Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Stagecoach North East Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (7) Previous 1 2 37 Next
Michael

12 Sep 2013, 9:44 am #21
Chat between drivers theirs a new bus in wheatchef depot

What he said to the driver coming off: theirs a new bus waiting for ya.

Anyone confirm?

Few weeks ago a friend said a trail gas bus was supposed to be coming
Edited 12 Sep 2013, 11:29 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
12 Sep 2013, 9:44 am #21

Chat between drivers theirs a new bus in wheatchef depot

What he said to the driver coming off: theirs a new bus waiting for ya.

Anyone confirm?

Few weeks ago a friend said a trail gas bus was supposed to be coming

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

12 Sep 2013, 1:55 pm #22
Had a quick walk past and cant see anything.. if their is something their.. it might be somewhere we cant see it.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
12 Sep 2013, 1:55 pm #22

Had a quick walk past and cant see anything.. if their is something their.. it might be somewhere we cant see it.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

13 Sep 2013, 11:08 am #23
Temporary suspension of bus stops along Fawcett Street Service Update
From Tuesday 17 September 2013, Clear Channel will be moving the three bus shelters at the southern end of Fawcett Street to new locations which are closer to the realigned kerbline.

Last Updated : 13 September 2013 11:23

The three bus stops in question are numbered (south to north, from Borough Road to Athenaeum Street as “S22”, “S21”, “S20”

These works will commence with “S22”, the bus shelter normally observed by Services 5/5A and 12, then move to “S21” the middle bus stop (served by Services 4 and 16). Then later in September, these works will move to “S20” the bus stop closest to the Athenaeum Street junction (normally served by routes 3 and 13).

Clear Channel plan to take around two days per shelter, unless they encounter difficulties underneath the footpath. We have been advised that only one bus stop/shelter will be out of commission at any one time.

* Whilst the works are at “S22”, the bottom stop:
Service 5/5A customers should use the next normal bus stop along the line of route (Athenaeum Street bus stop “S09” for Service 5, or Fawcett Street “S16” for Service 5A). Service 12 customers should use “S21”, the next stop up Fawcett Street, normally served by Services 4 and 16.

* Whilst the works are at “S21”, the middle stop:
Service 4 and 16 customers should use Fawcett Street stop “S22”, closer to Borough Road. This is the stop normally served by routes 5/5A and 12.

* Whilst the works are at “S20”, the stop closest to Athenaeum Street:
Service 3 and 13 customers should use Fawcett Street stop “S22”, closer to Borough Road. This is the stop normally served by routes 5/5A and 12.

To mitigate any potential issues with bus service congestion, northbound/ eastbound journeys on Services 3, 4, 5, 5A, 12, 13 and 16 will take some layover on Vine Place, and thus will not take “hesitation time” on Fawcett Street.

Clearly, whilst we will be continuing to liaise with our colleagues at Sunderland City Council and Clear Channel to mitigate any problems, there is the potential that some trips may be subject to localised delays.

Stagecoach would like to apologise for any inconvenience these works and temporary arrangements may cause, and we remain grateful for customers’ patience and understanding.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
13 Sep 2013, 11:08 am #23

Temporary suspension of bus stops along Fawcett Street Service Update
From Tuesday 17 September 2013, Clear Channel will be moving the three bus shelters at the southern end of Fawcett Street to new locations which are closer to the realigned kerbline.

Last Updated : 13 September 2013 11:23

The three bus stops in question are numbered (south to north, from Borough Road to Athenaeum Street as “S22”, “S21”, “S20”

These works will commence with “S22”, the bus shelter normally observed by Services 5/5A and 12, then move to “S21” the middle bus stop (served by Services 4 and 16). Then later in September, these works will move to “S20” the bus stop closest to the Athenaeum Street junction (normally served by routes 3 and 13).

Clear Channel plan to take around two days per shelter, unless they encounter difficulties underneath the footpath. We have been advised that only one bus stop/shelter will be out of commission at any one time.

* Whilst the works are at “S22”, the bottom stop:
Service 5/5A customers should use the next normal bus stop along the line of route (Athenaeum Street bus stop “S09” for Service 5, or Fawcett Street “S16” for Service 5A). Service 12 customers should use “S21”, the next stop up Fawcett Street, normally served by Services 4 and 16.

* Whilst the works are at “S21”, the middle stop:
Service 4 and 16 customers should use Fawcett Street stop “S22”, closer to Borough Road. This is the stop normally served by routes 5/5A and 12.

* Whilst the works are at “S20”, the stop closest to Athenaeum Street:
Service 3 and 13 customers should use Fawcett Street stop “S22”, closer to Borough Road. This is the stop normally served by routes 5/5A and 12.

To mitigate any potential issues with bus service congestion, northbound/ eastbound journeys on Services 3, 4, 5, 5A, 12, 13 and 16 will take some layover on Vine Place, and thus will not take “hesitation time” on Fawcett Street.

Clearly, whilst we will be continuing to liaise with our colleagues at Sunderland City Council and Clear Channel to mitigate any problems, there is the potential that some trips may be subject to localised delays.

Stagecoach would like to apologise for any inconvenience these works and temporary arrangements may cause, and we remain grateful for customers’ patience and understanding.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

13 Sep 2013, 1:46 pm #24
Bus driver talk today is.. changes in Sunderland will happen in November.

Nothing on VOSA as off yet but with new buses due in the next few months... maybe changes will occur?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
13 Sep 2013, 1:46 pm #24

Bus driver talk today is.. changes in Sunderland will happen in November.

Nothing on VOSA as off yet but with new buses due in the next few months... maybe changes will occur?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

idiot

13 Sep 2013, 5:12 pm #25
Broken down e1 at Salvation Army, Roker Ave... Unable to ID but transit enginerring support van was out.
idiot
13 Sep 2013, 5:12 pm #25

Broken down e1 at Salvation Army, Roker Ave... Unable to ID but transit enginerring support van was out.

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Sep 2013, 5:13 pm #26
22735 on 16s today going around without a front seat... Lovely! :p
Dan
13 Sep 2013, 5:13 pm #26

22735 on 16s today going around without a front seat... Lovely! :p

13 Sep 2013, 5:57 pm #27
(13 Sep 2013, 5:13 pm)Daniel 22735 on 16s today going around without a front seat... Lovely! :p

They starting to cannibalise them already before the gas buses even arrive lol?
stagecoachbusdepot
13 Sep 2013, 5:57 pm #27

(13 Sep 2013, 5:13 pm)Daniel 22735 on 16s today going around without a front seat... Lovely! :p

They starting to cannibalise them already before the gas buses even arrive lol?

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Sep 2013, 6:15 pm #28
(13 Sep 2013, 5:57 pm)stagecoachbusdepot They starting to cannibalise them already before the gas buses even arrive lol?

Hahah, must be! Wink

I still insisted on sitting down on the grey space next to where the seat would usually be. Was tempted to sit on the metal framework and sit normally (the backrest was still there).
God knows where the cushiony bit was for the part you'd sit on though!

My mam told me a few weeks ago that there was a 16 bus going around with no front seat and another one further towards the back wasn't there either... I'd guess it was the same ALX300.
Dan
13 Sep 2013, 6:15 pm #28

(13 Sep 2013, 5:57 pm)stagecoachbusdepot They starting to cannibalise them already before the gas buses even arrive lol?

Hahah, must be! Wink

I still insisted on sitting down on the grey space next to where the seat would usually be. Was tempted to sit on the metal framework and sit normally (the backrest was still there).

My mam told me a few weeks ago that there was a 16 bus going around with no front seat and another one further towards the back wasn't there either... I'd guess it was the same ALX300.

BJ10VUS

13 Sep 2013, 6:19 pm #29
(13 Sep 2013, 6:15 pm)Daniel Was tempted to sit on the metal framework and sit normally (the backrest was still there).

Probably would still be more comfortable than the seats on a GNE SPD! Tongue
BJ10VUS
13 Sep 2013, 6:19 pm #29

(13 Sep 2013, 6:15 pm)Daniel Was tempted to sit on the metal framework and sit normally (the backrest was still there).

Probably would still be more comfortable than the seats on a GNE SPD! Tongue

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Sep 2013, 6:20 pm #30
(13 Sep 2013, 6:19 pm)BJ10VUS Probably would still be more comfortable than the seats on a GNE SPD! Tongue

I imagine so..! Tongue
Dan
13 Sep 2013, 6:20 pm #30

(13 Sep 2013, 6:19 pm)BJ10VUS Probably would still be more comfortable than the seats on a GNE SPD! Tongue

I imagine so..! Tongue

13 Sep 2013, 6:26 pm #31
(13 Sep 2013, 6:15 pm)Daniel Hahah, must be! Wink

Seems mad that with all of this DDA stuff coming in dictating that half of the fleet need replacing because the poles aren't shiny enough (or whatever) they can have buses in service with a key part of the seat missing! Surely that poses more of a health and safety risk?! Not to mention presumably makes the bus look a bit shabby(er).
stagecoachbusdepot
13 Sep 2013, 6:26 pm #31

(13 Sep 2013, 6:15 pm)Daniel Hahah, must be! Wink

Seems mad that with all of this DDA stuff coming in dictating that half of the fleet need replacing because the poles aren't shiny enough (or whatever) they can have buses in service with a key part of the seat missing! Surely that poses more of a health and safety risk?! Not to mention presumably makes the bus look a bit shabby(er).

BJ10VUS

13 Sep 2013, 6:36 pm #32
(13 Sep 2013, 6:26 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Seems mad that with all of this DDA stuff coming in dictating that half of the fleet need replacing because the poles aren't shiny enough (or whatever) they can have buses in service with a key part of the seat missing! Surely that poses more of a health and safety risk?! Not to mention presumably makes the bus look a bit shabby(er).

I don't understand it either. There are some 'older' single deckers that have buggy bays and a dedicated wheelchair space, but aren't DDA compliant, because they "aren't suitable". Does the average wheelchair-bound passenger actually care, provided they can get on and off and have a safe journey?
BJ10VUS
13 Sep 2013, 6:36 pm #32

(13 Sep 2013, 6:26 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Seems mad that with all of this DDA stuff coming in dictating that half of the fleet need replacing because the poles aren't shiny enough (or whatever) they can have buses in service with a key part of the seat missing! Surely that poses more of a health and safety risk?! Not to mention presumably makes the bus look a bit shabby(er).

I don't understand it either. There are some 'older' single deckers that have buggy bays and a dedicated wheelchair space, but aren't DDA compliant, because they "aren't suitable". Does the average wheelchair-bound passenger actually care, provided they can get on and off and have a safe journey?

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Sep 2013, 6:39 pm #33
(13 Sep 2013, 6:36 pm)BJ10VUS I don't understand it either. There are some 'older' single deckers that have buggy bays and a dedicated wheelchair space, but aren't DDA compliant, because they "aren't suitable". Does the average wheelchair-bound passenger actually care, provided they can get on and off and have a safe journey?

I think that's the problem - if the wheelchair-bound person is alone, it is less likely that they can get on the bus.
The ALX300s don't have ramps, do they? Not even manual ones...
Dan
13 Sep 2013, 6:39 pm #33

(13 Sep 2013, 6:36 pm)BJ10VUS I don't understand it either. There are some 'older' single deckers that have buggy bays and a dedicated wheelchair space, but aren't DDA compliant, because they "aren't suitable". Does the average wheelchair-bound passenger actually care, provided they can get on and off and have a safe journey?

I think that's the problem - if the wheelchair-bound person is alone, it is less likely that they can get on the bus.

BJ10VUS

13 Sep 2013, 6:41 pm #34
(13 Sep 2013, 6:39 pm)Daniel I think that's the problem - if the wheelchair-bound person is alone, it is less likely that they can get on the bus.

Ah, I forgot the ALX300s don't have ramps! Blush
BJ10VUS
13 Sep 2013, 6:41 pm #34

(13 Sep 2013, 6:39 pm)Daniel I think that's the problem - if the wheelchair-bound person is alone, it is less likely that they can get on the bus.

Ah, I forgot the ALX300s don't have ramps! Blush

tyresmoke

13 Sep 2013, 9:04 pm #35
The ALX300 MANs do have ramps. They're stored in a box in the luggage rack on offside behind the cab.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
13 Sep 2013, 9:04 pm #35

The ALX300 MANs do have ramps. They're stored in a box in the luggage rack on offside behind the cab.

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Sep 2013, 9:07 pm #36
(13 Sep 2013, 9:04 pm)tyresmoke The ALX300 MANs do have ramps. They're stored in a box in the luggage rack on offside behind the cab.

Manual/automatic fitted ramps, we were referring to.
On many occasions I've seen drivers prefer to get out of their cabs and help the wheelchair-bound person on themselves rather than get their ramps out - or at least this is the case with Sunderland drivers.
"Sorry love, my ramp doesn't work" - typical every day line.
Dan
13 Sep 2013, 9:07 pm #36

(13 Sep 2013, 9:04 pm)tyresmoke The ALX300 MANs do have ramps. They're stored in a box in the luggage rack on offside behind the cab.

Manual/automatic fitted ramps, we were referring to.
On many occasions I've seen drivers prefer to get out of their cabs and help the wheelchair-bound person on themselves rather than get their ramps out - or at least this is the case with Sunderland drivers.

13 Sep 2013, 9:18 pm #37
(13 Sep 2013, 9:07 pm)Daniel Manual/automatic fitted ramps, we were referring to.

I'm not sure that the DDA requirement is for automatic/powered ramps though. The guidance document states:

"Wheelchair accessible vehicles are fitted with a lift, or a ramp (powered, manual or portable i.e. a detachable, usually folding ramp) stowed in a convenient place on the vehicle.
If a portable ramp is used, a driver or conductor must ensure at the start of the service that it is being carried on the vehicle."

So given the S, T & V reg MANs, and the ALX200 Darts for that matter, do have (albeit manual) ramps - what is it that makes them non-compliant with the new requirements?
stagecoachbusdepot
13 Sep 2013, 9:18 pm #37

(13 Sep 2013, 9:07 pm)Daniel Manual/automatic fitted ramps, we were referring to.

I'm not sure that the DDA requirement is for automatic/powered ramps though. The guidance document states:

"Wheelchair accessible vehicles are fitted with a lift, or a ramp (powered, manual or portable i.e. a detachable, usually folding ramp) stowed in a convenient place on the vehicle.
If a portable ramp is used, a driver or conductor must ensure at the start of the service that it is being carried on the vehicle."

So given the S, T & V reg MANs, and the ALX200 Darts for that matter, do have (albeit manual) ramps - what is it that makes them non-compliant with the new requirements?

Kuyoyo

13 Sep 2013, 9:34 pm #38
(13 Sep 2013, 9:18 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I'm not sure that the DDA requirement is for automatic/powered ramps though. The guidance document states:

DDA goes further than a wheelchair bay and a ramp, there's also gangway width to consider. As such, the S/T/V reg MANs don't meet DDA as their gangway isn't wide enough.
Kuyoyo
13 Sep 2013, 9:34 pm #38

(13 Sep 2013, 9:18 pm)stagecoachbusdepot I'm not sure that the DDA requirement is for automatic/powered ramps though. The guidance document states:

DDA goes further than a wheelchair bay and a ramp, there's also gangway width to consider. As such, the S/T/V reg MANs don't meet DDA as their gangway isn't wide enough.

13 Sep 2013, 9:48 pm #39
(13 Sep 2013, 9:34 pm)Kuyoyo DDA goes further than a wheelchair bay and a ramp, there's also gangway width to consider. As such, the S/T/V reg MANs don't meet DDA as their gangway isn't wide enough.

The gangway isn't wide enough? Wheelchairs seem to have managed to fit through the gangway for the last 15 years.
stagecoachbusdepot
13 Sep 2013, 9:48 pm #39

(13 Sep 2013, 9:34 pm)Kuyoyo DDA goes further than a wheelchair bay and a ramp, there's also gangway width to consider. As such, the S/T/V reg MANs don't meet DDA as their gangway isn't wide enough.

The gangway isn't wide enough? Wheelchairs seem to have managed to fit through the gangway for the last 15 years.

tyresmoke

14 Sep 2013, 5:54 am #40
(13 Sep 2013, 9:48 pm)stagecoachbusdepot The gangway isn't wide enough? Wheelchairs seem to have managed to fit through the gangway for the last 15 years.

There's also tons of stuff to do with wheelchair turning areas and handrails etc...

tyresmoke
14 Sep 2013, 5:54 am #40

(13 Sep 2013, 9:48 pm)stagecoachbusdepot The gangway isn't wide enough? Wheelchairs seem to have managed to fit through the gangway for the last 15 years.

There's also tons of stuff to do with wheelchair turning areas and handrails etc...

Pages (7) Previous 1 2 37 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average