Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (11) Previous 1 2 3 411 Next

11 Jan 2014, 4:19 pm #41
7367 was out on the X20s today- i thought all of the olympians had been withdrawn from service some time ago?
11 Jan 2014, 4:19 pm #41

7367 was out on the X20s today- i thought all of the olympians had been withdrawn from service some time ago?

tyresmoke

11 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm #42
(11 Jan 2014, 4:19 pm)dans_bus_photos 7367 was out on the X20s today- i thought all of the olympians had been withdrawn from service some time ago?

Believe this one was re-instated (without actually coming off the road in reality...) to replace toasted Enviro 7510.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
11 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm #42

(11 Jan 2014, 4:19 pm)dans_bus_photos 7367 was out on the X20s today- i thought all of the olympians had been withdrawn from service some time ago?

Believe this one was re-instated (without actually coming off the road in reality...) to replace toasted Enviro 7510.

11 Jan 2014, 10:10 pm #43
From today:
1519 7 12:37 Durham - Darlington
4645 X66 14:20 Darlington - Middlesbrough
4662 685 17:45 Newcastle - Carlisle

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
11 Jan 2014, 10:10 pm #43

From today:
1519 7 12:37 Durham - Darlington
4645 X66 14:20 Darlington - Middlesbrough
4662 685 17:45 Newcastle - Carlisle

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

Andreos1

11 Jan 2014, 10:40 pm #44
(11 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm)tyresmoke Believe this one was re-instated (without actually coming off the road in reality...) to replace toasted Enviro 7510.

Did the investigators find out what caused it to ignite?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
11 Jan 2014, 10:40 pm #44

(11 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm)tyresmoke Believe this one was re-instated (without actually coming off the road in reality...) to replace toasted Enviro 7510.

Did the investigators find out what caused it to ignite?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

G-CPTN

12 Jan 2014, 5:43 pm #45
(Maltese) government carried out political vendetta in ousting Arriva
From (and more at):- http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/newsdeta...a-20140112

Arriva is determined to deliver the highest quality service possible in Malta and Gozo, one that will be recognised as a leading European transport solution and has the skills and resources to do that, with a team of skilled and committed workers and support from one of Europes premier transport groups. Arriva provides services in Malta and Gozo using some of the most modern and environmentally friendly buses anywhere in Europe, equipped with 21st century features for passenger safety and comfort.
From (and more at):- http://www.arriva.com.mt/about-arriva?l=1

Arriva looks to the full 10-year term of its contract as public transport operator on the Maltese Islands, and seeks to continue to grow both as a business and as an entity within society.
From (and more at):- http://www.arriva.com.mt/arriva-csr?l=1

It is reported that the €50 million of Arriva's debt will be borne by the government.
From (and more at):- http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/newsdeta...d-20140102

The Arriva consortium, with local partner the Tumas Group, was awarded a contract to operate all scheduled bus services in Malta from July 2011, making us the sole provider of scheduled bus services on the island, and its sister island Gozo.
The transport system in Malta was previously operated by independent bus owners. The Maltese government has put in place a significant market reform, moving from a 1950s system to modern day - from an emerging liberalisation stage to mature - in one step change.
The 10-year contract for the exclusive operation of scheduled services is highly specified to meet the government's requirements for a new bus network. Arriva is delivering this reform at the same time as providing significant savings to the Maltese government, compared to the previous transport system.
From (and more at):- http://www.arriva.co.uk/business_activit...ices/malta

The commencement of Arriva's services on 3 July 2011 was marred by many buses departing late or failing to turn up, primarily due to the absence of over 70 drivers who were due to transfer from the previous driver-owner system. This resulted in large crowds building up at Valletta's new bus terminus as well as other termini and stages across Malta. Other issues increased the delays, such as incorrect or non-operational route information on buses and mechanical faults. Arriva has also received criticism over the overhauled routes and timetables, which has increased journey times for some passengers.
During the first week of the new system, up to 180 drivers, most of whom had previously worked on the old network, failed to appear for duties. They cited Arriva's use of split-shifts as the reason for their non-appearance, as these had reportedly not been part of the conditions they had agreed to work under.
Arriva responded by drafting in seventy temporary drivers from its UK operation and trained further Maltese drivers to cover for the missing employees. Some services were subcontracted to other companies.
From (and more at):- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malta_bus
Edited 12 Jan 2014, 6:40 pm by G-CPTN.
G-CPTN
12 Jan 2014, 5:43 pm #45

(Maltese) government carried out political vendetta in ousting Arriva
From (and more at):- http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/newsdeta...a-20140112

Arriva is determined to deliver the highest quality service possible in Malta and Gozo, one that will be recognised as a leading European transport solution and has the skills and resources to do that, with a team of skilled and committed workers and support from one of Europes premier transport groups. Arriva provides services in Malta and Gozo using some of the most modern and environmentally friendly buses anywhere in Europe, equipped with 21st century features for passenger safety and comfort.
From (and more at):- http://www.arriva.com.mt/about-arriva?l=1

Arriva looks to the full 10-year term of its contract as public transport operator on the Maltese Islands, and seeks to continue to grow both as a business and as an entity within society.
From (and more at):- http://www.arriva.com.mt/arriva-csr?l=1

It is reported that the €50 million of Arriva's debt will be borne by the government.
From (and more at):- http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/newsdeta...d-20140102

The Arriva consortium, with local partner the Tumas Group, was awarded a contract to operate all scheduled bus services in Malta from July 2011, making us the sole provider of scheduled bus services on the island, and its sister island Gozo.
The transport system in Malta was previously operated by independent bus owners. The Maltese government has put in place a significant market reform, moving from a 1950s system to modern day - from an emerging liberalisation stage to mature - in one step change.
The 10-year contract for the exclusive operation of scheduled services is highly specified to meet the government's requirements for a new bus network. Arriva is delivering this reform at the same time as providing significant savings to the Maltese government, compared to the previous transport system.
From (and more at):- http://www.arriva.co.uk/business_activit...ices/malta

The commencement of Arriva's services on 3 July 2011 was marred by many buses departing late or failing to turn up, primarily due to the absence of over 70 drivers who were due to transfer from the previous driver-owner system. This resulted in large crowds building up at Valletta's new bus terminus as well as other termini and stages across Malta. Other issues increased the delays, such as incorrect or non-operational route information on buses and mechanical faults. Arriva has also received criticism over the overhauled routes and timetables, which has increased journey times for some passengers.
During the first week of the new system, up to 180 drivers, most of whom had previously worked on the old network, failed to appear for duties. They cited Arriva's use of split-shifts as the reason for their non-appearance, as these had reportedly not been part of the conditions they had agreed to work under.
Arriva responded by drafting in seventy temporary drivers from its UK operation and trained further Maltese drivers to cover for the missing employees. Some services were subcontracted to other companies.
From (and more at):- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malta_bus

Adrian

13 Jan 2014, 2:19 pm #46
Has anyone seen the Versa demonstrater lately? Or has it gone elsewhere?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
13 Jan 2014, 2:19 pm #46

Has anyone seen the Versa demonstrater lately? Or has it gone elsewhere?

tyresmoke

13 Jan 2014, 2:21 pm #47
(13 Jan 2014, 2:19 pm)aureolin Has anyone seen the Versa demonstrater lately? Or has it gone elsewhere?

It's definitely left Durham a few weeks ago.

tyresmoke
13 Jan 2014, 2:21 pm #47

(13 Jan 2014, 2:19 pm)aureolin Has anyone seen the Versa demonstrater lately? Or has it gone elsewhere?

It's definitely left Durham a few weeks ago.

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Jan 2014, 4:04 pm #48

Was only here for a week. Rather pointless demonstration really, when drivers were on familiarisation for 2-3 days of that week.
Dan
13 Jan 2014, 4:04 pm #48

Was only here for a week. Rather pointless demonstration really, when drivers were on familiarisation for 2-3 days of that week.

Kuyoyo

13 Jan 2014, 4:10 pm #49
(13 Jan 2014, 4:04 pm)Dan Was only here for a week. Rather pointless demonstration really, when drivers were on familiarisation for 2-3 days of that week.

Was here a fornight - a week on familiarisation and the second week in service.
Kuyoyo
13 Jan 2014, 4:10 pm #49

(13 Jan 2014, 4:04 pm)Dan Was only here for a week. Rather pointless demonstration really, when drivers were on familiarisation for 2-3 days of that week.

Was here a fornight - a week on familiarisation and the second week in service.

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Jan 2014, 4:13 pm #50
(13 Jan 2014, 4:10 pm)Kuyoyo Was here a fornight - a week on familiarisation and the second week in service.

Must have only been in service for five days of that second week?
Dan
13 Jan 2014, 4:13 pm #50

(13 Jan 2014, 4:10 pm)Kuyoyo Was here a fornight - a week on familiarisation and the second week in service.

Must have only been in service for five days of that second week?

tyresmoke

13 Jan 2014, 4:19 pm #51
Was more or less a 2 week stint yeah. Spent most of its time on 64s but was also used on 49s at one point.

tyresmoke
13 Jan 2014, 4:19 pm #51

Was more or less a 2 week stint yeah. Spent most of its time on 64s but was also used on 49s at one point.

Adrian

13 Jan 2014, 6:09 pm #52
(13 Jan 2014, 4:19 pm)tyresmoke Was more or less a 2 week stint yeah. Spent most of its time on 64s but was also used on 49s at one point.

Bit gutted I missed it! Has it remained with Arriva elsewhere? Or back to Optare. Seems a bit pointless only having it for such a short time, when it could have been trialled over a number of routes.

Adrian
13 Jan 2014, 6:09 pm #52

(13 Jan 2014, 4:19 pm)tyresmoke Was more or less a 2 week stint yeah. Spent most of its time on 64s but was also used on 49s at one point.

Bit gutted I missed it! Has it remained with Arriva elsewhere? Or back to Optare. Seems a bit pointless only having it for such a short time, when it could have been trialled over a number of routes.

tyresmoke

13 Jan 2014, 6:12 pm #53
(13 Jan 2014, 6:09 pm)aureolin Bit gutted I missed it! Has it remained with Arriva elsewhere? Or back to Optare. Seems a bit pointless only having it for such a short time, when it could have been trialled over a number of routes.

Was recently with Courtney Coaches in Berkshire for a 2 week period so I assume Optare are loaning it out on short demonstration periods.

tyresmoke
13 Jan 2014, 6:12 pm #53

(13 Jan 2014, 6:09 pm)aureolin Bit gutted I missed it! Has it remained with Arriva elsewhere? Or back to Optare. Seems a bit pointless only having it for such a short time, when it could have been trialled over a number of routes.

Was recently with Courtney Coaches in Berkshire for a 2 week period so I assume Optare are loaning it out on short demonstration periods.

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Jan 2014, 6:17 pm #54

If I am correct, the bus arrived around the date of Wednesday 4th December 2013.
I went out for it on Saturday 14th, and it wasn't out - guessing it was either off while being prepped to return or it had already left.

It's not as if Arriva can actually get a good idea for how the bus performed in just a few days either... I'm sure there were some faults with the Streetlite Max demonstrator vehicle GNE had which developed after a few months in service. How do Arriva know the Versa won't have troubles after a few months?

Now with "Courtney Buses" (again for a two week trial period) as seen here.

EDIT: Ooops, Scott beat me to it!
Dan
13 Jan 2014, 6:17 pm #54

If I am correct, the bus arrived around the date of Wednesday 4th December 2013.
I went out for it on Saturday 14th, and it wasn't out - guessing it was either off while being prepped to return or it had already left.

It's not as if Arriva can actually get a good idea for how the bus performed in just a few days either... I'm sure there were some faults with the Streetlite Max demonstrator vehicle GNE had which developed after a few months in service. How do Arriva know the Versa won't have troubles after a few months?

tyresmoke

13 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm #55
(13 Jan 2014, 6:17 pm)Dan If I am correct, the bus arrived around the date of Wednesday 4th December 2013.

Arriva will have a good idea from operating Optare Versa's in other parts of the country though. Let's not forget its not the first Versa that ANE have had on demonstration in recent times either... YJ57EHU was the last one, now with TM Travel (though recently toasted!).

tyresmoke
13 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm #55

(13 Jan 2014, 6:17 pm)Dan If I am correct, the bus arrived around the date of Wednesday 4th December 2013.

Arriva will have a good idea from operating Optare Versa's in other parts of the country though. Let's not forget its not the first Versa that ANE have had on demonstration in recent times either... YJ57EHU was the last one, now with TM Travel (though recently toasted!).

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Jan 2014, 6:25 pm #56
(13 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm)tyresmoke Arriva will have a good idea from operating Optare Versa's in other parts of the country though. Let's not forget its not the first Versa that ANE have had on demonstration in recent times either... YJ57EHU was the last one, now with TM Travel (though recently toasted!).

Got nothing on having it on frontline service in Durham though.

The Versa and Streetlite Max GNE had on demonstration are going around all GA operators for slightly longer durations than normal demonstrations.

Plymouth Citybus can hardly make a decision based on GNE's trial - their services are nothing like GNE's 44, 58 etc.
Dan
13 Jan 2014, 6:25 pm #56

(13 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm)tyresmoke Arriva will have a good idea from operating Optare Versa's in other parts of the country though. Let's not forget its not the first Versa that ANE have had on demonstration in recent times either... YJ57EHU was the last one, now with TM Travel (though recently toasted!).

Got nothing on having it on frontline service in Durham though.

The Versa and Streetlite Max GNE had on demonstration are going around all GA operators for slightly longer durations than normal demonstrations.

Plymouth Citybus can hardly make a decision based on GNE's trial - their services are nothing like GNE's 44, 58 etc.

tyresmoke

13 Jan 2014, 6:27 pm #57
(13 Jan 2014, 6:25 pm)Dan Got nothing on having it on frontline service in Durham though.

It's not very often you get buses on long term demonstration though in the true meaning of demonstrators... The Brighton B5 didn't spend long on the Angel, nor did the E400 on the X1 Dodgy

tyresmoke
13 Jan 2014, 6:27 pm #57

(13 Jan 2014, 6:25 pm)Dan Got nothing on having it on frontline service in Durham though.

It's not very often you get buses on long term demonstration though in the true meaning of demonstrators... The Brighton B5 didn't spend long on the Angel, nor did the E400 on the X1 Dodgy

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Jan 2014, 6:33 pm #58
(13 Jan 2014, 6:27 pm)tyresmoke It's not very often you get buses on long term demonstration though in the true meaning of demonstrators... The Brighton B5 didn't spend long on the Angel, nor did the E400 on the X1 Dodgy

The Brighton B5 wasn't actually for demonstration purposes, was it? Merely driver familiarisation? Could be wrong as it's before my time as a photographer.

As for the E400 on the X1, well that wasn't a demonstrator apparently (which we discussed a few weeks ago). A loan to cover for Geminis being fixed up at Volvo.
Dan
13 Jan 2014, 6:33 pm #58

(13 Jan 2014, 6:27 pm)tyresmoke It's not very often you get buses on long term demonstration though in the true meaning of demonstrators... The Brighton B5 didn't spend long on the Angel, nor did the E400 on the X1 Dodgy

The Brighton B5 wasn't actually for demonstration purposes, was it? Merely driver familiarisation? Could be wrong as it's before my time as a photographer.

As for the E400 on the X1, well that wasn't a demonstrator apparently (which we discussed a few weeks ago). A loan to cover for Geminis being fixed up at Volvo.

buznut

13 Jan 2014, 8:08 pm #59
Am i right in saying Darlington's fleet are all single floor buses.I remember a recent news item of a E400 getting wedged under the cornmill shopping centre!Are their any suitable routes that have the demand.The recent sapphire's purchases would have been nice if split between pulsar and gemini operation!
buznut
13 Jan 2014, 8:08 pm #59

Am i right in saying Darlington's fleet are all single floor buses.I remember a recent news item of a E400 getting wedged under the cornmill shopping centre!Are their any suitable routes that have the demand.The recent sapphire's purchases would have been nice if split between pulsar and gemini operation!

Pages (11) Previous 1 2 3 411 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average