Menu

North East Buses The Bus Scene Elsewhere Bus Events (Elsewhere) Built in Workington Day

Built in Workington Day

Built in Workington Day

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16 Feb 2015, 10:53 pm #1
Details below:
http://www.builtinworkington.com

Basically, a huge event celebrating 20 years of buses being built at Leyland's factory in Workington, Cumbria.

I hear the NNRG's 4710 is attending, so that automatically makes me consider it. I'd love to go to be honest, as I think it will offer some fantastic photographic opportunities. I gather it's a mainly Leyland National event, but looks like everything from Olympians to Lynx's will be there!

I'm absolutely thrilled it's on Sunday 19th July, as school breaks up for summer on Friday 17th and I won't have to worry about school the next day! Big Grin

Anyone else interested?
Edited 16 Feb 2015, 10:54 pm by R852 PRG.
R852 PRG
16 Feb 2015, 10:53 pm #1

Details below:
http://www.builtinworkington.com

Basically, a huge event celebrating 20 years of buses being built at Leyland's factory in Workington, Cumbria.

I hear the NNRG's 4710 is attending, so that automatically makes me consider it. I'd love to go to be honest, as I think it will offer some fantastic photographic opportunities. I gather it's a mainly Leyland National event, but looks like everything from Olympians to Lynx's will be there!

I'm absolutely thrilled it's on Sunday 19th July, as school breaks up for summer on Friday 17th and I won't have to worry about school the next day! Big Grin

Anyone else interested?

04 Jul 2015, 11:33 am #2
Hello.

The Workington Transport Trust are holding A event at the former Leyland National factory in Lillyhall Industrial estate Workington on July the 19th. We are attending this event with FTN710W but unfortunately due to the fact we are going on the 18th we cannot take anyone up.

If you like your Nationals Olympians, Tigers and Royal Tigers this is the event for you.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.
Craig Smith
04 Jul 2015, 11:33 am #2

Hello.

The Workington Transport Trust are holding A event at the former Leyland National factory in Lillyhall Industrial estate Workington on July the 19th. We are attending this event with FTN710W but unfortunately due to the fact we are going on the 18th we cannot take anyone up.

If you like your Nationals Olympians, Tigers and Royal Tigers this is the event for you.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.

09 Jul 2015, 5:08 pm #3
Is anybody planning on heading to this event?
R852 PRG
09 Jul 2015, 5:08 pm #3

Is anybody planning on heading to this event?

Jimmi

09 Jul 2015, 5:35 pm #4
(09 Jul 2015, 5:08 pm)R852 PRG Is anybody planning on heading to this event?
No.

Looked on Traveline out of interest to see if it was even possible to get there on public transport and it was, but not until around 3pm! Think that would be an expensive waste of a trip.
Jimmi
09 Jul 2015, 5:35 pm #4

(09 Jul 2015, 5:08 pm)R852 PRG Is anybody planning on heading to this event?
No.

Looked on Traveline out of interest to see if it was even possible to get there on public transport and it was, but not until around 3pm! Think that would be an expensive waste of a trip.

09 Jul 2015, 6:51 pm #5
(09 Jul 2015, 5:35 pm)Jimmi No.

It would be quite a journey by bus; 7 to Durham, 21/X21/X12 to Newcastle, 685 to Carlisle then the 300 down to Workington. Although, to cut off a lot of journey time; get the 7 to Durham, the train (Virgin East Coast, First TransPennine, CrossCountry, whichever you like) up to Newcastle, a Northern Rail service to Carlisle, then a Northern Rail service down to Workington. I think that would cut off the journey time significantly, if you took the train as opposed to the bus.
R852 PRG
09 Jul 2015, 6:51 pm #5

(09 Jul 2015, 5:35 pm)Jimmi No.

It would be quite a journey by bus; 7 to Durham, 21/X21/X12 to Newcastle, 685 to Carlisle then the 300 down to Workington. Although, to cut off a lot of journey time; get the 7 to Durham, the train (Virgin East Coast, First TransPennine, CrossCountry, whichever you like) up to Newcastle, a Northern Rail service to Carlisle, then a Northern Rail service down to Workington. I think that would cut off the journey time significantly, if you took the train as opposed to the bus.

Jimmi

09 Jul 2015, 6:54 pm #6
(09 Jul 2015, 6:51 pm)R852 PRG It would be quite a journey by bus; 7 to Durham, 21/X21/X12 to Newcastle, 685 to Carlisle then the 300 down to Workington. Although, to cut off a lot of journey time; get the 7 to Durham, the train (Virgin East Coast, First TransPennine, CrossCountry, whichever you like) up to Newcastle, a Northern Rail service to Carlisle, then a Northern Rail service down to Workington. I think that would cut off the journey time significantly, if you took the train as opposed to the bus.

I selected all options including trains and the earliest I could get there is 3pm.

The only way I could realistically go is if I was to stay over on the Saturday night in the Workington area or possibly Newcastle.
Jimmi
09 Jul 2015, 6:54 pm #6

(09 Jul 2015, 6:51 pm)R852 PRG It would be quite a journey by bus; 7 to Durham, 21/X21/X12 to Newcastle, 685 to Carlisle then the 300 down to Workington. Although, to cut off a lot of journey time; get the 7 to Durham, the train (Virgin East Coast, First TransPennine, CrossCountry, whichever you like) up to Newcastle, a Northern Rail service to Carlisle, then a Northern Rail service down to Workington. I think that would cut off the journey time significantly, if you took the train as opposed to the bus.

I selected all options including trains and the earliest I could get there is 3pm.

The only way I could realistically go is if I was to stay over on the Saturday night in the Workington area or possibly Newcastle.

Jimmi

09 Jul 2015, 10:06 pm #7
Unless I was to get the National Express from Darlington at 0450 in the morning still probably couldn't get there until around 3pm.

There is a lack of trains on a morning into Newcastle, the first one arriving in Newcastle at 1006 and the Carlisle train leaves at 1010 so I don't think that is really a connection so probably wouldn't be possible to switch between the two at Central Station. Also Arriva 85 runs Newcastle - Hexham and Stagecoach do the 685 between Hexham and Carlisle but I think it's only every 2 hours.

Unfortunately because of the lack of transport options on a Sunday morning and the costs of train fares would mean it probably wouldn't be worth it.
Jimmi
09 Jul 2015, 10:06 pm #7

Unless I was to get the National Express from Darlington at 0450 in the morning still probably couldn't get there until around 3pm.

There is a lack of trains on a morning into Newcastle, the first one arriving in Newcastle at 1006 and the Carlisle train leaves at 1010 so I don't think that is really a connection so probably wouldn't be possible to switch between the two at Central Station. Also Arriva 85 runs Newcastle - Hexham and Stagecoach do the 685 between Hexham and Carlisle but I think it's only every 2 hours.

Unfortunately because of the lack of transport options on a Sunday morning and the costs of train fares would mean it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Tom

10 Jul 2015, 7:03 am #8
(09 Jul 2015, 10:06 pm)Jimmi Unless I was to get the National Express from Darlington at 0450 in the morning still probably couldn't get there until around 3pm.

Aye, Arriva run the 85 hourly, and the 685 only runs a few times a day between Hexham and Carlisle.
Tom
10 Jul 2015, 7:03 am #8

(09 Jul 2015, 10:06 pm)Jimmi Unless I was to get the National Express from Darlington at 0450 in the morning still probably couldn't get there until around 3pm.

Aye, Arriva run the 85 hourly, and the 685 only runs a few times a day between Hexham and Carlisle.

10 Jul 2015, 4:52 pm #9
(10 Jul 2015, 7:03 am)Tom and the 685 only runs a few times a day between Hexham and Carlisle.

Two-hourly

I won't be going unfortunately as I'm going to the Wensleydale Railway's Diesel Gala instead Smile

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
10 Jul 2015, 4:52 pm #9

(10 Jul 2015, 7:03 am)Tom and the 685 only runs a few times a day between Hexham and Carlisle.

Two-hourly

I won't be going unfortunately as I'm going to the Wensleydale Railway's Diesel Gala instead Smile

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average