Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Bus Services Bill

Bus Services Bill

Bus Services Bill

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (10) Previous 18 9 10 Next
James101

28 Oct 2018, 9:06 pm #161
(26 Oct 2018, 8:43 pm)Tamesider I think you slightly misunderstood; I said it was the only route run by either of the two city depots (Hyde Road or Sharston) that has single-deckers specifically allocated. HE is a 100% 'decker. Yes, if only due to congestion issues (and poor service levels on weekend mornings), most services need to be 'decker operated. The one "city" exception is the 38 (Little Hulton-Piccadilly) which would easily get away with 14 seater Mercedes 516s from what I've seen (and heard). Many Stockport and Ashton services are run with single-deckers although again, this can cause problems - albeit less so than in the past as so many people in the districts have deserted buses due to the high fares, declining service levels and more unpredictable delays (compared to inner city roads).

I understood. I wasn't picking examples at random, I lived in Dukinfield for a little bit so had an insight into the area's network. I thought the 168 was a good example of an A-B-C-D route as I don't believe anybody would spend 90 minutes going from Ashton to Chorlton, particularly given this obscure link could easily be made more quickly going via the city centre. 

I had a quick look through the current timetables for the areas I used to live in in GM. Generally most routes had a first service around 07:00 at weekends, much earlier during the week. I'm open to correction, but haven't the Ashton and Stockport locals historically been operated by smaller & single deck buses? Currently E200s; previously B10Ms, Solos, Darts, Nationals and even Mercedes 709Ds all the way back to GM Buses? Regarding fares, I'd point out a Stoke-on-Trent multi operator weekly bus ticket comes in at £19.50 (covering a relatively tiny area), the equivalent in West Yorkshire is £23 and in the West Midlands £31.50(!!). A TFGM bus only system one is just £18. TFGM also provides free town centre circulars in Stockport & Bolton, as well a the revamped 'Free Bus' in the city centre - which I think has been marketed bang on the money as it happens. This is all alongside the Metrolink expansions, which though clearly have impacted corresponding bus corridors, overall wherever Metrolink had been introduced there are now more public transport seats per hour. 

My point is here, though I feel we've moved away from ENCTS, is that PTE areas are generally fairing much better than non PTE area - and I would add that GM is doing particularly fine. Yes, there have been cuts, but only the most minor when compared to similar areas in terms of car ownership and incomes. Relating this back to the Bus Services Bill, I believe this point illustrates the importance of only introducing re-regulation/QCS under the supervision of at PTE - as asking an individual Tory* council to look after your bus services is rather like asking Bernard Mathews to look look after your turkey.  

* - I use Tory as an example as they hold control in Stoke, where I currently live. I've previously lived in Hartlepool, forever controlled by Labour, who were proved even more incompetent as being among the first two councils to remove 100% of bus support way back in 2010. I think the individual leaders of the councils is more relevant than their party alliance when it comes to such matters.
James101
28 Oct 2018, 9:06 pm #161

(26 Oct 2018, 8:43 pm)Tamesider I think you slightly misunderstood; I said it was the only route run by either of the two city depots (Hyde Road or Sharston) that has single-deckers specifically allocated. HE is a 100% 'decker. Yes, if only due to congestion issues (and poor service levels on weekend mornings), most services need to be 'decker operated. The one "city" exception is the 38 (Little Hulton-Piccadilly) which would easily get away with 14 seater Mercedes 516s from what I've seen (and heard). Many Stockport and Ashton services are run with single-deckers although again, this can cause problems - albeit less so than in the past as so many people in the districts have deserted buses due to the high fares, declining service levels and more unpredictable delays (compared to inner city roads).

I understood. I wasn't picking examples at random, I lived in Dukinfield for a little bit so had an insight into the area's network. I thought the 168 was a good example of an A-B-C-D route as I don't believe anybody would spend 90 minutes going from Ashton to Chorlton, particularly given this obscure link could easily be made more quickly going via the city centre. 

I had a quick look through the current timetables for the areas I used to live in in GM. Generally most routes had a first service around 07:00 at weekends, much earlier during the week. I'm open to correction, but haven't the Ashton and Stockport locals historically been operated by smaller & single deck buses? Currently E200s; previously B10Ms, Solos, Darts, Nationals and even Mercedes 709Ds all the way back to GM Buses? Regarding fares, I'd point out a Stoke-on-Trent multi operator weekly bus ticket comes in at £19.50 (covering a relatively tiny area), the equivalent in West Yorkshire is £23 and in the West Midlands £31.50(!!). A TFGM bus only system one is just £18. TFGM also provides free town centre circulars in Stockport & Bolton, as well a the revamped 'Free Bus' in the city centre - which I think has been marketed bang on the money as it happens. This is all alongside the Metrolink expansions, which though clearly have impacted corresponding bus corridors, overall wherever Metrolink had been introduced there are now more public transport seats per hour. 

My point is here, though I feel we've moved away from ENCTS, is that PTE areas are generally fairing much better than non PTE area - and I would add that GM is doing particularly fine. Yes, there have been cuts, but only the most minor when compared to similar areas in terms of car ownership and incomes. Relating this back to the Bus Services Bill, I believe this point illustrates the importance of only introducing re-regulation/QCS under the supervision of at PTE - as asking an individual Tory* council to look after your bus services is rather like asking Bernard Mathews to look look after your turkey.  

* - I use Tory as an example as they hold control in Stoke, where I currently live. I've previously lived in Hartlepool, forever controlled by Labour, who were proved even more incompetent as being among the first two councils to remove 100% of bus support way back in 2010. I think the individual leaders of the councils is more relevant than their party alliance when it comes to such matters.

Tamesider

28 Oct 2018, 10:04 pm #162
(28 Oct 2018, 9:06 pm)James101 I understood. I wasn't picking examples at random, I lived in Dukinfield for a little bit so had an insight into the area's network. I thought the 168 was a good example of an A-B-C-D route as I don't believe anybody would spend 90 minutes going from Ashton to Chorlton, particularly given this obscure link could easily be made more quickly going via the city centre. 

I'm surprised at West Midlands charging so much, given that TWM is the dominant operator and I recently researched a possible trip incorporation Wolverhampton, Walsall, West Brom and into B'ham, suggesting a Day ticket would only be about £4.50. metrolink is (at least) a double-edged sword. Being pedantic I would disagree with it meaning more public transport seats per hour, as trams have awful bum perches, not seats. Also, walking time/distance to tram stops is considerably longer than to bus stops and then there is the cost to the tax-payer (Metrolink debt repayments are TFGM's biggest current expenditure). Returning to fares, the main problem is that Day/week tickets in GM are effectively a flat fare. You pay £4.50 if you travel 20, 30 or 40 miles on Stagecoach services, but you still pay £4.50 if you just need to travel 1.5 miles down the road to the Supermarket, Health Centre or minimum wage part-time job. Further, and this is the real proof of the failure of the "free" (haha) market, is that if you live in a low income, low profile suburb or "overspill" estate, you pay £4.50 for these 3 mile round trips, but if you live in a politically correct, middle income area with planned investment (public and private) you pay £3 for a round trip of up to 12 miles into the city centre - and services have been reduced in the low income areas to resource "bus wars" in the trendy areas, which also means your £4.50 may or may not include a seat (probably not in the evening peak), but the £3 in the latter case buys you half a deck to choose from.

The revamped "Free bus" is effectively a disguised cut in service, with reduced links for those arriving on the periphery of the city by bus. Don't forget rail users get free Metrolink travel anyway. The Stockport MetroShuttle is reasonably successful, but would be more of an "integrated" service if it ran in reverse ie. a quick journey up the hill for rail connections, but I think the road layout in Stockport mitigates against this. The Bolton MetroShuttle is less successful, and I think moving the bus station out of the town centre could eventually be its downfall, as the Indoor Market is on its last legs.

Ashton & Stockport locals have been single deckers for most of the time since 1986 (and before in the case of Stockport). However, before de-reg, most services in Tameside were 'deckers, and had to be at peak times! Bus use in Ashton itself has declined sharply since the depot was closed in 1991, though the real money spinners (330, 347 & 409) still stumble on. The rot in Stockport is much more recent, led by service cuts and amalgamations. Reddish Road especially has been virtually halved since 2008 (and more especially 2015).
Tamesider
28 Oct 2018, 10:04 pm #162

(28 Oct 2018, 9:06 pm)James101 I understood. I wasn't picking examples at random, I lived in Dukinfield for a little bit so had an insight into the area's network. I thought the 168 was a good example of an A-B-C-D route as I don't believe anybody would spend 90 minutes going from Ashton to Chorlton, particularly given this obscure link could easily be made more quickly going via the city centre. 

I'm surprised at West Midlands charging so much, given that TWM is the dominant operator and I recently researched a possible trip incorporation Wolverhampton, Walsall, West Brom and into B'ham, suggesting a Day ticket would only be about £4.50. metrolink is (at least) a double-edged sword. Being pedantic I would disagree with it meaning more public transport seats per hour, as trams have awful bum perches, not seats. Also, walking time/distance to tram stops is considerably longer than to bus stops and then there is the cost to the tax-payer (Metrolink debt repayments are TFGM's biggest current expenditure). Returning to fares, the main problem is that Day/week tickets in GM are effectively a flat fare. You pay £4.50 if you travel 20, 30 or 40 miles on Stagecoach services, but you still pay £4.50 if you just need to travel 1.5 miles down the road to the Supermarket, Health Centre or minimum wage part-time job. Further, and this is the real proof of the failure of the "free" (haha) market, is that if you live in a low income, low profile suburb or "overspill" estate, you pay £4.50 for these 3 mile round trips, but if you live in a politically correct, middle income area with planned investment (public and private) you pay £3 for a round trip of up to 12 miles into the city centre - and services have been reduced in the low income areas to resource "bus wars" in the trendy areas, which also means your £4.50 may or may not include a seat (probably not in the evening peak), but the £3 in the latter case buys you half a deck to choose from.

The revamped "Free bus" is effectively a disguised cut in service, with reduced links for those arriving on the periphery of the city by bus. Don't forget rail users get free Metrolink travel anyway. The Stockport MetroShuttle is reasonably successful, but would be more of an "integrated" service if it ran in reverse ie. a quick journey up the hill for rail connections, but I think the road layout in Stockport mitigates against this. The Bolton MetroShuttle is less successful, and I think moving the bus station out of the town centre could eventually be its downfall, as the Indoor Market is on its last legs.

Ashton & Stockport locals have been single deckers for most of the time since 1986 (and before in the case of Stockport). However, before de-reg, most services in Tameside were 'deckers, and had to be at peak times! Bus use in Ashton itself has declined sharply since the depot was closed in 1991, though the real money spinners (330, 347 & 409) still stumble on. The rot in Stockport is much more recent, led by service cuts and amalgamations. Reddish Road especially has been virtually halved since 2008 (and more especially 2015).

Andreos1

30 Oct 2018, 10:49 am #163
[Image: f36c8ac5-83d9-4ddb-9929-d74048f5aec0]

Live broadcast of Bus User Groups and others regarding current bus market.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
30 Oct 2018, 10:49 am #163

[Image: f36c8ac5-83d9-4ddb-9929-d74048f5aec0]

Live broadcast of Bus User Groups and others regarding current bus market.

James101

31 Oct 2018, 12:18 am #164
(28 Oct 2018, 10:04 pm)Tamesider I'm surprised at West Midlands charging so much, given that TWM is the dominant operator and I recently researched a possible trip incorporation Wolverhampton, Walsall, West Brom and into B'ham, suggesting a Day ticket would only be about £4.50. metrolink is (at least) a double-edged sword. Being pedantic I would disagree with it meaning more public transport seats per hour, as trams have awful bum perches, not seats. Also, walking time/distance to tram stops is considerably longer than to bus stops and then there is the cost to the tax-payer (Metrolink debt repayments are TFGM's biggest current expenditure). Returning to fares, the main problem is that Day/week tickets in GM are effectively a flat fare. You pay £4.50 if you travel 20, 30 or 40 miles on Stagecoach services, but you still pay £4.50 if you just need to travel 1.5 miles down the road to the Supermarket, Health Centre or minimum wage part-time job. Further, and this is the real proof of the failure of the "free" (haha) market, is that if you live in a low income, low profile suburb or "overspill" estate, you pay £4.50 for these 3 mile round trips, but if you live in a politically correct, middle income area with planned investment (public and private) you pay £3 for a round trip of up to 12 miles into the city centre - and services have been reduced in the low income areas to resource "bus wars" in the trendy areas, which also means your £4.50 may or may not include a seat (probably not in the evening peak), but the £3 in the latter case buys you half a deck to choose from.

I'm not convinced Metrolink is a double edge sword in that its costs are roughly equal to its benefits. Financially first, Greater Manchester's council tax averages sit very much in the median of the national tally (Telegraph, 2018) - unless you're referring to something else, I don't see an discernible Metrolink levy imposed on GM residents. What I would assert is GM (and all PTE areas), benefit compared to non PTE areas from cross boundary infrastructure projects and standardised timetable formatting, infrastructure branding, etc. On all the expansions since 'Big Bang', the corresponding bus corridor may have taken a hit, but still maintains a service level of at least every 10 minutes. This provides mode options for those unwilling or unable to walk to the Metrolink stop, potentially further away. There is plenty of evidence (academic papers, readily available online), that passengers are willing to walk almost double the distance to a rail/tram stop over a bus stop.

What you're accurately describing around the effective flat-fare concept and captive markets is the bus market more generally, not a uniquely GM situation, the only potential difference in GM being a £4.50 day ticket will take significantly further than a First Potteries £4.50 day ticket or even a £5.50 Stagecoach Teesside day ticket. What I would pick up on is I'm really not sure of the assertion 'politically correct, middle income areas' are getting cheaper fares for longer journeys? Chorlton is about the same distance from the City as Levenshulme and Reddish about equidistant to the City as Sale. All have about the same service level and cost the same to get to on a Stagecoach bus. 

Are the cuts along Reddish road referring to the 7, 329 etc? Yes, there have been cuts here, but even these services still have a 30 minute headway and Reddish still has far reaching links around GM (I give you the 278; making what could be a 5 mile journey last 2.5 hours). What in the grand scheme of things is an inconvenience to bus passengers in GM by way of reduced headways, amalgamated routes or imposed interchange mid journey - in non PTE areas vast geographical areas are having all service provision withdrawn. 

Just as aside on Free Bus - I understand the revamp is a PVR cut of 7 vehicle but I believe it's the best possible thing that could have been offered in light of the passenger numbers falling off a cliff since 2CC. My only though on the whole thing would perhaps be where routes 1 & 2 effectively form an inner & outer loop, perhaps a single 'figure of 8' running in both directions could have provided 2 way links between main stations.
James101
31 Oct 2018, 12:18 am #164

(28 Oct 2018, 10:04 pm)Tamesider I'm surprised at West Midlands charging so much, given that TWM is the dominant operator and I recently researched a possible trip incorporation Wolverhampton, Walsall, West Brom and into B'ham, suggesting a Day ticket would only be about £4.50. metrolink is (at least) a double-edged sword. Being pedantic I would disagree with it meaning more public transport seats per hour, as trams have awful bum perches, not seats. Also, walking time/distance to tram stops is considerably longer than to bus stops and then there is the cost to the tax-payer (Metrolink debt repayments are TFGM's biggest current expenditure). Returning to fares, the main problem is that Day/week tickets in GM are effectively a flat fare. You pay £4.50 if you travel 20, 30 or 40 miles on Stagecoach services, but you still pay £4.50 if you just need to travel 1.5 miles down the road to the Supermarket, Health Centre or minimum wage part-time job. Further, and this is the real proof of the failure of the "free" (haha) market, is that if you live in a low income, low profile suburb or "overspill" estate, you pay £4.50 for these 3 mile round trips, but if you live in a politically correct, middle income area with planned investment (public and private) you pay £3 for a round trip of up to 12 miles into the city centre - and services have been reduced in the low income areas to resource "bus wars" in the trendy areas, which also means your £4.50 may or may not include a seat (probably not in the evening peak), but the £3 in the latter case buys you half a deck to choose from.

I'm not convinced Metrolink is a double edge sword in that its costs are roughly equal to its benefits. Financially first, Greater Manchester's council tax averages sit very much in the median of the national tally (Telegraph, 2018) - unless you're referring to something else, I don't see an discernible Metrolink levy imposed on GM residents. What I would assert is GM (and all PTE areas), benefit compared to non PTE areas from cross boundary infrastructure projects and standardised timetable formatting, infrastructure branding, etc. On all the expansions since 'Big Bang', the corresponding bus corridor may have taken a hit, but still maintains a service level of at least every 10 minutes. This provides mode options for those unwilling or unable to walk to the Metrolink stop, potentially further away. There is plenty of evidence (academic papers, readily available online), that passengers are willing to walk almost double the distance to a rail/tram stop over a bus stop.

What you're accurately describing around the effective flat-fare concept and captive markets is the bus market more generally, not a uniquely GM situation, the only potential difference in GM being a £4.50 day ticket will take significantly further than a First Potteries £4.50 day ticket or even a £5.50 Stagecoach Teesside day ticket. What I would pick up on is I'm really not sure of the assertion 'politically correct, middle income areas' are getting cheaper fares for longer journeys? Chorlton is about the same distance from the City as Levenshulme and Reddish about equidistant to the City as Sale. All have about the same service level and cost the same to get to on a Stagecoach bus. 

Are the cuts along Reddish road referring to the 7, 329 etc? Yes, there have been cuts here, but even these services still have a 30 minute headway and Reddish still has far reaching links around GM (I give you the 278; making what could be a 5 mile journey last 2.5 hours). What in the grand scheme of things is an inconvenience to bus passengers in GM by way of reduced headways, amalgamated routes or imposed interchange mid journey - in non PTE areas vast geographical areas are having all service provision withdrawn. 

Just as aside on Free Bus - I understand the revamp is a PVR cut of 7 vehicle but I believe it's the best possible thing that could have been offered in light of the passenger numbers falling off a cliff since 2CC. My only though on the whole thing would perhaps be where routes 1 & 2 effectively form an inner & outer loop, perhaps a single 'figure of 8' running in both directions could have provided 2 way links between main stations.

Tamesider

31 Oct 2018, 3:35 pm #165
(31 Oct 2018, 12:18 am)James101 I'm not convinced Metrolink is a double edge sword in that its costs are roughly equal to its benefits. Financially first, Greater Manchester's council tax averages sit very much in the median of the national tally (Telegraph, 2018) - unless you're referring to something else, I don't see an discernible Metrolink levy imposed on GM residents. What I would assert is GM (and all PTE areas), benefit compared to non PTE areas from cross boundary infrastructure projects and standardised timetable formatting, infrastructure branding, etc. On all the expansions since 'Big Bang', the corresponding bus corridor may have taken a hit, but still maintains a service level of at least every 10 minutes. This provides mode options for those unwilling or unable to walk to the Metrolink stop, potentially further away. There is plenty of evidence (academic papers, readily available online), that passengers are willing to walk almost double the distance to a rail/tram stop over a bus stop.

Metrolink debt is purely a TFGM budget matter, not that of the 10 local authorities. It is a legally binding part of TFGM expenditure, just as Pension contributions (which must be reducing rapidly as time goes on) and Concessionary Fares on *buses* (ENCTS). Concessionary fares on rail (heavy and light) are discretionary, but seen as politically expedient. This just leaves subisidised bus services and labour costs available to be targetted for cuts.

A £4.50 ticket may take you considerably further than in the Potteries, but it will take some time to do so. Average scheduled speeds in such as Tameside and Stockport are 6-7 mph in the peak and barely 10 mph off-peak. Nevertheless, the problem with fares  isn't so much with the full time commuter travelling relatively long distances, it is with the 3 day week, zero hours contract workers  and adult shoppers, medical outpatients and surgery visitors paying the same £4.50 for a 2.5 mile round trip to these essential destinations. The fare discrepencies don't include the Manchester areas you refer to - yet! They refer to Wilmslow Road (understandably), the 192, 112/3 and worst of all, the 38. 

I disagree with your comments about "benefits" from infrastructure like Metrolink. You only benefit if you are in a position to use it. It is highly questionable that it has taken many cars off the road or indeed improved the property market. Indeed, I saw a survey a year or two after the Oldham line was built which showed that Failsworth was the only "M" postcode area where property prices had actually fallen! Also, 10 minute services may well have been maintained on the 216 - probably because the tram is slower off-peak than the bus, unless you are travelling beyond Piccadilly/Market Street, but Stagecoach and Arriva have slashed services competing with the Wythenshawe line (18, 104/5/9, 369 all gone and 19 drastically reduced) and First have cut the 58, 24/181/182 and other Oldham area services. Although, it could be argued cutting services for the sake of it is in First's DNA. As for people willing to walk "double" the distance, I assume the survey was largely confined to physically fit under40s and the average walk to tram/rail is considerably more than double. And that's before you take into account the appalling reliability/punctuality of rail compared to bus and the increasingly hostile walking environment. Not sure what you mean by "standard timetable formatting"; Metrolink just runs a glib "every 12 minutes" and heavy Rail runs with wide variations in service gaps and stopping stations, especially at peak times.

The Reddish Road cuts involve ALL services that ran there before 2015; the 203 has slowly been reduced from every 8 minutes to every 11, the 7 & 329 are an amalgam of the old 7, 317 and 374 (reducing the number of buses from 9ph to 4 of which none run direct along Reddish Road into Stockport. The loss of the 317 in turn also reduces the number of buses between Denton and Stockport to 1 ph (was 4 ph when the Trans-Lancs ran).

As for comparing cuts around here to complete withdrawals in rural areas: a. 2 wrongs don't make a right and b. I venture to suggest that there are more carless working age adults in north/east Manchester, Tameside and eastern (ie. east of the A6) Stockport than in an entire Shire county.

Funnily enough, 2CC is not just "an aside", as it must also be abstracting from commercial bus services because of the Rail inclusive fares.
Tamesider
31 Oct 2018, 3:35 pm #165

(31 Oct 2018, 12:18 am)James101 I'm not convinced Metrolink is a double edge sword in that its costs are roughly equal to its benefits. Financially first, Greater Manchester's council tax averages sit very much in the median of the national tally (Telegraph, 2018) - unless you're referring to something else, I don't see an discernible Metrolink levy imposed on GM residents. What I would assert is GM (and all PTE areas), benefit compared to non PTE areas from cross boundary infrastructure projects and standardised timetable formatting, infrastructure branding, etc. On all the expansions since 'Big Bang', the corresponding bus corridor may have taken a hit, but still maintains a service level of at least every 10 minutes. This provides mode options for those unwilling or unable to walk to the Metrolink stop, potentially further away. There is plenty of evidence (academic papers, readily available online), that passengers are willing to walk almost double the distance to a rail/tram stop over a bus stop.

Metrolink debt is purely a TFGM budget matter, not that of the 10 local authorities. It is a legally binding part of TFGM expenditure, just as Pension contributions (which must be reducing rapidly as time goes on) and Concessionary Fares on *buses* (ENCTS). Concessionary fares on rail (heavy and light) are discretionary, but seen as politically expedient. This just leaves subisidised bus services and labour costs available to be targetted for cuts.

A £4.50 ticket may take you considerably further than in the Potteries, but it will take some time to do so. Average scheduled speeds in such as Tameside and Stockport are 6-7 mph in the peak and barely 10 mph off-peak. Nevertheless, the problem with fares  isn't so much with the full time commuter travelling relatively long distances, it is with the 3 day week, zero hours contract workers  and adult shoppers, medical outpatients and surgery visitors paying the same £4.50 for a 2.5 mile round trip to these essential destinations. The fare discrepencies don't include the Manchester areas you refer to - yet! They refer to Wilmslow Road (understandably), the 192, 112/3 and worst of all, the 38. 

I disagree with your comments about "benefits" from infrastructure like Metrolink. You only benefit if you are in a position to use it. It is highly questionable that it has taken many cars off the road or indeed improved the property market. Indeed, I saw a survey a year or two after the Oldham line was built which showed that Failsworth was the only "M" postcode area where property prices had actually fallen! Also, 10 minute services may well have been maintained on the 216 - probably because the tram is slower off-peak than the bus, unless you are travelling beyond Piccadilly/Market Street, but Stagecoach and Arriva have slashed services competing with the Wythenshawe line (18, 104/5/9, 369 all gone and 19 drastically reduced) and First have cut the 58, 24/181/182 and other Oldham area services. Although, it could be argued cutting services for the sake of it is in First's DNA. As for people willing to walk "double" the distance, I assume the survey was largely confined to physically fit under40s and the average walk to tram/rail is considerably more than double. And that's before you take into account the appalling reliability/punctuality of rail compared to bus and the increasingly hostile walking environment. Not sure what you mean by "standard timetable formatting"; Metrolink just runs a glib "every 12 minutes" and heavy Rail runs with wide variations in service gaps and stopping stations, especially at peak times.

The Reddish Road cuts involve ALL services that ran there before 2015; the 203 has slowly been reduced from every 8 minutes to every 11, the 7 & 329 are an amalgam of the old 7, 317 and 374 (reducing the number of buses from 9ph to 4 of which none run direct along Reddish Road into Stockport. The loss of the 317 in turn also reduces the number of buses between Denton and Stockport to 1 ph (was 4 ph when the Trans-Lancs ran).

As for comparing cuts around here to complete withdrawals in rural areas: a. 2 wrongs don't make a right and b. I venture to suggest that there are more carless working age adults in north/east Manchester, Tameside and eastern (ie. east of the A6) Stockport than in an entire Shire county.

Funnily enough, 2CC is not just "an aside", as it must also be abstracting from commercial bus services because of the Rail inclusive fares.

Andreos1

03 Nov 2018, 7:06 pm #166
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...-2019.xlsm

If anyone wants to have a play about, ENCTS calculator.

Andreos1
03 Nov 2018, 7:06 pm #166

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...-2019.xlsm

If anyone wants to have a play about, ENCTS calculator.

Andreos1

07 Nov 2018, 2:13 pm #167
Check out @BetterBusesGM’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/BetterBusesGM/status...50849?s=09

Pressure is mounting.

Andreos1
07 Nov 2018, 2:13 pm #167

Check out @BetterBusesGM’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/BetterBusesGM/status...50849?s=09

Pressure is mounting.

cbma06

07 Nov 2018, 2:34 pm #168
It’s the same as the rail companies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
07 Nov 2018, 2:34 pm #168

It’s the same as the rail companies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andreos1

16 Nov 2018, 4:05 pm #169
Using the bus for an evening on the tiles for 4 of us. Just under £4 each.
Taxi comes to just over £3 each.

Just days after we see the patter about bus priority measures and all that jazz...

There's an extra car journey tonight because it is cheaper (and quicker) than the bus.

Andreos1
16 Nov 2018, 4:05 pm #169

Using the bus for an evening on the tiles for 4 of us. Just under £4 each.

Just days after we see the patter about bus priority measures and all that jazz...

There's an extra car journey tonight because it is cheaper (and quicker) than the bus.

Rob44

16 Nov 2018, 4:24 pm #170
(16 Nov 2018, 4:05 pm)Andreos1 Using the bus for an evening on the tiles for 4 of us. Just under £4 each.

Me and the lads I drink with when 3 or more have always done this.  Sometimes a quid more but picked up at door and dropped off at pub - and in reverse can stay at the pub well after last bus has left!
Rob44
16 Nov 2018, 4:24 pm #170

(16 Nov 2018, 4:05 pm)Andreos1 Using the bus for an evening on the tiles for 4 of us. Just under £4 each.

Me and the lads I drink with when 3 or more have always done this.  Sometimes a quid more but picked up at door and dropped off at pub - and in reverse can stay at the pub well after last bus has left!

Andreos1

16 Nov 2018, 5:38 pm #171
(16 Nov 2018, 4:24 pm)Rob44 Me and the lads I drink with when 3 or more have always done this.  Sometimes a quid more but picked up at door and dropped off at pub - and in reverse can stay at the pub well after last bus has left!

Meant to put this in the 'prices' thread. Suppose this is as good as any.

Yeah, us too. It's often cheaper to do a taxi. Nightbus prices don't tend to make it any less attractive either. 

Just thought it was worth sharing following on from the conversation the other day in the GNE thread.

Andreos1
16 Nov 2018, 5:38 pm #171

(16 Nov 2018, 4:24 pm)Rob44 Me and the lads I drink with when 3 or more have always done this.  Sometimes a quid more but picked up at door and dropped off at pub - and in reverse can stay at the pub well after last bus has left!

Meant to put this in the 'prices' thread. Suppose this is as good as any.

Yeah, us too. It's often cheaper to do a taxi. Nightbus prices don't tend to make it any less attractive either. 

Just thought it was worth sharing following on from the conversation the other day in the GNE thread.

Rob44

16 Nov 2018, 6:11 pm #172
Night buses never seem to go anywhere near where I want to be and im to old to go out on Fridays/Saturdays. I prefer a dink on a Wednesday night, when obviously no night buses anyway.
Rob44
16 Nov 2018, 6:11 pm #172

Night buses never seem to go anywhere near where I want to be and im to old to go out on Fridays/Saturdays. I prefer a dink on a Wednesday night, when obviously no night buses anyway.

Tamesider

16 Nov 2018, 8:29 pm #173

And that's before uber/gett/wambamm really take on the bus industry head on. Flat fare for anything more than 3 miles round trip on Stagecoach Manchester is £4.50 (DaySaver) although they do have a £2 single offer on after 1900. Still £4 each though, and as many services don't "need" the extra patronage, it probably means you don't get a seat for your £2.
Tamesider
16 Nov 2018, 8:29 pm #173

And that's before uber/gett/wambamm really take on the bus industry head on. Flat fare for anything more than 3 miles round trip on Stagecoach Manchester is £4.50 (DaySaver) although they do have a £2 single offer on after 1900. Still £4 each though, and as many services don't "need" the extra patronage, it probably means you don't get a seat for your £2.

Andreos1

17 Nov 2018, 1:22 am #174
(16 Nov 2018, 8:29 pm)Tamesider And that's before uber/gett/wambamm really take on the bus industry head on. Flat fare for anything more than 3 miles round trip on Stagecoach Manchester is £4.50 (DaySaver) although they do have a £2 single offer on after 1900. Still £4 each though, and as many services don't "need" the extra patronage, it probably means you don't get a seat for your £2.

There was debate in the GNE thread about £3 fares versus £2 fares and how the lower amount could attract extra customers.
That example tonight was more than proof that the lower fare would have attracted 4 extra bodies on that particular service.
They would have taken just under £16 had we got the bus and paid their prices.
Basing it purely on the taxi price at £3 p/h, it would have been £12 revenue on the ticket machine.
£12 is better than the £0 they actually recieved.

Andreos1
17 Nov 2018, 1:22 am #174

(16 Nov 2018, 8:29 pm)Tamesider And that's before uber/gett/wambamm really take on the bus industry head on. Flat fare for anything more than 3 miles round trip on Stagecoach Manchester is £4.50 (DaySaver) although they do have a £2 single offer on after 1900. Still £4 each though, and as many services don't "need" the extra patronage, it probably means you don't get a seat for your £2.

There was debate in the GNE thread about £3 fares versus £2 fares and how the lower amount could attract extra customers.
That example tonight was more than proof that the lower fare would have attracted 4 extra bodies on that particular service.
They would have taken just under £16 had we got the bus and paid their prices.
Basing it purely on the taxi price at £3 p/h, it would have been £12 revenue on the ticket machine.
£12 is better than the £0 they actually recieved.

Venturego

26 Nov 2018, 8:02 pm #175
Not sure where this should go (I posted initially on this month's GNE thread)

This was interesting Commons committee on "The Health of The Bus Industry:
Should be available to view for a few days:

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Inde...611fb5aecd

Particularly from 17:39 and 18:33 etc...

Witnesses: Martin Dean, Managing Director, Bus Development, Go-Ahead Group plc, Bill Hiron, Chair, and Malcolm Robson, ALBUM, Alex Hornby, CEO, Trandsdev Blazefield, and Steven Salmon, Director of Policy Development, Confederation of Passenger Transport (UK)
Edited 26 Nov 2018, 8:04 pm by Venturego.
Venturego
26 Nov 2018, 8:02 pm #175

Not sure where this should go (I posted initially on this month's GNE thread)

Witnesses: Martin Dean, Managing Director, Bus Development, Go-Ahead Group plc, Bill Hiron, Chair, and Malcolm Robson, ALBUM, Alex Hornby, CEO, Trandsdev Blazefield, and Steven Salmon, Director of Policy Development, Confederation of Passenger Transport (UK)

Tamesider

26 Nov 2018, 8:32 pm #176
(26 Nov 2018, 8:02 pm)Venturego Not sure where this should go (I posted initially on this month's GNE thread)

Or to put it another way; 5 witnesses for the "defence" and none for the "prosecution". Not exactly balanced.
Tamesider
26 Nov 2018, 8:32 pm #176

(26 Nov 2018, 8:02 pm)Venturego Not sure where this should go (I posted initially on this month's GNE thread)

Or to put it another way; 5 witnesses for the "defence" and none for the "prosecution". Not exactly balanced.

Tamesider

08 Dec 2018, 9:41 pm #177
With Bus Reform in GM stalled (at least at political level) due mainly to Brexit, CleanAir and Rail chaos (oh! the irony!) all taking precedent, does anyone know the timetable of events for the GBF bids, including Stagecoach's bid to put 105 e-buses into the most politically influential parts of GM (Salford, Trafford and south Manchester)?

Incidentally, Stagecoach Manchester Day/Week fares increase by 6.7% from 2nd January. Single fares are unchanged at the moment but based on the usual formula, I would imagine the company will have made projections based on 10% a increase, with a decision to go ahead based on the aforementioned Bus Reform inertia.
Tamesider
08 Dec 2018, 9:41 pm #177

With Bus Reform in GM stalled (at least at political level) due mainly to Brexit, CleanAir and Rail chaos (oh! the irony!) all taking precedent, does anyone know the timetable of events for the GBF bids, including Stagecoach's bid to put 105 e-buses into the most politically influential parts of GM (Salford, Trafford and south Manchester)?

Incidentally, Stagecoach Manchester Day/Week fares increase by 6.7% from 2nd January. Single fares are unchanged at the moment but based on the usual formula, I would imagine the company will have made projections based on 10% a increase, with a decision to go ahead based on the aforementioned Bus Reform inertia.

Andreos1

28 Apr 2019, 7:55 pm #178
No idea which thread is most appropriate. 
This one perhaps? 

https://uk.advfn.com/stock-market/london...u/79501258

An interesting move. More to come?

Andreos1
28 Apr 2019, 7:55 pm #178

No idea which thread is most appropriate. 
This one perhaps? 

Adrian

28 Apr 2019, 8:32 pm #179
(28 Apr 2019, 7:55 pm)Andreos1 No idea which thread is most appropriate. 
This one perhaps? 

I think they've ran this scheme for a number of years, haven't they? Certainly quite common in the private sector.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
28 Apr 2019, 8:32 pm #179

(28 Apr 2019, 7:55 pm)Andreos1 No idea which thread is most appropriate. 
This one perhaps? 

I think they've ran this scheme for a number of years, haven't they? Certainly quite common in the private sector.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Andreos1

28 Apr 2019, 9:32 pm #180
(28 Apr 2019, 8:32 pm)Adrian I think they've ran this scheme for a number of years, haven't they? Certainly quite common in the private sector.

It might be. Never been aware of GAG Trust doing it though. Not to say they havent.

Edit. 

The Trust now holds 155,315 ordinary shares representing 0.3601% of the Company's current voting rights.

Info I've just found from elsewhere. 
Edited 28 Apr 2019, 9:36 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
28 Apr 2019, 9:32 pm #180

(28 Apr 2019, 8:32 pm)Adrian I think they've ran this scheme for a number of years, haven't they? Certainly quite common in the private sector.

It might be. Never been aware of GAG Trust doing it though. Not to say they havent.

Edit. 

The Trust now holds 155,315 ordinary shares representing 0.3601% of the Company's current voting rights.

Info I've just found from elsewhere. 

Pages (10) Previous 18 9 10 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average