North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Drivers and Spotters

Drivers and Spotters

Drivers and Spotters

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
Charles41

22 May 2021, 5:32 am #21
I've been asked to delete a photo once
Also by a Stagecoach driver in South Shields. It was about four years ago. He just didn't want to be photographed. He was happy for me to photograph the bus whilst he waited on the pavement.

I had to deal with an aggressive member of the public in Byker. That ended with me telling her to call the police if she did not like my hobby.

Five or six years ago I got challenged by security at Gateshead Metro. I was new to the hobby then and found it quite off-putting.

It's been a few years since I've had any hassle. Saying that due to work commitments I'm not as active in the hobby as I used to be.

Charles
Charles41
22 May 2021, 5:32 am #21

I've been asked to delete a photo once
Also by a Stagecoach driver in South Shields. It was about four years ago. He just didn't want to be photographed. He was happy for me to photograph the bus whilst he waited on the pavement.

I had to deal with an aggressive member of the public in Byker. That ended with me telling her to call the police if she did not like my hobby.

Five or six years ago I got challenged by security at Gateshead Metro. I was new to the hobby then and found it quite off-putting.

It's been a few years since I've had any hassle. Saying that due to work commitments I'm not as active in the hobby as I used to be.

Charles

22 May 2021, 12:20 pm #22
Generally dont have any issues when out and about, though had some when up in blyth taking photos with arriva drivers on a couple of occasions.
I think the metro interchange are enforced by nexus, shouldn't really be a problem if your not on their land and taking photos from the adopted highway

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
atlantean560
22 May 2021, 12:20 pm #22

Generally dont have any issues when out and about, though had some when up in blyth taking photos with arriva drivers on a couple of occasions.
I think the metro interchange are enforced by nexus, shouldn't really be a problem if your not on their land and taking photos from the adopted highway

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

05 Jun 2021, 6:08 pm #23
[Image: 4b58c0540e42b454d4c53516fad5b67b.jpg]
Here’s a “pleasant” driver i saw a post on Twitter about.

https://twitter.com/busboyjordan/status/...20546?s=21

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
05 Jun 2021, 6:08 pm #23

[Image: 4b58c0540e42b454d4c53516fad5b67b.jpg]

05 Jun 2021, 6:22 pm #24
(05 Jun 2021, 6:08 pm)TEN 6083 [Image: 4b58c0540e42b454d4c53516fad5b67b.jpg]

Love it. That's my standard greeting when someone points a camera at my vehicle.
omnicity4659
05 Jun 2021, 6:22 pm #24

(05 Jun 2021, 6:08 pm)TEN 6083 [Image: 4b58c0540e42b454d4c53516fad5b67b.jpg]

Love it. That's my standard greeting when someone points a camera at my vehicle.

Jimmi

05 Jun 2021, 6:38 pm #25
(05 Jun 2021, 6:08 pm)TEN 6083 [Image: 4b58c0540e42b454d4c53516fad5b67b.jpg]

Oh god! Looks like the driver I encountered on a trip to Bluewater back in November 2018, his story sounds much the same as mine, he was NOT happy with me

(05 Jun 2021, 6:22 pm)omnicity4659 Love it. That's my standard greeting when someone points a camera at my vehicle.
I once brought the village of Whalley in Lancashire to a standstill as some wifey was kicking off with me asking why I was taking a photo of her in her Lexus when in actual fact I was trying to snap a Stagecoach E300. She seemed full of herself to think I was snapping her precious Lexus like
Edited 05 Jun 2021, 6:41 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
05 Jun 2021, 6:38 pm #25

(05 Jun 2021, 6:08 pm)TEN 6083 [Image: 4b58c0540e42b454d4c53516fad5b67b.jpg]

Oh god! Looks like the driver I encountered on a trip to Bluewater back in November 2018, his story sounds much the same as mine, he was NOT happy with me

(05 Jun 2021, 6:22 pm)omnicity4659 Love it. That's my standard greeting when someone points a camera at my vehicle.
I once brought the village of Whalley in Lancashire to a standstill as some wifey was kicking off with me asking why I was taking a photo of her in her Lexus when in actual fact I was trying to snap a Stagecoach E300. She seemed full of herself to think I was snapping her precious Lexus like

06 Jun 2021, 3:58 pm #26
Drivers don't normally see me as I'm sat in my car. Mind I did have a woman approach me asking if I had just photoed her car, she was happy enough when I explained I was photoing the buses. Though drivers being abusive to me doesn't bother me, I just roll my eyes. If I get flipped off their prob get caught out in the end anyeay, especially if the management is enthusiast friendly and regularly look at the bus photo online.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
06 Jun 2021, 3:58 pm #26

Drivers don't normally see me as I'm sat in my car. Mind I did have a woman approach me asking if I had just photoed her car, she was happy enough when I explained I was photoing the buses. Though drivers being abusive to me doesn't bother me, I just roll my eyes. If I get flipped off their prob get caught out in the end anyeay, especially if the management is enthusiast friendly and regularly look at the bus photo online.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

06 Jun 2021, 5:48 pm #27
I don't see the problem with it. Your taking a photo of a bus. I don't see what the problem is.

It just seems some people complain for the hell of it. I've had staff approach me on the odd occasions when I've been photo at Haymarket yet I've been on public land

I've had a driver on the X8 round mine question why I took a photo of his bus. I said I do this every day. And he said. Werid thing to do
Micheal Aaron
06 Jun 2021, 5:48 pm #27

I don't see the problem with it. Your taking a photo of a bus. I don't see what the problem is.

It just seems some people complain for the hell of it. I've had staff approach me on the odd occasions when I've been photo at Haymarket yet I've been on public land

I've had a driver on the X8 round mine question why I took a photo of his bus. I said I do this every day. And he said. Werid thing to do

09 Aug 2021, 10:01 am #28
I always see a pattern when taking pictures. When I take pictures of GNE buses the drivers either don’t take notice or they wave. There’s a particular driver that is usually on the 57 that always waves. When photoing Arriva they just don’t mind. No waves but no foul gestures.

However, the first and only time I photoed Stagecoach buses, there was already many problems. I was at South Shields. Just keep in mind that I am 12 years old, and I was 11 at the time. Some of the drivers didn’t mind, no waves or anything. Most others rolled their eyes or had an annoyed look on their face, which I understand some people don’t want to be photographed so I didn’t most most of those. And finally there was a select few of drivers who put their rude fingers up at me, which is not a great thing to do at children.

This is why I only photograph GNE buses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
transportintyneandwear
09 Aug 2021, 10:01 am #28

I always see a pattern when taking pictures. When I take pictures of GNE buses the drivers either don’t take notice or they wave. There’s a particular driver that is usually on the 57 that always waves. When photoing Arriva they just don’t mind. No waves but no foul gestures.

However, the first and only time I photoed Stagecoach buses, there was already many problems. I was at South Shields. Just keep in mind that I am 12 years old, and I was 11 at the time. Some of the drivers didn’t mind, no waves or anything. Most others rolled their eyes or had an annoyed look on their face, which I understand some people don’t want to be photographed so I didn’t most most of those. And finally there was a select few of drivers who put their rude fingers up at me, which is not a great thing to do at children.

09 Aug 2021, 10:14 am #29
If I'm sitting on a bus and spot someone trying to take a photo, I'll pretty much always stick my fingers up at the camera.
Not only because I absolutely hate getting my photo taken and I'd imagine they wouldn't want to post it online, but also because I kinda like ruining people's day!
streetdeckfan
09 Aug 2021, 10:14 am #29

If I'm sitting on a bus and spot someone trying to take a photo, I'll pretty much always stick my fingers up at the camera.
Not only because I absolutely hate getting my photo taken and I'd imagine they wouldn't want to post it online, but also because I kinda like ruining people's day!

Adrian

09 Aug 2021, 10:41 am #30
(09 Aug 2021, 10:01 am)transportintyneandwear I always see a pattern when taking pictures. When I take pictures of GNE buses the drivers either don’t take notice or they wave. There’s a particular driver that is usually on the 57 that always waves. When photoing Arriva they just don’t mind. No waves but no foul gestures.

You've probably been unlucky, because in about 13 years of taking photos, I've only had this happen a handful of times. I wouldn't say any operator is worse than the next for it, but you're always going to get the odd idiot... if someone is daft enough to give me a middle finger when I'm taking a photo, it'll still go up online and it's out of my control if someone takes exception and reports it to the operator.

I wouldn't expect waves or anything, as you've got to appreciate that the driver's attention is on the road, not someone standing taking a photo of their bus. Especially if you're in or around bus stations.

It's the general public that have more of a problem with photography from experience, but even then, most are just curious about what you're up to. So being polite and having a chat is always best policy.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
09 Aug 2021, 10:41 am #30

(09 Aug 2021, 10:01 am)transportintyneandwear I always see a pattern when taking pictures. When I take pictures of GNE buses the drivers either don’t take notice or they wave. There’s a particular driver that is usually on the 57 that always waves. When photoing Arriva they just don’t mind. No waves but no foul gestures.

You've probably been unlucky, because in about 13 years of taking photos, I've only had this happen a handful of times. I wouldn't say any operator is worse than the next for it, but you're always going to get the odd idiot... if someone is daft enough to give me a middle finger when I'm taking a photo, it'll still go up online and it's out of my control if someone takes exception and reports it to the operator.

I wouldn't expect waves or anything, as you've got to appreciate that the driver's attention is on the road, not someone standing taking a photo of their bus. Especially if you're in or around bus stations.

It's the general public that have more of a problem with photography from experience, but even then, most are just curious about what you're up to. So being polite and having a chat is always best policy.

Jimmi

09 Aug 2021, 2:01 pm #31
(09 Aug 2021, 10:41 am)Adrian You've probably been unlucky, because in about 13 years of taking photos, I've only had this happen a handful of times. I wouldn't say any operator is worse than the next for it, but you're always going to get the odd idiot... if someone is daft enough to give me a middle finger when I'm taking a photo, it'll still go up online and it's out of my control if someone takes exception and reports it to the operator.

I wish it was a rarity for me, happens on the regular although I likely take pics more often than some so naturally will happen more frequently for me.

I've experienced most outcomes now, blinds pulled down, hiding behind running boards/hand, offensive hand gestures, coming up to me using intimidation, pointing me out and slagging me off to other drivers, potential threats of violence, being called a saddle and told to get a life, I even almost got run over once as the driver was losing control of the bus whilst going in a huff and mounting the kerb where I was standing and similar stuff from general passengers along with being referred to as a nonce/paedophile and the other week in York I had one creep up behind whilst taking the photo almost causing me to drop the camera (wanted to deck that tit), have also being threatened with law enforcement being called by Bus Station security before

There's even instances where some have actually managed to remember my face and give hand gestures or hide even when I don't have the camera out.

I rarely complain as not worth the hassle half the time and looks badly on us when we do and the last time I did complain I didn't even get an acknowledgement that they even received my email after it got passed to another department.
Jimmi
09 Aug 2021, 2:01 pm #31

(09 Aug 2021, 10:41 am)Adrian You've probably been unlucky, because in about 13 years of taking photos, I've only had this happen a handful of times. I wouldn't say any operator is worse than the next for it, but you're always going to get the odd idiot... if someone is daft enough to give me a middle finger when I'm taking a photo, it'll still go up online and it's out of my control if someone takes exception and reports it to the operator.

I wish it was a rarity for me, happens on the regular although I likely take pics more often than some so naturally will happen more frequently for me.

I've experienced most outcomes now, blinds pulled down, hiding behind running boards/hand, offensive hand gestures, coming up to me using intimidation, pointing me out and slagging me off to other drivers, potential threats of violence, being called a saddle and told to get a life, I even almost got run over once as the driver was losing control of the bus whilst going in a huff and mounting the kerb where I was standing and similar stuff from general passengers along with being referred to as a nonce/paedophile and the other week in York I had one creep up behind whilst taking the photo almost causing me to drop the camera (wanted to deck that tit), have also being threatened with law enforcement being called by Bus Station security before

There's even instances where some have actually managed to remember my face and give hand gestures or hide even when I don't have the camera out.

I rarely complain as not worth the hassle half the time and looks badly on us when we do and the last time I did complain I didn't even get an acknowledgement that they even received my email after it got passed to another department.

09 Aug 2021, 4:33 pm #32
In my experience GNE drivers can sometimes be too spotter friendly, to the point where they hold up services so people can get a good photo.

A couple times I've been on a bus and the driver has stopped, let someone off to take a picture, waited and let them back on. Now, granted one of those times was when the bus had maybe a 10 minute wait in Bishop anyway and they just stopped at Market Place.
Or when they let them stand at the front of the bus when it's driving so they can have a conversation.
streetdeckfan
09 Aug 2021, 4:33 pm #32

In my experience GNE drivers can sometimes be too spotter friendly, to the point where they hold up services so people can get a good photo.

A couple times I've been on a bus and the driver has stopped, let someone off to take a picture, waited and let them back on. Now, granted one of those times was when the bus had maybe a 10 minute wait in Bishop anyway and they just stopped at Market Place.
Or when they let them stand at the front of the bus when it's driving so they can have a conversation.

Train8261

09 Aug 2021, 6:05 pm #33
I've had the odd few drivers be off with me taking a photo of there bus
Train8261
09 Aug 2021, 6:05 pm #33

I've had the odd few drivers be off with me taking a photo of there bus

IRHardy

09 Aug 2021, 8:08 pm #34
I think that the reason that some drivers might not want their photograph taken is because they have had some problem with the government (be that a government department / agency, a local authority or the police). Or that they are claiming a benefit of some sort that if it was discovered that they had a job they might well lose that benefit if it was discovered? Or maybe that they have been signed off sick from one employer with a long term illness but have then got a job working for a different employer/
IRHardy
09 Aug 2021, 8:08 pm #34

I think that the reason that some drivers might not want their photograph taken is because they have had some problem with the government (be that a government department / agency, a local authority or the police). Or that they are claiming a benefit of some sort that if it was discovered that they had a job they might well lose that benefit if it was discovered? Or maybe that they have been signed off sick from one employer with a long term illness but have then got a job working for a different employer/

10 Aug 2021, 10:36 am #35
[Image: 51353740975_9980ea3081_c.jpg]A-line Coaches 255 / SN58 BYP by kieron mathews, on Flickr

A-line drivers are enthusiast friendly, got a thumbs up last week when I took a photo of 255 on the M6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
10 Aug 2021, 10:36 am #35

[Image: 51353740975_9980ea3081_c.jpg]A-line Coaches 255 / SN58 BYP by kieron mathews, on Flickr

A-line drivers are enthusiast friendly, got a thumbs up last week when I took a photo of 255 on the M6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Train8261

10 Aug 2021, 1:47 pm #36
A Line, Jh, Weardale, Go North East, Some stagecoach have all waved or stuck there thumbs up. Yet to have an Arriva driver do that
Train8261
10 Aug 2021, 1:47 pm #36

A Line, Jh, Weardale, Go North East, Some stagecoach have all waved or stuck there thumbs up. Yet to have an Arriva driver do that

10 Aug 2021, 6:12 pm #37
(09 Aug 2021, 4:33 pm)streetdeckfan In my experience GNE drivers can sometimes be too spotter friendly, to the point where they hold up services so people can get a good photo.

Hopefully it annoys the same passengers that are tossers and stick their fingers up at people for the hell of it
stagecoachbusdepot
10 Aug 2021, 6:12 pm #37

(09 Aug 2021, 4:33 pm)streetdeckfan In my experience GNE drivers can sometimes be too spotter friendly, to the point where they hold up services so people can get a good photo.

Hopefully it annoys the same passengers that are tossers and stick their fingers up at people for the hell of it

Adrian

10 Aug 2021, 6:14 pm #38
(10 Aug 2021, 6:12 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Hopefully it annoys the same passengers that are tossers and stick their fingers up at people for the hell of it

Big Grin  Big Grin just what I was thinking.

Adrian
10 Aug 2021, 6:14 pm #38

(10 Aug 2021, 6:12 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Hopefully it annoys the same passengers that are tossers and stick their fingers up at people for the hell of it

Big Grin  Big Grin just what I was thinking.

Charles41

10 Aug 2021, 7:15 pm #39
I've been photographing buses for over six years now. I still find it funny some of the looks I get from the public.

Today in Hexham this lady just stood with a shopping trolley staring at me. Then in Haydon Bridge two ramblers walked past shaking their heads.

Oh well if it keeps me out of mischief I'll keep doing it.

Charles
Charles41
10 Aug 2021, 7:15 pm #39

I've been photographing buses for over six years now. I still find it funny some of the looks I get from the public.

Today in Hexham this lady just stood with a shopping trolley staring at me. Then in Haydon Bridge two ramblers walked past shaking their heads.

Oh well if it keeps me out of mischief I'll keep doing it.

Charles

13 Aug 2021, 1:01 am #40
[Image: 395762f03297b8499f8a26b258ab1fde.jpg]
[Image: 83c486098f56106e6cf76dad5b538605.jpg]

This was posted on a Facebook group last week about one of the Plymouth Citybus drivers

TEN 6083
13 Aug 2021, 1:01 am #40

[Image: 395762f03297b8499f8a26b258ab1fde.jpg]
[Image: 83c486098f56106e6cf76dad5b538605.jpg]

This was posted on a Facebook group last week about one of the Plymouth Citybus drivers

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average