Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat 'Ghost' Bus Infrastructure

'Ghost' Bus Infrastructure

'Ghost' Bus Infrastructure

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (8): Previous 1 2 38 Next
Andreos1

03 Mar 2015, 3:52 pm #21
https://goo.gl/maps/tNlVO. This one has had the flag changed recently. It had a Go Ahead Northern one on for a long time. Nowt has used it since the 231/735 were merged into the 21A (as far as I am aware).

- https://goo.gl/maps/SqLgf. This hasn't had a service bus since the 177 was withdrawn circa 2006. There is a scholars bus uses the A183 though. It is a 'use both sides' stop.

https://goo.gl/maps/23wkh. Still in use. Has a Go Ahead Northern stop fixed to the brickwork and the DCC flag attached to the pole

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Mar 2015, 3:52 pm #21

https://goo.gl/maps/tNlVO. This one has had the flag changed recently. It had a Go Ahead Northern one on for a long time. Nowt has used it since the 231/735 were merged into the 21A (as far as I am aware).

- https://goo.gl/maps/SqLgf. This hasn't had a service bus since the 177 was withdrawn circa 2006. There is a scholars bus uses the A183 though. It is a 'use both sides' stop.

https://goo.gl/maps/23wkh. Still in use. Has a Go Ahead Northern stop fixed to the brickwork and the DCC flag attached to the pole

Adrian

05 Mar 2015, 9:05 pm #22
[Image: 6964707811_b525ee985c.jpg]Worswick Street Bus Station, Newcastle by Borderer 2009, on Flickr

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
05 Mar 2015, 9:05 pm #22

[Image: 6964707811_b525ee985c.jpg]Worswick Street Bus Station, Newcastle by Borderer 2009, on Flickr

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

MurdnunoC

08 Mar 2015, 5:41 pm #23
The hidden bus-shelter on Busty Bank near Gibside.

.jpg
DSCN0159.JPG
Size: 4.41 MB / Downloads: 42

At a glance, it would appear to be just another overgrown hedge as the brickwork is not at all visible. However, on further inspection...

.jpg
DSCN0161.JPG
Size: 4.52 MB / Downloads: 42

Admittedly, not the best photo, but you can see the brickwork and the remains of a wooden bench inside the shelter itself.

I couldn't really venture any further into the shelter so that's the best I could achieve.

If I was still 15 years old and looking for somewhere to stay dry while downing a bottle of Pulse on a Friday night, I think that shelter would provide for my needs. 
MurdnunoC
08 Mar 2015, 5:41 pm #23

The hidden bus-shelter on Busty Bank near Gibside.

.jpg
DSCN0159.JPG
Size: 4.41 MB / Downloads: 42

At a glance, it would appear to be just another overgrown hedge as the brickwork is not at all visible. However, on further inspection...

.jpg
DSCN0161.JPG
Size: 4.52 MB / Downloads: 42

Admittedly, not the best photo, but you can see the brickwork and the remains of a wooden bench inside the shelter itself.

I couldn't really venture any further into the shelter so that's the best I could achieve.

If I was still 15 years old and looking for somewhere to stay dry while downing a bottle of Pulse on a Friday night, I think that shelter would provide for my needs. 

MrPottski

09 Mar 2015, 7:59 pm #24
Here's an old Northern one from Wetherburn Avenue in Murton, as far as I know, there haven't been services down there for many, many years

8 Wetherburn Ave

http://goo.gl/maps/kAJrP
MrPottski
09 Mar 2015, 7:59 pm #24

Here's an old Northern one from Wetherburn Avenue in Murton, as far as I know, there haven't been services down there for many, many years

8 Wetherburn Ave

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

09 Mar 2015, 9:03 pm #25
(09 Mar 2015, 7:59 pm)MrPottski Here's an old Northern one from Wetherburn Avenue in Murton, as far as I know, there haven't been services down there for many, many years

8 Wetherburn Ave

Last time a scheduled service went round there was probably 20 years ago, the 149 used to go round there, the last time a bus of any kind went round was probably 2008 when Police had the top of Barnes Roar cordoned off to investigate a murder, I used the bus that day as well...

There are also 3 or 4 bus stops around Cornwall Estate despite not seeing use for at least 2 years...

Despite no physical bus stop, the bus stop markings on Burnip Road and Webb Avenue are still there, buses up those streets were stopped when the 154 became the 65

[Image: 95433e82731bf7c54c117d558922846b.jpg]

[Image: d50cbcbc3084dac4f857ea4ea561f269.jpg]
MrFozz
09 Mar 2015, 9:03 pm #25

(09 Mar 2015, 7:59 pm)MrPottski Here's an old Northern one from Wetherburn Avenue in Murton, as far as I know, there haven't been services down there for many, many years

8 Wetherburn Ave

Last time a scheduled service went round there was probably 20 years ago, the 149 used to go round there, the last time a bus of any kind went round was probably 2008 when Police had the top of Barnes Roar cordoned off to investigate a murder, I used the bus that day as well...

There are also 3 or 4 bus stops around Cornwall Estate despite not seeing use for at least 2 years...

Despite no physical bus stop, the bus stop markings on Burnip Road and Webb Avenue are still there, buses up those streets were stopped when the 154 became the 65

[Image: 95433e82731bf7c54c117d558922846b.jpg]

[Image: d50cbcbc3084dac4f857ea4ea561f269.jpg]

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

10 Mar 2015, 10:46 pm #26
A bus stop in Dalton-le-Dale, I dont remember a bus ever going through there

[Image: 88db791f8dee5ff3385fd7ac1b5f9890.jpg]
MrFozz
10 Mar 2015, 10:46 pm #26

A bus stop in Dalton-le-Dale, I dont remember a bus ever going through there

[Image: 88db791f8dee5ff3385fd7ac1b5f9890.jpg]

MurdnunoC

11 Mar 2015, 12:12 pm #27
(10 Mar 2015, 10:46 pm)MrFozz A bus stop in Dalton-le-Dale, I dont remember a bus ever going through there

I tried to do a little research in an attempt to find out if any service used that bus stop and I can't find anything.

There have been a number of local services over the years between Seaham and Murton. When bus services were deregulated in 1986, operators attempted to drum up new business by venturing into estates and villages without established public transport links. It's possible one of the local buses diverted into Dalton-le-Dale for a short while before being withdrawn, however, it's rare that bus stops were erected as many buses operated on a 'hail and ride' basis. For example, Hanover Estate in Winlaton has had a constant bus service since deregulation and is currently part of a main bus route, yet no bus stops have been erected on Hanover Driver, Silverdale Drive or Beverley Drive. Is it possible for a bus to turn around in Dalton-le-Dale or would the bus continue along Dene Road into Seaham? Have you ever noticed any scholar services going into Dalton-le-Dale?
MurdnunoC
11 Mar 2015, 12:12 pm #27

(10 Mar 2015, 10:46 pm)MrFozz A bus stop in Dalton-le-Dale, I dont remember a bus ever going through there

I tried to do a little research in an attempt to find out if any service used that bus stop and I can't find anything.

There have been a number of local services over the years between Seaham and Murton. When bus services were deregulated in 1986, operators attempted to drum up new business by venturing into estates and villages without established public transport links. It's possible one of the local buses diverted into Dalton-le-Dale for a short while before being withdrawn, however, it's rare that bus stops were erected as many buses operated on a 'hail and ride' basis. For example, Hanover Estate in Winlaton has had a constant bus service since deregulation and is currently part of a main bus route, yet no bus stops have been erected on Hanover Driver, Silverdale Drive or Beverley Drive. Is it possible for a bus to turn around in Dalton-le-Dale or would the bus continue along Dene Road into Seaham? Have you ever noticed any scholar services going into Dalton-le-Dale?

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

11 Mar 2015, 12:58 pm #28
(11 Mar 2015, 12:12 pm)MurdnunoC I tried to do a little research in an attempt to find out if any service used that bus stop and I can't find anything.

Been having a think about this, and the 149 may have gone through there on a Sunday back in the Early 90's, a service which also served Wetherburn Ave, the stop mentioned earlier in the thread...

149 was jointly operated by Northern and Favourite(PM, Sunday and Bank Holidays in the early-mid 90's) and it could be that Sunday Services went through there to Seaham, it comes out at the bottom of Princess Road...

I dont think Scholars Services have ever gone through Dalton-le-Dale...

Will have a hunt around myself and see if I can find anything myself
MrFozz
11 Mar 2015, 12:58 pm #28

(11 Mar 2015, 12:12 pm)MurdnunoC I tried to do a little research in an attempt to find out if any service used that bus stop and I can't find anything.

Been having a think about this, and the 149 may have gone through there on a Sunday back in the Early 90's, a service which also served Wetherburn Ave, the stop mentioned earlier in the thread...

149 was jointly operated by Northern and Favourite(PM, Sunday and Bank Holidays in the early-mid 90's) and it could be that Sunday Services went through there to Seaham, it comes out at the bottom of Princess Road...

Andreos1

11 Mar 2015, 1:08 pm #29

(11 Mar 2015, 12:58 pm)MrFozz Been having a think about this, and the 149 may have gone through there on a Sunday back in the Early 90's, a service which also served Wetherburn Ave, the stop mentioned earlier in the thread...

I have seen those stops in Dalton le Dale a few times (forgetting about them) and could only guess that if a service bus hadn't been down there, either a scholars or workers service operated in the area.
Given the nature of the work around Seaham, the amount of workers buses that came from the pits and the distance from the main road - maybe that is why the stops are there.

There is a big car park in the area, which could have been used as a turning circle, although I have no idea how long that wooded area has been like that.

Andreos1
11 Mar 2015, 1:08 pm #29

(11 Mar 2015, 12:58 pm)MrFozz Been having a think about this, and the 149 may have gone through there on a Sunday back in the Early 90's, a service which also served Wetherburn Ave, the stop mentioned earlier in the thread...

I have seen those stops in Dalton le Dale a few times (forgetting about them) and could only guess that if a service bus hadn't been down there, either a scholars or workers service operated in the area.
Given the nature of the work around Seaham, the amount of workers buses that came from the pits and the distance from the main road - maybe that is why the stops are there.

There is a big car park in the area, which could have been used as a turning circle, although I have no idea how long that wooded area has been like that.

MurdnunoC

11 Mar 2015, 6:54 pm #30
The Go-Ahead Group timetables are still viewable in the Bygone Era of the forum. I've had a look at the route of the 149 and it doesn't go into Dalton-le-Dale. The Times Inn is a timing point but, as you probably know, that's on the main road. As you correctly state, GAG operated the Mon-Sat daytime 149 service with the PM and Sunday service operated by Favourite.

The Stagecoach/Busways section is un-viewable with one of those '404 Request' messages popping up. As this section contains services operated by Favourite, I am unable to access the timetable for the 149 but it is there so you might be right about the Evening and Sunday service being routed differently.

I believe cbma06 provided the timetables for both operators. Presuming he doesn't read this, one of us could ask him to provide timetable again. If does read this, then perhaps he'll be kind enough to rescan the timetable for Favourite service 149 Wink
MurdnunoC
11 Mar 2015, 6:54 pm #30

The Go-Ahead Group timetables are still viewable in the Bygone Era of the forum. I've had a look at the route of the 149 and it doesn't go into Dalton-le-Dale. The Times Inn is a timing point but, as you probably know, that's on the main road. As you correctly state, GAG operated the Mon-Sat daytime 149 service with the PM and Sunday service operated by Favourite.

The Stagecoach/Busways section is un-viewable with one of those '404 Request' messages popping up. As this section contains services operated by Favourite, I am unable to access the timetable for the 149 but it is there so you might be right about the Evening and Sunday service being routed differently.

I believe cbma06 provided the timetables for both operators. Presuming he doesn't read this, one of us could ask him to provide timetable again. If does read this, then perhaps he'll be kind enough to rescan the timetable for Favourite service 149 Wink

Dan

Site Administrator

11 Mar 2015, 7:20 pm #31
(11 Mar 2015, 6:54 pm)MurdnunoC The Go-Ahead Group timetables are still viewable in the Bygone Era of the forum. I've had a look at the route of the 149 and it doesn't go into Dalton-le-Dale. The Times Inn is a timing point but, as you probably know, that's on the main road. As you correctly state, GAG operated the Mon-Sat daytime 149 service with the PM and Sunday service operated by Favourite.

Needn't re-scan anything - we've still got it all! Brandon was in the middle of changing the links from the old (free) server to the new (paid) server but didn't ever finish before leaving us. Over time, due to the inactivity on the account, the account has been deleted and the files subsequently lost from the old server, which is why the links on the forum are no longer accessible. Brandon must have changed the Go-Ahead ones to the new server first.

.pdf
149 (AUGUST 92).pdf
Size: 4.29 MB / Downloads: 51
Dan
11 Mar 2015, 7:20 pm #31

(11 Mar 2015, 6:54 pm)MurdnunoC The Go-Ahead Group timetables are still viewable in the Bygone Era of the forum. I've had a look at the route of the 149 and it doesn't go into Dalton-le-Dale. The Times Inn is a timing point but, as you probably know, that's on the main road. As you correctly state, GAG operated the Mon-Sat daytime 149 service with the PM and Sunday service operated by Favourite.

Needn't re-scan anything - we've still got it all! Brandon was in the middle of changing the links from the old (free) server to the new (paid) server but didn't ever finish before leaving us. Over time, due to the inactivity on the account, the account has been deleted and the files subsequently lost from the old server, which is why the links on the forum are no longer accessible. Brandon must have changed the Go-Ahead ones to the new server first.

.pdf
149 (AUGUST 92).pdf
Size: 4.29 MB / Downloads: 51

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

11 Mar 2015, 7:50 pm #32
So...We are no further forward in what buses possibly went through Dalton-le-Dale...according to the Favourite timetable they were routed down The Avenue at Deneside...

I will ask on the Memories of Murton Groups on Facebook, see if the question of buses in Dalton-le-Dale can be answered
MrFozz
11 Mar 2015, 7:50 pm #32

So...We are no further forward in what buses possibly went through Dalton-le-Dale...according to the Favourite timetable they were routed down The Avenue at Deneside...

I will ask on the Memories of Murton Groups on Facebook, see if the question of buses in Dalton-le-Dale can be answered

MrPottski

11 Mar 2015, 9:05 pm #33
I'm going for a stab in the dark here, given the fact I used to live on Princess Road many moons ago, but I seem to remember an old John Bell service may have gone through there at some stage, 148 possibly?
MrPottski
11 Mar 2015, 9:05 pm #33

I'm going for a stab in the dark here, given the fact I used to live on Princess Road many moons ago, but I seem to remember an old John Bell service may have gone through there at some stage, 148 possibly?

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

11 Mar 2015, 9:18 pm #34
(11 Mar 2015, 9:05 pm)MrPottski I'm going for a stab in the dark here, given the fact I used to live on Princess Road many moons ago, but I seem to remember an old John Bell service may have gone through there at some stage, 148 possibly?
Good shout that mate...was the 148 what would go on to be GNE East Durham 203???

EDIT:

I asked on the Murton group on Facebook about this, and the older members also cannot remember buses going through the Dale
Edited 11 Mar 2015, 9:21 pm by MrFozz.
MrFozz
11 Mar 2015, 9:18 pm #34

(11 Mar 2015, 9:05 pm)MrPottski I'm going for a stab in the dark here, given the fact I used to live on Princess Road many moons ago, but I seem to remember an old John Bell service may have gone through there at some stage, 148 possibly?
Good shout that mate...was the 148 what would go on to be GNE East Durham 203???

EDIT:

I asked on the Murton group on Facebook about this, and the older members also cannot remember buses going through the Dale

MurdnunoC

11 Mar 2015, 9:32 pm #35

Can you remember the year per chance? 

(11 Mar 2015, 9:18 pm)MrFozz Good shout that mate...was the 148 what would go on to be GNE East Durham 203???

Depends on when it was. A service 148 existed in 1978 running between Houghton and Seaham, operated by Northern, however by 1986 this service had been withdrawn. Also, this service did not operate via Dalton-le-Dale.

Another 148 service was registered sometime after deregulation. This 148 does not appear in the GAG timetables in the Bygone Era so it may have been reintroduced by another operator - presumably by Jon Bell (I'm not familiar with this operator) as Mr Pottski suggests. Before passing back into the hands of GNE I believe it was operated by JayLine - before JayLine was absorbed into the Go-Ahead family.   
MurdnunoC
11 Mar 2015, 9:32 pm #35

Can you remember the year per chance? 

(11 Mar 2015, 9:18 pm)MrFozz Good shout that mate...was the 148 what would go on to be GNE East Durham 203???

Depends on when it was. A service 148 existed in 1978 running between Houghton and Seaham, operated by Northern, however by 1986 this service had been withdrawn. Also, this service did not operate via Dalton-le-Dale.

Another 148 service was registered sometime after deregulation. This 148 does not appear in the GAG timetables in the Bygone Era so it may have been reintroduced by another operator - presumably by Jon Bell (I'm not familiar with this operator) as Mr Pottski suggests. Before passing back into the hands of GNE I believe it was operated by JayLine - before JayLine was absorbed into the Go-Ahead family.   

Dan

Site Administrator

11 Mar 2015, 9:35 pm #36
I saw a 148 timetable earlier and I am sure it was in an independents folder with the mention of Seaham? I may be mistaken as I was hunting for the 149 timetable at the time - will check tomorrow morning if I have time. Someone give me a shout tomorrow night by PM / Facebook if I forget.
Dan
11 Mar 2015, 9:35 pm #36

I saw a 148 timetable earlier and I am sure it was in an independents folder with the mention of Seaham? I may be mistaken as I was hunting for the 149 timetable at the time - will check tomorrow morning if I have time. Someone give me a shout tomorrow night by PM / Facebook if I forget.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

11 Mar 2015, 9:40 pm #37
(11 Mar 2015, 9:32 pm)MurdnunoC Can you remember the year per chance? 

The 148 I was thinking of probably was Jaylines incarnation of it
MrFozz
11 Mar 2015, 9:40 pm #37

(11 Mar 2015, 9:32 pm)MurdnunoC Can you remember the year per chance? 

The 148 I was thinking of probably was Jaylines incarnation of it

MurdnunoC

11 Mar 2015, 10:37 pm #38
I think I may have cracked the mystery surrounding what bus served Dalton-le-Dale. 

When Dan said he may have came across a timetable for an independently operated 148 service, I remembered that OK also operated services in the East Durham area. Within the Bygone Era, a thread exists for OK Motor Services containing timetables. One of the timetables is entitled 'OK Travel - The Book' which lists all services operated by the company circa 1990. It's still accessible and downloadable. Within, lies the 151 - an hourly service between Seaham and New Seaham via Dalton-le-Dale. The timing point shown for Dalton-le-Dale is 'The Church' and the route itself lists Dene Road.

It's still possible that another service served the village, but at least I've uncovered one.

[img=612x841]fileUndecided//page23image376[/img]

Edited 11 Mar 2015, 10:39 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
11 Mar 2015, 10:37 pm #38

I think I may have cracked the mystery surrounding what bus served Dalton-le-Dale. 

When Dan said he may have came across a timetable for an independently operated 148 service, I remembered that OK also operated services in the East Durham area. Within the Bygone Era, a thread exists for OK Motor Services containing timetables. One of the timetables is entitled 'OK Travel - The Book' which lists all services operated by the company circa 1990. It's still accessible and downloadable. Within, lies the 151 - an hourly service between Seaham and New Seaham via Dalton-le-Dale. The timing point shown for Dalton-le-Dale is 'The Church' and the route itself lists Dene Road.

It's still possible that another service served the village, but at least I've uncovered one.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

11 Mar 2015, 10:40 pm #39
(11 Mar 2015, 10:37 pm)MurdnunoC I think I may have cracked the mystery surrounding what bus served Dalton-le-Dale. 

Where getting somewhere now Adam Big Grin
MrFozz
11 Mar 2015, 10:40 pm #39

(11 Mar 2015, 10:37 pm)MurdnunoC I think I may have cracked the mystery surrounding what bus served Dalton-le-Dale. 

Where getting somewhere now Adam Big Grin

MrPottski

12 Mar 2015, 11:54 am #40
I definitely remember John Bell Travel (Sunderland) operating the 148, using old Duple coaches after 1986. They built an outstation on a tiny industrial estate on Strangford Road in Seaham, for that and the school contracts they used to run. Now, the 151 was a service which was always passed from pillar to post, along with the 147, 148 and 150. Northern had a stab a few times, the aforementioned John Bell and various others ran them. Ironically, the John Bell then went on to be a depot manager for Classic, then was passed to Arriva. Small world!
MrPottski
12 Mar 2015, 11:54 am #40

I definitely remember John Bell Travel (Sunderland) operating the 148, using old Duple coaches after 1986. They built an outstation on a tiny industrial estate on Strangford Road in Seaham, for that and the school contracts they used to run. Now, the 151 was a service which was always passed from pillar to post, along with the 147, 148 and 150. Northern had a stab a few times, the aforementioned John Bell and various others ran them. Ironically, the John Bell then went on to be a depot manager for Classic, then was passed to Arriva. Small world!

Pages (8): Previous 1 2 38 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average