Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Politics (and other political stuff)

Politics (and other political stuff)

Politics (and other political stuff)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (67) Previous 162 63 6467 Next
Andreos1

04 May 2021, 12:21 pm #1,241
(02 May 2021, 6:14 pm)Andreos1 https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...1077302185&id=102727174969910

Turns out buses are a hot topic in local politics.

Not just locally it seems.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56827739.amp

I really wish the 'I'm alright Jack' mentality would stop and people stood back, realising what goes on and not just in rural areas.
It happens in suburban areas too and it needs addressing. Quickly.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
04 May 2021, 12:21 pm #1,241

(02 May 2021, 6:14 pm)Andreos1 https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...1077302185&id=102727174969910

Turns out buses are a hot topic in local politics.

Not just locally it seems.

I really wish the 'I'm alright Jack' mentality would stop and people stood back, realising what goes on and not just in rural areas.

busmanT

04 May 2021, 4:47 pm #1,242
(04 May 2021, 12:21 pm)Andreos1 Not just locally it seems.

They always use some very odd examples to make their case!

Bishop's Castle has a population of less than 2,000 and is never going to receive frequent bus services - it never has.

Burton Green is a commuter village in Warwickshire. The village consists of about 263 homes and has a resident population of 643 - it will never have frequent bus services either.
busmanT
04 May 2021, 4:47 pm #1,242

(04 May 2021, 12:21 pm)Andreos1 Not just locally it seems.

They always use some very odd examples to make their case!

Bishop's Castle has a population of less than 2,000 and is never going to receive frequent bus services - it never has.

Burton Green is a commuter village in Warwickshire. The village consists of about 263 homes and has a resident population of 643 - it will never have frequent bus services either.

Andreos1

04 May 2021, 9:31 pm #1,243
(04 May 2021, 4:47 pm)busmanT They always use some very odd examples to make their case!

Interesting comments.
A shame you feel that these people and their communities don't deserve a frequent bus service.

What are your thoughts on an in-frequent service?
Do they deserve one of those?

Andreos1
04 May 2021, 9:31 pm #1,243

(04 May 2021, 4:47 pm)busmanT They always use some very odd examples to make their case!

Interesting comments.
A shame you feel that these people and their communities don't deserve a frequent bus service.

busmanT

05 May 2021, 3:45 pm #1,244
(04 May 2021, 9:31 pm)Andreos1 Interesting comments.

There is clearly never going to be a 15 minute headway daytime, and evening and Sunday, service in these areas - apart from the cost, there simply won't be the  demand. It's not a question of feeling or deserving.

One hopes that under Bus Back Better Local Authorities will have to maintain a minimum level of bus service in each town/village etc. based on set criteria - population might be one criteria, access to health facilities might be another, car ownership levels perhaps included.
busmanT
05 May 2021, 3:45 pm #1,244

(04 May 2021, 9:31 pm)Andreos1 Interesting comments.

There is clearly never going to be a 15 minute headway daytime, and evening and Sunday, service in these areas - apart from the cost, there simply won't be the  demand. It's not a question of feeling or deserving.

One hopes that under Bus Back Better Local Authorities will have to maintain a minimum level of bus service in each town/village etc. based on set criteria - population might be one criteria, access to health facilities might be another, car ownership levels perhaps included.

Andreos1

05 May 2021, 4:37 pm #1,245
(05 May 2021, 3:45 pm)busmanT There is clearly never going to be a 15 minute headway daytime, and evening and Sunday, service in these areas - apart from the cost, there simply won't be the  demand. It's not a question of feeling or deserving.

I'm not sure anyone has ever said their should be a 15min headway in places like that Huh

Andreos1
05 May 2021, 4:37 pm #1,245

(05 May 2021, 3:45 pm)busmanT There is clearly never going to be a 15 minute headway daytime, and evening and Sunday, service in these areas - apart from the cost, there simply won't be the  demand. It's not a question of feeling or deserving.

I'm not sure anyone has ever said their should be a 15min headway in places like that Huh

Rob44

07 May 2021, 9:32 am #1,246
Bad day for Labour in Hartlepool. I do have to chuckle at the reason some people give for voting tory. Not enough police cells. Reducing the NHS . Cant get gp or dentist. HMMM you'd think it was labour who had been in power for the last 10 years!
Rob44
07 May 2021, 9:32 am #1,246

Bad day for Labour in Hartlepool. I do have to chuckle at the reason some people give for voting tory. Not enough police cells. Reducing the NHS . Cant get gp or dentist. HMMM you'd think it was labour who had been in power for the last 10 years!

Andreos1

07 May 2021, 10:41 am #1,247
(07 May 2021, 9:32 am)Rob44 Bad day for Labour in Hartlepool. I do have to chuckle at the reason some people give for voting tory. Not enough police cells. Reducing the NHS . Cant get gp or dentist.  HMMM you'd think it was labour who had been in power for the last 10 years!

Bonkers isn't it?
Like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Andreos1
07 May 2021, 10:41 am #1,247

(07 May 2021, 9:32 am)Rob44 Bad day for Labour in Hartlepool. I do have to chuckle at the reason some people give for voting tory. Not enough police cells. Reducing the NHS . Cant get gp or dentist.  HMMM you'd think it was labour who had been in power for the last 10 years!

Bonkers isn't it?

Rob44

07 May 2021, 12:03 pm #1,248
(07 May 2021, 10:41 am)Andreos1 Bonkers isn't it?

They might get a short term gain with the Tories putting a few extra quid there way as they do but just wait until rikish needs to get some of the £££ back... they'll be the first lot stung.... not the Tory heartlands like the  southeaset
Rob44
07 May 2021, 12:03 pm #1,248

They might get a short term gain with the Tories putting a few extra quid there way as they do but just wait until rikish needs to get some of the £££ back... they'll be the first lot stung.... not the Tory heartlands like the  southeaset

mb134

08 May 2021, 12:12 am #1,249

No sympathy for any of them. Any sort of independent thinking or reading would tell folk that voting for this current Conservative party is a mistake - yet here we are. 

Equally, the very left of the Labour party need to get some perspective. Hartlepool would have been Tory in 2019 if not for UKIP splitting the vote. Corbyn was never going to be accepted by the general population in a third GE given his performance in the previous two against *shocking* opposition, and its about time people realised that.  

The current political landscape of those on the far left/right constantly shouting the loudest is getting rather tiresome, to the point I - and many people I know - are getting more disinterested in politics by the day. The lack of any sort of nuance, critical thinking, or educated opinion makes any sort of discourse beyond laborious.
mb134
08 May 2021, 12:12 am #1,249

No sympathy for any of them. Any sort of independent thinking or reading would tell folk that voting for this current Conservative party is a mistake - yet here we are. 

Equally, the very left of the Labour party need to get some perspective. Hartlepool would have been Tory in 2019 if not for UKIP splitting the vote. Corbyn was never going to be accepted by the general population in a third GE given his performance in the previous two against *shocking* opposition, and its about time people realised that.  

The current political landscape of those on the far left/right constantly shouting the loudest is getting rather tiresome, to the point I - and many people I know - are getting more disinterested in politics by the day. The lack of any sort of nuance, critical thinking, or educated opinion makes any sort of discourse beyond laborious.

Rob44

08 May 2021, 7:01 am #1,250
The reason why Corbyn was never going to be accepted. Right wing news organisations like the S*n, sky and bbc!"
Rob44
08 May 2021, 7:01 am #1,250

The reason why Corbyn was never going to be accepted. Right wing news organisations like the S*n, sky and bbc!"

08 May 2021, 2:08 pm #1,251
Although Labour have lost the Hartlepool seat and missed out on the Tees Valley Mayor, they have held Tyne & Wear councils and the North Tyneside Mayor.

As well as the Conservatives, the Greens have made gains. The SNP could gain 1 or 2 seats, the 2nd net gain would give them an outright majority in the Scottish Parliament.
MetrolineGA1511
08 May 2021, 2:08 pm #1,251

Although Labour have lost the Hartlepool seat and missed out on the Tees Valley Mayor, they have held Tyne & Wear councils and the North Tyneside Mayor.

As well as the Conservatives, the Greens have made gains. The SNP could gain 1 or 2 seats, the 2nd net gain would give them an outright majority in the Scottish Parliament.

Andreos1

08 May 2021, 4:50 pm #1,252
(08 May 2021, 12:12 am)mb134 No sympathy for any of them. Any sort of independent thinking or reading would tell folk that voting for this current Conservative party is a mistake - yet here we are.  

I just don't get it. I really don't. 
There must be some logic to it. Somewhere. Maybe?

Just found this thread. Need to check the claims out fully, but another example of the nasty party, doing what they do best? Along with lying, corruption and generally being buffoons. 

https://twitter.com/docrussjackson/statu...25642?s=19

Andreos1
08 May 2021, 4:50 pm #1,252

(08 May 2021, 12:12 am)mb134 No sympathy for any of them. Any sort of independent thinking or reading would tell folk that voting for this current Conservative party is a mistake - yet here we are.  

I just don't get it. I really don't. 
There must be some logic to it. Somewhere. Maybe?

Just found this thread. Need to check the claims out fully, but another example of the nasty party, doing what they do best? Along with lying, corruption and generally being buffoons. 

https://twitter.com/docrussjackson/statu...25642?s=19

Adrian

08 May 2021, 10:22 pm #1,253

Its quite easy to play the blame game with Corbyn, but the Labour results since 1997 follow a downward trend. 2017 was the exception, where the Party gained a vote share similar to that which resulted in a comfortable majority in 2001.

To blame the 'very left' of the Labour Party is quite naïve. Labour started to lose the Midlands, Wales, Scotland and the North East again from 2005. Further losses in 2010, followed by 40 seats lost in Scotland in 2015 (thanks largely to the decision to side with the Tories in the indyref vote), although others picked up due to the Liberal Democrat vote collapsing.

In the North East in particular, and in working class people’s minds, Labour is associated with either facilitating it or not fighting the deindustrialisation and almost abandonment of the region. Its why Ben Houchen for example has faired so well in the Tees Valley; because people feel that he is delivering things that they want and that they deserve. Labour had the opportunity to do that since 1997, but largely failed to deliver. It's also why the Labour Party's opposition to (or stance on) Brexit was disastrous, with the 2019 results reflecting that. People felt that something they wanted (and needed) was being taken away against their will.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
08 May 2021, 10:22 pm #1,253

Its quite easy to play the blame game with Corbyn, but the Labour results since 1997 follow a downward trend. 2017 was the exception, where the Party gained a vote share similar to that which resulted in a comfortable majority in 2001.

To blame the 'very left' of the Labour Party is quite naïve. Labour started to lose the Midlands, Wales, Scotland and the North East again from 2005. Further losses in 2010, followed by 40 seats lost in Scotland in 2015 (thanks largely to the decision to side with the Tories in the indyref vote), although others picked up due to the Liberal Democrat vote collapsing.

In the North East in particular, and in working class people’s minds, Labour is associated with either facilitating it or not fighting the deindustrialisation and almost abandonment of the region. Its why Ben Houchen for example has faired so well in the Tees Valley; because people feel that he is delivering things that they want and that they deserve. Labour had the opportunity to do that since 1997, but largely failed to deliver. It's also why the Labour Party's opposition to (or stance on) Brexit was disastrous, with the 2019 results reflecting that. People felt that something they wanted (and needed) was being taken away against their will.

Adrian

08 May 2021, 10:28 pm #1,254
(08 May 2021, 2:08 pm)Metroline1511 Although Labour have lost the Hartlepool seat and missed out on the Tees Valley Mayor, they have held Tyne & Wear councils and the North Tyneside Mayor.

As well as the Conservatives, the Greens have made gains.  The SNP could gain 1 or 2 seats, the 2nd net gain would give them an outright majority in the Scottish Parliament.

Though they have lost control of Durham County Council.

53 LAB, 23 CON, 17 LD, 5 DI, 23 IND, 1 GRN, 4 NEP, with 64 required for a majority.

So you're looking at either:
a) LAB/LD majority of 7 (potentially 8 with the Green)
b) CON/LD/IND/DI majority of 5
c) CON/LD/IND/DI/NEP majority of 9

It's going to be an interesting couple of days, as the 'independents' are an extremely diverse range of councillors. You might end up with something like a CON/LD/DI minority including a couple of the independents, but also with a confidence and supply arrangement with the others.

Another big question for Durham is the new County Hall HQ development in Durham City. All previous opposition parties were vehemently opposed to the redevelopment and move 'in the current climate'. Its already well under construction, but I think their electorate would expect them to pull the plug on it now and lease the building to a 3rd Party instead.

Adrian
08 May 2021, 10:28 pm #1,254

(08 May 2021, 2:08 pm)Metroline1511 Although Labour have lost the Hartlepool seat and missed out on the Tees Valley Mayor, they have held Tyne & Wear councils and the North Tyneside Mayor.

As well as the Conservatives, the Greens have made gains.  The SNP could gain 1 or 2 seats, the 2nd net gain would give them an outright majority in the Scottish Parliament.

Though they have lost control of Durham County Council.

53 LAB, 23 CON, 17 LD, 5 DI, 23 IND, 1 GRN, 4 NEP, with 64 required for a majority.

It's going to be an interesting couple of days, as the 'independents' are an extremely diverse range of councillors. You might end up with something like a CON/LD/DI minority including a couple of the independents, but also with a confidence and supply arrangement with the others.

Another big question for Durham is the new County Hall HQ development in Durham City. All previous opposition parties were vehemently opposed to the redevelopment and move 'in the current climate'. Its already well under construction, but I think their electorate would expect them to pull the plug on it now and lease the building to a 3rd Party instead.

BusLoverMum

08 May 2021, 11:55 pm #1,255
I can't see most of the Durham City libdems siding with Labour.
BusLoverMum
08 May 2021, 11:55 pm #1,255

I can't see most of the Durham City libdems siding with Labour.

Adrian

08 May 2021, 11:58 pm #1,256
(08 May 2021, 11:55 pm)BusLoverMum I can't see most of the Durham City libdems siding with Labour.
No, I can't either, but I'd give the other option 18 months before it implodes... and that is being generous.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Adrian
08 May 2021, 11:58 pm #1,256

(08 May 2021, 11:55 pm)BusLoverMum I can't see most of the Durham City libdems siding with Labour.
No, I can't either, but I'd give the other option 18 months before it implodes... and that is being generous.

BusLoverMum

09 May 2021, 12:11 am #1,257
(08 May 2021, 11:58 pm)Adrian No, I can't either, but I'd give the other option 18 months before it implodes... and that is being generous.

Interesting times.
BusLoverMum
09 May 2021, 12:11 am #1,257

(08 May 2021, 11:58 pm)Adrian No, I can't either, but I'd give the other option 18 months before it implodes... and that is being generous.

Interesting times.

mb134

09 May 2021, 1:39 am #1,258
(08 May 2021, 10:22 pm)Adrian Its quite easy to play the blame game with Corbyn, but the Labour results since 1997 follow a downward trend. 2017 was the exception, where the Party gained a vote share similar to that which resulted in a comfortable majority in 2001.

In terms of capturing the youth, Corbyn was fine. In terms of capturing the general population, many of whom read the Daily Heil and the Scum on a regular basis, he was never going to have the platform to win. I don't believe the general public would vote for a very left wing set of policies straight from a hard right Tory regime, I think that would only work if you had a more centre-left government in place first (i.e I think it could have worked straight after Brown, if the financial crash hadn't happened, but it's a field day for the right-wing press when under a Tory government). 

I'm not blaming them, simply stating that they need to have perspective. The Corbyn experiment, which may I add I supported for a few years, is over and the party needed to unite and move forward. On the 2005 point, the party had been in power for 7 years and had taken us to a war which many opposed - vote share was bound to drop. Ditto 2010 and the financial crash (not Labour's fault as we know, but the press will be the press).  

The party as a whole need to figure out what they are, and actually convey that to the general public. This Tory government are a bunch of charlatans, I'd take Thatcher in a heartbeat over this lot, and I find it astounding that there's no clear strategy to combat it - just jumping from one thing to the next without any real structure which makes sense to anyone who doesn't religiously follow politics.
mb134
09 May 2021, 1:39 am #1,258

(08 May 2021, 10:22 pm)Adrian Its quite easy to play the blame game with Corbyn, but the Labour results since 1997 follow a downward trend. 2017 was the exception, where the Party gained a vote share similar to that which resulted in a comfortable majority in 2001.

In terms of capturing the youth, Corbyn was fine. In terms of capturing the general population, many of whom read the Daily Heil and the Scum on a regular basis, he was never going to have the platform to win. I don't believe the general public would vote for a very left wing set of policies straight from a hard right Tory regime, I think that would only work if you had a more centre-left government in place first (i.e I think it could have worked straight after Brown, if the financial crash hadn't happened, but it's a field day for the right-wing press when under a Tory government). 

I'm not blaming them, simply stating that they need to have perspective. The Corbyn experiment, which may I add I supported for a few years, is over and the party needed to unite and move forward. On the 2005 point, the party had been in power for 7 years and had taken us to a war which many opposed - vote share was bound to drop. Ditto 2010 and the financial crash (not Labour's fault as we know, but the press will be the press).  

The party as a whole need to figure out what they are, and actually convey that to the general public. This Tory government are a bunch of charlatans, I'd take Thatcher in a heartbeat over this lot, and I find it astounding that there's no clear strategy to combat it - just jumping from one thing to the next without any real structure which makes sense to anyone who doesn't religiously follow politics.

09 May 2021, 6:17 pm #1,259

Where Tony Blair did Labour a dis-service was that, although he said he would never be complacent, in practice he assumed safe Labour areas were already won and all he had to do was appeal to his target areas, mainly then Tory marginals.  This started to show during his 1st term with low turnouts in the European elections of 1999 and Tottenham by-election of 2000.  His belief that Labour voters in apparently safe Labour areas had nowhere else to go bred a lot of voter apathy and disillusion.  So much so, that in his 2001 landslide Labour got fewer votes than in 1992 when Neil Kinnock did not win for Labour.  Furthermore, in marginal seats they often got more votes than in "safe" Labour seats.  So for example they got more votes in Harrow seats than Liverpool ones.

(08 May 2021, 10:28 pm)Adrian Though they have lost control of Durham County Council.

Yes, County Durham has been a high-profile loss, being the first time since 1925.  Mind you, Labour had more of a drubbing than average in the area in 2019, where they lost Durham North West, Sedgefield and Bishop Auckland.  Labour also lost Darlington in 2019, which admittedly is now a Unitary authority so not part of Durham County Council.
MetrolineGA1511
09 May 2021, 6:17 pm #1,259

Where Tony Blair did Labour a dis-service was that, although he said he would never be complacent, in practice he assumed safe Labour areas were already won and all he had to do was appeal to his target areas, mainly then Tory marginals.  This started to show during his 1st term with low turnouts in the European elections of 1999 and Tottenham by-election of 2000.  His belief that Labour voters in apparently safe Labour areas had nowhere else to go bred a lot of voter apathy and disillusion.  So much so, that in his 2001 landslide Labour got fewer votes than in 1992 when Neil Kinnock did not win for Labour.  Furthermore, in marginal seats they often got more votes than in "safe" Labour seats.  So for example they got more votes in Harrow seats than Liverpool ones.

(08 May 2021, 10:28 pm)Adrian Though they have lost control of Durham County Council.

Yes, County Durham has been a high-profile loss, being the first time since 1925.  Mind you, Labour had more of a drubbing than average in the area in 2019, where they lost Durham North West, Sedgefield and Bishop Auckland.  Labour also lost Darlington in 2019, which admittedly is now a Unitary authority so not part of Durham County Council.

Adrian

09 May 2021, 7:06 pm #1,260
(09 May 2021, 1:39 am)mb134 In terms of capturing the youth, Corbyn was fine. In terms of capturing the general population, many of whom read the Daily Heil and the Scum on a regular basis, he was never going to have the platform to win. I don't believe the general public would vote for a very left wing set of policies straight from a hard right Tory regime, I think that would only work if you had a more centre-left government in place first (i.e I think it could have worked straight after Brown, if the financial crash hadn't happened, but it's a field day for the right-wing press when under a Tory government). 

I don't think Corbyn's policies were 'very left wing' by any stretch of the imagination, but it'd be a reasonable statement to make that he/his own politics were seen as very left wing to the electorate - and of course it was too easy for the media to smear him as a person.

I don't disagree that the Party needs to figure out what they are and what message they're sending to the electorate, but they need to start doing that quickly. In my opinion, Starmer has had a disastrous first year as a leader. His leadership has spent more time attacking hard-working party activists than it has being an effective opposition in Government. His position is untenable now. There's a lot of caution about now not being the time to change leader, but when do you do it? There's a general election in 3 years.

Adrian
09 May 2021, 7:06 pm #1,260

(09 May 2021, 1:39 am)mb134 In terms of capturing the youth, Corbyn was fine. In terms of capturing the general population, many of whom read the Daily Heil and the Scum on a regular basis, he was never going to have the platform to win. I don't believe the general public would vote for a very left wing set of policies straight from a hard right Tory regime, I think that would only work if you had a more centre-left government in place first (i.e I think it could have worked straight after Brown, if the financial crash hadn't happened, but it's a field day for the right-wing press when under a Tory government). 

I don't think Corbyn's policies were 'very left wing' by any stretch of the imagination, but it'd be a reasonable statement to make that he/his own politics were seen as very left wing to the electorate - and of course it was too easy for the media to smear him as a person.

I don't disagree that the Party needs to figure out what they are and what message they're sending to the electorate, but they need to start doing that quickly. In my opinion, Starmer has had a disastrous first year as a leader. His leadership has spent more time attacking hard-working party activists than it has being an effective opposition in Government. His position is untenable now. There's a lot of caution about now not being the time to change leader, but when do you do it? There's a general election in 3 years.

Pages (67) Previous 162 63 6467 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average