Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat 'Ghost' Bus Infrastructure

'Ghost' Bus Infrastructure

'Ghost' Bus Infrastructure

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (8): 1 2 38 Next
MurdnunoC

01 Mar 2015, 7:37 pm #1
Partially inspired by a thread on Skyscraper City documenting the remnants of old signage appearing on buildings; a post made by Adam Malarkey (See here) showing bus stops retaining old company logos; and a posts made by Andreos and Simmy (see here) in the Bygone-Era revealing old Tyne & Wear PTE signage; I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about various pieces of bus-orientated infrastructure which have been forgotten about in some sense yet remain in situ (hence the use of the word 'ghost').

Hopefully, you'll see what I'm trying to get at here and I'll start with a couple of examples. 

While out and about today, I came across an old Tyne & Wear PTE sign as well as two bus stops maintained by Nexus but not currently in use by any 'public' service (they may be used for scholars but does that really count?).

.jpg
DSCN0153.JPG
Size: 4.46 MB / Downloads: 58

.jpg
DSCN0155.JPG
Size: 4.34 MB / Downloads: 60

The bus stop above is located in Coalburns which hasn't seen a bus service in quite some time. However, Nexus obviously maintain the bus stop for some reason despite not being in use. There is also another bus stop located on the opposite side of the road.

Anyone have any other examples?
Edited 01 Mar 2015, 7:38 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
01 Mar 2015, 7:37 pm #1

Partially inspired by a thread on Skyscraper City documenting the remnants of old signage appearing on buildings; a post made by Adam Malarkey (See here) showing bus stops retaining old company logos; and a posts made by Andreos and Simmy (see here) in the Bygone-Era revealing old Tyne & Wear PTE signage; I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about various pieces of bus-orientated infrastructure which have been forgotten about in some sense yet remain in situ (hence the use of the word 'ghost').

Hopefully, you'll see what I'm trying to get at here and I'll start with a couple of examples. 

While out and about today, I came across an old Tyne & Wear PTE sign as well as two bus stops maintained by Nexus but not currently in use by any 'public' service (they may be used for scholars but does that really count?).

.jpg
DSCN0153.JPG
Size: 4.46 MB / Downloads: 58

.jpg
DSCN0155.JPG
Size: 4.34 MB / Downloads: 60

The bus stop above is located in Coalburns which hasn't seen a bus service in quite some time. However, Nexus obviously maintain the bus stop for some reason despite not being in use. There is also another bus stop located on the opposite side of the road.

Anyone have any other examples?

Adrian

01 Mar 2015, 7:45 pm #2
This sign can still be found in Washington. Still attached, despite numerous repaints to the said lamppost. 

.png
twpte-wash.PNG
Size: 591.16 KB / Downloads: 57

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
01 Mar 2015, 7:45 pm #2

This sign can still be found in Washington. Still attached, despite numerous repaints to the said lamppost. 

.png
twpte-wash.PNG
Size: 591.16 KB / Downloads: 57

MurdnunoC

01 Mar 2015, 7:54 pm #3
(01 Mar 2015, 7:45 pm)aureolin This sign can still be found in Washington. Still attached, despite numerous repaints to the said lamppost. 

Where is it located? Call me insane but I wouldn't mind trying to get to a photograph if the opportunity presents itself.

There's a 'secret' bus shelter located on Busty Bank between Rowlands Gill and Burnopfield. It's been consumed by undergrowth but I believe the actual shelter remains. I may try and get a shot tomorrow depending on the weather and providing its accessible. 
MurdnunoC
01 Mar 2015, 7:54 pm #3

(01 Mar 2015, 7:45 pm)aureolin This sign can still be found in Washington. Still attached, despite numerous repaints to the said lamppost. 

Where is it located? Call me insane but I wouldn't mind trying to get to a photograph if the opportunity presents itself.

There's a 'secret' bus shelter located on Busty Bank between Rowlands Gill and Burnopfield. It's been consumed by undergrowth but I believe the actual shelter remains. I may try and get a shot tomorrow depending on the weather and providing its accessible. 

Adrian

01 Mar 2015, 8:03 pm #4
(01 Mar 2015, 7:54 pm)MurdnunoC Where is it located? Call me insane but I wouldn't mind trying to get to a photograph if the opportunity presents itself.

It's located just off the Castle Rd/Cambrian Way junction in Oxclose, Washington.

Adrian
01 Mar 2015, 8:03 pm #4

(01 Mar 2015, 7:54 pm)MurdnunoC Where is it located? Call me insane but I wouldn't mind trying to get to a photograph if the opportunity presents itself.

It's located just off the Castle Rd/Cambrian Way junction in Oxclose, Washington.

01 Mar 2015, 8:09 pm #5
There's one with the old NORTHERN legals on in Pelton Fell - I'll try and get a photo for you, Adam. Smile
R852 PRG
01 Mar 2015, 8:09 pm #5

There's one with the old NORTHERN legals on in Pelton Fell - I'll try and get a photo for you, Adam. Smile

MurdnunoC

01 Mar 2015, 8:18 pm #6
(01 Mar 2015, 8:09 pm)MarcTheA4 There's one with the old NORTHERN legals on in Pelton Fell - I'll try and get a photo for you, Adam. Smile

Would this be the one you refer to in the thread containing Adam Malarkey's post? A really old one showing Northern General Transport?

I'm in Pelton quite a lot and I've noticed stops, mainly around Stella Gill/Newfield, which still display 'Northern' stickers from the 90s.
MurdnunoC
01 Mar 2015, 8:18 pm #6

(01 Mar 2015, 8:09 pm)MarcTheA4 There's one with the old NORTHERN legals on in Pelton Fell - I'll try and get a photo for you, Adam. Smile

Would this be the one you refer to in the thread containing Adam Malarkey's post? A really old one showing Northern General Transport?

I'm in Pelton quite a lot and I've noticed stops, mainly around Stella Gill/Newfield, which still display 'Northern' stickers from the 90s.

01 Mar 2015, 8:20 pm #7
(01 Mar 2015, 8:18 pm)MurdnunoC Would this be the one you refer to in the thread containing Adam Malarkey's post? A really old one showing Northern General Transport?

That's the one. Smile I'm sure there's loads around the area, but I just know for certain about this one at this specific stop.
R852 PRG
01 Mar 2015, 8:20 pm #7

(01 Mar 2015, 8:18 pm)MurdnunoC Would this be the one you refer to in the thread containing Adam Malarkey's post? A really old one showing Northern General Transport?

That's the one. Smile I'm sure there's loads around the area, but I just know for certain about this one at this specific stop.

Adrian

01 Mar 2015, 8:23 pm #8
I think the one at the top of Station Road, onto the junction with Chantry Road in West Rainton, still has the 'Northern' labelling on.

Adrian
01 Mar 2015, 8:23 pm #8

I think the one at the top of Station Road, onto the junction with Chantry Road in West Rainton, still has the 'Northern' labelling on.

Jimmi

01 Mar 2015, 8:30 pm #9
As I said before a few places round Aycliffe especially round the industrial estate have United stickers on the bottom of lampposts. I will try and get some photos sometime this week if they are indeed still up.
Jimmi
01 Mar 2015, 8:30 pm #9

As I said before a few places round Aycliffe especially round the industrial estate have United stickers on the bottom of lampposts. I will try and get some photos sometime this week if they are indeed still up.

LeeCalder

01 Mar 2015, 10:22 pm #10
There is a bus stop in the middle of Barley Mow (Norfolk Avenue) by the CodFather and paper shop. The bus stop is maintained although the last service there was the 23 /23A in about 2006
LeeCalder
01 Mar 2015, 10:22 pm #10

There is a bus stop in the middle of Barley Mow (Norfolk Avenue) by the CodFather and paper shop. The bus stop is maintained although the last service there was the 23 /23A in about 2006

MurdnunoC

01 Mar 2015, 10:50 pm #11
(01 Mar 2015, 10:22 pm)leestransportphotos There is a bus stop in the middle of Barley Mow (Norfolk Avenue) by the CodFather and paper shop. The bus stop is maintained although the last service there was the 23 /23A in about 2006

I think I know the one you mean. 

Is it this one? 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/Nor...gdea4g!2e0
MurdnunoC
01 Mar 2015, 10:50 pm #11

(01 Mar 2015, 10:22 pm)leestransportphotos There is a bus stop in the middle of Barley Mow (Norfolk Avenue) by the CodFather and paper shop. The bus stop is maintained although the last service there was the 23 /23A in about 2006

I think I know the one you mean. 

Is it this one? 

MurdnunoC

01 Mar 2015, 11:17 pm #12
I've also found the bus stop I was on about in another thread on Ivyway in Pelton. I think it's been removed now.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.873879...iY_3Og!2e0
MurdnunoC
01 Mar 2015, 11:17 pm #12

I've also found the bus stop I was on about in another thread on Ivyway in Pelton. I think it's been removed now.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.873879...iY_3Og!2e0

LeeCalder

02 Mar 2015, 4:23 pm #13
(01 Mar 2015, 10:50 pm)MurdnunoC I think I know the one you mean. 

Is it this one? 

That's the one. There used to be one on the other side, although it got removed after being validated. 

Also, the old Nexus sign on it has been replaced by the new 'B - Buses' sign.
LeeCalder
02 Mar 2015, 4:23 pm #13

(01 Mar 2015, 10:50 pm)MurdnunoC I think I know the one you mean. 

Is it this one? 

That's the one. There used to be one on the other side, although it got removed after being validated. 

Also, the old Nexus sign on it has been replaced by the new 'B - Buses' sign.

Andreos1

02 Mar 2015, 6:19 pm #14
At the junction of Golf Course Road and Success Road, there are new flags and markings - despite nowt going along the stretch to The Beehive.

Forgot about the ones on Barley Mow.

Think I have mentioned the one at the edge of Lumley.
There were DCC ones on Drum Ind Est for years. Not sure if they're still there.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
02 Mar 2015, 6:19 pm #14

At the junction of Golf Course Road and Success Road, there are new flags and markings - despite nowt going along the stretch to The Beehive.

Forgot about the ones on Barley Mow.

Think I have mentioned the one at the edge of Lumley.
There were DCC ones on Drum Ind Est for years. Not sure if they're still there.

02 Mar 2015, 6:27 pm #15
There's a whole load of old Arriva flags around the Hirst Park area of Ashington. In between N/S Crossing and the N/S Road / Green Lane junction there are old Arriva flags displaying the X18. Plessey Woods on the bridge, another old Arriva flag, this time displaying the X31/X32/X33.
omnicity4659
02 Mar 2015, 6:27 pm #15

There's a whole load of old Arriva flags around the Hirst Park area of Ashington. In between N/S Crossing and the N/S Road / Green Lane junction there are old Arriva flags displaying the X18. Plessey Woods on the bridge, another old Arriva flag, this time displaying the X31/X32/X33.

Andreos1

03 Mar 2015, 12:32 pm #16
No idea if it is still there - but there was a TWPTE bus flag outside The Beaconsfield in Low Fell, well into the 90's.
Where is gtom when you need him, he could have had a look after his Sunday dalliances to The Cannon!

Andreos1
03 Mar 2015, 12:32 pm #16

No idea if it is still there - but there was a TWPTE bus flag outside The Beaconsfield in Low Fell, well into the 90's.
Where is gtom when you need him, he could have had a look after his Sunday dalliances to The Cannon!

03 Mar 2015, 12:39 pm #17
(03 Mar 2015, 12:32 pm)Andreos1 No idea if it is still there - but there was a TWPTE bus flag outside The Beaconsfield in Low Fell, well into the 90's.

I heard that he went up his own arse, of course, with a bag of memes. Wink
omnicity4659
03 Mar 2015, 12:39 pm #17

(03 Mar 2015, 12:32 pm)Andreos1 No idea if it is still there - but there was a TWPTE bus flag outside The Beaconsfield in Low Fell, well into the 90's.

I heard that he went up his own arse, of course, with a bag of memes. Wink

MurdnunoC

03 Mar 2015, 12:47 pm #18

Would this be the one located on Beaconsfield Road?

To the best of my knowledge, the Beaconsfield Rd bus stop hasn't saw a regular service stop there for well over 35 years. A few works-services stopped there on the way down to the Valley but that's about it.
MurdnunoC
03 Mar 2015, 12:47 pm #18

Would this be the one located on Beaconsfield Road?

To the best of my knowledge, the Beaconsfield Rd bus stop hasn't saw a regular service stop there for well over 35 years. A few works-services stopped there on the way down to the Valley but that's about it.

Andreos1

03 Mar 2015, 12:51 pm #19
(03 Mar 2015, 12:47 pm)MurdnunoC Would this be the one located on Beaconsfield Road?

Yeah, that's the one.
There is (or was) a scholars service used it fairly recently, but no idea if the flag has been changed.

edit: There are no bus stops at all on Beaconsfield Road now. Just had a look on Google Maps.
The ones on Drum Ind Est, have been removed - but not sure if they were removed by official means.

If you look here, you can see it has been snapped off. The fixings are still attached to the lampost - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.877244...l19g3g!2e0
https://goo.gl/maps/3eISj
Edited 03 Mar 2015, 3:34 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
03 Mar 2015, 12:51 pm #19

(03 Mar 2015, 12:47 pm)MurdnunoC Would this be the one located on Beaconsfield Road?

Yeah, that's the one.
There is (or was) a scholars service used it fairly recently, but no idea if the flag has been changed.

edit: There are no bus stops at all on Beaconsfield Road now. Just had a look on Google Maps.
The ones on Drum Ind Est, have been removed - but not sure if they were removed by official means.

If you look here, you can see it has been snapped off. The fixings are still attached to the lampost - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.877244...l19g3g!2e0
https://goo.gl/maps/3eISj

Jimmi

03 Mar 2015, 3:42 pm #20
Photo of a bus stop around Aycliffe Industrial Estate which is no longer in use despite the fact that the 5/5A passes it.
.jpg
DSC_0284[1].JPG
Size: 1.02 MB / Downloads: 40

Also at this non stop is a United bus stop sticker on the lamppost.
.jpg
DSC_0285[1].JPG
Size: 1.01 MB / Downloads: 37

There was actually more of these United bus stop stickers round Aycliffe but many of them have now pretty much worn away now so you can't tell they were actually there anymore.

Think the stop for Bishop Auckland bound 5/5A's in Middridge still has a similar looking sticker on the bus shelter, but it's for Arriva.
Jimmi
03 Mar 2015, 3:42 pm #20

Photo of a bus stop around Aycliffe Industrial Estate which is no longer in use despite the fact that the 5/5A passes it.

.jpg
DSC_0284[1].JPG
Size: 1.02 MB / Downloads: 40

Also at this non stop is a United bus stop sticker on the lamppost.
.jpg
DSC_0285[1].JPG
Size: 1.01 MB / Downloads: 37

There was actually more of these United bus stop stickers round Aycliffe but many of them have now pretty much worn away now so you can't tell they were actually there anymore.

Think the stop for Bishop Auckland bound 5/5A's in Middridge still has a similar looking sticker on the bus shelter, but it's for Arriva.

Pages (8): 1 2 38 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average