Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2013

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2013

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2013

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (7): Previous 1 2 37 Next
tyresmoke

05 Oct 2013, 11:00 pm #21
(05 Oct 2013, 10:50 pm)Adam Malarkey Just a thought with all of Arriva's Promotion and upgrade in Frequency of the X1/X2 Middlesbrough - Durham - Newcastle, Would be worth putting the Service under the Sapphire Branding.

I have asked the question and apparently not. There are other services being looked at for the next Sapphire route(s)

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
05 Oct 2013, 11:00 pm #21

(05 Oct 2013, 10:50 pm)Adam Malarkey Just a thought with all of Arriva's Promotion and upgrade in Frequency of the X1/X2 Middlesbrough - Durham - Newcastle, Would be worth putting the Service under the Sapphire Branding.

I have asked the question and apparently not. There are other services being looked at for the next Sapphire route(s)

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Malarkey

06 Oct 2013, 1:54 pm #22
(05 Oct 2013, 11:00 pm)tyresmoke I have asked the question and apparently not. There are other services being looked at for the next Sapphire route(s)

the 306 will be one of them i'm guessing, quite surprised Arriva hasn't gone with the X2 for Sapphire as I think it would be a perfect choice, plus the fact Sapphire has Wifi etc it could potentially take customers in Durham/Middlesbrough and Newcastle away from using say 21/X21 and the X9/X10 Perhaps. Can't think of any other routes as I don't really use Arriva that much.
Malarkey
06 Oct 2013, 1:54 pm #22

(05 Oct 2013, 11:00 pm)tyresmoke I have asked the question and apparently not. There are other services being looked at for the next Sapphire route(s)

the 306 will be one of them i'm guessing, quite surprised Arriva hasn't gone with the X2 for Sapphire as I think it would be a perfect choice, plus the fact Sapphire has Wifi etc it could potentially take customers in Durham/Middlesbrough and Newcastle away from using say 21/X21 and the X9/X10 Perhaps. Can't think of any other routes as I don't really use Arriva that much.

Tom

06 Oct 2013, 2:07 pm #23
(06 Oct 2013, 1:54 pm)Adam Malarkey the 306 will be one of them i'm guessing, quite surprised Arriva hasn't gone with the X2 for Sapphire as I think it would be a perfect choice, plus the fact Sapphire has Wifi etc it could potentially take customers in Durham/Middlesbrough and Newcastle away from using say 21/X21 and the X9/X10 Perhaps. Can't think of any other routes as I don't really use Arriva that much.

X15/X18?
Tom
06 Oct 2013, 2:07 pm #23

(06 Oct 2013, 1:54 pm)Adam Malarkey the 306 will be one of them i'm guessing, quite surprised Arriva hasn't gone with the X2 for Sapphire as I think it would be a perfect choice, plus the fact Sapphire has Wifi etc it could potentially take customers in Durham/Middlesbrough and Newcastle away from using say 21/X21 and the X9/X10 Perhaps. Can't think of any other routes as I don't really use Arriva that much.

X15/X18?

Adrian

06 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm #24
Are Arriva doing anything with smart ticketing? Or have I completely missed this? I was looking to buy a 4 weekly ticket, but preferably not in paper form. :s

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
06 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm #24

Are Arriva doing anything with smart ticketing? Or have I completely missed this? I was looking to buy a 4 weekly ticket, but preferably not in paper form. :s

CatsFast101

Unregistered

06 Oct 2013, 3:17 pm #25
(06 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm)aureolin Are Arriva doing anything with smart ticketing? Or have I completely missed this? I was looking to buy a 4 weekly ticket, but preferably not in paper form. :s

M-ticket app?
CatsFast101
06 Oct 2013, 3:17 pm #25

(06 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm)aureolin Are Arriva doing anything with smart ticketing? Or have I completely missed this? I was looking to buy a 4 weekly ticket, but preferably not in paper form. :s

M-ticket app?

Adrian

06 Oct 2013, 3:20 pm #26
(06 Oct 2013, 3:17 pm)CatsFast101 M-ticket app?

Had thought about mobile ticketing, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I'd rather have a smartcard which I know I'm going to be able to use when I need it, whereas I don't know how much phone battery I'd have left by the end of the day.

Adrian
06 Oct 2013, 3:20 pm #26

(06 Oct 2013, 3:17 pm)CatsFast101 M-ticket app?

Had thought about mobile ticketing, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I'd rather have a smartcard which I know I'm going to be able to use when I need it, whereas I don't know how much phone battery I'd have left by the end of the day.

CatsFast101

Unregistered

06 Oct 2013, 3:48 pm #27
(06 Oct 2013, 3:20 pm)aureolin Had thought about mobile ticketing, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I'd rather have a smartcard which I know I'm going to be able to use when I need it, whereas I don't know how much phone battery I'd have left by the end of the day.

Yeah that's always the problem with mobile ticking app especially if you out from early morning and/or out til late night. For things like day tickets, I generally prefer the old fashioned way as the key card reader on GNE Buses often don't work, a friend who had a annual get around pass was made to pay the single fare on at least 3 journeys this summer.
CatsFast101
06 Oct 2013, 3:48 pm #27

(06 Oct 2013, 3:20 pm)aureolin Had thought about mobile ticketing, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I'd rather have a smartcard which I know I'm going to be able to use when I need it, whereas I don't know how much phone battery I'd have left by the end of the day.

Yeah that's always the problem with mobile ticking app especially if you out from early morning and/or out til late night. For things like day tickets, I generally prefer the old fashioned way as the key card reader on GNE Buses often don't work, a friend who had a annual get around pass was made to pay the single fare on at least 3 journeys this summer.

citaro5284

06 Oct 2013, 3:55 pm #28
(06 Oct 2013, 3:48 pm)CatsFast101 as the key card reader on GNE Buses often don't work, a friend who had a annual get around pass was made to pay the single fare on at least 3 journeys this summer.

Whilst I know they should work everytime but I would not say 3 journeys in Summer months counts as often.
citaro5284
06 Oct 2013, 3:55 pm #28

(06 Oct 2013, 3:48 pm)CatsFast101 as the key card reader on GNE Buses often don't work, a friend who had a annual get around pass was made to pay the single fare on at least 3 journeys this summer.

Whilst I know they should work everytime but I would not say 3 journeys in Summer months counts as often.

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Oct 2013, 3:59 pm #29
(06 Oct 2013, 3:55 pm)citaro5284 Whilst I know they should work everytime but I would not say 3 journeys in Summer months counts as often.

Can the ticket machines not read Key Cards? I've seen coffin dodgers using the ticket machines for their concessionary passes.
Dan
06 Oct 2013, 3:59 pm #29

(06 Oct 2013, 3:55 pm)citaro5284 Whilst I know they should work everytime but I would not say 3 journeys in Summer months counts as often.

Can the ticket machines not read Key Cards? I've seen coffin dodgers using the ticket machines for their concessionary passes.

citaro5284

06 Oct 2013, 4:01 pm #30
(06 Oct 2013, 3:59 pm)Daniel Can the ticket machines not read Key Cards? I've seen coffin dodgers using the ticket machines for their concessionary passes.

Yes they can. Sometimes there is a communication issue between the reader and the ETM which causes the problem. Also it is suppose to work when the remote reader is working, the one on the ETM does not and vice versa.
citaro5284
06 Oct 2013, 4:01 pm #30

(06 Oct 2013, 3:59 pm)Daniel Can the ticket machines not read Key Cards? I've seen coffin dodgers using the ticket machines for their concessionary passes.

Yes they can. Sometimes there is a communication issue between the reader and the ETM which causes the problem. Also it is suppose to work when the remote reader is working, the one on the ETM does not and vice versa.

CatsFast101

Unregistered

06 Oct 2013, 4:12 pm #31

Yes they can, but still I know a friend who had an annual pass and was forced to pay 90p, £1.35 and £2.20 on three seperate journeys when I was with her this summer.
And not often Ciatro5284 but a three times too many. And in these case you have a valid pass don't carry change for the bus then get told you need to pay or get off. Isn't good at all.
CatsFast101
06 Oct 2013, 4:12 pm #31

Yes they can, but still I know a friend who had an annual pass and was forced to pay 90p, £1.35 and £2.20 on three seperate journeys when I was with her this summer.
And not often Ciatro5284 but a three times too many. And in these case you have a valid pass don't carry change for the bus then get told you need to pay or get off. Isn't good at all.

citaro5284

06 Oct 2013, 4:31 pm #32
(06 Oct 2013, 4:12 pm)CatsFast101 Yes they can, but still I know a friend who had an annual pass and was forced to pay 90p, £1.35 and £2.20 on three seperate journeys when I was with her this summer.

Why was she forced to pay, could she not have put her card on the ETM?
Lets be honest everything at some stage breaks down or becomes faulty (it is as guaranteed like taxes and death), your friend may have been unlucky, but I still think 3 times in 3 months is not often (and how many journeys were made successfully?), but what would you suggest in this case? You cannot just give 'everyone' free rides as how does the driver know the card is valid in the first place and you cannot take a bus out of service either.
citaro5284
06 Oct 2013, 4:31 pm #32

(06 Oct 2013, 4:12 pm)CatsFast101 Yes they can, but still I know a friend who had an annual pass and was forced to pay 90p, £1.35 and £2.20 on three seperate journeys when I was with her this summer.

Why was she forced to pay, could she not have put her card on the ETM?
Lets be honest everything at some stage breaks down or becomes faulty (it is as guaranteed like taxes and death), your friend may have been unlucky, but I still think 3 times in 3 months is not often (and how many journeys were made successfully?), but what would you suggest in this case? You cannot just give 'everyone' free rides as how does the driver know the card is valid in the first place and you cannot take a bus out of service either.

Adrian

06 Oct 2013, 4:38 pm #33
I use my GNE key card at least 4 times a day, and I've very rarely had any problems, apart from the first month of the launch. Nobody should be made to pay, because even if the ETM gives a "travel not allowed" error, the driver can run a report and see exactly what tickets are stored. My only gripe with that is it shouldn't be up to me to tell the driver to do that. I've never yet had someone to offer to do it without prompt.

Adrian
06 Oct 2013, 4:38 pm #33

I use my GNE key card at least 4 times a day, and I've very rarely had any problems, apart from the first month of the launch. Nobody should be made to pay, because even if the ETM gives a "travel not allowed" error, the driver can run a report and see exactly what tickets are stored. My only gripe with that is it shouldn't be up to me to tell the driver to do that. I've never yet had someone to offer to do it without prompt.

citaro5284

06 Oct 2013, 4:41 pm #34
(06 Oct 2013, 4:38 pm)aureolin I use my GNE key card at least 4 times a day, and I've very rarely had any problems, apart from the first month of the launch. Nobody should be made to pay, because even if the ETM gives a "travel not allowed" error, the driver can run a report and see exactly what tickets are stored. My only gripe with that is it shouldn't be up to me to tell the driver to do that. I've never yet had someone to offer to do it without prompt.

What happens if then the customer says I have paid for a product and it is not my fault it is not on. Where does this leave the driver?
citaro5284
06 Oct 2013, 4:41 pm #34

(06 Oct 2013, 4:38 pm)aureolin I use my GNE key card at least 4 times a day, and I've very rarely had any problems, apart from the first month of the launch. Nobody should be made to pay, because even if the ETM gives a "travel not allowed" error, the driver can run a report and see exactly what tickets are stored. My only gripe with that is it shouldn't be up to me to tell the driver to do that. I've never yet had someone to offer to do it without prompt.

What happens if then the customer says I have paid for a product and it is not my fault it is not on. Where does this leave the driver?

CatsFast101

Unregistered

06 Oct 2013, 4:46 pm #35
(06 Oct 2013, 4:31 pm)citaro5284 Why was she forced to pay, could she not have put her card on the ETM?

I say over the summer it was probably over a 3-4 week period over the summer. And nope the drivers just make her pay and all they say is well it takes 48 hours for it to load but she bought it last September! But I appreciate this maybe extreme circumstances but it's still very inconvenient to have to pay when you've got a pass.
CatsFast101
06 Oct 2013, 4:46 pm #35

(06 Oct 2013, 4:31 pm)citaro5284 Why was she forced to pay, could she not have put her card on the ETM?

I say over the summer it was probably over a 3-4 week period over the summer. And nope the drivers just make her pay and all they say is well it takes 48 hours for it to load but she bought it last September! But I appreciate this maybe extreme circumstances but it's still very inconvenient to have to pay when you've got a pass.

Adrian

06 Oct 2013, 4:47 pm #36
(06 Oct 2013, 4:41 pm)citaro5284 What happens if then the customer says I have paid for a product and it is not my fault it is not on. Where does this leave the driver?

I've never had this happen to me before, but thinking about the technical side of things, it should only ever occur if the vehicle hasn't taken the latest dataset? If it was the first bus of the day, I'd either let it go or pay for a single fare for the time being. If I had been using my card all day though, I'd be a bit miffed if I was asked to pay. The chances of me doing so would be approximately zero.

Adrian
06 Oct 2013, 4:47 pm #36

(06 Oct 2013, 4:41 pm)citaro5284 What happens if then the customer says I have paid for a product and it is not my fault it is not on. Where does this leave the driver?

I've never had this happen to me before, but thinking about the technical side of things, it should only ever occur if the vehicle hasn't taken the latest dataset? If it was the first bus of the day, I'd either let it go or pay for a single fare for the time being. If I had been using my card all day though, I'd be a bit miffed if I was asked to pay. The chances of me doing so would be approximately zero.

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Oct 2013, 5:48 pm #37
Does anyone know if the fares would be refunded (either by cash or by ticket) if there was a problem and the driver made the customer pay the fare?
Dan
06 Oct 2013, 5:48 pm #37

Does anyone know if the fares would be refunded (either by cash or by ticket) if there was a problem and the driver made the customer pay the fare?

Adrian

06 Oct 2013, 6:06 pm #38
(06 Oct 2013, 5:48 pm)Daniel Does anyone know if the fares would be refunded (either by cash or by ticket) if there was a problem and the driver made the customer pay the fare?

The approach is inconsistent from what I've seen.
  • OAPs tend to just be let on the bus no questions asked.
  • Adults/Teens/Kids are hit and miss - I've seen everything from someone being threatened with the police, to people just being waived on.

The most worrying thing I've seen is when I once had to pay a young lasses fare. Her card was showing 'travel not allowed'. Despite pleading that it's just worked on another bus, and that she didn't have enough money for the full fare, she was told she'd have to get off the bus. It was about 9pm during the dark winter months too.

Adrian
06 Oct 2013, 6:06 pm #38

(06 Oct 2013, 5:48 pm)Daniel Does anyone know if the fares would be refunded (either by cash or by ticket) if there was a problem and the driver made the customer pay the fare?

The approach is inconsistent from what I've seen.
  • OAPs tend to just be let on the bus no questions asked.
  • Adults/Teens/Kids are hit and miss - I've seen everything from someone being threatened with the police, to people just being waived on.

The most worrying thing I've seen is when I once had to pay a young lasses fare. Her card was showing 'travel not allowed'. Despite pleading that it's just worked on another bus, and that she didn't have enough money for the full fare, she was told she'd have to get off the bus. It was about 9pm during the dark winter months too.

JoshP

07 Oct 2013, 8:04 am #40
An EcoCity was pictured on the X1 this morning. This is becoming quite common.
Attached Files
.jpg
image.jpg
Size: 1.21 MB / Downloads: 38
JoshP
07 Oct 2013, 8:04 am #40

An EcoCity was pictured on the X1 this morning. This is becoming quite common.

Attached Files
.jpg
image.jpg
Size: 1.21 MB / Downloads: 38

Pages (7): Previous 1 2 37 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average