Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events Festival of Transport 2019

Festival of Transport 2019

Festival of Transport 2019

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adrian

14 Jul 2019, 1:52 pm #6

With Sunday sounding a lot more promising than the Saturday, I thought I would pay the extra for a day rover and have a slight detour along to Seaburn. Here's how it turned out:

This is a panoramic view from the vehicle entrance at the top right corner of the field.

This is another panoramic view, this time from the middle of the footpath, which runs down the left hand side of the field.

This is the entirety of the bus display, aside from one vehicle at the far side of the field alone (who knows why??!) and two others out on shuttle...

There were only a handful of people inside. I'd have a rough guess at less than 20, if you discount the people who have turned up as families with their vintage cars on show. There was about 20 cars there, but quite heavily dominated by 90s stuff.

In contrast, there were 3x as many cars turning up at the Coxhoe classic car evening a few weeks ago, and that included Ferraris and Lamborghinis...

It was advertised £2 in for the event, but the table by the entrance was empty, allowing people to just walk straight in. There were four stewards stood by the bottom gate, and nobody by the west vehicle gate.

Review of the day: 2/10, and that is only because its glorious sunshine and I got in for nowt, which makes up for the extra I spent on a Day Rover.

This is now the third event of the North East Festival of Transport, which when launching the idea in 2017, stated: "The event is aiming to fulfil a long held wish of transport enthusiasts in the region to create a major showcase event, similar to those held in some other part of the country."

And that: "Interest among vintage vehicle owners is already high with hundreds of vehicles expected on the large and easily accessible show fields, within sight of Sunderland’s Blue Flag award winning beaches."

So what has happened? Has the long held wish been fulfilled?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
14 Jul 2019, 1:52 pm #6

With Sunday sounding a lot more promising than the Saturday, I thought I would pay the extra for a day rover and have a slight detour along to Seaburn. Here's how it turned out:

This is a panoramic view from the vehicle entrance at the top right corner of the field.

This is another panoramic view, this time from the middle of the footpath, which runs down the left hand side of the field.

This is the entirety of the bus display, aside from one vehicle at the far side of the field alone (who knows why??!) and two others out on shuttle...

There were only a handful of people inside. I'd have a rough guess at less than 20, if you discount the people who have turned up as families with their vintage cars on show. There was about 20 cars there, but quite heavily dominated by 90s stuff.

In contrast, there were 3x as many cars turning up at the Coxhoe classic car evening a few weeks ago, and that included Ferraris and Lamborghinis...

It was advertised £2 in for the event, but the table by the entrance was empty, allowing people to just walk straight in. There were four stewards stood by the bottom gate, and nobody by the west vehicle gate.

Review of the day: 2/10, and that is only because its glorious sunshine and I got in for nowt, which makes up for the extra I spent on a Day Rover.

This is now the third event of the North East Festival of Transport, which when launching the idea in 2017, stated: "The event is aiming to fulfil a long held wish of transport enthusiasts in the region to create a major showcase event, similar to those held in some other part of the country."

And that: "Interest among vintage vehicle owners is already high with hundreds of vehicles expected on the large and easily accessible show fields, within sight of Sunderland’s Blue Flag award winning beaches."

So what has happened? Has the long held wish been fulfilled?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
Festival of Transport 2019 - by stagecoachbusdepot - 13 Jul 2019, 6:52 pm
RE: Festival of Transport 2019 - by busmanT - 13 Jul 2019, 7:10 pm
RE: Festival of Transport 2019 - by BusLoverMum - 13 Jul 2019, 8:41 pm
RE: Festival of Transport 2019 - by Adrian - 13 Jul 2019, 9:44 pm
RE: Festival of Transport 2019 - by MurdnunoC - 14 Jul 2019, 9:32 am
RE: Festival of Transport 2019 - by Adrian - 14 Jul 2019, 1:52 pm
RE: Festival of Transport 2019 - by BusLoverMum - 14 Jul 2019, 9:43 pm
RE: Festival of Transport 2019 - by MurdnunoC - 14 Jul 2019, 8:18 pm
RE: Festival of Transport 2019 - by stagecoachbusdepot - 14 Jul 2019, 9:24 pm