Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Other Operators Tyne & Wear Independents Gateshead Central Taxis

Gateshead Central Taxis

Gateshead Central Taxis

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (117) Previous 186 87 88117 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

23 May 2021, 10:31 am #1,721
(20 May 2021, 11:23 am)Chris 1 Do Gateshead Central operate anything commercially?  I'm not sure they've ever taken a stab at operating anything commercially.  Their whole MO seems to me to be contracted services with the guaranteed income.  Presumably with costs nailed firmly down judging by comments elsewhere about vehicle/driver/ticket machine shortages.  Attempting to muscle in commercially certainly wouldn't be cheap.  Unlikely to happen imo.

They do, albeit just a few journeys which are effectively light runs. The 939A and 99A, for example, are not secured by Nexus. Gateshead Central Taxis run these (empty) commercially, on the basis they'd run that way anyway.

In other news, Nexus put out a tender to provide extra journeys on service 333 this summer. The contract sees journeys provided on Sundays and Bank Holidays from 30 May to 30 August, with a minimum requirement for a capacity of 60 (including standees) and emissions no lower than Euro 5. Despite not having any vehicles in their fleet of this specification, Gateshead Central Taxis won this contract. I would imagine it'll likely be sub-contracted to L&B Travel, using Rural Link's ex-GNE Scania L94.

Revised timetable here: https://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/f...300521.pdf
Dan
23 May 2021, 10:31 am #1,721

(20 May 2021, 11:23 am)Chris 1 Do Gateshead Central operate anything commercially?  I'm not sure they've ever taken a stab at operating anything commercially.  Their whole MO seems to me to be contracted services with the guaranteed income.  Presumably with costs nailed firmly down judging by comments elsewhere about vehicle/driver/ticket machine shortages.  Attempting to muscle in commercially certainly wouldn't be cheap.  Unlikely to happen imo.

They do, albeit just a few journeys which are effectively light runs. The 939A and 99A, for example, are not secured by Nexus. Gateshead Central Taxis run these (empty) commercially, on the basis they'd run that way anyway.

In other news, Nexus put out a tender to provide extra journeys on service 333 this summer. The contract sees journeys provided on Sundays and Bank Holidays from 30 May to 30 August, with a minimum requirement for a capacity of 60 (including standees) and emissions no lower than Euro 5. Despite not having any vehicles in their fleet of this specification, Gateshead Central Taxis won this contract. I would imagine it'll likely be sub-contracted to L&B Travel, using Rural Link's ex-GNE Scania L94.

Michael

23 May 2021, 10:42 am #1,722
(23 May 2021, 10:31 am)Dan They do, albeit just a few journeys which are effectively light runs. The 939A and 99A, for example, are not secured by Nexus. Gateshead Central Taxis run these (empty) commercially, on the basis they'd run that way anyway.

Makes you wonder if the owner of Gateshead Central Taxi's has something over NEXUS, as they seem to be winning everything... even if they don't have the buses for the contracts....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
23 May 2021, 10:42 am #1,722

(23 May 2021, 10:31 am)Dan They do, albeit just a few journeys which are effectively light runs. The 939A and 99A, for example, are not secured by Nexus. Gateshead Central Taxis run these (empty) commercially, on the basis they'd run that way anyway.

Makes you wonder if the owner of Gateshead Central Taxi's has something over NEXUS, as they seem to be winning everything... even if they don't have the buses for the contracts....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

23 May 2021, 10:58 am #1,723
(23 May 2021, 10:42 am)Michael Makes you wonder if the owner of Gateshead Central Taxi's has something over NEXUS, as they seem to be winning everything... even if they don't have the buses for the contracts....

Not defending GCT at all, but there's many a contract been won without the actual vehicles being in situ. Not just in the NE, but across the UK.
Smaller contracts or even those which are larger.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
23 May 2021, 10:58 am #1,723

(23 May 2021, 10:42 am)Michael Makes you wonder if the owner of Gateshead Central Taxi's has something over NEXUS, as they seem to be winning everything... even if they don't have the buses for the contracts....

Not defending GCT at all, but there's many a contract been won without the actual vehicles being in situ. Not just in the NE, but across the UK.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

V514DFT

23 May 2021, 11:07 am #1,724
Im starting to think that too Michael

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
23 May 2021, 11:07 am #1,724

Im starting to think that too Michael

Kind Regards
Tez

Dan

Site Administrator

23 May 2021, 11:18 am #1,725
(23 May 2021, 10:58 am)Andreos1 Not defending GCT at all, but there's many a contract been won without the actual vehicles being in situ. Not just in the NE, but across the UK.

For most other contracts I'd suggest the same, but not this one.

I would be very surprised if Gateshead Central Taxis had any intention of procuring two buses (including a spare - as none of their other fleet would meet contract specification) to run this short-term contract, especially as they provided a cheaper price than a large number of other bidders (some of whom, you'd imagine, would definitely have vehicles of this specification readily available on a Sunday).
Dan
23 May 2021, 11:18 am #1,725

(23 May 2021, 10:58 am)Andreos1 Not defending GCT at all, but there's many a contract been won without the actual vehicles being in situ. Not just in the NE, but across the UK.

For most other contracts I'd suggest the same, but not this one.

I would be very surprised if Gateshead Central Taxis had any intention of procuring two buses (including a spare - as none of their other fleet would meet contract specification) to run this short-term contract, especially as they provided a cheaper price than a large number of other bidders (some of whom, you'd imagine, would definitely have vehicles of this specification readily available on a Sunday).

23 May 2021, 12:55 pm #1,726
The fact is GCT will win contracts from nexus. They won't provide buses. They will get sent to L&B. Give it time probably in a year. GCT will win nearly every public contracts ran by other companies. 392 by Henry Coppers 92 by A Line probably more but I can't think of any oh yea the 33 by GNE. The 46 by Arriva. It goes to show nexus will hand GCT the contracts and there is nothing we can do about it. The thing it if people want to stop these contracts took over. Make the services have more passengers. You know Nexus will do something when they find out if the 333 didn't run. Oh I could see GCT hit with a big No No by Vosa and Nexus. That service is vital to the Ferry. If that doesn't run. We'll yea. Wonder how that would appear to GCT
Micheal Aaron
23 May 2021, 12:55 pm #1,726

The fact is GCT will win contracts from nexus. They won't provide buses. They will get sent to L&B. Give it time probably in a year. GCT will win nearly every public contracts ran by other companies. 392 by Henry Coppers 92 by A Line probably more but I can't think of any oh yea the 33 by GNE. The 46 by Arriva. It goes to show nexus will hand GCT the contracts and there is nothing we can do about it. The thing it if people want to stop these contracts took over. Make the services have more passengers. You know Nexus will do something when they find out if the 333 didn't run. Oh I could see GCT hit with a big No No by Vosa and Nexus. That service is vital to the Ferry. If that doesn't run. We'll yea. Wonder how that would appear to GCT

23 May 2021, 2:54 pm #1,727
Speaking of not running services, someone commented on a photo of SK67 FMY on the GCT Enthusiasts Group on Facebook that the 941 they operate didn’t turn up last Monday. The person who commented reported it to Nexus.

Also I was at Team Valley last Monday to get a photo of the one A-line Coaches Versa I needed (YJ14 BHN) and GCT’s LN20 OPO was parked in front of it. No driver in sight when rain was pelting down and this was 5 minutes before they were due to depart. Luckily there was no one waiting or they would’ve got drenched.

Bunch of cowboys.

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
23 May 2021, 2:54 pm #1,727

Speaking of not running services, someone commented on a photo of SK67 FMY on the GCT Enthusiasts Group on Facebook that the 941 they operate didn’t turn up last Monday. The person who commented reported it to Nexus.

Also I was at Team Valley last Monday to get a photo of the one A-line Coaches Versa I needed (YJ14 BHN) and GCT’s LN20 OPO was parked in front of it. No driver in sight when rain was pelting down and this was 5 minutes before they were due to depart. Luckily there was no one waiting or they would’ve got drenched.

Bunch of cowboys.

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk

GuyParkRoyal

23 May 2021, 3:59 pm #1,728

Does SK67FMY not meet the contractual requirements with 37 seated and 23 standing.
GuyParkRoyal
23 May 2021, 3:59 pm #1,728

Does SK67FMY not meet the contractual requirements with 37 seated and 23 standing.

Dan

Site Administrator

23 May 2021, 4:24 pm #1,729
(23 May 2021, 3:59 pm)GuyParkRoyal Does SK67FMY not meet the contractual requirements with 37 seated and 23 standing.

If it’s 37 seats and 23 standing, then that would add up to 60 so yes it does. Unusual for a vehicle of such small length to have so many standees but that seemed like a confident rhetorical question to make a point, so I will assume you’re correct.

I understand similar vehicle SL16YPE has now been withdrawn from service and is being stripped for spare parts. Does SK19EYH also meet contract specification (I note it has four fewer seats), or will Gateshead Central Taxis run the contract without a spare vehicle which complies with the contractual requirements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
23 May 2021, 4:24 pm #1,729

(23 May 2021, 3:59 pm)GuyParkRoyal Does SK67FMY not meet the contractual requirements with 37 seated and 23 standing.

If it’s 37 seats and 23 standing, then that would add up to 60 so yes it does. Unusual for a vehicle of such small length to have so many standees but that seemed like a confident rhetorical question to make a point, so I will assume you’re correct.

I understand similar vehicle SL16YPE has now been withdrawn from service and is being stripped for spare parts. Does SK19EYH also meet contract specification (I note it has four fewer seats), or will Gateshead Central Taxis run the contract without a spare vehicle which complies with the contractual requirements?

Rob44

24 May 2021, 3:14 pm #1,730
(23 May 2021, 12:55 pm)Micheal Aaron The fact is GCT will win contracts from nexus. They won't provide buses. They will get sent to L&B. Give it time probably in a year. GCT will win nearly every public contracts ran by other companies. 392 by Henry Coppers 92 by A Line probably more but I can't think of any oh yea the 33 by GNE. The 46 by Arriva. It goes to show nexus will hand GCT the contracts and there is nothing we can do about it. The thing it if people want to stop these contracts took over. Make the services have more passengers. You know Nexus will do something when they find out if the 333 didn't run. Oh I could see GCT hit with a big No No by Vosa and Nexus. That service is vital to the Ferry. If that doesn't run. We'll yea. Wonder how that would appear to GCT

I would think arriva would do a GNE and take the 46 commercially rather that let any ( are there any??) nexus secured running of the 46 off them.
Rob44
24 May 2021, 3:14 pm #1,730

(23 May 2021, 12:55 pm)Micheal Aaron The fact is GCT will win contracts from nexus. They won't provide buses. They will get sent to L&B. Give it time probably in a year. GCT will win nearly every public contracts ran by other companies. 392 by Henry Coppers 92 by A Line probably more but I can't think of any oh yea the 33 by GNE. The 46 by Arriva. It goes to show nexus will hand GCT the contracts and there is nothing we can do about it. The thing it if people want to stop these contracts took over. Make the services have more passengers. You know Nexus will do something when they find out if the 333 didn't run. Oh I could see GCT hit with a big No No by Vosa and Nexus. That service is vital to the Ferry. If that doesn't run. We'll yea. Wonder how that would appear to GCT

I would think arriva would do a GNE and take the 46 commercially rather that let any ( are there any??) nexus secured running of the 46 off them.

24 May 2021, 3:54 pm #1,731
(24 May 2021, 3:14 pm)Rob44 I would think arriva would do a GNE and take the 46 commercially rather that let any ( are there any??) nexus secured running of the 46 off them.
The fact any service that barely has passengers will or are owned by nexus will go to GCT. Give it in a year. Companies like A Line and Henry Coppers amongst others. Lose work due to gct. Bloody hell I wouldn't be surprised GCT will win a metro replacement contract. We all know how fun that will be
Micheal Aaron
24 May 2021, 3:54 pm #1,731

(24 May 2021, 3:14 pm)Rob44 I would think arriva would do a GNE and take the 46 commercially rather that let any ( are there any??) nexus secured running of the 46 off them.
The fact any service that barely has passengers will or are owned by nexus will go to GCT. Give it in a year. Companies like A Line and Henry Coppers amongst others. Lose work due to gct. Bloody hell I wouldn't be surprised GCT will win a metro replacement contract. We all know how fun that will be

Rob44

24 May 2021, 3:59 pm #1,732
(24 May 2021, 3:54 pm)Micheal Aaron The fact any service that barely has passengers will or are owned by nexus will go to GCT. Give it in a year. Companies like A Line and Henry Coppers amongst others. Lose work due to gct. Bloody hell I wouldn't be surprised GCT will win a metro replacement contract. We all know how fun that will be

That is a bit of a sweeping statement!  There are plenty of commercial services that don't carry full loads which have nothing to do with nexus!  Take the GNE 29 service... Dan has mentioned it on here and it was common knowledge that GCT tried to win the secured contract to run it all day but when GNE realised they decided to run the entire service commercially ( except first run of the day) and before the Covid it seemed to be success full!!
Rob44
24 May 2021, 3:59 pm #1,732

(24 May 2021, 3:54 pm)Micheal Aaron The fact any service that barely has passengers will or are owned by nexus will go to GCT. Give it in a year. Companies like A Line and Henry Coppers amongst others. Lose work due to gct. Bloody hell I wouldn't be surprised GCT will win a metro replacement contract. We all know how fun that will be

That is a bit of a sweeping statement!  There are plenty of commercial services that don't carry full loads which have nothing to do with nexus!  Take the GNE 29 service... Dan has mentioned it on here and it was common knowledge that GCT tried to win the secured contract to run it all day but when GNE realised they decided to run the entire service commercially ( except first run of the day) and before the Covid it seemed to be success full!!

GuyParkRoyal

24 May 2021, 4:31 pm #1,733
(23 May 2021, 4:24 pm)Dan If it’s 37 seats and 23 standing, then that would add up to 60 so yes it does. Unusual for a vehicle of such small length to have so many standees but that seemed like a confident rhetorical question to make a point, so I will assume you’re correct.

SK19EYH also meets (and exceeds) the contractual requirements for the summer Sunday 333 Ferry Bus. The capacity information as provided by the manufacturer at the front of the vehicle is 33 seated and 34 standing or 27 seated and 49 standing.
GuyParkRoyal
24 May 2021, 4:31 pm #1,733

(23 May 2021, 4:24 pm)Dan If it’s 37 seats and 23 standing, then that would add up to 60 so yes it does. Unusual for a vehicle of such small length to have so many standees but that seemed like a confident rhetorical question to make a point, so I will assume you’re correct.

SK19EYH also meets (and exceeds) the contractual requirements for the summer Sunday 333 Ferry Bus. The capacity information as provided by the manufacturer at the front of the vehicle is 33 seated and 34 standing or 27 seated and 49 standing.

24 May 2021, 4:32 pm #1,734
(24 May 2021, 3:59 pm)Rob44 That is a bit of a sweeping statement!  There are plenty of commercial services that don't carry full loads which have nothing to do with nexus!  Take the GNE 29 service... Dan has mentioned it on here and it was common knowledge that GCT tried to win the secured contract to run it all day but when GNE realised they decided to run the entire service commercially ( except first run of the day) and before the Covid it seemed to be success full!!
I guarantee GCT win the 33 contract in Newcastle next year. They seem to be winning contracts left right and centre. GCT this year have already won the SNS (for some reason) the 79/79A the 6 552 and 553. And were only at the end of May
Micheal Aaron
24 May 2021, 4:32 pm #1,734

(24 May 2021, 3:59 pm)Rob44 That is a bit of a sweeping statement!  There are plenty of commercial services that don't carry full loads which have nothing to do with nexus!  Take the GNE 29 service... Dan has mentioned it on here and it was common knowledge that GCT tried to win the secured contract to run it all day but when GNE realised they decided to run the entire service commercially ( except first run of the day) and before the Covid it seemed to be success full!!
I guarantee GCT win the 33 contract in Newcastle next year. They seem to be winning contracts left right and centre. GCT this year have already won the SNS (for some reason) the 79/79A the 6 552 and 553. And were only at the end of May

24 May 2021, 7:00 pm #1,735
(Feel free to move if in wrong place)
How do the contracted services work in terms of funding, awarding, etc...?
Are taxibuses subjected to different stipulations?

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
24 May 2021, 7:00 pm #1,735

(Feel free to move if in wrong place)
How do the contracted services work in terms of funding, awarding, etc...?
Are taxibuses subjected to different stipulations?

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

Chris 1

25 May 2021, 11:50 am #1,736
Broadly, the tendering authority sets the specification (e.g capacity, emissions standards etc), frequency, fares, route, duration etc.  Operators then bid and the authority chooses Gateshead Central.....  Up here, it seems these days that cheapest bid wins.  Or the most economically advantageous bid.  Not sure what weighting quality has.  Funding will generally either be the operator gets paid x amount per mile/bus hour and the authority keeps the revenue, though in some cases the operator may get a cut of the revenue.
Chris 1
25 May 2021, 11:50 am #1,736

Broadly, the tendering authority sets the specification (e.g capacity, emissions standards etc), frequency, fares, route, duration etc.  Operators then bid and the authority chooses Gateshead Central.....  Up here, it seems these days that cheapest bid wins.  Or the most economically advantageous bid.  Not sure what weighting quality has.  Funding will generally either be the operator gets paid x amount per mile/bus hour and the authority keeps the revenue, though in some cases the operator may get a cut of the revenue.

27 May 2021, 2:29 pm #1,737
GCT have a white 21 plate Fiat Ducato / Mellor on loan. Saw it on R1 earlier, hoping to get reg details if the driver continues to terminus. (Unlikely)

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
27 May 2021, 2:29 pm #1,737

GCT have a white 21 plate Fiat Ducato / Mellor on loan. Saw it on R1 earlier, hoping to get reg details if the driver continues to terminus. (Unlikely)

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

27 May 2021, 3:27 pm #1,738
(27 May 2021, 2:29 pm)Rapidsnap GCT have a white 21 plate Fiat Ducato / Mellor on loan. Saw it on R1 earlier, hoping to get reg details if the driver continues to terminus. (Unlikely)

Is YN68 PBY with GCT? That's a plain white MMC.
OrangeArrow49
27 May 2021, 3:27 pm #1,738

(27 May 2021, 2:29 pm)Rapidsnap GCT have a white 21 plate Fiat Ducato / Mellor on loan. Saw it on R1 earlier, hoping to get reg details if the driver continues to terminus. (Unlikely)

Is YN68 PBY with GCT? That's a plain white MMC.

27 May 2021, 5:31 pm #1,739
Guess what, the R1 didn't complete it's journey to the Clara Vale Terminus this afternoon on the last run of the day.

Rapidsnap
27 May 2021, 5:31 pm #1,739

Guess what, the R1 didn't complete it's journey to the Clara Vale Terminus this afternoon on the last run of the day.

30 May 2021, 8:31 am #1,740
YX21 (Don't know the rest sorry) is on the 42A today
Micheal Aaron
30 May 2021, 8:31 am #1,740

YX21 (Don't know the rest sorry) is on the 42A today

Pages (117) Previous 186 87 88117 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average