Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Bus Memories

Bus Memories

Bus Memories

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (4): Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
S813 FVK

05 Aug 2015, 11:39 am #21
(05 Aug 2015, 11:22 am)MurdnunoC The 712 used to interwork with the 715 on a Sunday when Stanley Taxis operated the service.

Ah right. To be honest, i wasn't too big on buses myself back then and certainly didn't pay attention to interworking patterns. I'm surprised i remember so much. I do have a few old running boards (one of which includes 3 early 712 journeys) which i would be quite happy to upload if anybody wants a look.
S813 FVK
05 Aug 2015, 11:39 am #21

(05 Aug 2015, 11:22 am)MurdnunoC The 712 used to interwork with the 715 on a Sunday when Stanley Taxis operated the service.

Ah right. To be honest, i wasn't too big on buses myself back then and certainly didn't pay attention to interworking patterns. I'm surprised i remember so much. I do have a few old running boards (one of which includes 3 early 712 journeys) which i would be quite happy to upload if anybody wants a look.

S813 FVK

05 Aug 2015, 12:18 pm #22
(05 Aug 2015, 11:00 am)MurdnunoC Don't forget about the FQ1 (Flippin' Quick 1).

Only two runs a day (I think). A morning peak-time journey into Newcastle and a late-night return to Oxhill. 

I know the FQ1 back to the depot used to run off the 16 service between Newcastle and Four Lane Ends. I think the FQ1 into Newcastle used to change to the 106 between Newcastle and Walker.

Just found a sheet about this service. Includes the routes and the Concessionary scheme etc and also which Buzzfare zones the places were in. Got quite a few of these for various routes and i also have fare stages.
S813 FVK
05 Aug 2015, 12:18 pm #22

(05 Aug 2015, 11:00 am)MurdnunoC Don't forget about the FQ1 (Flippin' Quick 1).

Only two runs a day (I think). A morning peak-time journey into Newcastle and a late-night return to Oxhill. 

I know the FQ1 back to the depot used to run off the 16 service between Newcastle and Four Lane Ends. I think the FQ1 into Newcastle used to change to the 106 between Newcastle and Walker.

Just found a sheet about this service. Includes the routes and the Concessionary scheme etc and also which Buzzfare zones the places were in. Got quite a few of these for various routes and i also have fare stages.

07 Aug 2015, 12:04 pm #23
The other day, when I visited my grandma, she said she had stumbled across an old photograph/postcard featuring a bus. Upon further inspection, it is a Bristol VR sporting the livery for 1110 years of Chester-le-Street in 1983 (883 - 1983). It's destination blind is set as ''883'' and I have to say I think the livery is quite smart. The bus in question is 3342 (UTO 833S). My grandma said she could remember it going around during the celebrations at the time. I've taken a photograph of the photograph/postcard and it is attached.

On the back it reads: NORTHERN, a NATIONAL bus company, then the NBC logo. A religious cross thing with the words ''to commemorate 1110 years of Chester-le-Street'' followed by a description of the celebrations. A description of the vehicle in question is ''Northern General fleet No. 3342 Bristol V.R.T - E.C.W bodywork''. Finally at the bottom, it reads ''Specifically designed and printed as Northern's contribution to Chester-le-Street 1110 celebrations''.
Edited 07 Aug 2015, 12:04 pm by R852 PRG.
R852 PRG
07 Aug 2015, 12:04 pm #23

The other day, when I visited my grandma, she said she had stumbled across an old photograph/postcard featuring a bus. Upon further inspection, it is a Bristol VR sporting the livery for 1110 years of Chester-le-Street in 1983 (883 - 1983). It's destination blind is set as ''883'' and I have to say I think the livery is quite smart. The bus in question is 3342 (UTO 833S). My grandma said she could remember it going around during the celebrations at the time. I've taken a photograph of the photograph/postcard and it is attached.

On the back it reads: NORTHERN, a NATIONAL bus company, then the NBC logo. A religious cross thing with the words ''to commemorate 1110 years of Chester-le-Street'' followed by a description of the celebrations. A description of the vehicle in question is ''Northern General fleet No. 3342 Bristol V.R.T - E.C.W bodywork''. Finally at the bottom, it reads ''Specifically designed and printed as Northern's contribution to Chester-le-Street 1110 celebrations''.

Andreos1

07 Aug 2015, 1:28 pm #24
(07 Aug 2015, 12:04 pm)R852 PRG The other day, when I visited my grandma, she said she had stumbled across an old photograph/postcard featuring a bus. Upon further inspection, it is a Bristol VR sporting the livery for 1110 years of Chester-le-Street in 1983 (883 - 1983). It's destination blind is set as ''883'' and I have to say I think the livery is quite smart. The bus in question is 3342 (UTO 833S). My grandma said she could remember it going around during the celebrations at the time. I've taken a photograph of the photograph/postcard and it is attached.

The photo was taken somewhere in T&W. Note the PTE colours on the flag.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
07 Aug 2015, 1:28 pm #24

(07 Aug 2015, 12:04 pm)R852 PRG The other day, when I visited my grandma, she said she had stumbled across an old photograph/postcard featuring a bus. Upon further inspection, it is a Bristol VR sporting the livery for 1110 years of Chester-le-Street in 1983 (883 - 1983). It's destination blind is set as ''883'' and I have to say I think the livery is quite smart. The bus in question is 3342 (UTO 833S). My grandma said she could remember it going around during the celebrations at the time. I've taken a photograph of the photograph/postcard and it is attached.

The photo was taken somewhere in T&W. Note the PTE colours on the flag.

07 Aug 2015, 2:02 pm #25
(07 Aug 2015, 1:28 pm)Andreos1 The photo was taken somewhere in T&W. Note the PTE colours on the flag.

The fencing in the background looks like those of a cemetery or a church. Don't know which one.
R852 PRG
07 Aug 2015, 2:02 pm #25

(07 Aug 2015, 1:28 pm)Andreos1 The photo was taken somewhere in T&W. Note the PTE colours on the flag.

The fencing in the background looks like those of a cemetery or a church. Don't know which one.

MurdnunoC

07 Aug 2015, 2:07 pm #26
I think it's Saltwell Road South. At the bottom of Saltwell Park.

https://www.google.com.br/maps/place/Sal...9d2f058aae
Edited 07 Aug 2015, 2:11 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
07 Aug 2015, 2:07 pm #26

I think it's Saltwell Road South. At the bottom of Saltwell Park.

07 Aug 2015, 2:14 pm #27
(07 Aug 2015, 2:07 pm)MurdnunoC I think it's Saltwell Road South. At the bottom of Saltwell Park.

I'd thought it was possibly around Saltwell Park.
R852 PRG
07 Aug 2015, 2:14 pm #27

(07 Aug 2015, 2:07 pm)MurdnunoC I think it's Saltwell Road South. At the bottom of Saltwell Park.

I'd thought it was possibly around Saltwell Park.

MurdnunoC

07 Aug 2015, 2:23 pm #28
(07 Aug 2015, 2:14 pm)R852 PRG I'd thought it was possibly around Saltwell Park.

The bus stop and/or lamp posts have been moved, but the railings and the stonework look the same as does the slight incline of hill. Play around the angles in Google Streetview and you'll more or less be able to reproduce the shot.
MurdnunoC
07 Aug 2015, 2:23 pm #28

(07 Aug 2015, 2:14 pm)R852 PRG I'd thought it was possibly around Saltwell Park.

The bus stop and/or lamp posts have been moved, but the railings and the stonework look the same as does the slight incline of hill. Play around the angles in Google Streetview and you'll more or less be able to reproduce the shot.

Andreos1

07 Aug 2015, 3:07 pm #29

It certainly looks like it - but the number of services on the flag threw me.
Have you got a timetable from 83, to see what went along Saltwell Road?

Andreos1
07 Aug 2015, 3:07 pm #29

It certainly looks like it - but the number of services on the flag threw me.

MurdnunoC

07 Aug 2015, 3:17 pm #30
(07 Aug 2015, 3:07 pm)Andreos1 It certainly looks like it - but the number of services on the flag threw me.

Sure do.

29 - Gateshead - Kibblesworth
92 - Gateshead - Queen Elizabeth Hospital
638 - Ryton - Sunderland
639 - Winlaton - Ellen Wilkinson Estate

Also a couple of Works Services probably stopped there on their way to the Valley.

I couldn't really make out the services on the flag.
MurdnunoC
07 Aug 2015, 3:17 pm #30

(07 Aug 2015, 3:07 pm)Andreos1 It certainly looks like it - but the number of services on the flag threw me.

Sure do.

638 - Ryton - Sunderland

Also a couple of Works Services probably stopped there on their way to the Valley.

11 Aug 2015, 9:38 am #31
I'm cringing writing this, but having just made a post in the Bygone Era about seeing an Alexander Strider as a young boy, I've just remembered my logic for bus types...

Wright Renown - ''Consett buses'' - because they were on the 778 service to Consett.
Plaxton Prestige - ''Stanley buses'' - because they were on the 729 service to Stanley.
Optare Delta - ''Moustache buses'' - I thought the front engine grill looked like a moustache.
Dennis Trident (Lolyne) - ''Sad buses'' - to my eyes, the front panel with the lights looked like a sad face.
Dennis Trident (President) - ''Happy buses'' - I thought the front panels made the bus look happy.
Any Arriva bus - ''Durham buses'' - I didn't know Arriva services went to Newcastle.

I thought I may as well just tell you all what my logic was like back as a little boy. Tongue
R852 PRG
11 Aug 2015, 9:38 am #31

I'm cringing writing this, but having just made a post in the Bygone Era about seeing an Alexander Strider as a young boy, I've just remembered my logic for bus types...

Wright Renown - ''Consett buses'' - because they were on the 778 service to Consett.
Plaxton Prestige - ''Stanley buses'' - because they were on the 729 service to Stanley.
Optare Delta - ''Moustache buses'' - I thought the front engine grill looked like a moustache.
Dennis Trident (Lolyne) - ''Sad buses'' - to my eyes, the front panel with the lights looked like a sad face.
Dennis Trident (President) - ''Happy buses'' - I thought the front panels made the bus look happy.
Any Arriva bus - ''Durham buses'' - I didn't know Arriva services went to Newcastle.

I thought I may as well just tell you all what my logic was like back as a little boy. Tongue

Andreos1

11 Aug 2015, 9:42 am #32
(07 Aug 2015, 3:17 pm)MurdnunoC Sure do.

638 - Ryton - Sunderland

I guessed they must have been work services, as apart from the numbers you mentioned, I couldn't think of owt else that went along that stretch of Saltwell Road.
I am pretty sure the Chester routes started a few years later.

The amount of yellow on the flag, would indicate more than 4 services - so if the timetable says 4 services, logic dictates the others must have been workers or scholars services of some type.

Andreos1
11 Aug 2015, 9:42 am #32

(07 Aug 2015, 3:17 pm)MurdnunoC Sure do.

638 - Ryton - Sunderland

I guessed they must have been work services, as apart from the numbers you mentioned, I couldn't think of owt else that went along that stretch of Saltwell Road.

The amount of yellow on the flag, would indicate more than 4 services - so if the timetable says 4 services, logic dictates the others must have been workers or scholars services of some type.

BusLoverMum

11 Aug 2015, 10:19 am #33
(11 Aug 2015, 9:38 am)R852 PRG I'm cringing writing this, but having just made a post in the Bygone Era about seeing an Alexander Strider as a young boy, I've just remembered my logic for bus types...

All makes perfect sense Big Grin

And we're biologically programmed to see faces in things, so it's not even odd. I still do the same with cars and it's a looooong time since I was a child.
BusLoverMum
11 Aug 2015, 10:19 am #33

(11 Aug 2015, 9:38 am)R852 PRG I'm cringing writing this, but having just made a post in the Bygone Era about seeing an Alexander Strider as a young boy, I've just remembered my logic for bus types...

All makes perfect sense Big Grin

And we're biologically programmed to see faces in things, so it's not even odd. I still do the same with cars and it's a looooong time since I was a child.

S813 FVK

11 Aug 2015, 10:28 am #34

I can't say i had many nicknames for buses. The only one i can think of was the 'Airport DAFs' (4983-4988). Mainly because they saw use at Heathrow before coming up north: 4988 being an example https://flic.kr/p/9jkrBW

My dad did (and still does albeit very rarely) jokingly adopt a theory that every Arriva bus was going Durham. Even if it was down in Manchester or Liverpool. We used to have endless debates on the subject.
S813 FVK
11 Aug 2015, 10:28 am #34

I can't say i had many nicknames for buses. The only one i can think of was the 'Airport DAFs' (4983-4988). Mainly because they saw use at Heathrow before coming up north: 4988 being an example https://flic.kr/p/9jkrBW

My dad did (and still does albeit very rarely) jokingly adopt a theory that every Arriva bus was going Durham. Even if it was down in Manchester or Liverpool. We used to have endless debates on the subject.

11 Aug 2015, 10:37 am #35
(11 Aug 2015, 10:28 am)S813 FVK I can't say i had many nicknames for buses. The only one i can think of was the 'Airport DAFs' (4983-4988). Mainly because they saw use at Heathrow before coming up north: 4988 being an example https://flic.kr/p/9jkrBW

I remember the ''Waggonway'' examples always seemed to have more power in them than the ''Lambton Worm'' DAFs.
R852 PRG
11 Aug 2015, 10:37 am #35

(11 Aug 2015, 10:28 am)S813 FVK I can't say i had many nicknames for buses. The only one i can think of was the 'Airport DAFs' (4983-4988). Mainly because they saw use at Heathrow before coming up north: 4988 being an example https://flic.kr/p/9jkrBW

I remember the ''Waggonway'' examples always seemed to have more power in them than the ''Lambton Worm'' DAFs.

S813 FVK

11 Aug 2015, 10:40 am #36
(11 Aug 2015, 10:37 am)R852 PRG I remember the ''Waggonway'' examples always seemed to have more power in them than the ''Lambton Worm'' DAFs.

Aye. My dad much preferred driving the FNWs than the ONLs.
S813 FVK
11 Aug 2015, 10:40 am #36

(11 Aug 2015, 10:37 am)R852 PRG I remember the ''Waggonway'' examples always seemed to have more power in them than the ''Lambton Worm'' DAFs.

Aye. My dad much preferred driving the FNWs than the ONLs.

11 Aug 2015, 10:44 am #37
(11 Aug 2015, 10:40 am)S813 FVK Aye. My dad much preferred driving the FNWs than the ONLs.

Where was he based when he worked for Go North East out of interest? I'm guessing Stanley?
R852 PRG
11 Aug 2015, 10:44 am #37

(11 Aug 2015, 10:40 am)S813 FVK Aye. My dad much preferred driving the FNWs than the ONLs.

Where was he based when he worked for Go North East out of interest? I'm guessing Stanley?

MurdnunoC

11 Aug 2015, 10:58 am #38
(11 Aug 2015, 9:42 am)Andreos1 I guessed they must have been work services, as apart from the numbers you mentioned, I couldn't think of owt else that went along that stretch of Saltwell Road.

Depending on when in 1983 the photo was taken, the 301 may have operated along Saltwell Road South too.
MurdnunoC
11 Aug 2015, 10:58 am #38

(11 Aug 2015, 9:42 am)Andreos1 I guessed they must have been work services, as apart from the numbers you mentioned, I couldn't think of owt else that went along that stretch of Saltwell Road.

Depending on when in 1983 the photo was taken, the 301 may have operated along Saltwell Road South too.

S813 FVK

11 Aug 2015, 10:58 am #39
(11 Aug 2015, 10:44 am)R852 PRG Where was he based when he worked for Go North East out of interest? I'm guessing Stanley?

Sure was based at Stanley. When the driver split thing came in he chose to do all Stanley routes (78, 43, 44 etc).

The FNW DAFs were on the X30/X31/709/728 for a bit before moving to Chester-le-Street.
He worked at Stanley Travel before Go North East - he used to love it when he was doing the MC1.
S813 FVK
11 Aug 2015, 10:58 am #39

(11 Aug 2015, 10:44 am)R852 PRG Where was he based when he worked for Go North East out of interest? I'm guessing Stanley?

Sure was based at Stanley. When the driver split thing came in he chose to do all Stanley routes (78, 43, 44 etc).

The FNW DAFs were on the X30/X31/709/728 for a bit before moving to Chester-le-Street.
He worked at Stanley Travel before Go North East - he used to love it when he was doing the MC1.

11 Aug 2015, 11:27 am #40
(11 Aug 2015, 10:58 am)MurdnunoC Depending on when in 1983 the photo was taken, the 301 may have operated along Saltwell Road South too.

According to my grandma, the celebrations around the event started early in the year. I'd think maybe the photograph was taken in the first few months of 1983 if that was the case?
R852 PRG
11 Aug 2015, 11:27 am #40

(11 Aug 2015, 10:58 am)MurdnunoC Depending on when in 1983 the photo was taken, the 301 may have operated along Saltwell Road South too.

According to my grandma, the celebrations around the event started early in the year. I'd think maybe the photograph was taken in the first few months of 1983 if that was the case?

Pages (4): Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average