Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2013

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (23) Previous 1 2 323 Next
NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

02 Mar 2013, 7:24 pm #21
(02 Mar 2013, 7:15 pm)Daniel That was me taking the photo, Brandon! ;-)
Had some nasty swing on it too, as it sped around the roundabout having arrived approximately 15 minutes late...

Regarding the changes - yes, I saw that poster on the Renown I was on en-route to Newcastle this morning, when I also took a picture of the leaflet. I wanted to get a photo of that too, but the X3 very surprisingly filled up and even had a few standees!

Ah right! I didn't think for one minute it would be you Big Grin Didn't really get a proper look anyway because we were approaching at speed! I was on the top deck just behind the stairs. I ended up hurrying around to see if a TEN B9 was in but I needn't have bothered because I ended up waiting 20 minutes anyway Wink

I'm glad the X3 is included in the consultation. I thought I did see the X3 number on the poster but I wasn't 100% sure because it was a lot to take in.
NEB Admin Team
02 Mar 2013, 7:24 pm #21

Had some nasty swing on it too, as it sped around the roundabout having arrived approximately 15 minutes late...

Regarding the changes - yes, I saw that poster on the Renown I was on en-route to Newcastle this morning, when I also took a picture of the leaflet. I wanted to get a photo of that too, but the X3 very surprisingly filled up and even had a few standees!

Ah right! I didn't think for one minute it would be you Big Grin Didn't really get a proper look anyway because we were approaching at speed! I was on the top deck just behind the stairs. I ended up hurrying around to see if a TEN B9 was in but I needn't have bothered because I ended up waiting 20 minutes anyway Wink

I'm glad the X3 is included in the consultation. I thought I did see the X3 number on the poster but I wasn't 100% sure because it was a lot to take in.

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Mar 2013, 7:28 pm #22
(02 Mar 2013, 7:24 pm)Brandon

Didn't see any other enthusiasts there at the same time as me so must have been me, haha.
Dan
02 Mar 2013, 7:28 pm #22

(02 Mar 2013, 7:24 pm)Brandon

Didn't see any other enthusiasts there at the same time as me so must have been me, haha.

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Mar 2013, 9:08 pm #23
Today's DD will most likely have to come tomorrow morning - don't think I'm gonna finish my photos tonight so I'm gonna wait.

Nobody else has uploaded all of the materials I require, so I can't just substitute my own images for others', otherwise I would.
Dan
02 Mar 2013, 9:08 pm #23

Today's DD will most likely have to come tomorrow morning - don't think I'm gonna finish my photos tonight so I'm gonna wait.

Nobody else has uploaded all of the materials I require, so I can't just substitute my own images for others', otherwise I would.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Mar 2013, 12:35 pm #24
(03 Mar 2013, 10:56 am)Rob Online consultations really do not work. They are often completed by individuals whom not only do not live near the area of change, but those who do not actually use the particular routes subject to change. Why should those not using the services get details regarding the changes? They shouldn’t. Recent consultations having invoked: distributing leaflets to those living in affected areas, adverts on concerned routes explaining the distribution of leaflets to local households and businesses, staff of routes explaining changes and noting customer feedback. Directly reducing ‘rouge’ customer feedback otherwise associated with online consultations. Such consultation arrangements have been employed throughout consultation regarding changes to routes 10/10A, 11, 27, 49/49A/49B/49C and 69/69A. Results (available on the website) prove that respondent reaction was far less negative.

If you use affected services and have not received a consultation email customer services and they will be able to provide a copy of the consultation. Alternatively, consultations are being stocked in some local amenities including libraries and post offices.

You must also consider that people who do not live in the directly affected areas do use the services too. I understand why Go North East have decided to change their method of distributing customer consultations, but there are downsides to it too.
I for one, do not live in any of the directly affected areas of the services that are proposed to change, but I do use most if not all of the services on a regular basis. I'm not receiving the chance to fill out one of these forms because of that very reason.

While I'm not debating the truth of the claim as I do believe it happens, I've not once seen a member of staff out asking questions on the services that could be affected following customer consultations. Perhaps I don't use the services enough to see someone, and the likelihood of me seeing someone is reduced because of that, but I haven't seen it happen.

Admittedly, you have shown us two workarounds for this, but I don't often visit the library, and I'd like to say I'm positive that the majority of people these days don't either (hence the downfall of libraries etc). If I read the text on the poster correctly, it said that you could pick up a copy of the consultation on board the vehicle in which I was travelling... This, however, was not so.

I will e-mail customer services in hope of getting a copy of the consultation though. I'll also pass on the suggestion to them that they should be distributing the leaflets on board vehicles too, if they already do not.
Dan
03 Mar 2013, 12:35 pm #24

(03 Mar 2013, 10:56 am)Rob Online consultations really do not work. They are often completed by individuals whom not only do not live near the area of change, but those who do not actually use the particular routes subject to change. Why should those not using the services get details regarding the changes? They shouldn’t. Recent consultations having invoked: distributing leaflets to those living in affected areas, adverts on concerned routes explaining the distribution of leaflets to local households and businesses, staff of routes explaining changes and noting customer feedback. Directly reducing ‘rouge’ customer feedback otherwise associated with online consultations. Such consultation arrangements have been employed throughout consultation regarding changes to routes 10/10A, 11, 27, 49/49A/49B/49C and 69/69A. Results (available on the website) prove that respondent reaction was far less negative.

If you use affected services and have not received a consultation email customer services and they will be able to provide a copy of the consultation. Alternatively, consultations are being stocked in some local amenities including libraries and post offices.

You must also consider that people who do not live in the directly affected areas do use the services too. I understand why Go North East have decided to change their method of distributing customer consultations, but there are downsides to it too.
I for one, do not live in any of the directly affected areas of the services that are proposed to change, but I do use most if not all of the services on a regular basis. I'm not receiving the chance to fill out one of these forms because of that very reason.

While I'm not debating the truth of the claim as I do believe it happens, I've not once seen a member of staff out asking questions on the services that could be affected following customer consultations. Perhaps I don't use the services enough to see someone, and the likelihood of me seeing someone is reduced because of that, but I haven't seen it happen.

Admittedly, you have shown us two workarounds for this, but I don't often visit the library, and I'd like to say I'm positive that the majority of people these days don't either (hence the downfall of libraries etc). If I read the text on the poster correctly, it said that you could pick up a copy of the consultation on board the vehicle in which I was travelling... This, however, was not so.

I will e-mail customer services in hope of getting a copy of the consultation though. I'll also pass on the suggestion to them that they should be distributing the leaflets on board vehicles too, if they already do not.

03 Mar 2013, 1:40 pm #25
4944 is now at Chester le Street, its not known yet whether its a permenant move or not
03 Mar 2013, 1:40 pm #25

4944 is now at Chester le Street, its not known yet whether its a permenant move or not

Kuyoyo

03 Mar 2013, 1:47 pm #26
(03 Mar 2013, 1:40 pm)dans_bus_photos 4944 is now at Chester le Street, its not known yet whether its a permenant move or not

Permenant move - replacing 4895.
Kuyoyo
03 Mar 2013, 1:47 pm #26

(03 Mar 2013, 1:40 pm)dans_bus_photos 4944 is now at Chester le Street, its not known yet whether its a permenant move or not

Michael

03 Mar 2013, 1:52 pm #27
Wooo, there's 1 DAF down.. many more to go.

I seen the new TEN decker's yesterday when i was at the Metrocentre, they look great.

What other changes has happened so far?

How many of the ex TEN Citaros are at Gateshead now and how many of the ex Crusader buses have left Gateshead?
Edited 03 Mar 2013, 2:06 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
03 Mar 2013, 1:52 pm #27

Wooo, there's 1 DAF down.. many more to go.

I seen the new TEN decker's yesterday when i was at the Metrocentre, they look great.

What other changes has happened so far?

How many of the ex TEN Citaros are at Gateshead now and how many of the ex Crusader buses have left Gateshead?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

03 Mar 2013, 2:19 pm #28

Cheers! Smile I forgot I saw this vehicle yesterday, seen turning into Eldon Square on the 28.

I agree online consultations can get out of hand. Consultations need to be worded very carefully or people just get the wrong end of the stick and rumour mill goes into overdrive. It seems to be the case that when services are proposed to be withdrawn, word spreads around very quickly, and people become oblivious to the positives that can come from revised/new services.

When GNE were doing their Boldon consultation for changes in July 2011, it was proposed to extend the 26 from Heworth to Gateshead and Newcastle, or have the service to Newcastle running through East Boldon instead. This implied that if the East Boldon route was chosen instead of through Castletown, then the route through Castletown would be lost, but this was never to be the case. It still ended up kicking up a raucous though with local residents in Castletown who were fearing the worst -

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/community/..._1_3296943

About the public libraries, I believe Sunderland City Library on Fawcett Street stocks some bus timetable leaflets on one of the upper floors by the escalators, but it's been years since I've been there. The Post Office would also be a good bet too.

It's ironic that we're moving away from online consultations to more conventional leaflet-based consultations. I never really liked the idea of someone filling out an online form for services they never use and putting strong disagree to everything just for kicks. For someone who genuinely uses a route but doesn't actually live on the route, they should be able to pick up a leaflet on the bus or request one from Customer Services.

I do like the idea of having Go North East representatives talking to passengers on buses to clear up any concerns or answer questions. But when you consider how many buses are running per hour, the chances of covering even a small percent of journeys are very slim, hence why a lot of bus users complain they've never seen anyone on their buses. I think the better option would be to station someone at key boarding points like at bus stations/interchanges. You can see in this photo a representative handing out new timetable leaflets for changes in July 2011 which saw the withdrawal of the Black Cats services. I'm sure something similar could be done with consultations too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bazza90/5966832063/ (Bazza Houston)
NEB Admin Team
03 Mar 2013, 2:19 pm #28

Cheers! Smile I forgot I saw this vehicle yesterday, seen turning into Eldon Square on the 28.

I agree online consultations can get out of hand. Consultations need to be worded very carefully or people just get the wrong end of the stick and rumour mill goes into overdrive. It seems to be the case that when services are proposed to be withdrawn, word spreads around very quickly, and people become oblivious to the positives that can come from revised/new services.

When GNE were doing their Boldon consultation for changes in July 2011, it was proposed to extend the 26 from Heworth to Gateshead and Newcastle, or have the service to Newcastle running through East Boldon instead. This implied that if the East Boldon route was chosen instead of through Castletown, then the route through Castletown would be lost, but this was never to be the case. It still ended up kicking up a raucous though with local residents in Castletown who were fearing the worst -

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/community/..._1_3296943

About the public libraries, I believe Sunderland City Library on Fawcett Street stocks some bus timetable leaflets on one of the upper floors by the escalators, but it's been years since I've been there. The Post Office would also be a good bet too.

It's ironic that we're moving away from online consultations to more conventional leaflet-based consultations. I never really liked the idea of someone filling out an online form for services they never use and putting strong disagree to everything just for kicks. For someone who genuinely uses a route but doesn't actually live on the route, they should be able to pick up a leaflet on the bus or request one from Customer Services.

I do like the idea of having Go North East representatives talking to passengers on buses to clear up any concerns or answer questions. But when you consider how many buses are running per hour, the chances of covering even a small percent of journeys are very slim, hence why a lot of bus users complain they've never seen anyone on their buses. I think the better option would be to station someone at key boarding points like at bus stations/interchanges. You can see in this photo a representative handing out new timetable leaflets for changes in July 2011 which saw the withdrawal of the Black Cats services. I'm sure something similar could be done with consultations too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bazza90/5966832063/ (Bazza Houston)

Michael

03 Mar 2013, 2:53 pm #29
Im looking forward to seen what the changes are.

Wonder if the 26 would work being spilt, 1 per hour to Heworth and 1 per hour to Jarrow. The Heworth link was good, Southwick,Castletown etc this when it was changed to serve Jarrow.

Wonder what is planned for the 99.

If the X3 and 9 is included, wonder what changes they are planning, same as the 36.
Edited 03 Mar 2013, 2:54 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
03 Mar 2013, 2:53 pm #29

Im looking forward to seen what the changes are.

Wonder if the 26 would work being spilt, 1 per hour to Heworth and 1 per hour to Jarrow. The Heworth link was good, Southwick,Castletown etc this when it was changed to serve Jarrow.

Wonder what is planned for the 99.

If the X3 and 9 is included, wonder what changes they are planning, same as the 36.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Mar 2013, 3:12 pm #30
(03 Mar 2013, 2:53 pm)Michael If the X3 and 9 is included, wonder what changes they are planning, same as the 36.

They are included.

One of many things that I believe is coming up is the removal of the X3 > 26 connection. That, or they're going to try and improve it so it actually works.
Dan
03 Mar 2013, 3:12 pm #30

(03 Mar 2013, 2:53 pm)Michael If the X3 and 9 is included, wonder what changes they are planning, same as the 36.

They are included.

One of many things that I believe is coming up is the removal of the X3 > 26 connection. That, or they're going to try and improve it so it actually works.

Michael

03 Mar 2013, 3:27 pm #31
The connection time's are stupid anyway, it should be at least 5 mins.

What changes do u think is coming up for the services?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
03 Mar 2013, 3:27 pm #31

The connection time's are stupid anyway, it should be at least 5 mins.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Mar 2013, 3:31 pm #32
(03 Mar 2013, 3:27 pm)Michael The connection time's are stupid anyway, it should be at least 5 mins.

I really wouldn't like to say because there are just so many things that could happen...
Dan
03 Mar 2013, 3:31 pm #32

(03 Mar 2013, 3:27 pm)Michael The connection time's are stupid anyway, it should be at least 5 mins.

I really wouldn't like to say because there are just so many things that could happen...

tom.robinson206

Unregistered

03 Mar 2013, 3:41 pm #33
(03 Mar 2013, 3:12 pm)Daniel One of many things that I believe is coming up is the removal of the X3 > 26 connection. That, or they're going to try and improve it so it actually works.

If there's the possibly of removing the X3 > 26 connection, they may be re-routing the 26 back to Heworth.

One thing that does irritate me about the current 26A layout is that it runs limited-stop between Heworth and Boldon Asda - and the 558 doesn't run on Sundays or during the evenings, meaning a couple of the stops on the Felling By-pass and in Wardley are missed out. Surely at the times the 26A runs, (mainly evenings and all day Sunday), it won't make that much of a difference to timings and would be more convenient. The 'Black Cats' 26 could do it?
tom.robinson206
03 Mar 2013, 3:41 pm #33

(03 Mar 2013, 3:12 pm)Daniel One of many things that I believe is coming up is the removal of the X3 > 26 connection. That, or they're going to try and improve it so it actually works.

If there's the possibly of removing the X3 > 26 connection, they may be re-routing the 26 back to Heworth.

One thing that does irritate me about the current 26A layout is that it runs limited-stop between Heworth and Boldon Asda - and the 558 doesn't run on Sundays or during the evenings, meaning a couple of the stops on the Felling By-pass and in Wardley are missed out. Surely at the times the 26A runs, (mainly evenings and all day Sunday), it won't make that much of a difference to timings and would be more convenient. The 'Black Cats' 26 could do it?

Michael

03 Mar 2013, 3:46 pm #34
Im hoping the connection to Heworth is re-instated, it was working before they removed it and moved it to Jarrow.

Tom, the 26 hasn't being branded for black cats for ages, Wish it was though but on bigger buses and not yellow.
Edited 03 Mar 2013, 3:46 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
03 Mar 2013, 3:46 pm #34

Im hoping the connection to Heworth is re-instated, it was working before they removed it and moved it to Jarrow.

Tom, the 26 hasn't being branded for black cats for ages, Wish it was though but on bigger buses and not yellow.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

tom.robinson206

Unregistered

03 Mar 2013, 4:32 pm #35
(03 Mar 2013, 3:46 pm)Michael Tom, the 26 hasn't being branded for black cats for ages, Wish it was though but on bigger buses and not yellow.

I know that. But when it used to be the 'Black Cats', (which I think is exactly the same route as the current 26A), it served all stops between Heworth and Boldon Asda. I don't see why the 26A can't do the same.

5357 is back, currently at Brunswick Park Industrial Estate
Photo by emdjt42: http://www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/852...otostream/
tom.robinson206
03 Mar 2013, 4:32 pm #35

(03 Mar 2013, 3:46 pm)Michael Tom, the 26 hasn't being branded for black cats for ages, Wish it was though but on bigger buses and not yellow.

I know that. But when it used to be the 'Black Cats', (which I think is exactly the same route as the current 26A), it served all stops between Heworth and Boldon Asda. I don't see why the 26A can't do the same.

5357 is back, currently at Brunswick Park Industrial Estate
Photo by emdjt42: http://www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/852...otostream/

gtom

Banned

03 Mar 2013, 4:47 pm #36
(03 Mar 2013, 1:47 pm)Kuyoyo

Fare thee well awful DAF. 14 years of service and I doubt you had a good day on any of them Big Grin

Re- consultations.

If I'm GNE, I want to avoid asking local people (esp concessionary passengers) I want the minimum amount of fuss to push through my commercially viable proposals
Edited 03 Mar 2013, 4:48 pm by gtom.
gtom
03 Mar 2013, 4:47 pm #36

(03 Mar 2013, 1:47 pm)Kuyoyo

Fare thee well awful DAF. 14 years of service and I doubt you had a good day on any of them Big Grin

Re- consultations.

If I'm GNE, I want to avoid asking local people (esp concessionary passengers) I want the minimum amount of fuss to push through my commercially viable proposals

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

03 Mar 2013, 4:49 pm #37
According to Traveline, the X7 will be leaving from Stand C at Park Lane and Stand A at Peterlee. Coming from Middlesbrough, it will also call at Stand A at Peterlee too. As for the 38/238, the 38 is supposed to be leaving from Stand E and 238 from Stand G. I find this hard to believe because I would have expected 38/238 to leave from the same stand since they combine to form a 20 minute service as far as Hollycarrside.

Take this information with a pinch of salt though until officially confirmed, because I have experienced dodgy information from Traveline in the past.

Regarding the X3/26 connection, I've only ever used one particular journey half a dozen times or so - the 16:35 X3 from Newcastle which arrives at Boldon at 1704 and this gives a good timing space for the 26 at 1711. For this particular journey, it's only ever been me who alights the X3 and waits for the 26. I don't think I'd risk trying one of the daytime connections where only a two minute connection is given.

Maybe the idea of the limited-stop 26A is to try and emulate the attractiveness of the X3 during times when the service doesn't operate. Because the timings should allow for all stops between Boldon ASDA and Heworth to be served. I'm not a fan of the secured 26A journeys on a morning - I can't believe they start at Hylton Riverside Retail Park - who's going to be catching the bus there that early in the morning? I'd much prefer a start at Southwick instead.

Whatever changes may happen, I would think that some sort of interworking with Scholar routes will remain in place in some form or another. I think there's a number of Scholar routes around Boldon, Fulwell and Seaburn - and it makes economical sense to have buses drop out and run these rather than sending other buses out from the depot.
NEB Admin Team
03 Mar 2013, 4:49 pm #37

According to Traveline, the X7 will be leaving from Stand C at Park Lane and Stand A at Peterlee. Coming from Middlesbrough, it will also call at Stand A at Peterlee too. As for the 38/238, the 38 is supposed to be leaving from Stand E and 238 from Stand G. I find this hard to believe because I would have expected 38/238 to leave from the same stand since they combine to form a 20 minute service as far as Hollycarrside.

Take this information with a pinch of salt though until officially confirmed, because I have experienced dodgy information from Traveline in the past.

Regarding the X3/26 connection, I've only ever used one particular journey half a dozen times or so - the 16:35 X3 from Newcastle which arrives at Boldon at 1704 and this gives a good timing space for the 26 at 1711. For this particular journey, it's only ever been me who alights the X3 and waits for the 26. I don't think I'd risk trying one of the daytime connections where only a two minute connection is given.

Maybe the idea of the limited-stop 26A is to try and emulate the attractiveness of the X3 during times when the service doesn't operate. Because the timings should allow for all stops between Boldon ASDA and Heworth to be served. I'm not a fan of the secured 26A journeys on a morning - I can't believe they start at Hylton Riverside Retail Park - who's going to be catching the bus there that early in the morning? I'd much prefer a start at Southwick instead.

Whatever changes may happen, I would think that some sort of interworking with Scholar routes will remain in place in some form or another. I think there's a number of Scholar routes around Boldon, Fulwell and Seaburn - and it makes economical sense to have buses drop out and run these rather than sending other buses out from the depot.

Malarkey

03 Mar 2013, 5:39 pm #38
Adam's GNE Update

This very small update as I only popped down the Galleries for a few bits and bobs.

Now regarding Certain services having an extra 5p added to there standard single pricing of £1.40, the Washington Street Shuttle is included as I seen the advert on the back of the drivers cab the M2A to the Galleries this Afternoon. This to go into effect on Wednesday 6th March, bit of an odd day to change the fares as normally it's a Sunday.

Also once again there was a Silver Arrows Citaro making it's weekly Sunday working on the X88 and 5322 which i got back home on the 2C still has problem with it's wheelchair ramp which is still jamming when going back in.

and a note regarding the driver, The driver had a copy of Milo&Boon which is a very Naughty book, worse than 50 shades according to my brother who pointed it out to me as we were getting off the bus. bare in my mind the woman driver looked as though she was in her late 50's early 60's.

I should be out at somepoint this week, most likely Wednesday when I shall give another Update.
Malarkey
03 Mar 2013, 5:39 pm #38

Adam's GNE Update

This very small update as I only popped down the Galleries for a few bits and bobs.

Now regarding Certain services having an extra 5p added to there standard single pricing of £1.40, the Washington Street Shuttle is included as I seen the advert on the back of the drivers cab the M2A to the Galleries this Afternoon. This to go into effect on Wednesday 6th March, bit of an odd day to change the fares as normally it's a Sunday.

Also once again there was a Silver Arrows Citaro making it's weekly Sunday working on the X88 and 5322 which i got back home on the 2C still has problem with it's wheelchair ramp which is still jamming when going back in.

and a note regarding the driver, The driver had a copy of Milo&Boon which is a very Naughty book, worse than 50 shades according to my brother who pointed it out to me as we were getting off the bus. bare in my mind the woman driver looked as though she was in her late 50's early 60's.

I should be out at somepoint this week, most likely Wednesday when I shall give another Update.

gtom

Banned

03 Mar 2013, 6:17 pm #39
(03 Mar 2013, 5:39 pm)Adam Malarkey Adam's GNE Update

Do you mean Mills & Boon? Granny romance books!
gtom
03 Mar 2013, 6:17 pm #39

(03 Mar 2013, 5:39 pm)Adam Malarkey Adam's GNE Update

Do you mean Mills & Boon? Granny romance books!

Malarkey

03 Mar 2013, 6:36 pm #40
yeah that's the one
Malarkey
03 Mar 2013, 6:36 pm #40

yeah that's the one

Pages (23) Previous 1 2 323 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average