Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Stagecoach North East Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (7) Previous 15 6 7 Next
21 Sep 2013, 3:37 pm #101
(21 Sep 2013, 2:37 pm)Daniel From a personal point of view, I think the Sunderland network, on the whole, is very good. Most services have a 10 minute frequency Monday to Saturday, and most services start early and finish late (which can't always be said about competition in certain areas). Since last year, we've had a 20 minute frequency on the core services in Sunderland's network also. Again, this can't always be said about competition in certain areas.

What I do dislike is that there are opportunities in the current network that Stagecoach could use to their benefit. I see competition between the likes of Go North East and Arriva North East, with services being timed ahead of others etc.
Stagecoach seemingly keep everyone sweet and keep to their own network, making very few changes.
A more recent change that springs to mind is the 23 to Seaburn on Sundays. Some would say that Seaburn really doesn't need a higher frequency on Sundays, but I think it provides excellent links. Passengers can have a through route all the way to Seaburn if travelling from the likes of Thorney Close, whereas before they would have had to get off in town and jump on an E service.
I think more changes like the above could really work well, but things need to be trialled. Go North East regularly have services on trial for six months before making their mind up whether a change to a service is commercially viable or not, and I wish Stagecoach would also do something similar.

Of course it's not all that long ago that Sunderland did have a direct bus from Thorney Close to Seaburn every day of the week rather than just Sundays - until the 24 was axed in favour of an increased frequency on the 23... I know there's still the 18/19 Mon-Sat that do provide some links, but given the relative infrequency and magical mystery tour routing (and therefore journey time) of those services, they don't provide a viable link in my opinion.

Although GNE do it more often and more notably - Stagecoach are also guilty of cutting direct links in favour of increased frequency on a smaller number of routes, necessitating a change of buses. Stagecoach just tend to do it all in one go with a network reorganisation every 5-10 years, rather than the bimonthly tinkering approach GNE seem to prefer.
Edited 21 Sep 2013, 3:38 pm by stagecoachbusdepot.
stagecoachbusdepot
21 Sep 2013, 3:37 pm #101

(21 Sep 2013, 2:37 pm)Daniel From a personal point of view, I think the Sunderland network, on the whole, is very good. Most services have a 10 minute frequency Monday to Saturday, and most services start early and finish late (which can't always be said about competition in certain areas). Since last year, we've had a 20 minute frequency on the core services in Sunderland's network also. Again, this can't always be said about competition in certain areas.

What I do dislike is that there are opportunities in the current network that Stagecoach could use to their benefit. I see competition between the likes of Go North East and Arriva North East, with services being timed ahead of others etc.
Stagecoach seemingly keep everyone sweet and keep to their own network, making very few changes.
A more recent change that springs to mind is the 23 to Seaburn on Sundays. Some would say that Seaburn really doesn't need a higher frequency on Sundays, but I think it provides excellent links. Passengers can have a through route all the way to Seaburn if travelling from the likes of Thorney Close, whereas before they would have had to get off in town and jump on an E service.
I think more changes like the above could really work well, but things need to be trialled. Go North East regularly have services on trial for six months before making their mind up whether a change to a service is commercially viable or not, and I wish Stagecoach would also do something similar.

Of course it's not all that long ago that Sunderland did have a direct bus from Thorney Close to Seaburn every day of the week rather than just Sundays - until the 24 was axed in favour of an increased frequency on the 23... I know there's still the 18/19 Mon-Sat that do provide some links, but given the relative infrequency and magical mystery tour routing (and therefore journey time) of those services, they don't provide a viable link in my opinion.

Although GNE do it more often and more notably - Stagecoach are also guilty of cutting direct links in favour of increased frequency on a smaller number of routes, necessitating a change of buses. Stagecoach just tend to do it all in one go with a network reorganisation every 5-10 years, rather than the bimonthly tinkering approach GNE seem to prefer.

Michael

21 Sep 2013, 3:59 pm #102
(21 Sep 2013, 3:37 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Of course it's not all that long ago that Sunderland did have a direct bus from Thorney Close to Seaburn every day of the week rather than just Sundays - until the 24 was axed in favour of an increased frequency on the 23... I know there's still the 18/19 Mon-Sat that do provide some links, but given the relative infrequency and magical mystery tour routing (and therefore journey time) of those services, they don't provide a viable link in my opinion.

Oh the fun world tour of the 18/19.. i think they should be changed, i think its long route is the reason why no one uses them.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Sep 2013, 3:59 pm #102

(21 Sep 2013, 3:37 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Of course it's not all that long ago that Sunderland did have a direct bus from Thorney Close to Seaburn every day of the week rather than just Sundays - until the 24 was axed in favour of an increased frequency on the 23... I know there's still the 18/19 Mon-Sat that do provide some links, but given the relative infrequency and magical mystery tour routing (and therefore journey time) of those services, they don't provide a viable link in my opinion.

Oh the fun world tour of the 18/19.. i think they should be changed, i think its long route is the reason why no one uses them.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Sep 2013, 4:05 pm #103
(21 Sep 2013, 3:59 pm)Michael Oh the fun world tour of the 18/19.. i think they should be changed, i think its long route is the reason why no one uses them.

Would you not say that they provide lots of local links, similar to Go North East's "Coaster" 1 service? I doubt anyone uses the service from Grindon all the way to Seaburn, but I imagine it will be used quite heavily for short stints throughout the full route.
When I lived on the route a few years ago (when the Alexander Dash Darts operated the service, prior to ALX200 and now Pointer 2 Darts), I used to use the service for short stints all of the time. Quite a few others used it similarly back then too.
I don't have a great deal of spare time to travel on buses for fun now so don't really get much time for the 18/19, and I rarely see it because it is so infrequent... Have the passenger numbers really dropped across the entirety of the route, or is it just at certain parts?
Dan
21 Sep 2013, 4:05 pm #103

(21 Sep 2013, 3:59 pm)Michael Oh the fun world tour of the 18/19.. i think they should be changed, i think its long route is the reason why no one uses them.

Would you not say that they provide lots of local links, similar to Go North East's "Coaster" 1 service? I doubt anyone uses the service from Grindon all the way to Seaburn, but I imagine it will be used quite heavily for short stints throughout the full route.
When I lived on the route a few years ago (when the Alexander Dash Darts operated the service, prior to ALX200 and now Pointer 2 Darts), I used to use the service for short stints all of the time. Quite a few others used it similarly back then too.
I don't have a great deal of spare time to travel on buses for fun now so don't really get much time for the 18/19, and I rarely see it because it is so infrequent... Have the passenger numbers really dropped across the entirety of the route, or is it just at certain parts?

Michael

21 Sep 2013, 4:08 pm #104
It's only ever busy i would say between 7:30am and 10:30ish then again for between 3 and 4:30ish - that's all.

I wonder if they could change it though?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Sep 2013, 4:08 pm #104

It's only ever busy i would say between 7:30am and 10:30ish then again for between 3 and 4:30ish - that's all.

I wonder if they could change it though?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

21 Sep 2013, 4:09 pm #105
(21 Sep 2013, 4:05 pm)Daniel Would you not say that they provide lots of local links, similar to Go North East's "Coaster" 1 service? I doubt anyone uses the service from Grindon all the way to Seaburn, but I imagine it will be used quite heavily for short stints throughout the full route.

Whenever I've seen them they certainly don't look full (apart from the Saturday of airshow weekend of course - always bemused me why they still only used midis that day!) They do provide some useful local links I think. I was just making the point that they don't provide a viable Thorney Close - Seaburn alternative for weekdays.
stagecoachbusdepot
21 Sep 2013, 4:09 pm #105

(21 Sep 2013, 4:05 pm)Daniel Would you not say that they provide lots of local links, similar to Go North East's "Coaster" 1 service? I doubt anyone uses the service from Grindon all the way to Seaburn, but I imagine it will be used quite heavily for short stints throughout the full route.

Whenever I've seen them they certainly don't look full (apart from the Saturday of airshow weekend of course - always bemused me why they still only used midis that day!) They do provide some useful local links I think. I was just making the point that they don't provide a viable Thorney Close - Seaburn alternative for weekdays.

Tom

21 Sep 2013, 7:02 pm #106
(21 Sep 2013, 4:09 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Whenever I've seen them they certainly don't look full (apart from the Saturday of airshow weekend of course - always bemused me why they still only used midis that day!) They do provide some useful local links I think. I was just making the point that they don't provide a viable Thorney Close - Seaburn alternative for weekdays.

There are several services similar to that. ''The Centurion'' service 17 is heavily used, but very few people use it from Whitley Bay to Cramlington, mainly for local routes like North Shields-Rake Lane, Wallsend-Holy Cross/Howdon. Another similar route is the ''Whey-aye-Five-0'', I doubt many people will use it from Durham to South Shields, but is used loads for local journeys. For example, today I used it from Boldon to South Shields, lots of people departed at Boldon, and only 3 people were remaining on the bus, but a few people boarded at Boldon and Whitleas.
Tom
21 Sep 2013, 7:02 pm #106

(21 Sep 2013, 4:09 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Whenever I've seen them they certainly don't look full (apart from the Saturday of airshow weekend of course - always bemused me why they still only used midis that day!) They do provide some useful local links I think. I was just making the point that they don't provide a viable Thorney Close - Seaburn alternative for weekdays.

There are several services similar to that. ''The Centurion'' service 17 is heavily used, but very few people use it from Whitley Bay to Cramlington, mainly for local routes like North Shields-Rake Lane, Wallsend-Holy Cross/Howdon. Another similar route is the ''Whey-aye-Five-0'', I doubt many people will use it from Durham to South Shields, but is used loads for local journeys. For example, today I used it from Boldon to South Shields, lots of people departed at Boldon, and only 3 people were remaining on the bus, but a few people boarded at Boldon and Whitleas.

Dan

Site Administrator

23 Sep 2013, 3:10 pm #107
Sunderland ALX200 33484 is on 23s today, covering for an E200.
Dan
23 Sep 2013, 3:10 pm #107

Sunderland ALX200 33484 is on 23s today, covering for an E200.

23 Sep 2013, 3:54 pm #108
33829 was on there this morning
23 Sep 2013, 3:54 pm #108

33829 was on there this morning

Dan

Site Administrator

24 Sep 2013, 6:45 am #109
Nice to see an ALX200 out on 8s... One is on xx30s from town today.
Not rare as such, but worth a mention nevertheless.
Dan
24 Sep 2013, 6:45 am #109

Nice to see an ALX200 out on 8s... One is on xx30s from town today.

Michael

24 Sep 2013, 6:58 am #110
(24 Sep 2013, 6:45 am)Daniel Nice to see an ALX200 out on 8s... One is on xx30s from town today.

New MAN's on the 8 when the new buses arrive maybe?

The gas buses need to hurry up like... haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
24 Sep 2013, 6:58 am #110

(24 Sep 2013, 6:45 am)Daniel Nice to see an ALX200 out on 8s... One is on xx30s from town today.

New MAN's on the 8 when the new buses arrive maybe?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

24 Sep 2013, 7:36 am #111
(24 Sep 2013, 6:58 am)Michael New MAN's on the 8 when the new buses arrive maybe?

Think it's likely to be allocated two of our 36000s, but really don't know.
Looking forward to the fleet changes and the like when the new Enviros arrive - will hopefully strike some interest in SNE! Smile
Dan
24 Sep 2013, 7:36 am #111

(24 Sep 2013, 6:58 am)Michael New MAN's on the 8 when the new buses arrive maybe?

Think it's likely to be allocated two of our 36000s, but really don't know.
Looking forward to the fleet changes and the like when the new Enviros arrive - will hopefully strike some interest in SNE! Smile

Michael

24 Sep 2013, 7:40 am #112
I hope so, not everyone will though!!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
24 Sep 2013, 7:40 am #112

I hope so, not everyone will though!!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

25 Sep 2013, 10:58 am #113
Dart on the 16 today, heading towards chester road from hastings hill

The 16's seem to be running in 2's

Only 6 of us on the 19 currently..only in thorney close atm... this is heading towards seaburn... highest so far on it is.. 9!
All OAP and people with passes... no one has paid so far
Edited 25 Sep 2013, 11:36 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
25 Sep 2013, 10:58 am #113

Dart on the 16 today, heading towards chester road from hastings hill

The 16's seem to be running in 2's

Only 6 of us on the 19 currently..only in thorney close atm... this is heading towards seaburn... highest so far on it is.. 9!
All OAP and people with passes... no one has paid so far

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Acky81

25 Sep 2013, 3:18 pm #114
David I just think Sunderland could open up some new routes like trails for 6-12 months like go north east do.
Acky81
25 Sep 2013, 3:18 pm #114

David I just think Sunderland could open up some new routes like trails for 6-12 months like go north east do.

Michael

25 Sep 2013, 4:10 pm #115
To many roadworks in Sunderland atm like... here's 2 more uploaded today...

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/serviceupda...px?Id=8511 - Service 4

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/serviceupda...px?Id=8515 - Service 23
Edited 25 Sep 2013, 4:10 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
25 Sep 2013, 4:10 pm #115

To many roadworks in Sunderland atm like... here's 2 more uploaded today...

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/serviceupda...px?Id=8511 - Service 4

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/serviceupda...px?Id=8515 - Service 23

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

mattdw92

25 Sep 2013, 11:54 pm #116
(24 Sep 2013, 7:36 am)Daniel hopefully strike some interest in SNE! Smile

There is plenty interest with SCN. This forum is just heavily GNE centred due to the somewhat "chaotic" changeable nature of the company. Surprised some even know who Stagecoach are as all they seem to do is breathe GNE! Stable SC that needs little change tells you something....... SC are also rightly more confidential in divulging information to the public. Suppose the reduced enthusiast following does help things come to light for some, as stuff is less likely to be spread easily by a vast following similar to the sole GNE knackers.... Smile
Edited 26 Sep 2013, 12:49 am by mattdw92.
mattdw92
25 Sep 2013, 11:54 pm #116

(24 Sep 2013, 7:36 am)Daniel hopefully strike some interest in SNE! Smile

There is plenty interest with SCN. This forum is just heavily GNE centred due to the somewhat "chaotic" changeable nature of the company. Surprised some even know who Stagecoach are as all they seem to do is breathe GNE! Stable SC that needs little change tells you something....... SC are also rightly more confidential in divulging information to the public. Suppose the reduced enthusiast following does help things come to light for some, as stuff is less likely to be spread easily by a vast following similar to the sole GNE knackers.... Smile

Dan

Site Administrator

26 Sep 2013, 6:12 am #117
(25 Sep 2013, 11:54 pm)mattdw92 There is plenty interest with SCN. This forum is just heavily GNE centred due to the somewhat "chaotic" changeable nature of the company. Surprised some even know who Stagecoach are as all they seem to do is breathe GNE! Stable SC that needs little change tells you something....... SC are also rightly more confidential in divulging information to the public. Suppose the reduced enthusiast following does help things come to light for some, as stuff is less likely to be spread easily by a vast following similar to the sole GNE knackers.... Smile

I do think it's a shame Stagecoach North East have less integration and communication with us enthusiasts. While we can be pests, we can also be helpful and can help resolve issues that have not yet been noted - Go North East have had some destination blind issues on the "Drifter" branded Versas - we can be confident that those will be fixed this week now. It's a two-way street, we can give information that the company likes to have and doesn't always get, but also receive it in return.

I'm yet to find a group (whether it be on a forum, Facebook group etc) that actively posts odd allocations, fleet news and general discussion; unless you can prove me wrong (I'm somewhat hoping you can!), I'd still say we have the largest community for Stagecoach North East on this website, despite it not being a major part of the website... We're slowly climbing the ranks on Google too!

The same for Arriva too. Unless I've been completely blind to all of these potential groups on Facebook, of course. We can nit-pick at the allocations sheet to try and have a bit of discussion on odd allocations and give fleet news each period, but if there is little interest there, we can't do anything about it!

I'm still trying to pull a few strings for us to get a Stagecoach NE representative on the forum. We've got quite a few from Go North East, so official or not, it'd be nice for Stagecoach to follow suit and drop occasional hints every now and again. Wink
Dan
26 Sep 2013, 6:12 am #117

(25 Sep 2013, 11:54 pm)mattdw92 There is plenty interest with SCN. This forum is just heavily GNE centred due to the somewhat "chaotic" changeable nature of the company. Surprised some even know who Stagecoach are as all they seem to do is breathe GNE! Stable SC that needs little change tells you something....... SC are also rightly more confidential in divulging information to the public. Suppose the reduced enthusiast following does help things come to light for some, as stuff is less likely to be spread easily by a vast following similar to the sole GNE knackers.... Smile

I do think it's a shame Stagecoach North East have less integration and communication with us enthusiasts. While we can be pests, we can also be helpful and can help resolve issues that have not yet been noted - Go North East have had some destination blind issues on the "Drifter" branded Versas - we can be confident that those will be fixed this week now. It's a two-way street, we can give information that the company likes to have and doesn't always get, but also receive it in return.

I'm yet to find a group (whether it be on a forum, Facebook group etc) that actively posts odd allocations, fleet news and general discussion; unless you can prove me wrong (I'm somewhat hoping you can!), I'd still say we have the largest community for Stagecoach North East on this website, despite it not being a major part of the website... We're slowly climbing the ranks on Google too!

The same for Arriva too. Unless I've been completely blind to all of these potential groups on Facebook, of course. We can nit-pick at the allocations sheet to try and have a bit of discussion on odd allocations and give fleet news each period, but if there is little interest there, we can't do anything about it!

I'm still trying to pull a few strings for us to get a Stagecoach NE representative on the forum. We've got quite a few from Go North East, so official or not, it'd be nice for Stagecoach to follow suit and drop occasional hints every now and again. Wink

tyresmoke

26 Sep 2013, 8:27 am #118
A little bit of news is that Stockton based MAN 22658 has returned from a month or two absence freshly repainted, noted back in service yesterday.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
26 Sep 2013, 8:27 am #118

A little bit of news is that Stockton based MAN 22658 has returned from a month or two absence freshly repainted, noted back in service yesterday.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Michael

26 Sep 2013, 8:35 am #119
I agree, we need more info on Stagecoach, GNE does get more post's due to changes and random buses on branded ones.... hopefully more info comes when the gas buses/enviros arrive...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
26 Sep 2013, 8:35 am #119

I agree, we need more info on Stagecoach, GNE does get more post's due to changes and random buses on branded ones.... hopefully more info comes when the gas buses/enviros arrive...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

mattdw92

26 Sep 2013, 9:35 am #120
12062 was on the 22 on Tuesday.
22413 has also finally lost its name "Tootie Fruity" a few weeks back.
Weekday allocations on the 12 have been seeing more Hybrids, with normal Tridents naturally filling the gaps on 39/40. Was a "1" branded one on 39 on Tuesday too.
Edited 26 Sep 2013, 9:37 am by mattdw92.
mattdw92
26 Sep 2013, 9:35 am #120

12062 was on the 22 on Tuesday.
22413 has also finally lost its name "Tootie Fruity" a few weeks back.
Weekday allocations on the 12 have been seeing more Hybrids, with normal Tridents naturally filling the gaps on 39/40. Was a "1" branded one on 39 on Tuesday too.

Pages (7) Previous 15 6 7 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average