Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Craft Beers

Craft Beers

Craft Beers

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) 1 2 Next
Andreos1

02 Jun 2015, 9:52 am #1
Appreciate that on a niche website, that this may be even more niche and there are a few members who are under age - but is anyone else into their craft beers?

It seems to be all the rage at the moment, amongst the trendys, but I have had a geeky soft spot for them and real ale for a while now.

Favourites at the minute include a good old fashioned IPA and some of the American craft beers , like Blue Moon 

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
02 Jun 2015, 9:52 am #1

Appreciate that on a niche website, that this may be even more niche and there are a few members who are under age - but is anyone else into their craft beers?

It seems to be all the rage at the moment, amongst the trendys, but I have had a geeky soft spot for them and real ale for a while now.

Favourites at the minute include a good old fashioned IPA and some of the American craft beers , like Blue Moon 

Andreos1

26 Oct 2015, 8:07 pm #2
Any Brewdog fans out there? How about BBQ lovers?

https://mobile.twitter.com/DogHouseMCity

Brewdog are introducing a new type of bar to their portfolio.
Beer and BBQ!

Andreos1
26 Oct 2015, 8:07 pm #2

Any Brewdog fans out there? How about BBQ lovers?

Beer and BBQ!

Simmy

26 Oct 2015, 9:02 pm #3
(26 Oct 2015, 8:07 pm)Andreos1 Any Brewdog fans out there? How about BBQ lovers?

Beer and BBQ!
I'll have to try that down here at our branch, looks right up my street  Big Grin . Not really a craft beer but I am much happier now that my local serves Pilsner Urquell, a beer that I thought was only available in the Czech Republic.
Simmy
26 Oct 2015, 9:02 pm #3

(26 Oct 2015, 8:07 pm)Andreos1 Any Brewdog fans out there? How about BBQ lovers?

Beer and BBQ!
I'll have to try that down here at our branch, looks right up my street  Big Grin . Not really a craft beer but I am much happier now that my local serves Pilsner Urquell, a beer that I thought was only available in the Czech Republic.

BusLoverMum

26 Oct 2015, 9:57 pm #4
(02 Jun 2015, 9:52 am)Andreos1 Appreciate that on a niche website, that this may be even more niche and there are a few members who are under age - but is anyone else into their craft beers?

I'm rather fond of a good beer and IPA is one of my favourites - I like the sourness.

Actually drinking a bottle of one I picked up in M&S on their dine in for a tenner offer - so not strictly small scale, but not mainstream, either. Adnams Suffolk single variety hop pale ale. Tastes like pineapple!
BusLoverMum
26 Oct 2015, 9:57 pm #4

(02 Jun 2015, 9:52 am)Andreos1 Appreciate that on a niche website, that this may be even more niche and there are a few members who are under age - but is anyone else into their craft beers?

I'm rather fond of a good beer and IPA is one of my favourites - I like the sourness.

Actually drinking a bottle of one I picked up in M&S on their dine in for a tenner offer - so not strictly small scale, but not mainstream, either. Adnams Suffolk single variety hop pale ale. Tastes like pineapple!

Adrian

26 Oct 2015, 10:05 pm #5

Beer and BBQ!

The Town Wall in Newcastle was doing this during the Summer. Seemed to be quite popular.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
26 Oct 2015, 10:05 pm #5

Beer and BBQ!

The Town Wall in Newcastle was doing this during the Summer. Seemed to be quite popular.

Andreos1

27 Oct 2015, 8:44 am #6
(26 Oct 2015, 9:02 pm)Simmy I'll have to try that down here at our branch, looks right up my street  Big Grin . Not really a craft beer but I am much happier now that my local serves Pilsner Urquell, a beer that I thought was only available in the Czech Republic.

You have been missing out - or going to the wrong places.
That has been about locally for years. Not that popular it seems, cos never found a good pint of it yet!

(26 Oct 2015, 9:57 pm)BusLoverMum I'm rather fond of a good beer and IPA is one of my favourites - I like the sourness.

I have noticed Sainsburys seem to be going down the route of using (and stating which) breweries on their own brand stuff too.

Not sure I have had any Adnams yet. Used to keep a log, but I have lost track.
The same memory that remembers PTE routes, vehicles and allocations from 30 years ago, strangely struggles to recollect which weird and wonderful beers I consumed the night before!

(26 Oct 2015, 10:05 pm)Adrian The Town Wall in Newcastle was doing this during the Summer. Seemed to be quite popular.

Went in there for the first time in ages on Friday afternoon. No BBQ's unfortunately!

Andreos1
27 Oct 2015, 8:44 am #6

(26 Oct 2015, 9:02 pm)Simmy I'll have to try that down here at our branch, looks right up my street  Big Grin . Not really a craft beer but I am much happier now that my local serves Pilsner Urquell, a beer that I thought was only available in the Czech Republic.

You have been missing out - or going to the wrong places.
That has been about locally for years. Not that popular it seems, cos never found a good pint of it yet!

(26 Oct 2015, 9:57 pm)BusLoverMum I'm rather fond of a good beer and IPA is one of my favourites - I like the sourness.

I have noticed Sainsburys seem to be going down the route of using (and stating which) breweries on their own brand stuff too.

The same memory that remembers PTE routes, vehicles and allocations from 30 years ago, strangely struggles to recollect which weird and wonderful beers I consumed the night before!

(26 Oct 2015, 10:05 pm)Adrian The Town Wall in Newcastle was doing this during the Summer. Seemed to be quite popular.

Went in there for the first time in ages on Friday afternoon. No BBQ's unfortunately!

BusLoverMum

27 Oct 2015, 10:31 pm #7
(27 Oct 2015, 8:44 am)Andreos1 You have been missing out - or going to the wrong places.

There has to be some cause and effect, there. Maybe worth some scientific study? Wink

I'm sampling the brandy I bought for the Christmas cake, tonight. Got to make sure it's not poisonous.
BusLoverMum
27 Oct 2015, 10:31 pm #7

(27 Oct 2015, 8:44 am)Andreos1 You have been missing out - or going to the wrong places.

There has to be some cause and effect, there. Maybe worth some scientific study? Wink

I'm sampling the brandy I bought for the Christmas cake, tonight. Got to make sure it's not poisonous.

Andreos1

09 Nov 2015, 10:17 am #8
I have just got a little bit excited after reading this article.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...m-10406353

If you haven't tried beers from Wylam Brewery (and you are above the age of 18), give one of them a go.
They do some lovely stuff.

Hopefully the taste, doesn't change too much after the move.
Andreos1
09 Nov 2015, 10:17 am #8

I have just got a little bit excited after reading this article.

If you haven't tried beers from Wylam Brewery (and you are above the age of 18), give one of them a go.

Simmy

15 Nov 2015, 1:45 am #9
(09 Nov 2015, 10:17 am)Andreos1 I have just got a little bit excited after reading this article.

Heading home to Whitburn next week so I'll give them a go Smile . Need a replacement as Jarrow Brewery appears to have had financial difficulties recently. Miss Rivet Catcher Tongue .
Simmy
15 Nov 2015, 1:45 am #9

(09 Nov 2015, 10:17 am)Andreos1 I have just got a little bit excited after reading this article.

Heading home to Whitburn next week so I'll give them a go Smile . Need a replacement as Jarrow Brewery appears to have had financial difficulties recently. Miss Rivet Catcher Tongue .

Andreos1

15 Nov 2015, 8:29 pm #10
(15 Nov 2015, 1:45 am)Simmy Heading home to Whitburn next week so I'll give them a go Smile . Need a replacement as Jarrow Brewery appears to have had financial difficulties recently. Miss Rivet Catcher Tongue .

Aye, heard a few tales about Jarrow struggling. Which is a shame.

Had some Newton Aycliffe brewed Steam Machine the other night.

http://steammachinebrew.com/phone/the-beers.html

Had the IPA and Afternoon Tea.

The tea had a more bitter taste to it than the IPA.
Andreos1
15 Nov 2015, 8:29 pm #10

(15 Nov 2015, 1:45 am)Simmy Heading home to Whitburn next week so I'll give them a go Smile . Need a replacement as Jarrow Brewery appears to have had financial difficulties recently. Miss Rivet Catcher Tongue .

Aye, heard a few tales about Jarrow struggling. Which is a shame.

Had some Newton Aycliffe brewed Steam Machine the other night.

http://steammachinebrew.com/phone/the-beers.html

Had the IPA and Afternoon Tea.

The tea had a more bitter taste to it than the IPA.

Andreos1

26 Jan 2016, 1:06 pm #11
Making my first dabbles into the world of home brewing soon.

Got my hands on a decent looking set-up, that only requires yeast and hops.
Hopefully I will be able to come up with some decent brews over the next few months.

If anyone else on the forum has dabbled, feel free to share some tips!

Andreos1
26 Jan 2016, 1:06 pm #11

Making my first dabbles into the world of home brewing soon.

Hopefully I will be able to come up with some decent brews over the next few months.

BusLoverMum

26 Jan 2016, 1:57 pm #12
(26 Jan 2016, 1:06 pm)Andreos1 Making my first dabbles into the world of home brewing soon.

Only one bit of advice from distant but bitterly remembered experience:

Airlocks are not ant proof!
BusLoverMum
26 Jan 2016, 1:57 pm #12

(26 Jan 2016, 1:06 pm)Andreos1 Making my first dabbles into the world of home brewing soon.

Only one bit of advice from distant but bitterly remembered experience:

Andreos1

27 Jan 2016, 4:29 pm #13
(26 Jan 2016, 1:57 pm)BusLoverMum Only one bit of advice from distant but bitterly remembered experience:

Haha, I will bear that in mind!
Mind, it can only add flavour. Surely?

Andreos1
27 Jan 2016, 4:29 pm #13

(26 Jan 2016, 1:57 pm)BusLoverMum Only one bit of advice from distant but bitterly remembered experience:

Haha, I will bear that in mind!

BusLoverMum

27 Jan 2016, 4:39 pm #14
(27 Jan 2016, 4:29 pm)Andreos1 Haha, I will bear that in mind!
Crunch, definitely.

And I shall now step away from this thread. I've drunk nothing more potent than Erdinger since NYD and I'm determined not to derail that, before February.
BusLoverMum
27 Jan 2016, 4:39 pm #14

(27 Jan 2016, 4:29 pm)Andreos1 Haha, I will bear that in mind!
Crunch, definitely.

And I shall now step away from this thread. I've drunk nothing more potent than Erdinger since NYD and I'm determined not to derail that, before February.

Andreos1

29 Jan 2016, 10:34 am #15
(27 Jan 2016, 4:39 pm)BusLoverMum Crunch, definitely.

The brew is on and hopefully I don't find a queue of ants waiting patiently to try it!

All fermenting nicely, with some hop pellets to chuck in at some point later next week!

Andreos1
29 Jan 2016, 10:34 am #15

(27 Jan 2016, 4:39 pm)BusLoverMum Crunch, definitely.

The brew is on and hopefully I don't find a queue of ants waiting patiently to try it!

All fermenting nicely, with some hop pellets to chuck in at some point later next week!

Andreos1

14 Feb 2016, 5:46 pm #16
The beer is now in the barrel.

Had a little sip when siphoning and it is a waiting game now.
Priming sugar in, valve locked and hopefully a nice beer in a few weeks!

Andreos1
14 Feb 2016, 5:46 pm #16

The beer is now in the barrel.

Adrian

14 Feb 2016, 5:51 pm #17
(14 Feb 2016, 5:46 pm)Andreos1 The beer is now in the barrel.

What kind of ale are you brewing?

Adrian
14 Feb 2016, 5:51 pm #17

(14 Feb 2016, 5:46 pm)Andreos1 The beer is now in the barrel.

What kind of ale are you brewing?

Andreos1

14 Feb 2016, 6:09 pm #18
(14 Feb 2016, 5:51 pm)Adrian What kind of ale are you brewing?

With it being my first go, I wanted to use a kit that had step by step instructions.
I thought it would help me understand the process more and develop the confidence to brew from scratch in the future.

So having identified the hop that I like the most (cascade) and then finding a kit that was easy enough to drink and which contained cascade - I found 'Golden Stag'.

Fingers crossed it works!
The alcohol content is lower than it is supposed to be (3.94% over the supposed 4.5%), but it is a learning curve.

I was warned that brewing can become addictive.
It has!

If you havent given it a go, I would give it a try.

Andreos1
14 Feb 2016, 6:09 pm #18

(14 Feb 2016, 5:51 pm)Adrian What kind of ale are you brewing?

With it being my first go, I wanted to use a kit that had step by step instructions.
I thought it would help me understand the process more and develop the confidence to brew from scratch in the future.

So having identified the hop that I like the most (cascade) and then finding a kit that was easy enough to drink and which contained cascade - I found 'Golden Stag'.

The alcohol content is lower than it is supposed to be (3.94% over the supposed 4.5%), but it is a learning curve.

It has!

Adrian

14 Feb 2016, 6:14 pm #19
(14 Feb 2016, 6:09 pm)Andreos1 With it being my first go, I wanted to use a kit that had step by step instructions.

It has!

I'd thought about doing cider once, but as I don't have a garage, it'd be a bit difficult I reckon. I'll have to buy a brewing shed or something! 

You'll have a Fencehouses Micro Brewery in no time Wink

Adrian
14 Feb 2016, 6:14 pm #19

(14 Feb 2016, 6:09 pm)Andreos1 With it being my first go, I wanted to use a kit that had step by step instructions.

It has!

I'd thought about doing cider once, but as I don't have a garage, it'd be a bit difficult I reckon. I'll have to buy a brewing shed or something! 

Andreos1

14 Feb 2016, 6:23 pm #20
(14 Feb 2016, 6:14 pm)Adrian I'd thought about doing cider once, but as I don't have a garage, it'd be a bit difficult I reckon. I'll have to buy a brewing shed or something! 

A kitchen or spare room should do the job - unless you're gonna be pressing the apples yourself.

http://www.ciderworkshop.com/howtomake.html

I had my fermenting vessel in the kitchen this time so I could keep the temperature constant.

Go on, give it a go

Andreos1
14 Feb 2016, 6:23 pm #20

(14 Feb 2016, 6:14 pm)Adrian I'd thought about doing cider once, but as I don't have a garage, it'd be a bit difficult I reckon. I'll have to buy a brewing shed or something! 

A kitchen or spare room should do the job - unless you're gonna be pressing the apples yourself.

http://www.ciderworkshop.com/howtomake.html

I had my fermenting vessel in the kitchen this time so I could keep the temperature constant.

Go on, give it a go

Pages (2) 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average