Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (22) Previous 1 2 3 422 Next
tyresmoke

02 Apr 2014, 9:06 pm #41
(02 Apr 2014, 8:48 pm)robisdave15 Whoops! Didn't think through the tacho thing did I? Yes I know the X93 is operated by Whitby/Redcar (sadly as far as Redcar are concerned), end of the day it!s an Arriva service and all this depit accountability gets wearing!

Stockton did cover an X93 as far as Guisborough last summer using a spare vehicle/driver but (as far as I know) it only happened once, and it was met at Guisborough by a decker to continue the journey to Scarborough.

The X93 will be 8 vehicles this summer, with most journeys running to a standard clockface timetable from both ends as far I am aware, for the majority of the day.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
02 Apr 2014, 9:06 pm #41

(02 Apr 2014, 8:48 pm)robisdave15 Whoops! Didn't think through the tacho thing did I? Yes I know the X93 is operated by Whitby/Redcar (sadly as far as Redcar are concerned), end of the day it!s an Arriva service and all this depit accountability gets wearing!

Stockton did cover an X93 as far as Guisborough last summer using a spare vehicle/driver but (as far as I know) it only happened once, and it was met at Guisborough by a decker to continue the journey to Scarborough.

The X93 will be 8 vehicles this summer, with most journeys running to a standard clockface timetable from both ends as far I am aware, for the majority of the day.

02 Apr 2014, 9:19 pm #42
You see then that it can, and more importantly, should be done, irregardless of the tacho issue. I''ve known times, and only recently, when I've been waiting at MBS to travel home and it's being announced that certain X93 trips will operate due to breakdowns, the only advice being offered is to wait for the next service. I know it's not easy/practical to conjure up a replacement bus/driver but for a service like the X93 I think it's something that should be considered.
robisdave15
02 Apr 2014, 9:19 pm #42

You see then that it can, and more importantly, should be done, irregardless of the tacho issue. I''ve known times, and only recently, when I've been waiting at MBS to travel home and it's being announced that certain X93 trips will operate due to breakdowns, the only advice being offered is to wait for the next service. I know it's not easy/practical to conjure up a replacement bus/driver but for a service like the X93 I think it's something that should be considered.

Andreos1

02 Apr 2014, 9:24 pm #43
(02 Apr 2014, 9:19 pm)robisdave15 You see then that it can, and more importantly, should be done, irregardless of the tacho issue. I''ve known times, and only recently, when I've been waiting at MBS to travel home and it's being announced that certain X93 trips will operate due to breakdowns, the only advice being offered is to wait for the next service. I know it's not easy/practical to conjure up a replacement bus/driver but for a service like the X93 I think it's something that should be considered.

and that is the sole reason I have never used the service.
Imagine being stuck at the other end, because a bus hasn't turned up due to a breakdown or drivers hours issues?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
02 Apr 2014, 9:24 pm #43

(02 Apr 2014, 9:19 pm)robisdave15 You see then that it can, and more importantly, should be done, irregardless of the tacho issue. I''ve known times, and only recently, when I've been waiting at MBS to travel home and it's being announced that certain X93 trips will operate due to breakdowns, the only advice being offered is to wait for the next service. I know it's not easy/practical to conjure up a replacement bus/driver but for a service like the X93 I think it's something that should be considered.

and that is the sole reason I have never used the service.
Imagine being stuck at the other end, because a bus hasn't turned up due to a breakdown or drivers hours issues?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

tyresmoke

02 Apr 2014, 9:40 pm #44

Stockton don't have any buses with calibrated tacho's and nor do we have drivers on EU hours and therefore any spare vehicle/driver would have to come from Redcar to cover a full length journey. Stockton can cover to Guisborough to meet a replacement vehicle as stated this can and does happen if need be. All depends on Stockton having spare capacity though. Redcar/Whitby provide a spare vehicle/driver in Middlesbrough now anyway so there shouldn't be many issues.

tyresmoke
02 Apr 2014, 9:40 pm #44

Stockton don't have any buses with calibrated tacho's and nor do we have drivers on EU hours and therefore any spare vehicle/driver would have to come from Redcar to cover a full length journey. Stockton can cover to Guisborough to meet a replacement vehicle as stated this can and does happen if need be. All depends on Stockton having spare capacity though. Redcar/Whitby provide a spare vehicle/driver in Middlesbrough now anyway so there shouldn't be many issues.

02 Apr 2014, 9:44 pm #45
Just the point I'm making? There are some shocking things I've heard and witnessed. There!'s the hanging around at MBS when services fail and nobody can be bothered to sort anything; there are the hours spent at the roadside between Scarborough and Whitby while the fitters travel out from Redcar; vehicles that can scarcely climb out of Robin Hoods Bay...it's not fantasy or a moan, you just have to travel on the service, speak to the passengers and drivers, who I hasten to add, do an admirable job all things considered. Promote the service? That's easy? Get some vehicles that can make it from A to B and do it regularly!!
robisdave15
02 Apr 2014, 9:44 pm #45

Just the point I'm making? There are some shocking things I've heard and witnessed. There!'s the hanging around at MBS when services fail and nobody can be bothered to sort anything; there are the hours spent at the roadside between Scarborough and Whitby while the fitters travel out from Redcar; vehicles that can scarcely climb out of Robin Hoods Bay...it's not fantasy or a moan, you just have to travel on the service, speak to the passengers and drivers, who I hasten to add, do an admirable job all things considered. Promote the service? That's easy? Get some vehicles that can make it from A to B and do it regularly!!

tyresmoke

02 Apr 2014, 10:24 pm #46
(02 Apr 2014, 9:44 pm)robisdave15 Just the point I'm making? There are some shocking things I've heard and witnessed. There!'s the hanging around at MBS when services fail and nobody can be bothered to sort anything; there are the hours spent at the roadside between Scarborough and Whitby while the fitters travel out from Redcar; vehicles that can scarcely climb out of Robin Hoods Bay...it's not fantasy or a moan, you just have to travel on the service, speak to the passengers and drivers, who I hasten to add, do an admirable job all things considered. Promote the service? That's easy? Get some vehicles that can make it from A to B and do it regularly!!

Couldn't agree more, which obviously everyone is hoping the vehicles will be sorted before the summer kicks off this year. Obviously we're still in the testing phase as we go towards Easter so they need to hurry up.

tyresmoke
02 Apr 2014, 10:24 pm #46

(02 Apr 2014, 9:44 pm)robisdave15 Just the point I'm making? There are some shocking things I've heard and witnessed. There!'s the hanging around at MBS when services fail and nobody can be bothered to sort anything; there are the hours spent at the roadside between Scarborough and Whitby while the fitters travel out from Redcar; vehicles that can scarcely climb out of Robin Hoods Bay...it's not fantasy or a moan, you just have to travel on the service, speak to the passengers and drivers, who I hasten to add, do an admirable job all things considered. Promote the service? That's easy? Get some vehicles that can make it from A to B and do it regularly!!

Couldn't agree more, which obviously everyone is hoping the vehicles will be sorted before the summer kicks off this year. Obviously we're still in the testing phase as we go towards Easter so they need to hurry up.

02 Apr 2014, 10:36 pm #47
Afraid I can't share your confidence Scott. Been there / done that / sat by the roadside, waited at the bus stop to often! Anything Redcar are involved with must be treat with contempt. Sorry to be negative.
robisdave15
02 Apr 2014, 10:36 pm #47

Afraid I can't share your confidence Scott. Been there / done that / sat by the roadside, waited at the bus stop to often! Anything Redcar are involved with must be treat with contempt. Sorry to be negative.

upt50k

03 Apr 2014, 8:04 am #48
The Omnis pull well but the Polish bodywork rattles a lot and the door opening and closing can be slow and also some problems with emergency open/close. These should be the things that should be looked at when re furbed But I cannot see it happening. Also does anyone Know if the re seating of the Temsas is still going ahead
upt50k
03 Apr 2014, 8:04 am #48

The Omnis pull well but the Polish bodywork rattles a lot and the door opening and closing can be slow and also some problems with emergency open/close. These should be the things that should be looked at when re furbed But I cannot see it happening. Also does anyone Know if the re seating of the Temsas is still going ahead

03 Apr 2014, 8:37 am #49
Far as I've heard the plan for re-seating the Temsas has been shelved, a shame in a way because 4720 is in fine form on the X93 this morning,
robisdave15
03 Apr 2014, 8:37 am #49

Far as I've heard the plan for re-seating the Temsas has been shelved, a shame in a way because 4720 is in fine form on the X93 this morning,

tyresmoke

03 Apr 2014, 9:05 am #50
(03 Apr 2014, 8:04 am)upt50k The Omnis pull well but the Polish bodywork rattles a lot and the door opening and closing can be slow and also some problems with emergency open/close. These should be the things that should be looked at when re furbed But I cannot see it happening. Also does anyone Know if the re seating of the Temsas is still going ahead

You're spot on there, the Omnis are superb to drive though I know quite a few drivers who don't like them?! I had one on 15s on Tuesday after my Pulsar developed a fault and the doors were far too slow for a town route like that, but they're great on the 5s which we tend to use them on.

As said the re-seating of the Temsas was found to be too awkward and therefore expensive - owing to the way they're anchored I believe

tyresmoke
03 Apr 2014, 9:05 am #50

(03 Apr 2014, 8:04 am)upt50k The Omnis pull well but the Polish bodywork rattles a lot and the door opening and closing can be slow and also some problems with emergency open/close. These should be the things that should be looked at when re furbed But I cannot see it happening. Also does anyone Know if the re seating of the Temsas is still going ahead

You're spot on there, the Omnis are superb to drive though I know quite a few drivers who don't like them?! I had one on 15s on Tuesday after my Pulsar developed a fault and the doors were far too slow for a town route like that, but they're great on the 5s which we tend to use them on.

As said the re-seating of the Temsas was found to be too awkward and therefore expensive - owing to the way they're anchored I believe

03 Apr 2014, 11:52 am #51
(02 Apr 2014, 8:28 pm)robisdave15 I know I'm in Arriva land here but just have to compare the TTX X9/10 and now X7 against the X93? Yes the TTX struggled for somewhere but has established itself and the promotion/reliability afforded to the services by GNE is now being rewarded; investment in the B9TL's was a masterstroke. Here on the X93 it would be a risk to seriously promote the service has it has suffered for years with a mish mash of vehicles, inappropriate or otherwise; not only that the majority of services on the route are operated by vehicles based and maintained at s depot some 20 miles away from the principal operating area. When we have vehicles operating on the route as reliable as what they are, sitting at the roadside on some desolate roadside waiting for a replacement vehicle/engineer to turn out is not really the best advertisement!
Then we had, or have the overcrowding issues to deal with? Again not the best way of promoting a service by shoehorning passengers on to an elderly Prestige or even worse, MOD! Why the management at Arriva take the attitude "we can't run extra vehicles", beats me; then there is the other attitude of not being able to provide replacement vehicles to cover breakdowns? Just take a bus of the 27's, not really gonna be missed, surely?
Now we're about to start the new peak season with a collection of vehicles that are already proving to be unreliable....!

Totally agree.
Roland Pratt
03 Apr 2014, 11:52 am #51

(02 Apr 2014, 8:28 pm)robisdave15 I know I'm in Arriva land here but just have to compare the TTX X9/10 and now X7 against the X93? Yes the TTX struggled for somewhere but has established itself and the promotion/reliability afforded to the services by GNE is now being rewarded; investment in the B9TL's was a masterstroke. Here on the X93 it would be a risk to seriously promote the service has it has suffered for years with a mish mash of vehicles, inappropriate or otherwise; not only that the majority of services on the route are operated by vehicles based and maintained at s depot some 20 miles away from the principal operating area. When we have vehicles operating on the route as reliable as what they are, sitting at the roadside on some desolate roadside waiting for a replacement vehicle/engineer to turn out is not really the best advertisement!
Then we had, or have the overcrowding issues to deal with? Again not the best way of promoting a service by shoehorning passengers on to an elderly Prestige or even worse, MOD! Why the management at Arriva take the attitude "we can't run extra vehicles", beats me; then there is the other attitude of not being able to provide replacement vehicles to cover breakdowns? Just take a bus of the 27's, not really gonna be missed, surely?
Now we're about to start the new peak season with a collection of vehicles that are already proving to be unreliable....!

Totally agree.

03 Apr 2014, 12:27 pm #52
Going back to what Scott said about the Ommnis, probably one of the best vehicles that we've had and how certain drivers can dislike them takes a bit of believing but is understandable given I use "Stockton" driven services quite a lot!
The Pulsars are good and well suited to the work they do; gonna be interresting to see just what the Streetlires are like and how they perform?
Can't comment on anything Redcar might be up to today? Came into 'Boro on a fit 4720/X93 this morning but think that was more down to the driver than the vehicle?
robisdave15
03 Apr 2014, 12:27 pm #52

Going back to what Scott said about the Ommnis, probably one of the best vehicles that we've had and how certain drivers can dislike them takes a bit of believing but is understandable given I use "Stockton" driven services quite a lot!
The Pulsars are good and well suited to the work they do; gonna be interresting to see just what the Streetlires are like and how they perform?
Can't comment on anything Redcar might be up to today? Came into 'Boro on a fit 4720/X93 this morning but think that was more down to the driver than the vehicle?

Jimmi

04 Apr 2014, 5:43 pm #54
Today on VOSA.

PB0002032/252 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Variation Accepted: Operating between Blyth and Newcastle given service number X5 effective from 25-May-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

PB0002032/333 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Thropton and Morpeth given service number 14 effective from 20-Apr-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

PB0002032/447 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Variation Accepted: Operating between Newcastle and Belford given service number X16 effective from 24-May-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

PB0002717/54 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Darlington and Barnard Castle given service number 76A/75/76 effective from 12-May-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

(Extra journey for One Direction gig)

PB0002717/365 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Stadium Of Light
Finish Point: Durham
Via:
Service Number: 24
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 28-MAY-2014
Other Details: one off journey which will leave 30 minutes after the end of the concert and may run later than shown
Edited 04 Apr 2014, 5:45 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
04 Apr 2014, 5:43 pm #54

Today on VOSA.

PB0002032/252 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Variation Accepted: Operating between Blyth and Newcastle given service number X5 effective from 25-May-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

PB0002032/333 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Thropton and Morpeth given service number 14 effective from 20-Apr-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

PB0002032/447 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Variation Accepted: Operating between Newcastle and Belford given service number X16 effective from 24-May-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

PB0002717/54 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Darlington and Barnard Castle given service number 76A/75/76 effective from 12-May-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

(Extra journey for One Direction gig)

PB0002717/365 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Stadium Of Light
Finish Point: Durham
Via:
Service Number: 24
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 28-MAY-2014
Other Details: one off journey which will leave 30 minutes after the end of the concert and may run later than shown

04 Apr 2014, 8:33 pm #55
Seen that the "enhanced" services on the X93 are being promoted on the buses now? Wonder just what these are going to be?
robisdave15
04 Apr 2014, 8:33 pm #55

Seen that the "enhanced" services on the X93 are being promoted on the buses now? Wonder just what these are going to be?

04 Apr 2014, 8:39 pm #56
(04 Apr 2014, 8:33 pm)robisdave15 Seen that the "enhanced" services on the X93 are being promoted on the buses now? Wonder just what these are going to be?

Preferably buses that can actually handle the route for starters!
Davey Bowyer
04 Apr 2014, 8:39 pm #56

(04 Apr 2014, 8:33 pm)robisdave15 Seen that the "enhanced" services on the X93 are being promoted on the buses now? Wonder just what these are going to be?

Preferably buses that can actually handle the route for starters!

04 Apr 2014, 8:54 pm #57
Wanted to say that but thought it might cause a fuss? 7485/88 and 7494 have sent to Redcar for that reason but have spent more time VOR than on the road. Think we'll be on with Temsas again?
robisdave15
04 Apr 2014, 8:54 pm #57

Wanted to say that but thought it might cause a fuss? 7485/88 and 7494 have sent to Redcar for that reason but have spent more time VOR than on the road. Think we'll be on with Temsas again?

tyresmoke

04 Apr 2014, 8:57 pm #58
2 more Enviro 400s arriving tomorrow to help bolster the double deck allocation whilst these Volvo B7TLs are sorted out. I am told some are going back to Ashington to be run in properly. Might have been a good idea in the first place but hey what do we know, still they seem to have done alright on the 81....

tyresmoke
04 Apr 2014, 8:57 pm #58

2 more Enviro 400s arriving tomorrow to help bolster the double deck allocation whilst these Volvo B7TLs are sorted out. I am told some are going back to Ashington to be run in properly. Might have been a good idea in the first place but hey what do we know, still they seem to have done alright on the 81....

04 Apr 2014, 9:12 pm #59
Looking at the Northumbria orders according to PPT from Arriva, this is what is being invested in Ashington Depot this year:

- 5 new double deck buses for the X18 (B9TL which is unlikely or E400)
- 8 new double deck buses for the X21 and X22 (E400's with assumption of 7514 to 7521 also getting upgraded). That will be 14 plus 2 spare.
- 3 new single deck buses for service 35 (assuming VDL SB200 PULSAR 2)

Then what could happen as a result:

- 7505 to 09 and 7511 will upgrade the X14 and X20
- 55 reg coaches for the X15
- Three 57 reg lowlanders making the PVR upto 6 on the 35 and 35a. The best of 4 will act as a spare with 7530 and 7531 for the X18, X21 and X22.
- The two Spectras would be withdrawn and replaced by B10BLE'S or DAF DB250 ALX400'S or Lowlanders for the 30 and 34. Another 1 or 2 from the above would be allocated to the 100.
Davey Bowyer
04 Apr 2014, 9:12 pm #59

Looking at the Northumbria orders according to PPT from Arriva, this is what is being invested in Ashington Depot this year:

- 8 new double deck buses for the X21 and X22 (E400's with assumption of 7514 to 7521 also getting upgraded). That will be 14 plus 2 spare.

- Three 57 reg lowlanders making the PVR upto 6 on the 35 and 35a. The best of 4 will act as a spare with 7530 and 7531 for the X18, X21 and X22.
- The two Spectras would be withdrawn and replaced by B10BLE'S or DAF DB250 ALX400'S or Lowlanders for the 30 and 34. Another 1 or 2 from the above would be allocated to the 100.

Tom

04 Apr 2014, 9:14 pm #60
(04 Apr 2014, 9:12 pm)Davey Bowyer Looking at the Northumbria orders according to PPT from Arriva, this is what is being invested in Ashington Depot this year:

Streetlite more than likely - I wonder if Arriva will ever go for Versas or Citaros in the future?
Tom
04 Apr 2014, 9:14 pm #60

(04 Apr 2014, 9:12 pm)Davey Bowyer Looking at the Northumbria orders according to PPT from Arriva, this is what is being invested in Ashington Depot this year:

Streetlite more than likely - I wonder if Arriva will ever go for Versas or Citaros in the future?

Pages (22) Previous 1 2 3 422 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average