Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Stagecoach North East Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (7): Previous 14 5 6 7 Next
18 Sep 2013, 8:45 pm
The 23 gets decent loadings

The 5/5A is a good choice.. new buses could let Stagecoach keep the contract part of the service

Think by the new year we could see the whole fleet nearly Enviro and Gas.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
18 Sep 2013, 8:45 pm #81

The 23 gets decent loadings

The 5/5A is a good choice.. new buses could let Stagecoach keep the contract part of the service

Think by the new year we could see the whole fleet nearly Enviro and Gas.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

19 Sep 2013, 12:19 pm
On the X34 for the first time and a E400 for the first time... i have to say i like the E400. Smile

On the 100 now.. first time, same for the E300... good bus..

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
19 Sep 2013, 12:19 pm #82

On the X34 for the first time and a E400 for the first time... i have to say i like the E400. Smile

On the 100 now.. first time, same for the E300... good bus..

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

19 Sep 2013, 2:44 pm
My random Journey today.

35 From Prospect to park lane
38 - Park lane to ASDA
38 - ASDA to park lane
X3 - park lane to Boldon ASDA
X34 – Boldon ASDA to Newcastle
100 – Newcastle to Metrocentre
X66 – Metrocentre to Gateshead
Metro to Park Lane
23 from Homeside to Springwell

All Normal Allocations

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
19 Sep 2013, 2:44 pm #83

My random Journey today.

35 From Prospect to park lane
38 - Park lane to ASDA
38 - ASDA to park lane
X3 - park lane to Boldon ASDA
X34 – Boldon ASDA to Newcastle
100 – Newcastle to Metrocentre
X66 – Metrocentre to Gateshead
Metro to Park Lane
23 from Homeside to Springwell

All Normal Allocations

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

19 Sep 2013, 5:04 pm
Not that important, but 19194 was displaying '34' on its rear blind while operating a Horsley Hill-bound X34.
BJ10VUS
19 Sep 2013, 5:04 pm #84

Not that important, but 19194 was displaying '34' on its rear blind while operating a Horsley Hill-bound X34.

21 Sep 2013, 9:25 am
The 3 isn't the best bus for timing and soon as some roadworks are on the route the reliability suffers.
idiot
21 Sep 2013, 9:25 am #86

The 3 isn't the best bus for timing and soon as some roadworks are on the route the reliability suffers.

21 Sep 2013, 9:55 am
The whole Sunderland stagecoach network could do with a refresh. Scrap the 10 minute frequencies and start some new routes.
Acky81
21 Sep 2013, 9:55 am #87

The whole Sunderland stagecoach network could do with a refresh. Scrap the 10 minute frequencies and start some new routes.

21 Sep 2013, 10:43 am
(21 Sep 2013, 9:25 am)idiot The 3 isn't the best bus for timing and soon as some roadworks are on the route the reliability suffers.

When i used to work in Hylton Castle - i had this problem 5 days a week and that included the 6:41am bus from the prospect

I had some suggestions for changes.

8 and 20 merged keep at every 10 mins
18/19 Split - no one ever uses the service (only peak times) - surprised they still running

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Sep 2013, 10:43 am #88

(21 Sep 2013, 9:25 am)idiot The 3 isn't the best bus for timing and soon as some roadworks are on the route the reliability suffers.

When i used to work in Hylton Castle - i had this problem 5 days a week and that included the 6:41am bus from the prospect

I had some suggestions for changes.

8 and 20 merged keep at every 10 mins
18/19 Split - no one ever uses the service (only peak times) - surprised they still running

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

21 Sep 2013, 10:55 am
Im assuming you mean sending the 20 to south hylton? As that would add atleast an extra 10 minutes onto journeys from Prestbury road and does South Hylton need a every 10 minute bus when they have the metro.
21 Sep 2013, 10:55 am #89

Im assuming you mean sending the 20 to south hylton? As that would add atleast an extra 10 minutes onto journeys from Prestbury road and does South Hylton need a every 10 minute bus when they have the metro.

Dan
Site Administrator
21 Sep 2013, 10:57 am
I'd definitely like to see the 8/20 merged, but how would it work?

There is a small turning circle just before Prestbury Road (see here - I think you will need to be on a computer to view it though) where the service could turn around and then head back down Hylton Road to St Annes, where it could pursue the usual 8 route.
Can full size single deckers be used on the 8 though? Some of the estates the 8 goes through in South Hylton are pretty tight, but not much tighter than those in Hill View (and I've seen ALX300s be used on the 10/11 very occasionally).
Dan
21 Sep 2013, 10:57 am #90

I'd definitely like to see the 8/20 merged, but how would it work?

There is a small turning circle just before Prestbury Road (see here - I think you will need to be on a computer to view it though) where the service could turn around and then head back down Hylton Road to St Annes, where it could pursue the usual 8 route.
Can full size single deckers be used on the 8 though? Some of the estates the 8 goes through in South Hylton are pretty tight, but not much tighter than those in Hill View (and I've seen ALX300s be used on the 10/11 very occasionally).

21 Sep 2013, 11:01 am
Something like this maybe

Sunderland City Centre - South Hylton - Pennywell or

Sunderland City Centre - Pennywell - South Hylton

Maybe on the the 8 they could, it will loose the darts soon enough - so bigger buses should be able to.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Sep 2013, 11:01 am #91

Something like this maybe

Maybe on the the 8 they could, it will loose the darts soon enough - so bigger buses should be able to.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan
Site Administrator
21 Sep 2013, 11:09 am
(21 Sep 2013, 10:55 am)dans_bus_photos Im assuming you mean sending the 20 to south hylton? As that would add atleast an extra 10 minutes onto journeys from Prestbury road and does South Hylton need a every 10 minute bus when they have the metro.

Does every passenger on the 8 travel from South Hylton all the way to Millfield or Sunderland City Centre, or do some get off at different locations?
Those that do travel to Sunderland City Centre are more likely to use the Metro (providing they don't need to use buses later in the day), but the 8/20 serve locations the Metro does not. Even when it comes to Millfield, passengers would have to walk from the station to the place in Millfield where they'd like to be, and from past experience, passengers (especially the elderly) prefer to use the bus in this case.

(21 Sep 2013, 11:01 am)Michael Something like this maybe

It would probably be more important to get to Pennywell before South Hylton. I imagine customers won't be too appreciative of an extra 10 minutes added to their journey time if travelling to Pennywell, but passengers from South Hylton would be seeing a frequency upgrade so couldn't complain too much.
Like I say, use the turning circle before Prestbury Road so you cut out an extra 3 minutes (you can walk to Prestbury Road in the same time as the bus gets there if you get off where I pointed out on the map earlier) and then head off down to South Hylton.

Anyway - this isn't the right place for service suggestions Wink
If you want to copy this over to the service suggestions thread, I'll move the the response comments over.
Dan
21 Sep 2013, 11:09 am #92

(21 Sep 2013, 10:55 am)dans_bus_photos Im assuming you mean sending the 20 to south hylton? As that would add atleast an extra 10 minutes onto journeys from Prestbury road and does South Hylton need a every 10 minute bus when they have the metro.

Does every passenger on the 8 travel from South Hylton all the way to Millfield or Sunderland City Centre, or do some get off at different locations?
Those that do travel to Sunderland City Centre are more likely to use the Metro (providing they don't need to use buses later in the day), but the 8/20 serve locations the Metro does not. Even when it comes to Millfield, passengers would have to walk from the station to the place in Millfield where they'd like to be, and from past experience, passengers (especially the elderly) prefer to use the bus in this case.

(21 Sep 2013, 11:01 am)Michael Something like this maybe

It would probably be more important to get to Pennywell before South Hylton. I imagine customers won't be too appreciative of an extra 10 minutes added to their journey time if travelling to Pennywell, but passengers from South Hylton would be seeing a frequency upgrade so couldn't complain too much.
Like I say, use the turning circle before Prestbury Road so you cut out an extra 3 minutes (you can walk to Prestbury Road in the same time as the bus gets there if you get off where I pointed out on the map earlier) and then head off down to South Hylton.

Anyway - this isn't the right place for service suggestions Wink
If you want to copy this over to the service suggestions thread, I'll move the the response comments over.

21 Sep 2013, 1:49 pm
(21 Sep 2013, 9:55 am)Acky81 The whole Sunderland stagecoach network could do with a refresh. Scrap the 10 minute frequencies and start some new routes.

Can I ask if you could explain this a bit further? I've been away from Sunderland for a few years now, but when I visit, it appears that the current network is well used and the familiarity of the network plus the turn-up-and-go frequencies seem to be one of the main reasons for this.
DavidP
21 Sep 2013, 1:49 pm #93

(21 Sep 2013, 9:55 am)Acky81 The whole Sunderland stagecoach network could do with a refresh. Scrap the 10 minute frequencies and start some new routes.

Can I ask if you could explain this a bit further? I've been away from Sunderland for a few years now, but when I visit, it appears that the current network is well used and the familiarity of the network plus the turn-up-and-go frequencies seem to be one of the main reasons for this.

21 Sep 2013, 2:15 pm
Most of the stagecoach services were merged years ago.. think this helped but services..

3,4,12,13,16,20 and 23 all run every 10 mins with

4/13 both running to town end farm- mon - sat combaind to make that area have a 5 min service.

12/13 - both run to silksworth - combained a 5 min service.

We have the 10/11which run every 7/8 mins on parts of its routes.

5/5A, 18/19 are the half hourly services
39 is only ran on evenings.. NEXUS contracts

Hopefully some1 can explain it better

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Sep 2013, 2:15 pm #94

Most of the stagecoach services were merged years ago.. think this helped but services..

3,4,12,13,16,20 and 23 all run every 10 mins with

4/13 both running to town end farm- mon - sat combaind to make that area have a 5 min service.

12/13 - both run to silksworth - combained a 5 min service.

We have the 10/11which run every 7/8 mins on parts of its routes.

5/5A, 18/19 are the half hourly services
39 is only ran on evenings.. NEXUS contracts

Hopefully some1 can explain it better

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan
Site Administrator
21 Sep 2013, 2:21 pm
I think DavidP was asking Acky81 to explain his reasoning for believing that the Sunderland network needs to be 'refreshed'. :p
Dan
21 Sep 2013, 2:21 pm #95

I think DavidP was asking Acky81 to explain his reasoning for believing that the Sunderland network needs to be 'refreshed'. :p

21 Sep 2013, 2:27 pm
(21 Sep 2013, 2:21 pm)Daniel I think DavidP was asking Acky81 to explain his reasoning for believing that the Sunderland network needs to be 'refreshed'. :p

Yes, thanks Daniel, that's exactly what I was asking and I hope I got across that I'm genuinely asking if/what the problem is with the current network is.
DavidP
21 Sep 2013, 2:27 pm #96

(21 Sep 2013, 2:21 pm)Daniel I think DavidP was asking Acky81 to explain his reasoning for believing that the Sunderland network needs to be 'refreshed'. :p

Yes, thanks Daniel, that's exactly what I was asking and I hope I got across that I'm genuinely asking if/what the problem is with the current network is.

21 Sep 2013, 2:29 pm
Lmao sorry David

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Sep 2013, 2:29 pm #97

Lmao sorry David

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan
Site Administrator
21 Sep 2013, 2:37 pm
(21 Sep 2013, 2:27 pm)DavidP Yes, thanks Daniel, that's exactly what I was asking and I hope I got across that I'm genuinely asking if/what the problem is with the current network is.

From a personal point of view, I think the Sunderland network, on the whole, is very good. Most services have a 10 minute frequency Monday to Saturday, and most services start early and finish late (which can't always be said about competition in certain areas). Since last year, we've had a 20 minute frequency on the core services in Sunderland's network also. Again, this can't always be said about competition in certain areas.

What I do dislike is that there are opportunities in the current network that Stagecoach could use to their benefit. I see competition between the likes of Go North East and Arriva North East, with services being timed ahead of others etc.
Stagecoach seemingly keep everyone sweet and keep to their own network, making very few changes.
A more recent change that springs to mind is the 23 to Seaburn on Sundays. Some would say that Seaburn really doesn't need a higher frequency on Sundays, but I think it provides excellent links. Passengers can have a through route all the way to Seaburn if travelling from the likes of Thorney Close, whereas before they would have had to get off in town and jump on an E service.
I think more changes like the above could really work well, but things need to be trialled. Go North East regularly have services on trial for six months before making their mind up whether a change to a service is commercially viable or not, and I wish Stagecoach would also do something similar.
Dan
21 Sep 2013, 2:37 pm #98

(21 Sep 2013, 2:27 pm)DavidP Yes, thanks Daniel, that's exactly what I was asking and I hope I got across that I'm genuinely asking if/what the problem is with the current network is.

From a personal point of view, I think the Sunderland network, on the whole, is very good. Most services have a 10 minute frequency Monday to Saturday, and most services start early and finish late (which can't always be said about competition in certain areas). Since last year, we've had a 20 minute frequency on the core services in Sunderland's network also. Again, this can't always be said about competition in certain areas.

What I do dislike is that there are opportunities in the current network that Stagecoach could use to their benefit. I see competition between the likes of Go North East and Arriva North East, with services being timed ahead of others etc.
Stagecoach seemingly keep everyone sweet and keep to their own network, making very few changes.
A more recent change that springs to mind is the 23 to Seaburn on Sundays. Some would say that Seaburn really doesn't need a higher frequency on Sundays, but I think it provides excellent links. Passengers can have a through route all the way to Seaburn if travelling from the likes of Thorney Close, whereas before they would have had to get off in town and jump on an E service.
I think more changes like the above could really work well, but things need to be trialled. Go North East regularly have services on trial for six months before making their mind up whether a change to a service is commercially viable or not, and I wish Stagecoach would also do something similar.

21 Sep 2013, 2:41 pm
(21 Sep 2013, 2:29 pm)Michael Lmao sorry David

No probs, Michael.

I think it's been reported on here that there may be service revisions in Sunderland in November which does sort of suggest there may be some issues with the current network but I haven't been up there for a while and I'm just curious about what they are.

Cheers
David
DavidP
21 Sep 2013, 2:41 pm #99

(21 Sep 2013, 2:29 pm)Michael Lmao sorry David

No probs, Michael.

I think it's been reported on here that there may be service revisions in Sunderland in November which does sort of suggest there may be some issues with the current network but I haven't been up there for a while and I'm just curious about what they are.

Cheers
David

21 Sep 2013, 2:46 pm
I heard drivers talk about changes for then but nothing has being on VOSA.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Sep 2013, 2:46 pm #100

I heard drivers talk about changes for then but nothing has being on VOSA.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (7): Previous 14 5 6 7 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 2658
Views 733240
03 Jun 2024, 6:14 pm
Last Post by Glen1974