Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Places for Spotting

Places for Spotting

Places for Spotting

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4
Andreos1

09 Jan 2017, 9:17 pm #61
(09 Jan 2017, 8:33 pm)Jimmi Does anyone know what Glasgow is like for spotting? Thinking of heading there in March, taking advantage of the Virgin Trains East Coast seat sale.

Just as Adrian said. It's a little bit more open down where the Clutha was behind St Enoch's. There's only one VTEC per day in and out of Glasgow Central if you're going direct though.
Edited 09 Jan 2017, 9:18 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
09 Jan 2017, 9:17 pm #61

(09 Jan 2017, 8:33 pm)Jimmi Does anyone know what Glasgow is like for spotting? Thinking of heading there in March, taking advantage of the Virgin Trains East Coast seat sale.

Just as Adrian said. It's a little bit more open down where the Clutha was behind St Enoch's. There's only one VTEC per day in and out of Glasgow Central if you're going direct though.

Jimmi

09 Jan 2017, 9:36 pm #62
(09 Jan 2017, 8:40 pm)Adrian Glasgow is pretty easy for photos, but can be awkward for shade in the Winter/early Spring months. Plenty of stuff in and out of Buchanan Bus Station, which is right behind Queen St station. Glasgow Plusbus will get you everywhere you need to be, and is valid across McGills, First and Stagecoach.

Folk are fine with spotters up there too, but I'd stick to the City Centre if I were you. I wouldn't go too far out by yourself on your first trip, as there's some pretty rough areas further afield!

(09 Jan 2017, 9:17 pm)Andreos1 Just as Adrian said. It's a little bit more open down where the Clutha was behind St Enoch's. There's only one VTEC per day in and out of Glasgow Central if you're going direct though.

I've just booked the trains, going on Saturday 4th March. I picked Glasgow as I could only do a long decent day out in the north as I didn't want to spend 1 hour, 20 minutes on a bus replacement service between York and Darlington in the evening on that date. Changing trains at Edinburgh, Haymarket on the morning but booking details just says Edinburgh on the return (plus additional change at Newcastle on the journey home) Departing/boarding at Queen Street Station. Will be in Glasgow between 11:37 and 18:45.

Just need to decide what to do whilst I'm over there now.
Jimmi
09 Jan 2017, 9:36 pm #62

(09 Jan 2017, 8:40 pm)Adrian Glasgow is pretty easy for photos, but can be awkward for shade in the Winter/early Spring months. Plenty of stuff in and out of Buchanan Bus Station, which is right behind Queen St station. Glasgow Plusbus will get you everywhere you need to be, and is valid across McGills, First and Stagecoach.

Folk are fine with spotters up there too, but I'd stick to the City Centre if I were you. I wouldn't go too far out by yourself on your first trip, as there's some pretty rough areas further afield!

(09 Jan 2017, 9:17 pm)Andreos1 Just as Adrian said. It's a little bit more open down where the Clutha was behind St Enoch's. There's only one VTEC per day in and out of Glasgow Central if you're going direct though.

I've just booked the trains, going on Saturday 4th March. I picked Glasgow as I could only do a long decent day out in the north as I didn't want to spend 1 hour, 20 minutes on a bus replacement service between York and Darlington in the evening on that date. Changing trains at Edinburgh, Haymarket on the morning but booking details just says Edinburgh on the return (plus additional change at Newcastle on the journey home) Departing/boarding at Queen Street Station. Will be in Glasgow between 11:37 and 18:45.

Adrian

09 Jan 2017, 9:46 pm #63
(09 Jan 2017, 9:36 pm)Jimmi I've just booked the trains, going on Saturday 4th March. I picked Glasgow as I could only do a long decent day out in the north as I didn't want to spend 1 hour, 20 minutes on a bus replacement service between York and Darlington in the evening on that date. Changing trains at Edinburgh, Haymarket on the morning but booking details just says Edinburgh on the return (plus additional change at Newcastle on the journey home) Departing/boarding at Queen Street Station. Will be in Glasgow between 11:37 and 18:45.

What connection is that at Edinburgh? Last southbound train serving Darlington is 1900 departure from Edinburgh.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
09 Jan 2017, 9:46 pm #63

(09 Jan 2017, 9:36 pm)Jimmi I've just booked the trains, going on Saturday 4th March. I picked Glasgow as I could only do a long decent day out in the north as I didn't want to spend 1 hour, 20 minutes on a bus replacement service between York and Darlington in the evening on that date. Changing trains at Edinburgh, Haymarket on the morning but booking details just says Edinburgh on the return (plus additional change at Newcastle on the journey home) Departing/boarding at Queen Street Station. Will be in Glasgow between 11:37 and 18:45.

What connection is that at Edinburgh? Last southbound train serving Darlington is 1900 departure from Edinburgh.

09 Jan 2017, 10:18 pm #64
I survived photoing in some of the rougher parts of Glasgow, but then again, I'm just crazy.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
09 Jan 2017, 10:18 pm #64

I survived photoing in some of the rougher parts of Glasgow, but then again, I'm just crazy.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

Jimmi

09 Jan 2017, 10:27 pm #65
(09 Jan 2017, 9:46 pm)Adrian What connection is that at Edinburgh? Last southbound train serving Darlington is 1900 departure from Edinburgh.
Journey home is the following:

18:45 ScotRail: Glasgow Queen St. - Edinburgh Waverley (Arrive 19:40).
20:00 VTEC - Newcastle (Arrive 21:43)
21:55 TransPennine - Darlington (Arrive 22:27).
Jimmi
09 Jan 2017, 10:27 pm #65

(09 Jan 2017, 9:46 pm)Adrian What connection is that at Edinburgh? Last southbound train serving Darlington is 1900 departure from Edinburgh.
Journey home is the following:

18:45 ScotRail: Glasgow Queen St. - Edinburgh Waverley (Arrive 19:40).
20:00 VTEC - Newcastle (Arrive 21:43)
21:55 TransPennine - Darlington (Arrive 22:27).

09 Jan 2017, 10:32 pm #66
(09 Jan 2017, 8:40 pm)Adrian Folk are fine with spotters up there too, but I'd stick to the City Centre if I were you. I wouldn't go too far out by yourself on your first trip, as there's some pretty rough areas further afield!

Parts of the city centre are rough as a badger's backside too!!

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
09 Jan 2017, 10:32 pm #66

(09 Jan 2017, 8:40 pm)Adrian Folk are fine with spotters up there too, but I'd stick to the City Centre if I were you. I wouldn't go too far out by yourself on your first trip, as there's some pretty rough areas further afield!

Parts of the city centre are rough as a badger's backside too!!

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

10 Jan 2017, 3:05 am #67
Govan and Partick Interchanges have a number of buses serving them and are reachable by the Subway. Govan is the rougher of the two however.

Additionally do not where clothing which is mainly green or blue. Just in case you are wearing the wrong colour in the wrong part of the City. South West is Rangers, North East is Celtic, other areas are a bit more unclear.
Edited 10 Jan 2017, 3:07 am by Rapidsnap.

Rapidsnap
10 Jan 2017, 3:05 am #67

Govan and Partick Interchanges have a number of buses serving them and are reachable by the Subway. Govan is the rougher of the two however.

Additionally do not where clothing which is mainly green or blue. Just in case you are wearing the wrong colour in the wrong part of the City. South West is Rangers, North East is Celtic, other areas are a bit more unclear.

Andreos1

10 Jan 2017, 8:26 am #68
(10 Jan 2017, 3:05 am)GMitchelhill Govan and Partick Interchanges have a number of buses serving them and are reachable by the Subway. Govan is the rougher of the two however.

They're playing not long after Jimmi's trip.

Andreos1
10 Jan 2017, 8:26 am #68

(10 Jan 2017, 3:05 am)GMitchelhill Govan and Partick Interchanges have a number of buses serving them and are reachable by the Subway. Govan is the rougher of the two however.

They're playing not long after Jimmi's trip.

Jimmi

10 Jan 2017, 9:32 am #69
(10 Jan 2017, 8:26 am)Andreos1 They're playing not long after Jimmi's trip.
Forgot to check the football fixtures for that date, just pleased that I didn't pick the week after as that would have been a terrible situation for me to be in.

I'll dress accordingly for that trip to avoid any potential issues.
Jimmi
10 Jan 2017, 9:32 am #69

(10 Jan 2017, 8:26 am)Andreos1 They're playing not long after Jimmi's trip.
Forgot to check the football fixtures for that date, just pleased that I didn't pick the week after as that would have been a terrible situation for me to be in.

Andreos1

10 Jan 2017, 10:19 am #70
(10 Jan 2017, 9:32 am)Jimmi Forgot to check the football fixtures for that date, just pleased that I didn't pick the week after as that would have been a terrible situation for me to be in.

If you (or anyone else) ends up that way with time to spare, there's always lots of stuff flying around Greenock. Further west at Gourock, you have the Clyde as a backdrop for some interesting shots - particularly around the Western Ferries terminal.
There's West Coast Motors stuff that crosses the water on the ferry and McGills routes that skirt around the coast.
They're not far from Glasgow on the train either if you don't fancy doing it on the bus.

The train station/pedestrian ferry interchange at Gourock may provide interesting shots too.
Edited 10 Jan 2017, 10:20 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
10 Jan 2017, 10:19 am #70

(10 Jan 2017, 9:32 am)Jimmi Forgot to check the football fixtures for that date, just pleased that I didn't pick the week after as that would have been a terrible situation for me to be in.

If you (or anyone else) ends up that way with time to spare, there's always lots of stuff flying around Greenock. Further west at Gourock, you have the Clyde as a backdrop for some interesting shots - particularly around the Western Ferries terminal.
There's West Coast Motors stuff that crosses the water on the ferry and McGills routes that skirt around the coast.
They're not far from Glasgow on the train either if you don't fancy doing it on the bus.

The train station/pedestrian ferry interchange at Gourock may provide interesting shots too.

Adrian

10 Jan 2017, 9:05 pm #71

Avoid green and blue!

Adrian
10 Jan 2017, 9:05 pm #71

Avoid green and blue!

Jimmi

30 Jan 2017, 8:08 pm #72
Anyone know of anything to do in Cambridge and/or anywhere else nearby as I've got train tickets to go there on Saturday but the original intention for going has gone out of the window. May welcome some non bus related suggestions as well.
Jimmi
30 Jan 2017, 8:08 pm #72

Anyone know of anything to do in Cambridge and/or anywhere else nearby as I've got train tickets to go there on Saturday but the original intention for going has gone out of the window. May welcome some non bus related suggestions as well.

30 Jan 2017, 8:24 pm #73
(30 Jan 2017, 8:08 pm)Jimmi Anyone know of anything to do in Cambridge and/or anywhere else nearby as I've got train tickets to go there on Saturday but the original intention for going has gone out of the window. May welcome some non bus related suggestions as well.

I recommend trying out the guided busway.

Also I will gurantee you will want to punch every cyclist with in 10 minutes as they speed in front of you as you try and take a photo.

Rapidsnap
30 Jan 2017, 8:24 pm #73

(30 Jan 2017, 8:08 pm)Jimmi Anyone know of anything to do in Cambridge and/or anywhere else nearby as I've got train tickets to go there on Saturday but the original intention for going has gone out of the window. May welcome some non bus related suggestions as well.

I recommend trying out the guided busway.

Also I will gurantee you will want to punch every cyclist with in 10 minutes as they speed in front of you as you try and take a photo.

Jimmi

30 Jan 2017, 9:47 pm #74
(30 Jan 2017, 8:24 pm)Rapidsnap I recommend trying out the guided busway.

Me and people on bikes don't go well.

I ain't going to rant too much about it but I now think negatively everytime I see someone on a bike due to the way some have reacted to me, one woman very angrily tutted at me, I was only walking along a footpath to catch a bus and she wasn't even moving at that point, so I don't know what her problem with me was?!

It seems that the busway seems to be something to check out, will look into things at some point later in the week as I've been busy tonight and will be tomorrow as well.
Jimmi
30 Jan 2017, 9:47 pm #74

(30 Jan 2017, 8:24 pm)Rapidsnap I recommend trying out the guided busway.

Me and people on bikes don't go well.

I ain't going to rant too much about it but I now think negatively everytime I see someone on a bike due to the way some have reacted to me, one woman very angrily tutted at me, I was only walking along a footpath to catch a bus and she wasn't even moving at that point, so I don't know what her problem with me was?!

It seems that the busway seems to be something to check out, will look into things at some point later in the week as I've been busy tonight and will be tomorrow as well.

BusLoverMum

30 Jan 2017, 10:26 pm #75
Nowt more wilting than angry tutting Wink
BusLoverMum
30 Jan 2017, 10:26 pm #75

Nowt more wilting than angry tutting Wink

30 Jan 2017, 11:29 pm #76
(30 Jan 2017, 10:26 pm)BusLoverMum Nowt more wilting than angry tutting Wink

Just hope he doesn't have a gas cooker.

Rapidsnap
30 Jan 2017, 11:29 pm #76

(30 Jan 2017, 10:26 pm)BusLoverMum Nowt more wilting than angry tutting Wink

Just hope he doesn't have a gas cooker.

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average