Menu

North East Buses The Bus Scene Elsewhere Bus Management & Infrastructure London Bus Scene - Transport for London (TfL)

London Bus Scene - Transport for London (TfL)

London Bus Scene - Transport for London (TfL)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
16 Jan 2013, 6:29 pm #1
Some pictures of London companies (Stratford Bus Station)
Blueiain
16 Jan 2013, 6:29 pm #1

Some pictures of London companies (Stratford Bus Station)

Adrian

10 Apr 2013, 8:13 pm #2
Managed to finally get to ride one of the new Boris Buses whilst down London earlier in the week. Very impressive.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
10 Apr 2013, 8:13 pm #2

Managed to finally get to ride one of the new Boris Buses whilst down London earlier in the week. Very impressive.

Andreos1

12 Apr 2013, 1:22 pm #3
Transport for London has announced a number of awards for London bus contracts this morning.
They see Stagecoach London take on three routes from Go Ahead’s Metrobus operation - taken from 'The Bus People'.

One of the routes has a PVR of 12 and Stagecoach are promising to run it with new vehicles.
Andreos1
12 Apr 2013, 1:22 pm #3

Transport for London has announced a number of awards for London bus contracts this morning.
They see Stagecoach London take on three routes from Go Ahead’s Metrobus operation - taken from 'The Bus People'.

One of the routes has a PVR of 12 and Stagecoach are promising to run it with new vehicles.

Adrian

12 Apr 2013, 9:04 pm #4
I've updated my Flickr with a small collection of photos taken whilst down London this week. Link in my signature.

Adrian
12 Apr 2013, 9:04 pm #4

I've updated my Flickr with a small collection of photos taken whilst down London this week. Link in my signature.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

11 May 2013, 9:44 pm #5
I've been looking at some photos of the Borismaster (New Bus for London). Is it the intention for these buses to operate all the double-deck TfL-contracted bus services eventually or just a few? Does anyone know if there's a list of services that these buses are planned to run on?

These buses seem to have divided opinion. There is a huge cost behind them, but they do look very striking. From videos I've seen on TV, they seem quiet inside but rather cramped in the downstairs. Perhaps on TV it's difficult to get a feel for the space inside unless you're actually there, but I'm sure the three-doors are managing to slash boarding/alighting times, which is what you need when schedules are already hit by city traffic to deal with. I'm hoping to get down to London at some point over the summer and try them for myself Smile
NEB Admin Team
11 May 2013, 9:44 pm #5

I've been looking at some photos of the Borismaster (New Bus for London). Is it the intention for these buses to operate all the double-deck TfL-contracted bus services eventually or just a few? Does anyone know if there's a list of services that these buses are planned to run on?

These buses seem to have divided opinion. There is a huge cost behind them, but they do look very striking. From videos I've seen on TV, they seem quiet inside but rather cramped in the downstairs. Perhaps on TV it's difficult to get a feel for the space inside unless you're actually there, but I'm sure the three-doors are managing to slash boarding/alighting times, which is what you need when schedules are already hit by city traffic to deal with. I'm hoping to get down to London at some point over the summer and try them for myself Smile

Adrian

11 May 2013, 10:05 pm #6
(11 May 2013, 9:44 pm)Brandon I've been looking at some photos of the Borismaster (New Bus for London). Is it the intention for these buses to operate all the double-deck TfL-contracted bus services eventually or just a few? Does anyone know if there's a list of services that these buses are planned to run on?

I really like them. I've had 4 of them now. They're really well designed, and look incredible inside and out. Definitely the best modern bus I've been on. I don't think they're cramped at all really, apart from the seats you lose downstairs for having two sets of stairs and three lots of doors (incl. the platform at the back).

Taken from the TFL website: "The first two buses have left the Wrightbus factory in Northern Ireland, these will be followed by another four next week and a further 594 over the next three years."

I'd really recommend the trip down there.

Adrian
11 May 2013, 10:05 pm #6

(11 May 2013, 9:44 pm)Brandon I've been looking at some photos of the Borismaster (New Bus for London). Is it the intention for these buses to operate all the double-deck TfL-contracted bus services eventually or just a few? Does anyone know if there's a list of services that these buses are planned to run on?

I really like them. I've had 4 of them now. They're really well designed, and look incredible inside and out. Definitely the best modern bus I've been on. I don't think they're cramped at all really, apart from the seats you lose downstairs for having two sets of stairs and three lots of doors (incl. the platform at the back).

Taken from the TFL website: "The first two buses have left the Wrightbus factory in Northern Ireland, these will be followed by another four next week and a further 594 over the next three years."

Andreos1

11 May 2013, 10:16 pm #7
My trips down there, always end up going underground or a few times on the dlr, mainly due to convenience - so never been on a bus in London at all.
According to bus lists, the borismasters are all operated by Arriva.
Does anyone know if Arriva are getting the lot or if any of the other operators are getting some?

Edit: Not sure if anyone has, but stand at the front of a dlr train as it heads into Bank. Im not easily scared, but that trip freaked me out the first time I did it! No driver and heading down a steep gradient into the dark...
Edited 11 May 2013, 10:18 pm by Andreos1.
Andreos1
11 May 2013, 10:16 pm #7

My trips down there, always end up going underground or a few times on the dlr, mainly due to convenience - so never been on a bus in London at all.
According to bus lists, the borismasters are all operated by Arriva.
Does anyone know if Arriva are getting the lot or if any of the other operators are getting some?

Edit: Not sure if anyone has, but stand at the front of a dlr train as it heads into Bank. Im not easily scared, but that trip freaked me out the first time I did it! No driver and heading down a steep gradient into the dark...

Adam

11 May 2013, 10:19 pm #8
Metroline's route 24 is the route to receive the Borismasters that've left the factory. Some of them are now in London for preparation of Driver Familiarisation duties so it's ready for the switch-over next month (June 22nd I think).

I'm sure I read somewhere that Arriva's 38 is to fully operated by Borismasters after the successful trial.
Adam
11 May 2013, 10:19 pm #8

Metroline's route 24 is the route to receive the Borismasters that've left the factory. Some of them are now in London for preparation of Driver Familiarisation duties so it's ready for the switch-over next month (June 22nd I think).

I'm sure I read somewhere that Arriva's 38 is to fully operated by Borismasters after the successful trial.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

11 May 2013, 10:58 pm #9
Thanks guys!

These buses look great in photos, but I can imagine that they have to be seen for real to be truly appreciated. Photos I've seen show off a rather sophisticated interior and I am fond of the styling and colour scheme used. A must-see for me I reckon!

I was in London for the first time last June for my birthday. The only London bus service I used was the 59 several times. I didn't really like how long it took to get in and out of Euston, especially when through trips were being made from Kings Cross beyond Euston towards the Thames and Waterloo. The Underground was far speedier, but I'm certainly not ruling out bus transport on future visits because there's nothing quite like looking out of the front top-deck window in a new city. Smile

Andreos I've yet to experience a dlr journey, but I'm intrigued about that approach into Bank, I'm keen to try it for myself now! Big Grin

I remember being confused about ticketing in London. At the time I got the impression that you could buy a Travelticket for select zones which would allow you travel on Underground in those zones, but bus transport was permitted across all zones regardless? Not sure if this is correct though or if it would be valid on dlr or not.

This is one of the tickets I bought, used on Underground trips and on bus which drivers barely even looked at! I didn't realise I still had this! Tongue

[attachment=4428]
NEB Admin Team
11 May 2013, 10:58 pm #9

Thanks guys!

These buses look great in photos, but I can imagine that they have to be seen for real to be truly appreciated. Photos I've seen show off a rather sophisticated interior and I am fond of the styling and colour scheme used. A must-see for me I reckon!

I was in London for the first time last June for my birthday. The only London bus service I used was the 59 several times. I didn't really like how long it took to get in and out of Euston, especially when through trips were being made from Kings Cross beyond Euston towards the Thames and Waterloo. The Underground was far speedier, but I'm certainly not ruling out bus transport on future visits because there's nothing quite like looking out of the front top-deck window in a new city. Smile

Andreos I've yet to experience a dlr journey, but I'm intrigued about that approach into Bank, I'm keen to try it for myself now! Big Grin

I remember being confused about ticketing in London. At the time I got the impression that you could buy a Travelticket for select zones which would allow you travel on Underground in those zones, but bus transport was permitted across all zones regardless? Not sure if this is correct though or if it would be valid on dlr or not.

This is one of the tickets I bought, used on Underground trips and on bus which drivers barely even looked at! I didn't realise I still had this! Tongue

[attachment=4428]

Adrian

11 May 2013, 11:09 pm #10
I'd say it's still actually quicker from Euston to Kings Cross on the bus, despite it often getting stuck coming out of Euston bus station. Taking in to account the distance you have to walk at each of the tube stations.

You're best off getting an Oyster card if you're going down again. £1.40 per single fare on the bus, with a price cap of £4.40 a day. There are no peak/off peak or zones on buses.

DLR is the same fare structure as the Tube, so you have zones/peak/off-peak, and would be paying about £7.00 for your daily price cap in zones 1 & 2. I'll never begin to understand the zones structure, so I've just got auto-topup on my Oyster. Life saver Smile

Adrian
11 May 2013, 11:09 pm #10

I'd say it's still actually quicker from Euston to Kings Cross on the bus, despite it often getting stuck coming out of Euston bus station. Taking in to account the distance you have to walk at each of the tube stations.

You're best off getting an Oyster card if you're going down again. £1.40 per single fare on the bus, with a price cap of £4.40 a day. There are no peak/off peak or zones on buses.

DLR is the same fare structure as the Tube, so you have zones/peak/off-peak, and would be paying about £7.00 for your daily price cap in zones 1 & 2. I'll never begin to understand the zones structure, so I've just got auto-topup on my Oyster. Life saver Smile

Andreos1

11 May 2013, 11:22 pm #11
When staying in the 'zones', like aureolin - I think the payg oysters are great.
The only thing I would say with that, is to be careful how much you put on the card - too little and you will have problems, too much and it is money wasted, especially if you dont get down often.

To be honest, I have found the underground ideal to travel between Kings Cross and Euston (when needing a change on the Northern Line to Waterloo). It might be different if your not needing to stay underground though.

Re approach to Bank, Im not sure if it was because I wasnt expecting the drop, the darkness or the lack of driver. Havent experienced anything like it
Edited 11 May 2013, 11:33 pm by Andreos1.
Andreos1
11 May 2013, 11:22 pm #11

When staying in the 'zones', like aureolin - I think the payg oysters are great.
The only thing I would say with that, is to be careful how much you put on the card - too little and you will have problems, too much and it is money wasted, especially if you dont get down often.

To be honest, I have found the underground ideal to travel between Kings Cross and Euston (when needing a change on the Northern Line to Waterloo). It might be different if your not needing to stay underground though.

Re approach to Bank, Im not sure if it was because I wasnt expecting the drop, the darkness or the lack of driver. Havent experienced anything like it

Andreos1

20 May 2013, 1:56 pm #12
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22597133 A curious perspective about the Borismasters.
Edited 09 Oct 2013, 11:11 am by Andreos1.
Andreos1
20 May 2013, 1:56 pm #12

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22597133 A curious perspective about the Borismasters.

Andreos1

03 Jun 2013, 4:20 pm #13
Excellent idea bu TFL - www.london.gov.uk/mayor-assembly/london-assembly/investigations/bus-services-in-london They obviously appreciate what their passengers think of the services and actively involve them in planning for the future
Andreos1
03 Jun 2013, 4:20 pm #13

Excellent idea bu TFL - www.london.gov.uk/mayor-assembly/london-assembly/investigations/bus-services-in-london They obviously appreciate what their passengers think of the services and actively involve them in planning for the future

Adrian

03 Jun 2013, 4:36 pm #14
(03 Jun 2013, 4:20 pm)Andreos1 Excellent idea bu TFL - www.london.gov.uk/mayor-assembly/london-assembly/investigations/bus-services-in-london They obviously appreciate what their passengers think of the services and actively involve them in planning for the future

It's great to see, but they're actually accountable to the public. I know I keep saying it, but commercial operations are only accountable to their shareholders. Sad

Adrian
03 Jun 2013, 4:36 pm #14

(03 Jun 2013, 4:20 pm)Andreos1 Excellent idea bu TFL - www.london.gov.uk/mayor-assembly/london-assembly/investigations/bus-services-in-london They obviously appreciate what their passengers think of the services and actively involve them in planning for the future

It's great to see, but they're actually accountable to the public. I know I keep saying it, but commercial operations are only accountable to their shareholders. Sad

Andreos1

03 Jun 2013, 4:57 pm #15
Totally agree. Its amazing the system which was abolished in the 80s, works so well in the only place it was retained, whilst the rest of the country struggles with the new system.

If only us poor passengers were at the forefront of our local operators minds...
Andreos1
03 Jun 2013, 4:57 pm #15

Totally agree. Its amazing the system which was abolished in the 80s, works so well in the only place it was retained, whilst the rest of the country struggles with the new system.

If only us poor passengers were at the forefront of our local operators minds...

Adrian

03 Jun 2013, 5:19 pm #16
(03 Jun 2013, 4:57 pm)Andreos1 Totally agree. Its amazing the system which was abolished in the 80s, works so well in the only place it was retained, whilst the rest of the country struggles with the new system.

I have to say, and only from my personal experience with buses in London, they seem to have it down to a T. Buses turn up when they should do (which is partially for the extensive investment in infrastructure down there), they're very rarely crowded, and they're extremely frequent. I think it also encourages use when there's so much choice of where to go by bus, without being inconvenienced of having to travel to a bus station. Infact - I don't think I've had to travel to any bus station down there aside from Euston... and that was for the train...

Adrian
03 Jun 2013, 5:19 pm #16

(03 Jun 2013, 4:57 pm)Andreos1 Totally agree. Its amazing the system which was abolished in the 80s, works so well in the only place it was retained, whilst the rest of the country struggles with the new system.

I have to say, and only from my personal experience with buses in London, they seem to have it down to a T. Buses turn up when they should do (which is partially for the extensive investment in infrastructure down there), they're very rarely crowded, and they're extremely frequent. I think it also encourages use when there's so much choice of where to go by bus, without being inconvenienced of having to travel to a bus station. Infact - I don't think I've had to travel to any bus station down there aside from Euston... and that was for the train...

Andreos1

24 Jun 2013, 8:05 am #17
It looks like 'Magic Bus' has made an appearance in London. Heres a link with some photos www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/24/dynamo-levitate-london-bus
Andreos1
24 Jun 2013, 8:05 am #17

It looks like 'Magic Bus' has made an appearance in London. Heres a link with some photos www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/24/dynamo-levitate-london-bus

RJL66

11 Aug 2013, 3:12 pm #18
(11 May 2013, 10:05 pm)aureolin

route 11 will convert in Spetember

RJL66
11 Aug 2013, 3:12 pm #18

(11 May 2013, 10:05 pm)aureolin

route 11 will convert in Spetember

Andreos1

31 Aug 2013, 7:56 pm #19
Taken from the BBC website, this follows up from the Paralympics and the accessibility of the TfL network www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv/23905641
Andreos1
31 Aug 2013, 7:56 pm #19

Taken from the BBC website, this follows up from the Paralympics and the accessibility of the TfL network www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv/23905641

Andreos1

13 Dec 2013, 1:40 pm #20
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25338867

It seems the BBC website is full of transport related stories today.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
13 Dec 2013, 1:40 pm #20

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25338867

It seems the BBC website is full of transport related stories today.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average