Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (11) Previous 19 10 11
G-CPTN

29 Jan 2014, 7:40 pm #201
About ten years ago I needed to get to Ashington to pick up a new (secondhand) car.
I waited at the Haymarket stand, but the bus didn't show, then arrived a good twenty minutes late.

The driver 'drove like the wind' (though safely) - taking every advantage possible and slowing for the cameras where necessary.

When we arrived in Ashington he was back on schedule!
G-CPTN
29 Jan 2014, 7:40 pm #201

About ten years ago I needed to get to Ashington to pick up a new (secondhand) car.
I waited at the Haymarket stand, but the bus didn't show, then arrived a good twenty minutes late.

The driver 'drove like the wind' (though safely) - taking every advantage possible and slowing for the cameras where necessary.

29 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm #202
(29 Jan 2014, 7:40 pm)G-CPTN About ten years ago I needed to get to Ashington to pick up a new (secondhand) car.

There are some good drivers in Ashingtom Depot actually. The X15 was running late by 10 or so minutes so I got of the 43 and jumped on that one and he drove it like the wind and was even brave enough in his coach to overtake a Volvo B10 ALX 300 near Barras Bridge. Excellent driving!

I like the drivers from both GNE and Arriva who:
- Close the doors on time
- Drive quickly whilst being safe
- Don't take pitty on people who turn up at the last minute and start banging on the door
- Have a good moan at the inconsiderate little muppets who turn up with 10 and 20 quid notes for a £1.40 fare during peak times

I remember once this right old school driver from Blyth with a deep voice was driving the 308 and he gave two of the Benfield Road crowd at St Mary's stick. One for running at the last minute with no fare ready and farting around in his bag holding the bus up. And the girl who got on after due to him holding the bus up, trying to pay the £1.40 fare to Benfield Road with a note. I was thinking good on him for doing so and he was spot on. I can totally understand how the good drivers feel though at times.
Edited 29 Jan 2014, 8:14 pm by Davey Bowyer.
Davey Bowyer
29 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm #202

(29 Jan 2014, 7:40 pm)G-CPTN About ten years ago I needed to get to Ashington to pick up a new (secondhand) car.

There are some good drivers in Ashingtom Depot actually. The X15 was running late by 10 or so minutes so I got of the 43 and jumped on that one and he drove it like the wind and was even brave enough in his coach to overtake a Volvo B10 ALX 300 near Barras Bridge. Excellent driving!

- Don't take pitty on people who turn up at the last minute and start banging on the door
- Have a good moan at the inconsiderate little muppets who turn up with 10 and 20 quid notes for a £1.40 fare during peak times

I remember once this right old school driver from Blyth with a deep voice was driving the 308 and he gave two of the Benfield Road crowd at St Mary's stick. One for running at the last minute with no fare ready and farting around in his bag holding the bus up. And the girl who got on after due to him holding the bus up, trying to pay the £1.40 fare to Benfield Road with a note. I was thinking good on him for doing so and he was spot on. I can totally understand how the good drivers feel though at times.

Adrian

29 Jan 2014, 8:35 pm #203
(29 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm)Davey Bowyer There are some good drivers in Ashingtom Depot actually. The X15 was running late by 10 or so minutes so I got of the 43 and jumped on that one and he drove it like the wind and was even brave enough in his coach to overtake a Volvo B10 ALX 300 near Barras Bridge. Excellent driving!

I've said it before, but people don't deliberately turn up with notes to pay for a fare. Firstly operators don't list their single/return fares, so how can they expect customers to have the correct change when it can't be referenced in advance? Secondly I'm yet to find a cash point that will dispense your withdrawal in cash? I'd love to see one though. The majority of people pay with notes as a last resort. Would you expect to get a mouth full if you paid for your shopping with a note?

I wouldn't expect a driver to drive quickly or slowly. I'd expect them to drive to timetable to the best of their ability. I understand roadworks and congestion causes issues at times, but that isn't an excuse to race around like a lunatic.

As for "having a good moan". It's completely unacceptable in what essentially is a customer facing role. The impression a customer gets from a driver "having a good moan" is the impression they will have of that company as a whole - not the driver. It doesn't do company reputation any good at all.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 Jan 2014, 8:35 pm #203

(29 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm)Davey Bowyer There are some good drivers in Ashingtom Depot actually. The X15 was running late by 10 or so minutes so I got of the 43 and jumped on that one and he drove it like the wind and was even brave enough in his coach to overtake a Volvo B10 ALX 300 near Barras Bridge. Excellent driving!

I've said it before, but people don't deliberately turn up with notes to pay for a fare. Firstly operators don't list their single/return fares, so how can they expect customers to have the correct change when it can't be referenced in advance? Secondly I'm yet to find a cash point that will dispense your withdrawal in cash? I'd love to see one though. The majority of people pay with notes as a last resort. Would you expect to get a mouth full if you paid for your shopping with a note?

I wouldn't expect a driver to drive quickly or slowly. I'd expect them to drive to timetable to the best of their ability. I understand roadworks and congestion causes issues at times, but that isn't an excuse to race around like a lunatic.

As for "having a good moan". It's completely unacceptable in what essentially is a customer facing role. The impression a customer gets from a driver "having a good moan" is the impression they will have of that company as a whole - not the driver. It doesn't do company reputation any good at all.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

tyresmoke

30 Jan 2014, 6:32 pm #204
The latest Pulsars to be debranded at Stockton are 1442 (marking the end of the 9 branding) and 1445, both back at Stockton.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
30 Jan 2014, 6:32 pm #204

The latest Pulsars to be debranded at Stockton are 1442 (marking the end of the 9 branding) and 1445, both back at Stockton.

30 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm #205
Picked up some of the new timetable leaflets. They certainly know how to confuse people. If it's hard for us to understand how do they expect the average passenger to? They should never re-use the same service number for a new service immediately after an old service finishes.
Anomolies - why is the 28B variation round Cypress Road in white while round Easterside its turquoise?
Some downright lies - 8 buses combined 9/27A Monday to Saturday? By my reckoning its 7 on a Saturday. And stretching it to call the 64A a quarter hourly service on a Mon-Fri when its actually 10, 20, 10, 20 !
Roland Pratt
30 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm #205

Picked up some of the new timetable leaflets. They certainly know how to confuse people. If it's hard for us to understand how do they expect the average passenger to? They should never re-use the same service number for a new service immediately after an old service finishes.
Anomolies - why is the 28B variation round Cypress Road in white while round Easterside its turquoise?
Some downright lies - 8 buses combined 9/27A Monday to Saturday? By my reckoning its 7 on a Saturday. And stretching it to call the 64A a quarter hourly service on a Mon-Fri when its actually 10, 20, 10, 20 !

Kuyoyo

30 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm #206
(30 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm)Roland Pratt Picked up some of the new timetable leaflets. They certainly know how to confuse people. If it's hard for us to understand how do they expect the average passenger to? They should never re-use the same service number for a new service immediately after an old service finishes.

9s and 27As won't be interworking on Saturdays - 27/27a as now on Saturdays with a PVR of 6 (27 out to Netherfields return as 27a like Sundays), 9s stand alone with 4 vehicles. 9/27a on weekdays is 9, and 4 on 27s.
Kuyoyo
30 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm #206

(30 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm)Roland Pratt Picked up some of the new timetable leaflets. They certainly know how to confuse people. If it's hard for us to understand how do they expect the average passenger to? They should never re-use the same service number for a new service immediately after an old service finishes.

9s and 27As won't be interworking on Saturdays - 27/27a as now on Saturdays with a PVR of 6 (27 out to Netherfields return as 27a like Sundays), 9s stand alone with 4 vehicles. 9/27a on weekdays is 9, and 4 on 27s.

Andreos1

30 Jan 2014, 8:01 pm #207
(29 Jan 2014, 6:24 pm)busman101 After this statement last night and my journey this morning on the X11 to get to Blyth, my money might just be on the 309 being quicker ! The 8.15 X11 from Newcastle eventually arrived in Blyth at 9.38 (due at 9.09) with the driver in no rush to get to Blyth - am wondering if eco scores are the focus for not doing more than 35mph on the A1 rather than trying to get people from A to B on time. The App must have been created to monitor just how late your bus is as there wasn't much on time in the Haymarket this morning - most over 10 late & bus juggling (still) with 43, 45 & 55

You should do a top gear type challenge and find out for sure!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
30 Jan 2014, 8:01 pm #207

(29 Jan 2014, 6:24 pm)busman101 After this statement last night and my journey this morning on the X11 to get to Blyth, my money might just be on the 309 being quicker ! The 8.15 X11 from Newcastle eventually arrived in Blyth at 9.38 (due at 9.09) with the driver in no rush to get to Blyth - am wondering if eco scores are the focus for not doing more than 35mph on the A1 rather than trying to get people from A to B on time. The App must have been created to monitor just how late your bus is as there wasn't much on time in the Haymarket this morning - most over 10 late & bus juggling (still) with 43, 45 & 55

You should do a top gear type challenge and find out for sure!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

busman101

30 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm #208
(30 Jan 2014, 8:01 pm)andreos1 You should do a top gear type challenge and find out for sure!

That would be a laugh - always wanted to do a video comparison of a journey from a well known geet big Teesside housing area to Middlesbrough in a bus v car kind of way to promote the Express service, you know the one, it's coming off in a few weeks !
busman101
30 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm #208

(30 Jan 2014, 8:01 pm)andreos1 You should do a top gear type challenge and find out for sure!

That would be a laugh - always wanted to do a video comparison of a journey from a well known geet big Teesside housing area to Middlesbrough in a bus v car kind of way to promote the Express service, you know the one, it's coming off in a few weeks !

30 Jan 2014, 8:58 pm #209
(30 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm)busman101 That would be a laugh - always wanted to do a video comparison of a journey from a well known geet big Teesside housing area to Middlesbrough in a bus v car kind of way to promote the Express service, you know the one, it's coming off in a few weeks !

Not quite correct!

It's becoming a peak time only service, albeit more frequent at them times.

I do think the bus would actually win on that one though!
VolvoMarkII
30 Jan 2014, 8:58 pm #209

(30 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm)busman101 That would be a laugh - always wanted to do a video comparison of a journey from a well known geet big Teesside housing area to Middlesbrough in a bus v car kind of way to promote the Express service, you know the one, it's coming off in a few weeks !

Not quite correct!

30 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm #210

Is that the law?
VolvoMarkII
30 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm #210

Is that the law?

tyresmoke

30 Jan 2014, 9:02 pm #211
(30 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm)VolvoMarkII Is that the law?

We'd only get constantly bashed for renumbering everything all of the time...

tyresmoke
30 Jan 2014, 9:02 pm #211

We'd only get constantly bashed for renumbering everything all of the time...

busman101

30 Jan 2014, 10:26 pm #212
(30 Jan 2014, 8:58 pm)VolvoMarkII Not quite correct!

Crikey, agreeing with you and andreos1 on the same day - incredible !!!
busman101
30 Jan 2014, 10:26 pm #212

(30 Jan 2014, 8:58 pm)VolvoMarkII Not quite correct!

Crikey, agreeing with you and andreos1 on the same day - incredible !!!

citaro5284

30 Jan 2014, 10:28 pm #213
(30 Jan 2014, 10:26 pm)busman101 Crikey, agreeing with you and andreos1 on the same day - incredible !!!

It must be all the fresh air in South East Northumberland and North Tyneside!
citaro5284
30 Jan 2014, 10:28 pm #213

(30 Jan 2014, 10:26 pm)busman101 Crikey, agreeing with you and andreos1 on the same day - incredible !!!

It must be all the fresh air in South East Northumberland and North Tyneside!

busman101

30 Jan 2014, 10:38 pm #214
(30 Jan 2014, 10:28 pm)citaro5284 It must be all the fresh air in South East Northumberland and North Tyneside!

It was fresh alright today - I thought I was in the Baltic rather than Cobalt !!! Sibbers & Bazza to look forward to tomorrow #mint
busman101
30 Jan 2014, 10:38 pm #214

(30 Jan 2014, 10:28 pm)citaro5284 It must be all the fresh air in South East Northumberland and North Tyneside!

It was fresh alright today - I thought I was in the Baltic rather than Cobalt !!! Sibbers & Bazza to look forward to tomorrow #mint

31 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm #215

Who mentioned the law? It's just common sense.
Roland Pratt
31 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm #215

Who mentioned the law? It's just common sense.

tyresmoke

31 Jan 2014, 12:40 pm #216
(31 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm)Roland Pratt Who mentioned the law? It's just common sense.

I don't think anyone is going to get confused between a slow Redcar-Lingdale service and a coastal extension from Loftus to Whitby ?

tyresmoke
31 Jan 2014, 12:40 pm #216

(31 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm)Roland Pratt Who mentioned the law? It's just common sense.

I don't think anyone is going to get confused between a slow Redcar-Lingdale service and a coastal extension from Loftus to Whitby ?

31 Jan 2014, 5:38 pm #217
(31 Jan 2014, 12:40 pm)tyresmoke I don't think anyone is going to get confused between a slow Redcar-Lingdale service and a coastal extension from Loftus to Whitby ?

What about the 17/17A/17B group then? A long wait at Bassleton Court if you miss the 0814!
Roland Pratt
31 Jan 2014, 5:38 pm #217

(31 Jan 2014, 12:40 pm)tyresmoke I don't think anyone is going to get confused between a slow Redcar-Lingdale service and a coastal extension from Loftus to Whitby ?

What about the 17/17A/17B group then? A long wait at Bassleton Court if you miss the 0814!

tyresmoke

31 Jan 2014, 6:04 pm #218
(31 Jan 2014, 5:38 pm)Roland Pratt What about the 17/17A/17B group then? A long wait at Bassleton Court if you miss the 0814!

Indeed, however I've lost count of the times I've left Bassleton Court empty and not picked anyone up til Cunningham Drive. For those that do use it outside of peak times (when they do get a service), there are connections available at the town centre from service 15. A return to Middlesbrough is the same price as a day ticket so there is no increase in price using that connection.

tyresmoke
31 Jan 2014, 6:04 pm #218

(31 Jan 2014, 5:38 pm)Roland Pratt What about the 17/17A/17B group then? A long wait at Bassleton Court if you miss the 0814!

Indeed, however I've lost count of the times I've left Bassleton Court empty and not picked anyone up til Cunningham Drive. For those that do use it outside of peak times (when they do get a service), there are connections available at the town centre from service 15. A return to Middlesbrough is the same price as a day ticket so there is no increase in price using that connection.

Pages (11) Previous 19 10 11

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average