Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Why are you here?

Why are you here?

Why are you here?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Jamie M

Unregistered

22 Nov 2015, 9:49 pm #1
I've browsed these forums for a while without creating an account, and I've always wondered why I do so. I've always been interested in transport to some extent, but recently I've been able to get out more and have more time to myself, which has largely been spent travelling around the area on day tickets. I'm yet to discover why I do this, and why I have now decided to enter the community. Apart from being the daily commute into work, why do we spend our time going places via Bus, and why is it a hobby for you (if that's the correct thing to call it)? I struggle to answer these questions, but I'd like to hear some opinions/thoughts  Big Grin
Jamie M
22 Nov 2015, 9:49 pm #1

I've browsed these forums for a while without creating an account, and I've always wondered why I do so. I've always been interested in transport to some extent, but recently I've been able to get out more and have more time to myself, which has largely been spent travelling around the area on day tickets. I'm yet to discover why I do this, and why I have now decided to enter the community. Apart from being the daily commute into work, why do we spend our time going places via Bus, and why is it a hobby for you (if that's the correct thing to call it)? I struggle to answer these questions, but I'd like to hear some opinions/thoughts  Big Grin

Michael

22 Nov 2015, 9:53 pm #2
Welcome to the forum.

Honestly i have no idea how i entered the hobby and started like to like transport.

I left the hobby years ago and then re-entered sometime later.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Nov 2015, 9:53 pm #2

Welcome to the forum.

Honestly i have no idea how i entered the hobby and started like to like transport.

I left the hobby years ago and then re-entered sometime later.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Charles41

23 Nov 2015, 2:22 pm #3
Welcome to the forum.

I got back into buses as a hobby earlier this year. I used to be interested in them from age 13-18. I'm 41 years old now, have a long term partner and a good permanent job. I also care for my elderly father.

There's a number of reasons I got back into buses as a hobby, here goes:

1. The hobby motivates me to visit new places and meet new people. In the past few months I have travelled all over to North East of England to many places I had not been to since I was a child.
2. It takes my mind off problems I may be having and gives me something interesting to think about.
3. There are a wide variety of operators and vehicles. I cover as many as possible ranging from owner drivers with a single minibus through to the large groups such as Go-Ahead, Arriva and Stagecoach.
4. Operators, vehicles, liveries and services are always changing so there are always new things to see and explore.
5. The hobby is relatively cheap and does not take up too much of my time. I'm therefore able to maintain a balance between work, family, friends and other hobbies.
6. The fellow bus enthusiasts I have met have mainly been friendly, good natured people. Many operators have also been friendly and genuinely pleased that people take an interest in their businesses and their work. I've only had one run on when a guy at Easington wasn't happy that I took a photo of his minibus which was parked by the side of a road.
7. The hobby is a positive one that makes me feel good. To explain further there's no rivalry, fighting, killing or hatred.
8. I enjoy attending rallies to see the vintage vehicles. Many of these remind me of my happy childhood.
9. The hobby is one that is open to anyone of any age, race, sex or religion. There are no barriers to entry. Its good to see so many youngsters and young adults at rallies as it shows the enthusiast scene has a good future.
10. I feel there is no peer pressure and no need to be part of clique. Basically I can travel where I want and spot when I want in my own time. I do understand though that younger enthusiasts may feel a degree of peer pressure and may wish to fit in.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Charles
Charles41
23 Nov 2015, 2:22 pm #3

Welcome to the forum.

I got back into buses as a hobby earlier this year. I used to be interested in them from age 13-18. I'm 41 years old now, have a long term partner and a good permanent job. I also care for my elderly father.

1. The hobby motivates me to visit new places and meet new people. In the past few months I have travelled all over to North East of England to many places I had not been to since I was a child.
2. It takes my mind off problems I may be having and gives me something interesting to think about.
3. There are a wide variety of operators and vehicles. I cover as many as possible ranging from owner drivers with a single minibus through to the large groups such as Go-Ahead, Arriva and Stagecoach.
4. Operators, vehicles, liveries and services are always changing so there are always new things to see and explore.
5. The hobby is relatively cheap and does not take up too much of my time. I'm therefore able to maintain a balance between work, family, friends and other hobbies.
6. The fellow bus enthusiasts I have met have mainly been friendly, good natured people. Many operators have also been friendly and genuinely pleased that people take an interest in their businesses and their work. I've only had one run on when a guy at Easington wasn't happy that I took a photo of his minibus which was parked by the side of a road.
7. The hobby is a positive one that makes me feel good. To explain further there's no rivalry, fighting, killing or hatred.
8. I enjoy attending rallies to see the vintage vehicles. Many of these remind me of my happy childhood.
9. The hobby is one that is open to anyone of any age, race, sex or religion. There are no barriers to entry. Its good to see so many youngsters and young adults at rallies as it shows the enthusiast scene has a good future.
10. I feel there is no peer pressure and no need to be part of clique. Basically I can travel where I want and spot when I want in my own time. I do understand though that younger enthusiasts may feel a degree of peer pressure and may wish to fit in.

Charles

Andreos1

23 Nov 2015, 5:50 pm #4
(23 Nov 2015, 2:22 pm)Charles41 Welcome to the forum.

Charles

My interest came about when travelling on public transport as a kid. Of course it was a lot cheaper then!

On passing my driving test aged 18, I lost interest in the 'riding' side of things and lost track with regard to the fleet aspect too.
Despite working within the transport sector...
I wanted to drive everywhere and that was my priority.

Apart from trains, I wasn't bothered for a long period of time - until I rode (bizarrely if you read my posts), a Solar. Specifically one of the 52 reg batch Washington had.
Of course, an odd working turning up was always a positive, regardless of the route.
I think it was a combination of being able to drive, family commitments and some of the dross (in my opinion) the manufacturers were producing, that led to the lack of interest.

The role I am in now, gives me the opportunity to ride transport and get paid for it - across the UK.
The developments within social media and the internet, have made this a lot easier than in years gone by.

With regard to the points you make, I agree with the majority of points.
Apart from 7, but that ties in with some of the points you have raised in 10.
I feel there is bitchiness and an element of competition, which isn't a problem - unless you feel as though you have to integrate yourself into a clique or group of some sort.
I also think some revel in the element of power that clique or group may bring.
Andreos1
23 Nov 2015, 5:50 pm #4

(23 Nov 2015, 2:22 pm)Charles41 Welcome to the forum.

Charles

My interest came about when travelling on public transport as a kid. Of course it was a lot cheaper then!

On passing my driving test aged 18, I lost interest in the 'riding' side of things and lost track with regard to the fleet aspect too.
Despite working within the transport sector...
I wanted to drive everywhere and that was my priority.

Apart from trains, I wasn't bothered for a long period of time - until I rode (bizarrely if you read my posts), a Solar. Specifically one of the 52 reg batch Washington had.
Of course, an odd working turning up was always a positive, regardless of the route.
I think it was a combination of being able to drive, family commitments and some of the dross (in my opinion) the manufacturers were producing, that led to the lack of interest.

The role I am in now, gives me the opportunity to ride transport and get paid for it - across the UK.
The developments within social media and the internet, have made this a lot easier than in years gone by.

With regard to the points you make, I agree with the majority of points.
Apart from 7, but that ties in with some of the points you have raised in 10.
I feel there is bitchiness and an element of competition, which isn't a problem - unless you feel as though you have to integrate yourself into a clique or group of some sort.
I also think some revel in the element of power that clique or group may bring.

Jimmi

23 Nov 2015, 6:51 pm #5
Think my interest came about from having to travel everywhere by bus throughout my life for social commitments, college etc. In my spare time I ride about going to various different places around the region which means I get to explore new places around about and it also gives me a chance to switch off for a bit and just sit back and soak in the scenery.

It has given me the opportunity to meet new people including other people within the hobby although I haven't always spoke to all of them as I have issues which prevent me from doing so.

I'm not sure I totally agree with Charles' comment about there not being any hatred, rivalry or anything like that, I've seen a fair few arguments, bitchiness and banter (or bullying as I call it) between enthusiasts in the short time I've been actively involved in the hobby and there is definitely some cliques within the hobby. It is unfortunate that some of this happens but you should try and not let it spoil your enjoyment of the hobby as most seem to be alright, it's just a few bad eggs I've found.
Jimmi
23 Nov 2015, 6:51 pm #5

Think my interest came about from having to travel everywhere by bus throughout my life for social commitments, college etc. In my spare time I ride about going to various different places around the region which means I get to explore new places around about and it also gives me a chance to switch off for a bit and just sit back and soak in the scenery.

It has given me the opportunity to meet new people including other people within the hobby although I haven't always spoke to all of them as I have issues which prevent me from doing so.

I'm not sure I totally agree with Charles' comment about there not being any hatred, rivalry or anything like that, I've seen a fair few arguments, bitchiness and banter (or bullying as I call it) between enthusiasts in the short time I've been actively involved in the hobby and there is definitely some cliques within the hobby. It is unfortunate that some of this happens but you should try and not let it spoil your enjoyment of the hobby as most seem to be alright, it's just a few bad eggs I've found.

23 Nov 2015, 6:55 pm #6
I had an interest in buses since I was young. I can remember MetroRiders on the Arriva 35 and the double-press bell to stop at the next safe place (mainly abused by me as a little one, I feel sorry for the other passengers of the then 441, all them stops in Blyth!). More recently was the Bargain Express X41, which me and my mam used frequently until its demise.

I enjoy the hobby, I've been as far south as York and as far north as Edinburgh (oh, and the holiday in Sharm-el-Shiekh where I memorised the times of the coaches from the estate to the airport Big Grin ).

I tend to travel solo, occasionally meeting up with people, although I 'limit' myself to certain people as I have issues with trust.
omnicity4659
23 Nov 2015, 6:55 pm #6

I had an interest in buses since I was young. I can remember MetroRiders on the Arriva 35 and the double-press bell to stop at the next safe place (mainly abused by me as a little one, I feel sorry for the other passengers of the then 441, all them stops in Blyth!). More recently was the Bargain Express X41, which me and my mam used frequently until its demise.

I enjoy the hobby, I've been as far south as York and as far north as Edinburgh (oh, and the holiday in Sharm-el-Shiekh where I memorised the times of the coaches from the estate to the airport Big Grin ).

I tend to travel solo, occasionally meeting up with people, although I 'limit' myself to certain people as I have issues with trust.

23 Nov 2015, 7:25 pm #7
May as well make a post in this thread.

Although it's a topic that I've covered many times previously on the forum; given that you're new here, and I like to recollect memories, I don't object to retelling the story. When I was younger, I used to ride the bus with my late grandad. He lived in Pelton, a village in the area of Chester-le-Street. We used to catch a bus from Pelton to Chester-le-Street just before 09:00 on the days that I was with him; it was either the 775 or 778, now the present day 78 route with elements of the 8 incorporated into it. The vehicle was almost always one of Stanley depot's Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns. After having a wander around the town centre for a short while, we would then catch a bus back up to Pelton. Depending on what we had done and how much time we had consumed; it was typically either the 775/778 (again, with a Wright Renown nine times out of ten), or the 729 (which had a tendency to throw up a DAF SB220GS/Plaxton Prestige). Although it wasn't exactly a hobby at that age; it was something I used to love doing and enjoyed. Upon starting secondary education in the 2012-2013 academic year; I began catching the bus (now either the 8 or 78) up to my grandad's house. I enjoyed the feeling of independence that it initially gave me, and I began doing it every weekend. As it had done when I travelled on the bus with my late grandad when I was younger; the allocation was still Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns. The service had since fallen into the hands of a branded route; known as the ''Lime'' – in contrast to the distinct ''Red, Blue and Yellow'' livery that the vehicles wore when I first took an interest in them all of those years ago. Fleet numbers 4850-4855 were based at Chester-le-Street depot, along with 4896 – and the allocation was split between that depot and Stanley. When I was younger; the service was operated entirely by Stanley depot. Chester-le-Street then (and still do now) had something of a monopolistic share of the Peak Vehicle Requirement, with a PVR of 7. Fleet numbers 4897-4902 were then the vehicles based at Stanley. All 13 Renowns wore ''Lime'' branding at this point in time. As time went by; I began to expand further out on my adventures, and started travelling on the bus to Newcastle, Durham, Sunderland, Stanley, the MetroCentre and other places. I also began to enjoy riding 4862/4864-4866 on the ''Lambton Worm'' 34/34A services; with the throaty roar of the DAF SB220GS engine collaborated with the ZF Ecomat gearbox; producing a fantastic noise. Some other vehicles that reminded me of my earliest memories were 4983-4987; branded for the ''Waggonway'' 28/28A services. All marvellous vehicles; I'd love to spend a day riding them on their respective routes. In September 2013; the first big change took place. Five of Washington depot's Solars; 4956-4960, transferred to Chester-le-Street to replace 4983-4987. They were withdrawn overnight and disposed of almost immediately. I didn't get the chance for a final goodbye. Then again, in November; 4862/4864-66 were displaced by Versas 8302-8304 from Deptford. With the DAFs gone, and the realisation that the Renowns on the ''Lime'' routes weren't too far away from their fates; I began making the most of my opportunities with them. In early March 2014; my grandad was suddenly diagnosed with Stage 4 stomach cancer, and passed away on the 31st March. It was such a short period of time, and I struggled to understand how it had happened all so fast. One minute he was there, and then the next, he was not. I'm still not completely over his death, and think about him constantly. Luckily, I still had a while with my Renowns. In August of that year; 4850-4852 were withdrawn from Chester-le-Street. I began spending entire days riding the remaining vehicles; in that time, 4896-4902 were all repainted into the company's corporate livery; hinting at their survival after being replaced on the routes. 4853-4855; the remaining ''Lime'' Renowns at Chester-le-Street, made it until May before being displaced by the Wright Streetlites that had been chosen for the route. They just sound depressing, uninspiring, and whingey. Much like myself. Fortunately; 4855 was preserved by the Northern National Restoration Group. I'm a core member of the group, and was offered a lift to Seaburn in Leyland National Mk2 4710, which I was very appreciative of. I am looking forward to being reunited with 4855 in the future. Anyway, that's pretty much the story of why I'm interested in buses. It's basically because of the memories I have of riding them with my late grandad. Brief life-story over.

My other interests include trains; I enjoy travelling on the train. I love the sight of an InterCity 125 or InterCity 225 in their natural habitats. Personally, I prefer to ride the latter over the former; although the former holds a more historic appeal than the latter, the latter offers a more comfortable journey. Although I hate flying; I'm also fascinated by aviation, especially the larger aircraft such as Boeing 747s and Airbus A380s. In terms of education; I am a fan of reading, preferably dystopian novels. George Orwell's ''Animal Farm'' and ''1984'' are both enjoyable reads, if not somewhat depressing. I don't find the community particularly enjoyable; although I contribute what I can to it, there are some who just fail to understand the views of others, and when they are wrong and not right. Some of whom, regrettably, lurk on the forum. The ''proles'' as I call them (referencing back to ''1984''). I won't name names. It's a difficult community to enjoy when it is filled with some of the most distasteful of people. However; I have a select group of friends within the community, of whom's friendship I am most grateful for. Despite being brought up in a middle-class family with a bright future ahead for me; I am very cynical and it often shows. Hopefully this answers your question. 

Marcus
R852 PRG
23 Nov 2015, 7:25 pm #7

May as well make a post in this thread.

Although it's a topic that I've covered many times previously on the forum; given that you're new here, and I like to recollect memories, I don't object to retelling the story. When I was younger, I used to ride the bus with my late grandad. He lived in Pelton, a village in the area of Chester-le-Street. We used to catch a bus from Pelton to Chester-le-Street just before 09:00 on the days that I was with him; it was either the 775 or 778, now the present day 78 route with elements of the 8 incorporated into it. The vehicle was almost always one of Stanley depot's Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns. After having a wander around the town centre for a short while, we would then catch a bus back up to Pelton. Depending on what we had done and how much time we had consumed; it was typically either the 775/778 (again, with a Wright Renown nine times out of ten), or the 729 (which had a tendency to throw up a DAF SB220GS/Plaxton Prestige). Although it wasn't exactly a hobby at that age; it was something I used to love doing and enjoyed. Upon starting secondary education in the 2012-2013 academic year; I began catching the bus (now either the 8 or 78) up to my grandad's house. I enjoyed the feeling of independence that it initially gave me, and I began doing it every weekend. As it had done when I travelled on the bus with my late grandad when I was younger; the allocation was still Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns. The service had since fallen into the hands of a branded route; known as the ''Lime'' – in contrast to the distinct ''Red, Blue and Yellow'' livery that the vehicles wore when I first took an interest in them all of those years ago. Fleet numbers 4850-4855 were based at Chester-le-Street depot, along with 4896 – and the allocation was split between that depot and Stanley. When I was younger; the service was operated entirely by Stanley depot. Chester-le-Street then (and still do now) had something of a monopolistic share of the Peak Vehicle Requirement, with a PVR of 7. Fleet numbers 4897-4902 were then the vehicles based at Stanley. All 13 Renowns wore ''Lime'' branding at this point in time. As time went by; I began to expand further out on my adventures, and started travelling on the bus to Newcastle, Durham, Sunderland, Stanley, the MetroCentre and other places. I also began to enjoy riding 4862/4864-4866 on the ''Lambton Worm'' 34/34A services; with the throaty roar of the DAF SB220GS engine collaborated with the ZF Ecomat gearbox; producing a fantastic noise. Some other vehicles that reminded me of my earliest memories were 4983-4987; branded for the ''Waggonway'' 28/28A services. All marvellous vehicles; I'd love to spend a day riding them on their respective routes. In September 2013; the first big change took place. Five of Washington depot's Solars; 4956-4960, transferred to Chester-le-Street to replace 4983-4987. They were withdrawn overnight and disposed of almost immediately. I didn't get the chance for a final goodbye. Then again, in November; 4862/4864-66 were displaced by Versas 8302-8304 from Deptford. With the DAFs gone, and the realisation that the Renowns on the ''Lime'' routes weren't too far away from their fates; I began making the most of my opportunities with them. In early March 2014; my grandad was suddenly diagnosed with Stage 4 stomach cancer, and passed away on the 31st March. It was such a short period of time, and I struggled to understand how it had happened all so fast. One minute he was there, and then the next, he was not. I'm still not completely over his death, and think about him constantly. Luckily, I still had a while with my Renowns. In August of that year; 4850-4852 were withdrawn from Chester-le-Street. I began spending entire days riding the remaining vehicles; in that time, 4896-4902 were all repainted into the company's corporate livery; hinting at their survival after being replaced on the routes. 4853-4855; the remaining ''Lime'' Renowns at Chester-le-Street, made it until May before being displaced by the Wright Streetlites that had been chosen for the route. They just sound depressing, uninspiring, and whingey. Much like myself. Fortunately; 4855 was preserved by the Northern National Restoration Group. I'm a core member of the group, and was offered a lift to Seaburn in Leyland National Mk2 4710, which I was very appreciative of. I am looking forward to being reunited with 4855 in the future. Anyway, that's pretty much the story of why I'm interested in buses. It's basically because of the memories I have of riding them with my late grandad. Brief life-story over.

My other interests include trains; I enjoy travelling on the train. I love the sight of an InterCity 125 or InterCity 225 in their natural habitats. Personally, I prefer to ride the latter over the former; although the former holds a more historic appeal than the latter, the latter offers a more comfortable journey. Although I hate flying; I'm also fascinated by aviation, especially the larger aircraft such as Boeing 747s and Airbus A380s. In terms of education; I am a fan of reading, preferably dystopian novels. George Orwell's ''Animal Farm'' and ''1984'' are both enjoyable reads, if not somewhat depressing. I don't find the community particularly enjoyable; although I contribute what I can to it, there are some who just fail to understand the views of others, and when they are wrong and not right. Some of whom, regrettably, lurk on the forum. The ''proles'' as I call them (referencing back to ''1984''). I won't name names. It's a difficult community to enjoy when it is filled with some of the most distasteful of people. However; I have a select group of friends within the community, of whom's friendship I am most grateful for. Despite being brought up in a middle-class family with a bright future ahead for me; I am very cynical and it often shows. Hopefully this answers your question. 

Marcus

BusLoverMum

23 Nov 2015, 7:33 pm #8
(22 Nov 2015, 9:49 pm)Jamie M I've browsed these forums for a while without creating an account, and I've always wondered why I do so. I've always been interested in transport to some extent, but recently I've been able to get out more and have more time to myself, which has largely been spent travelling around the area on day tickets. I'm yet to discover why I do this, and why I have now decided to enter the community. Apart from being the daily commute into work, why do we spend our time going places via Bus, and why is it a hobby for you (if that's the correct thing to call it)? I struggle to answer these questions, but I'd like to hear some opinions/thoughts  Big Grin

I'm a young bus enthusiast's minder.
BusLoverMum
23 Nov 2015, 7:33 pm #8

(22 Nov 2015, 9:49 pm)Jamie M I've browsed these forums for a while without creating an account, and I've always wondered why I do so. I've always been interested in transport to some extent, but recently I've been able to get out more and have more time to myself, which has largely been spent travelling around the area on day tickets. I'm yet to discover why I do this, and why I have now decided to enter the community. Apart from being the daily commute into work, why do we spend our time going places via Bus, and why is it a hobby for you (if that's the correct thing to call it)? I struggle to answer these questions, but I'd like to hear some opinions/thoughts  Big Grin

I'm a young bus enthusiast's minder.

Davie

Banned

23 Nov 2015, 8:08 pm #9
I've always had an intrest in buses and I thought it may be a good idea to be able to interact with fellow enthusiasts. Although I don't get along with a handful of enthusiasts, I have met some great people who I have became good friends with.
Davie
23 Nov 2015, 8:08 pm #9

I've always had an intrest in buses and I thought it may be a good idea to be able to interact with fellow enthusiasts. Although I don't get along with a handful of enthusiasts, I have met some great people who I have became good friends with.

DanPicken

Banned

23 Nov 2015, 8:39 pm #10
I've been interested in buses/metro/trains since I was around 3, it started by spelling Metro stations out. I would always like riding the Metro as in the 2000's there was a wide variation of liveries so I would always love seeing a new one, however being so young I had trouble opening the doors as they were the black buttons which alot of others struggled with (not the ones on 4001/2). My oldest bus memories are of the 527/8 etc when the South Tyneside Network all started with 5 similar to Consett/Stanley with 7 I can remember the Driver Training Nationals, just. I can remember the Eclipses when new and having SPD's going around after the major changes of around 2006/7 where the 5 prefix went and the 87-9 came around along with the 27/A. When the 27/A were streamlined into an every 10 minute 27 with 8242-55/60, which is my first memory of the Cadets as 8274/5 also turned up on the 87's for a while before 2009 when the Marshall Capitals arrived and 8274/5 went to the 61 (Does anyone know where they went?). I also remember the Compasses on the 544.

Now there's the 2010 changes which were major as it was the reshuffle and change as the 5 started while the 13/4 were moved into the 10/1 the 15/6 came with the 16 having the ex Blaydon Racer Darts and the 15 using Veolia Solo's they also introduced the 515 and 530. There wasn't much change after that apart from allocations and the 88/A forming along with the 516. I then left Hebburn in 2012 for the Scotch Estate/Brockley Whins where Stagecoach won the Jarrow - South Shields Contract running as the 18A which became the 88 in 2013. South Tyne Lad can back me up on South Tyneside and the services.

When I caught the scholars in Primary Kingsley ran it 104/6 were the allocation and whenever I couldn't catch it a High Floor would be on, typical however my current scholars the 816 is currently in the hands of GCT having previously been GNE. I get the 88 to school which when I started in Y7 was Cadet allocation, though it was more common to see an MPD and once 8289, now it's Versa's which are slowly getting worse.

This seems to be more of a Life Story, oh well, thanks for reading.

Dan
DanPicken
23 Nov 2015, 8:39 pm #10

I've been interested in buses/metro/trains since I was around 3, it started by spelling Metro stations out. I would always like riding the Metro as in the 2000's there was a wide variation of liveries so I would always love seeing a new one, however being so young I had trouble opening the doors as they were the black buttons which alot of others struggled with (not the ones on 4001/2). My oldest bus memories are of the 527/8 etc when the South Tyneside Network all started with 5 similar to Consett/Stanley with 7 I can remember the Driver Training Nationals, just. I can remember the Eclipses when new and having SPD's going around after the major changes of around 2006/7 where the 5 prefix went and the 87-9 came around along with the 27/A. When the 27/A were streamlined into an every 10 minute 27 with 8242-55/60, which is my first memory of the Cadets as 8274/5 also turned up on the 87's for a while before 2009 when the Marshall Capitals arrived and 8274/5 went to the 61 (Does anyone know where they went?). I also remember the Compasses on the 544.

Now there's the 2010 changes which were major as it was the reshuffle and change as the 5 started while the 13/4 were moved into the 10/1 the 15/6 came with the 16 having the ex Blaydon Racer Darts and the 15 using Veolia Solo's they also introduced the 515 and 530. There wasn't much change after that apart from allocations and the 88/A forming along with the 516. I then left Hebburn in 2012 for the Scotch Estate/Brockley Whins where Stagecoach won the Jarrow - South Shields Contract running as the 18A which became the 88 in 2013. South Tyne Lad can back me up on South Tyneside and the services.

When I caught the scholars in Primary Kingsley ran it 104/6 were the allocation and whenever I couldn't catch it a High Floor would be on, typical however my current scholars the 816 is currently in the hands of GCT having previously been GNE. I get the 88 to school which when I started in Y7 was Cadet allocation, though it was more common to see an MPD and once 8289, now it's Versa's which are slowly getting worse.

Dan

DanPicken

Banned

23 Nov 2015, 8:40 pm #11
(23 Nov 2015, 8:08 pm)Davie I've always had an intrest in buses and I thought it may be a good idea to be able to interact with fellow enthusiasts. Although I don't get along with a handful of enthusiasts, I have met some great people who I have became good friends with.

Inc. me.
DanPicken
23 Nov 2015, 8:40 pm #11

(23 Nov 2015, 8:08 pm)Davie I've always had an intrest in buses and I thought it may be a good idea to be able to interact with fellow enthusiasts. Although I don't get along with a handful of enthusiasts, I have met some great people who I have became good friends with.

Inc. me.

Davie

Banned

23 Nov 2015, 9:06 pm #12
(23 Nov 2015, 8:40 pm)DanPicken Inc. me.
Aye, You, Lee, Bazza, Steven, Garry ect.
Edited 06 Dec 2015, 10:14 am by Davie.
Davie
23 Nov 2015, 9:06 pm #12

(23 Nov 2015, 8:40 pm)DanPicken Inc. me.
Aye, You, Lee, Bazza, Steven, Garry ect.

MVK 500R

24 Nov 2015, 10:53 am #13
My interest in buses is mainly historical. I prefer the buses that ran when I was a kid, especially Leyland Atlanteans. My interest also comes from the fact that family members were either bus drivers or conductors.
MVK 500R
24 Nov 2015, 10:53 am #13

My interest in buses is mainly historical. I prefer the buses that ran when I was a kid, especially Leyland Atlanteans. My interest also comes from the fact that family members were either bus drivers or conductors.

24 Nov 2015, 9:37 pm #14
(23 Nov 2015, 7:25 pm)R852 PRG May as well make a post in this thread.

Although it's a topic that I've covered many times previously on the forum; given that you're new here, and I like to recollect memories, I don't object to retelling the story. When I was younger, I used to ride the bus with my late grandad. He lived in Pelton, a village in the area of Chester-le-Street. We used to catch a bus from Pelton to Chester-le-Street just before 09:00 on the days that I was with him; it was either the 775 or 778, now the present day 78 route with elements of the 8 incorporated into it. The vehicle was almost always one of Stanley depot's Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns. After having a wander around the town centre for a short while, we would then catch a bus back up to Pelton. Depending on what we had done and how much time we had consumed; it was typically either the 775/778 (again, with a Wright Renown nine times out of ten), or the 729 (which had a tendency to throw up a DAF SB220GS/Plaxton Prestige). Although it wasn't exactly a hobby at that age; it was something I used to love doing and enjoyed. Upon starting secondary education in the 2012-2013 academic year; I began catching the bus (now either the 8 or 78) up to my grandad's house. I enjoyed the feeling of
independence that it initially gave me, and I began doing it every weekend. As it had done when I travelled on the bus with my late grandad when I was younger; the allocation was still Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns. The service had since fallen into the hands of a branded route; known as the ''Lime'' – in contrast to the distinct ''Red, Blue and Yellow'' livery that the vehicles wore when I first took an interest in them all of those years ago. Fleet numbers 4850-4855 were based at Chester-le-Street depot, along with 4896 – and the allocation was split between that depot and Stanley. When I was younger; the service was operated entirely by Stanley depot. Chester-le-Street then (and still do now) had something of a monopolistic share of the Peak Vehicle Requirement, with a PVR of 7. Fleet numbers 4897-4902 were then the vehicles based at Stanley. All 13 Renowns wore ''Lime'' branding at this point in time. As time went by; I began to expand further out on my adventures, and started travelling on the bus to Newcastle, Durham, Sunderland, Stanley, the MetroCentre and other places. I also began to enjoy riding 4862/4864-4866 on the ''Lambton Worm'' 34/34A services; with the throaty roar of the DAF SB220GS engine collaborated with the ZF Ecomat gearbox; producing a fantastic noise. Some other vehicles that reminded me of my earliest memories were 4983-4987; branded for the ''Waggonway'' 28/28A services. All marvellous vehicles; I'd love to spend a day riding them on their respective routes. In September 2013; the first big change took place. Five of Washington depot's Solars; 4956-4960, transferred to Chester-le-Street to replace 4983-4987. They were withdrawn overnight and disposed of almost immediately. I didn't get the chance for a final goodbye. Then again, in November; 4862/4864-66 were displaced by Versas 8302-8304 from Deptford. With the DAFs gone, and the realisation that the Renowns on the ''Lime'' routes weren't too far away from their fates; I began making the most of my opportunities with them. In early March 2014; my grandad was suddenly diagnosed with Stage 4 stomach cancer, and passed away on the 31
st March. It was such a short period of time, and I struggled to understand how it had happened all so fast. One minute he was there, and then the next, he was not. I'm still not completely over his death, and think about him constantly. Luckily, I still had a while with my Renowns. In August of that year; 4850-4852 were withdrawn from Chester-le-Street. I began spending entire days riding the remaining vehicles; in that time, 4896-4902 were all repainted into the company's
corporate livery; hinting at their survival after being replaced on the routes. 4853-4855; the remaining
''Lime'' Renowns at Chester-le-Street, made it until May before being displaced by the Wright Streetlites that had been chosen for the route. They just sound depressing, uninspiring, and whingey. Much like myself. Fortunately; 4855 was preserved by the Northern National Restoration Group. I'm a core member of the group, and was offered a lift to Seaburn in Leyland National Mk2 4710, which I was very appreciative of. I am looking forward to being reunited with 4855 in the future. Anyway, that's pretty much the story of why I'm interested in buses. It's basically because of the memories I have of riding them with my late grandad. Brief life-story over.

My other interests include trains; I enjoy travelling on the train. I love the sight of an InterCity 125 or InterCity 225 in their natural habitats. Personally, I prefer to ride the latter over the former; although the
former holds a more historic appeal than the latter, the latter offers a more comfortable journey. Although I hate flying; I'm also fascinated by aviation, especially the larger aircraft such as Boeing 747s and Airbus A380s. In terms of education; I am a fan of reading, preferably dystopian novels. George Orwell's ''Animal Farm'' and ''1984'' are both enjoyable reads, if not somewhat depressing. I don't find the community particularly enjoyable; although I contribute what I can to it, there are some who just fail to understand the views of others, and when they are wrong and not right. Some of whom, regrettably, lurk on the forum. The ''proles'' as I call them (referencing back to ''1984''). I won't name names. It's a difficult community to enjoy when it is filled with some of the most distasteful of people. However; I have a select group of friends within the community, of whom's friendship I am most grateful for. Despite being brought up in a middle-class family with a bright future ahead for me; I am very cynical and it often shows. Hopefully this answers your question. 

Marcus

Very similar to me, just you had the Lime and I had the MPDs on the Arriva 46, or 332, where I got my love for URBAN 90 seats. I also used Plaxton Verdes thrice weekly on the 158 scholars with my grandma, this was not my schools scholars, which is why I would be happy to board a scholars bus if it was going to my destination. 
From a young ageI have been interested in flying, I personally have been to 11 countries across the world, I travel by train 14 times a year to London to see relatives. I have always loved the engine sound in buses like 555, this makes me a bit of a StreetLite fan. 
In terms of trains nothing beats a good HST or, something I use 14 times a year, a class 465.
I was lucky enough to have a trial flying lesson this year with Durham Aerosports, an experience I loved and am hoping to repeat soon as a Christmas present. I used to come for sleepovers with my Grandparents in Darras Hall and get the 74 to Great Whittington and see the cows and sheep in the fields, I still have sleepovers and go on bus outings with her, I am on an outing to Consett on Friday, I am hoping to sample a 689 from Consett to Hexham on my teacher training day.
Since age 2 I have travelled to Crete every year, normally with Jet2, thus my favourite aircraft is a Boeing 757. Because of my love for transport it has got me in top-set at school in geography, I started High School this September and am very much enjoying it, I just don't like the morning metro.
I am lucky to have a great family, my dad used to be a priest for the Catholic Church, he quit to have a family, he now is very high in Primary education in charge of 105 first, primary and middle schools. My mam is a headteacher, this combination of parents means that I get holidays and small luxuries, I hope to go on and be successful.
NK53 TKT (Jack)
NK53 TKT
24 Nov 2015, 9:37 pm #14

(23 Nov 2015, 7:25 pm)R852 PRG May as well make a post in this thread.

Although it's a topic that I've covered many times previously on the forum; given that you're new here, and I like to recollect memories, I don't object to retelling the story. When I was younger, I used to ride the bus with my late grandad. He lived in Pelton, a village in the area of Chester-le-Street. We used to catch a bus from Pelton to Chester-le-Street just before 09:00 on the days that I was with him; it was either the 775 or 778, now the present day 78 route with elements of the 8 incorporated into it. The vehicle was almost always one of Stanley depot's Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns. After having a wander around the town centre for a short while, we would then catch a bus back up to Pelton. Depending on what we had done and how much time we had consumed; it was typically either the 775/778 (again, with a Wright Renown nine times out of ten), or the 729 (which had a tendency to throw up a DAF SB220GS/Plaxton Prestige). Although it wasn't exactly a hobby at that age; it was something I used to love doing and enjoyed. Upon starting secondary education in the 2012-2013 academic year; I began catching the bus (now either the 8 or 78) up to my grandad's house. I enjoyed the feeling of
independence that it initially gave me, and I began doing it every weekend. As it had done when I travelled on the bus with my late grandad when I was younger; the allocation was still Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renowns. The service had since fallen into the hands of a branded route; known as the ''Lime'' – in contrast to the distinct ''Red, Blue and Yellow'' livery that the vehicles wore when I first took an interest in them all of those years ago. Fleet numbers 4850-4855 were based at Chester-le-Street depot, along with 4896 – and the allocation was split between that depot and Stanley. When I was younger; the service was operated entirely by Stanley depot. Chester-le-Street then (and still do now) had something of a monopolistic share of the Peak Vehicle Requirement, with a PVR of 7. Fleet numbers 4897-4902 were then the vehicles based at Stanley. All 13 Renowns wore ''Lime'' branding at this point in time. As time went by; I began to expand further out on my adventures, and started travelling on the bus to Newcastle, Durham, Sunderland, Stanley, the MetroCentre and other places. I also began to enjoy riding 4862/4864-4866 on the ''Lambton Worm'' 34/34A services; with the throaty roar of the DAF SB220GS engine collaborated with the ZF Ecomat gearbox; producing a fantastic noise. Some other vehicles that reminded me of my earliest memories were 4983-4987; branded for the ''Waggonway'' 28/28A services. All marvellous vehicles; I'd love to spend a day riding them on their respective routes. In September 2013; the first big change took place. Five of Washington depot's Solars; 4956-4960, transferred to Chester-le-Street to replace 4983-4987. They were withdrawn overnight and disposed of almost immediately. I didn't get the chance for a final goodbye. Then again, in November; 4862/4864-66 were displaced by Versas 8302-8304 from Deptford. With the DAFs gone, and the realisation that the Renowns on the ''Lime'' routes weren't too far away from their fates; I began making the most of my opportunities with them. In early March 2014; my grandad was suddenly diagnosed with Stage 4 stomach cancer, and passed away on the 31
st March. It was such a short period of time, and I struggled to understand how it had happened all so fast. One minute he was there, and then the next, he was not. I'm still not completely over his death, and think about him constantly. Luckily, I still had a while with my Renowns. In August of that year; 4850-4852 were withdrawn from Chester-le-Street. I began spending entire days riding the remaining vehicles; in that time, 4896-4902 were all repainted into the company's
corporate livery; hinting at their survival after being replaced on the routes. 4853-4855; the remaining
''Lime'' Renowns at Chester-le-Street, made it until May before being displaced by the Wright Streetlites that had been chosen for the route. They just sound depressing, uninspiring, and whingey. Much like myself. Fortunately; 4855 was preserved by the Northern National Restoration Group. I'm a core member of the group, and was offered a lift to Seaburn in Leyland National Mk2 4710, which I was very appreciative of. I am looking forward to being reunited with 4855 in the future. Anyway, that's pretty much the story of why I'm interested in buses. It's basically because of the memories I have of riding them with my late grandad. Brief life-story over.

My other interests include trains; I enjoy travelling on the train. I love the sight of an InterCity 125 or InterCity 225 in their natural habitats. Personally, I prefer to ride the latter over the former; although the
former holds a more historic appeal than the latter, the latter offers a more comfortable journey. Although I hate flying; I'm also fascinated by aviation, especially the larger aircraft such as Boeing 747s and Airbus A380s. In terms of education; I am a fan of reading, preferably dystopian novels. George Orwell's ''Animal Farm'' and ''1984'' are both enjoyable reads, if not somewhat depressing. I don't find the community particularly enjoyable; although I contribute what I can to it, there are some who just fail to understand the views of others, and when they are wrong and not right. Some of whom, regrettably, lurk on the forum. The ''proles'' as I call them (referencing back to ''1984''). I won't name names. It's a difficult community to enjoy when it is filled with some of the most distasteful of people. However; I have a select group of friends within the community, of whom's friendship I am most grateful for. Despite being brought up in a middle-class family with a bright future ahead for me; I am very cynical and it often shows. Hopefully this answers your question. 

Marcus

Very similar to me, just you had the Lime and I had the MPDs on the Arriva 46, or 332, where I got my love for URBAN 90 seats. I also used Plaxton Verdes thrice weekly on the 158 scholars with my grandma, this was not my schools scholars, which is why I would be happy to board a scholars bus if it was going to my destination. 
From a young ageI have been interested in flying, I personally have been to 11 countries across the world, I travel by train 14 times a year to London to see relatives. I have always loved the engine sound in buses like 555, this makes me a bit of a StreetLite fan. 
In terms of trains nothing beats a good HST or, something I use 14 times a year, a class 465.
I was lucky enough to have a trial flying lesson this year with Durham Aerosports, an experience I loved and am hoping to repeat soon as a Christmas present. I used to come for sleepovers with my Grandparents in Darras Hall and get the 74 to Great Whittington and see the cows and sheep in the fields, I still have sleepovers and go on bus outings with her, I am on an outing to Consett on Friday, I am hoping to sample a 689 from Consett to Hexham on my teacher training day.
Since age 2 I have travelled to Crete every year, normally with Jet2, thus my favourite aircraft is a Boeing 757. Because of my love for transport it has got me in top-set at school in geography, I started High School this September and am very much enjoying it, I just don't like the morning metro.
I am lucky to have a great family, my dad used to be a priest for the Catholic Church, he quit to have a family, he now is very high in Primary education in charge of 105 first, primary and middle schools. My mam is a headteacher, this combination of parents means that I get holidays and small luxuries, I hope to go on and be successful.
NK53 TKT (Jack)

24 Nov 2015, 9:43 pm #15
(23 Nov 2015, 8:39 pm)DanPicken I've been interested in buses/metro/trains since I was around 3, it started by spelling Metro stations out. I would always like riding the Metro as in the 2000's there was a wide variation of liveries so I would always love seeing a new one, however being so young I had trouble opening the doors as they were the black buttons which alot of others struggled with (not the ones on 4001/2). My oldest bus memories are of the 527/8 etc when the South Tyneside Network all started with 5 similar to Consett/Stanley with 7 I can remember the Driver Training Nationals, just. I can remember the Eclipses when new and having SPD's going around after the major changes of around 2006/7 where the 5 prefix went and the 87-9 came around along with the 27/A. When the 27/A were streamlined into an every 10 minute 27 with 8242-55/60, which is my first memory of the Cadets as 8274/5 also turned up on the 87's for a while before 2009 when the Marshall Capitals arrived and 8274/5 went to the 61 (Does anyone know where they went?). I also remember the Compasses on the 544.

Dan
I have had a similar time like you aswell.
Versas are appauling
NK53 TKT
24 Nov 2015, 9:43 pm #15

(23 Nov 2015, 8:39 pm)DanPicken I've been interested in buses/metro/trains since I was around 3, it started by spelling Metro stations out. I would always like riding the Metro as in the 2000's there was a wide variation of liveries so I would always love seeing a new one, however being so young I had trouble opening the doors as they were the black buttons which alot of others struggled with (not the ones on 4001/2). My oldest bus memories are of the 527/8 etc when the South Tyneside Network all started with 5 similar to Consett/Stanley with 7 I can remember the Driver Training Nationals, just. I can remember the Eclipses when new and having SPD's going around after the major changes of around 2006/7 where the 5 prefix went and the 87-9 came around along with the 27/A. When the 27/A were streamlined into an every 10 minute 27 with 8242-55/60, which is my first memory of the Cadets as 8274/5 also turned up on the 87's for a while before 2009 when the Marshall Capitals arrived and 8274/5 went to the 61 (Does anyone know where they went?). I also remember the Compasses on the 544.

Dan
I have had a similar time like you aswell.
Versas are appauling

Jamie M

Unregistered

06 Dec 2015, 12:35 am #16
I've left this thread become stale to see if there are any further replies. I've learned a fair amount from the community already, on top of prior knowledge. As perviously stated I use the network of transport to satisfy my urge of exploration, and to satisfy my hobby, if you will. Already amazed where 3.75 and 6 hours can get you, and I see it taking a lot more of my saturdays up. I'm normally served by X30/X31/X70/X71, which has now become a custom to omnidekkas and omnicities, which I'm alreadu getting a little bored of. I like to mainly make up my journeys as I go along, although I sometimes revert to a plan if I'm short of time. It brings joy to me, and I hope I can reflect some of it on the forums Smile
Jamie M
06 Dec 2015, 12:35 am #16

I've left this thread become stale to see if there are any further replies. I've learned a fair amount from the community already, on top of prior knowledge. As perviously stated I use the network of transport to satisfy my urge of exploration, and to satisfy my hobby, if you will. Already amazed where 3.75 and 6 hours can get you, and I see it taking a lot more of my saturdays up. I'm normally served by X30/X31/X70/X71, which has now become a custom to omnidekkas and omnicities, which I'm alreadu getting a little bored of. I like to mainly make up my journeys as I go along, although I sometimes revert to a plan if I'm short of time. It brings joy to me, and I hope I can reflect some of it on the forums Smile

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average