Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (18) Previous 1 2 318 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

02 Dec 2014, 6:00 pm #21
(02 Dec 2014, 5:25 pm)MarcTheA4 Mmm, not sure I could make Darlington with the plan I have prepare for this Saturday! Sad

Would have to be by train! - and I'm crap at navigating around in the dark!

'Tis a bit annoying for those of us enthusiasts who have work or educational priorities, meaning that we can't attend weekday daytime launches. It's something which has always annoyed me about Go North East's launches and other marketing stunts too, which are typically held on weekdays rather than weekends. Go North East has started to grasp onto the idea of appealing to a larger audience by having some of the marketing stunts during peak times or on weekends though - hopefully Arriva will follow suit in the near future... After all, it's not just enthusiasts who have work and educational priorities during the day time!

(02 Dec 2014, 5:34 pm)mb134 They're having to keep some of them on local routes too...  https://www.flickr.com/photos/arrivanort...273192463/

Not good!
Had to say something when I saw the photo, knowing how much DB loves ADL Enviro400s! Wink 
Admittedly, I had one of Ashington's normal ADL Enviro400s on service X20 at the weekend, and I thought it was fairly quick off the mark and handled the A1 decently.

(02 Dec 2014, 5:50 pm)mb134 When they are working, what are the Omnicities like? Are they suitable for the X15, power wise?
(I did have 4653 a couple of weeks back on an X18, but as it was an X18, there were no real opportunities to see anything power-wise, we were stuck in a long chain of traffic on the A1 from Berwick till the turn off)

I was blessed with an OmniCity or two on service X93 earlier this year, and it was such an improvement to the Volvo B7TLs currently allocated. They're full of power and handle the banks no bother. Capacity of OmniCitys is the only thing which worries me with the X15 though; whilst I appreciate they're being allocated to the 'quieter' runs, who is to say these runs will remain quiet and growth doesn't come due to the "MAX" impact?

Really was surprised to see Arriva go for the split allocation with the X15 - can't help but feel it adds unnecessary complexity to route costings, if nothing else...
Dan
02 Dec 2014, 6:00 pm #21

(02 Dec 2014, 5:25 pm)MarcTheA4 Mmm, not sure I could make Darlington with the plan I have prepare for this Saturday! Sad

Would have to be by train! - and I'm crap at navigating around in the dark!

'Tis a bit annoying for those of us enthusiasts who have work or educational priorities, meaning that we can't attend weekday daytime launches. It's something which has always annoyed me about Go North East's launches and other marketing stunts too, which are typically held on weekdays rather than weekends. Go North East has started to grasp onto the idea of appealing to a larger audience by having some of the marketing stunts during peak times or on weekends though - hopefully Arriva will follow suit in the near future... After all, it's not just enthusiasts who have work and educational priorities during the day time!

(02 Dec 2014, 5:34 pm)mb134 They're having to keep some of them on local routes too...  https://www.flickr.com/photos/arrivanort...273192463/

Not good!
Had to say something when I saw the photo, knowing how much DB loves ADL Enviro400s! Wink 
Admittedly, I had one of Ashington's normal ADL Enviro400s on service X20 at the weekend, and I thought it was fairly quick off the mark and handled the A1 decently.

(02 Dec 2014, 5:50 pm)mb134 When they are working, what are the Omnicities like? Are they suitable for the X15, power wise?
(I did have 4653 a couple of weeks back on an X18, but as it was an X18, there were no real opportunities to see anything power-wise, we were stuck in a long chain of traffic on the A1 from Berwick till the turn off)

I was blessed with an OmniCity or two on service X93 earlier this year, and it was such an improvement to the Volvo B7TLs currently allocated. They're full of power and handle the banks no bother. Capacity of OmniCitys is the only thing which worries me with the X15 though; whilst I appreciate they're being allocated to the 'quieter' runs, who is to say these runs will remain quiet and growth doesn't come due to the "MAX" impact?

Really was surprised to see Arriva go for the split allocation with the X15 - can't help but feel it adds unnecessary complexity to route costings, if nothing else...

mb134

02 Dec 2014, 6:20 pm #22
(02 Dec 2014, 6:00 pm)Dan 'Tis a bit annoying for those of us enthusiasts who have work or educational priorities, meaning that we can't attend weekday daytime launches. It's something which has always annoyed me about Go North East's launches and other marketing stunts too, which are typically held on weekdays rather than weekends. Go North East has started to grasp onto the idea of appealing to a larger audience by having some of the marketing stunts during peak times or on weekends though - hopefully Arriva will follow suit in the near future... After all, it's not just enthusiasts who have work and educational priorities during the day time!

Not good!

Think it depends which one you get, I remember having 7514 (before it's MAX refurb) and it was pretty quick, however I had 7515 a few weeks back and it was stupidly slow along the A1... However I remember about 2 years ago?? I was on 7410 through to Newcastle and it was overtaking everything along the A1, even a pretty new Blyth Gemini Wink

Sounds good with regard to the Omni's, just hope that Ashington use common sense when allocating them Tongue
mb134
02 Dec 2014, 6:20 pm #22

(02 Dec 2014, 6:00 pm)Dan 'Tis a bit annoying for those of us enthusiasts who have work or educational priorities, meaning that we can't attend weekday daytime launches. It's something which has always annoyed me about Go North East's launches and other marketing stunts too, which are typically held on weekdays rather than weekends. Go North East has started to grasp onto the idea of appealing to a larger audience by having some of the marketing stunts during peak times or on weekends though - hopefully Arriva will follow suit in the near future... After all, it's not just enthusiasts who have work and educational priorities during the day time!

Not good!

Think it depends which one you get, I remember having 7514 (before it's MAX refurb) and it was pretty quick, however I had 7515 a few weeks back and it was stupidly slow along the A1... However I remember about 2 years ago?? I was on 7410 through to Newcastle and it was overtaking everything along the A1, even a pretty new Blyth Gemini Wink

Sounds good with regard to the Omni's, just hope that Ashington use common sense when allocating them Tongue

tyresmoke

02 Dec 2014, 6:35 pm #23

If looked after properly they have plenty of power, the running gear underneath is almost to the standard of the Volvo B10 chassis' in my opinion, shame about the polish bodywork on the top, which just rattle endlessly. They should have no problem handling the X15 running up the A1 all day. Also worth mentioning that some Sunday services were converted to 418s which require a single deck vehicle, so I think the Omnis may work these too. If they were ever to need replacing on the X15 then I am sure we could find a home for them elsewhere, on other MAX routes.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
02 Dec 2014, 6:35 pm #23

If looked after properly they have plenty of power, the running gear underneath is almost to the standard of the Volvo B10 chassis' in my opinion, shame about the polish bodywork on the top, which just rattle endlessly. They should have no problem handling the X15 running up the A1 all day. Also worth mentioning that some Sunday services were converted to 418s which require a single deck vehicle, so I think the Omnis may work these too. If they were ever to need replacing on the X15 then I am sure we could find a home for them elsewhere, on other MAX routes.

Jimmi

02 Dec 2014, 8:00 pm #24
Problem is though some times will be okay for some people but not okay with other people, it is difficult to find ideal times for these publicly events, daytime launches will attract the elderly and anyone who is out shopping with many of the daytime launches being held in Market Places which could attract people doing their shopping to have a quick look at buses whilst they go about their business. Evening launches only really work if it is in the right place, for example when Arriva launched the 306 StreetLite's in Tynemouth on the seafront at around 5pm in autumn in the freezing cold not that many people where there and many of the people who did show up were us enthusiasts and the odd dog walkers so a pretty poor turn out. I think Saturday daytimes are probably the best to do these things but sometimes this is not possible, Arriva probably couldn't have done these MAX X66 launches on Saturday because of the market in Stockton on the High Street which means there is no where to put a bus there and pretty similar story for Darlington where there probably would normally be room for a launch on most Saturdays but with Christmas decorations and possibly some other stuff like a few rides in the Market Place in the run up to Christmas would prevent this happening.
Jimmi
02 Dec 2014, 8:00 pm #24

Problem is though some times will be okay for some people but not okay with other people, it is difficult to find ideal times for these publicly events, daytime launches will attract the elderly and anyone who is out shopping with many of the daytime launches being held in Market Places which could attract people doing their shopping to have a quick look at buses whilst they go about their business. Evening launches only really work if it is in the right place, for example when Arriva launched the 306 StreetLite's in Tynemouth on the seafront at around 5pm in autumn in the freezing cold not that many people where there and many of the people who did show up were us enthusiasts and the odd dog walkers so a pretty poor turn out. I think Saturday daytimes are probably the best to do these things but sometimes this is not possible, Arriva probably couldn't have done these MAX X66 launches on Saturday because of the market in Stockton on the High Street which means there is no where to put a bus there and pretty similar story for Darlington where there probably would normally be room for a launch on most Saturdays but with Christmas decorations and possibly some other stuff like a few rides in the Market Place in the run up to Christmas would prevent this happening.

tyresmoke

02 Dec 2014, 8:11 pm #25
Little bit of info from a wander round the yard this afternoon. Buses remaining at Stockton are
Back row: 1003, 4040, 4048, 1755, 4037
2nd row: 4069, 4038, 4030, 1756

Also, 1424 has transferred from Darlington to Durham

tyresmoke
02 Dec 2014, 8:11 pm #25

Little bit of info from a wander round the yard this afternoon. Buses remaining at Stockton are
Back row: 1003, 4040, 4048, 1755, 4037
2nd row: 4069, 4038, 4030, 1756

Also, 1424 has transferred from Darlington to Durham

mb134

02 Dec 2014, 8:15 pm #26
Was just thinking about what I posted earlier, with 7525's artwork behind the cab, should these not have been applied when the vehicles first entered service rather than waiting 4 months? The Pulsars gained theirs immediately didn't they?
mb134
02 Dec 2014, 8:15 pm #26

Was just thinking about what I posted earlier, with 7525's artwork behind the cab, should these not have been applied when the vehicles first entered service rather than waiting 4 months? The Pulsars gained theirs immediately didn't they?

Jimmi

02 Dec 2014, 8:23 pm #27
Probably should have been, but weren't maybe they there wasn't time to apply them before entering service or they may have only just been produced.

The Sapphire - 7 Pulsars had there's applied before entering service.
Jimmi
02 Dec 2014, 8:23 pm #27

Probably should have been, but weren't maybe they there wasn't time to apply them before entering service or they may have only just been produced.

mb134

02 Dec 2014, 8:38 pm #28
(02 Dec 2014, 8:23 pm)Jimmi Probably should have been, but weren't maybe they there wasn't time to apply them before entering service or they may have only just been produced.

Aye true, but surely they should have got them ready before launch and they could have been applied when the internal branding was done. 
I've just seen a picture on Flickr of 7524 and it looks like it's picture is also the Tyne Bridge, when zoomed in. Don't the Pulsars have bits from different parts of the route?
Do the Streetlites have artwork?
mb134
02 Dec 2014, 8:38 pm #28

(02 Dec 2014, 8:23 pm)Jimmi Probably should have been, but weren't maybe they there wasn't time to apply them before entering service or they may have only just been produced.

Aye true, but surely they should have got them ready before launch and they could have been applied when the internal branding was done. 
I've just seen a picture on Flickr of 7524 and it looks like it's picture is also the Tyne Bridge, when zoomed in. Don't the Pulsars have bits from different parts of the route?

Jimmi

02 Dec 2014, 8:45 pm #29

Sapphire - 7 Pulsars all have different landmarks and pretty much all of them are things in Darlington and Durham and one has the Steel Man in Aycliffe.

Non of the StreetLite's have any artwork and I don't think there is anywhere to really put them as the next stop announcement screens take up part of the bit behind the drivers cab.
Jimmi
02 Dec 2014, 8:45 pm #29

Sapphire - 7 Pulsars all have different landmarks and pretty much all of them are things in Darlington and Durham and one has the Steel Man in Aycliffe.

Non of the StreetLite's have any artwork and I don't think there is anywhere to really put them as the next stop announcement screens take up part of the bit behind the drivers cab.

tyresmoke

02 Dec 2014, 8:46 pm #30
(02 Dec 2014, 8:38 pm)mb134 Aye true, but surely they should have got them ready before launch and they could have been applied when the internal branding was done. 

Given Ashington took several weeks to complete the external branding, 7509 (I think it was?) went around in plain livery for the first few weeks, we shouldn't be surprised that they're just finishing off the interior now.

Sadly the Streetlites can't have it fitted due to the design of the cab wall, with the TV screen incorporated etc means there just isn't the space to put the pictures on, shame as I love the idea.

tyresmoke
02 Dec 2014, 8:46 pm #30

(02 Dec 2014, 8:38 pm)mb134 Aye true, but surely they should have got them ready before launch and they could have been applied when the internal branding was done. 

Given Ashington took several weeks to complete the external branding, 7509 (I think it was?) went around in plain livery for the first few weeks, we shouldn't be surprised that they're just finishing off the interior now.

Sadly the Streetlites can't have it fitted due to the design of the cab wall, with the TV screen incorporated etc means there just isn't the space to put the pictures on, shame as I love the idea.

mb134

02 Dec 2014, 8:47 pm #31
(02 Dec 2014, 8:45 pm)Jimmi Sapphire - 7 Pulsars all have different landmarks and pretty much all of them are things in Darlington and Durham and one has the Steel Man in Aycliffe.

Ah right okay Smile 
Yeah I suppose single deckers are a bit more limited in terms of where you can put the artwork, as with double deckers you have the stairs 
mb134
02 Dec 2014, 8:47 pm #31

(02 Dec 2014, 8:45 pm)Jimmi Sapphire - 7 Pulsars all have different landmarks and pretty much all of them are things in Darlington and Durham and one has the Steel Man in Aycliffe.

Ah right okay Smile 
Yeah I suppose single deckers are a bit more limited in terms of where you can put the artwork, as with double deckers you have the stairs 

L469 YVK

02 Dec 2014, 8:55 pm #32
I don't mind the E400 bodywork, I just don't like the ADL / Cummins chassis for express, rural and long distance work. That chassis is only designed for plodding around on routes like the 62, 63, 38, 39 and the 40. And it may be more fuel efficient for town and city operations on the flats but on hills and on high speed, the economy of the B9TL will match or even exceed a Cummins engined E400 as they operate at a lower RPM than the E400 at higher speeds and on steep climbs. This is what Arriva should've ordered going back to what somebody mentioned the other day:

Main Vehicles:
- 15x Sapphire Volvo B9TL Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 for the X21 / X22
- 10x MAX Volvo B9TL Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 for the X15 / X18

Pool Vehicles:
- 7453 to 7456 refurbished to MAX Specification for use on the X14 but with no specific X14 branding and could simply include the tagline 'Morpeth to Newcastle up to every 15 minutes for MAXIMUM service' . However, in the unlikely event that any of the 10 B9TL vehicles for the X15 / X18 went VOR, then these vehicles would be stepped up accordingly.

- The best of 7514 to 7521 refurbished to MAX Specification for use on the X20 but with the tagline 'fast and frequent from Ashington and Bedlington to Newcastle for MAXIMUM impact'. This would give a little bit of flexibility into allocating vehicles for the X20 / X21 / X22.

- The other 4 E400's just in plain Arriva livery but refurbished to MAX specification inside for use on services X14 / X20 / X21 / X22.

And something a little cheesy:

- All next stop announcements for X21 / X22 provided by Steve and Karen with them alternating every few stops. Most stops would simply just say "Next stop, "STOP NAME". However, for Ashington Bus Station, Bedlington Red Lion, Regent Centre, Gosforth High Street and Barras Bridge, they could say, "Next stop, "STOP NAME". Please ring the bell and remain seated until the bus stops".

And before joining the A1 at Seaton Burn or Gosforth Park, they could say, "This bus will soon be travelling at high speed. Please remain seated or if you're standing, hold onto the handrails".
L469 YVK
02 Dec 2014, 8:55 pm #32

I don't mind the E400 bodywork, I just don't like the ADL / Cummins chassis for express, rural and long distance work. That chassis is only designed for plodding around on routes like the 62, 63, 38, 39 and the 40. And it may be more fuel efficient for town and city operations on the flats but on hills and on high speed, the economy of the B9TL will match or even exceed a Cummins engined E400 as they operate at a lower RPM than the E400 at higher speeds and on steep climbs. This is what Arriva should've ordered going back to what somebody mentioned the other day:

Main Vehicles:

Pool Vehicles:
- 7453 to 7456 refurbished to MAX Specification for use on the X14 but with no specific X14 branding and could simply include the tagline 'Morpeth to Newcastle up to every 15 minutes for MAXIMUM service' . However, in the unlikely event that any of the 10 B9TL vehicles for the X15 / X18 went VOR, then these vehicles would be stepped up accordingly.

- The best of 7514 to 7521 refurbished to MAX Specification for use on the X20 but with the tagline 'fast and frequent from Ashington and Bedlington to Newcastle for MAXIMUM impact'. This would give a little bit of flexibility into allocating vehicles for the X20 / X21 / X22.

- The other 4 E400's just in plain Arriva livery but refurbished to MAX specification inside for use on services X14 / X20 / X21 / X22.

- All next stop announcements for X21 / X22 provided by Steve and Karen with them alternating every few stops. Most stops would simply just say "Next stop, "STOP NAME". However, for Ashington Bus Station, Bedlington Red Lion, Regent Centre, Gosforth High Street and Barras Bridge, they could say, "Next stop, "STOP NAME". Please ring the bell and remain seated until the bus stops".

And before joining the A1 at Seaton Burn or Gosforth Park, they could say, "This bus will soon be travelling at high speed. Please remain seated or if you're standing, hold onto the handrails".

L469 YVK

02 Dec 2014, 9:00 pm #33
And Arriva could even use Steve and Karen's ideas and play their own games such as Tombola of Doom to promote the service and give away a few prizes.

For example:

- Find out where all the 7 streets within the vicinity of the X21 / X22 route are and a winner will be picked at random
- Prize: Monthly three zone tripple ticket.
L469 YVK
02 Dec 2014, 9:00 pm #33

And Arriva could even use Steve and Karen's ideas and play their own games such as Tombola of Doom to promote the service and give away a few prizes.

For example:

- Find out where all the 7 streets within the vicinity of the X21 / X22 route are and a winner will be picked at random

Jimmi

02 Dec 2014, 9:07 pm #34
(02 Dec 2014, 8:55 pm)DaveyBowyer I don't mind the E400 bodywork, I just don't like the ADL / Cummins chassis for express, rural and long distance work. That chassis is only designed for plodding around on routes like the 62, 63, 38, 39 and the 40. And it may be more fuel efficient for town and city operations on the flats but on hills and on high speed, the economy of the B9TL will match or even exceed a Cummins engined E400 as they operate at a lower RPM than the E400 at higher speeds and on steep climbs. This is what Arriva should've ordered going back to what somebody mentioned the other day:

Main Vehicles:

Pool Vehicles:

I can't stand the Steve and Karen next stop announcements on GNE buses, I rode the TEN the other day from the MetroCentre to Newcastle and the one announcement I heard was enough to make my ears bleed, also I ignored them telling me to sit down by getting down the stairs just before we reached Eldon Square as it is safer to get down stairs whilst the bus is sat at a red light and stand then try and get down the stairs when it is moving or wait until it has stopped and try and barge past people trying to get on the bus.
Jimmi
02 Dec 2014, 9:07 pm #34

(02 Dec 2014, 8:55 pm)DaveyBowyer I don't mind the E400 bodywork, I just don't like the ADL / Cummins chassis for express, rural and long distance work. That chassis is only designed for plodding around on routes like the 62, 63, 38, 39 and the 40. And it may be more fuel efficient for town and city operations on the flats but on hills and on high speed, the economy of the B9TL will match or even exceed a Cummins engined E400 as they operate at a lower RPM than the E400 at higher speeds and on steep climbs. This is what Arriva should've ordered going back to what somebody mentioned the other day:

Main Vehicles:

Pool Vehicles:

I can't stand the Steve and Karen next stop announcements on GNE buses, I rode the TEN the other day from the MetroCentre to Newcastle and the one announcement I heard was enough to make my ears bleed, also I ignored them telling me to sit down by getting down the stairs just before we reached Eldon Square as it is safer to get down stairs whilst the bus is sat at a red light and stand then try and get down the stairs when it is moving or wait until it has stopped and try and barge past people trying to get on the bus.

02 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm #35
(02 Dec 2014, 9:00 pm)DaveyBowyer And Arriva could even use Steve and Karen's ideas and play their own games such as Tombola of Doom to promote the service and give away a few prizes.

For example:

I would play that! Wink
R852 PRG
02 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm #35

(02 Dec 2014, 9:00 pm)DaveyBowyer And Arriva could even use Steve and Karen's ideas and play their own games such as Tombola of Doom to promote the service and give away a few prizes.

For example:

I would play that! Wink

mb134

02 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm #36
Will the E400's for the 6&7 next year be MMC's?
mb134
02 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm #36

Will the E400's for the 6&7 next year be MMC's?

tyresmoke

02 Dec 2014, 9:22 pm #37
(02 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm)mb134 Will the E400's for the 6&7 next year be MMC's?

I don't think they will be, as they're due fairly soon (March/April time I think?)

tyresmoke
02 Dec 2014, 9:22 pm #37

(02 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm)mb134 Will the E400's for the 6&7 next year be MMC's?

I don't think they will be, as they're due fairly soon (March/April time I think?)

Scott

03 Dec 2014, 10:22 am #38
(02 Dec 2014, 9:22 pm)tyresmoke I don't think they will be, as they're due fairly soon (March/April time I think?)

They could be. So far Oxford Bus Company and Reading Buses have recived MMCs, with Stagecoach Machester next in line.

However, given that there is not that many first generation Enviro 400s in Arriva's fleet, then it would make more sense to have the older model for standardisation purposes.
Scott
03 Dec 2014, 10:22 am #38

(02 Dec 2014, 9:22 pm)tyresmoke I don't think they will be, as they're due fairly soon (March/April time I think?)

They could be. So far Oxford Bus Company and Reading Buses have recived MMCs, with Stagecoach Machester next in line.

However, given that there is not that many first generation Enviro 400s in Arriva's fleet, then it would make more sense to have the older model for standardisation purposes.

Jimmi

03 Dec 2014, 11:56 am #39
Darlington and Stockton MAX launches on Friday:

Stockton High Street (between The Shambles and Town Hall) from 11am

Darlington (Joseph Pease Place) from 3.30pm
Jimmi
03 Dec 2014, 11:56 am #39

Darlington and Stockton MAX launches on Friday:

Stockton High Street (between The Shambles and Town Hall) from 11am

Darlington (Joseph Pease Place) from 3.30pm

mb134

03 Dec 2014, 4:19 pm #40
Was on the Spine Road earlier today and noticed two MAX Omnicities following each other round the roundabout at the Bedlington/Bedlington Station turn off, nowhere near Thorntons or any depot, any ideas?
This turn off here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.138568...,15z?hl=en
Edited 03 Dec 2014, 4:20 pm by mb134.
mb134
03 Dec 2014, 4:19 pm #40

Was on the Spine Road earlier today and noticed two MAX Omnicities following each other round the roundabout at the Bedlington/Bedlington Station turn off, nowhere near Thorntons or any depot, any ideas?
This turn off here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.138568...,15z?hl=en

Pages (18) Previous 1 2 318 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average