Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next
L469 YVK

26 Jul 2014, 7:44 pm #1
Both past and present!
L469 YVK
26 Jul 2014, 7:44 pm #1

Both past and present!

26 Jul 2014, 8:13 pm #2
Now that GNE's X3 has gone 'down the river', I think GNE's 71 will become the main topic in GNE's side of things.

As I use the 71 regularly, I must say, although I may have said differently in the past, I don't think there is actually anything wrong with the service itself. It just needs a better timetable in order to function properly, and I don't think the answer is to combine services, and resultantly withdrawing some. All of the places served bring passengers, and that is the main thing, it just isn't good enough in terms of reliability and
timing.

Maybe a typical run to Houghton and back could be;

Chester Front Street --- 15
Houghton Le Spring --- 50
(the extra 5 minutes allows any time lost to be made up for, and not destroy the rest of the day for the service)
Houghton Le Spring --- 55
Chester Le Street --- 30
(fair enough this leaves 15 minutes, but the service can lose, in some cases, about 10 minutes when picking up people going into Chester)

I'm crap at making timetables, so I'll let someone else try Tongue
Edited 26 Jul 2014, 8:14 pm by R852 PRG.
R852 PRG
26 Jul 2014, 8:13 pm #2

Now that GNE's X3 has gone 'down the river', I think GNE's 71 will become the main topic in GNE's side of things.

As I use the 71 regularly, I must say, although I may have said differently in the past, I don't think there is actually anything wrong with the service itself. It just needs a better timetable in order to function properly, and I don't think the answer is to combine services, and resultantly withdrawing some. All of the places served bring passengers, and that is the main thing, it just isn't good enough in terms of reliability and
timing.

(the extra 5 minutes allows any time lost to be made up for, and not destroy the rest of the day for the service)
Chester Le Street --- 30
(fair enough this leaves 15 minutes, but the service can lose, in some cases, about 10 minutes when picking up people going into Chester)

Jimmi

26 Jul 2014, 8:15 pm #3
I remember Service 213 Darlington - Sunderland had a notoriously bad reputation many years back.

One story I heard is that it once broken down outside Sedgefield Cricket Club and a passenger went for a pint until the next bus came Big Grin

One day I was going to Sunderland and a passenger boarded the bus who looked drunk from the night before and he was sat on the sideways seats behind the drivers cab on a Dart and just outside Easington he fell off the seat and he fell like a ton of bricks falling to the ground, then we had to wait for an ambulance to come for ages.

On the same day as the drunk falling off the seat, on the way home the driver stopped the bus just outside Peterlee Bus Station and got out of the bus (possibly a driver changeover), but no driver turned up for ages, I think we were sat there for about 40 minutes until a driver eventually turned up Angry
Jimmi
26 Jul 2014, 8:15 pm #3

I remember Service 213 Darlington - Sunderland had a notoriously bad reputation many years back.

One story I heard is that it once broken down outside Sedgefield Cricket Club and a passenger went for a pint until the next bus came Big Grin

One day I was going to Sunderland and a passenger boarded the bus who looked drunk from the night before and he was sat on the sideways seats behind the drivers cab on a Dart and just outside Easington he fell off the seat and he fell like a ton of bricks falling to the ground, then we had to wait for an ambulance to come for ages.

On the same day as the drunk falling off the seat, on the way home the driver stopped the bus just outside Peterlee Bus Station and got out of the bus (possibly a driver changeover), but no driver turned up for ages, I think we were sat there for about 40 minutes until a driver eventually turned up Angry

26 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm #4
Anyone remember the old X50 by Go North East (or, Go Northern, depending which way you look at it)? Didn't it interwork with an X20 when it got to Durham or something? Must have been a nightmare for the drivers!
R852 PRG
26 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm #4

Anyone remember the old X50 by Go North East (or, Go Northern, depending which way you look at it)? Didn't it interwork with an X20 when it got to Durham or something? Must have been a nightmare for the drivers!

Andreos1

26 Jul 2014, 8:30 pm #5
My controversial service was the via Barley Mow 26 and 777.

I used the services quite a bit.
The 26 in pre-reg days and beyond and the 777 on the Chester - Sunderland and later when it changed to Newcastle - Sunderland.

The 26 gradually saw the vehicle size reduce, despite numbers being good.
Overnight, it went from an Atlantean or Metrobus to a Handybus - eventually seeing Lances/Deltas takeover.

The service stopped running early evening, but on Fridays and Saturdays, a couple of late runs ran - leaving a 4/5 hour gap, between the last bus and the last, last buses.

It was replaced by the 777 on the Newcastle - Barley Mow stretch eventually.
The 777, was then fiddled about with so much, it replaced the 183 - leaving the Barley Mow - Newcastle bus obsolete.
But hey, there was always a 21 at the bottom of the road... Wink

Even now, residents at the far end of Birtley don't have a direct bus to Gateshead or Newcastle (unless they walk to get a 21 or x25 OR use the m2/3 and incur additional charges).
Durham Road also sees a poorer service, with punters crowding onto a 21 and delaying it even more than it already is.

(26 Jul 2014, 8:13 pm)Marcus Now that GNE's X3 has gone 'down the river', I think GNE's 71 will become the main topic in GNE's side of things.

timing.

Chester Le Street --- 30

I appreciate I may sound like a broken record, but with the 'let's make the 21 work at any cost' attitude and axing of the 21a, the service was doomed to be second or third rate at best.

You have said yourself how the passengers work, in the main - using the service either side of the county border.
Fares are ridiculous and buses have been cast offs since day 1.

People don't want to go to Chester or Houghton, hang around waiting for connections (connections need to work both ways, not just on the way out) and huddle around in poor 'interchange' facilities and pay a premium for the privilege.

You don't need to be a genius to know that either.

The service was squeezed out of the Sunderland - Houghton market and is being squeezed on local sections too.

Just wish the powers that be, listened to what passengers wanted and not forced the services onto the communities it serves.

It must make some money - however, I am not sure it makes anywhere near the money the 21a, 160, 163, 177 or 178 made prior to their amalgamation into one.

(26 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm)Marcus Anyone remember the old X50 by Go North East (or, Go Northern, depending which way you look at it)? Didn't it interwork with an X20 when it got to Durham or something? Must have been a nightmare for the drivers!

Aye, especially on days like today.

Used vehicles already in the fleet, until they decided to purchase Solars for it.
Apparently it was amongst the fastest growing services around.

Not sure why they scrapped it if that was the case... :s
Edited 26 Jul 2014, 8:59 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
26 Jul 2014, 8:30 pm #5

My controversial service was the via Barley Mow 26 and 777.

I used the services quite a bit.
The 26 in pre-reg days and beyond and the 777 on the Chester - Sunderland and later when it changed to Newcastle - Sunderland.

The 26 gradually saw the vehicle size reduce, despite numbers being good.
Overnight, it went from an Atlantean or Metrobus to a Handybus - eventually seeing Lances/Deltas takeover.

The service stopped running early evening, but on Fridays and Saturdays, a couple of late runs ran - leaving a 4/5 hour gap, between the last bus and the last, last buses.

It was replaced by the 777 on the Newcastle - Barley Mow stretch eventually.
The 777, was then fiddled about with so much, it replaced the 183 - leaving the Barley Mow - Newcastle bus obsolete.
But hey, there was always a 21 at the bottom of the road... Wink

Even now, residents at the far end of Birtley don't have a direct bus to Gateshead or Newcastle (unless they walk to get a 21 or x25 OR use the m2/3 and incur additional charges).
Durham Road also sees a poorer service, with punters crowding onto a 21 and delaying it even more than it already is.

(26 Jul 2014, 8:13 pm)Marcus Now that GNE's X3 has gone 'down the river', I think GNE's 71 will become the main topic in GNE's side of things.

timing.

Chester Le Street --- 30

I appreciate I may sound like a broken record, but with the 'let's make the 21 work at any cost' attitude and axing of the 21a, the service was doomed to be second or third rate at best.

You have said yourself how the passengers work, in the main - using the service either side of the county border.

People don't want to go to Chester or Houghton, hang around waiting for connections (connections need to work both ways, not just on the way out) and huddle around in poor 'interchange' facilities and pay a premium for the privilege.

The service was squeezed out of the Sunderland - Houghton market and is being squeezed on local sections too.

Just wish the powers that be, listened to what passengers wanted and not forced the services onto the communities it serves.

It must make some money - however, I am not sure it makes anywhere near the money the 21a, 160, 163, 177 or 178 made prior to their amalgamation into one.

(26 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm)Marcus Anyone remember the old X50 by Go North East (or, Go Northern, depending which way you look at it)? Didn't it interwork with an X20 when it got to Durham or something? Must have been a nightmare for the drivers!

Used vehicles already in the fleet, until they decided to purchase Solars for it.

26 Jul 2014, 8:36 pm #6
(26 Jul 2014, 8:30 pm)Andreos Constantopolous I appreciate I may sound like a broken record, but with the 'let's make the 21 work at any cost' attitude and axing of the 21a, the service was doomed to be second or third rate at best.

You've basically just said what I tried to say, Andreos Tongue - I'm terrible at explaining stuff!

I agree, I reckon the depot just throws out whatever they want on it, Lolynes, B10BLEs, Scanias, the list goes on!

The communities (cough cough FPF) that it serve would do a pretty good job of running it themselves, wouldn't you say Wink

In regards to the X50, I recall, although once again, I was quite young when it was about, used to get the Nationals?
R852 PRG
26 Jul 2014, 8:36 pm #6

(26 Jul 2014, 8:30 pm)Andreos Constantopolous I appreciate I may sound like a broken record, but with the 'let's make the 21 work at any cost' attitude and axing of the 21a, the service was doomed to be second or third rate at best.

You've basically just said what I tried to say, Andreos Tongue - I'm terrible at explaining stuff!

I agree, I reckon the depot just throws out whatever they want on it, Lolynes, B10BLEs, Scanias, the list goes on!

The communities (cough cough FPF) that it serve would do a pretty good job of running it themselves, wouldn't you say Wink

In regards to the X50, I recall, although once again, I was quite young when it was about, used to get the Nationals?

Adrian

26 Jul 2014, 8:38 pm #7
(26 Jul 2014, 8:30 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Aye, especially on days like today.

Wasn't it when they took away the Pink Panther services that done Newton Hall and Pit Lane? Instead, they diverted the X50 round Pit Lane and took away it's Xpress status. I remember them wittering on about it at the time saying something along the lines of if there are two routes in Durham, why not have one serve one and one serve the other...

A controversial service for me has to be when the M1 was re-routed to serve Fencehouses. There was a complete disregard for the amount of passengers that travelled from Washington to Phillidelphia for college. You would never be able to get moved on the 194/294 on a morning or evening, and that was on a 10 min frequency with Renowns and later Solars. The reason it was so controversial was because it was apparently done based on customer responses to their consultation, which is actually one of the most misleading questions I've seen in my life. See question 1.

And on a lighter note... the 638! Some loved it, some hated it, most didn't give a flying preverbial! It was one of those routes that everyone knew about and had used at some point.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
26 Jul 2014, 8:38 pm #7

(26 Jul 2014, 8:30 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Aye, especially on days like today.

Wasn't it when they took away the Pink Panther services that done Newton Hall and Pit Lane? Instead, they diverted the X50 round Pit Lane and took away it's Xpress status. I remember them wittering on about it at the time saying something along the lines of if there are two routes in Durham, why not have one serve one and one serve the other...

A controversial service for me has to be when the M1 was re-routed to serve Fencehouses. There was a complete disregard for the amount of passengers that travelled from Washington to Phillidelphia for college. You would never be able to get moved on the 194/294 on a morning or evening, and that was on a 10 min frequency with Renowns and later Solars. The reason it was so controversial was because it was apparently done based on customer responses to their consultation, which is actually one of the most misleading questions I've seen in my life. See question 1.

And on a lighter note... the 638! Some loved it, some hated it, most didn't give a flying preverbial! It was one of those routes that everyone knew about and had used at some point.

Andreos1

26 Jul 2014, 8:52 pm #8
(26 Jul 2014, 8:36 pm)Marcus You've basically just said what I tried to say, Andreos Tongue - I'm terrible at explaining stuff!

And that is after several alcoholic beverages and an afternoon in the sun Wink.

Can't remember Nationals being on it.
Plaxton Verdes were if I remember right.

(26 Jul 2014, 8:38 pm)aureolin Wasn't it when they took away the Pink Panther services that done Newton Hall and Pit Lane? Instead, they diverted the X50 round Pit Lane and took away it's Xpress status. I remember them wittering on about it at the time saying something along the lines of if there are two routes in Durham, why not have one serve one and one serve the other...

Ah the 638...

Not just college students - pupils at St Robert a and Biddick also lost out with the M1 changes.

Love how Fencehouses has been a recurring theme so far! Big Grin
Edited 26 Jul 2014, 8:56 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
26 Jul 2014, 8:52 pm #8

(26 Jul 2014, 8:36 pm)Marcus You've basically just said what I tried to say, Andreos Tongue - I'm terrible at explaining stuff!

And that is after several alcoholic beverages and an afternoon in the sun Wink.

(26 Jul 2014, 8:38 pm)aureolin Wasn't it when they took away the Pink Panther services that done Newton Hall and Pit Lane? Instead, they diverted the X50 round Pit Lane and took away it's Xpress status. I remember them wittering on about it at the time saying something along the lines of if there are two routes in Durham, why not have one serve one and one serve the other...

Ah the 638...

Not just college students - pupils at St Robert a and Biddick also lost out with the M1 changes.

Love how Fencehouses has been a recurring theme so far! Big Grin

Adrian

26 Jul 2014, 8:59 pm #9
(26 Jul 2014, 8:52 pm)Andreos Constantopolous And that is after several alcoholic beverages and an afternoon in the sun Wink.

Can't remember Nationals either. I seem to recall Deltas though. Possibly around 99/00? From that I can only recall SPDs, Solars, DAFs, until the Solars were put back on in 2009-ish(?)

Adrian
26 Jul 2014, 8:59 pm #9

(26 Jul 2014, 8:52 pm)Andreos Constantopolous And that is after several alcoholic beverages and an afternoon in the sun Wink.

Can't remember Nationals either. I seem to recall Deltas though. Possibly around 99/00? From that I can only recall SPDs, Solars, DAFs, until the Solars were put back on in 2009-ish(?)

Adrian

26 Jul 2014, 9:03 pm #10
What about the real controversial services. Who was it who tried to go to war with Busways in Newcastle, and we got Magicbus as a result of it?? What about the Durham Rd bus war? Was it Classic that ran a 21 down there?

And lets not forget the Bargain Bus Big Grin the days where a Tyneside civil ('turf' Wink) war almost erupted.

Adrian
26 Jul 2014, 9:03 pm #10

What about the real controversial services. Who was it who tried to go to war with Busways in Newcastle, and we got Magicbus as a result of it?? What about the Durham Rd bus war? Was it Classic that ran a 21 down there?

And lets not forget the Bargain Bus Big Grin the days where a Tyneside civil ('turf' Wink) war almost erupted.

Andreos1

26 Jul 2014, 9:07 pm #11
(26 Jul 2014, 9:03 pm)aureolin What about the real controversial services. Who was it who tried to go to war with Busways in Newcastle, and we got Magicbus as a result of it?? What about the Durham Rd bus war? Was it Classic that ran a 21 down there?

ANE were feeding their drivers raw meat! Big Grin

Can remember Magic Bus, but can't remember the competitions name.
Pretty sure it was a small independent.

Aye, Classic ran all sorts to Chester. Can remember RE's being used at one point!
Used a rip off tag line too - Proud of our routes, opposed to Northerns Proud of our heritage line.

Andreos1
26 Jul 2014, 9:07 pm #11

(26 Jul 2014, 9:03 pm)aureolin What about the real controversial services. Who was it who tried to go to war with Busways in Newcastle, and we got Magicbus as a result of it?? What about the Durham Rd bus war? Was it Classic that ran a 21 down there?

ANE were feeding their drivers raw meat! Big Grin

Aye, Classic ran all sorts to Chester. Can remember RE's being used at one point!
Used a rip off tag line too - Proud of our routes, opposed to Northerns Proud of our heritage line.

26 Jul 2014, 9:12 pm #12
(26 Jul 2014, 8:59 pm)aureolin Can't remember Nationals either. I seem to recall Deltas though. Possibly around 99/00? From that I can only recall SPDs, Solars, DAFs, until the Solars were put back on in 2009-ish(?)

This photo seems to disagree; (although it was taken in 2000)

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/8050359@N0...D_w_IS_all

Here it is, but with X20/X50 branding;

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/rpbsp/1367...D_w_IS_all

So yeah, I guess Scanias were the allocation Smile
R852 PRG
26 Jul 2014, 9:12 pm #12

(26 Jul 2014, 8:59 pm)aureolin Can't remember Nationals either. I seem to recall Deltas though. Possibly around 99/00? From that I can only recall SPDs, Solars, DAFs, until the Solars were put back on in 2009-ish(?)

This photo seems to disagree; (although it was taken in 2000)

26 Jul 2014, 9:14 pm #13
(26 Jul 2014, 9:07 pm)Andreos Constantopolous ANE were feeding their drivers raw meat! Big Grin

Was it Classic that cheekily put 'We're Not Part of the Northern Group', or something underneath their name?
R852 PRG
26 Jul 2014, 9:14 pm #13

(26 Jul 2014, 9:07 pm)Andreos Constantopolous ANE were feeding their drivers raw meat! Big Grin

Was it Classic that cheekily put 'We're Not Part of the Northern Group', or something underneath their name?

Adrian

26 Jul 2014, 9:14 pm #14

It was. There was hell on over it, with it being labelled as Stagecoach trying to drive independents out of town. I'll have to have a look over Newcastle Library, as there's bound to be some press cuttings.

As for Classic. I found this on YouTube. Classic, United and Northern all features, including the GNE X1 to the Boro, operated using a Leyland Tiger!

Adrian
26 Jul 2014, 9:14 pm #14

It was. There was hell on over it, with it being labelled as Stagecoach trying to drive independents out of town. I'll have to have a look over Newcastle Library, as there's bound to be some press cuttings.

As for Classic. I found this on YouTube. Classic, United and Northern all features, including the GNE X1 to the Boro, operated using a Leyland Tiger!

26 Jul 2014, 9:18 pm #15
(26 Jul 2014, 9:14 pm)aureolin It was. There was hell on over it, with it being labelled as Stagecoach trying to drive independents out of town. I'll have to have a look over Newcastle Library, as there's bound to be some press cuttings.

Great to see a video that shows cars going up Front Street!
R852 PRG
26 Jul 2014, 9:18 pm #15

(26 Jul 2014, 9:14 pm)aureolin It was. There was hell on over it, with it being labelled as Stagecoach trying to drive independents out of town. I'll have to have a look over Newcastle Library, as there's bound to be some press cuttings.

Great to see a video that shows cars going up Front Street!

Malarkey

26 Jul 2014, 9:24 pm #16

I can recall SPD's, Solars, DAF's, Presidents, Tridents and Renowns and being in use on 551/X50/50 over the Years.
Malarkey
26 Jul 2014, 9:24 pm #16

I can recall SPD's, Solars, DAF's, Presidents, Tridents and Renowns and being in use on 551/X50/50 over the Years.

MurdnunoC

26 Jul 2014, 10:44 pm #17

There is indeed some press cuttings and the independent's name was HMB.

http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...hp?tid=270
MurdnunoC
26 Jul 2014, 10:44 pm #17

There is indeed some press cuttings and the independent's name was HMB.

http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...hp?tid=270

27 Jul 2014, 12:51 am #18
Here is one that not many people will know of.

And I also manage the entire journey on my Network Teen Travelticket too since my starting point and alighting points were in Tyne and Wear.

Around 2000 / 2001, Compass Travel ran this service numbered the 318. It was a early morning only service and was a job link service. Anyway the route was as follows.

Newcastle Pilgrim Street - Gosforth - Dudley - Cramlington - Bedlington - Ashington - North Seaton - Spine Road - Cobalt - Willington Square - Howdon - Tyne Tunnel - A19 - Hastings Hill - The Broadway - Barnes Park Sunderland College Campus.

The vehicle was one of the 2 white Varios they had, either S20NET or S21NET.

It Departed Pilgrim Sreet around 7am and I alighted in The Broadway around about 9am. Oh and at any one point in the journey there was no more than 10 passengers.
Edited 27 Jul 2014, 12:55 am by Rapidsnap.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
27 Jul 2014, 12:51 am #18

Here is one that not many people will know of.

And I also manage the entire journey on my Network Teen Travelticket too since my starting point and alighting points were in Tyne and Wear.

Around 2000 / 2001, Compass Travel ran this service numbered the 318. It was a early morning only service and was a job link service. Anyway the route was as follows.

Newcastle Pilgrim Street - Gosforth - Dudley - Cramlington - Bedlington - Ashington - North Seaton - Spine Road - Cobalt - Willington Square - Howdon - Tyne Tunnel - A19 - Hastings Hill - The Broadway - Barnes Park Sunderland College Campus.

The vehicle was one of the 2 white Varios they had, either S20NET or S21NET.

It Departed Pilgrim Sreet around 7am and I alighted in The Broadway around about 9am. Oh and at any one point in the journey there was no more than 10 passengers.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

S813 FVK

27 Jul 2014, 9:24 am #19
(26 Jul 2014, 9:12 pm)Marcus This photo seems to disagree; (although it was taken in 2000)

The X20 and X50 were the reason Scanias 5229-5233 were purchased...
S813 FVK
27 Jul 2014, 9:24 am #19

(26 Jul 2014, 9:12 pm)Marcus This photo seems to disagree; (although it was taken in 2000)

The X20 and X50 were the reason Scanias 5229-5233 were purchased...

L469 YVK

27 Jul 2014, 9:39 am #20

It was a shame that GNE didn't stick with it and turn Northumberland into a full cost operating unit with Gemini's and Mercs. One thing that I noticed was that when GNE pulled out of Northumberland, Arriva all of a sudden upped their game providing a better service but when September 2012 came around, wham bang:

- Ashington services screwed up badly.
- X5 sent on massive detour.
- X21 refering to the first post was given a massive detour.
- X20 turned up on the never never with journeys continuing onto the 20 needing to be split.
- 518 short journeys cut.
- 43 was very unreliable.
L469 YVK
27 Jul 2014, 9:39 am #20

It was a shame that GNE didn't stick with it and turn Northumberland into a full cost operating unit with Gemini's and Mercs. One thing that I noticed was that when GNE pulled out of Northumberland, Arriva all of a sudden upped their game providing a better service but when September 2012 came around, wham bang:

- Ashington services screwed up badly.
- X5 sent on massive detour.
- X21 refering to the first post was given a massive detour.
- X20 turned up on the never never with journeys continuing onto the 20 needing to be split.
- 518 short journeys cut.
- 43 was very unreliable.

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average