Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat 'Ghost' Bus Infrastructure

'Ghost' Bus Infrastructure

'Ghost' Bus Infrastructure

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (8) Previous 1 2 3 48 Next
Andreos1

10 May 2015, 9:28 pm #41
Noticed a United flag today. The stop is still possibly in use too - although it probably wont see much usage.

It is northbound on the A177, not too far north of the science site in Sedgefield.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
10 May 2015, 9:28 pm #41

Noticed a United flag today. The stop is still possibly in use too - although it probably wont see much usage.

It is northbound on the A177, not too far north of the science site in Sedgefield.

11 May 2015, 7:19 pm #42
Not exactly buses...

On some Metro stations, there are old TWPTE "No Trespassing" signs, some have been modified from £200 to £1000 fines. Also, on Heworth NR station, theres about 3 Regional Railways "Paid for by Nexus" signs.
omnicity4659
11 May 2015, 7:19 pm #42

Not exactly buses...

On some Metro stations, there are old TWPTE "No Trespassing" signs, some have been modified from £200 to £1000 fines. Also, on Heworth NR station, theres about 3 Regional Railways "Paid for by Nexus" signs.

LeeCalder

11 May 2015, 8:33 pm #43
(11 May 2015, 7:19 pm)Tommy_1581 Not exactly buses...

As well as the Regional Railways stuff at Heworth NR station, it still has the 'Northern Spirit' operators details etc 
LeeCalder
11 May 2015, 8:33 pm #43

(11 May 2015, 7:19 pm)Tommy_1581 Not exactly buses...

As well as the Regional Railways stuff at Heworth NR station, it still has the 'Northern Spirit' operators details etc 

MrPottski

19 May 2015, 3:18 pm #44
There's still a "Roadranger stops here" sticker on a lamppost on Whinfield Road. I think it's also been painted around as well bizarrely!
Edited 19 May 2015, 3:18 pm by MrPottski.
MrPottski
19 May 2015, 3:18 pm #44

There's still a "Roadranger stops here" sticker on a lamppost on Whinfield Road. I think it's also been painted around as well bizarrely!

02 Jun 2015, 10:19 am #45
Northumbria bus stop flags (with Arriva stickers fading and peeling off) in Ellington.
omnicity4659
02 Jun 2015, 10:19 am #45

Northumbria bus stop flags (with Arriva stickers fading and peeling off) in Ellington.

Andreos1

02 Jun 2015, 7:57 pm #46
(02 Jun 2015, 10:19 am)Tommy_1581 Northumbria bus stop flags (with Arriva stickers fading and peeling off) in Ellington.

I was through that way today and noticed the majority of southbound and some north, are like that from Ellington, all the way down to Woodhorn Village.

It looks like the flags are wooden (mdf?), rather than metal or plastic
Edited 02 Jun 2015, 7:57 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
02 Jun 2015, 7:57 pm #46

(02 Jun 2015, 10:19 am)Tommy_1581 Northumbria bus stop flags (with Arriva stickers fading and peeling off) in Ellington.

I was through that way today and noticed the majority of southbound and some north, are like that from Ellington, all the way down to Woodhorn Village.

It looks like the flags are wooden (mdf?), rather than metal or plastic

LeeCalder

10 Jun 2015, 10:32 pm #47
Just to give this thread a bump... I spotted this on Lamesley Road between Team Valley and Birtley

[Image: 18063939274_e518753ea6.jpg]T&W Zone Boundry - Spotted near Lamsley, Gateshead by Lee Robert Calder, on Flickr
LeeCalder
10 Jun 2015, 10:32 pm #47

Just to give this thread a bump... I spotted this on Lamesley Road between Team Valley and Birtley

[Image: 18063939274_e518753ea6.jpg]T&W Zone Boundry - Spotted near Lamsley, Gateshead by Lee Robert Calder, on Flickr

idiot

11 Jun 2015, 5:14 pm #48
Im sure there is one on the A1
idiot
11 Jun 2015, 5:14 pm #48

Im sure there is one on the A1

11 Jun 2015, 5:18 pm #49
(11 Jun 2015, 5:14 pm)idiot Im sure there is one on the A1

Already been mentioned.  Smile
omnicity4659
11 Jun 2015, 5:18 pm #49

(11 Jun 2015, 5:14 pm)idiot Im sure there is one on the A1

Already been mentioned.  Smile

idiot

11 Jun 2015, 6:30 pm #50
Well it's mentioned twice now :p
idiot
11 Jun 2015, 6:30 pm #50

Well it's mentioned twice now :p

Andreos1

02 Apr 2016, 7:04 pm #51
The zone boundary sign on the A1 near the Metrocentre, has long gone. I have been meaning to mention it for a while.

However, I saw some 'ghost bus infrastructure' today, that has escaped my attention.
There is an old stretch of road that emerges near the horse riding stables at Lamesley. The opposite end is blocked off by the northbound exit slip of the A1 towards the Coalhouse Roundabout.
Anyway, I noticed for the first time ever (no idea how I have missed it previously), that there is a brick bus shelter on that stretch of old road.

Andreos1
02 Apr 2016, 7:04 pm #51

The zone boundary sign on the A1 near the Metrocentre, has long gone. I have been meaning to mention it for a while.

However, I saw some 'ghost bus infrastructure' today, that has escaped my attention.
There is an old stretch of road that emerges near the horse riding stables at Lamesley. The opposite end is blocked off by the northbound exit slip of the A1 towards the Coalhouse Roundabout.
Anyway, I noticed for the first time ever (no idea how I have missed it previously), that there is a brick bus shelter on that stretch of old road.

02 Apr 2016, 7:43 pm #52
The bus stop at Prudhoe leisure centre still has an Arriva 602 sticker on it, noticed it today when waiting for a 10 to Hexham today
TEN 6083
02 Apr 2016, 7:43 pm #52

The bus stop at Prudhoe leisure centre still has an Arriva 602 sticker on it, noticed it today when waiting for a 10 to Hexham today

Ambassador

02 Apr 2016, 9:41 pm #53
(02 Apr 2016, 7:04 pm)Andreos1 However, I saw some 'ghost bus infrastructure' today, that has escaped my attention.

Is that the road Network Rail own now?

There's an indentical shelter opposite the Angel (Southbound) assuming they are related to the pits  that used to be there (would guess Dean or South as the main pit would be the Angel itself) as I can't think of any other reason for a shelter down there.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
02 Apr 2016, 9:41 pm #53

(02 Apr 2016, 7:04 pm)Andreos1 However, I saw some 'ghost bus infrastructure' today, that has escaped my attention.

Is that the road Network Rail own now?

There's an indentical shelter opposite the Angel (Southbound) assuming they are related to the pits  that used to be there (would guess Dean or South as the main pit would be the Angel itself) as I can't think of any other reason for a shelter down there.

Andreos1

02 Apr 2016, 9:55 pm #54
(02 Apr 2016, 9:41 pm)Ambassador Is that the road Network Rail own now?

Dunno who owns it.

Racking my brains to try and think about the road network down there years ago, prior to that section of the Western Bypass being built.
Struggling.
I am guessing that road extended to the western side of Chowdene Bridge at some point though.

There is a stop on the road now, more or less parallel to this old shelter.

Appreciate we are going off topic, but was there a pit down there?
I can remember the NCB building on the site where Sainsburys is, but wasn't aware of anything else that far down.

Andreos1
02 Apr 2016, 9:55 pm #54

(02 Apr 2016, 9:41 pm)Ambassador Is that the road Network Rail own now?

Dunno who owns it.

Racking my brains to try and think about the road network down there years ago, prior to that section of the Western Bypass being built.
Struggling.
I am guessing that road extended to the western side of Chowdene Bridge at some point though.

I can remember the NCB building on the site where Sainsburys is, but wasn't aware of anything else that far down.

Ambassador

02 Apr 2016, 10:04 pm #55
(02 Apr 2016, 9:55 pm)FAndreos1 Dunno who owns it.

Struggling.

Not entirely sure, there may have been infrastructure around to support it. A quick look at Durham coalfields brings up an awful lot

www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/Pages/AdvancedSearchDurhamCollieriesResults.aspx?SearchType=Param&SearchID=f2896b30-7c3d-46e5-b647-9da0a9a493fb

Its intriguing as I'm not sure where that road would go, a link to Smithy Lane perhaps but the railway has been there a lot longer I'd assume so it must have gone around or over it

Ambassador
02 Apr 2016, 10:04 pm #55

(02 Apr 2016, 9:55 pm)FAndreos1 Dunno who owns it.

Struggling.

Not entirely sure, there may have been infrastructure around to support it. A quick look at Durham coalfields brings up an awful lot

www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/Pages/AdvancedSearchDurhamCollieriesResults.aspx?SearchType=Param&SearchID=f2896b30-7c3d-46e5-b647-9da0a9a493fb

Its intriguing as I'm not sure where that road would go, a link to Smithy Lane perhaps but the railway has been there a lot longer I'd assume so it must have gone around or over it

Andreos1

02 Apr 2016, 10:16 pm #56
(02 Apr 2016, 10:04 pm)Ambassador Not entirely sure, there may have been infrastructure around to support it. A quick look at Durham coalfields brings up an awful lot

Looking on Google Maps, it looks like it was part of the original course of Lamesley Road.
Which ties in with what I was saying about connecting on to Chowdene.

Cheers for the pit link. Will have a good rake through that!

Andreos1
02 Apr 2016, 10:16 pm #56

(02 Apr 2016, 10:04 pm)Ambassador Not entirely sure, there may have been infrastructure around to support it. A quick look at Durham coalfields brings up an awful lot

Looking on Google Maps, it looks like it was part of the original course of Lamesley Road.
Which ties in with what I was saying about connecting on to Chowdene.

Cheers for the pit link. Will have a good rake through that!

BusLoverMum

02 Apr 2016, 10:40 pm #57

Might find FIL's keys in that lot.

Never found out, until his funeral, that he maintained that he'd lost a set of keys under what is now the Angel of the North, while he was at work.

(I did suggest it would be a good idea to scatter his ashes with his keys, but he wanted them in his leek trench)
BusLoverMum
02 Apr 2016, 10:40 pm #57

Might find FIL's keys in that lot.

Never found out, until his funeral, that he maintained that he'd lost a set of keys under what is now the Angel of the North, while he was at work.

(I did suggest it would be a good idea to scatter his ashes with his keys, but he wanted them in his leek trench)

Charles41

03 Apr 2016, 10:36 am #58
(02 Apr 2016, 9:55 pm)Andreos1 Dunno who owns it.

Struggling.

Hi remember this area well from when I was little. There was indeed a pit, it was called Ladypark Drift and the site is now retail world. The road with the bus shelter on it used to come out near the NCB offices (which is now Sainsbury). If I remember rightly the 29 Kibblesworth bus used to use it.

There used to be a railway line which ran behind the NCB offices to the drift mine. It crossed the main road through the Team Valley on a single track concrete viaduct. It crossed Chowdene Bank near where the small gas works is now and then over the East Main Line before heading up to Wrekenton. Most of the railway is now a public footpath.

I used to go for walks with my dad on a Sunday around Ravensworth Castle and remember us taking a shortcut over the Western Bypass whilst it was being built.

Charles
Charles41
03 Apr 2016, 10:36 am #58

(02 Apr 2016, 9:55 pm)Andreos1 Dunno who owns it.

Struggling.

Hi remember this area well from when I was little. There was indeed a pit, it was called Ladypark Drift and the site is now retail world. The road with the bus shelter on it used to come out near the NCB offices (which is now Sainsbury). If I remember rightly the 29 Kibblesworth bus used to use it.

There used to be a railway line which ran behind the NCB offices to the drift mine. It crossed the main road through the Team Valley on a single track concrete viaduct. It crossed Chowdene Bank near where the small gas works is now and then over the East Main Line before heading up to Wrekenton. Most of the railway is now a public footpath.

I used to go for walks with my dad on a Sunday around Ravensworth Castle and remember us taking a shortcut over the Western Bypass whilst it was being built.

Charles

Andreos1

03 Apr 2016, 11:23 am #59
(03 Apr 2016, 10:36 am)Charles41 Hi remember this area well from when I was little. There was indeed a pit, it was called Ladypark Drift and the site is now retail world. The road with the bus shelter on it used to come out near the NCB offices (which is now Sainsbury). If I remember rightly the 29 Kibblesworth bus used to use it.

Charles
Cheers Charles.
Here is a photo of the viaduct:- http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/hist...y-10272913

As I said earlier, I can remember the NCB building (which was knocked down in the mid 80's.
I can also remember the realignment of the A1 at Eighton Lodge, including the works between there and the Coalhouse Roundabout.
What was there before has vanished from memory unfortunately.

Andreos1
03 Apr 2016, 11:23 am #59

(03 Apr 2016, 10:36 am)Charles41 Hi remember this area well from when I was little. There was indeed a pit, it was called Ladypark Drift and the site is now retail world. The road with the bus shelter on it used to come out near the NCB offices (which is now Sainsbury). If I remember rightly the 29 Kibblesworth bus used to use it.

Charles
Cheers Charles.
Here is a photo of the viaduct:- http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/hist...y-10272913

As I said earlier, I can remember the NCB building (which was knocked down in the mid 80's.
I can also remember the realignment of the A1 at Eighton Lodge, including the works between there and the Coalhouse Roundabout.

Charles41

03 Apr 2016, 11:49 am #60
(03 Apr 2016, 11:23 am)Andreos1 Cheers Charles.

Part of the old A1 route is still there in the middle of the nature reserve. It was just grassed over and is becoming more and more overgrown. The new A1 route was all agricultural land mainly grazing for cows and sheep. The Kibblesworth bus also used to cross over the long bridge at the end of Tyne Yard. Most of the land was owned by Liddell family who used to live at Ravensworth Castle before it was mainly demolished.

Their estate used to stretch all the way from Wrekenton to Sunniside. The remains of Ravensworth Castle and the surrounding farm land now belong to the Oates family who used to be tenant farmers on the estate. Ravensworth Castle is private and they are not too keen on visitors. The Liddell family still own the freehold of Wrekenton golf course and most of the land under Chowdene housing estate.

The Ravensworth Arms at Lamesley used to be the estate pub for Ravensworth Castle.

Charles
Charles41
03 Apr 2016, 11:49 am #60

(03 Apr 2016, 11:23 am)Andreos1 Cheers Charles.

Part of the old A1 route is still there in the middle of the nature reserve. It was just grassed over and is becoming more and more overgrown. The new A1 route was all agricultural land mainly grazing for cows and sheep. The Kibblesworth bus also used to cross over the long bridge at the end of Tyne Yard. Most of the land was owned by Liddell family who used to live at Ravensworth Castle before it was mainly demolished.

Their estate used to stretch all the way from Wrekenton to Sunniside. The remains of Ravensworth Castle and the surrounding farm land now belong to the Oates family who used to be tenant farmers on the estate. Ravensworth Castle is private and they are not too keen on visitors. The Liddell family still own the freehold of Wrekenton golf course and most of the land under Chowdene housing estate.

The Ravensworth Arms at Lamesley used to be the estate pub for Ravensworth Castle.

Charles

Pages (8) Previous 1 2 3 48 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average