Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Whats made you happy today?

Whats made you happy today?

Whats made you happy today?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (203): Previous 1129 130 131203 Next
04 Aug 2015, 11:08 am
(04 Aug 2015, 10:59 am)LeeCalder I am fully aware of that, however, I don't like being referred to as a bus spotter because of the stereotypes that are attached to it. For that reason, I'd rather be labeled at Bus Enthusiast.

A bit like when I go to to get my train photos, most people around my age that do so HATE being called a train spotter. So do I, I am a train enthusiast.
Don't get why it annoys some so much as they mean exactly the same thing to most people anyway.
Jimmi
04 Aug 2015, 11:08 am #2581

(04 Aug 2015, 10:59 am)LeeCalder I am fully aware of that, however, I don't like being referred to as a bus spotter because of the stereotypes that are attached to it. For that reason, I'd rather be labeled at Bus Enthusiast.

A bit like when I go to to get my train photos, most people around my age that do so HATE being called a train spotter. So do I, I am a train enthusiast.
Don't get why it annoys some so much as they mean exactly the same thing to most people anyway.

04 Aug 2015, 11:10 am
(04 Aug 2015, 11:08 am)Jimmi Don't get why it annoys some so much as they mean exactly the same thing to most people anyway.

Exactly. It doesn't matter what you call yourself, some people will always look at the hobby in a derogatory light.
MurdnunoC
04 Aug 2015, 11:10 am #2582

(04 Aug 2015, 11:08 am)Jimmi Don't get why it annoys some so much as they mean exactly the same thing to most people anyway.

Exactly. It doesn't matter what you call yourself, some people will always look at the hobby in a derogatory light.

04 Aug 2015, 11:28 am
Why does anyone honestly give a hoot what people think/say? Sure, you may get a few jibes for it not being a 'mainstream' hobby or whatnot, but that's about it!

I don't make a point of banging on about any of my hobbies to anyone, but that's because they're my hobbies, and I realise not everyone will share the same interests. I'll talk about football to friends on a Saturday morning, I'll talk about collecting rave music and vinyl to friends I know through that scene, and I'll talk about buses to people I know through this scene.

End of the day, if you're embarrassed about it being a hobby, then it's not a hobby. Where's the enjoyment of looking over your shoulder constantly?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 Aug 2015, 11:28 am #2583

Why does anyone honestly give a hoot what people think/say? Sure, you may get a few jibes for it not being a 'mainstream' hobby or whatnot, but that's about it!

I don't make a point of banging on about any of my hobbies to anyone, but that's because they're my hobbies, and I realise not everyone will share the same interests. I'll talk about football to friends on a Saturday morning, I'll talk about collecting rave music and vinyl to friends I know through that scene, and I'll talk about buses to people I know through this scene.

End of the day, if you're embarrassed about it being a hobby, then it's not a hobby. Where's the enjoyment of looking over your shoulder constantly?

04 Aug 2015, 11:29 am

Because I had the piss taken out of me for about 5 years at school, that's why.
LeeCalder
04 Aug 2015, 11:29 am #2584

Because I had the piss taken out of me for about 5 years at school, that's why.

04 Aug 2015, 11:41 am
(04 Aug 2015, 11:29 am)LeeCalder Because I had the piss taken out of me for about 5 years at school, that's why.

And does referring to yourself as a "bus enthusiast" make you any less prone to bullying than "bus spotter"?

This is a hobby many will take the mick out of you through school though.
Jimmi
04 Aug 2015, 11:41 am #2585

(04 Aug 2015, 11:29 am)LeeCalder Because I had the piss taken out of me for about 5 years at school, that's why.

And does referring to yourself as a "bus enthusiast" make you any less prone to bullying than "bus spotter"?

MrFozz
Marxista Fozzski
04 Aug 2015, 11:43 am
(04 Aug 2015, 11:28 am)aureolin Why does anyone honestly give a hoot what people think/say? Sure, you may get a few jibes for it not being a 'mainstream' hobby or whatnot, but that's about it!

I agree with that, that is the point I am trying to put across
I'm sorry you have had to go through that Lee, I really am, I can say I know what it feels like to be bullied, I was nearly bullied to death mate...Literally

End of the day, you need to think about it, if your looking over your shoulder, Adrian is right, your losing out on the 'enjoyment', am not here to have a dig or anything, you need to take a real look at your hobby and if you really do enjoy it mate...

Think about it mate
MrFozz
04 Aug 2015, 11:43 am #2586

(04 Aug 2015, 11:28 am)aureolin Why does anyone honestly give a hoot what people think/say? Sure, you may get a few jibes for it not being a 'mainstream' hobby or whatnot, but that's about it!

I agree with that, that is the point I am trying to put across
I'm sorry you have had to go through that Lee, I really am, I can say I know what it feels like to be bullied, I was nearly bullied to death mate...Literally

End of the day, you need to think about it, if your looking over your shoulder, Adrian is right, your losing out on the 'enjoyment', am not here to have a dig or anything, you need to take a real look at your hobby and if you really do enjoy it mate...

Think about it mate

04 Aug 2015, 11:47 am
What I was meaning was that I feel like I'm being looked down on as a "bus spotter" by "higher-up" enthusiasts not by other members of the public.
omnicity4659
04 Aug 2015, 11:47 am #2587

What I was meaning was that I feel like I'm being looked down on as a "bus spotter" by "higher-up" enthusiasts not by other members of the public.

04 Aug 2015, 11:49 am
(04 Aug 2015, 11:47 am)GX03 SVC What I was meaning was that I feel like I'm being looked down on as a "bus spotter" by "higher-up" enthusiasts not by other members of the public.
Try not to think that, some of these "higher up" bus spotters probably think they are better than what they actually are and some won't have time for the less known enthusiasts on the scene.
Jimmi
04 Aug 2015, 11:49 am #2588

(04 Aug 2015, 11:47 am)GX03 SVC What I was meaning was that I feel like I'm being looked down on as a "bus spotter" by "higher-up" enthusiasts not by other members of the public.
Try not to think that, some of these "higher up" bus spotters probably think they are better than what they actually are and some won't have time for the less known enthusiasts on the scene.

MrFozz
Marxista Fozzski
04 Aug 2015, 11:55 am
Do your own thing, don't give a shit what others think, go about your own business and people bring you down...
MrFozz
04 Aug 2015, 11:55 am #2589

Do your own thing, don't give a shit what others think, go about your own business and people bring you down...

04 Aug 2015, 11:55 am
(04 Aug 2015, 11:41 am)Jimmi And does referring to yourself as a "bus enthusiast" make you any less prone to bullying than "bus spotter"?

It does yes. Purely because of the stereotypes associated with the word "Bus Spotter".
LeeCalder
04 Aug 2015, 11:55 am #2590

(04 Aug 2015, 11:41 am)Jimmi And does referring to yourself as a "bus enthusiast" make you any less prone to bullying than "bus spotter"?

It does yes. Purely because of the stereotypes associated with the word "Bus Spotter".

04 Aug 2015, 11:56 am
Back when I was a lad, we didn't have facebook. And the only game we had on a mobile phone was snake.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
04 Aug 2015, 11:56 am #2591

Back when I was a lad, we didn't have facebook. And the only game we had on a mobile phone was snake.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

MrFozz
Marxista Fozzski
04 Aug 2015, 11:57 am
(04 Aug 2015, 11:56 am)GMitchelhill Back when I was a lad, we didn't have facebook. And the only game we had on a mobile phone was snake.
Remember those days well
MrFozz
04 Aug 2015, 11:57 am #2592

(04 Aug 2015, 11:56 am)GMitchelhill Back when I was a lad, we didn't have facebook. And the only game we had on a mobile phone was snake.
Remember those days well

04 Aug 2015, 11:59 am
I'm
(04 Aug 2015, 11:43 am)MrFozz I agree with that, that is the point I am trying to put across

Think about it mate

I really do enjoy doing it, and I'm not going to stop doing it because I keep having to look over my shoulder. It doesn't bother me. And I'm not going to stop because some dimwits think they're funny by making a joke out of me.
LeeCalder
04 Aug 2015, 11:59 am #2593

I'm

(04 Aug 2015, 11:43 am)MrFozz I agree with that, that is the point I am trying to put across

Think about it mate

I really do enjoy doing it, and I'm not going to stop doing it because I keep having to look over my shoulder. It doesn't bother me. And I'm not going to stop because some dimwits think they're funny by making a joke out of me.

MrFozz
Marxista Fozzski
04 Aug 2015, 12:00 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 11:55 am)LeeCalder It does yes. Purely because of the stereotypes associated with the word "Bus Spotter".
Lee, Lee, Lee

End of the day, it is what you are, it is what I am, it is what Jimmi is(soz dude)

Bus Spotter/Train Spotter, that is what we are, whether we like it or not...

In reality the more we whinge and moan about it, it will give your tormentors ammunition to pick on you and wind you up
MrFozz
04 Aug 2015, 12:00 pm #2594

(04 Aug 2015, 11:55 am)LeeCalder It does yes. Purely because of the stereotypes associated with the word "Bus Spotter".
Lee, Lee, Lee

End of the day, it is what you are, it is what I am, it is what Jimmi is(soz dude)

In reality the more we whinge and moan about it, it will give your tormentors ammunition to pick on you and wind you up

04 Aug 2015, 12:02 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 12:00 pm)MrFozz Lee, Lee, Lee

Point taken. I'll shut up moaning Rolleyes

Sorry everyone.
LeeCalder
04 Aug 2015, 12:02 pm #2595

(04 Aug 2015, 12:00 pm)MrFozz Lee, Lee, Lee

Point taken. I'll shut up moaning Rolleyes

Sorry everyone.

04 Aug 2015, 1:23 pm
In an Eddie Spotter to!
idiot
04 Aug 2015, 1:23 pm #2596

In an Eddie Spotter to!

04 Aug 2015, 3:05 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 11:47 am)GX03 SVC What I was meaning was that I feel like I'm being looked down on as a "bus spotter" by "higher-up" enthusiasts not by other members of the public.

I got back into buses as a hobby about 2 and half months ago. I spot using pen and paper and I take photos.

Personally I could not care what any "higher up" enthusiast thought of me. I may not have as much knowledge of the current bus scene as others but I enjoy it greatly.

You should not feel looked down on by anyone. If you enjoy the hobby keep doing it. I certainly intend to keep on with this hobby now that I've re-discovered it.

Charles
Charles41
04 Aug 2015, 3:05 pm #2597

(04 Aug 2015, 11:47 am)GX03 SVC What I was meaning was that I feel like I'm being looked down on as a "bus spotter" by "higher-up" enthusiasts not by other members of the public.

I got back into buses as a hobby about 2 and half months ago. I spot using pen and paper and I take photos.

Personally I could not care what any "higher up" enthusiast thought of me. I may not have as much knowledge of the current bus scene as others but I enjoy it greatly.

You should not feel looked down on by anyone. If you enjoy the hobby keep doing it. I certainly intend to keep on with this hobby now that I've re-discovered it.

Charles

04 Aug 2015, 4:18 pm
So come on. Million Pound question: What determines whether or not you're a "highly respected" enthusiast? 

It seems to be, that if you've taken pictures or been around since the year dot, then you automatically command respect from the entire hobby. I've never understood it, and probably never will. I've always just taken each individual as I find them, and if they're alright with me, then they'll always get that mutual respect back. Respect is something that is earned though, and not something that is accumulated or inherited.

Adrian
04 Aug 2015, 4:18 pm #2598

So come on. Million Pound question: What determines whether or not you're a "highly respected" enthusiast? 

It seems to be, that if you've taken pictures or been around since the year dot, then you automatically command respect from the entire hobby. I've never understood it, and probably never will. I've always just taken each individual as I find them, and if they're alright with me, then they'll always get that mutual respect back. Respect is something that is earned though, and not something that is accumulated or inherited.

04 Aug 2015, 4:26 pm
(04 Aug 2015, 4:18 pm)aureolin So come on. Million Pound question: What determines whether or not you're a "highly respected" enthusiast? 

Or maybe standing at a well known Newcastle bus station for long periods day in and day out.... Tongue
citaro5284
04 Aug 2015, 4:26 pm #2599

(04 Aug 2015, 4:18 pm)aureolin So come on. Million Pound question: What determines whether or not you're a "highly respected" enthusiast? 

Or maybe standing at a well known Newcastle bus station for long periods day in and day out.... Tongue

04 Aug 2015, 4:43 pm

I suppose it depends what some define as "respect" in one sense I say it would be those who always have information and have been providing for a long period of time. In another sense I would say respect comes from getting to know other enthusiasts and getting them to like you and be your friend etc.
Jimmi
04 Aug 2015, 4:43 pm #2600

I suppose it depends what some define as "respect" in one sense I say it would be those who always have information and have been providing for a long period of time. In another sense I would say respect comes from getting to know other enthusiasts and getting them to like you and be your friend etc.

Pages (203): Previous 1129 130 131203 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 994
Views 510169
16 May 2024, 11:48 am
Last Post by Andreos1
Replies 3815
Views 1756878
14 May 2024, 1:23 pm
Last Post by Rob44
Replies 2999