Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat R852 PRG's Reviews

R852 PRG's Reviews

R852 PRG's Reviews

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16 Sep 2021, 5:11 am #302
Following my four days away in the middle of August, I enjoyed another four days exploring the south the following week. 

Tuesday 24th August 2021

Tuesday was the shortest of the four days in terms of movements. I suppose it was more of a means of positioning myself for the days that would follow. After getting a lift through to the station from my sister, I boarded the 0955 CrossCountry service at Durham, headcode 1V54. Although this diagram is booked a HST and I had booked it with this in mind - although it did happen to be significantly cheaper than all of the other trains that day when I was booking - I had noted on Realtime Trains that it had ran with a Voyager the previous day. Nonetheless, the train materialised in the form of a HST, with 43303 leading and 43239 on the rear. I sat in coach E, in the back half of the train, and had a pair of airline-style seats to myself for the duration of the trip. It was a comfortable ride to Cheltenham Spa, arriving at 1350. Although a near four-hour journey, having spent much of the last two years commuting between Aberdeen and Newcastle on a regular basis, my body has grown accustomed to journeys of such lengths. After grabbing a photograph of 43303 at Cheltenham Spa, I headed out to the bus stop outside the station where I bought a Cheltenham Dayrider on the Stagecoach app and boarded Enviro 36259 on an E into the town centre. I had something to eat and got a few photographs of the many Enviro400s coming and going along the main stretch before boarding MMC 10749 on a 94 to get me to my Premier Inn for the night. I spent the rest of the evening doing some work in my room before having an early night.

Wednesday 25th August 2021

I spent the daytime on Wednesday at the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Railway. I caught a D to the Park & Ride site at Cheltenham Racecourse, in the hands of 37241. Some of the traffic on the thoroughfares into the town centre was very intense and it seemed that the D/E services weren't running to much of a timetable. After walking up the road to Cheltenham Racecourse station, I boarded the 1225 service to Broadway, comprised of maroon Mk1s, with Modified Hall No. 7903 Foremarke Hall at the head. This locomotive was one of the last GWR Modified Halls built, its construction taking place in 1949 following nationalisation the previous year. I had a table to myself for my short hop to Winchcombe, the first station reached after leaving Cheltenham Racecourse, and crossed over to board the connecting service back, ran by Manor Class No. 7820 Dinmore Manor, accompanied by a rake of chocolate and cream Mk1s. I was able to secure another table to myself for the return trip to Cheltenham Racecourse, where, after sitting for a while, we embarked on another trip to Broadway. At Toddington, Growler Group-owned Class 37/0 No. 37215 connected onto the back of the train, with the Manor uncoupling at Broadway and the Class 37 hauled the fairly heavily-laden train back to Cheltenham Racecourse. It was driven very enthusiastically and is definitely one of the finest classic diesels I've travelled behind. Pleased that I timed my visit to catch it. Upon arrival back at the Racecourse, I grabbed a quick photo of 37215 as it was turned around and began the walk back to the Park & Ride site.

I boarded E200MMC 37621 on a D service back into the town centre, quickly grabbing a meal deal from Greggs before boarding E400MMC 10759 on a 94 to drop me within a five minute walk of Cheltenham Spa station. My intended train, 2T28, the 1723 service from Great Malvern to Westbury, was running to a delay due to a shortage of train crew. Thankfully, I'd allowed enough padding at Gloucester for my onward connection to London, which just so happened to begin from Cheltenham Spa. Nearly twenty minutes late, I boarded 166208. This was my first time on one of the Turbos and I enjoyed the ten-minute journey to Gloucester. I'd definitely hunt more down on a return visit to GWR territory. After a short wait at Gloucester, 1L86, the 1814 to London Paddington, rolled into the same platform I'd alighted from the Turbo on, formed of 802101. It was a very lightly loaded service, with about ten in my carriage at its peak. Upon arrival into London at 2000, I debated how to kill a few hours before boarding the Night Riviera to Plymouth. I ended up deciding on a return trip to Reading, with 800029 there on a busy Oxford-bound service and 387201 on the return. I then waited around for a little while before boarding the sleeper service, with 57603 being the loco on the front. Having cheaped out and only bought a seat, I sat in one of the two seated carriages and dozed off. 

Thursday 26th August 2021

Departure from London was 80 minutes late due to 57603 failing and a replacement having to be sourced from Reading. We were underway at 0105, and I managed to get a few hours sleep before arriving into Plymouth at 0523; the amount of padding in the pathing allowing for such a delay to be made up. I noted that it had been 57605 that had been brought from Reading to get us away. After pottering about in the station for a while, I boarded 06-plate Enviro400 472 on a 51 the city centre. After grabbing a bite to eat, I got my bearings and checked the online tracker to see what was out on the road. Having previously noted that a large number of services covered the interchange at Derriford Hospital, I decided that that would be the best place to head first. 69-plate E400 City 576 rolled onto the Parade with a 42 and I boarded; the journey fell behind schedule due to a high volume of passengers and I missed a connection onto an Omnidekka on the 34 back. I noted an ex-London Enviro400, 460, and caught it back into the city centre the long way round on the 51. It was a good run and there were several points where we sat and waited time. Arriving back at the Royal Parade for just after 0900, I sighted Omnidekka 6009 on the 34 to Derriford and decided to go straight back up. It retained its Brighton & Hove interior like many of those that made their way north in 2015. It seemed to be a mechanically sound vehicle and it arrived at the hospital a good few minutes early. Here, I returned to the city centre on another E400 City, 573, on the 42. I then decided to have a run out to Plympton on the 'Spark' 21/21A network; the ride out was provided by another City, 556, and I got off at a fairly photogenic stop to get a few photos before returning to the city centre on 552, alighting at the Royal Parade at bang-on noon. I had secured early check-in at my Premier Inn to allow me to have a rest to keep me going for the remainder of the day, and made the short walk there. 

After napping and freshening up, I headed out again at about 1415 and caught a short ride up to the railway station on the 72, provided by 63-plate Enviro400 512. After a short wait at the platforms, 2E15, the 1448 service from Penzance, arrived in the form of a 'Castle' HST set, with 43094 leading and 43158 on the rear. This was a very lightly loaded train, with only myself and a handful of others in the rearmost carriage. Upon arriving at Exeter St. David's just before 1600, I made the pleasant walk into the city centre to meet with my friend from Stagecoach South West at a Wetherspoons. If I recall correctly it was called the Chevalier Inn. After a quick bite to eat, we headed for the newly-opened bus station to board stripes-liveried Trident 18308 on a Newton Abbot-bound 2. On his recommendation, we alighted on the winding, upward approach to Exminster and he stalled the driver to enable me to get a photograph. About ten minutes thereafter, we boarded ex-Coastliner 700 Scania N230UD E400 15602 on another 2 back to Exeter. After waiting in the bus station for about fifteen minutes, 18368 appeared with the now-since withdrawn X7 commuter service from Exeter to Torquay. As my companion lives in Paignton, we decided to catch this all the way down to Torquay and finish things off down there. In my years, I have been on many a decent Trident, but this thing was in a league of its own. Following a stop of about twenty minutes to rectify a red ABS light, the driver put his foot down as we headed down the A380 and we achieved 60mph at various points. On arrival at Torquay Strand, we alighted and waited for a 12 to Paignton. I was able to grab a photo of an ex-Sunderland Dart during this brief interval. Scania N250UD MMC 15308 arrived and made a spirited run along the coastal road to the neighbouring Paignton. Despite it being nearly 2000, Paignton bus station was quite busy, with several deckers nearly full loaded. After parting company with my friend, I boarded GWR 150266 on 2E35, a northbound stopping service. After fifteen minutes, I alighted at Newton Abbot and returned to Plymouth on the fairly busy Penzance-bound 802013, having come from London with 1C92. After having had a superb day, I boarded 509 for the short hop to Derry's Cross, dropping me at the door of my Premier Inn. 

Friday 27th August 2021

After having sufficiently caught up on sleep from the previous couple of days, I awoke at 0745 and after getting ready, made the walk up to Plymouth station to board 2U12, the 0850 from Plymouth to Cardiff, comprised of another short HST set; 43016 leading and 43153 on the rear. Although it was initially a quiet ride through the countryside, the train got progressively busier on the other side of Exeter, the bulk of the other passengers disembarking with me at Bristol Temple Meads. A forty-five minute break at Bristol ensued before catching 1A19, the 1204 from Temple Meads to London, in the form of 800315. This was my first time travelling on a GWR service from start point to end point. Again, this was a busy service, but it arrived into Paddington a couple of minutes early at 1339. I had just around five hours to kill before meeting my uncle for dinner and catching the 2100 LNER northbound, so I decided to have a ride about on the Underground and some buses. I headed down into the Underground concourse and boarded a southbound Bakerloo line service as far as Elephant & Castle, operated by 1972 Stock No. 3235. After having lunch at a traditional pie and mash shop in Bermondsey, I caught Go-Ahead London WHV187 on a 188 service as far as Canada Water bus station. At Canada Water, I boarded 378140 on an Overground service to Highbury & Islington. I was bemused by a woman who boarded this service by mistake and pressed the emergency alarm after the doors had closed rather than just jump off at the following station and catch the next train in her intended direction. 

At Highbury & Islington, I tapped out and back in again to catch 2009 Stock No. 11072 on a Victoria service for the few stops to Oxford Circus. Here, I changed onto the Bakerloo line once again and boarded 1972 Stock No. 3543 all the way to the northern terminus of Harrow & Wealdstone. Here, I boarded the Arriva-operated 340 service to Edgware, operated by hybrid Gemini 2 HV172. This vehicle retained its Stagecoach interior, evidence of a TfL contract change somewhere previously. At Edgware, I alighted and boarded the first southbound service on the Northern line, operated by 1995 Stock No. 51663. I alighted at Warren Street and switched onto an extremely busy Victoria line service for the hop over to Oxford Circus. Here, an evidently inexperienced woman among the crowd of standees told her band of children to simply hold onto the pole in the centre and in doing so made it impossible for anyone not standing next to the doors to move. A kind stranger gave them a shove out onto the platform and we were all able to disembark. I made the walk round to the Bakerloo platforms and caught 1972 Stock No. 3547 across to Baker Street where my uncle was waiting for me on the other side of the barriers. After having dinner together at the adjoining Five Guys, I caught a Hammersmith & City service operated by S7 Stock No. 21317 back over to King's Cross and only had to wait a short while before they announced my train, 1N34, the 2100 to Newcastle. I noted that the Azuma was 801213 and watched the mass of humanity making their way further down the train and boarded coach L. It was very quiet in First Class although a number of people from standard whom I presume were unable to find seats did try to join us only to be frog-marched back up the train by the rather taciturn guard. Upon arrival at Durham a few minutes late, I made my way down to the bus stop at Wharton Park to catch the N21 but it failed to materialise. Rather than wait for the one an hour later I opted for a taxi home. After a good few days away, I was in bed for 1am. 

Apologies for the delay in getting this review published, but life gets in the way. I will be back in the north east for ten days at the end of September so will hopefully be able to have a few local outings which may be worthy of a write-up or two. Thanks for reading.
R852 PRG
16 Sep 2021, 5:11 am #302

Following my four days away in the middle of August, I enjoyed another four days exploring the south the following week. 

Tuesday 24th August 2021

Tuesday was the shortest of the four days in terms of movements. I suppose it was more of a means of positioning myself for the days that would follow. After getting a lift through to the station from my sister, I boarded the 0955 CrossCountry service at Durham, headcode 1V54. Although this diagram is booked a HST and I had booked it with this in mind - although it did happen to be significantly cheaper than all of the other trains that day when I was booking - I had noted on Realtime Trains that it had ran with a Voyager the previous day. Nonetheless, the train materialised in the form of a HST, with 43303 leading and 43239 on the rear. I sat in coach E, in the back half of the train, and had a pair of airline-style seats to myself for the duration of the trip. It was a comfortable ride to Cheltenham Spa, arriving at 1350. Although a near four-hour journey, having spent much of the last two years commuting between Aberdeen and Newcastle on a regular basis, my body has grown accustomed to journeys of such lengths. After grabbing a photograph of 43303 at Cheltenham Spa, I headed out to the bus stop outside the station where I bought a Cheltenham Dayrider on the Stagecoach app and boarded Enviro 36259 on an E into the town centre. I had something to eat and got a few photographs of the many Enviro400s coming and going along the main stretch before boarding MMC 10749 on a 94 to get me to my Premier Inn for the night. I spent the rest of the evening doing some work in my room before having an early night.

Wednesday 25th August 2021

I spent the daytime on Wednesday at the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Railway. I caught a D to the Park & Ride site at Cheltenham Racecourse, in the hands of 37241. Some of the traffic on the thoroughfares into the town centre was very intense and it seemed that the D/E services weren't running to much of a timetable. After walking up the road to Cheltenham Racecourse station, I boarded the 1225 service to Broadway, comprised of maroon Mk1s, with Modified Hall No. 7903 Foremarke Hall at the head. This locomotive was one of the last GWR Modified Halls built, its construction taking place in 1949 following nationalisation the previous year. I had a table to myself for my short hop to Winchcombe, the first station reached after leaving Cheltenham Racecourse, and crossed over to board the connecting service back, ran by Manor Class No. 7820 Dinmore Manor, accompanied by a rake of chocolate and cream Mk1s. I was able to secure another table to myself for the return trip to Cheltenham Racecourse, where, after sitting for a while, we embarked on another trip to Broadway. At Toddington, Growler Group-owned Class 37/0 No. 37215 connected onto the back of the train, with the Manor uncoupling at Broadway and the Class 37 hauled the fairly heavily-laden train back to Cheltenham Racecourse. It was driven very enthusiastically and is definitely one of the finest classic diesels I've travelled behind. Pleased that I timed my visit to catch it. Upon arrival back at the Racecourse, I grabbed a quick photo of 37215 as it was turned around and began the walk back to the Park & Ride site.

I boarded E200MMC 37621 on a D service back into the town centre, quickly grabbing a meal deal from Greggs before boarding E400MMC 10759 on a 94 to drop me within a five minute walk of Cheltenham Spa station. My intended train, 2T28, the 1723 service from Great Malvern to Westbury, was running to a delay due to a shortage of train crew. Thankfully, I'd allowed enough padding at Gloucester for my onward connection to London, which just so happened to begin from Cheltenham Spa. Nearly twenty minutes late, I boarded 166208. This was my first time on one of the Turbos and I enjoyed the ten-minute journey to Gloucester. I'd definitely hunt more down on a return visit to GWR territory. After a short wait at Gloucester, 1L86, the 1814 to London Paddington, rolled into the same platform I'd alighted from the Turbo on, formed of 802101. It was a very lightly loaded service, with about ten in my carriage at its peak. Upon arrival into London at 2000, I debated how to kill a few hours before boarding the Night Riviera to Plymouth. I ended up deciding on a return trip to Reading, with 800029 there on a busy Oxford-bound service and 387201 on the return. I then waited around for a little while before boarding the sleeper service, with 57603 being the loco on the front. Having cheaped out and only bought a seat, I sat in one of the two seated carriages and dozed off. 

Thursday 26th August 2021

Departure from London was 80 minutes late due to 57603 failing and a replacement having to be sourced from Reading. We were underway at 0105, and I managed to get a few hours sleep before arriving into Plymouth at 0523; the amount of padding in the pathing allowing for such a delay to be made up. I noted that it had been 57605 that had been brought from Reading to get us away. After pottering about in the station for a while, I boarded 06-plate Enviro400 472 on a 51 the city centre. After grabbing a bite to eat, I got my bearings and checked the online tracker to see what was out on the road. Having previously noted that a large number of services covered the interchange at Derriford Hospital, I decided that that would be the best place to head first. 69-plate E400 City 576 rolled onto the Parade with a 42 and I boarded; the journey fell behind schedule due to a high volume of passengers and I missed a connection onto an Omnidekka on the 34 back. I noted an ex-London Enviro400, 460, and caught it back into the city centre the long way round on the 51. It was a good run and there were several points where we sat and waited time. Arriving back at the Royal Parade for just after 0900, I sighted Omnidekka 6009 on the 34 to Derriford and decided to go straight back up. It retained its Brighton & Hove interior like many of those that made their way north in 2015. It seemed to be a mechanically sound vehicle and it arrived at the hospital a good few minutes early. Here, I returned to the city centre on another E400 City, 573, on the 42. I then decided to have a run out to Plympton on the 'Spark' 21/21A network; the ride out was provided by another City, 556, and I got off at a fairly photogenic stop to get a few photos before returning to the city centre on 552, alighting at the Royal Parade at bang-on noon. I had secured early check-in at my Premier Inn to allow me to have a rest to keep me going for the remainder of the day, and made the short walk there. 

After napping and freshening up, I headed out again at about 1415 and caught a short ride up to the railway station on the 72, provided by 63-plate Enviro400 512. After a short wait at the platforms, 2E15, the 1448 service from Penzance, arrived in the form of a 'Castle' HST set, with 43094 leading and 43158 on the rear. This was a very lightly loaded train, with only myself and a handful of others in the rearmost carriage. Upon arriving at Exeter St. David's just before 1600, I made the pleasant walk into the city centre to meet with my friend from Stagecoach South West at a Wetherspoons. If I recall correctly it was called the Chevalier Inn. After a quick bite to eat, we headed for the newly-opened bus station to board stripes-liveried Trident 18308 on a Newton Abbot-bound 2. On his recommendation, we alighted on the winding, upward approach to Exminster and he stalled the driver to enable me to get a photograph. About ten minutes thereafter, we boarded ex-Coastliner 700 Scania N230UD E400 15602 on another 2 back to Exeter. After waiting in the bus station for about fifteen minutes, 18368 appeared with the now-since withdrawn X7 commuter service from Exeter to Torquay. As my companion lives in Paignton, we decided to catch this all the way down to Torquay and finish things off down there. In my years, I have been on many a decent Trident, but this thing was in a league of its own. Following a stop of about twenty minutes to rectify a red ABS light, the driver put his foot down as we headed down the A380 and we achieved 60mph at various points. On arrival at Torquay Strand, we alighted and waited for a 12 to Paignton. I was able to grab a photo of an ex-Sunderland Dart during this brief interval. Scania N250UD MMC 15308 arrived and made a spirited run along the coastal road to the neighbouring Paignton. Despite it being nearly 2000, Paignton bus station was quite busy, with several deckers nearly full loaded. After parting company with my friend, I boarded GWR 150266 on 2E35, a northbound stopping service. After fifteen minutes, I alighted at Newton Abbot and returned to Plymouth on the fairly busy Penzance-bound 802013, having come from London with 1C92. After having had a superb day, I boarded 509 for the short hop to Derry's Cross, dropping me at the door of my Premier Inn. 

Friday 27th August 2021

After having sufficiently caught up on sleep from the previous couple of days, I awoke at 0745 and after getting ready, made the walk up to Plymouth station to board 2U12, the 0850 from Plymouth to Cardiff, comprised of another short HST set; 43016 leading and 43153 on the rear. Although it was initially a quiet ride through the countryside, the train got progressively busier on the other side of Exeter, the bulk of the other passengers disembarking with me at Bristol Temple Meads. A forty-five minute break at Bristol ensued before catching 1A19, the 1204 from Temple Meads to London, in the form of 800315. This was my first time travelling on a GWR service from start point to end point. Again, this was a busy service, but it arrived into Paddington a couple of minutes early at 1339. I had just around five hours to kill before meeting my uncle for dinner and catching the 2100 LNER northbound, so I decided to have a ride about on the Underground and some buses. I headed down into the Underground concourse and boarded a southbound Bakerloo line service as far as Elephant & Castle, operated by 1972 Stock No. 3235. After having lunch at a traditional pie and mash shop in Bermondsey, I caught Go-Ahead London WHV187 on a 188 service as far as Canada Water bus station. At Canada Water, I boarded 378140 on an Overground service to Highbury & Islington. I was bemused by a woman who boarded this service by mistake and pressed the emergency alarm after the doors had closed rather than just jump off at the following station and catch the next train in her intended direction. 

At Highbury & Islington, I tapped out and back in again to catch 2009 Stock No. 11072 on a Victoria service for the few stops to Oxford Circus. Here, I changed onto the Bakerloo line once again and boarded 1972 Stock No. 3543 all the way to the northern terminus of Harrow & Wealdstone. Here, I boarded the Arriva-operated 340 service to Edgware, operated by hybrid Gemini 2 HV172. This vehicle retained its Stagecoach interior, evidence of a TfL contract change somewhere previously. At Edgware, I alighted and boarded the first southbound service on the Northern line, operated by 1995 Stock No. 51663. I alighted at Warren Street and switched onto an extremely busy Victoria line service for the hop over to Oxford Circus. Here, an evidently inexperienced woman among the crowd of standees told her band of children to simply hold onto the pole in the centre and in doing so made it impossible for anyone not standing next to the doors to move. A kind stranger gave them a shove out onto the platform and we were all able to disembark. I made the walk round to the Bakerloo platforms and caught 1972 Stock No. 3547 across to Baker Street where my uncle was waiting for me on the other side of the barriers. After having dinner together at the adjoining Five Guys, I caught a Hammersmith & City service operated by S7 Stock No. 21317 back over to King's Cross and only had to wait a short while before they announced my train, 1N34, the 2100 to Newcastle. I noted that the Azuma was 801213 and watched the mass of humanity making their way further down the train and boarded coach L. It was very quiet in First Class although a number of people from standard whom I presume were unable to find seats did try to join us only to be frog-marched back up the train by the rather taciturn guard. Upon arrival at Durham a few minutes late, I made my way down to the bus stop at Wharton Park to catch the N21 but it failed to materialise. Rather than wait for the one an hour later I opted for a taxi home. After a good few days away, I was in bed for 1am. 

Apologies for the delay in getting this review published, but life gets in the way. I will be back in the north east for ten days at the end of September so will hopefully be able to have a few local outings which may be worthy of a write-up or two. Thanks for reading.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
R852 PRG's Reviews - by R852 PRG - 31 Jul 2015, 2:21 pm
RE: R852 PRG's Reviews - by R852 PRG - 01 Aug 2015, 5:51 pm
RE: R852 PRG's Reviews - by R852 PRG - 02 Aug 2015, 5:24 pm
RE: R852 PRG's Reviews - by MurdnunoC - 02 Aug 2015, 5:43 pm
RE: R852 PRG's Reviews - by S813 FVK - 02 Aug 2015, 5:28 pm
RE: R852 PRG's Reviews - by Jimmi - 02 Aug 2015, 5:31 pm
RE: R852 PRG's Reviews - by northern156 - 02 Aug 2015, 6:01 pm
RE: R852 PRG's Reviews - by Jimmi - 02 Aug 2015, 6:03 pm
RE: R852 PRG's Reviews - by R852 PRG - 04 Aug 2015, 5:33 pm
RE: R852 PRG's Reviews - by S813 FVK - 04 Aug 2015, 5:47 pm