Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (14): Previous 19 10 1114 Next
13 Jul 2023, 7:55 am
(13 Jul 2023, 7:05 am)busmanT £73.5m for capital spending, £90m for revenue spending between now and March 2025 - a significant sum.
According to the publicly available papers for the Joint Transport Committee, £17m is being spent on the BSIP fares.

It's absolutely nothing, £10m of capital spending per council area wouldn't piss in a packet in comparison to the austerity cuts that have been took off them at the same time. Taking money from one hand and then giving a trickle back isn't a significant sum.

Not to mention the real time cuts that have happened because of the inflation the same government caused which hasn't been reflected.

£73.5 for Tyne and Wear would be good, but not for the majority of the North East stretching from Berwick to Barnard Castle.
Storx
13 Jul 2023, 7:55 am #181

(13 Jul 2023, 7:05 am)busmanT £73.5m for capital spending, £90m for revenue spending between now and March 2025 - a significant sum.
According to the publicly available papers for the Joint Transport Committee, £17m is being spent on the BSIP fares.

It's absolutely nothing, £10m of capital spending per council area wouldn't piss in a packet in comparison to the austerity cuts that have been took off them at the same time. Taking money from one hand and then giving a trickle back isn't a significant sum.

Not to mention the real time cuts that have happened because of the inflation the same government caused which hasn't been reflected.

£73.5 for Tyne and Wear would be good, but not for the majority of the North East stretching from Berwick to Barnard Castle.

13 Jul 2023, 9:36 am

For anyone else that's interested, item 9 (page 89 onwards) covers this in the July agenda pack, which is available here

In addition to agreement of the £17m budget allocation mentioned above, the second recommendation is to "Approve the variation of the BSIP Capped Fare Scheme set out in Appendix 1"

It's not very clear what the amendments are from the papers being provided, but I presume that'll be covered by Tobyn (or whoever from TNE) when they present the paper. That being said, I thought I'd take an extract from what's presented in the July agenda pack and what was presented in April, and run a comparison on them. The key differences I can see are:
  • Scheme will now be administered by Network One (this may have always been the intention, but not confirmed).
  • In the Capped Fare Scheme document (July agenda pack - pg.101 onwards); 
  • Schedule 4 Clause 5 (Adjustments to baseline data) has been renumbered to Clause 7, with subsequent clauses renumbered accordingly. 
  • Two new clauses 5 (Reimbursement for Revenue forgone for Adult Day Tickets) and 6 (Estimated Revenue for Adult Fares) have been inserted.

I may be wrong here, but my skim-reading of it is a change to completely reimburse operators of any perceived lost revenue overall; e.g. through singles/returns/commercial day tickets, where these multi-modal tickets have been purchased and used instead. I had previously understood it to be a like-for-like reimbursement on the difference between the Network One equivalent and the new price cap (para 17 and 18).

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
13 Jul 2023, 9:36 am #182

For anyone else that's interested, item 9 (page 89 onwards) covers this in the July agenda pack, which is available here

In addition to agreement of the £17m budget allocation mentioned above, the second recommendation is to "Approve the variation of the BSIP Capped Fare Scheme set out in Appendix 1"

It's not very clear what the amendments are from the papers being provided, but I presume that'll be covered by Tobyn (or whoever from TNE) when they present the paper. That being said, I thought I'd take an extract from what's presented in the July agenda pack and what was presented in April, and run a comparison on them. The key differences I can see are:
  • Scheme will now be administered by Network One (this may have always been the intention, but not confirmed).
  • In the Capped Fare Scheme document (July agenda pack - pg.101 onwards); 
  • Schedule 4 Clause 5 (Adjustments to baseline data) has been renumbered to Clause 7, with subsequent clauses renumbered accordingly. 
  • Two new clauses 5 (Reimbursement for Revenue forgone for Adult Day Tickets) and 6 (Estimated Revenue for Adult Fares) have been inserted.

I may be wrong here, but my skim-reading of it is a change to completely reimburse operators of any perceived lost revenue overall; e.g. through singles/returns/commercial day tickets, where these multi-modal tickets have been purchased and used instead. I had previously understood it to be a like-for-like reimbursement on the difference between the Network One equivalent and the new price cap (para 17 and 18).

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

19 Jul 2023, 7:14 am
Cheaper Metro and bus fares agreed in £50m cash injection for North East public transport

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...d-27348653
citaro5284
19 Jul 2023, 7:14 am #183

Cheaper Metro and bus fares agreed in £50m cash injection for North East public transport

19 Jul 2023, 11:22 am
(19 Jul 2023, 7:14 am)citaro5284 Cheaper Metro and bus fares agreed in £50m cash injection for North East public transport

Hahaha yes. Screw the £9.10 & £12.70 tickets. Way cheaper now
Busu284
19 Jul 2023, 11:22 am #184

(19 Jul 2023, 7:14 am)citaro5284 Cheaper Metro and bus fares agreed in £50m cash injection for North East public transport

Hahaha yes. Screw the £9.10 & £12.70 tickets. Way cheaper now

19 Jul 2023, 12:09 pm
(19 Jul 2023, 11:22 am)Busu284 Hahaha yes. Screw the £9.10 & £12.70 tickets. Way cheaper now

Press release now from TNE....

https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/la...utWpiXZdrY
citaro5284
19 Jul 2023, 12:09 pm #185

(19 Jul 2023, 11:22 am)Busu284 Hahaha yes. Screw the £9.10 & £12.70 tickets. Way cheaper now

Press release now from TNE....

19 Jul 2023, 12:22 pm
(19 Jul 2023, 12:09 pm)citaro5284 Press release now from TNE....

A sticking plaster to cover a gid big wound, that operators don't actually seem either to have the will to fix or actually have the capability of actually fixing.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
19 Jul 2023, 12:22 pm #186

(19 Jul 2023, 12:09 pm)citaro5284 Press release now from TNE....

A sticking plaster to cover a gid big wound, that operators don't actually seem either to have the will to fix or actually have the capability of actually fixing.

19 Jul 2023, 1:49 pm
Quote:A region-wide multi-operator day ticket will be introduced at £6.80 for unlimited travel by bus, Metro and Ferry across all of Tyne and Wear, Northumberland and Durham. Currently the existing equivalent – the North East Explorer ticket costs £12.70 meaning passengers will save 46% on this fare alone.

A little bit disingenuous that statement, whilst I welcome this particular ticket which will mean better options for those needing two operators or just even the flexibility to use another operator if they’re disruptions etc. The explorer ticket covers a lot more areas, namely the Tees Valley region + the 685 to Carlisle & a chunk of North Yorkshire too.  So yes 46% saving, but you’re not getting as much for it. 

I do welcome the plans but I can’t help but feel like it’s geographical politics to not include the Tees Valley. When there’s arguably a lot of cross boundary travel.
Drifter60
19 Jul 2023, 1:49 pm #187

Quote:A region-wide multi-operator day ticket will be introduced at £6.80 for unlimited travel by bus, Metro and Ferry across all of Tyne and Wear, Northumberland and Durham. Currently the existing equivalent – the North East Explorer ticket costs £12.70 meaning passengers will save 46% on this fare alone.

A little bit disingenuous that statement, whilst I welcome this particular ticket which will mean better options for those needing two operators or just even the flexibility to use another operator if they’re disruptions etc. The explorer ticket covers a lot more areas, namely the Tees Valley region + the 685 to Carlisle & a chunk of North Yorkshire too.  So yes 46% saving, but you’re not getting as much for it. 

I do welcome the plans but I can’t help but feel like it’s geographical politics to not include the Tees Valley. When there’s arguably a lot of cross boundary travel.

19 Jul 2023, 2:26 pm
(19 Jul 2023, 1:49 pm)Drifter60 A little bit disingenuous that statement, whilst I welcome this particular ticket which will mean better options for those needing two operators or just even the flexibility to use another operator if they’re disruptions etc. The explorer ticket covers a lot more areas, namely the Tees Valley region + the 685 to Carlisle & a chunk of North Yorkshire too.  So yes 46% saving, but you’re not getting as much for it. 

Tees Valley is a different combined authority which gets its own funding stream (BSIP+) and can make its own decisions on how to use the money.

For those who want to travel across the boundary between the “North East Combined Authority” and the “Tees Valley Combined Authority” there are still operators own tickets and Explorer.

(19 Jul 2023, 12:22 pm)Andreos1 A sticking plaster to cover a gid big wound, that operators don't actually seem either to have the will to fix or actually have the capability of actually fixing.

If the new fares attract new passengers then the sticking plaster won’t need to be as big.
busmanT
19 Jul 2023, 2:26 pm #188

(19 Jul 2023, 1:49 pm)Drifter60 A little bit disingenuous that statement, whilst I welcome this particular ticket which will mean better options for those needing two operators or just even the flexibility to use another operator if they’re disruptions etc. The explorer ticket covers a lot more areas, namely the Tees Valley region + the 685 to Carlisle & a chunk of North Yorkshire too.  So yes 46% saving, but you’re not getting as much for it. 

Tees Valley is a different combined authority which gets its own funding stream (BSIP+) and can make its own decisions on how to use the money.

For those who want to travel across the boundary between the “North East Combined Authority” and the “Tees Valley Combined Authority” there are still operators own tickets and Explorer.

(19 Jul 2023, 12:22 pm)Andreos1 A sticking plaster to cover a gid big wound, that operators don't actually seem either to have the will to fix or actually have the capability of actually fixing.

If the new fares attract new passengers then the sticking plaster won’t need to be as big.

19 Jul 2023, 4:33 pm
(19 Jul 2023, 2:26 pm)busmanT Tees Valley is a different combined authority which gets its own funding stream (BSIP+) and can make its own decisions on how to use the money.

I'm a big fan of lower fares. 
But as we've seen many times already, lower fares don't guarantee success. 
They're only part of the cure.

The biggest issue is finding out where passengers are going and needing to be and adapting the network to suit.
There's that famous map at Beamish of the Northern network way back when.
It's not really changed much in all the years since, despite huge population, demographic, workplace and culture changes.

Nobody went anywhere on a Sunday, they all went to town/city centres for the shopping and those who worked, generally worked in the major local employer.
We all know that's not the case now and if we are honest, a lower priced day ticket and a couple of additional bus lanes/traffic lights, that do nothing but inconvenience car drivers, isn't going to make that much difference in the grand scheme of things.

Andreos1
19 Jul 2023, 4:33 pm #189

(19 Jul 2023, 2:26 pm)busmanT Tees Valley is a different combined authority which gets its own funding stream (BSIP+) and can make its own decisions on how to use the money.

I'm a big fan of lower fares. 
But as we've seen many times already, lower fares don't guarantee success. 
They're only part of the cure.

The biggest issue is finding out where passengers are going and needing to be and adapting the network to suit.
There's that famous map at Beamish of the Northern network way back when.
It's not really changed much in all the years since, despite huge population, demographic, workplace and culture changes.

Nobody went anywhere on a Sunday, they all went to town/city centres for the shopping and those who worked, generally worked in the major local employer.
We all know that's not the case now and if we are honest, a lower priced day ticket and a couple of additional bus lanes/traffic lights, that do nothing but inconvenience car drivers, isn't going to make that much difference in the grand scheme of things.

19 Jul 2023, 4:51 pm
Good to see the money is going to the roads budget and replacing traffic lights.

Ignoring the fares side, you'd almost believe that Northumberland and Co. Durham don't exist which is nothing new up here.
Storx
19 Jul 2023, 4:51 pm #190

Good to see the money is going to the roads budget and replacing traffic lights.

Ignoring the fares side, you'd almost believe that Northumberland and Co. Durham don't exist which is nothing new up here.

07 Aug 2023, 2:58 pm
‘Sunderland’s worst roundabout’ to be replaced with new traffic light system
A roundabout dubbed ‘the worst in Sunderland’ is to be replaced with a new traffic light system. Work is scheduled to begin in spring 2025.

However, a North East Joint Transport Committee, at which Sunderland City Council was represented by its leader Cllr Graeme Miller, agreed on July 18 to allocate £33.2million of funding from the Government to upgrade traffic signals and key junctions across the region as part of the Bus Service Improvement Plan.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/peop...em-4245443

About time!

It was lethal when I went to Broadway Juniors - a lass in my year was knocked over and ended up breaking her leg in 3 places, that was in 2000... seen many close calls during rush hour too.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
07 Aug 2023, 2:58 pm #191

‘Sunderland’s worst roundabout’ to be replaced with new traffic light system
A roundabout dubbed ‘the worst in Sunderland’ is to be replaced with a new traffic light system. Work is scheduled to begin in spring 2025.

However, a North East Joint Transport Committee, at which Sunderland City Council was represented by its leader Cllr Graeme Miller, agreed on July 18 to allocate £33.2million of funding from the Government to upgrade traffic signals and key junctions across the region as part of the Bus Service Improvement Plan.

About time!

It was lethal when I went to Broadway Juniors - a lass in my year was knocked over and ended up breaking her leg in 3 places, that was in 2000... seen many close calls during rush hour too.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

07 Aug 2023, 3:20 pm
(07 Aug 2023, 2:58 pm)Michael ‘Sunderland’s worst roundabout’ to be replaced with new traffic light system

About time!

In all fairness the traffic chaos on Chester Road is more likely to be caused by the roundabout at the bottom of the hill. But any work to change to a Sandhills type layout should be replicated there, and at the worst of all Bridge Street farce leading onto the Wearmouth Bridge. Miller and Co have their heads up their arses when it comes to traffic. That's why the 'strategic' corridor ends at the Bridge Street roundabout ...
54APhotography
07 Aug 2023, 3:20 pm #192

(07 Aug 2023, 2:58 pm)Michael ‘Sunderland’s worst roundabout’ to be replaced with new traffic light system

About time!

In all fairness the traffic chaos on Chester Road is more likely to be caused by the roundabout at the bottom of the hill. But any work to change to a Sandhills type layout should be replicated there, and at the worst of all Bridge Street farce leading onto the Wearmouth Bridge. Miller and Co have their heads up their arses when it comes to traffic. That's why the 'strategic' corridor ends at the Bridge Street roundabout ...

07 Aug 2023, 3:31 pm
(07 Aug 2023, 3:20 pm)54APhotography In all fairness the traffic chaos on Chester Road is more likely to be caused by the roundabout at the bottom of the hill. But any work to change to a Sandhills type layout should be replicated there, and at the worst of all Bridge Street farce leading onto the Wearmouth Bridge. Miller and Co have their heads up their arses when it comes to traffic. That's why the 'strategic' corridor ends at the Bridge Street roundabout ...

Ye, that's where the work is happening, I think it was made worse when they added more lanes in and didn't change the roundabout at all, hopefully this helps but I doubt it... work starts in Spring 2025 - can imagine, its going to be chaos... massive diversions for the buses too no doubt.

Bridge street has always been bad too, even before the road was changed.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
07 Aug 2023, 3:31 pm #193

(07 Aug 2023, 3:20 pm)54APhotography In all fairness the traffic chaos on Chester Road is more likely to be caused by the roundabout at the bottom of the hill. But any work to change to a Sandhills type layout should be replicated there, and at the worst of all Bridge Street farce leading onto the Wearmouth Bridge. Miller and Co have their heads up their arses when it comes to traffic. That's why the 'strategic' corridor ends at the Bridge Street roundabout ...

Ye, that's where the work is happening, I think it was made worse when they added more lanes in and didn't change the roundabout at all, hopefully this helps but I doubt it... work starts in Spring 2025 - can imagine, its going to be chaos... massive diversions for the buses too no doubt.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

07 Aug 2023, 3:37 pm
(07 Aug 2023, 3:31 pm)Michael Ye, that's where the work is happening, I think it was made worse when they added more lanes in and didn't change the roundabout at all, hopefully this helps but I doubt it... work starts in Spring 2025 - can imagine, its going to be chaos... massive diversions for the buses too no doubt.

Indeed, the biggest factor, which councils fail to react to is cars on the road. A fix five years ago is now overwhelmed. Bridge Street is a disaster for public transport, council should ban all cars and taxis from that area, force them to use alternate routes, yes that puts pressure elsewhere, but sometimes only one bus can get out in the stupidly short cycle, and the right turn off St. Mary's is often fouling the path.

Suggestions of X24 using Kyall Road and Hylton Road probably won't happen so expect big delays on that route
54APhotography
07 Aug 2023, 3:37 pm #194

(07 Aug 2023, 3:31 pm)Michael Ye, that's where the work is happening, I think it was made worse when they added more lanes in and didn't change the roundabout at all, hopefully this helps but I doubt it... work starts in Spring 2025 - can imagine, its going to be chaos... massive diversions for the buses too no doubt.

Indeed, the biggest factor, which councils fail to react to is cars on the road. A fix five years ago is now overwhelmed. Bridge Street is a disaster for public transport, council should ban all cars and taxis from that area, force them to use alternate routes, yes that puts pressure elsewhere, but sometimes only one bus can get out in the stupidly short cycle, and the right turn off St. Mary's is often fouling the path.

Suggestions of X24 using Kyall Road and Hylton Road probably won't happen so expect big delays on that route

07 Aug 2023, 3:43 pm
Traffic lights there will not make things better, I can say that with pretty much confidence.

There's way too many flows for them to work as there's roughly 6 sequences.

Another one for the local 'experts' which have improved places such as South Gosforth, Gosforth, Heworth, Sandy Lane, Findus Roundabout, Four Lane Ends with there fully freeflowing traffic at all times now. Not sure what this has got anything to do with buses either. Sounds like they're topping up their highways budget.
Storx
07 Aug 2023, 3:43 pm #195

Traffic lights there will not make things better, I can say that with pretty much confidence.

There's way too many flows for them to work as there's roughly 6 sequences.

Another one for the local 'experts' which have improved places such as South Gosforth, Gosforth, Heworth, Sandy Lane, Findus Roundabout, Four Lane Ends with there fully freeflowing traffic at all times now. Not sure what this has got anything to do with buses either. Sounds like they're topping up their highways budget.

07 Aug 2023, 4:03 pm
(07 Aug 2023, 3:37 pm)54APhotography Indeed, the biggest factor, which councils fail to react to is cars on the road. A fix five years ago is now overwhelmed. Bridge Street is a disaster for public transport, council should ban all cars and taxis from that area, force them to use alternate routes, yes that puts pressure elsewhere, but sometimes only one bus can get out in the stupidly short cycle, and the right turn off St. Mary's is often fouling the path.

Its going to be a nightmare - massive bus delays unless they somehow work around the actual work to do "normal routes" but don't think that's possible due to junction set ups.

Hopefully the bus companies are told in advance (like 4 months) to get diversions sorted before they officially start work but known the council, it'll be a week before.........

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
07 Aug 2023, 4:03 pm #196

(07 Aug 2023, 3:37 pm)54APhotography Indeed, the biggest factor, which councils fail to react to is cars on the road. A fix five years ago is now overwhelmed. Bridge Street is a disaster for public transport, council should ban all cars and taxis from that area, force them to use alternate routes, yes that puts pressure elsewhere, but sometimes only one bus can get out in the stupidly short cycle, and the right turn off St. Mary's is often fouling the path.

Its going to be a nightmare - massive bus delays unless they somehow work around the actual work to do "normal routes" but don't think that's possible due to junction set ups.

Hopefully the bus companies are told in advance (like 4 months) to get diversions sorted before they officially start work but known the council, it'll be a week before.........

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

07 Aug 2023, 4:15 pm
(07 Aug 2023, 4:03 pm)Michael Its going to be a nightmare - massive bus delays unless they somehow work around the actual work to do "normal routes" but don't think that's possible due to junction set ups.

Aye indeed. Think SCNE could use this as a measure for the X24, sending it alternate routes to Hastings Hill could be a good pointer as to where more income can be made. Despite being that fastest and most useful in terms on onward travel, at times the X24 is down to single figures inside... Observing stops on diversion routes often throw up interesting figures
54APhotography
07 Aug 2023, 4:15 pm #197

(07 Aug 2023, 4:03 pm)Michael Its going to be a nightmare - massive bus delays unless they somehow work around the actual work to do "normal routes" but don't think that's possible due to junction set ups.

Aye indeed. Think SCNE could use this as a measure for the X24, sending it alternate routes to Hastings Hill could be a good pointer as to where more income can be made. Despite being that fastest and most useful in terms on onward travel, at times the X24 is down to single figures inside... Observing stops on diversion routes often throw up interesting figures

07 Aug 2023, 6:30 pm

The trouble with the roundabout onto the bridge is twits who don't know what a yellow box is.

Set up a yellow box camera there and they'll make a fortune.
F114TML
07 Aug 2023, 6:30 pm #198

The trouble with the roundabout onto the bridge is twits who don't know what a yellow box is.

07 Aug 2023, 6:37 pm
(07 Aug 2023, 6:30 pm)F114TML The trouble with the roundabout onto the bridge is twits who don't know what a yellow box is.

Indeed, everyday they do it....
54APhotography
07 Aug 2023, 6:37 pm #199

(07 Aug 2023, 6:30 pm)F114TML The trouble with the roundabout onto the bridge is twits who don't know what a yellow box is.

Indeed, everyday they do it....

07 Aug 2023, 6:43 pm
(07 Aug 2023, 6:30 pm)F114TML The trouble with the roundabout onto the bridge is twits who know what a yellow box is and ignore it anyway as they don't want to wait.

Fixed it for you. Mind bus driver's can't win a medal for it, they constantly block the one outside Haymarket, or used to at least until the fines started rolling in.

I've nearly seen full scale gridlock there by a Stagecoach driver ignoring the yellow box coming out of St Thomas Street and two Arriva buses coming out of Haymarket blocking that yellow box and no-one being able to move.
Storx
07 Aug 2023, 6:43 pm #200

(07 Aug 2023, 6:30 pm)F114TML The trouble with the roundabout onto the bridge is twits who know what a yellow box is and ignore it anyway as they don't want to wait.

Fixed it for you. Mind bus driver's can't win a medal for it, they constantly block the one outside Haymarket, or used to at least until the fines started rolling in.

I've nearly seen full scale gridlock there by a Stagecoach driver ignoring the yellow box coming out of St Thomas Street and two Arriva buses coming out of Haymarket blocking that yellow box and no-one being able to move.

Pages (14): Previous 19 10 1114 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 18
Views 2419
14 Feb 2024, 2:41 pm
Last Post by Storx
Replies 107
Views 23159
01 Oct 2023, 5:44 pm
Last Post by MetrolineGA1511
Replies 13