Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events The future of rallies in the North East

The future of rallies in the North East

The future of rallies in the North East

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (6) Previous 14 5 6 Next
MurdnunoC

15 Nov 2016, 6:50 pm #81
(15 Nov 2016, 6:46 pm)Michael Which is a fair point from them, they need the space, shame the road etc won't be re-tarmacked and new lines etc, like the multi-story car park.

Yup. It's a gutter for me too as I usually park there whenever I went to Metrocentre - with the recent signs which have went up, I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to park there at all now.
MurdnunoC
15 Nov 2016, 6:50 pm #81

(15 Nov 2016, 6:46 pm)Michael Which is a fair point from them, they need the space, shame the road etc won't be re-tarmacked and new lines etc, like the multi-story car park.

Yup. It's a gutter for me too as I usually park there whenever I went to Metrocentre - with the recent signs which have went up, I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to park there at all now.

Adrian

15 Nov 2016, 9:08 pm #82
(15 Nov 2016, 11:51 am)RBZ 5459 The Metrocentre management no longer wish to use the coach park for events, but the Trust have been seeking alternative locations. 
North East Festival of Transport still one to look out for in the last weekend of July.

Do you know if the latter is in place of the Seaburn rally? Or is it an additional event for the calendar? 

Quite looking forward to it, but it would be strange going back a month later for another rally. I would not be surprised to see Whitley Bay dropped either.

(15 Nov 2016, 5:45 pm)jack its not fare it should be at the metrocentre or somewhere close to that this is why i dont like the metrocentre because of bad decisions made by  the intu shopping group limited

Unfortunately it's their land, and they can do what they like with it. I like the Metrocentre too, but you can't force someone to allow you to hold a free event.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
15 Nov 2016, 9:08 pm #82

(15 Nov 2016, 11:51 am)RBZ 5459 The Metrocentre management no longer wish to use the coach park for events, but the Trust have been seeking alternative locations. 
North East Festival of Transport still one to look out for in the last weekend of July.

Do you know if the latter is in place of the Seaburn rally? Or is it an additional event for the calendar? 

Quite looking forward to it, but it would be strange going back a month later for another rally. I would not be surprised to see Whitley Bay dropped either.

(15 Nov 2016, 5:45 pm)jack its not fare it should be at the metrocentre or somewhere close to that this is why i dont like the metrocentre because of bad decisions made by  the intu shopping group limited

Unfortunately it's their land, and they can do what they like with it. I like the Metrocentre too, but you can't force someone to allow you to hold a free event.

Ambassador

15 Nov 2016, 10:04 pm #83
That car park has been the official staff car park since the Centre opened in the 80s, they've just stuck a sign up because intu are dishing out PCNs to overstaying staff cars in the 'public' car parks and now they are trying the 'friendlier' approach.

At the end of the day, intu are a very successful retail landowner. Their business is shopping and leisure, not bus preservation. The decision isn't a bad one, it's the right one for them and their customers. With all due respect, enthusiasts ain't a group they want anywhere near their brand.

Perhaps GNE could hole a mini preservation type event in the location at Riverside?

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
15 Nov 2016, 10:04 pm #83

That car park has been the official staff car park since the Centre opened in the 80s, they've just stuck a sign up because intu are dishing out PCNs to overstaying staff cars in the 'public' car parks and now they are trying the 'friendlier' approach.

At the end of the day, intu are a very successful retail landowner. Their business is shopping and leisure, not bus preservation. The decision isn't a bad one, it's the right one for them and their customers. With all due respect, enthusiasts ain't a group they want anywhere near their brand.

Perhaps GNE could hole a mini preservation type event in the location at Riverside?

Michael

15 Nov 2016, 10:13 pm #84
(15 Nov 2016, 10:04 pm)Ambassador That car park has been the official staff car park since the Centre opened in the 80s, they've just stuck a sign up because intu are dishing out PCNs to overstaying staff cars in the 'public' car parks and now they are trying the 'friendlier' approach.

I agree with all the above.

Would be good for GNE to host it.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
15 Nov 2016, 10:13 pm #84

(15 Nov 2016, 10:04 pm)Ambassador That car park has been the official staff car park since the Centre opened in the 80s, they've just stuck a sign up because intu are dishing out PCNs to overstaying staff cars in the 'public' car parks and now they are trying the 'friendlier' approach.

I agree with all the above.

Would be good for GNE to host it.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

15 Nov 2016, 10:37 pm #85

That is quite a stereotype to apply there mind...

Adrian
15 Nov 2016, 10:37 pm #85

That is quite a stereotype to apply there mind...

BusLoverMum

15 Nov 2016, 10:47 pm #86
(15 Nov 2016, 10:37 pm)Adrian That is quite a stereotype to apply there mind...

Quite - some of us will happily visit the event then go and pay over the odds for crap and chips that takes an hour to arrive at one of the restaurants in the qube.
BusLoverMum
15 Nov 2016, 10:47 pm #86

Quite - some of us will happily visit the event then go and pay over the odds for crap and chips that takes an hour to arrive at one of the restaurants in the qube.

Ambassador

15 Nov 2016, 10:58 pm #87

But if we're brutally honest, one that intu and most will follow.

Either way, if it was making intu decent money, it'd be going ahead

Ambassador
15 Nov 2016, 10:58 pm #87

But if we're brutally honest, one that intu and most will follow.

Either way, if it was making intu decent money, it'd be going ahead

BusLoverMum

15 Nov 2016, 11:05 pm #88
I think, we all agreed, after last year's near misses, that it's a dire location for the trips out which make rally worth it for so many, anyhow.
BusLoverMum
15 Nov 2016, 11:05 pm #88

I think, we all agreed, after last year's near misses, that it's a dire location for the trips out which make rally worth it for so many, anyhow.

Jimmi

15 Nov 2016, 11:29 pm #89
Hopefully the change of venue doesn't have a negative impact on the rally in various senses such as attendees and atmosphere. Should be intresting to see where the event takes place.

Saying about Go North East holding a event, perhaps they could do a family fun day at Riverside again like they did this year, I didn't go but it certainly seemed to be a popular event.
Jimmi
15 Nov 2016, 11:29 pm #89

Hopefully the change of venue doesn't have a negative impact on the rally in various senses such as attendees and atmosphere. Should be intresting to see where the event takes place.

Saying about Go North East holding a event, perhaps they could do a family fun day at Riverside again like they did this year, I didn't go but it certainly seemed to be a popular event.

16 Nov 2016, 1:37 am #90
(15 Nov 2016, 5:46 pm)jack i hope the rally will stay at metrocentre because thats the best rally of the year in my opinion

IMO I feel that the 500 group running day is the best bus rally / event in the North East, it's certain the one I enjoy the most and look forward to.

I did notice on Faceache that there will be an alternative venue. Having a little think about this, I thought of possible locations.
  • Metro Arena - Though Low Bridges around the area could be too risky
  • Team Valley - There is or was some hard standing at the North End of the industrial area that has been used for funfairs, not sure if the land is still available.
  • Great Park, Park and Ride Site - Tarmac Area with easy access from the A1, no facilities though.
  • Gateshead Stadium - Though I believe parking isn't so good these day
  • Gosforth Park / Newcastle Racecourse - Mainly grassed areas and could involve vehicles getting a bit stuck.
  • Spillars Wharf
These are just my ideas which I just want to throw out there.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
16 Nov 2016, 1:37 am #90

(15 Nov 2016, 5:46 pm)jack i hope the rally will stay at metrocentre because thats the best rally of the year in my opinion

IMO I feel that the 500 group running day is the best bus rally / event in the North East, it's certain the one I enjoy the most and look forward to.

I did notice on Faceache that there will be an alternative venue. Having a little think about this, I thought of possible locations.
  • Metro Arena - Though Low Bridges around the area could be too risky
  • Team Valley - There is or was some hard standing at the North End of the industrial area that has been used for funfairs, not sure if the land is still available.
  • Great Park, Park and Ride Site - Tarmac Area with easy access from the A1, no facilities though.
  • Gateshead Stadium - Though I believe parking isn't so good these day
  • Gosforth Park / Newcastle Racecourse - Mainly grassed areas and could involve vehicles getting a bit stuck.
  • Spillars Wharf
These are just my ideas which I just want to throw out there.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

16 Nov 2016, 12:18 pm #91
(15 Nov 2016, 9:08 pm)Adrian Do you know if the latter is in place of the Seaburn rally? Or is it an additional event for the calendar? 

Nothing has been mentioned publicly by the NEBPT about the 2017 calendar as far as I'm aware, apart from the 'Metrocentre'.

I always feel the Whitley Bay one could be combined with the Classic Car Show The Links has in September, as a joint event like how Seaburn is. But they are organised by different groups I suppose - with the Whitley Bay car show entirely North Tyneside Council's doing. We (THV) were invited to the Classic Car Show again this year via the Trust and took Atlantean 290, they had buses on the concrete (like the rally) but with cars on grass areas. I think many people are put off by the NEBPT Whitley Bay Rally by the fact that there will be fewer bus attendees.
Edited 16 Nov 2016, 12:18 pm by RBZ 5459.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

RBZ 5459
16 Nov 2016, 12:18 pm #91

(15 Nov 2016, 9:08 pm)Adrian Do you know if the latter is in place of the Seaburn rally? Or is it an additional event for the calendar? 

Nothing has been mentioned publicly by the NEBPT about the 2017 calendar as far as I'm aware, apart from the 'Metrocentre'.

I always feel the Whitley Bay one could be combined with the Classic Car Show The Links has in September, as a joint event like how Seaburn is. But they are organised by different groups I suppose - with the Whitley Bay car show entirely North Tyneside Council's doing. We (THV) were invited to the Classic Car Show again this year via the Trust and took Atlantean 290, they had buses on the concrete (like the rally) but with cars on grass areas. I think many people are put off by the NEBPT Whitley Bay Rally by the fact that there will be fewer bus attendees.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

Jimmi

16 Nov 2016, 12:31 pm #92
(16 Nov 2016, 12:18 pm)RBZ 5459 Nothing has been mentioned publicly by the NEBPT about the 2017 calendar as far as I'm aware, apart from the 'Metrocentre'.

That probably is the contributing factor for putting people off, I think another is the location, just in the sense that unless you live reasonably local, it can be a bit of a trek and a pain to get to especially on a Sunday. It's much the same story for the rally at Shildon Locomotion, just about all the people I saw at Shildon this year lived south of Durham with the odd person from Teesside as well.
Jimmi
16 Nov 2016, 12:31 pm #92

(16 Nov 2016, 12:18 pm)RBZ 5459 Nothing has been mentioned publicly by the NEBPT about the 2017 calendar as far as I'm aware, apart from the 'Metrocentre'.

That probably is the contributing factor for putting people off, I think another is the location, just in the sense that unless you live reasonably local, it can be a bit of a trek and a pain to get to especially on a Sunday. It's much the same story for the rally at Shildon Locomotion, just about all the people I saw at Shildon this year lived south of Durham with the odd person from Teesside as well.

16 Nov 2016, 4:01 pm #93
(16 Nov 2016, 12:31 pm)Jimmi That probably is the contributing factor for putting people off, I think another is the location, just in the sense that unless you live reasonably local, it can be a bit of a trek and a pain to get to especially on a Sunday. It's much the same story for the rally at Shildon Locomotion, just about all the people I saw at Shildon this year lived south of Durham with the odd person from Teesside as well.

Yeah that is true. Shildon tends to clash with the Trams and Transport day at NELSAM too.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

RBZ 5459
16 Nov 2016, 4:01 pm #93

(16 Nov 2016, 12:31 pm)Jimmi That probably is the contributing factor for putting people off, I think another is the location, just in the sense that unless you live reasonably local, it can be a bit of a trek and a pain to get to especially on a Sunday. It's much the same story for the rally at Shildon Locomotion, just about all the people I saw at Shildon this year lived south of Durham with the odd person from Teesside as well.

Yeah that is true. Shildon tends to clash with the Trams and Transport day at NELSAM too.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

Andreos1

16 Nov 2016, 10:05 pm #94
(16 Aug 2016, 5:25 pm)Craig Smith I have had the idea of a North East Showbus type even for some time now. The venue would be the key thing to attract people. I know that some groups would come. I am sure I would have the support of the County Durham Bus Preservation Group and the NEBPT. But... The problem is location. Beamish would be A good place but restricted.

The venue would ideally have A hard standing to prevent the mud bath if its wet. Carlisle Airport has been mentioned to me before. Its not that far up the A69 and has loads of room. Its also just off the M6 and that might attract people from further away.  

Like C522LJR has said. We have had 8 buses brake cover this year. Some have been under restoration for years and some have been repainted at huge cost. So it gets me a little bit miffed when people say we have the same old things attending. The build up to each event takes time and effort.

The NNRG will be at Seaburn with 4710 and 4855. Come over and have A better chat with us. You can also look at our restoration photos of 4710 and 4855. We don't shy away from questions.

(20 Aug 2016, 6:45 am)Craig Smith This is the problem. Most of the Groups who own preserved buses in the North East have A mutual understanding of one another. But they wont work with one another. The Northern National Restoration Group has A fantastic relationship with the County Durham Bus Preservation Group. This is because all the major players in the groups have known one another for years now. If we do decide to pool our resources and put on some kind of event I would expect that we would get it right.

What we do need is the support of local counsels and organizations to help us set up A venue that is suitable to our needs. This will attract people to it. I believe that the future of bus rally's in the North East is secure but we do need fresh input from people. Not just in organizing these events but into the organizations themselves. Take the NEBPT and the 500 group.. Do you see anyone under 30 among them who is actively involved?

I know that the NNRG actively encourage people to come and see us. That to me is the right way to do things. We are building the group to eventually achieve charity status. We are also planning to get A larger building.
When this happens perhaps we could hold events in this and have open days? I am approaching this as we have approached our restorations so far. To me the sky is the limit.

I must have missed these posts at the time. The recent reviving of the thread prompted me to read through the conversation and I found these two posts. Some of the points you have made have tied in with some thoughts rattling around for a while now.
It isn't me having a go at all and although everything is meant to be constructive, I will bet a fiver, one or two will take it personally, the wrong way or question what on earth I am talking about.

Rather than highlight specific bits, it's probably easier to reply in one go.

I cant speak for others, but in the post I made about the same vehicles attending (and others),  I have meant every word said about the hard work and dedication put in by yourself and other preservationists.

However, I stand by what I said about the perception of the same vehicles attending.
For years, the public attending these events saw the same vehicles. Some appeared at all the events and some appeared at one or two and vanished for a bit. Once you have seen them at one event, I don't know why people would see them again time after time. Whilst not forgetting all of the dedication and effort put in to the restoration, I gave up going once the initial excitement of seeing a vehicle for the umpteenth time. It wasn't a novelty. 
Maybe it's like someone getting a 'winner'. Once it's ticked off the list, it doesn't hold the same appeal as it had initially.

Despite having my toes in the 'enthusiast scene' (admittedly far less than others), I had no idea until recently about some of the new vehicles that have appeared. From the chats we have had, I would hope you were aware of my interest in older vehicles.
I was gutted to have missed out on the Roe 3469 and despite having the odd neb on various sites, didn't even know it was in the position to be 'put on show'.
Now if an enthusiast interested in vehicles from that era isn't aware, how can the general public be? And that goes back to what I was saying about perception of it being the same old.

To touch on the points about groups knowing each other and there being very few members under the age of 30. Why aren't there members under 30? Why haven't more 'outsiders' got involved? Why isn't membership outside of what I would call a 'pretty tight ship crossed with a closed shop' growing? Why is there a perception (even amongst some enthusiasts) of it being the same old at each event?

There was mention in your post of councils supporting events. 
This isnt me having a go at all - but who from the various bus groups has the skill, ability, tact and ultimately experience in dealing with high level, decision making LA executives? Ditto marketing or understanding of the legislation behind setting up a registered charity.
I can think of members who can drive, members who can fit parts, others who can weld and those who have contacts in the bus industry. From the outside looking in, the expertise and strengths clearly lie in specific areas.

I am of the opinion that the change of venue from the Metrocentre can either make or break the rally and preservation scene.
It is up to the various organisations and people involved, to pull together and come up with something that will assist in the growth and popularity of these events. Ultimately changing whatever perceptions there may be (whether they're right or wrong perceptions) and attracting people from outside the clique, who can help.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
16 Nov 2016, 10:05 pm #94

(16 Aug 2016, 5:25 pm)Craig Smith I have had the idea of a North East Showbus type even for some time now. The venue would be the key thing to attract people. I know that some groups would come. I am sure I would have the support of the County Durham Bus Preservation Group and the NEBPT. But... The problem is location. Beamish would be A good place but restricted.

The venue would ideally have A hard standing to prevent the mud bath if its wet. Carlisle Airport has been mentioned to me before. Its not that far up the A69 and has loads of room. Its also just off the M6 and that might attract people from further away.  

Like C522LJR has said. We have had 8 buses brake cover this year. Some have been under restoration for years and some have been repainted at huge cost. So it gets me a little bit miffed when people say we have the same old things attending. The build up to each event takes time and effort.

The NNRG will be at Seaburn with 4710 and 4855. Come over and have A better chat with us. You can also look at our restoration photos of 4710 and 4855. We don't shy away from questions.

(20 Aug 2016, 6:45 am)Craig Smith This is the problem. Most of the Groups who own preserved buses in the North East have A mutual understanding of one another. But they wont work with one another. The Northern National Restoration Group has A fantastic relationship with the County Durham Bus Preservation Group. This is because all the major players in the groups have known one another for years now. If we do decide to pool our resources and put on some kind of event I would expect that we would get it right.

What we do need is the support of local counsels and organizations to help us set up A venue that is suitable to our needs. This will attract people to it. I believe that the future of bus rally's in the North East is secure but we do need fresh input from people. Not just in organizing these events but into the organizations themselves. Take the NEBPT and the 500 group.. Do you see anyone under 30 among them who is actively involved?

I know that the NNRG actively encourage people to come and see us. That to me is the right way to do things. We are building the group to eventually achieve charity status. We are also planning to get A larger building.
When this happens perhaps we could hold events in this and have open days? I am approaching this as we have approached our restorations so far. To me the sky is the limit.

I must have missed these posts at the time. The recent reviving of the thread prompted me to read through the conversation and I found these two posts. Some of the points you have made have tied in with some thoughts rattling around for a while now.
It isn't me having a go at all and although everything is meant to be constructive, I will bet a fiver, one or two will take it personally, the wrong way or question what on earth I am talking about.

Rather than highlight specific bits, it's probably easier to reply in one go.

I cant speak for others, but in the post I made about the same vehicles attending (and others),  I have meant every word said about the hard work and dedication put in by yourself and other preservationists.

However, I stand by what I said about the perception of the same vehicles attending.
For years, the public attending these events saw the same vehicles. Some appeared at all the events and some appeared at one or two and vanished for a bit. Once you have seen them at one event, I don't know why people would see them again time after time. Whilst not forgetting all of the dedication and effort put in to the restoration, I gave up going once the initial excitement of seeing a vehicle for the umpteenth time. It wasn't a novelty. 
Maybe it's like someone getting a 'winner'. Once it's ticked off the list, it doesn't hold the same appeal as it had initially.

Despite having my toes in the 'enthusiast scene' (admittedly far less than others), I had no idea until recently about some of the new vehicles that have appeared. From the chats we have had, I would hope you were aware of my interest in older vehicles.
I was gutted to have missed out on the Roe 3469 and despite having the odd neb on various sites, didn't even know it was in the position to be 'put on show'.
Now if an enthusiast interested in vehicles from that era isn't aware, how can the general public be? And that goes back to what I was saying about perception of it being the same old.

To touch on the points about groups knowing each other and there being very few members under the age of 30. Why aren't there members under 30? Why haven't more 'outsiders' got involved? Why isn't membership outside of what I would call a 'pretty tight ship crossed with a closed shop' growing? Why is there a perception (even amongst some enthusiasts) of it being the same old at each event?

There was mention in your post of councils supporting events. 
This isnt me having a go at all - but who from the various bus groups has the skill, ability, tact and ultimately experience in dealing with high level, decision making LA executives? Ditto marketing or understanding of the legislation behind setting up a registered charity.
I can think of members who can drive, members who can fit parts, others who can weld and those who have contacts in the bus industry. From the outside looking in, the expertise and strengths clearly lie in specific areas.

I am of the opinion that the change of venue from the Metrocentre can either make or break the rally and preservation scene.
It is up to the various organisations and people involved, to pull together and come up with something that will assist in the growth and popularity of these events. Ultimately changing whatever perceptions there may be (whether they're right or wrong perceptions) and attracting people from outside the clique, who can help.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Malarkey

18 Nov 2016, 10:53 pm #95
What about having a rally on Newcastle Town Moor, perfect size for a North East version of Showbus, same scenario with Herrington Country Park.
Edited 18 Nov 2016, 10:55 pm by Malarkey.
Malarkey
18 Nov 2016, 10:53 pm #95

What about having a rally on Newcastle Town Moor, perfect size for a North East version of Showbus, same scenario with Herrington Country Park.

19 Nov 2016, 10:50 pm #96
(15 Nov 2016, 5:43 pm)jack be good if stagecoach took something for this years rally along with the pride and joy that is arriva who bring the best and most buses there

Most? Surely GNE were the ones who brought the most examples of their fleet along for the past few years.

(15 Nov 2016, 6:50 pm)MurdnunoC Yup. It's a gutter for me too as I usually park there whenever I went to Metrocentre - with the recent signs which have went up, I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to park there at all now.

Won't stop me! Wink

(18 Nov 2016, 10:53 pm)Malarkey What about having a rally on Newcastle Town Moor, perfect size for a North East version of Showbus, same scenario with Herrington Country Park.

If you're on about Showbus 2016, that had most vehicles on concrete. Only trouble is if it rains, it'll be a disaster.
As an aside what sort of suitable access is at Town Moor? I know the Hoppings are there every year but to potentially have car parking (with a constant stream of vehicles in and out) this could cause issues?

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
19 Nov 2016, 10:50 pm #96

(15 Nov 2016, 5:43 pm)jack be good if stagecoach took something for this years rally along with the pride and joy that is arriva who bring the best and most buses there

Most? Surely GNE were the ones who brought the most examples of their fleet along for the past few years.

(15 Nov 2016, 6:50 pm)MurdnunoC Yup. It's a gutter for me too as I usually park there whenever I went to Metrocentre - with the recent signs which have went up, I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to park there at all now.

Won't stop me! Wink

(18 Nov 2016, 10:53 pm)Malarkey What about having a rally on Newcastle Town Moor, perfect size for a North East version of Showbus, same scenario with Herrington Country Park.

If you're on about Showbus 2016, that had most vehicles on concrete. Only trouble is if it rains, it'll be a disaster.
As an aside what sort of suitable access is at Town Moor? I know the Hoppings are there every year but to potentially have car parking (with a constant stream of vehicles in and out) this could cause issues?

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

James101

20 Nov 2016, 1:02 am #97

It's not as if Showbus is the holy grail of bus events, there's much about it that could be improved. The real opportunity here is for a new event which breaks the mould. One with such thorough planning bus owners are confindent in bringing their exhibit down from far and wide. One which combines exhibition and running and one which appeals to enthusiasts and the wider public alike. I'd much rather a scaled up 500 group running day or POPS rally than a Showbus
James101
20 Nov 2016, 1:02 am #97

It's not as if Showbus is the holy grail of bus events, there's much about it that could be improved. The real opportunity here is for a new event which breaks the mould. One with such thorough planning bus owners are confindent in bringing their exhibit down from far and wide. One which combines exhibition and running and one which appeals to enthusiasts and the wider public alike. I'd much rather a scaled up 500 group running day or POPS rally than a Showbus

19 Dec 2016, 8:11 pm #98
Thanks for seeing it from our point of view.

The trouble that we have with people coming into the group is that most people just want to turn up and drive. That's just not going to happen at the NNRG. We rightly run A very tight ship. You have to unfortunately. Or you will have trouble keeping the ship on cores with in fighting. I am not going to go into how the NNRG runs but its very successful. That said we would welcome new members. But they would have to bring something to the Group.

I read that once you have seen A newly preserved bus then after A few times you move onto the next. In the North East you have perhaps 7 groups that own multiple buses. Within those groups you have around 20 people who look after around 45 buses. My point is this.. I would welcome anyone with open arms who knows A Leyland National 2 and Volvo B10BLE as well as I do who could come in and help me crawl around under 4710 and 4855 and keep them on the road.

Unfortunately 98% of people just want to be there for the running days and rally's.

As many as 30 buses are sitting in sheds awaiting restoration in our region. We have one in 4681. But the groups who own them have perhaps only 4 or 5 members who actively restore the buses.  

You are correct in what you say. People must get sick of seeing the same things. But People must understand that this is our hobby. Providing preserved buses at these events around our region. Its not something that we always do. I for one would get sick.

I know that we unveiled 4855 at the Metrocenter this year. We were so wrapped up in getting her and 4710 ready we did not think to tell people that they were coming. But on the NEBPT website there is A rally guide with A list of entry's on it.  

As for the Charity side of it. Only the CDBPG isn't A charity. They are A registered Museum I think. Washington Heritage have and are continuing to help us. The NNRG are actively perusing several projects for next year that will help us gain more members and have open days to welcome more interest in what we do and promote our buses. But again I would welcome any membership. But even with A well publicised campaign on membership we had 3 enquires. 2 of those were "when can I drive 4710"

Within the groups I work closely with is the skill and the drive to put on A first rate event. I am actively involved with the Transport Weekend at Seaburn next July.

The NNRG is A fresh friendly group who welcomes people onto the buses at events. But we are also deadly serious about the preservation of our North East transport heritage.
Edited 19 Dec 2016, 8:12 pm by Craig Smith.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.
Craig Smith
19 Dec 2016, 8:11 pm #98

Thanks for seeing it from our point of view.

The trouble that we have with people coming into the group is that most people just want to turn up and drive. That's just not going to happen at the NNRG. We rightly run A very tight ship. You have to unfortunately. Or you will have trouble keeping the ship on cores with in fighting. I am not going to go into how the NNRG runs but its very successful. That said we would welcome new members. But they would have to bring something to the Group.

I read that once you have seen A newly preserved bus then after A few times you move onto the next. In the North East you have perhaps 7 groups that own multiple buses. Within those groups you have around 20 people who look after around 45 buses. My point is this.. I would welcome anyone with open arms who knows A Leyland National 2 and Volvo B10BLE as well as I do who could come in and help me crawl around under 4710 and 4855 and keep them on the road.

Unfortunately 98% of people just want to be there for the running days and rally's.

As many as 30 buses are sitting in sheds awaiting restoration in our region. We have one in 4681. But the groups who own them have perhaps only 4 or 5 members who actively restore the buses.  

You are correct in what you say. People must get sick of seeing the same things. But People must understand that this is our hobby. Providing preserved buses at these events around our region. Its not something that we always do. I for one would get sick.

I know that we unveiled 4855 at the Metrocenter this year. We were so wrapped up in getting her and 4710 ready we did not think to tell people that they were coming. But on the NEBPT website there is A rally guide with A list of entry's on it.  

As for the Charity side of it. Only the CDBPG isn't A charity. They are A registered Museum I think. Washington Heritage have and are continuing to help us. The NNRG are actively perusing several projects for next year that will help us gain more members and have open days to welcome more interest in what we do and promote our buses. But again I would welcome any membership. But even with A well publicised campaign on membership we had 3 enquires. 2 of those were "when can I drive 4710"

Within the groups I work closely with is the skill and the drive to put on A first rate event. I am actively involved with the Transport Weekend at Seaburn next July.

The NNRG is A fresh friendly group who welcomes people onto the buses at events. But we are also deadly serious about the preservation of our North East transport heritage.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.

Adrian

27 Aug 2018, 5:40 pm #99
Did anyone bother with Seaburn today? I did and to be honest, I wish I hadn't bothered.

Whilst I'd say there were fewer in attendance from previous years, there was a good selection of buses, but there didn't seem to be much going on. Everything parked up tightly together in a bit of a mix and match, which makes it difficult to get any decent photos of stuff standing static. I noticed there were fewer non-PSV in attendance this year too, with more cars than commercial vehicles.

Arriva brought nowt, Stagecoach brought a single gas bus and GNE brought about five buses with them. Six if you include the one they'd sent up from EYMS.

I tried for a couple of bus runs, but this ended up being its usual unorganised chaos. The programme for the rally doesn't include a bus timetable, and there is nobody on hand at either of the stops, so you've no idea what was going on. I tried a run from the Tram stop first, which was supposed to be on the hour. The hour came and went, and about 10 minutes later, Darlington Corporation AHN 451B pulled in. The driver had just pulled up to drop a previous load off, and I don't think was really expecting to take a second load out, but nobody else had turned up for the couple dozen of us standing waiting. So kudos to the driver for taking us out for a run. This is a really nicely preserved bus and one I had never travelled on before, so it was worth the wait.

The second run we tried to wait for was from the usual stop at the top of Seaburn Park. We'd got there about 20 past, and there was already a queue waiting. This stop was timetabled for 00 and 30 past each hour. By quarter to, there was still no sign of the heritage bus, and the queue was backed up right along the street. We decided to just give it a miss and head off at this point. 

Its a bit disappointing that there wasn't a steward around at either stop. They could have given us somewhat of a clue what was going on, or at the very least, they could have left a crystal ball for us instead.

In summary, I'd probably give the event a 2/10. The 2 is generous. I continue to remain baffled at how unorganised our rallies are up here (500 Group's day is the exception to that), compared to anywhere else I've been to in the country. We seem to be too content on having four poor rallies a year, rather than focusing efforts on having one brilliant rally each year.

Adrian
27 Aug 2018, 5:40 pm #99

Did anyone bother with Seaburn today? I did and to be honest, I wish I hadn't bothered.

Whilst I'd say there were fewer in attendance from previous years, there was a good selection of buses, but there didn't seem to be much going on. Everything parked up tightly together in a bit of a mix and match, which makes it difficult to get any decent photos of stuff standing static. I noticed there were fewer non-PSV in attendance this year too, with more cars than commercial vehicles.

Arriva brought nowt, Stagecoach brought a single gas bus and GNE brought about five buses with them. Six if you include the one they'd sent up from EYMS.

I tried for a couple of bus runs, but this ended up being its usual unorganised chaos. The programme for the rally doesn't include a bus timetable, and there is nobody on hand at either of the stops, so you've no idea what was going on. I tried a run from the Tram stop first, which was supposed to be on the hour. The hour came and went, and about 10 minutes later, Darlington Corporation AHN 451B pulled in. The driver had just pulled up to drop a previous load off, and I don't think was really expecting to take a second load out, but nobody else had turned up for the couple dozen of us standing waiting. So kudos to the driver for taking us out for a run. This is a really nicely preserved bus and one I had never travelled on before, so it was worth the wait.

The second run we tried to wait for was from the usual stop at the top of Seaburn Park. We'd got there about 20 past, and there was already a queue waiting. This stop was timetabled for 00 and 30 past each hour. By quarter to, there was still no sign of the heritage bus, and the queue was backed up right along the street. We decided to just give it a miss and head off at this point. 

Its a bit disappointing that there wasn't a steward around at either stop. They could have given us somewhat of a clue what was going on, or at the very least, they could have left a crystal ball for us instead.

In summary, I'd probably give the event a 2/10. The 2 is generous. I continue to remain baffled at how unorganised our rallies are up here (500 Group's day is the exception to that), compared to anywhere else I've been to in the country. We seem to be too content on having four poor rallies a year, rather than focusing efforts on having one brilliant rally each year.

Charles41

27 Aug 2018, 6:11 pm #100
I agree with Adrian about the scheduling for the bus services. I was not aware there was a separate service from the Tram Stop. The lack of anyone to ask was a problem. A guy asked me if l knew what would be on the next service. I checked my rally guide but there was no mention of the heritage bus service. Then two buses turned up together. These were an Atlantean and a LH. There's normally someone directing the buses at the stand. I only stayed at the rally for about an hour or so. I also visited the new David Dove Travel yard in Hendon. They have quite a varied fleet.

Charles
Charles41
27 Aug 2018, 6:11 pm #100

I agree with Adrian about the scheduling for the bus services. I was not aware there was a separate service from the Tram Stop. The lack of anyone to ask was a problem. A guy asked me if l knew what would be on the next service. I checked my rally guide but there was no mention of the heritage bus service. Then two buses turned up together. These were an Atlantean and a LH. There's normally someone directing the buses at the stand. I only stayed at the rally for about an hour or so. I also visited the new David Dove Travel yard in Hendon. They have quite a varied fleet.

Charles

Pages (6) Previous 14 5 6 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average