Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (54) Previous 151 52 53 54 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

28 Sep 2015, 8:17 pm #1,021
(28 Sep 2015, 7:54 pm)BusLoverMum Plus the lowlanders chugging their way around the Durham countryside.
And, seemingly, a load of 2002 Geminis at Jesmond

There's no denying that Arriva has completely transformed its fleet over the past few years. Since 2013, over 100 new vehicles have been purchased by the company, but they've also managed to acquire nine five-year old ADL Enviro200s and ten three-year old VDL Pulsars, which has also contributed to flushing out some of the older vehicles in the fleet. A large number of older vehicles have also been converted to "MAX" and "Sapphire" specification which, I feel, can provide the perception that the vehicles in question are younger than what they really are. I believe there are still over 100 vehicles in the fleet which are over ten years old though, which is roughly 20% of the fleet...

We can't forget Go North East's investment into 150 new vehicles since 2013, and despite what LeeCalder said he had heard, I can only imagine that this level of investment will continue over the next few years. I personally feel that most vehicles on front-line duties offer an upgraded specification of some sort: high-backed seating, free customer Wi-Fi, power sockets, Next Stop Announcements, etc... We've recently seen all vehicles at Peterlee being retrofitted with Wi-Fi, and it'd be great to see other branded vehicles benefit from the same treatment. I think that the public perception regarding new bus technology (such as free Wi-Fi and Next Stop Announcements) has changed in recent years. The aforementioned examples especially are no longer seen as a luxury to passengers: it's expected as standard. Those vehicles which don't offer an upgraded specification of some sort are, in the most part, those which aren't on front-line service. It's difficult to compare the average fleet age of Go North East and Arriva given that Go North East has a much larger network which comprises of a great deal of scholars contracts. It doesn't make sense to allocate 'premium specification' vehicles to these scholars services, which means older double-deckers have to be retained in the fleet, but I think it'd be better if these scholars buses could make fewer appearances on normal service work.

Unlike Arriva, there's not a great deal of younger vehicle cascades going around the group. I think Go North East were quite lucky to get their hands on 11-year old and 12-year old double-deckers from Brighton, if I'm honest. Oxford Bus Group (Oxford Bus Company, Thames Travel and Carousel) tends to keep its cascades within the group, rather than cascading to other operating companies wider within the Go-Ahead Group, and a large number of Go-Ahead London vehicles are leased rather than owned. I'm very fond of the ex-Brighton Scanias acquired by Go North East this year though, and would love for more to be acquired over the next few years. I think they're a great fit in Stanley's fleet - they've helped flush out further Volvo Olympians on scholars duties, as well as replacing some of the less reliable low-floor double deckers on normal service work too. I think it's a shame that all were not 'refurbished' to the standard of 6131 and 6133 prior to entering service - the blue 'Go' seat moquette looks a little less tired than the red, and given that I'd imagine they'll be in use in the fleet for a number of years, it would make sense in my opinion. It'd be great if we could get the Next Stop Announcements working on these, too.
Dan
28 Sep 2015, 8:17 pm #1,021

(28 Sep 2015, 7:54 pm)BusLoverMum Plus the lowlanders chugging their way around the Durham countryside.
And, seemingly, a load of 2002 Geminis at Jesmond

There's no denying that Arriva has completely transformed its fleet over the past few years. Since 2013, over 100 new vehicles have been purchased by the company, but they've also managed to acquire nine five-year old ADL Enviro200s and ten three-year old VDL Pulsars, which has also contributed to flushing out some of the older vehicles in the fleet. A large number of older vehicles have also been converted to "MAX" and "Sapphire" specification which, I feel, can provide the perception that the vehicles in question are younger than what they really are. I believe there are still over 100 vehicles in the fleet which are over ten years old though, which is roughly 20% of the fleet...

We can't forget Go North East's investment into 150 new vehicles since 2013, and despite what LeeCalder said he had heard, I can only imagine that this level of investment will continue over the next few years. I personally feel that most vehicles on front-line duties offer an upgraded specification of some sort: high-backed seating, free customer Wi-Fi, power sockets, Next Stop Announcements, etc... We've recently seen all vehicles at Peterlee being retrofitted with Wi-Fi, and it'd be great to see other branded vehicles benefit from the same treatment. I think that the public perception regarding new bus technology (such as free Wi-Fi and Next Stop Announcements) has changed in recent years. The aforementioned examples especially are no longer seen as a luxury to passengers: it's expected as standard. Those vehicles which don't offer an upgraded specification of some sort are, in the most part, those which aren't on front-line service. It's difficult to compare the average fleet age of Go North East and Arriva given that Go North East has a much larger network which comprises of a great deal of scholars contracts. It doesn't make sense to allocate 'premium specification' vehicles to these scholars services, which means older double-deckers have to be retained in the fleet, but I think it'd be better if these scholars buses could make fewer appearances on normal service work.

Unlike Arriva, there's not a great deal of younger vehicle cascades going around the group. I think Go North East were quite lucky to get their hands on 11-year old and 12-year old double-deckers from Brighton, if I'm honest. Oxford Bus Group (Oxford Bus Company, Thames Travel and Carousel) tends to keep its cascades within the group, rather than cascading to other operating companies wider within the Go-Ahead Group, and a large number of Go-Ahead London vehicles are leased rather than owned. I'm very fond of the ex-Brighton Scanias acquired by Go North East this year though, and would love for more to be acquired over the next few years. I think they're a great fit in Stanley's fleet - they've helped flush out further Volvo Olympians on scholars duties, as well as replacing some of the less reliable low-floor double deckers on normal service work too. I think it's a shame that all were not 'refurbished' to the standard of 6131 and 6133 prior to entering service - the blue 'Go' seat moquette looks a little less tired than the red, and given that I'd imagine they'll be in use in the fleet for a number of years, it would make sense in my opinion. It'd be great if we could get the Next Stop Announcements working on these, too.

S813 FVK

28 Sep 2015, 8:34 pm #1,022
As you've mentioned NSAs:

Over the past few momths, there have been times where we have stopped behind the 78 and I have noticed that the display reads "Welcome aboard the Coast & Country service 78 to Consett" or something along those lines (Then goes on to say that there is free wifi available). I was just thinking to myself, would 'this' not make more sense than 'the'? Just my opinion - don't know how hard it will be to change (not like you need to change anything - 'the' still works, i just think that 'this' would have been better).
S813 FVK
28 Sep 2015, 8:34 pm #1,022

As you've mentioned NSAs:

Over the past few momths, there have been times where we have stopped behind the 78 and I have noticed that the display reads "Welcome aboard the Coast & Country service 78 to Consett" or something along those lines (Then goes on to say that there is free wifi available). I was just thinking to myself, would 'this' not make more sense than 'the'? Just my opinion - don't know how hard it will be to change (not like you need to change anything - 'the' still works, i just think that 'this' would have been better).

Jimmi

28 Sep 2015, 8:48 pm #1,023
(28 Sep 2015, 8:34 pm)S813 FVK As you've mentioned NSAs:

I think "the" is fine but I think "this" may have been slightly better in my own personal opinion. On certain Arriva services with next stop announcements it announces something like this "This is your Arriva service X66 to Darlington" after it departs the first stop.
Jimmi
28 Sep 2015, 8:48 pm #1,023

(28 Sep 2015, 8:34 pm)S813 FVK As you've mentioned NSAs:

I think "the" is fine but I think "this" may have been slightly better in my own personal opinion. On certain Arriva services with next stop announcements it announces something like this "This is your Arriva service X66 to Darlington" after it departs the first stop.

Dan

Site Administrator

28 Sep 2015, 8:48 pm #1,024
(28 Sep 2015, 8:34 pm)S813 FVK As you've mentioned NSAs:

As ever, it's something which is going to be subject to opinion, and it's probably one of the many things we debated at the time when typing out the content for those displays...

When speaking, I would usually precede one of Go North East's brand names with the word "the". For example, "I'm going to catch the Wear Tees Xpress to Peterlee later today". Therefore; I think "Welcome aboard the Red Kite 45 service to Newcastle" sounds perfectly fine, and if anything, the word "this" preceding the brand name instead would make it sound more formal (unnecessarily?)

I think Arriva went down the route of "this" opposed to "the" on their announcements, but perhaps this is more relevant as you wouldn't say "I'm going to catch the MAX to Darlington later today" (given that it's a widely used brand name), and, with regards to an added formality, fits in nicely with their "Sapphire" brand image.

I think we'll stick with "the".  Smile
Dan
28 Sep 2015, 8:48 pm #1,024

As ever, it's something which is going to be subject to opinion, and it's probably one of the many things we debated at the time when typing out the content for those displays...

When speaking, I would usually precede one of Go North East's brand names with the word "the". For example, "I'm going to catch the Wear Tees Xpress to Peterlee later today". Therefore; I think "Welcome aboard the Red Kite 45 service to Newcastle" sounds perfectly fine, and if anything, the word "this" preceding the brand name instead would make it sound more formal (unnecessarily?)

I think Arriva went down the route of "this" opposed to "the" on their announcements, but perhaps this is more relevant as you wouldn't say "I'm going to catch the MAX to Darlington later today" (given that it's a widely used brand name), and, with regards to an added formality, fits in nicely with their "Sapphire" brand image.

I think we'll stick with "the".  Smile

BusLoverMum

28 Sep 2015, 8:55 pm #1,025

But it's THE Coast and Country service 78, don't you know? Wink This is clumsy. The makes sense.

Dan - agree about the red seating in the Omnidekkas. It also has a feeling of having been reconfigured at some point to cram more in - though the weird half depth with hardly any leg room downstairs rear bench seat might just be what gives me that impression!
BusLoverMum
28 Sep 2015, 8:55 pm #1,025

But it's THE Coast and Country service 78, don't you know? Wink This is clumsy. The makes sense.

Dan - agree about the red seating in the Omnidekkas. It also has a feeling of having been reconfigured at some point to cram more in - though the weird half depth with hardly any leg room downstairs rear bench seat might just be what gives me that impression!

29 Sep 2015, 6:36 am #1,026
(28 Sep 2015, 7:38 pm)thetravelman What is wrong with the Merc Citaro's? I always thought that the Citaro's were good buses! Am i wrong or have i missed something?

I thought it was a shame that GNE have not purchased more New Mercs rather than the Streetlites, apart from the obvious big difference in Price!
Yes GNE hs some great citaros just not the Connextions4 ones Tongue
NK53 TKT
29 Sep 2015, 6:36 am #1,026

(28 Sep 2015, 7:38 pm)thetravelman What is wrong with the Merc Citaro's? I always thought that the Citaro's were good buses! Am i wrong or have i missed something?

I thought it was a shame that GNE have not purchased more New Mercs rather than the Streetlites, apart from the obvious big difference in Price!
Yes GNE hs some great citaros just not the Connextions4 ones Tongue

Michael

29 Sep 2015, 7:20 am #1,027
(29 Sep 2015, 6:36 am)NK53 TKT Yes GNE hs some great citaros just not the Connextions4 ones Tongue

Only thing i don't like about the ones on the 4, is the set out of the seats....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
29 Sep 2015, 7:20 am #1,027

(29 Sep 2015, 6:36 am)NK53 TKT Yes GNE hs some great citaros just not the Connextions4 ones Tongue

Only thing i don't like about the ones on the 4, is the set out of the seats....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Swiny1

29 Sep 2015, 8:15 am #1,028
Hi. Apologies if this topic is not for this thread. I work at cobalt and apart from a couple of Arrival workings. GNE has the monopoly here during the day. However for over a week there have been stagecoach buses going round full of drivers (presume route learning) GNE are not loosing any cobalt work are they?
Swiny1
29 Sep 2015, 8:15 am #1,028

Hi. Apologies if this topic is not for this thread. I work at cobalt and apart from a couple of Arrival workings. GNE has the monopoly here during the day. However for over a week there have been stagecoach buses going round full of drivers (presume route learning) GNE are not loosing any cobalt work are they?

29 Sep 2015, 9:01 am #1,029
Wonder if The Waggonway will get slightly newer buses or wi-if fitted to them as they don't have any features like that and they are 52 plates with the other examples eg 4961 etc have now been put as spares yet these are still in front line service
Transbus574
29 Sep 2015, 9:01 am #1,029

Wonder if The Waggonway will get slightly newer buses or wi-if fitted to them as they don't have any features like that and they are 52 plates with the other examples eg 4961 etc have now been put as spares yet these are still in front line service

Swiny1

29 Sep 2015, 9:22 am #1,030
* Arriva
Swiny1
29 Sep 2015, 9:22 am #1,030

* Arriva

LVK 404L

29 Sep 2015, 10:10 am #1,031
(29 Sep 2015, 8:15 am)Swiny1 Hi. Apologies if this topic is not for this thread. I work at cobalt and apart from a couple of Arrival workings. GNE has the monopoly here during the day. However for over a week there have been stagecoach buses going round full  of drivers (presume route learning) GNE are not loosing any cobalt work are they?

Hi check the stagecoach upcoming service changes thread

Service 22 is being extended to Cobalt. GNE are not losing contracts
LVK 404L
29 Sep 2015, 10:10 am #1,031

(29 Sep 2015, 8:15 am)Swiny1 Hi. Apologies if this topic is not for this thread. I work at cobalt and apart from a couple of Arrival workings. GNE has the monopoly here during the day. However for over a week there have been stagecoach buses going round full  of drivers (presume route learning) GNE are not loosing any cobalt work are they?

Hi check the stagecoach upcoming service changes thread

Service 22 is being extended to Cobalt. GNE are not losing contracts

Andreos1

29 Sep 2015, 10:10 am #1,032

There are more details in the SNE changes thread - but, SNE are extending the 22, so it serves Cobalt. It extends from Wallsend via Rosehill.

I can't remember the start dates, but it is appearing on traveline.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Sep 2015, 10:10 am #1,032

There are more details in the SNE changes thread - but, SNE are extending the 22, so it serves Cobalt. It extends from Wallsend via Rosehill.

I can't remember the start dates, but it is appearing on traveline.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Swiny1

29 Sep 2015, 10:11 am #1,033
Ok. Thank you
Swiny1
29 Sep 2015, 10:11 am #1,033

Ok. Thank you

S813 FVK

29 Sep 2015, 4:27 pm #1,034
Spotted a black omnicity heading into Lanchester earlier. It seemed to be quite shiny (too shiny for 5253 imo) suggesting that it was 5250.
S813 FVK
29 Sep 2015, 4:27 pm #1,034

Spotted a black omnicity heading into Lanchester earlier. It seemed to be quite shiny (too shiny for 5253 imo) suggesting that it was 5250.

B10man

29 Sep 2015, 5:17 pm #1,035
Its probably one of the unbranded onces for the 96 it will be toon linked soon i expect.
B10man
29 Sep 2015, 5:17 pm #1,035

Its probably one of the unbranded onces for the 96 it will be toon linked soon i expect.

L469 YVK

29 Sep 2015, 8:03 pm #1,036
Ok folks, here's a mind boggling code for you all to decrypt and it's something to do with the way that GNE could retaliate if they wanted to over the extension of the 22. Has to be the exact answer!

STCUM6ROSHITE15CKEETAHILL10RY7T8V15OLMETVOWRI15GHTSINCLGLERIVSPLITHEXMIN

Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel
Edited 29 Sep 2015, 8:04 pm by L469 YVK.
L469 YVK
29 Sep 2015, 8:03 pm #1,036

Ok folks, here's a mind boggling code for you all to decrypt and it's something to do with the way that GNE could retaliate if they wanted to over the extension of the 22. Has to be the exact answer!

Michael

29 Sep 2015, 10:38 pm #1,037
(29 Sep 2015, 8:03 pm)DaveyBowyer Ok folks, here's a mind boggling code for you all to decrypt and it's something to do with the way that GNE could retaliate if they wanted to over the extension of the 22. Has to be the exact answer!

No idea....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
29 Sep 2015, 10:38 pm #1,037

(29 Sep 2015, 8:03 pm)DaveyBowyer Ok folks, here's a mind boggling code for you all to decrypt and it's something to do with the way that GNE could retaliate if they wanted to over the extension of the 22. Has to be the exact answer!

No idea....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

30 Sep 2015, 5:52 am #1,038
(29 Sep 2015, 7:20 am)Michael Only thing i don't like about the ones on the 4, is the set out of the seats....

That's exactly what I mean
NK53 TKT
30 Sep 2015, 5:52 am #1,038

(29 Sep 2015, 7:20 am)Michael Only thing i don't like about the ones on the 4, is the set out of the seats....

That's exactly what I mean

MVK 500R

30 Sep 2015, 7:29 am #1,039
Just had a bit of chat with one of the managers who boarded my number 1 at Byker. I presume it has something to do with the upcoming changes to the 22.
MVK 500R
30 Sep 2015, 7:29 am #1,039

Just had a bit of chat with one of the managers who boarded my number 1 at Byker. I presume it has something to do with the upcoming changes to the 22.

buss14

30 Sep 2015, 11:04 am #1,040
i don't know if this is a rumour or if it is true but apparently GO North east are going to operating a new 434 service in ashington replacing arriva's 34 and phoenix 30 service
buss14
30 Sep 2015, 11:04 am #1,040

i don't know if this is a rumour or if it is true but apparently GO North east are going to operating a new 434 service in ashington replacing arriva's 34 and phoenix 30 service

Pages (54) Previous 151 52 53 54 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average