Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat What's annoying you today? V2

What's annoying you today? V2

What's annoying you today? V2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (135) Previous 14 5 6135 Next
21 Aug 2014, 4:55 pm #81
(21 Aug 2014, 4:52 pm)Dan It's a blessing and a curse...

Great in the sense that it's very much like one big family, but not so good in the sense that everyone knows everyone else's business.

Well, I suppose every cloud also has a lighting bolt.....

Thing is in my year group, as we're split into 2 populations, and the 2 populations rarely interact, unless for an assembly. In terms of having about 100-120 people in your population, it does narrow things down in terms of getting to know people. If you have a passion for buses, and everybody knows about it, I think I can safely say everyone has 'heard' of Marcus Green. Tongue
R852 PRG
21 Aug 2014, 4:55 pm #81

(21 Aug 2014, 4:52 pm)Dan It's a blessing and a curse...

Great in the sense that it's very much like one big family, but not so good in the sense that everyone knows everyone else's business.

Well, I suppose every cloud also has a lighting bolt.....

Thing is in my year group, as we're split into 2 populations, and the 2 populations rarely interact, unless for an assembly. In terms of having about 100-120 people in your population, it does narrow things down in terms of getting to know people. If you have a passion for buses, and everybody knows about it, I think I can safely say everyone has 'heard' of Marcus Green. Tongue

Adrian

21 Aug 2014, 5:43 pm #82
St Roberts in Washington? Most from my school went there too afterwards.

GCSEs were pretty restricted when I was at school, but it opened up to do a load of vocational stuff a few years after I left. There were people who got to do construction trades, design, etc. We had to do core subjects, ICT, PE, Humanities, French, 1x Design & Tech subject, and two option blocks. Options were things like Business, Music, Art, extra PE, extra IT, and triple award science.

ICT was pretty poor when I was at school. In 1999/00, I ended up configuring most of their new network, as they had not a single member of staff with any knowledge whatsoever about NT4 or network configuration. Spent most of my "extra IT" in my last two years actually administering their network and performing maintenance, as I'd completed all the coursework by xmas in the first year of it. A student having domain admin access would be unheard of these days. Wink

Think I'd have liked being in a year group of Dan's size. Mine would have had circa 200 students, and it was a nightmare at times. Loads of bellends too that were more intent on disrupting everyone's education rather than learn for themselves. No wonder they're either on the brown or locked up these days.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
21 Aug 2014, 5:43 pm #82

St Roberts in Washington? Most from my school went there too afterwards.

GCSEs were pretty restricted when I was at school, but it opened up to do a load of vocational stuff a few years after I left. There were people who got to do construction trades, design, etc. We had to do core subjects, ICT, PE, Humanities, French, 1x Design & Tech subject, and two option blocks. Options were things like Business, Music, Art, extra PE, extra IT, and triple award science.

ICT was pretty poor when I was at school. In 1999/00, I ended up configuring most of their new network, as they had not a single member of staff with any knowledge whatsoever about NT4 or network configuration. Spent most of my "extra IT" in my last two years actually administering their network and performing maintenance, as I'd completed all the coursework by xmas in the first year of it. A student having domain admin access would be unheard of these days. Wink

Think I'd have liked being in a year group of Dan's size. Mine would have had circa 200 students, and it was a nightmare at times. Loads of bellends too that were more intent on disrupting everyone's education rather than learn for themselves. No wonder they're either on the brown or locked up these days.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Aug 2014, 6:29 pm #83
(21 Aug 2014, 5:43 pm)aureolin St Roberts in Washington? Most from my school went there too afterwards.

Aye.

At GCSE level, we can choose from the following courses: English (deemed the most suitable option for those who weren't as skilled at English); English Literature & English Language; Mathematics; Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Geography; History; Religious Studies; Media Studies; Latin; French; German; Home Economics; Design Technology; Art; Business Communication Systems (previously Business Studies & ICT - now merged - thankfully I managed to do them separately); Music, or P.E.

Each student gets two hours of their ten chosen subjects each week, with Maths and English both being allotted four hours, making up 24 hours of 'learning' each week.

We're supposed to have two periods of Games per week and one period of PSHE (making up another 3 hours). If you have a good enough reason, you can easily manage to get out of Games, and my reason happened to be that I was taking an extra GCSE (Dual Media) so wanted to use the time to do something worthwhile opposed to running about and wasting two hours of potential learning time. One of the P.E teachers was on Maternity Leave when this came about, and when she came back, she wasn't best pleased - but our parents had both said it was fine, the teacher was fine with it, and the two P.E teachers which remained were both fine with it. PSHE tends to be the lesson where you plan your Duke of Edinburgh expedition (providing you do it), and once you've done it, it tends to be just revision.

In my school, all pupils must take either English & English Literature or English Language; Maths; a Modern Foreign Language (French or German); and at least two Sciences, unless they have been advised that this is not appropriate (in which case, the pupil takes Additional Maths or Additional English).

At AS Level, you choose four subjects and have four hour-long periods of those subjects each week. At A2 (second year of Sixth Form), you drop one of those subjects in favour of additional 'frees'. The subjects available at AS and A2 include English; Latin; Mathematics; French; Biology; German; Chemistry; Media Studies; Physics; Sociology; Geography; Food & Nutrition; History; Design Technology; Religious Studies; Art; Information Technology; Business Studies; Music; and P.E.

In the Lower Sixth (Year 12), students have one period of Games per week (in reality, I don't think this happens), one period of Enrichment and one Tutorial period. In the Upper Sixth (Year 13), students have one Tutorial period per week. The Enrichment and Games period then become designated 'frees'.

I find in my school you tend to get a lot more responsibility and you develop bonds with (most of the) teachers. The students get to know the teachers well, and vice versa. I've mentioned before that I know exactly how to push my Maths teacher's buttons, and he's quite good at pushing mine too, but it all comes across as banter (something which I'm guessing doesn't really happen in most state schools). I've been put in charge of organising several school trips, and I'm still in the process of trying to organise a trip to Prague during December of this year (I'm just trying to get the flights down as cheap as possible - so far they're just over £100 each, down from £135 at the start of this month).

I'm looking forward to going back!
Dan
21 Aug 2014, 6:29 pm #83

(21 Aug 2014, 5:43 pm)aureolin St Roberts in Washington? Most from my school went there too afterwards.

Aye.

At GCSE level, we can choose from the following courses: English (deemed the most suitable option for those who weren't as skilled at English); English Literature & English Language; Mathematics; Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Geography; History; Religious Studies; Media Studies; Latin; French; German; Home Economics; Design Technology; Art; Business Communication Systems (previously Business Studies & ICT - now merged - thankfully I managed to do them separately); Music, or P.E.

Each student gets two hours of their ten chosen subjects each week, with Maths and English both being allotted four hours, making up 24 hours of 'learning' each week.

We're supposed to have two periods of Games per week and one period of PSHE (making up another 3 hours). If you have a good enough reason, you can easily manage to get out of Games, and my reason happened to be that I was taking an extra GCSE (Dual Media) so wanted to use the time to do something worthwhile opposed to running about and wasting two hours of potential learning time. One of the P.E teachers was on Maternity Leave when this came about, and when she came back, she wasn't best pleased - but our parents had both said it was fine, the teacher was fine with it, and the two P.E teachers which remained were both fine with it. PSHE tends to be the lesson where you plan your Duke of Edinburgh expedition (providing you do it), and once you've done it, it tends to be just revision.

In my school, all pupils must take either English & English Literature or English Language; Maths; a Modern Foreign Language (French or German); and at least two Sciences, unless they have been advised that this is not appropriate (in which case, the pupil takes Additional Maths or Additional English).

At AS Level, you choose four subjects and have four hour-long periods of those subjects each week. At A2 (second year of Sixth Form), you drop one of those subjects in favour of additional 'frees'. The subjects available at AS and A2 include English; Latin; Mathematics; French; Biology; German; Chemistry; Media Studies; Physics; Sociology; Geography; Food & Nutrition; History; Design Technology; Religious Studies; Art; Information Technology; Business Studies; Music; and P.E.

In the Lower Sixth (Year 12), students have one period of Games per week (in reality, I don't think this happens), one period of Enrichment and one Tutorial period. In the Upper Sixth (Year 13), students have one Tutorial period per week. The Enrichment and Games period then become designated 'frees'.

I find in my school you tend to get a lot more responsibility and you develop bonds with (most of the) teachers. The students get to know the teachers well, and vice versa. I've mentioned before that I know exactly how to push my Maths teacher's buttons, and he's quite good at pushing mine too, but it all comes across as banter (something which I'm guessing doesn't really happen in most state schools). I've been put in charge of organising several school trips, and I'm still in the process of trying to organise a trip to Prague during December of this year (I'm just trying to get the flights down as cheap as possible - so far they're just over £100 each, down from £135 at the start of this month).

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

21 Aug 2014, 7:17 pm #84
(21 Aug 2014, 12:12 pm)Michael Ugh i hate art, glad i didn't choose it

Same here, I went to the Chorister School in Durham as a kid, as it is a Prep School, most people there heads up each others arses, because I am common as shit and roug as a skunks ringpiece, I was a target for some teachers who probably thought I should not be there...One day in Art, we were asked to draw a dog, I couldn't do it, so just drew something that in no way actually resembled a dog...My teacher seen this and proceeded to take my paper off me and made me stand up at the front of the class and she humiliated me in front of 15 others by showing everybody my feeble artwork...So I hated art ever since...

Just in case anyone asks, yes, I went to a Prep School (Choristers)

1. No I was not in the choir, I was infact one the worst auditionees in the history of the school
2. I ended up back in mainstream education because I failed the Entrance Exam for Sunderland High School

So there you go, 2 questions I got cleared up before anyone asks as that is the things I get asked more than anything Big Grin
MrFozz
21 Aug 2014, 7:17 pm #84

(21 Aug 2014, 12:12 pm)Michael Ugh i hate art, glad i didn't choose it

Same here, I went to the Chorister School in Durham as a kid, as it is a Prep School, most people there heads up each others arses, because I am common as shit and roug as a skunks ringpiece, I was a target for some teachers who probably thought I should not be there...One day in Art, we were asked to draw a dog, I couldn't do it, so just drew something that in no way actually resembled a dog...My teacher seen this and proceeded to take my paper off me and made me stand up at the front of the class and she humiliated me in front of 15 others by showing everybody my feeble artwork...So I hated art ever since...

1. No I was not in the choir, I was infact one the worst auditionees in the history of the school
2. I ended up back in mainstream education because I failed the Entrance Exam for Sunderland High School

So there you go, 2 questions I got cleared up before anyone asks as that is the things I get asked more than anything Big Grin

Michael

21 Aug 2014, 7:21 pm #85
(21 Aug 2014, 7:17 pm)marxistafozzski Same here, I went to the Chorister School in Durham as a kid, as it is a Prep School, most people there heads up each others arses, because I am common as shit and roug as a skunks ringpiece, I was a target for some teachers who probably thought I should not be there...One day in Art, we were asked to draw a dog, I couldn't do it, so just drew something that in no way actually resembled a dog...My teacher seen this and proceeded to take my paper off me and made me stand up at the front of the class and she humiliated me in front of 15 others by showing everybody my feeble artwork...So I hated art ever since...

Don't start me on Sunderland high, snobby as out, iv'e heard them talk when iv'e being swimming with the class i worked in... basically it was everytime they came....

My daddy brought me in hes Ferrari or hes Bentley... and the teachers had no respect for us as we weren't a private school, so we all got black looks...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Aug 2014, 7:21 pm #85

(21 Aug 2014, 7:17 pm)marxistafozzski Same here, I went to the Chorister School in Durham as a kid, as it is a Prep School, most people there heads up each others arses, because I am common as shit and roug as a skunks ringpiece, I was a target for some teachers who probably thought I should not be there...One day in Art, we were asked to draw a dog, I couldn't do it, so just drew something that in no way actually resembled a dog...My teacher seen this and proceeded to take my paper off me and made me stand up at the front of the class and she humiliated me in front of 15 others by showing everybody my feeble artwork...So I hated art ever since...

Don't start me on Sunderland high, snobby as out, iv'e heard them talk when iv'e being swimming with the class i worked in... basically it was everytime they came....

My daddy brought me in hes Ferrari or hes Bentley... and the teachers had no respect for us as we weren't a private school, so we all got black looks...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

21 Aug 2014, 7:24 pm #86
(21 Aug 2014, 4:35 pm)Dan There's only 23 of us in my year group, and there's 10 staying (myself included), with two new arrivals.

Majority of those leaving have decided to go to St Roberts, on the basis that my school is 'shit' and doesn't offer as wide a range of subjects at A Level as St Roberts does.

Some of the ones who aren't as bright (ie the ones who only came to my school because their parents could afford to pay for them not to get bullied!) have gone to various colleges across the region to do BTECs.

23 in the year group, what school are you...In my final year in 1998, there was over 200 in my year and close to 1300 in the school..But at Choristers there was

23 in Form 3
11/12 over Forms 4, 5 and 6 with the year tutor groups split from Form 4 onwards
MrFozz
21 Aug 2014, 7:24 pm #86

(21 Aug 2014, 4:35 pm)Dan There's only 23 of us in my year group, and there's 10 staying (myself included), with two new arrivals.

Majority of those leaving have decided to go to St Roberts, on the basis that my school is 'shit' and doesn't offer as wide a range of subjects at A Level as St Roberts does.

Some of the ones who aren't as bright (ie the ones who only came to my school because their parents could afford to pay for them not to get bullied!) have gone to various colleges across the region to do BTECs.

23 in the year group, what school are you...In my final year in 1998, there was over 200 in my year and close to 1300 in the school..But at Choristers there was

23 in Form 3
11/12 over Forms 4, 5 and 6 with the year tutor groups split from Form 4 onwards

Michael

21 Aug 2014, 7:26 pm #87
Ere 23 in your year group Dan... wheres this at like?

There was at least 200 in every year at Sandhill view when i was there, it was like 20-30 a class!
Edited 21 Aug 2014, 7:27 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Aug 2014, 7:26 pm #87

Ere 23 in your year group Dan... wheres this at like?

There was at least 200 in every year at Sandhill view when i was there, it was like 20-30 a class!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Aug 2014, 7:35 pm #88
(21 Aug 2014, 7:21 pm)Michael Don't start me on Sunderland high, snobby as out, iv'e heard them talk when iv'e being swimming with the class i worked in... basically it was everytime they came....

Hahahah! I'll have to tell my mates to pipe down, eh? I'd have expected you all to know I go to SHS given my sightings of buses on Stockton Road, and the fact my Facebook says it for those of you who are friends with me on there!

In all honesty, I'm very lucky to be in the school. I'm paying just a fraction of what most people pay, and if it wasn't for my primary school teacher in Year 6 pushing it, I wouldn't have managed to get in. I come from what could loosely be described as an underprivileged one parent family background, and my lifestyle differs massively from my fellow classmates'.

There's a few people who are up their own arses, but I found that people pipe down a bit as you progress through the school. Genuine excuses for being late have included maids not turning up to sort uniform out in the past - though this was in Year 7. Most people - myself included - now just play on the stereotype (so chances are if you've heard older kids saying it, they've just been pissing around).

I know a number of the people in my year group refused up until this year to use the bus, and have always insisted on using the Metro if they've had to go anywhere besides a car or taxi. That is in part why nobody knows I take photos of buses, though it's fairly common knowledge that I should be able to answer any specific timetable query.
Dan
21 Aug 2014, 7:35 pm #88

(21 Aug 2014, 7:21 pm)Michael Don't start me on Sunderland high, snobby as out, iv'e heard them talk when iv'e being swimming with the class i worked in... basically it was everytime they came....

Hahahah! I'll have to tell my mates to pipe down, eh? I'd have expected you all to know I go to SHS given my sightings of buses on Stockton Road, and the fact my Facebook says it for those of you who are friends with me on there!

In all honesty, I'm very lucky to be in the school. I'm paying just a fraction of what most people pay, and if it wasn't for my primary school teacher in Year 6 pushing it, I wouldn't have managed to get in. I come from what could loosely be described as an underprivileged one parent family background, and my lifestyle differs massively from my fellow classmates'.

There's a few people who are up their own arses, but I found that people pipe down a bit as you progress through the school. Genuine excuses for being late have included maids not turning up to sort uniform out in the past - though this was in Year 7. Most people - myself included - now just play on the stereotype (so chances are if you've heard older kids saying it, they've just been pissing around).

I know a number of the people in my year group refused up until this year to use the bus, and have always insisted on using the Metro if they've had to go anywhere besides a car or taxi. That is in part why nobody knows I take photos of buses, though it's fairly common knowledge that I should be able to answer any specific timetable query.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

21 Aug 2014, 7:40 pm #89

Yea, proper snotty kernts they are, I never wanted to goto Choristers in the first place, while some of it was decent, I was like a duck out of water...One kid turned round to me one day and asked if my dad was picking me up in the bruised banana, the bruised banana being my old man's shitty old and rusty Vauxhall Cavalier, I spun round and kicked him and broke his hand

I was popular and quite well liked, there were a few whose life goal was to torment me and make sure I knew what they thought about me
MrFozz
21 Aug 2014, 7:40 pm #89

Yea, proper snotty kernts they are, I never wanted to goto Choristers in the first place, while some of it was decent, I was like a duck out of water...One kid turned round to me one day and asked if my dad was picking me up in the bruised banana, the bruised banana being my old man's shitty old and rusty Vauxhall Cavalier, I spun round and kicked him and broke his hand

I was popular and quite well liked, there were a few whose life goal was to torment me and make sure I knew what they thought about me

Michael

21 Aug 2014, 7:41 pm #90
(21 Aug 2014, 7:35 pm)Dan Hahahah! I'll have to tell my mates to pipe down, eh?

This was a while back, 5-6 year ago,maybe not sure!

Lucky to have maids... dont we wish we can all have them!, bet most of them dont even have lifes...because there mam and dad want them to do every club going.

Isnt the metro worse than the buses..
Edited 21 Aug 2014, 7:43 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Aug 2014, 7:41 pm #90

(21 Aug 2014, 7:35 pm)Dan Hahahah! I'll have to tell my mates to pipe down, eh?

This was a while back, 5-6 year ago,maybe not sure!

Lucky to have maids... dont we wish we can all have them!, bet most of them dont even have lifes...because there mam and dad want them to do every club going.

Isnt the metro worse than the buses..

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Aug 2014, 7:48 pm #91
(21 Aug 2014, 7:41 pm)Michael This was a while back, 5-6 year ago,maybe not sure!

The lad who used that one about the maid certainly doesn't have one these days. I wasn't his mate in Year 7 because I thought he sounded like a right twat. He's definitely piped down over the years and is alright now. His house is massive though (four or five levels?), and there's at least 8 spare bedrooms, all beautifully furnished.

Me coming from a state school in Plains Farm didn't do me any favours in fitting in when I first joined. Most people had entered the senior school from the junior school, so all knew each other, but I didn't fit in very well at all. I seemed to talk to the older year groups the most, as they had already started to realise that it's not all about whose dad has the most expensive car, etc etc...

I'm definitely seen as the most common out of the lot of 'em, but I'd argue it's made me seem the most down to earth and has gained me more friends in the long run (despite the many arguments I've had). All of the teachers really respect me, and I do seem to be the 'teachers pet' despite causing the most mischief at times.
I've said in the past how I can sit there and quote the school's policies when arguing with a teacher. It's great when you can prove them wrong and it eventually gets to the point where they can't argue back.
Everyone thinks it's bizarre how the teachers get on so well with me when I'm a little clever cunt with them the majority of the time! Tongue
Dan
21 Aug 2014, 7:48 pm #91

(21 Aug 2014, 7:41 pm)Michael This was a while back, 5-6 year ago,maybe not sure!

The lad who used that one about the maid certainly doesn't have one these days. I wasn't his mate in Year 7 because I thought he sounded like a right twat. He's definitely piped down over the years and is alright now. His house is massive though (four or five levels?), and there's at least 8 spare bedrooms, all beautifully furnished.

Me coming from a state school in Plains Farm didn't do me any favours in fitting in when I first joined. Most people had entered the senior school from the junior school, so all knew each other, but I didn't fit in very well at all. I seemed to talk to the older year groups the most, as they had already started to realise that it's not all about whose dad has the most expensive car, etc etc...

I'm definitely seen as the most common out of the lot of 'em, but I'd argue it's made me seem the most down to earth and has gained me more friends in the long run (despite the many arguments I've had). All of the teachers really respect me, and I do seem to be the 'teachers pet' despite causing the most mischief at times.
I've said in the past how I can sit there and quote the school's policies when arguing with a teacher. It's great when you can prove them wrong and it eventually gets to the point where they can't argue back.
Everyone thinks it's bizarre how the teachers get on so well with me when I'm a little clever cunt with them the majority of the time! Tongue

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

21 Aug 2014, 8:03 pm #92
(21 Aug 2014, 7:48 pm)Dan The lad who used that one about the maid certainly doesn't have one these days. I wasn't his mate in Year 7 because I thought he sounded like a right twat. He's definitely piped down over the years and is alright now. His house is massive though (four or five levels?), and there's at least 8 spare bedrooms, all beautifully furnished.

So you had to deal with similar things to me then, coming from deepest, Sunderland High is not exactly a place most people from deepest, darkest Plains Farm, or Murton in my case, would expect to goto, but hey, I heard the standard of education is really high there
MrFozz
21 Aug 2014, 8:03 pm #92

(21 Aug 2014, 7:48 pm)Dan The lad who used that one about the maid certainly doesn't have one these days. I wasn't his mate in Year 7 because I thought he sounded like a right twat. He's definitely piped down over the years and is alright now. His house is massive though (four or five levels?), and there's at least 8 spare bedrooms, all beautifully furnished.

So you had to deal with similar things to me then, coming from deepest, Sunderland High is not exactly a place most people from deepest, darkest Plains Farm, or Murton in my case, would expect to goto, but hey, I heard the standard of education is really high there

21 Aug 2014, 8:05 pm #93

I wish I had the ability to prove the teacher wrong. Thing is, in our school, it tends to turn into personal remarks.
R852 PRG
21 Aug 2014, 8:05 pm #93

I wish I had the ability to prove the teacher wrong. Thing is, in our school, it tends to turn into personal remarks.

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Aug 2014, 8:06 pm #94
(21 Aug 2014, 8:03 pm)marxistafozzski So you had to deal with similar things to me then, coming from deepest, Sunderland High is not exactly a place most people from deepest, darkest Plains Farm, or Murton in my case, would expect to goto, but hey, I heard the standard of education is really high there
Like I say, I really enjoy it these days. The teachers are nice and everyone knows everyone, so if you're like me, you can find yourself talking and having a laugh with someone in the year below or someone two years above.

I wouldn't suggest any bullying has ever occurred, but we aren't short of sly bitchy remarks. In the early years, I was certainly on the receiving end of a few, but people learned not to give it out if they couldn't take it too - as I used to bite back with worse!
Dan
21 Aug 2014, 8:06 pm #94

(21 Aug 2014, 8:03 pm)marxistafozzski So you had to deal with similar things to me then, coming from deepest, Sunderland High is not exactly a place most people from deepest, darkest Plains Farm, or Murton in my case, would expect to goto, but hey, I heard the standard of education is really high there
Like I say, I really enjoy it these days. The teachers are nice and everyone knows everyone, so if you're like me, you can find yourself talking and having a laugh with someone in the year below or someone two years above.

I wouldn't suggest any bullying has ever occurred, but we aren't short of sly bitchy remarks. In the early years, I was certainly on the receiving end of a few, but people learned not to give it out if they couldn't take it too - as I used to bite back with worse!

mb134

21 Aug 2014, 8:12 pm #95
(21 Aug 2014, 6:29 pm)Dan I find in my school you tend to get a lot more responsibility and you develop bonds with (most of the) teachers. The students get to know the teachers well, and vice versa. I've mentioned before that I know exactly how to push my Maths teacher's buttons, and he's quite good at pushing mine too, but it all comes across as banter (something which I'm guessing doesn't really happen in most state schools). I've been put in charge of organising several school trips, and I'm still in the process of trying to organise a trip to Prague during December of this year (I'm just trying to get the flights down as cheap as possible - so far they're just over £100 each, down from £135 at the start of this month).

I find it weird that me and most of my friendship group get along with teachers as you've described and can have conversations with some of them that other students wouldn't dare have in a million years. Whereas quite a few of the people in my year make it their mission to cause as much disruption as possible... I don't know whether it was our year group or the teachers that we've had but certainly in my time there it has felt much more friendly than first and middle school, which for some strange reason made me happy, not only for myself today, but for the teachers also as without them I know I wouldn't have had the motivation or belief to have got the grades I did.
Which I guess shows that no matter how much natural talent you have for something, as long as you have support and motivation you'll do well, regardless of how good your school is Smile
Edited 21 Aug 2014, 8:13 pm by mb134.
mb134
21 Aug 2014, 8:12 pm #95

(21 Aug 2014, 6:29 pm)Dan I find in my school you tend to get a lot more responsibility and you develop bonds with (most of the) teachers. The students get to know the teachers well, and vice versa. I've mentioned before that I know exactly how to push my Maths teacher's buttons, and he's quite good at pushing mine too, but it all comes across as banter (something which I'm guessing doesn't really happen in most state schools). I've been put in charge of organising several school trips, and I'm still in the process of trying to organise a trip to Prague during December of this year (I'm just trying to get the flights down as cheap as possible - so far they're just over £100 each, down from £135 at the start of this month).

I find it weird that me and most of my friendship group get along with teachers as you've described and can have conversations with some of them that other students wouldn't dare have in a million years. Whereas quite a few of the people in my year make it their mission to cause as much disruption as possible... I don't know whether it was our year group or the teachers that we've had but certainly in my time there it has felt much more friendly than first and middle school, which for some strange reason made me happy, not only for myself today, but for the teachers also as without them I know I wouldn't have had the motivation or belief to have got the grades I did.
Which I guess shows that no matter how much natural talent you have for something, as long as you have support and motivation you'll do well, regardless of how good your school is Smile

Tom

21 Aug 2014, 8:14 pm #96
(21 Aug 2014, 8:12 pm)mb134 I find it weird that me and most of my friendship group get along with teachers as you've described and can have conversations with some of them that other students wouldn't dare have in a million years. Whereas quite a few of the people in my year make it their mission to cause as much disruption as possible... I don't know whether it was our year group or the teachers that we've had but certainly in my time there it has felt much more friendly than first and middle school, which for some strange reason made me happy, not only for myself today, but for the teachers also as without them I know I wouldn't have had the motivation or belief to have got the grades I did.

I wouldn't dare back chat a teacher - they all hate me as it is anyway!
Tom
21 Aug 2014, 8:14 pm #96

(21 Aug 2014, 8:12 pm)mb134 I find it weird that me and most of my friendship group get along with teachers as you've described and can have conversations with some of them that other students wouldn't dare have in a million years. Whereas quite a few of the people in my year make it their mission to cause as much disruption as possible... I don't know whether it was our year group or the teachers that we've had but certainly in my time there it has felt much more friendly than first and middle school, which for some strange reason made me happy, not only for myself today, but for the teachers also as without them I know I wouldn't have had the motivation or belief to have got the grades I did.

I wouldn't dare back chat a teacher - they all hate me as it is anyway!

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

21 Aug 2014, 8:20 pm #97
(21 Aug 2014, 8:06 pm)Dan Like I say, I really enjoy it these days. The teachers are nice and everyone knows everyone, so if you're like me, you can find yourself talking and having a laugh with someone in the year below or someone two years above.

Fair play mate, that was like the atmosphere at Choristers, I got on with 90% of the kids, but only liked 4 teachers...

How did you end up there, are u on a scholarship there as I noticed you said you pay less than some for it, I mean it is not usually an opportunity kids from council estates or working classes gets handed to them.

This has give me an idea for another thread
MrFozz
21 Aug 2014, 8:20 pm #97

(21 Aug 2014, 8:06 pm)Dan Like I say, I really enjoy it these days. The teachers are nice and everyone knows everyone, so if you're like me, you can find yourself talking and having a laugh with someone in the year below or someone two years above.

Fair play mate, that was like the atmosphere at Choristers, I got on with 90% of the kids, but only liked 4 teachers...

How did you end up there, are u on a scholarship there as I noticed you said you pay less than some for it, I mean it is not usually an opportunity kids from council estates or working classes gets handed to them.

mb134

21 Aug 2014, 8:21 pm #98
(21 Aug 2014, 8:14 pm)Tom I wouldn't dare back chat a teacher - they all hate me as it is anyway!
I think,over time, you learn what you can and cant get away with. At the start of year 11 French I had to change class and therefore had a new teacher, by the end of the year the banter in that class was unreal Wink
Edited 21 Aug 2014, 8:23 pm by mb134.
mb134
21 Aug 2014, 8:21 pm #98

(21 Aug 2014, 8:14 pm)Tom I wouldn't dare back chat a teacher - they all hate me as it is anyway!
I think,over time, you learn what you can and cant get away with. At the start of year 11 French I had to change class and therefore had a new teacher, by the end of the year the banter in that class was unreal Wink

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Aug 2014, 8:35 pm #99
(21 Aug 2014, 8:20 pm)marxistafozzski Fair play mate, that was like the atmosphere at Choristers, I got on with 90% of the kids, but only liked 4 teachers...

A scholarship and a bursary. Can't remember how much I've got to pay, but it's a hell of a lot less than everyone else! You're told from the start that it doesn't have to be a secret that you've got a scholarship and bursary, but I know I've not discussed it with anyone in my school. It was always something I thought I'd be judged for at the start and it just seems pointless telling people now.
Dan
21 Aug 2014, 8:35 pm #99

(21 Aug 2014, 8:20 pm)marxistafozzski Fair play mate, that was like the atmosphere at Choristers, I got on with 90% of the kids, but only liked 4 teachers...

A scholarship and a bursary. Can't remember how much I've got to pay, but it's a hell of a lot less than everyone else! You're told from the start that it doesn't have to be a secret that you've got a scholarship and bursary, but I know I've not discussed it with anyone in my school. It was always something I thought I'd be judged for at the start and it just seems pointless telling people now.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

21 Aug 2014, 8:51 pm #100
(21 Aug 2014, 8:35 pm)Dan A scholarship and a bursary. Can't remember how much I've got to pay, but it's a hell of a lot less than everyone else! You're told from the start that it doesn't have to be a secret that you've got a scholarship and bursary, but I know I've not discussed it with anyone in my school. It was always something I thought I'd be judged for at the start and it just seems pointless telling people now.

That's cool, you must have a good brain mate...One thing I do know, the education will be the best you could probably get
MrFozz
21 Aug 2014, 8:51 pm #100

(21 Aug 2014, 8:35 pm)Dan A scholarship and a bursary. Can't remember how much I've got to pay, but it's a hell of a lot less than everyone else! You're told from the start that it doesn't have to be a secret that you've got a scholarship and bursary, but I know I've not discussed it with anyone in my school. It was always something I thought I'd be judged for at the start and it just seems pointless telling people now.

That's cool, you must have a good brain mate...One thing I do know, the education will be the best you could probably get

Pages (135) Previous 14 5 6135 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average