Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (14) Previous 112 13 14
Adrian

27 Feb 2014, 6:33 pm #261
(27 Feb 2014, 6:19 pm)Roland Pratt As well as greedy local authorities to blame for decimating services we also have the EU and the politically correct DDA lobby who between them have constantly changed the specs of buses to please the vociforous minority* who insist on wheelchairs being allowed on all local services, and the tree huggers. Between them they have caused the cost of buying operating buses to spiral out of control with the result that far from improving the network for the disabled it has decimated it for everyone.

*at first they wanted split entrances, then they u turned and wanted wide low entrances, then even when they get 100% wheelchair accessible they are still not satisfied.

The DDA was repealed in 2010 and replaced with the Equality Act. I don't think you can say that this only pleases the minority? Appreciate that requirements have changed dramatically over the past 20 years or so, but such legislation is vital to ensure that we progress forward in maximising social inclusion.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
27 Feb 2014, 6:33 pm #261

(27 Feb 2014, 6:19 pm)Roland Pratt As well as greedy local authorities to blame for decimating services we also have the EU and the politically correct DDA lobby who between them have constantly changed the specs of buses to please the vociforous minority* who insist on wheelchairs being allowed on all local services, and the tree huggers. Between them they have caused the cost of buying operating buses to spiral out of control with the result that far from improving the network for the disabled it has decimated it for everyone.

*at first they wanted split entrances, then they u turned and wanted wide low entrances, then even when they get 100% wheelchair accessible they are still not satisfied.

The DDA was repealed in 2010 and replaced with the Equality Act. I don't think you can say that this only pleases the minority? Appreciate that requirements have changed dramatically over the past 20 years or so, but such legislation is vital to ensure that we progress forward in maximising social inclusion.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Kuyoyo

27 Feb 2014, 6:39 pm #262
(27 Feb 2014, 6:03 pm)Roland Pratt That's what he said!

No, he said contact the driver on the bus in-front using radios - which they can't do!

(27 Feb 2014, 6:03 pm)Roland Pratt When does it start? Is it same days of operation as Moorsbus used to be?

It starts on Easter Sunday (20th April) and runs Sundays and Bank Holidays until the 19th October. And yes, it will be operated by Darlington depot as per the last 2 years - using the dedicated team of 3 or so drivers it has done previous (some of whom also worked the Moorsbus network).
Kuyoyo
27 Feb 2014, 6:39 pm #262

(27 Feb 2014, 6:03 pm)Roland Pratt That's what he said!

No, he said contact the driver on the bus in-front using radios - which they can't do!

(27 Feb 2014, 6:03 pm)Roland Pratt When does it start? Is it same days of operation as Moorsbus used to be?

It starts on Easter Sunday (20th April) and runs Sundays and Bank Holidays until the 19th October. And yes, it will be operated by Darlington depot as per the last 2 years - using the dedicated team of 3 or so drivers it has done previous (some of whom also worked the Moorsbus network).

Kuyoyo

27 Feb 2014, 6:40 pm #263
New timetables are now available online for upcoming changes

Newcastle, North Tyneside and South East Northumberland Changes Sunday 23rd March 2014

Teesside's final change for the year - Stockton service 6 from Monday 31st March 2014 (the day before the withdrawal of the council funding

(27 Feb 2014, 5:10 pm)aureolin So for the X4, we'll have sapphire spec Streetlites? If so seems a bit of an irrational decision. Budget midi buses on what's meant to be the 'gold standard' of Arriva?

I wouldn't say the Streetlite Max is a midibus, considering they are 11.7m long while Pulsars are 11.9m so both are classed more as full size lightweight vehicles.
Edited 27 Feb 2014, 7:11 pm by Kuyoyo.
Kuyoyo
27 Feb 2014, 6:40 pm #263

New timetables are now available online for upcoming changes

Newcastle, North Tyneside and South East Northumberland Changes Sunday 23rd March 2014

Teesside's final change for the year - Stockton service 6 from Monday 31st March 2014 (the day before the withdrawal of the council funding

(27 Feb 2014, 5:10 pm)aureolin So for the X4, we'll have sapphire spec Streetlites? If so seems a bit of an irrational decision. Budget midi buses on what's meant to be the 'gold standard' of Arriva?

I wouldn't say the Streetlite Max is a midibus, considering they are 11.7m long while Pulsars are 11.9m so both are classed more as full size lightweight vehicles.

Kuyoyo

27 Feb 2014, 9:02 pm #264
(27 Feb 2014, 6:35 am)Dan The 23 really doesn't require anything bigger than a Solo (just refer to previous posts in regards to the poor passenger numbers). Buying the bigger version, which would be more expensive, would be the cherry on the cake for how idiotic this investment is.

I had originally thought (admittedly without referring to timetables) that Pulsar operation would allow the 23/24 to interwork at Sunderland and driver changeovers could occur in Durham for greater convenience to the company, but if Streetlites are going ahead then this won't be possible. Combined with the cascades to allow for Dart withdrawal, assuming service 23 is one of the better performing Solo routes, I could manage to comprehend the decision-making.

Still plenty of time for the decision to change again... Huh

Only replying now 'cos I've only just noticed this

Very much impossible to do without a major re-write of the timetables or the additional of an extra bus into the schedule to allow for long layovers at Park Lane. You could swap the 23/24 departure times from Sunderland without then adding interworking with the 22 (and that would mean re-re-routing the 23 back to the Marina in Hartlepool) to keep the basic 15 minutes frequency from Peterlee to Hartlepool, Sunderland and Durham on the 3 routes.
Kuyoyo
27 Feb 2014, 9:02 pm #264

(27 Feb 2014, 6:35 am)Dan The 23 really doesn't require anything bigger than a Solo (just refer to previous posts in regards to the poor passenger numbers). Buying the bigger version, which would be more expensive, would be the cherry on the cake for how idiotic this investment is.

I had originally thought (admittedly without referring to timetables) that Pulsar operation would allow the 23/24 to interwork at Sunderland and driver changeovers could occur in Durham for greater convenience to the company, but if Streetlites are going ahead then this won't be possible. Combined with the cascades to allow for Dart withdrawal, assuming service 23 is one of the better performing Solo routes, I could manage to comprehend the decision-making.

Still plenty of time for the decision to change again... Huh

Only replying now 'cos I've only just noticed this

Very much impossible to do without a major re-write of the timetables or the additional of an extra bus into the schedule to allow for long layovers at Park Lane. You could swap the 23/24 departure times from Sunderland without then adding interworking with the 22 (and that would mean re-re-routing the 23 back to the Marina in Hartlepool) to keep the basic 15 minutes frequency from Peterlee to Hartlepool, Sunderland and Durham on the 3 routes.

tyresmoke

27 Feb 2014, 9:15 pm #265
(27 Feb 2014, 9:02 pm)Kuyoyo Only replying now 'cos I've only just noticed this

Not to mention cutting it very fine on driving hours doing a 23 and 24. This is the main reason why this currently doesn't happen.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
27 Feb 2014, 9:15 pm #265

(27 Feb 2014, 9:02 pm)Kuyoyo Only replying now 'cos I've only just noticed this

Not to mention cutting it very fine on driving hours doing a 23 and 24. This is the main reason why this currently doesn't happen.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Dan

Site Administrator

28 Feb 2014, 4:49 pm #266
1764 is the most recent repaint into the new livery.
Dan
28 Feb 2014, 4:49 pm #266

1764 is the most recent repaint into the new livery.

coldav

28 Feb 2014, 6:58 pm #267
The new depot at Ashington opens tomorrow (Saturday 1 March).

Seen at Ashington today were driver trainers 9990 at the old depot and 9991 at the new depot.
coldav
28 Feb 2014, 6:58 pm #267

The new depot at Ashington opens tomorrow (Saturday 1 March).

Seen at Ashington today were driver trainers 9990 at the old depot and 9991 at the new depot.

Dan

Site Administrator

28 Feb 2014, 7:18 pm #268
Arriva North East fleet list updated.

Think I've covered everything reported on the forum and on the allocation sheet... Give me a shout if you find something that has not been reported!
Dan
28 Feb 2014, 7:18 pm #268

Arriva North East fleet list updated.

Think I've covered everything reported on the forum and on the allocation sheet... Give me a shout if you find something that has not been reported!

Pages (14) Previous 112 13 14

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average