Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat What's annoying you today? V2

What's annoying you today? V2

What's annoying you today? V2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (135) Previous 141 42 43135 Next
Adrian

09 Nov 2014, 10:53 pm #821
(09 Nov 2014, 10:49 pm)Dan My Monday dread is primarily linked to the fact I have a tutorial period for Media Studies at 0915 in which I have to show the teacher all of the coursework that I've done (or tell her what I haven't done), and this lesson is followed by English at 1035.

Honestly can't be dealing with my head getting chewed off for only reading 200 of the 600 pages of my book. What's more, I've understood none of the recent chapters at all, and the narrator told readers in one of those chapters that they have to understand that part to be able to appreciate the rest of the story. Joy.
Ouch. I've barely the attention span to read 6 pages, unless it really interests me.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
09 Nov 2014, 10:53 pm #821

(09 Nov 2014, 10:49 pm)Dan My Monday dread is primarily linked to the fact I have a tutorial period for Media Studies at 0915 in which I have to show the teacher all of the coursework that I've done (or tell her what I haven't done), and this lesson is followed by English at 1035.

Honestly can't be dealing with my head getting chewed off for only reading 200 of the 600 pages of my book. What's more, I've understood none of the recent chapters at all, and the narrator told readers in one of those chapters that they have to understand that part to be able to appreciate the rest of the story. Joy.
Ouch. I've barely the attention span to read 6 pages, unless it really interests me.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

09 Nov 2014, 10:55 pm #822

What I would do, is just say you spoke to other English teachers, and that it is your honest opinion that the absence of the Head of Department is having an effect on the standard of learning, and thus your English teacher pushing the kids extra hard to fill in the hole left by her is having a negative effect on the kids. Or something along those lines. Tongue

I mean, I remember in Year 8 when we opened the refurbished library, and I was talking to a couple of staff within the English Department, as they had all showed up.

I was standing talking to Mrs Gibson (the Gibzatron) and Mrs Crampton (the Cramptonater), and we discussed how hard it was when a class was shared, as teachers sharing books and covering different topics at a fast pace wasn't the right thing for the students.
R852 PRG
09 Nov 2014, 10:55 pm #822

What I would do, is just say you spoke to other English teachers, and that it is your honest opinion that the absence of the Head of Department is having an effect on the standard of learning, and thus your English teacher pushing the kids extra hard to fill in the hole left by her is having a negative effect on the kids. Or something along those lines. Tongue

I mean, I remember in Year 8 when we opened the refurbished library, and I was talking to a couple of staff within the English Department, as they had all showed up.

I was standing talking to Mrs Gibson (the Gibzatron) and Mrs Crampton (the Cramptonater), and we discussed how hard it was when a class was shared, as teachers sharing books and covering different topics at a fast pace wasn't the right thing for the students.

Jimmi

09 Nov 2014, 10:57 pm #823
5am is harsh Sad 6am for me, but I only have a short 20 mins bus journey into Durham.
When I was at college I used to have to get up at 6:15 and leave the house at 7:20 ish to get the bus at 7:37 and had to sit on the 7 for an hour with people who were surprising awake and loud for that time especially on a Monday morning... Just how, some mornings I actually fell asleep on the bus and if I didn't on the morning I would on the bus home, especially when we had to stay until we were supposed to leave at 5pm it killed me.
Jimmi
09 Nov 2014, 10:57 pm #823

5am is harsh Sad 6am for me, but I only have a short 20 mins bus journey into Durham.
When I was at college I used to have to get up at 6:15 and leave the house at 7:20 ish to get the bus at 7:37 and had to sit on the 7 for an hour with people who were surprising awake and loud for that time especially on a Monday morning... Just how, some mornings I actually fell asleep on the bus and if I didn't on the morning I would on the bus home, especially when we had to stay until we were supposed to leave at 5pm it killed me.

Adam

09 Nov 2014, 10:58 pm #824
(09 Nov 2014, 10:46 pm)Marcus Out of interest, mainly a question for those at Uni, how do you support yourselves? Do you work on weekends, or do you just do mornings or afternoons, or do you save up in advance by working during holidays?

I'm mainly the same as Michael. I rely on Student Finance to fund nights out and other general stuff. I am looking for a part time job though.
Adam
09 Nov 2014, 10:58 pm #824

(09 Nov 2014, 10:46 pm)Marcus Out of interest, mainly a question for those at Uni, how do you support yourselves? Do you work on weekends, or do you just do mornings or afternoons, or do you save up in advance by working during holidays?

I'm mainly the same as Michael. I rely on Student Finance to fund nights out and other general stuff. I am looking for a part time job though.

MurdnunoC

09 Nov 2014, 10:59 pm #825

I initially had two jobs while studying for my undergraduate degree at Uni. It eventually became too much and I had to give one job up about half-way through my second year. However, I managed to save most of my grant and student loan so I had something to fall back on.

If you're going to work whilst studying, my advice would be to go all out during your first year. In my subject (History and Politics), results from the first year did not count towards your final, third-year mark although this may differ depending on which course or university you attend. Obviously, I still had to pass the first year in order to progress onto the second so it's vital to complete assignments and exams. 
MurdnunoC
09 Nov 2014, 10:59 pm #825

I initially had two jobs while studying for my undergraduate degree at Uni. It eventually became too much and I had to give one job up about half-way through my second year. However, I managed to save most of my grant and student loan so I had something to fall back on.

If you're going to work whilst studying, my advice would be to go all out during your first year. In my subject (History and Politics), results from the first year did not count towards your final, third-year mark although this may differ depending on which course or university you attend. Obviously, I still had to pass the first year in order to progress onto the second so it's vital to complete assignments and exams. 

Michael

09 Nov 2014, 11:05 pm #826
(09 Nov 2014, 10:59 pm)AdamY I initially had two jobs while studying for my undergraduate degree at Uni. It eventually became too much and I had to give one job up about half-way through my second year. However, I managed to save most of my grant and student loan so I had something to fall back on.

Mines the same but don't have to do any exams at end of it... thank god!

I wouldn't mind a part time job but atm i have 7 assignments due in by middle of December...soo don't have time. (5 essays and 2 presentations).... Sad

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
09 Nov 2014, 11:05 pm #826

(09 Nov 2014, 10:59 pm)AdamY I initially had two jobs while studying for my undergraduate degree at Uni. It eventually became too much and I had to give one job up about half-way through my second year. However, I managed to save most of my grant and student loan so I had something to fall back on.

Mines the same but don't have to do any exams at end of it... thank god!

I wouldn't mind a part time job but atm i have 7 assignments due in by middle of December...soo don't have time. (5 essays and 2 presentations).... Sad

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

09 Nov 2014, 11:07 pm #827
(09 Nov 2014, 10:53 pm)aureolin Ouch. I've barely the attention span to read 6 pages, unless it really interests me.
I'm exactly the same.

I received a negative report from the English teacher for not reading enough in general, but I think that reading (as a traditional form of media/entertainment) isn't all too common these days and has been replaced by newer forms of media such as TV.

I'm good at writing and that's one of the main reasons I decided to take English at A-Level (the other being that I knew the Biology teacher was retiring and I wasn't taking the risk with the other Biology teacher - I hated her as a teacher in Year 9). I made it clear to the Head of English that I wanted one teacher and one teacher only: her. I ended up with my current English teacher for one hour a week for anthology work (which wasn't too bad in all honesty) with the Head of English for three. Obviously this has all changed now and I've got the teacher who I've not liked since Year 7 full time.

Just a shame that this has all ruined a subject for me and I've already made my decision about dropping it next year.

(09 Nov 2014, 10:55 pm)Marcus What I would do, is just say you spoke to other English teachers, and that it is your honest opinion that the absence of the Head of Department is having an effect on the standard of learning, and thus your English teacher pushing the kids extra hard to fill in the hole left by her is having a negative effect on the kids. Or something along those lines. Tongue

If I say that, she'll just think I've been sly... Although I discuss teachers I dislike with teachers that I trust all of the time, I really don't think the teachers would appreciate it if they knew. If you were in the workplace, would you appreciate it if your colleagues had all heard that a client had said you'd been doing your job badly?

My 'mentor' is one of the teachers I've been complaining too and she should be looking to sort out any issues I have, but I think because I've moaned about teachers to her for so many years now, she's treating it as a general moaning session rather than me wanting someone to tell the English teacher she needs to pipe down with the strict deadlines and realise that not everyone is as capable as her when it comes to reading. My ICT teacher has told me to take it straight to the Head, but I haven't got the balls to do that because it'd make my future lessons with the teacher awkward.

Reckon I'm gonna have to have a bit of an argument tomorrow. Best prepare myself with a good 8 hours' sleep.
Dan
09 Nov 2014, 11:07 pm #827

(09 Nov 2014, 10:53 pm)aureolin Ouch. I've barely the attention span to read 6 pages, unless it really interests me.
I'm exactly the same.

I received a negative report from the English teacher for not reading enough in general, but I think that reading (as a traditional form of media/entertainment) isn't all too common these days and has been replaced by newer forms of media such as TV.

I'm good at writing and that's one of the main reasons I decided to take English at A-Level (the other being that I knew the Biology teacher was retiring and I wasn't taking the risk with the other Biology teacher - I hated her as a teacher in Year 9). I made it clear to the Head of English that I wanted one teacher and one teacher only: her. I ended up with my current English teacher for one hour a week for anthology work (which wasn't too bad in all honesty) with the Head of English for three. Obviously this has all changed now and I've got the teacher who I've not liked since Year 7 full time.

Just a shame that this has all ruined a subject for me and I've already made my decision about dropping it next year.

(09 Nov 2014, 10:55 pm)Marcus What I would do, is just say you spoke to other English teachers, and that it is your honest opinion that the absence of the Head of Department is having an effect on the standard of learning, and thus your English teacher pushing the kids extra hard to fill in the hole left by her is having a negative effect on the kids. Or something along those lines. Tongue

If I say that, she'll just think I've been sly... Although I discuss teachers I dislike with teachers that I trust all of the time, I really don't think the teachers would appreciate it if they knew. If you were in the workplace, would you appreciate it if your colleagues had all heard that a client had said you'd been doing your job badly?

My 'mentor' is one of the teachers I've been complaining too and she should be looking to sort out any issues I have, but I think because I've moaned about teachers to her for so many years now, she's treating it as a general moaning session rather than me wanting someone to tell the English teacher she needs to pipe down with the strict deadlines and realise that not everyone is as capable as her when it comes to reading. My ICT teacher has told me to take it straight to the Head, but I haven't got the balls to do that because it'd make my future lessons with the teacher awkward.

Reckon I'm gonna have to have a bit of an argument tomorrow. Best prepare myself with a good 8 hours' sleep.

09 Nov 2014, 11:27 pm #828
(09 Nov 2014, 11:07 pm)Dan I'm exactly the same.

With my Head of Year, he always 'invites' people to talk to him, should they have any problems, and thus the matter will be resolved.

However, when you get into that conversation, the whole thing rips apart and, this applies for pretty much all of the HoYs, they pick out the person with the most reputation, and stick it on them.

For example, if I had said something to one of the (ahem) 'naughty' girls, and she had said something back, she would be instantly sent to SSC (Student Support Centre), because she has built up a reputation for herself.

Don't know how this relates to your predicament, Dan, but I'm just trying to keep the conversation moving! Tongue
R852 PRG
09 Nov 2014, 11:27 pm #828

(09 Nov 2014, 11:07 pm)Dan I'm exactly the same.

With my Head of Year, he always 'invites' people to talk to him, should they have any problems, and thus the matter will be resolved.

However, when you get into that conversation, the whole thing rips apart and, this applies for pretty much all of the HoYs, they pick out the person with the most reputation, and stick it on them.

For example, if I had said something to one of the (ahem) 'naughty' girls, and she had said something back, she would be instantly sent to SSC (Student Support Centre), because she has built up a reputation for herself.

Don't know how this relates to your predicament, Dan, but I'm just trying to keep the conversation moving! Tongue

Michael

10 Nov 2014, 7:33 am #829
Slept in......... even though i cba to go to uni this morning....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
10 Nov 2014, 7:33 am #829

Slept in......... even though i cba to go to uni this morning....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

10 Nov 2014, 7:34 am #830
Just to chip in to the funding/working, whilst at uni thing.

I gave up with undertaking formal qualifications after my A Levels.
Did a few work related quals and worked to gain promotion/additional responsibilities at work.
By the age of 28, I was managing contracts and staff - but that meant, the need to undertake a degree relevant to my role.

Working full time and undertaking two degrees on a part time basis isn't easy (even though one was something I volunteered to do). Trust me.
Loans, grants (one of the lucky ones) and a full time wage, may have looked good on a bank balance sheet - but it was hard work!
Edited 10 Nov 2014, 7:36 am by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
10 Nov 2014, 7:34 am #830

Just to chip in to the funding/working, whilst at uni thing.

I gave up with undertaking formal qualifications after my A Levels.
Did a few work related quals and worked to gain promotion/additional responsibilities at work.
By the age of 28, I was managing contracts and staff - but that meant, the need to undertake a degree relevant to my role.

Working full time and undertaking two degrees on a part time basis isn't easy (even though one was something I volunteered to do). Trust me.
Loans, grants (one of the lucky ones) and a full time wage, may have looked good on a bank balance sheet - but it was hard work!

Michael

10 Nov 2014, 8:23 am #831
Oap's moaning about the school kids not putting their hand out for the bus.... i mean come on...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
10 Nov 2014, 8:23 am #831

Oap's moaning about the school kids not putting their hand out for the bus.... i mean come on...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

10 Nov 2014, 8:25 am #832
(10 Nov 2014, 8:23 am)Michael Oap's moaning about the school kids not putting their hand out for the bus.... i mean come on...
When there's 20 kids at a bus stop, the bus driver is probably going to stop (or at the very least slow down) anyway... Nee time for pensioners moaning!
Dan
10 Nov 2014, 8:25 am #832

(10 Nov 2014, 8:23 am)Michael Oap's moaning about the school kids not putting their hand out for the bus.... i mean come on...
When there's 20 kids at a bus stop, the bus driver is probably going to stop (or at the very least slow down) anyway... Nee time for pensioners moaning!

Michael

10 Nov 2014, 8:32 am #833
(10 Nov 2014, 8:25 am)Dan When there's 20 kids at a bus stop, the bus driver is probably going to stop (or at the very least slow down) anyway... Nee time for pensioners moaning!

He was, the fog is quite bad to so that doesn't help... now they're moaning about it stopping at every stop...

Update.... they complained to the dude in the gals and they said he should be sacked... 
Edited 10 Nov 2014, 8:39 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
10 Nov 2014, 8:32 am #833

(10 Nov 2014, 8:25 am)Dan When there's 20 kids at a bus stop, the bus driver is probably going to stop (or at the very least slow down) anyway... Nee time for pensioners moaning!

He was, the fog is quite bad to so that doesn't help... now they're moaning about it stopping at every stop...

Update.... they complained to the dude in the gals and they said he should be sacked... 

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

10 Nov 2014, 4:38 pm #834
(10 Nov 2014, 4:11 pm)Marcus Well, I've got a Holocaust Survivor coming in tomorrow. While I am excited to hear their story, I'm not as excited now....

I've explained to my mam and grandma along at my grandma's house that we were getting taught by a Holocaust survivor tomorrow for Go-Ahead. Both being shining people, they asked what the Holocaust was....I mean, come on!.....

Basically, let's just say I mentioned Jew & gas in the same sentence, and they took it the wrong way, as if I were associating the two without thinking. Now my mam is furious with me, and thinks I'm a racist.

I'm convinced they knew what the Holocaust was (with my grandma surviving the war....), but just wanted to test me to see how I would call it by.....Sad

One can never say sorry enough! - the only problem I have with my mam is she just digs her teeth into it and never lets me forgot it....Sad

Mods - if inappropriate please remove.

Anyway, moving on, did you speak to your English teacher today, Dan? Smile

Sounds interesting mate, I myself love to hear a holocaust survivor, such a heartbreaking story and a story of immense bravery...

As for being racist because you mentioned the words 'Jews' and 'Gas' in the same sentence does not make you racist, your telling the truth of what actually happened...Now if you were Holocaust denier then that is about as antisemitic and racist as you could get...

Let me know how it goes with the holocaust survivor mate Big Grin
MrFozz
10 Nov 2014, 4:38 pm #834

(10 Nov 2014, 4:11 pm)Marcus Well, I've got a Holocaust Survivor coming in tomorrow. While I am excited to hear their story, I'm not as excited now....

I've explained to my mam and grandma along at my grandma's house that we were getting taught by a Holocaust survivor tomorrow for Go-Ahead. Both being shining people, they asked what the Holocaust was....I mean, come on!.....

Basically, let's just say I mentioned Jew & gas in the same sentence, and they took it the wrong way, as if I were associating the two without thinking. Now my mam is furious with me, and thinks I'm a racist.

I'm convinced they knew what the Holocaust was (with my grandma surviving the war....), but just wanted to test me to see how I would call it by.....Sad

One can never say sorry enough! - the only problem I have with my mam is she just digs her teeth into it and never lets me forgot it....Sad

Mods - if inappropriate please remove.

Anyway, moving on, did you speak to your English teacher today, Dan? Smile

Sounds interesting mate, I myself love to hear a holocaust survivor, such a heartbreaking story and a story of immense bravery...

As for being racist because you mentioned the words 'Jews' and 'Gas' in the same sentence does not make you racist, your telling the truth of what actually happened...Now if you were Holocaust denier then that is about as antisemitic and racist as you could get...

10 Nov 2014, 4:42 pm #835
(10 Nov 2014, 4:38 pm)marxistafozzski Sounds interesting mate, I myself love to hear a holocaust survivor, such a heartbreaking story and a story of immense bravery...

Our History teacher put The Pianist on, for about forty minutes one lesson. It was really sad, there were a few people who had to leave the room when it got to the ghetto scene, and there was an old tramp stealing an old woman's soup, and spilled it all over the floor only to eat it there.

Didn't get as far as any scenes in any concentration camps; thankfully.

In fact, I think every single tutor in Year 9 is getting one for the day. I know our's is coming all the way from Cambridge! There must be a number of survivors living in our country, when you think about it.
R852 PRG
10 Nov 2014, 4:42 pm #835

(10 Nov 2014, 4:38 pm)marxistafozzski Sounds interesting mate, I myself love to hear a holocaust survivor, such a heartbreaking story and a story of immense bravery...

Our History teacher put The Pianist on, for about forty minutes one lesson. It was really sad, there were a few people who had to leave the room when it got to the ghetto scene, and there was an old tramp stealing an old woman's soup, and spilled it all over the floor only to eat it there.

In fact, I think every single tutor in Year 9 is getting one for the day. I know our's is coming all the way from Cambridge! There must be a number of survivors living in our country, when you think about it.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

10 Nov 2014, 4:46 pm #836
(10 Nov 2014, 4:42 pm)Marcus Our History teacher put The Pianist on, for about forty minutes one lesson. It was really sad, there were a few people who had to leave the room when it got to the ghetto scene, and there was an old tramp stealing an old woman's soup, and spilled it all over the floor only to eat it there.

I think a lot of survivors ended up in Israel after the War, bit the Jews are all over, places like the United States have massive jewish populations and I believe the North East had the biggest Jewish communities outside of Israel
MrFozz
10 Nov 2014, 4:46 pm #836

(10 Nov 2014, 4:42 pm)Marcus Our History teacher put The Pianist on, for about forty minutes one lesson. It was really sad, there were a few people who had to leave the room when it got to the ghetto scene, and there was an old tramp stealing an old woman's soup, and spilled it all over the floor only to eat it there.

I think a lot of survivors ended up in Israel after the War, bit the Jews are all over, places like the United States have massive jewish populations and I believe the North East had the biggest Jewish communities outside of Israel

10 Nov 2014, 4:48 pm #837
(10 Nov 2014, 4:46 pm)marxistafozzski I think a lot of survivors ended up in Israel after the War, bit the Jews are all over, places like the United States have massive jewish populations and I believe the North East had the biggest Jewish communities outside of Israel

Apparently 25% of Gateshead is made up of a Jewish community!
R852 PRG
10 Nov 2014, 4:48 pm #837

(10 Nov 2014, 4:46 pm)marxistafozzski I think a lot of survivors ended up in Israel after the War, bit the Jews are all over, places like the United States have massive jewish populations and I believe the North East had the biggest Jewish communities outside of Israel

Apparently 25% of Gateshead is made up of a Jewish community!

mb134

10 Nov 2014, 4:52 pm #838
Got to miss cadets tonight for the fourth night running. Mainly due to my school being tight and not buying another history textbook as they are changing the spec next year, meaning I have to complete my notes and questions by tomorrow morning so that I can give the book to another person Sad
mb134
10 Nov 2014, 4:52 pm #838

Got to miss cadets tonight for the fourth night running. Mainly due to my school being tight and not buying another history textbook as they are changing the spec next year, meaning I have to complete my notes and questions by tomorrow morning so that I can give the book to another person Sad

Andreos1

10 Nov 2014, 5:16 pm #839
I met a guy once in a professional capacity. He had a Slovak/Eastern European name and was born in Germany in 1941.

As much as I wanted to find out what the background was (you can only guess), I didn't ask.

On a similar note, heard a guy on Radio Newcastle a short while back on the news, telling the story from the weekend about 1D fans and their online posts querying the little red flowers the group were wearing on their chests over the weekend.

Absolutely disgusted.

@MB134
Which form of the cadets are you in?
Edited 10 Nov 2014, 5:17 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
10 Nov 2014, 5:16 pm #839

I met a guy once in a professional capacity. He had a Slovak/Eastern European name and was born in Germany in 1941.

As much as I wanted to find out what the background was (you can only guess), I didn't ask.

On a similar note, heard a guy on Radio Newcastle a short while back on the news, telling the story from the weekend about 1D fans and their online posts querying the little red flowers the group were wearing on their chests over the weekend.

Absolutely disgusted.

@MB134

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

10 Nov 2014, 5:48 pm #840
(10 Nov 2014, 5:16 pm)Andreos1 I met a guy once in a professional capacity. He had a Slovak/Eastern European name and was born in Germany in 1941.

Absolutely disgusted.

@MB134

Typical of some youth today, makes me wonder what is being taught in some schools...

But at least they were asking about poppies
MrFozz
10 Nov 2014, 5:48 pm #840

(10 Nov 2014, 5:16 pm)Andreos1 I met a guy once in a professional capacity. He had a Slovak/Eastern European name and was born in Germany in 1941.

Absolutely disgusted.

@MB134

Typical of some youth today, makes me wonder what is being taught in some schools...

But at least they were asking about poppies

Pages (135) Previous 141 42 43135 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average