Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Reduce bus stops to attract more passengers?

Reduce bus stops to attract more passengers?

Reduce bus stops to attract more passengers?

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3
Storx

27 Jun 2022, 7:05 pm #41
(27 Jun 2022, 7:01 pm)cbma06 It’s been mentioned on the forum before, the xline bus services Doesn’t mean express services like the time before, it’s more luxury like a facelift from a normal service even though it’s slighter quicker even though it’s only a matter of minutes difference, for consett depot the xlines brand are overkill and diluted and now really meaningless and pointless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I know, it's just an upgraded version of the Arriva MAX really which also turned a complete mess aswell by the end especially at Blyth with services like the 308 which isn't express in the slightest ending up in it. Least it hasn't got that bad.
Storx
27 Jun 2022, 7:05 pm #41

(27 Jun 2022, 7:01 pm)cbma06 It’s been mentioned on the forum before, the xline bus services Doesn’t mean express services like the time before, it’s more luxury like a facelift from a normal service even though it’s slighter quicker even though it’s only a matter of minutes difference, for consett depot the xlines brand are overkill and diluted and now really meaningless and pointless

Yeah I know, it's just an upgraded version of the Arriva MAX really which also turned a complete mess aswell by the end especially at Blyth with services like the 308 which isn't express in the slightest ending up in it. Least it hasn't got that bad.

Adrian

27 Jun 2022, 7:11 pm #42

The tagline is "frequent, rapid links from Go North East" - it's on the back of every Xlines bus. Doesn't that describe exactly what it is supposed to be?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
27 Jun 2022, 7:11 pm #42

The tagline is "frequent, rapid links from Go North East" - it's on the back of every Xlines bus. Doesn't that describe exactly what it is supposed to be?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Unber43

27 Jun 2022, 7:18 pm #43

I agree, whereas I feel like Washington & Riverside has the perfect amoutn with the X21 coming
Unber43
27 Jun 2022, 7:18 pm #43

I agree, whereas I feel like Washington & Riverside has the perfect amoutn with the X21 coming

27 Jun 2022, 7:23 pm #44
(27 Jun 2022, 7:00 pm)Jack Gill Personally I would class the X30/31 as an express service, they mainly go on the outskirts of places like Whickham and don't have that many stops.

I don't mind if an express service isn't limited stop, as long as they're infrequently used.

Take the X30/X31 for example, although it does technically serve every stop, in my experience it's very rare that it actually stops everywhere. You get a few people in Dunston and Whickham, but I don't recall it stopping very often between Sunniside and Stanley, at least outside of peak hours.
streetdeckfan
27 Jun 2022, 7:23 pm #44

(27 Jun 2022, 7:00 pm)Jack Gill Personally I would class the X30/31 as an express service, they mainly go on the outskirts of places like Whickham and don't have that many stops.

I don't mind if an express service isn't limited stop, as long as they're infrequently used.

Take the X30/X31 for example, although it does technically serve every stop, in my experience it's very rare that it actually stops everywhere. You get a few people in Dunston and Whickham, but I don't recall it stopping very often between Sunniside and Stanley, at least outside of peak hours.

Andreos1

27 Jun 2022, 7:25 pm #45
(27 Jun 2022, 7:23 pm)streetdeckfan I don't mind if an express service isn't limited stop, as long as they're infrequently used.

Despite that, the timetable for the X30/31 will reflect those stops. Removing them won't harm many, but would allow the journey time to be decreased and reduce layover/idling and potentially improve driver resource (yes a few minutes on one journey isn't going to make much difference, but added up over the course of a day/week/month, it will).
A bus ain't going to make money laying over or waiting time.

The 4 can be bad for that.
Sets off from Houghton towards Heworth and can end up laying over in Burnmoor for what seems like an eternity.
Ditto at the Galleries with the 4 and X1.
But the 4 on an evening or Sunday and its layover in Houghton can be there for 10/15mins.
The X1 at Dalton Park isn't an effective use of time either. Despite the connections it opens up.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
27 Jun 2022, 7:25 pm #45

(27 Jun 2022, 7:23 pm)streetdeckfan I don't mind if an express service isn't limited stop, as long as they're infrequently used.

Despite that, the timetable for the X30/31 will reflect those stops. Removing them won't harm many, but would allow the journey time to be decreased and reduce layover/idling and potentially improve driver resource (yes a few minutes on one journey isn't going to make much difference, but added up over the course of a day/week/month, it will).
A bus ain't going to make money laying over or waiting time.

The 4 can be bad for that.
Sets off from Houghton towards Heworth and can end up laying over in Burnmoor for what seems like an eternity.
Ditto at the Galleries with the 4 and X1.
But the 4 on an evening or Sunday and its layover in Houghton can be there for 10/15mins.
The X1 at Dalton Park isn't an effective use of time either. Despite the connections it opens up.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

27 Jun 2022, 7:51 pm #46
I do wish the X21 was a bit more limited stop though, given that it pretty much duplicates the Arriva 6 from Durham to West Auckland, there is no reason (other than poaching passengers) to serve every stop.

They could quite feasibly do West Auckland Club > St Helens Church > Tindale Retail park > Homebase > Cabin Gate > Hospital > Morrisons > Bus Station > Market Place > all stops to Middlestone Moor Post Office > Four Lane Ends > Spennymoor Precinct > Tudhoe Grange > Tudhoe Post Office > Current stops to Durham Bus Station/North Road > St Leonards School > Hospital > Fram Front Street > Pity Me Front Street > Kimblesworth Lane End > Plawsworth Red Lion > Chester Moor Inn > CLS Hermitage > CLS Black Horse > CLS Corals > Current stops to Newcastle
streetdeckfan
27 Jun 2022, 7:51 pm #46

I do wish the X21 was a bit more limited stop though, given that it pretty much duplicates the Arriva 6 from Durham to West Auckland, there is no reason (other than poaching passengers) to serve every stop.

They could quite feasibly do West Auckland Club > St Helens Church > Tindale Retail park > Homebase > Cabin Gate > Hospital > Morrisons > Bus Station > Market Place > all stops to Middlestone Moor Post Office > Four Lane Ends > Spennymoor Precinct > Tudhoe Grange > Tudhoe Post Office > Current stops to Durham Bus Station/North Road > St Leonards School > Hospital > Fram Front Street > Pity Me Front Street > Kimblesworth Lane End > Plawsworth Red Lion > Chester Moor Inn > CLS Hermitage > CLS Black Horse > CLS Corals > Current stops to Newcastle

Jack Gill

27 Jun 2022, 8:03 pm #47
Does the X21 really need to pass through Low Fell as well, surely a bit of time can be saved by avoiding Low Fell?
Jack Gill
27 Jun 2022, 8:03 pm #47

Does the X21 really need to pass through Low Fell as well, surely a bit of time can be saved by avoiding Low Fell?

27 Jun 2022, 9:31 pm #48
(27 Jun 2022, 8:03 pm)Jack Gill Does the X21 really need to pass through Low Fell as well, surely a bit of time can be saved by avoiding Low Fell?
I assume it mostly a case of how do you get it from CLS to Newcastle without going through Low Fell If it continues to serve gateshead. The only alternative would be staying on the A1 until Lobley hill and then going up bensham bank which would probably take just as long and opens the door to delays on both the A1 around team valley and bensham bank at peak times.
User2613
27 Jun 2022, 9:31 pm #48

(27 Jun 2022, 8:03 pm)Jack Gill Does the X21 really need to pass through Low Fell as well, surely a bit of time can be saved by avoiding Low Fell?
I assume it mostly a case of how do you get it from CLS to Newcastle without going through Low Fell If it continues to serve gateshead. The only alternative would be staying on the A1 until Lobley hill and then going up bensham bank which would probably take just as long and opens the door to delays on both the A1 around team valley and bensham bank at peak times.

mb134

27 Jun 2022, 9:40 pm #49

Similar for ANE's X15 - loads of stops up the A1 between Morpeth and Felton, and again north of Alnwick, but in reality it rarely stops.
mb134
27 Jun 2022, 9:40 pm #49

Similar for ANE's X15 - loads of stops up the A1 between Morpeth and Felton, and again north of Alnwick, but in reality it rarely stops.

27 Jun 2022, 11:42 pm #50
(27 Jun 2022, 9:31 pm)User2613 I assume it mostly a case of how do you get it from CLS to Newcastle without going through Low Fell If it continues to serve gateshead. The only alternative would be staying on the A1 until Lobley hill and then going up bensham bank which would probably take just as long and opens the door to delays on both the A1 around team valley and bensham bank at peak times.

I suppose one advantage of it missing out Low Fell would be that it can take the quickest route, the same way they can either go through Birtley or down the A1 to CLS. But, in reality, Low Fell is the quickest option 99% of the time as it's a more direct route
streetdeckfan
27 Jun 2022, 11:42 pm #50

(27 Jun 2022, 9:31 pm)User2613 I assume it mostly a case of how do you get it from CLS to Newcastle without going through Low Fell If it continues to serve gateshead. The only alternative would be staying on the A1 until Lobley hill and then going up bensham bank which would probably take just as long and opens the door to delays on both the A1 around team valley and bensham bank at peak times.

I suppose one advantage of it missing out Low Fell would be that it can take the quickest route, the same way they can either go through Birtley or down the A1 to CLS. But, in reality, Low Fell is the quickest option 99% of the time as it's a more direct route

28 Jun 2022, 2:12 am #51
(27 Jun 2022, 11:42 pm)streetdeckfan I suppose one advantage of it missing out Low Fell would be that it can take the quickest route, the same way they can either go through Birtley or down the A1 to CLS. But, in reality, Low Fell is the quickest option 99% of the time as it's a more direct route
That was my point given going through Low Fell is going to take the same amount of time or be quicker the majority of the time they may as well send it that way and have the extra stop at the cannon as an opportunity to make a bit of extra cash.
User2613
28 Jun 2022, 2:12 am #51

(27 Jun 2022, 11:42 pm)streetdeckfan I suppose one advantage of it missing out Low Fell would be that it can take the quickest route, the same way they can either go through Birtley or down the A1 to CLS. But, in reality, Low Fell is the quickest option 99% of the time as it's a more direct route
That was my point given going through Low Fell is going to take the same amount of time or be quicker the majority of the time they may as well send it that way and have the extra stop at the cannon as an opportunity to make a bit of extra cash.

Ds1197

28 Jun 2022, 9:12 am #52

Most the X21 went though wrekinton before they added a stop in low fell
Ds1197
28 Jun 2022, 9:12 am #52

Most the X21 went though wrekinton before they added a stop in low fell

F114TML

28 Jun 2022, 8:14 pm #53
(27 Jun 2022, 7:11 pm)Adrian The tagline is "frequent, rapid links from Go North East" - it's on the back of every Xlines bus. Doesn't that describe exactly what it is supposed to be?
The two-hourly X10 on a Sunday disagrees Wink
F114TML
28 Jun 2022, 8:14 pm #53

(27 Jun 2022, 7:11 pm)Adrian The tagline is "frequent, rapid links from Go North East" - it's on the back of every Xlines bus. Doesn't that describe exactly what it is supposed to be?
The two-hourly X10 on a Sunday disagrees Wink

29 Jun 2022, 1:45 pm #54
(28 Jun 2022, 9:12 am)Ds1197 Most the X21 went though wrekinton before they added a stop in low fell

I recall the conversations at the time saying that the X21 was mostly going through Low Fell before the stop there was introduced.

Other than via Wrekenton, did it also go via the Lobley Hill junction?
omnicity4659
29 Jun 2022, 1:45 pm #54

(28 Jun 2022, 9:12 am)Ds1197 Most the X21 went though wrekinton before they added a stop in low fell

I recall the conversations at the time saying that the X21 was mostly going through Low Fell before the stop there was introduced.

L469 YVK

29 Jun 2022, 1:50 pm #55
(29 Jun 2022, 1:45 pm)omnicity4659 I recall the conversations at the time saying that the X21 was mostly going through Low Fell before the stop there was introduced.

Did it not sometimes go via The Teams A184 then Bensham or Askew Road back in the Pronto days?
L469 YVK
29 Jun 2022, 1:50 pm #55

(29 Jun 2022, 1:45 pm)omnicity4659 I recall the conversations at the time saying that the X21 was mostly going through Low Fell before the stop there was introduced.

Did it not sometimes go via The Teams A184 then Bensham or Askew Road back in the Pronto days?

29 Jun 2022, 2:42 pm #56
(29 Jun 2022, 1:50 pm)L469 YVK Did it not sometimes go via The Teams A184 then Bensham or Askew Road back in the Pronto days?

Possibly, just seems a bit of a long detour without much benefit
omnicity4659
29 Jun 2022, 2:42 pm #56

(29 Jun 2022, 1:50 pm)L469 YVK Did it not sometimes go via The Teams A184 then Bensham or Askew Road back in the Pronto days?

Possibly, just seems a bit of a long detour without much benefit

BusLoverMum

29 Jun 2022, 2:43 pm #57
Yes, I remember being on one that did that when there were roadworks on Durham Road.
BusLoverMum
29 Jun 2022, 2:43 pm #57

Yes, I remember being on one that did that when there were roadworks on Durham Road.

30 Jun 2022, 9:17 am #58
I think I recall the X21 going down Dryden Road and Kells Lane instead of going straight down Durham Road a few times before it started stopping at The Cannon.

[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]
wibblejunior
30 Jun 2022, 9:17 am #58

I think I recall the X21 going down Dryden Road and Kells Lane instead of going straight down Durham Road a few times before it started stopping at The Cannon.

[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average