Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Congestion in Eldon Square Bus Station affecting service X21

Congestion in Eldon Square Bus Station affecting service X21

Congestion in Eldon Square Bus Station affecting service X21

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

BusLoverMum

02 Mar 2020, 12:09 pm #1
Since the changes to the X21, I'm getting pretty fed up of having to chase it across Eldon Square bus station. It doesn't help when the X31 turns up 7 minutes early and hogs the stand just so the driver can have a smoke rather than put his vehicle in layover.
BusLoverMum
02 Mar 2020, 12:09 pm #1

Since the changes to the X21, I'm getting pretty fed up of having to chase it across Eldon Square bus station. It doesn't help when the X31 turns up 7 minutes early and hogs the stand just so the driver can have a smoke rather than put his vehicle in layover.

Stanleyone

02 Mar 2020, 5:51 pm #2
(02 Mar 2020, 12:09 pm)BusLoverMum Since the changes to the X21, I'm getting pretty fed up of having to chase it across Eldon Square bus station. It doesn't help when the X31 turns up 7 minutes early and hogs the stand just so the driver can have a smoke rather than put his vehicle in layover.
Eldon Square is too small for all the buses that operate into it. X45 is due in 1 minute before the X21 pulls off so in this instance the bus was 1 min early. If the driver pulled onto the layover stand awaiting the X21 (we have no idea where it will be) then that’s putting the X31 at risk of being late as well.
Stanleyone
02 Mar 2020, 5:51 pm #2

(02 Mar 2020, 12:09 pm)BusLoverMum Since the changes to the X21, I'm getting pretty fed up of having to chase it across Eldon Square bus station. It doesn't help when the X31 turns up 7 minutes early and hogs the stand just so the driver can have a smoke rather than put his vehicle in layover.
Eldon Square is too small for all the buses that operate into it. X45 is due in 1 minute before the X21 pulls off so in this instance the bus was 1 min early. If the driver pulled onto the layover stand awaiting the X21 (we have no idea where it will be) then that’s putting the X31 at risk of being late as well.

02 Mar 2020, 6:14 pm #3
(02 Mar 2020, 5:51 pm)Stanleyone Eldon Square is too small for all the buses that operate into it. X45 is due in 1 minute before the X21 pulls off so in this instance the bus was 1 min early. If the driver pulled onto the layover stand awaiting the X21 (we have no idea where it will be) then that’s putting the X31 at risk of being late as well.

I suppose this is the issue with having so many buses that run direct to the city centre. It's great for passengers on their way to the city, but those leaving it can be a nightmare!
streetdeckfan
02 Mar 2020, 6:14 pm #3

(02 Mar 2020, 5:51 pm)Stanleyone Eldon Square is too small for all the buses that operate into it. X45 is due in 1 minute before the X21 pulls off so in this instance the bus was 1 min early. If the driver pulled onto the layover stand awaiting the X21 (we have no idea where it will be) then that’s putting the X31 at risk of being late as well.

I suppose this is the issue with having so many buses that run direct to the city centre. It's great for passengers on their way to the city, but those leaving it can be a nightmare!

Ds1197

02 Mar 2020, 7:35 pm #4
(02 Mar 2020, 6:14 pm)streetdeckfan I suppose this is the issue with having so many buses that run direct to the city centre. It's great for passengers on their way to the city, but those leaving it can be a nightmare!

And that stand now has a service to Durham and Stanley every 15 minutes
Ds1197
02 Mar 2020, 7:35 pm #4

(02 Mar 2020, 6:14 pm)streetdeckfan I suppose this is the issue with having so many buses that run direct to the city centre. It's great for passengers on their way to the city, but those leaving it can be a nightmare!

And that stand now has a service to Durham and Stanley every 15 minutes

BusLoverMum

02 Mar 2020, 11:15 pm #5
This particular X31 arrived 7 minutes before it was due to go out, with the X21 arriving about a minute later. In the end, the X21 pulled into stand H after a Stagecoach in front of it had driven in, dropped off and picked up and then pulled out again. There was plenty of time for the X31 to move out of the way or even just drive out of the block. I couldn't see anyone in the drop off stand at the time it arrived.

Last I counted on my fingers and thumbs, ES has fewer buses passing through than Durham.

(02 Mar 2020, 7:35 pm)Ds1197 And that stand now has a service to Durham and Stanley every 15 minutes
Plus 2 x12 an hour, though they're rarely on time so don't tend to hang about.
Edited 02 Mar 2020, 11:17 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
02 Mar 2020, 11:15 pm #5

This particular X31 arrived 7 minutes before it was due to go out, with the X21 arriving about a minute later. In the end, the X21 pulled into stand H after a Stagecoach in front of it had driven in, dropped off and picked up and then pulled out again. There was plenty of time for the X31 to move out of the way or even just drive out of the block. I couldn't see anyone in the drop off stand at the time it arrived.

Last I counted on my fingers and thumbs, ES has fewer buses passing through than Durham.

(02 Mar 2020, 7:35 pm)Ds1197 And that stand now has a service to Durham and Stanley every 15 minutes
Plus 2 x12 an hour, though they're rarely on time so don't tend to hang about.

Stanleyone

03 Mar 2020, 7:12 am #6
(02 Mar 2020, 11:15 pm)BusLoverMum This particular X31 arrived 7 minutes before it was due to go out, with the X21 arriving about a minute later. In the end, the X21 pulled into stand H after a Stagecoach in front of it had driven in, dropped off and picked up and then pulled out again. There was plenty of time for the X31 to move out of the way or even just drive out of the block. I couldn't see anyone in the drop off stand at the time it arrived.

I’ve done the whole go around thing myself plenty of times, and on numerous occasions caught behind buses waiting for an empty stand. And as I said before missed my departure time. So unfortunately I would do the same, 1 minute early onto stand (+6 mins recovery time). If the X21 is constantly late (which it’s not imo) then that’s up to the commercial department to sort out.
Stanleyone
03 Mar 2020, 7:12 am #6

(02 Mar 2020, 11:15 pm)BusLoverMum This particular X31 arrived 7 minutes before it was due to go out, with the X21 arriving about a minute later. In the end, the X21 pulled into stand H after a Stagecoach in front of it had driven in, dropped off and picked up and then pulled out again. There was plenty of time for the X31 to move out of the way or even just drive out of the block. I couldn't see anyone in the drop off stand at the time it arrived.

I’ve done the whole go around thing myself plenty of times, and on numerous occasions caught behind buses waiting for an empty stand. And as I said before missed my departure time. So unfortunately I would do the same, 1 minute early onto stand (+6 mins recovery time). If the X21 is constantly late (which it’s not imo) then that’s up to the commercial department to sort out.

03 Mar 2020, 12:03 pm #7
(03 Mar 2020, 7:12 am)Stanleyone I’ve done the whole go around thing myself plenty of times, and on numerous occasions caught behind buses waiting for an empty stand. And as I said before missed my departure time. So unfortunately I would do the same, 1 minute early onto stand (+6 mins recovery time). If the X21 is constantly late (which it’s not imo) then that’s up to the commercial department to sort out.

From my experience the X21 at Eldon Square is usually pretty solid, it's at Durham that I see most issues with buses being abandoned at the stands and the X21 having to go around because there's nowhere for it to pull in.
streetdeckfan
03 Mar 2020, 12:03 pm #7

(03 Mar 2020, 7:12 am)Stanleyone I’ve done the whole go around thing myself plenty of times, and on numerous occasions caught behind buses waiting for an empty stand. And as I said before missed my departure time. So unfortunately I would do the same, 1 minute early onto stand (+6 mins recovery time). If the X21 is constantly late (which it’s not imo) then that’s up to the commercial department to sort out.

From my experience the X21 at Eldon Square is usually pretty solid, it's at Durham that I see most issues with buses being abandoned at the stands and the X21 having to go around because there's nowhere for it to pull in.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average