X60/61.

RE: Service X93 - Jimmi - 19 May 2014

(19 May 2014, 8:37 pm)robisdave15 I didn't want to go there with that particularly line but it's quite right and needs saying. I have said previously that the X93 does not meet its true potential revenue wise and this in turn reflects what can and can't 'be done in terms of investment and improvement. I'm not sure of the reimbursement that the operator gets in respect of the concessionary passes but believe it is a fraction of the full fare. Don't think I need do the maths and your probably quite correct in saying that it killed the X60/61.

The other issues with passes was when pre 0930 travel supplements were introduced in 2011.

Also the passenger numbers were variant on weather.

(19 May 2014, 8:09 pm)robisdave15 To those who commented on the use of coaches this is one bright idea. Running a direct service, perhaps just peak season, direct from Middlesbrough to Scarborough non-stop would alleviate the pressure on the service vehicles ; maybe even extended with a start in Newcastle?

If it is the x9/10 - then potentially two buses (local and an x1) or a 4 to pick the x9/10 up at Heworth. Either way, just to get to a bus stop for the x9/10 would take circa 60mins.

Another option would be a bus to Sunderland and then an x7.
Or, a bus to Chester le Street and an x1/2.

So although getting to Middlesbrough is possible, to come back, we would need specific planning to ensure all connections were met.
Once a bus is boarded coming North, the connection options are instantly limited.

That's just a pure nightmare and sadly as things stand just a straightforward no no. The going part itself could fall apart easily at M'bro if there is already a crowd waiting with, as things stand, the possibility of single deck operation. As for the return journey well that thought would spoil my day and enjoyment. I'd love to see the service developed and expanded with the use of direct express services but we have to try and improve what we have before that can happen.

RE: Service X93 - tyresmoke - 19 May 2014

Let's not forget that NYCC (where over half of the passengers board) have just cut their concessionary reimbursement rate... I'm not sure we'll ever find out the true rate but I bet it's not far north of 50p/passenger !!

Middlesbrough - Whitby is the quiet section of the X93, and there are issues with loadings between Whitby and Scarborough, especially in the summer when the tourists help to overload the service. Indeed last summer one morning journey had to have a duplicate every day as one double deck vehicle wasn't enough to carry everyone! Hence we have 8 double decks this summer for use on the 8 boards.

Never thought my thread would take off like this! I didn't want to break into the issue of concessionary passes because it seems like such s hot potato and is clearly what a) blights the earning potential of the service and b) contributes to the loading situation, kinda devil and the deep blue sea ! Just what dya do? I knew there were / are issues on the Whitby - Scarborough and am now thinking what I spoke about in a separate post - running direct coaches from Boro non - stop to S'Boro is maybe something to look at in the future?
While I'm here? They've given them 8 B7's to meet the PVR, what about spare vehicles down there to help out?