Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (239): Previous 17 8 9239 Next
Tom
19 Jan 2014, 6:00 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 5:36 pm)Dan Would be nice! Can hire coaches for the day pretty cheaply now, and anyone with contacts inside a coach company may give NEB a little discount. Depending on numbers, I'm sure we could get there and back for about 20 quid each.
Think it was about 12 quid for the NEBPT trip to Lincoln and the coach was just over half full. Assuming we get similar numbers, the mileage is pretty similar... So we'd be looking at a price like that.

I probably wouldn't be able to go, though. If I do make my own tour company like I'd love, I'm sure I'd give you trips heavily reduced.
Tom
19 Jan 2014, 6:00 pm #141

(19 Jan 2014, 5:36 pm)Dan Would be nice! Can hire coaches for the day pretty cheaply now, and anyone with contacts inside a coach company may give NEB a little discount. Depending on numbers, I'm sure we could get there and back for about 20 quid each.
Think it was about 12 quid for the NEBPT trip to Lincoln and the coach was just over half full. Assuming we get similar numbers, the mileage is pretty similar... So we'd be looking at a price like that.

I probably wouldn't be able to go, though. If I do make my own tour company like I'd love, I'm sure I'd give you trips heavily reduced.

Dan
Site Administrator
19 Jan 2014, 6:07 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 6:00 pm)Tom I probably wouldn't be able to go, though. If I do make my own tour company like I'd love, I'm sure I'd give you trips heavily reduced.

If it's an issue of not having your parents there, they'd be more than welcome to come as well. Obviously wouldn't be limited to NEB members! Wink

A friend of my mum's used to hire coaches and we used to go down to Blackpool and the like for a fiver each when the coach was full. Everyone went off and did their own thing. I'm proposing we could do something similar for NEB (and anyone else who wants to come), and have monthly trips to the likes of Glasgow, Edinburgh, etc.
I think the NEBPT used to do something similar but it looks like they're in a spot of bother at the moment, so I don't know if they'll carry on to do this or not.
Dan
19 Jan 2014, 6:07 pm #142

(19 Jan 2014, 6:00 pm)Tom I probably wouldn't be able to go, though. If I do make my own tour company like I'd love, I'm sure I'd give you trips heavily reduced.

If it's an issue of not having your parents there, they'd be more than welcome to come as well. Obviously wouldn't be limited to NEB members! Wink

A friend of my mum's used to hire coaches and we used to go down to Blackpool and the like for a fiver each when the coach was full. Everyone went off and did their own thing. I'm proposing we could do something similar for NEB (and anyone else who wants to come), and have monthly trips to the likes of Glasgow, Edinburgh, etc.
I think the NEBPT used to do something similar but it looks like they're in a spot of bother at the moment, so I don't know if they'll carry on to do this or not.

Tom
19 Jan 2014, 6:14 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 6:07 pm)Dan If it's an issue of not having your parents there, they'd be more than welcome to come as well. Obviously wouldn't be limited to NEB members! Wink

Just not sure if I'd be aloud up to Scotland on my own, but defiantly next year or the year after. Wink

I love that suggestion though, possibly have a suitable sized coach depending on how many people want to go on the trip, because some trips might be more popular than others, and make monthly visits to places like Edinburgh, The Lake District etc. Even more local trips like Alnwick or somewhere. If people don't want to return on the coach or vice-versa, then I suppose a reduced single fare could be used?
Tom
19 Jan 2014, 6:14 pm #143

(19 Jan 2014, 6:07 pm)Dan If it's an issue of not having your parents there, they'd be more than welcome to come as well. Obviously wouldn't be limited to NEB members! Wink

Just not sure if I'd be aloud up to Scotland on my own, but defiantly next year or the year after. Wink

I love that suggestion though, possibly have a suitable sized coach depending on how many people want to go on the trip, because some trips might be more popular than others, and make monthly visits to places like Edinburgh, The Lake District etc. Even more local trips like Alnwick or somewhere. If people don't want to return on the coach or vice-versa, then I suppose a reduced single fare could be used?

Dan
Site Administrator
19 Jan 2014, 6:21 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 6:14 pm)Tom Just not sure if I'd be aloud up to Scotland on my own, but defiantly next year or the year after. Wink

Like I say, your parents would be welcome too. They could do their own thing in Dunfermline (or indeed Edinburgh) while you go to the museum.

I have e-mailed Keith's Coaches for a quote on how much it would cost to hire a midi-sized coach (33 seater) for the trip from Newcastle to Dunfermline, with other stopping points to be confirmed.
I will e-mail a few others too, just to get a rough idea.

The idea would certainly be to have monthly trips around the UK though. This sounds like a brilliant idea, so I really hope it works. If I have some figures for the SVBM trip, it may encourage interest.
Dan
19 Jan 2014, 6:21 pm #144

(19 Jan 2014, 6:14 pm)Tom Just not sure if I'd be aloud up to Scotland on my own, but defiantly next year or the year after. Wink

Like I say, your parents would be welcome too. They could do their own thing in Dunfermline (or indeed Edinburgh) while you go to the museum.

I have e-mailed Keith's Coaches for a quote on how much it would cost to hire a midi-sized coach (33 seater) for the trip from Newcastle to Dunfermline, with other stopping points to be confirmed.

The idea would certainly be to have monthly trips around the UK though. This sounds like a brilliant idea, so I really hope it works. If I have some figures for the SVBM trip, it may encourage interest.

Tom
19 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 6:21 pm)Dan Like I say, your parents would be welcome too. They could do their own thing in Dunfermline (or indeed Edinburgh) while you go to the museum.

Yeah, they probably wouldn't be interested though. The liklehood of it is that I visit Dumfermline with my Dad, and he does his own thing while I visit the main museum. Do you have any idea when is it?
Tom
19 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm #145

(19 Jan 2014, 6:21 pm)Dan Like I say, your parents would be welcome too. They could do their own thing in Dunfermline (or indeed Edinburgh) while you go to the museum.

Yeah, they probably wouldn't be interested though. The liklehood of it is that I visit Dumfermline with my Dad, and he does his own thing while I visit the main museum. Do you have any idea when is it?

19 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 6:14 pm)Tom not sure if I'd be aloud up to Scotland on my own, but defiantly next year or the year after. Wink

Just tell them you're off to the Metrocentre man.
Theyll never know Wink

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
19 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm #146

(19 Jan 2014, 6:14 pm)Tom not sure if I'd be aloud up to Scotland on my own, but defiantly next year or the year after. Wink

Just tell them you're off to the Metrocentre man.
Theyll never know Wink

Tom
19 Jan 2014, 6:25 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm)andreos1 Just tell them you're off to the Metrocentre man.
Theyll never know Wink

I've done that before and they found out by a ticket in my pocket (well, I said I was going to Sunderland when they found a ticket for Middlesbrough to Whitby in my pocket) lol Wink
Tom
19 Jan 2014, 6:25 pm #147

(19 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm)andreos1 Just tell them you're off to the Metrocentre man.
Theyll never know Wink

I've done that before and they found out by a ticket in my pocket (well, I said I was going to Sunderland when they found a ticket for Middlesbrough to Whitby in my pocket) lol Wink

Dan
Site Administrator
19 Jan 2014, 6:28 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm)Tom Yeah, they probably wouldn't be interested though. The liklehood of it is that I visit Dumfermline with my Dad, and he does his own thing while I visit the main museum. Do you have any idea when is it?

Would be around Saturday 16th August 2014. Ages away yet. Tongue
Dan
19 Jan 2014, 6:28 pm #148

(19 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm)Tom Yeah, they probably wouldn't be interested though. The liklehood of it is that I visit Dumfermline with my Dad, and he does his own thing while I visit the main museum. Do you have any idea when is it?

Would be around Saturday 16th August 2014. Ages away yet. Tongue

19 Jan 2014, 6:28 pm

Saturday 16th August Tom
Malarkey
19 Jan 2014, 6:28 pm #149

Saturday 16th August Tom

Tom
19 Jan 2014, 6:31 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 6:28 pm)Dan Would be around Saturday 16th August 2014. Ages away yet. Tongue

Fantastic! Tongue - I go on holiday for the 20th of July or something like that and return on the 4th of August or whatever to Spain, so I'll be back just in time Big Grin
Tom
19 Jan 2014, 6:31 pm #150

(19 Jan 2014, 6:28 pm)Dan Would be around Saturday 16th August 2014. Ages away yet. Tongue

Fantastic! Tongue - I go on holiday for the 20th of July or something like that and return on the 4th of August or whatever to Spain, so I'll be back just in time Big Grin

19 Jan 2014, 7:19 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 5:53 pm)Dan I just thought of the coach hire because there's only a half hour or so difference in the timings if you go direct by coach rather than train and connections. Stands a chance of being cheaper too!

Certainly makes sense with that in mind, as I'd be looking at paying about £40 on advance singles, train alone. Smile

Theyll never know Wink

Big Grin been done many a time in my youth.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
19 Jan 2014, 7:19 pm #151

(19 Jan 2014, 5:53 pm)Dan I just thought of the coach hire because there's only a half hour or so difference in the timings if you go direct by coach rather than train and connections. Stands a chance of being cheaper too!

Certainly makes sense with that in mind, as I'd be looking at paying about £40 on advance singles, train alone. Smile

Theyll never know Wink

Big Grin been done many a time in my youth.

19 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm
An important point though regarding the trains is that if there is over 9 of you going, then Group Travel comes into play.

Last year, I was placed in charge of the buses and trains for my Business Class' trip to Edinburgh and I managed to save my school £230 on rail fares alone because of the Group Travel! In total for 10 people (including teachers) I managed to get the price down from £380 to £150.

However, because I explained to them it was a school trip, I don't know if East Coast gave us special rates that differ to standard Group Travel. Certainly worth exploring Smile
Adam
19 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm #152

An important point though regarding the trains is that if there is over 9 of you going, then Group Travel comes into play.

Last year, I was placed in charge of the buses and trains for my Business Class' trip to Edinburgh and I managed to save my school £230 on rail fares alone because of the Group Travel! In total for 10 people (including teachers) I managed to get the price down from £380 to £150.

However, because I explained to them it was a school trip, I don't know if East Coast gave us special rates that differ to standard Group Travel. Certainly worth exploring Smile

MrFozz
Marxista Fozzski
19 Jan 2014, 8:39 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 5:53 pm)Dan Would be much appreciated, Adam! If it sounds like quite a few people would like to get involved in this trip (obviously a long way away yet), it may be nice if NEB could organise monthly day trips.

I just thought of the coach hire because there's only a half hour or so difference in the timings if you go direct by coach rather than train and connections. Stands a chance of being cheaper too!

I like that idea Dan, being the social kinda dude I am, liking to meet people and shit, I would be up for taking part in the social aspect of enthusiasm, finances permitting of course...
MrFozz
19 Jan 2014, 8:39 pm #153

(19 Jan 2014, 5:53 pm)Dan Would be much appreciated, Adam! If it sounds like quite a few people would like to get involved in this trip (obviously a long way away yet), it may be nice if NEB could organise monthly day trips.

I just thought of the coach hire because there's only a half hour or so difference in the timings if you go direct by coach rather than train and connections. Stands a chance of being cheaper too!

I like that idea Dan, being the social kinda dude I am, liking to meet people and shit, I would be up for taking part in the social aspect of enthusiasm, finances permitting of course...

Dan
Site Administrator
19 Jan 2014, 8:41 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 8:39 pm)fozzovmurton I like that idea Dan, being the social kinda dude I am, liking to meet people and shit, I would be up for taking part in the social aspect of enthusiasm, finances permitting of course...

Have I got you down as a 'Yes' on this thread, then? ;-)
Dan
19 Jan 2014, 8:41 pm #154

(19 Jan 2014, 8:39 pm)fozzovmurton I like that idea Dan, being the social kinda dude I am, liking to meet people and shit, I would be up for taking part in the social aspect of enthusiasm, finances permitting of course...

Have I got you down as a 'Yes' on this thread, then? ;-)

19 Jan 2014, 9:00 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm)Adam An important point though regarding the trains is that if there is over 9 of you going, then Group Travel comes into play.

Happy to donate my log in details to obtain reward points Big Grin

Andreos1
19 Jan 2014, 9:00 pm #155

(19 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm)Adam An important point though regarding the trains is that if there is over 9 of you going, then Group Travel comes into play.

Happy to donate my log in details to obtain reward points Big Grin

MrFozz
Marxista Fozzski
19 Jan 2014, 9:17 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 8:41 pm)Dan Have I got you down as a 'Yes' on this thread, then? ;-)

It's a yes from me
MrFozz
19 Jan 2014, 9:17 pm #156

(19 Jan 2014, 8:41 pm)Dan Have I got you down as a 'Yes' on this thread, then? ;-)

It's a yes from me

Dan
Site Administrator
19 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm
On a completely different note, here's a trip I'm looking at for the summer:

MEGABUS (£5.00):
Departs 06:05 Sunderland , Park Lane Bus Interchange Stand W
Arrives 14:45 Cardiff , Kingsway, Stop GQ

MEGABUS GOLD (£5.00):
Departs 16:30 Cardiff , Kingsway, Stop GQ
Arrives 20:05 London , Victoria Coach Station

MEGABUS (£10.00):
Departs 22:30 London , Victoria Coach Station
Arrives 07:35 EDINBURGH, EDINBURGH BUS STATION

EAST COAST (£10.40):
Departs 14:08 Edinburgh [EDB] Platform 19
Arrives 15:33 Newcastle [NCL] Platform 4

Most of you will perish the thought of so long on a coach. Personally don't mind them, as long as I have plug sockets, Wi-Fi and plenty of music!

The alternative would be to jump off the Megabus at Newcastle (around half 4 in the morning it arrives), and leave the Scotland section for another time.
Dan
19 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm #157

On a completely different note, here's a trip I'm looking at for the summer:

MEGABUS (£5.00):

MEGABUS GOLD (£5.00):

MEGABUS (£10.00):

EAST COAST (£10.40):

Most of you will perish the thought of so long on a coach. Personally don't mind them, as long as I have plug sockets, Wi-Fi and plenty of music!

The alternative would be to jump off the Megabus at Newcastle (around half 4 in the morning it arrives), and leave the Scotland section for another time.

19 Jan 2014, 10:22 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm)Dan On a completely different note, here's a trip I'm looking at for the summer:

MEGABUS (£5.00):

MEGABUS GOLD (£5.00):

MEGABUS (£10.00):

EAST COAST (£10.40):

Shouldn't be too bad for that overnight, as long as you get plenty leg room and comfort! Never used megabus so can't comment really.

Shame you don't have more time in London, but there's always next time!

Adrian
19 Jan 2014, 10:22 pm #158

(19 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm)Dan On a completely different note, here's a trip I'm looking at for the summer:

MEGABUS (£5.00):

MEGABUS GOLD (£5.00):

MEGABUS (£10.00):

EAST COAST (£10.40):

Shouldn't be too bad for that overnight, as long as you get plenty leg room and comfort! Never used megabus so can't comment really.

Dan
Site Administrator
19 Jan 2014, 10:30 pm
(19 Jan 2014, 10:22 pm)aureolin Shouldn't be too bad for that overnight, as long as you get plenty leg room and comfort! Never used megabus so can't comment really.

As long as it isn't a dupe service, it will be fine.

Will be using London as a central hub in the summer all being well - want to get some photos of every Go Ahead operator.
Dan
19 Jan 2014, 10:30 pm #159

(19 Jan 2014, 10:22 pm)aureolin Shouldn't be too bad for that overnight, as long as you get plenty leg room and comfort! Never used megabus so can't comment really.

As long as it isn't a dupe service, it will be fine.

Will be using London as a central hub in the summer all being well - want to get some photos of every Go Ahead operator.

19 Jan 2014, 10:35 pm

MEGABUS (£5.00):

MEGABUS GOLD (£5.00):

MEGABUS (£10.00):

EAST COAST (£10.40):

Trust me, you'll likely be in Edinburgh well before 0735. I did that one last weekend on the way to Perth, and the 50 minutes gap me and my mate were schedule to have ended up being an hour and 40 minutes as we arrived in Edinburgh at 0645-ish.

As for legrooms on the Elite Is, I suggest trying to get a seat behind the stairs as they're likely to have the best. I would avoid the front seats if you can as they have 3-point seat belts so very restricted movement (that and it doesn't have great legroom, I know I sat there from Newcastle to Edinburgh as it was free so we each had two seats each).
Kuyoyo
19 Jan 2014, 10:35 pm #160

MEGABUS (£5.00):

MEGABUS GOLD (£5.00):

MEGABUS (£10.00):

EAST COAST (£10.40):

Trust me, you'll likely be in Edinburgh well before 0735. I did that one last weekend on the way to Perth, and the 50 minutes gap me and my mate were schedule to have ended up being an hour and 40 minutes as we arrived in Edinburgh at 0645-ish.

As for legrooms on the Elite Is, I suggest trying to get a seat behind the stairs as they're likely to have the best. I would avoid the front seats if you can as they have 3-point seat belts so very restricted movement (that and it doesn't have great legroom, I know I sat there from Newcastle to Edinburgh as it was free so we each had two seats each).

Pages (239): Previous 17 8 9239 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 301
Views 188600
16 Sep 2021, 5:11 am
Last Post by R852 PRG
Replies 1
Views 2196
31 Jan 2017, 11:00 pm
Last Post by Jamie M
Replies 18