Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure ZEBRA zero-emission buses scheme launched

ZEBRA zero-emission buses scheme launched

ZEBRA zero-emission buses scheme launched

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6): 1 2 36 Next
Malarkey

04 Apr 2021, 3:27 pm #1
The Zero-Emission Buses Regional Area (ZEBRA) scheme in England has been launched. It will provide a maximum of £120m of capital funding towards up to 500 emission-free buses and their associated infrastructure.

https://www.route-one.net/news/120m-zebr...-launched/
Malarkey
04 Apr 2021, 3:27 pm #1

The Zero-Emission Buses Regional Area (ZEBRA) scheme in England has been launched. It will provide a maximum of £120m of capital funding towards up to 500 emission-free buses and their associated infrastructure.

https://www.route-one.net/news/120m-zebr...-launched/

Michael

04 Apr 2021, 5:00 pm #2
So probs about 80% of the funding for London and 20% for rest of England then?

Hope the NE bid for some, probs end up at Newcastle/Gateshead though.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Apr 2021, 5:00 pm #2

So probs about 80% of the funding for London and 20% for rest of England then?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

04 Apr 2021, 5:55 pm #3
(04 Apr 2021, 5:00 pm)Michael So probs about 80% of the funding for London and 20% for rest of England then?

It's only in major cities that zero emissions buses make sense though, until we start seeing more hydrogen electric vehicles.
Battery electric vehicles just don't have the range to be used on the majority of routes that venture outside the city
streetdeckfan
04 Apr 2021, 5:55 pm #3

(04 Apr 2021, 5:00 pm)Michael So probs about 80% of the funding for London and 20% for rest of England then?

It's only in major cities that zero emissions buses make sense though, until we start seeing more hydrogen electric vehicles.
Battery electric vehicles just don't have the range to be used on the majority of routes that venture outside the city

citaro5284

04 Apr 2021, 5:59 pm #4
(04 Apr 2021, 5:55 pm)streetdeckfan It's only in major cities that zero emissions buses make sense though, until we start seeing more hydrogen electric vehicles.
I see First Glasgow have just ordered 126 electric vehicles under the Scottish Government scheme.

https://www.evbus.co.uk/first-bus-orders...electrics/
citaro5284
04 Apr 2021, 5:59 pm #4

(04 Apr 2021, 5:55 pm)streetdeckfan It's only in major cities that zero emissions buses make sense though, until we start seeing more hydrogen electric vehicles.
I see First Glasgow have just ordered 126 electric vehicles under the Scottish Government scheme.

https://www.evbus.co.uk/first-bus-orders...electrics/

busmanT

05 Apr 2021, 9:54 am #5

It does not apply to London!
Quote from ZEBRA guidance -
"we ask for bids to be written and submitted by English local transport authorities outside London (i.e. counties, unitaries, combined authorities)"
busmanT
05 Apr 2021, 9:54 am #5

It does not apply to London!
"we ask for bids to be written and submitted by English local transport authorities outside London (i.e. counties, unitaries, combined authorities)"

Adrian

05 Apr 2021, 3:21 pm #6
Quaylink or Durham Park & Ride would probably be a good shout for funding. The contract for the latter is to be renewed next year I believe.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
05 Apr 2021, 3:21 pm #6

Quaylink or Durham Park & Ride would probably be a good shout for funding. The contract for the latter is to be renewed next year I believe.

Michael

05 Apr 2021, 4:09 pm #7
(05 Apr 2021, 9:54 am)busmanT It does not apply to London!

Oops must of misread it! Surprised at that

Sunderland Connect could be a shot for electric vehicles, wonder if GNE will bid to try and make half of Riverside depot Electric vehicles.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
05 Apr 2021, 4:09 pm #7

(05 Apr 2021, 9:54 am)busmanT It does not apply to London!

Oops must of misread it! Surprised at that

Sunderland Connect could be a shot for electric vehicles, wonder if GNE will bid to try and make half of Riverside depot Electric vehicles.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Storx

05 Apr 2021, 4:13 pm #8
(05 Apr 2021, 3:21 pm)Adrian Quaylink or Durham Park & Ride would probably be a good shout for funding. The contract for the latter is to be renewed next year I believe.

The Durham P&R is ran by minibuses isn't it? They've restricted it to full size buses and deckers only.

Personally can't see GNE getting any funding because of them winning the funding for Voltra in the earlier investments unless it's just a few buses so Quaylink could be a shout. Think they'll target a corridor maybe Gosforth High Street (Arriva / GNE), Coast Road (Arriva / Stagecoach) or Byker / Blackett Street (Stagecoach) because of high emissions on them all if they went for Tyneside.
Storx
05 Apr 2021, 4:13 pm #8

(05 Apr 2021, 3:21 pm)Adrian Quaylink or Durham Park & Ride would probably be a good shout for funding. The contract for the latter is to be renewed next year I believe.

The Durham P&R is ran by minibuses isn't it? They've restricted it to full size buses and deckers only.

Personally can't see GNE getting any funding because of them winning the funding for Voltra in the earlier investments unless it's just a few buses so Quaylink could be a shout. Think they'll target a corridor maybe Gosforth High Street (Arriva / GNE), Coast Road (Arriva / Stagecoach) or Byker / Blackett Street (Stagecoach) because of high emissions on them all if they went for Tyneside.

Dan

Site Administrator

05 Apr 2021, 4:23 pm #9
(05 Apr 2021, 4:13 pm)Storx The Durham P&R is ran by minibuses isn't it? They've restricted it to full size buses and deckers only.

Personally can't see GNE getting any funding because of them winning the funding for Voltra in the earlier investments and it'll be targeting on some corridor maybe Gosforth High Street (Arriva), Coast Road (Arriva / Stagecoach) or Byker / Blackett Street (Stagecoach) because of high emissions on them all if they go for Tyneside.

The infrastructure is one of the largest costs associated with the procurement of electric buses.

To get more 'bang for your buck', it may be that because Go North East already have the infrastructure (and are set up to accommodate up to 30 electric buses), that they could stand a better chance. In addition to the current nine, Go North East already have funding for a further nine buses, so this would take them to 18 of the 30 capacity they currently have for electric buses at Riverside.

A route like Go North East's Q3 has a PVR of 9, so a spare would be ordered, and this would take them to a capacity of 28/30 for electric buses at Riverside. It would also tick your box for Gosforth High Street.

I cannot see Arriva North East being particularly interested in this funding - don't forget that this funding only covers 75% of the difference between a diesel bus and an electric bus: so if a diesel single-deck bus is £160k, and an electric bus is closer to the £300k mark, the company would still be investing c.£200k per bus themselves. We're all aware of the reasons for the alleged lack of investment at Arriva, and I cannot see this funding changing things.

I do however agree with Adrian that it would be great for the Durham Park & Ride tender, which is up for renewal next year, to stipulate the use of electric buses (regardless of whether this funding could be used for that or not).
Dan
05 Apr 2021, 4:23 pm #9

(05 Apr 2021, 4:13 pm)Storx The Durham P&R is ran by minibuses isn't it? They've restricted it to full size buses and deckers only.

Personally can't see GNE getting any funding because of them winning the funding for Voltra in the earlier investments and it'll be targeting on some corridor maybe Gosforth High Street (Arriva), Coast Road (Arriva / Stagecoach) or Byker / Blackett Street (Stagecoach) because of high emissions on them all if they go for Tyneside.

The infrastructure is one of the largest costs associated with the procurement of electric buses.

To get more 'bang for your buck', it may be that because Go North East already have the infrastructure (and are set up to accommodate up to 30 electric buses), that they could stand a better chance. In addition to the current nine, Go North East already have funding for a further nine buses, so this would take them to 18 of the 30 capacity they currently have for electric buses at Riverside.

A route like Go North East's Q3 has a PVR of 9, so a spare would be ordered, and this would take them to a capacity of 28/30 for electric buses at Riverside. It would also tick your box for Gosforth High Street.

I cannot see Arriva North East being particularly interested in this funding - don't forget that this funding only covers 75% of the difference between a diesel bus and an electric bus: so if a diesel single-deck bus is £160k, and an electric bus is closer to the £300k mark, the company would still be investing c.£200k per bus themselves. We're all aware of the reasons for the alleged lack of investment at Arriva, and I cannot see this funding changing things.

I do however agree with Adrian that it would be great for the Durham Park & Ride tender, which is up for renewal next year, to stipulate the use of electric buses (regardless of whether this funding could be used for that or not).

Adrian

05 Apr 2021, 4:44 pm #10

Its minibus because that's what the current contract stipulates, but there's absolutely no reason why full size buses could not be used on the service.

Its worth noting that Policy 21 of the County Durham plan states: "5.228 It is very important that we plan to enable the adoption of alternative fuel vehicles and also actively discourage the number and frequency of single occupancy car journeys through the provision of charging infrastructure for electric vehicles and car sharing bays. Electric vehicle charging infrastructure and car sharing bays will be required in the Parking and Accessibility SPD. We will also support taxi and bus operators to switch to alternative fuel vehicles by identifying and helping with suitable funding opportunities."

So I'd be extremely surprised if the next P&R contract isn't for an all-electric service.

Adrian
05 Apr 2021, 4:44 pm #10

Its minibus because that's what the current contract stipulates, but there's absolutely no reason why full size buses could not be used on the service.

Its worth noting that Policy 21 of the County Durham plan states: "5.228 It is very important that we plan to enable the adoption of alternative fuel vehicles and also actively discourage the number and frequency of single occupancy car journeys through the provision of charging infrastructure for electric vehicles and car sharing bays. Electric vehicle charging infrastructure and car sharing bays will be required in the Parking and Accessibility SPD. We will also support taxi and bus operators to switch to alternative fuel vehicles by identifying and helping with suitable funding opportunities."

So I'd be extremely surprised if the next P&R contract isn't for an all-electric service.

Storx

05 Apr 2021, 4:51 pm #11
(05 Apr 2021, 4:23 pm)Dan The infrastructure is one of the largest costs associated with the procurement of electric buses.

Some good points made, I literally just changed the post there to add in about the Quaylink because of Gosforth High Street and I agree with you tbh. Guessing you's will be looking at getting some of the money (obviously don't expect a reply as you can't).

Fair points about Arriva ngl I'm not sure how strict the funding is in terms of the infrastructure is but I was thinking they might milk it to get some money for their new depot which is supposedly replacing Jesmond / Blyth especially Blyth which has plans to be demolished. Believe Sandy Lane / Cramlington have been rumoured. Whatever they want to do they'll need to invest at some point as they can't keep dragging 15 year old Enviro's and 12 year old Gemini's on frontline services forever.

Agreed with the Durham P&R though, the cathedral service would be a good shout for it aswell when it comes round for renewal.

(05 Apr 2021, 4:44 pm)Adrian Its minibus because that's what the current contract stipulates, but there's absolutely no reason why full size buses could not be used on the service.

Yeah valid points tbf, wasn't too sure on the service whether there was any points where they'd struggle with anything bigger. I've never used it before tbh. It's definitely a service which would make sense being electric.
Storx
05 Apr 2021, 4:51 pm #11

(05 Apr 2021, 4:23 pm)Dan The infrastructure is one of the largest costs associated with the procurement of electric buses.

Some good points made, I literally just changed the post there to add in about the Quaylink because of Gosforth High Street and I agree with you tbh. Guessing you's will be looking at getting some of the money (obviously don't expect a reply as you can't).

Fair points about Arriva ngl I'm not sure how strict the funding is in terms of the infrastructure is but I was thinking they might milk it to get some money for their new depot which is supposedly replacing Jesmond / Blyth especially Blyth which has plans to be demolished. Believe Sandy Lane / Cramlington have been rumoured. Whatever they want to do they'll need to invest at some point as they can't keep dragging 15 year old Enviro's and 12 year old Gemini's on frontline services forever.

Agreed with the Durham P&R though, the cathedral service would be a good shout for it aswell when it comes round for renewal.

(05 Apr 2021, 4:44 pm)Adrian Its minibus because that's what the current contract stipulates, but there's absolutely no reason why full size buses could not be used on the service.

Yeah valid points tbf, wasn't too sure on the service whether there was any points where they'd struggle with anything bigger. I've never used it before tbh. It's definitely a service which would make sense being electric.

cainebj

05 Apr 2021, 5:02 pm #12
Just as a side note, while the ZEBRA document doesn't define minibuses/single deck size the DfT generally define a small PSV as up to and including 22 passenger seats, with a large PSV being 23 seats or more. The document doesn't state full size single deck, just single/double deck and that minibuses/coaches are excluded. If the same criteria applies then the 9.2m electric Solos, equivalent to the existing Durham P&R fleet, should be covered.
cainebj
05 Apr 2021, 5:02 pm #12

Just as a side note, while the ZEBRA document doesn't define minibuses/single deck size the DfT generally define a small PSV as up to and including 22 passenger seats, with a large PSV being 23 seats or more. The document doesn't state full size single deck, just single/double deck and that minibuses/coaches are excluded. If the same criteria applies then the 9.2m electric Solos, equivalent to the existing Durham P&R fleet, should be covered.

Michael

05 Apr 2021, 5:20 pm #13

When will we see GNE use this funding?, is there a limit on how long GNE can hold on to the funding?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
05 Apr 2021, 5:20 pm #13

When will we see GNE use this funding?, is there a limit on how long GNE can hold on to the funding?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

busmanT

05 Apr 2021, 6:25 pm #14

It's actually local authorities that have to do  the bidding, working with the operators and the scheme appears to be written with conversion of significant geographic areas in mind. 
As Dan says, the cost of the infrastructure for a handful of buses is very high so Durham Park & Ride might be out of the question if it's still run by the current operator. 
It only covers 75% of the difference in cost between a diesel bus and an electric bus so operators have to be in a position to invest very significant sums of money.
busmanT
05 Apr 2021, 6:25 pm #14

It's actually local authorities that have to do  the bidding, working with the operators and the scheme appears to be written with conversion of significant geographic areas in mind. 
As Dan says, the cost of the infrastructure for a handful of buses is very high so Durham Park & Ride might be out of the question if it's still run by the current operator. 
It only covers 75% of the difference in cost between a diesel bus and an electric bus so operators have to be in a position to invest very significant sums of money.

peter

05 Apr 2021, 6:54 pm #15

If I recall correctly, I was reading some documents regarding both the Drive at Mount Oswald and the new University accommodation up there. One of them (can't remember which) were awarded planning permission on the condition that they contribute financially towards larger vehicles operating on the PR2, so definitely not unlikely that we'll see bigger buses on the park and ride in the future. Similarly, if Scarlet Band were to continue operation of the contract, you would think the pink bus would be another contender for larger/electric vehicles - especially given that the new uni accommodation is self-catered and there are no shops up that end of Durham.
peter
05 Apr 2021, 6:54 pm #15

If I recall correctly, I was reading some documents regarding both the Drive at Mount Oswald and the new University accommodation up there. One of them (can't remember which) were awarded planning permission on the condition that they contribute financially towards larger vehicles operating on the PR2, so definitely not unlikely that we'll see bigger buses on the park and ride in the future. Similarly, if Scarlet Band were to continue operation of the contract, you would think the pink bus would be another contender for larger/electric vehicles - especially given that the new uni accommodation is self-catered and there are no shops up that end of Durham.

06 Apr 2021, 1:22 pm #16
(05 Apr 2021, 6:54 pm)peter If I recall correctly, I was reading some documents regarding both the Drive at Mount Oswald and the new University accommodation up there. One of them (can't remember which) were awarded planning permission on the condition that they contribute financially towards larger vehicles operating on the PR2, so definitely not unlikely that we'll see bigger buses on the park and ride in the future. Similarly, if Scarlet Band were to continue operation of the contract, you would think the pink bus would be another contender for larger/electric vehicles - especially given that the new uni accommodation is self-catered and there are no shops up that end of Durham.

Every time I've used the park and ride the buses were always fairly busy, so I can imagine with things the way they are at the minute they'll be basically at capacity all the time once things reopen
streetdeckfan
06 Apr 2021, 1:22 pm #16

(05 Apr 2021, 6:54 pm)peter If I recall correctly, I was reading some documents regarding both the Drive at Mount Oswald and the new University accommodation up there. One of them (can't remember which) were awarded planning permission on the condition that they contribute financially towards larger vehicles operating on the PR2, so definitely not unlikely that we'll see bigger buses on the park and ride in the future. Similarly, if Scarlet Band were to continue operation of the contract, you would think the pink bus would be another contender for larger/electric vehicles - especially given that the new uni accommodation is self-catered and there are no shops up that end of Durham.

Every time I've used the park and ride the buses were always fairly busy, so I can imagine with things the way they are at the minute they'll be basically at capacity all the time once things reopen

10 Apr 2021, 6:18 pm #17
Buses ordered through the ZEBRA scheme should be in a black and white livery lol
MetrolineGA1511
10 Apr 2021, 6:18 pm #17

Buses ordered through the ZEBRA scheme should be in a black and white livery lol

10 Apr 2021, 8:08 pm #18
(10 Apr 2021, 6:18 pm)Metroline1511 Buses ordered through the ZEBRA scheme should be in a black and white livery lol

Can't see that going down too well if any get awarded to that place at the mouth of the Wear .....
Ianthegoon
10 Apr 2021, 8:08 pm #18

(10 Apr 2021, 6:18 pm)Metroline1511 Buses ordered through the ZEBRA scheme should be in a black and white livery lol

Can't see that going down too well if any get awarded to that place at the mouth of the Wear .....

Michael

29 Oct 2021, 6:35 pm #19
In Martijn's live update tonight, he has confirmed they've bid for buses.... 77 bid

50 for GNE and rest for Durham/Northumberland council contracts.

https://www.facebook.com/100009920923911...3754764936 - from 2:15

Also, it looks like all of the future GNE buses order will be electric - so no more streetdecks/Streetlites by the look of it - but electric buses are double the price of Diesel buses.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
29 Oct 2021, 6:35 pm #19

In Martijn's live update tonight, he has confirmed they've bid for buses.... 77 bid

50 for GNE and rest for Durham/Northumberland council contracts.

https://www.facebook.com/100009920923911...3754764936 - from 2:15

Also, it looks like all of the future GNE buses order will be electric - so no more streetdecks/Streetlites by the look of it - but electric buses are double the price of Diesel buses.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Keeiajs

29 Oct 2021, 7:35 pm #20
Would be nice to see Deptford get some electric buses possibly for the 60/20 or 56 (seems to be the most popular Sunderland routes)
Keeiajs
29 Oct 2021, 7:35 pm #20

Would be nice to see Deptford get some electric buses possibly for the 60/20 or 56 (seems to be the most popular Sunderland routes)

Pages (6): 1 2 36 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average