Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat What's annoying you today? V3

What's annoying you today? V3

What's annoying you today? V3

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (150) Previous 110 11 12150 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

21 Mar 2015, 5:49 pm #201
(21 Mar 2015, 5:49 pm)Robert Do pacers even operate the Newcastle-Carlisle journeys? Thought it was just the sprinters that did them.

They do. I had the misfortune once last summer.
Dan
21 Mar 2015, 5:49 pm #201

(21 Mar 2015, 5:49 pm)Robert Do pacers even operate the Newcastle-Carlisle journeys? Thought it was just the sprinters that did them.

They do. I had the misfortune once last summer.

21 Mar 2015, 5:50 pm #202

Aye, whatever Heaton have tbh.
omnicity4659
21 Mar 2015, 5:50 pm #202

Aye, whatever Heaton have tbh.

Andreos1

21 Mar 2015, 10:27 pm #203
(21 Mar 2015, 5:37 pm)Racer_Experience The sound of a pacer train departing to Carlisle this train had horrible break sounds to make matters wors it was 2 joined together it hurt my ears as it departed Newcastle

Two sets joined together on some runs.
Had the unfortunate position of being around Bensham this afternoon when a run came in from the direction of the Metrocentre. I heard them, before seeing it.

As a side note, it was full to the brim.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
21 Mar 2015, 10:27 pm #203

(21 Mar 2015, 5:37 pm)Racer_Experience The sound of a pacer train departing to Carlisle this train had horrible break sounds to make matters wors it was 2 joined together it hurt my ears as it departed Newcastle

Two sets joined together on some runs.
Had the unfortunate position of being around Bensham this afternoon when a run came in from the direction of the Metrocentre. I heard them, before seeing it.

Dan

Site Administrator

21 Mar 2015, 10:30 pm #204
(21 Mar 2015, 10:27 pm)Andreos1 Two sets joined together on some runs.

You don't hear them for 8 hours every day right outside your office window!

I will be deaf in a few years time, I'm sure...!
Dan
21 Mar 2015, 10:30 pm #204

(21 Mar 2015, 10:27 pm)Andreos1 Two sets joined together on some runs.

You don't hear them for 8 hours every day right outside your office window!

Jimmi

21 Mar 2015, 10:35 pm #205
(21 Mar 2015, 10:30 pm)Dan You don't hear them for 8 hours every day right outside your office window!

I can hear them from my house at times, thankfully we have a very poor level of service (every 2 hours).

Can also often hear a "honk honk" sort of sound that sounds like a miserable clown.
Jimmi
21 Mar 2015, 10:35 pm #205

(21 Mar 2015, 10:30 pm)Dan You don't hear them for 8 hours every day right outside your office window!

I can hear them from my house at times, thankfully we have a very poor level of service (every 2 hours).

Can also often hear a "honk honk" sort of sound that sounds like a miserable clown.

22 Mar 2015, 12:34 am #206
Sometimes (although I live about a mile away from the railway station), I can hear the horn of a HST or Class 91 early in the morning. Big Grin
R852 PRG
22 Mar 2015, 12:34 am #206

Sometimes (although I live about a mile away from the railway station), I can hear the horn of a HST or Class 91 early in the morning. Big Grin

22 Mar 2015, 12:37 am #207

You'll be elsewhere by then, Dan...

The Right Honourable His Royal Highness the Lord Sir Daniel Graham, CBE MBE OBE and whatever else there is...Big Grin.
Edited 22 Mar 2015, 12:40 am by R852 PRG.
R852 PRG
22 Mar 2015, 12:37 am #207

You'll be elsewhere by then, Dan...

The Right Honourable His Royal Highness the Lord Sir Daniel Graham, CBE MBE OBE and whatever else there is...Big Grin.

Michael

22 Mar 2015, 4:32 pm #208
This assignment, we got it on the 16.3.15... and its due in today... only did one lesson on it!

Good points to it.... No word count.... think i'll target 1k of words...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Mar 2015, 4:32 pm #208

This assignment, we got it on the 16.3.15... and its due in today... only did one lesson on it!

Good points to it.... No word count.... think i'll target 1k of words...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Jimmi

22 Mar 2015, 8:04 pm #209
Just feel in such a bad mood right now.

Seeming to think why I'm bothering with Flickr and I am thinking that no-one really cares what I do and feel like no-one is following me, even though I do have a decent amount of followers and get a good amount of favourites on most photos.

I have no idea why I am feeling like this right now, earlier this afternoon I was thinking that I have a good number of followers and people who view my Flickr but every so often I just seem to think that I have very few followers when that is not the case, think it could be a case of jealousy as all day I've been seeing Marcus' photo which made it onto Explore popping up on my activity page and I am thinking it is good that he got a photo on there but at the same time I am thinking "why can't I get a photo on Explore, all the effort I put into my Flickr and I feel like I am getting nowhere and I am wasting my time" I don't know why I am thinking this and I am hating myself for thinking this.

Think this could possibly stem back to when I was in school as I wasn't that popular so no-one payed that much attention to me and then when I did things at school such as sporting events everyone else would get praise and it was like I wasn't even there and it just made my existence feel pointless and wondered why I even bothered trying to do anything, even people who did things worse than me would get showered with praise and I would just be sat feeling neglected, seriously I often felt like I was invisible to everyone at school.

I am zero idea why I sometimes get like this and it makes me hate myself for thinking this.

Sorry if am boring you all with my crazy down feelings or you disagree with what I said and please don't think I am up my arse for wanting more people to view my Flickr and wanting a photo on Explore.

Honestly I am grateful for all the followers I have on Flickr and that people view it.
Jimmi
22 Mar 2015, 8:04 pm #209

Just feel in such a bad mood right now.

Seeming to think why I'm bothering with Flickr and I am thinking that no-one really cares what I do and feel like no-one is following me, even though I do have a decent amount of followers and get a good amount of favourites on most photos.

I have no idea why I am feeling like this right now, earlier this afternoon I was thinking that I have a good number of followers and people who view my Flickr but every so often I just seem to think that I have very few followers when that is not the case, think it could be a case of jealousy as all day I've been seeing Marcus' photo which made it onto Explore popping up on my activity page and I am thinking it is good that he got a photo on there but at the same time I am thinking "why can't I get a photo on Explore, all the effort I put into my Flickr and I feel like I am getting nowhere and I am wasting my time" I don't know why I am thinking this and I am hating myself for thinking this.

Think this could possibly stem back to when I was in school as I wasn't that popular so no-one payed that much attention to me and then when I did things at school such as sporting events everyone else would get praise and it was like I wasn't even there and it just made my existence feel pointless and wondered why I even bothered trying to do anything, even people who did things worse than me would get showered with praise and I would just be sat feeling neglected, seriously I often felt like I was invisible to everyone at school.

I am zero idea why I sometimes get like this and it makes me hate myself for thinking this.

Sorry if am boring you all with my crazy down feelings or you disagree with what I said and please don't think I am up my arse for wanting more people to view my Flickr and wanting a photo on Explore.

Honestly I am grateful for all the followers I have on Flickr and that people view it.

Adrian

22 Mar 2015, 8:21 pm #210
I quite enjoy looking at your photos, Jimmi. I wouldn't be following you otherwise. Smile A lot of people get loads of faves/comments, simply because they're following hundreds or thousands of people, who in turn follow back. 

Not entirely sure of the criteria to get on Explore, but I think I managed it once with a photo of 5347. Complete randomness, but ended up with 18k views and 86 faves from randoms. 

Just keep doing what you do. Get yourself out there and try different places for photos. If you're stuck for ideas, then I'm sure other members of NEB will come up with some suggestions for you? A few of us in the past have spoken of using Google Maps to find places on routes for shots, and www.suncalc.net (that Dan suggested once) also comes in handy for working out the best time to be somewhere. 

The other alternative is to catch up with others from NEB when you're out and about? I know you live a lot further south than others, so it may help you heading out with someone who knows places, in say Tyneside for example, a lot better than you maybe do?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
22 Mar 2015, 8:21 pm #210

I quite enjoy looking at your photos, Jimmi. I wouldn't be following you otherwise. Smile A lot of people get loads of faves/comments, simply because they're following hundreds or thousands of people, who in turn follow back. 

Not entirely sure of the criteria to get on Explore, but I think I managed it once with a photo of 5347. Complete randomness, but ended up with 18k views and 86 faves from randoms. 

Just keep doing what you do. Get yourself out there and try different places for photos. If you're stuck for ideas, then I'm sure other members of NEB will come up with some suggestions for you? A few of us in the past have spoken of using Google Maps to find places on routes for shots, and www.suncalc.net (that Dan suggested once) also comes in handy for working out the best time to be somewhere. 

The other alternative is to catch up with others from NEB when you're out and about? I know you live a lot further south than others, so it may help you heading out with someone who knows places, in say Tyneside for example, a lot better than you maybe do?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Andreos1

22 Mar 2015, 8:35 pm #211
(22 Mar 2015, 8:04 pm)Jimmi Just feel in such a bad mood right now.

I don't have a Flickr account and don't pretend to know anything about the politics that goes on in the world of Flickr (I think I asked some questions about it a while back), but can only compare it to likes on here or fb and favourites on Twitter.

I get why it may be frustrating, but as long as you're happy, what difference does it make if people (who going from discussion elsewhere), favourite owt that has a driver, a number and a door - regardless of whether it is a poor shot or not.
Quality often doesn't come into it on here, we have all seen a one liner generate more likes, than a well written piece on x, y or z.
The amount of viral tosh put on fb, that gets shared about and 'liked' is silly too.
Do the kids still do that 'like for a like' thing on fb?

Stick with it, do what you're doing, learn from it and your moment will come.

Andreos1
22 Mar 2015, 8:35 pm #211

I don't have a Flickr account and don't pretend to know anything about the politics that goes on in the world of Flickr (I think I asked some questions about it a while back), but can only compare it to likes on here or fb and favourites on Twitter.

I get why it may be frustrating, but as long as you're happy, what difference does it make if people (who going from discussion elsewhere), favourite owt that has a driver, a number and a door - regardless of whether it is a poor shot or not.
Quality often doesn't come into it on here, we have all seen a one liner generate more likes, than a well written piece on x, y or z.
The amount of viral tosh put on fb, that gets shared about and 'liked' is silly too.
Do the kids still do that 'like for a like' thing on fb?

Stick with it, do what you're doing, learn from it and your moment will come.

Jimmi

22 Mar 2015, 8:36 pm #212
(22 Mar 2015, 8:21 pm)aureolin I quite enjoy looking at your photos, Jimmi. I wouldn't be following you otherwise. Smile A lot of people get loads of faves/comments, simply because they're following hundreds or thousands of people, who in turn follow back. 

Thanks!

I do try my hardest to get people to view and I have 102 followers and I am following 103 so that is pretty good really especially as I only joined Flickr 6 months ago.

I am very shy and struggle to go up to people, especially if I can't put a name to the face.

Was actually looking at how photos end up on Explore and it appears that it is basically a lottery where 500 photos end up on there, apparently it has something do to do with views, comments and favourites a photo gets - so if this is the case I don't think there will be much chance I will ever get on there as I don't get many comments.

Normally I am not bothered about this sort of thing but it does happen sometimes and most days I probably wouldn't care less about Explore. Would love just one photo to pop up on there someday though.
Jimmi
22 Mar 2015, 8:36 pm #212

(22 Mar 2015, 8:21 pm)aureolin I quite enjoy looking at your photos, Jimmi. I wouldn't be following you otherwise. Smile A lot of people get loads of faves/comments, simply because they're following hundreds or thousands of people, who in turn follow back. 

Thanks!

I do try my hardest to get people to view and I have 102 followers and I am following 103 so that is pretty good really especially as I only joined Flickr 6 months ago.

I am very shy and struggle to go up to people, especially if I can't put a name to the face.

Was actually looking at how photos end up on Explore and it appears that it is basically a lottery where 500 photos end up on there, apparently it has something do to do with views, comments and favourites a photo gets - so if this is the case I don't think there will be much chance I will ever get on there as I don't get many comments.

Normally I am not bothered about this sort of thing but it does happen sometimes and most days I probably wouldn't care less about Explore. Would love just one photo to pop up on there someday though.

Davie

Banned

22 Mar 2015, 8:37 pm #213

Jimmi, your photos are fantastic, much better than. There is nothing wrong with them, and if you don't like them, just keep practicing them, and you'll be fine  Smile
Davie
22 Mar 2015, 8:37 pm #213

Jimmi, your photos are fantastic, much better than. There is nothing wrong with them, and if you don't like them, just keep practicing them, and you'll be fine  Smile

22 Mar 2015, 8:37 pm #214
I agree with the above comments, Jimmi. I like the variety of photos you bring to the community, a lot of independents in your area that normally don't really get much attention on Flickr, as well as a lot of the mainstream stuff.

I'm really pleased I got a photo on Explore, but I feel it should really go to somebody who dedicates lots of time to photography (such as yourself) as I'm just a ''take a few photos that may be worthy of uploading'' sort of person. Whereas you take photos on a daily basis, obviously having to fit it around other things, and you travel to various parts of the region to take photos of lots of different things, which I must say, is a commendable effort from my point of view.

I'm sure one day you'll get a photo on Explore. Smile I honestly don't know what is so special about my photo of 6063, no better than photos taken by the likes of Dan, aureolin, yourself, yet it's somehow been selected.
Edited 22 Mar 2015, 8:37 pm by R852 PRG.
R852 PRG
22 Mar 2015, 8:37 pm #214

I agree with the above comments, Jimmi. I like the variety of photos you bring to the community, a lot of independents in your area that normally don't really get much attention on Flickr, as well as a lot of the mainstream stuff.

I'm really pleased I got a photo on Explore, but I feel it should really go to somebody who dedicates lots of time to photography (such as yourself) as I'm just a ''take a few photos that may be worthy of uploading'' sort of person. Whereas you take photos on a daily basis, obviously having to fit it around other things, and you travel to various parts of the region to take photos of lots of different things, which I must say, is a commendable effort from my point of view.

I'm sure one day you'll get a photo on Explore. Smile I honestly don't know what is so special about my photo of 6063, no better than photos taken by the likes of Dan, aureolin, yourself, yet it's somehow been selected.

Dan

Site Administrator

22 Mar 2015, 8:43 pm #215
I've probably had around 10 photos Explored since the back end of 2012, and I've uploaded almost 9,200 now. Do the maths - as a percentage, that's absolutely dreadful. I don't particularly care at the same time - I'd prefer to know that people who like buses are viewing my photos rather than complete randomers with no interest for buses at all. This photo got in excess of 26,000 views and 30 favourites - but as it wasn't Explored, it seems better in my eyes as it came from people in the hobby. Similar story with my most faved photo.

As everyone else has said, Jimmi, it's nothing to worry about. Take it in your stride - if one of your photos gets Explored, congratulations, you've done something (whatever Flickr thinks that is) right. If not, it's not the end of the world. Smile 

EDIT: The amount of views a photo being 'Explored' is much more significant than it was a few years ago, but that's because Flickr now counts a view if a photo appears on a page, and you don't have to physically click it to get a view. The photograph below was 'Explored' - which says it all:
[Image: 8287227343_2b9b3ae3c1.jpg]Interior shot of Pygall's Coaches' N755 OYR, Dennis Dart/East Lancs by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

Two other photographs I uploaded in December 2012 were also explored, bizarrely, and none of them were particularly great photographs.
Dan
22 Mar 2015, 8:43 pm #215

I've probably had around 10 photos Explored since the back end of 2012, and I've uploaded almost 9,200 now. Do the maths - as a percentage, that's absolutely dreadful. I don't particularly care at the same time - I'd prefer to know that people who like buses are viewing my photos rather than complete randomers with no interest for buses at all. This photo got in excess of 26,000 views and 30 favourites - but as it wasn't Explored, it seems better in my eyes as it came from people in the hobby. Similar story with my most faved photo.

As everyone else has said, Jimmi, it's nothing to worry about. Take it in your stride - if one of your photos gets Explored, congratulations, you've done something (whatever Flickr thinks that is) right. If not, it's not the end of the world. Smile 

EDIT: The amount of views a photo being 'Explored' is much more significant than it was a few years ago, but that's because Flickr now counts a view if a photo appears on a page, and you don't have to physically click it to get a view. The photograph below was 'Explored' - which says it all:
[Image: 8287227343_2b9b3ae3c1.jpg]Interior shot of Pygall's Coaches' N755 OYR, Dennis Dart/East Lancs by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

Two other photographs I uploaded in December 2012 were also explored, bizarrely, and none of them were particularly great photographs.

Malarkey

22 Mar 2015, 8:47 pm #216

Just been looking through your photos Jimmi, and there is nothing wrong with them, there is one thing you need to do and that is add your photos to Groups, doing that will massively increase your views/faves and followers.

Take a look at the photo I took recently of 3814 on the 85 as an Example below, you will see I have that photo in 30+ Groups. https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/16579040857/

Hope this helps Jimmi.
Malarkey
22 Mar 2015, 8:47 pm #216

Just been looking through your photos Jimmi, and there is nothing wrong with them, there is one thing you need to do and that is add your photos to Groups, doing that will massively increase your views/faves and followers.

Take a look at the photo I took recently of 3814 on the 85 as an Example below, you will see I have that photo in 30+ Groups. https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/16579040857/

Hope this helps Jimmi.

Jimmi

22 Mar 2015, 8:58 pm #217
(22 Mar 2015, 8:37 pm)MarcTheA4 I agree with the above comments, Jimmi. I like the variety of photos you bring to the community, a lot of independents in your area that normally don't really get much attention on Flickr, as well as a lot of the mainstream stuff.

Like I say Explore is a lottery (which is why it hasn't happened to me based on my luck with the actual lottery).

Don't get me wrong I think it is fantastic that you got a photo on Explore, I just hope that one day my efforts will get recognised to more people even though it will just be a taster and many won't view my photos again.

I do actually like to put effort into everything I do and I do travel to take many photos and some in less seen places, I mean I even walked to School Aycliffe for a shot of The Eden's Town Service 17 which was a longer walk than I thought it would be, especially since we've lost our bridge and it was still icy in places and I had to run because I thought I was going to miss it only for it to turn up 10 minutes late then I planned to walk to Heighington for the 1 but because of the Eden was running 10 minutes late I had to practically run right through Heighington to get to the stop on-time.

I am happy with the views and favourites I get most days, the photo of the 2 new Sapphire Enviro 400's I uploaded on Wednesday currently has 697 views on it (although I placed that photo in a lot of groups). I am grateful for everything I get on Flickr but just sometimes not just with Flickr I get a bit wound up about other people getting more, again I think this is down to my school life as I rubbish at most things and when I was good at something I got nothing and it seemed like I struggled with most things and everyone else sailed through and had more money, friends and was actually good at things at school.
Jimmi
22 Mar 2015, 8:58 pm #217

(22 Mar 2015, 8:37 pm)MarcTheA4 I agree with the above comments, Jimmi. I like the variety of photos you bring to the community, a lot of independents in your area that normally don't really get much attention on Flickr, as well as a lot of the mainstream stuff.

Like I say Explore is a lottery (which is why it hasn't happened to me based on my luck with the actual lottery).

Don't get me wrong I think it is fantastic that you got a photo on Explore, I just hope that one day my efforts will get recognised to more people even though it will just be a taster and many won't view my photos again.

I do actually like to put effort into everything I do and I do travel to take many photos and some in less seen places, I mean I even walked to School Aycliffe for a shot of The Eden's Town Service 17 which was a longer walk than I thought it would be, especially since we've lost our bridge and it was still icy in places and I had to run because I thought I was going to miss it only for it to turn up 10 minutes late then I planned to walk to Heighington for the 1 but because of the Eden was running 10 minutes late I had to practically run right through Heighington to get to the stop on-time.

I am happy with the views and favourites I get most days, the photo of the 2 new Sapphire Enviro 400's I uploaded on Wednesday currently has 697 views on it (although I placed that photo in a lot of groups). I am grateful for everything I get on Flickr but just sometimes not just with Flickr I get a bit wound up about other people getting more, again I think this is down to my school life as I rubbish at most things and when I was good at something I got nothing and it seemed like I struggled with most things and everyone else sailed through and had more money, friends and was actually good at things at school.

23 Mar 2015, 9:05 am #218
Jimmi, don't get yourself down about the Flickr.  Smile

There are some very poor photographs in "Explore" and this is an example:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fabolous/1...2015-03-22 Big Grin

The bus hobby is a rather small one, its not as big as the rail one. I normally flick through photos of trains on Flickr, and the only ones that I seen that had a large amount of views and favourites was 91105 in Virgin Trains East Coast livery. 

When I had Flickr, it was either my poor mobile phone photos (before May) and then my trip to Cragside, Jesmond depot, Sapphire photo shoot at the depot etc.

The Sapphire photo shoot got more favourites than, say, Cragside House or 91109 crossing the Aln.

It's just what people like to look at to be honest, there are always some excellent photos on #NEBuses.
omnicity4659
23 Mar 2015, 9:05 am #218

Jimmi, don't get yourself down about the Flickr.  Smile

There are some very poor photographs in "Explore" and this is an example:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fabolous/1...2015-03-22 Big Grin

The bus hobby is a rather small one, its not as big as the rail one. I normally flick through photos of trains on Flickr, and the only ones that I seen that had a large amount of views and favourites was 91105 in Virgin Trains East Coast livery. 

When I had Flickr, it was either my poor mobile phone photos (before May) and then my trip to Cragside, Jesmond depot, Sapphire photo shoot at the depot etc.

The Sapphire photo shoot got more favourites than, say, Cragside House or 91109 crossing the Aln.

It's just what people like to look at to be honest, there are always some excellent photos on #NEBuses.

Jimmi

23 Mar 2015, 9:40 am #219
Thanks again everyone for all your support.

Out today for more photos, although I forgot to charge the battery for my camera, thankfully I have a look fully charged spare.
Jimmi
23 Mar 2015, 9:40 am #219

Thanks again everyone for all your support.

Out today for more photos, although I forgot to charge the battery for my camera, thankfully I have a look fully charged spare.

Jimmi

23 Mar 2015, 10:35 am #220
Old Solos on the 40/40A this morning.

Thanks for wasting my time again Stanley Travel.
Jimmi
23 Mar 2015, 10:35 am #220

Old Solos on the 40/40A this morning.

Thanks for wasting my time again Stanley Travel.

Pages (150) Previous 110 11 12150 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average