Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events The future of rallies in the North East

The future of rallies in the North East

The future of rallies in the North East

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (6) Previous 13 4 5 6 Next
Malarkey

17 Aug 2016, 8:50 pm #61
I suggested Herrington Country Park in Sunderland as a future rally venue on one of Facebook Groups after the MetroCentre Rally, easy access from both the A1 and A19.
Malarkey
17 Aug 2016, 8:50 pm #61

I suggested Herrington Country Park in Sunderland as a future rally venue on one of Facebook Groups after the MetroCentre Rally, easy access from both the A1 and A19.

Andreos1

17 Aug 2016, 9:01 pm #62
(17 Aug 2016, 8:50 pm)Malarkey I suggested Herrington Country Park in Sunderland as a future rally venue on one of Facebook Groups after the MetroCentre Rally, easy access from both the A1 and A19.

And Lambton! Angel

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
17 Aug 2016, 9:01 pm #62

(17 Aug 2016, 8:50 pm)Malarkey I suggested Herrington Country Park in Sunderland as a future rally venue on one of Facebook Groups after the MetroCentre Rally, easy access from both the A1 and A19.

And Lambton! Angel

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Malarkey

17 Aug 2016, 9:08 pm #63
(17 Aug 2016, 9:01 pm)Andreos1 And Lambton! Angel

Whey Aye we will have it on Lambton Primary School Field.
Malarkey
17 Aug 2016, 9:08 pm #63

(17 Aug 2016, 9:01 pm)Andreos1 And Lambton! Angel

Whey Aye we will have it on Lambton Primary School Field.

BusLoverMum

18 Aug 2016, 7:12 pm #64

So long as it doesn't rain. Sunderland Steam Fair was called off last year because it was waterlogged.
BusLoverMum
18 Aug 2016, 7:12 pm #64

So long as it doesn't rain. Sunderland Steam Fair was called off last year because it was waterlogged.

Adrian

18 Aug 2016, 7:25 pm #65
Mind, whilst I think the talk of a 'super' rally is a good thing, I do think that there's an immediate piece of work of work that needs undertaking, in order to improve the viability of the events we currently have. Growing the Metrocentre and Durham for a start.

I know it was suggested earlier that people can make suggestions to the organisers, but my stance remains; it won't happen until the groups are more inclusive and that people know how to make suggestions. I do hope that happens, and I'm sure that this site would be more than happy to support input on such work.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
18 Aug 2016, 7:25 pm #65

Mind, whilst I think the talk of a 'super' rally is a good thing, I do think that there's an immediate piece of work of work that needs undertaking, in order to improve the viability of the events we currently have. Growing the Metrocentre and Durham for a start.

I know it was suggested earlier that people can make suggestions to the organisers, but my stance remains; it won't happen until the groups are more inclusive and that people know how to make suggestions. I do hope that happens, and I'm sure that this site would be more than happy to support input on such work.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

20 Aug 2016, 6:45 am #66
(18 Aug 2016, 7:25 pm)Adrian Mind, whilst I think the talk of a 'super' rally is a good thing, I do think that there's an immediate piece of work of work that needs undertaking, in order to improve the viability of the events we currently have. Growing the Metrocentre and Durham for a start.

This is the problem. Most of the Groups who own preserved buses in the North East have A mutual understanding of one another. But they wont work with one another. The Northern National Restoration Group has A fantastic relationship with the County Durham Bus Preservation Group. This is because all the major players in the groups have known one another for years now. If we do decide to pool our resources and put on some kind of event I would expect that we would get it right.

What we do need is the support of local counsels and organizations to help us set up A venue that is suitable to our needs. This will attract people to it. I believe that the future of bus rally's in the North East is secure but we do need fresh input from people. Not just in organizing these events but into the organizations themselves. Take the NEBPT and the 500 group.. Do you see anyone under 30 among them who is actively involved?

I know that the NNRG actively encourage people to come and see us. That to me is the right way to do things. We are building the group to eventually achieve charity status. We are also planning to get A larger building.
When this happens perhaps we could hold events in this and have open days? I am approaching this as we have approached our restorations so far. To me the sky is the limit.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.
Craig Smith
20 Aug 2016, 6:45 am #66

(18 Aug 2016, 7:25 pm)Adrian Mind, whilst I think the talk of a 'super' rally is a good thing, I do think that there's an immediate piece of work of work that needs undertaking, in order to improve the viability of the events we currently have. Growing the Metrocentre and Durham for a start.

This is the problem. Most of the Groups who own preserved buses in the North East have A mutual understanding of one another. But they wont work with one another. The Northern National Restoration Group has A fantastic relationship with the County Durham Bus Preservation Group. This is because all the major players in the groups have known one another for years now. If we do decide to pool our resources and put on some kind of event I would expect that we would get it right.

What we do need is the support of local counsels and organizations to help us set up A venue that is suitable to our needs. This will attract people to it. I believe that the future of bus rally's in the North East is secure but we do need fresh input from people. Not just in organizing these events but into the organizations themselves. Take the NEBPT and the 500 group.. Do you see anyone under 30 among them who is actively involved?

I know that the NNRG actively encourage people to come and see us. That to me is the right way to do things. We are building the group to eventually achieve charity status. We are also planning to get A larger building.
When this happens perhaps we could hold events in this and have open days? I am approaching this as we have approached our restorations so far. To me the sky is the limit.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.

Charles41

20 Aug 2016, 8:57 am #67
(20 Aug 2016, 6:45 am)Craig Smith This is the problem. Most of the Groups who own preserved buses in the North East have A mutual understanding of one another. But they wont work with one another. The Northern National Restoration Group has A fantastic relationship with the County Durham Bus Preservation Group. This is because all the major players in the groups have known one another for years now. If we do decide to pool our resources and put on some kind of event I would expect that we would get it right.

I agree there is a need for new blood in certain restoration groups. To give an example if you look at the ages of the NEBPG's trustees, the youngest is 43 and the eldest 69. That's an average of 56 years old. However I also feel certain groups lack a willingness to engage with younger enthusiasts and do not embrace the benefits of multimedia technology.

Young people are the future of the preservationist movement and if certain groups do not make efforts to encourage their participation then they are only storing up trouble for the future. I remember going on an enthusiasts bus trip to Sandtoft Trolley Bus Museum on an Go Ahead MCW Metrobus when I was about 14. That would have been around 1988-1989. How great it would be if enthusiasts in the North East could organise a similar trip today and take active and/or preserved buses to rallies elsewhere,  

Its the Seaburn Rally next Monday, I'm just wondering will there be a printed rally guide and timetable attendees can purchase? The NEBPT website shows there are some interesting vehicles attending. If we had a timetable stating which buses were operating specific journeys then it would allow enthusiasts and members of the public to plan their day out. The proceeds of guide sales could be a good source of income for the NEBPT.

Charles
Edited 20 Aug 2016, 8:59 am by Charles41.
Charles41
20 Aug 2016, 8:57 am #67

(20 Aug 2016, 6:45 am)Craig Smith This is the problem. Most of the Groups who own preserved buses in the North East have A mutual understanding of one another. But they wont work with one another. The Northern National Restoration Group has A fantastic relationship with the County Durham Bus Preservation Group. This is because all the major players in the groups have known one another for years now. If we do decide to pool our resources and put on some kind of event I would expect that we would get it right.

I agree there is a need for new blood in certain restoration groups. To give an example if you look at the ages of the NEBPG's trustees, the youngest is 43 and the eldest 69. That's an average of 56 years old. However I also feel certain groups lack a willingness to engage with younger enthusiasts and do not embrace the benefits of multimedia technology.

Young people are the future of the preservationist movement and if certain groups do not make efforts to encourage their participation then they are only storing up trouble for the future. I remember going on an enthusiasts bus trip to Sandtoft Trolley Bus Museum on an Go Ahead MCW Metrobus when I was about 14. That would have been around 1988-1989. How great it would be if enthusiasts in the North East could organise a similar trip today and take active and/or preserved buses to rallies elsewhere,  

Its the Seaburn Rally next Monday, I'm just wondering will there be a printed rally guide and timetable attendees can purchase? The NEBPT website shows there are some interesting vehicles attending. If we had a timetable stating which buses were operating specific journeys then it would allow enthusiasts and members of the public to plan their day out. The proceeds of guide sales could be a good source of income for the NEBPT.

Charles

LeeCalder

15 Nov 2016, 9:45 am #68
A couple of people are posting on Facebook that the MetroCentre Rally is to be no more.
LeeCalder
15 Nov 2016, 9:45 am #68

A couple of people are posting on Facebook that the MetroCentre Rally is to be no more.

15 Nov 2016, 9:46 am #69
There's rumours going around on Facebook that Intu no longer wants to hire the Metrocentre Coach Park for events, thus ending the annual rally that took place at the location.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
15 Nov 2016, 9:46 am #69

There's rumours going around on Facebook that Intu no longer wants to hire the Metrocentre Coach Park for events, thus ending the annual rally that took place at the location.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Jimmi

15 Nov 2016, 9:48 am #70
(15 Nov 2016, 9:45 am)LeeCalder A couple of people are posting on Facebook that the MetroCentre Rally is to be no more.
It's now going to be called "The Go North East Bus & Coach Show"

Or at least that's what people would have you believe that the last two or so years have been...
Jimmi
15 Nov 2016, 9:48 am #70

(15 Nov 2016, 9:45 am)LeeCalder A couple of people are posting on Facebook that the MetroCentre Rally is to be no more.
It's now going to be called "The Go North East Bus & Coach Show"

Or at least that's what people would have you believe that the last two or so years have been...

LeeCalder

15 Nov 2016, 10:58 am #71
(15 Nov 2016, 9:48 am)Jimmi It's now going to be called "The Go North East Bus & Coach Show"

At least they turn up and give everyone something to look at..... it's not all about preservationists! I'm sure you agree......
LeeCalder
15 Nov 2016, 10:58 am #71

(15 Nov 2016, 9:48 am)Jimmi It's now going to be called "The Go North East Bus & Coach Show"

At least they turn up and give everyone something to look at..... it's not all about preservationists! I'm sure you agree......

Jimmi

15 Nov 2016, 11:12 am #72
(15 Nov 2016, 10:58 am)LeeCalder At least they turn up and give everyone something to look at..... it's not all about preservationists! I'm sure you agree......
I feel this events downfall has been because of the large GNE presence, whilst half are happy about this, the other half ain't and I've heard a few preservationists say this year that they won't attend the MetroCentre Rally for this reason. This I feel causes a divide and has an impact on the atmosphere IMO.
Jimmi
15 Nov 2016, 11:12 am #72

(15 Nov 2016, 10:58 am)LeeCalder At least they turn up and give everyone something to look at..... it's not all about preservationists! I'm sure you agree......
I feel this events downfall has been because of the large GNE presence, whilst half are happy about this, the other half ain't and I've heard a few preservationists say this year that they won't attend the MetroCentre Rally for this reason. This I feel causes a divide and has an impact on the atmosphere IMO.

15 Nov 2016, 11:51 am #73

The Metrocentre management no longer wish to use the coach park for events, but the Trust have been seeking alternative locations. 
North East Festival of Transport still one to look out for in the last weekend of July.
Edited 15 Nov 2016, 11:53 am by RBZ 5459.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

RBZ 5459
15 Nov 2016, 11:51 am #73

The Metrocentre management no longer wish to use the coach park for events, but the Trust have been seeking alternative locations. 
North East Festival of Transport still one to look out for in the last weekend of July.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

jack

15 Nov 2016, 5:43 pm #74
(15 Nov 2016, 11:12 am)Jimmi I feel this events downfall has been because of the large GNE presence, whilst half are happy about this, the other half ain't and I've heard a few preservationists say this year that they won't attend the MetroCentre Rally for this reason. This I feel causes a divide and has an impact on the atmosphere IMO.

be good if stagecoach took something for this years rally along with the pride and joy that is arriva who bring the best and most buses there
jack
15 Nov 2016, 5:43 pm #74

(15 Nov 2016, 11:12 am)Jimmi I feel this events downfall has been because of the large GNE presence, whilst half are happy about this, the other half ain't and I've heard a few preservationists say this year that they won't attend the MetroCentre Rally for this reason. This I feel causes a divide and has an impact on the atmosphere IMO.

be good if stagecoach took something for this years rally along with the pride and joy that is arriva who bring the best and most buses there

jack

15 Nov 2016, 5:45 pm #75
(15 Nov 2016, 11:51 am)RBZ 5459 The Metrocentre management no longer wish to use the coach park for events, but the Trust have been seeking alternative locations. 
its not fare it should be at the metrocentre or somewhere close to that this is why i dont like the metrocentre because of bad decisions made by  the intu shopping group limited
jack
15 Nov 2016, 5:45 pm #75

(15 Nov 2016, 11:51 am)RBZ 5459 The Metrocentre management no longer wish to use the coach park for events, but the Trust have been seeking alternative locations. 
its not fare it should be at the metrocentre or somewhere close to that this is why i dont like the metrocentre because of bad decisions made by  the intu shopping group limited

jack

15 Nov 2016, 5:46 pm #76
i hope the rally will stay at metrocentre because thats the best rally of the year in my opinion
jack
15 Nov 2016, 5:46 pm #76

i hope the rally will stay at metrocentre because thats the best rally of the year in my opinion

Jimmi

15 Nov 2016, 6:33 pm #77
(15 Nov 2016, 5:45 pm)jack its not fare it should be at the metrocentre or somewhere close to that this is why i dont like the metrocentre because of bad decisions made by  the intu shopping group limited
Problem is though, May Bank Holiday Weekend is often a busy shopping weekend, so if a coach trip want to head to the MetroCentre, where would you park a coach if the coach park is closed off for a event?

Dread to think where the event could take place but apparently the rally is going to happen on April 30th, venue TBA.
Jimmi
15 Nov 2016, 6:33 pm #77

(15 Nov 2016, 5:45 pm)jack its not fare it should be at the metrocentre or somewhere close to that this is why i dont like the metrocentre because of bad decisions made by  the intu shopping group limited
Problem is though, May Bank Holiday Weekend is often a busy shopping weekend, so if a coach trip want to head to the MetroCentre, where would you park a coach if the coach park is closed off for a event?

Dread to think where the event could take place but apparently the rally is going to happen on April 30th, venue TBA.

MurdnunoC

15 Nov 2016, 6:41 pm #78
(15 Nov 2016, 6:33 pm)Jimmi Problem is though, May Bank Holiday Weekend is often a busy shopping weekend, so if a coach trip want to head to the MetroCentre, where would you park a coach if the coach park is closed off for a event?

The main reason why this is all happening is because Intu want to use the car-parking facilities at the Coach Park for staff in order to free up parking elsewhere around the Metrocentre. The more observant among you may have noticed that it has been renamed to something like 'Metrocentre Staff and Coach Park'.
MurdnunoC
15 Nov 2016, 6:41 pm #78

(15 Nov 2016, 6:33 pm)Jimmi Problem is though, May Bank Holiday Weekend is often a busy shopping weekend, so if a coach trip want to head to the MetroCentre, where would you park a coach if the coach park is closed off for a event?

The main reason why this is all happening is because Intu want to use the car-parking facilities at the Coach Park for staff in order to free up parking elsewhere around the Metrocentre. The more observant among you may have noticed that it has been renamed to something like 'Metrocentre Staff and Coach Park'.

Michael

15 Nov 2016, 6:46 pm #79
(15 Nov 2016, 6:41 pm)MurdnunoC The main reason why this is all happening is because Intu want to use the car-parking facilities at the Coach Park for staff in order to free up parking elsewhere around the Metrocentre. The more observant among you may have noticed that it has been renamed to something like 'Metrocentre Staff and Coach Park'.

Which is a fair point from them, they need the space, shame the road etc won't be re-tarmacked and have new lines etc, like the multi-story car park.
Edited 15 Nov 2016, 6:55 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
15 Nov 2016, 6:46 pm #79

(15 Nov 2016, 6:41 pm)MurdnunoC The main reason why this is all happening is because Intu want to use the car-parking facilities at the Coach Park for staff in order to free up parking elsewhere around the Metrocentre. The more observant among you may have noticed that it has been renamed to something like 'Metrocentre Staff and Coach Park'.

Which is a fair point from them, they need the space, shame the road etc won't be re-tarmacked and have new lines etc, like the multi-story car park.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

S813 FVK

15 Nov 2016, 6:50 pm #80

From what i can remember, don't they leave some space towards the bottom so coaches can still park? If so, it isn't really a problem.
S813 FVK
15 Nov 2016, 6:50 pm #80

From what i can remember, don't they leave some space towards the bottom so coaches can still park? If so, it isn't really a problem.

Pages (6) Previous 13 4 5 6 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average