Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Stigma

Stigma

Stigma

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Jamie M

Unregistered

29 May 2016, 8:14 pm #1
Hello, this post may become gibberish and hard to follow at times, but here goes.
I started the generalised hobby of bus-taking back in November because it was fun and it gave me an excuse to explore the world, no questions asked. I never got out before, and have learned a lot about the local area recently. I'm a fairly introverted person, and this has caused a few key issues when it comes to photography and the general hobby. I bring up the fact that I went somewhere on a bus to an acquaintance, and I get a dirty look normally as I'm knowledgeable about the network. This isn't a naive high school environment, it's average people. This is the formation of the sense of stigma I have seen around this "hobby". This is created by even people at home and close friends, who don't seem to accept that what I'm doing is by any means 'normal'. It only seems to be accepted by this small community of people I don't really know. This has restricted me to sticking to the shadows at bus events or photography, as it's the last thing I'd want to be seen doing since it wouldn't stand a chance of qualifying as 'normal' to any of these people around me. 

You may be thinking that I have the 'wrong friends', but this is highly untrue. Most are great people, which makes me even more nervous when I'm out and about. Another solution that may come to mind is that I should just ignore what anyone else feels can qualify as normal or not, and mind my own business - but unfortunately, this isn't how I work or how I ever will work.

My overall message is that I want to be comfortable taking pictures of random buses, or even taking the slightest interest - but feel completely restricted by this sense of stigma around being 'different' by doing such activities.

Are any of you folk able to share you personal ideologies/mentalities about how you view this whole 'hobby' and in doing so, participating it? This isn't just linked to photography, but actually being a part of this community on some level. I feel the responses could be pretty trivial to this, but hopefully, it will help to somewhat comfort my own views.
Jamie M
29 May 2016, 8:14 pm #1

Hello, this post may become gibberish and hard to follow at times, but here goes.
I started the generalised hobby of bus-taking back in November because it was fun and it gave me an excuse to explore the world, no questions asked. I never got out before, and have learned a lot about the local area recently. I'm a fairly introverted person, and this has caused a few key issues when it comes to photography and the general hobby. I bring up the fact that I went somewhere on a bus to an acquaintance, and I get a dirty look normally as I'm knowledgeable about the network. This isn't a naive high school environment, it's average people. This is the formation of the sense of stigma I have seen around this "hobby". This is created by even people at home and close friends, who don't seem to accept that what I'm doing is by any means 'normal'. It only seems to be accepted by this small community of people I don't really know. This has restricted me to sticking to the shadows at bus events or photography, as it's the last thing I'd want to be seen doing since it wouldn't stand a chance of qualifying as 'normal' to any of these people around me. 

You may be thinking that I have the 'wrong friends', but this is highly untrue. Most are great people, which makes me even more nervous when I'm out and about. Another solution that may come to mind is that I should just ignore what anyone else feels can qualify as normal or not, and mind my own business - but unfortunately, this isn't how I work or how I ever will work.

My overall message is that I want to be comfortable taking pictures of random buses, or even taking the slightest interest - but feel completely restricted by this sense of stigma around being 'different' by doing such activities.

Are any of you folk able to share you personal ideologies/mentalities about how you view this whole 'hobby' and in doing so, participating it? This isn't just linked to photography, but actually being a part of this community on some level. I feel the responses could be pretty trivial to this, but hopefully, it will help to somewhat comfort my own views.

Adrian

29 May 2016, 8:20 pm #2
I don't disagree with a lot of your points, and I agree that there is a stigma. 

I do think that we (and myself included in this) over-think what others are thinking about our own hobbies. It's no more 'geeky' than people playing Call of Duty or Warcraft online in my opinion.

I've got such a wide spectrum of friends, that I often find I have to keep myself to myself a bit when it comes to interests. There's a few that know what some of my hobbies are, others that know what others are, and so on!

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 May 2016, 8:20 pm #2

I don't disagree with a lot of your points, and I agree that there is a stigma. 

I do think that we (and myself included in this) over-think what others are thinking about our own hobbies. It's no more 'geeky' than people playing Call of Duty or Warcraft online in my opinion.

I've got such a wide spectrum of friends, that I often find I have to keep myself to myself a bit when it comes to interests. There's a few that know what some of my hobbies are, others that know what others are, and so on!

Tom

29 May 2016, 8:22 pm #3
(29 May 2016, 8:14 pm)Jamie M Hello, this post may become gibberish and hard to follow at times, but here goes.

No one knows that I like buses (other than family) because I think everyone no matter who they are would think it's a strange hobby. It's not very often that I take photos or even go on a outing because I normally go out on weekends so it's mainly through the holidays I go to be fair but I honestly have never had a problem but I never take photos where I know people aren't going to be (i.e avoiding town/metrocentre). 

Chances are if you avoid local areas you will not well theres a low chance that you will bump into people Smile
Edited 29 May 2016, 8:23 pm by Tom.
Tom
29 May 2016, 8:22 pm #3

(29 May 2016, 8:14 pm)Jamie M Hello, this post may become gibberish and hard to follow at times, but here goes.

No one knows that I like buses (other than family) because I think everyone no matter who they are would think it's a strange hobby. It's not very often that I take photos or even go on a outing because I normally go out on weekends so it's mainly through the holidays I go to be fair but I honestly have never had a problem but I never take photos where I know people aren't going to be (i.e avoiding town/metrocentre). 

Chances are if you avoid local areas you will not well theres a low chance that you will bump into people Smile

29 May 2016, 8:29 pm #4
(29 May 2016, 8:22 pm)Tom No one knows that I like buses (other than family) because I think everyone no matter who they are would think it's a strange hobby. It's not very often that I take photos or even go on a outing because I normally go out on weekends so it's mainly through the holidays I go to be fair but I honestly have never had a problem but I never take photos where I know people aren't going to be (i.e avoiding town/metrocentre). 

Exactly the same here, At first I was scared to go near Bus Stations ( Which Is what probably started all this " scenic " photograph phase with me )

Same as what Tom Said, Try to get your photos where you know no one you know will be, Example for me would be the Metrocentre, Eldon Square and South Shields Town Centre.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
29 May 2016, 8:29 pm #4

(29 May 2016, 8:22 pm)Tom No one knows that I like buses (other than family) because I think everyone no matter who they are would think it's a strange hobby. It's not very often that I take photos or even go on a outing because I normally go out on weekends so it's mainly through the holidays I go to be fair but I honestly have never had a problem but I never take photos where I know people aren't going to be (i.e avoiding town/metrocentre). 

Exactly the same here, At first I was scared to go near Bus Stations ( Which Is what probably started all this " scenic " photograph phase with me )

Same as what Tom Said, Try to get your photos where you know no one you know will be, Example for me would be the Metrocentre, Eldon Square and South Shields Town Centre.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

Jamie M

Unregistered

29 May 2016, 8:45 pm #5
(29 May 2016, 8:42 pm)R852 PRG You could come from Manchester.

I do... awks.
Thanks all for the input so far, all!
Jamie M
29 May 2016, 8:45 pm #5

(29 May 2016, 8:42 pm)R852 PRG You could come from Manchester.

I do... awks.
Thanks all for the input so far, all!

BusLoverMum

29 May 2016, 8:59 pm #6
I don't think it helps that some people are routinely sniffy about catching any bus anywhere for any reason. A lot of people I know with this POV would be a lot better off putting their prejudice aside and not forking out more than they could afford to keep cars on the road, too.

Big'un's other big interest is coins. They've taken a bit of a back seat (ahem) since he got into buses but that was a much more insular, navel gazing hobby to have. We were quite pleased when he started taking an interest in transport. It's not really an odd hobby to us - I was brought up spending the day trawling round bike and car rallies, so the bus events are no different, really. He doesn't give a flying fig what anyone else thinks. Nobody else's opinion on anything matters to him.

If I stop to take a quick photo when I'm out on my own, I always have the ready excuse of "my son will love this!"

There's worse things than coming from Manchester. Hull anyone?
BusLoverMum
29 May 2016, 8:59 pm #6

I don't think it helps that some people are routinely sniffy about catching any bus anywhere for any reason. A lot of people I know with this POV would be a lot better off putting their prejudice aside and not forking out more than they could afford to keep cars on the road, too.

Big'un's other big interest is coins. They've taken a bit of a back seat (ahem) since he got into buses but that was a much more insular, navel gazing hobby to have. We were quite pleased when he started taking an interest in transport. It's not really an odd hobby to us - I was brought up spending the day trawling round bike and car rallies, so the bus events are no different, really. He doesn't give a flying fig what anyone else thinks. Nobody else's opinion on anything matters to him.

If I stop to take a quick photo when I'm out on my own, I always have the ready excuse of "my son will love this!"

There's worse things than coming from Manchester. Hull anyone?

Adrian

29 May 2016, 9:35 pm #7
(29 May 2016, 8:59 pm)BusLoverMum There's worse things than coming from Manchester. Hull anyone?

Is that right? Tongue

Suppose it's better than being from Sunderland mind!

Adrian
29 May 2016, 9:35 pm #7

(29 May 2016, 8:59 pm)BusLoverMum There's worse things than coming from Manchester. Hull anyone?

Is that right? Tongue

Suppose it's better than being from Sunderland mind!

BusLoverMum

29 May 2016, 10:52 pm #8
Or Peterlee
BusLoverMum
29 May 2016, 10:52 pm #8

Or Peterlee

MVK 500R

29 May 2016, 11:05 pm #9
Or Hartlepool

Sent from my Xperia Z5 Premium
Edited 29 May 2016, 11:06 pm by MVK 500R.
MVK 500R
29 May 2016, 11:05 pm #9

Or Hartlepool

Sent from my Xperia Z5 Premium

Ambassador

29 May 2016, 11:29 pm #10
I'm on our travel advisory group at work so end up with all manner of questions thrown at me from carpool to buses.

I always have the answer (to be fair Google and the many bus apps are your friend here) and the general thing is gratitude followed by bus wanker jokes.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
29 May 2016, 11:29 pm #10

I'm on our travel advisory group at work so end up with all manner of questions thrown at me from carpool to buses.

I always have the answer (to be fair Google and the many bus apps are your friend here) and the general thing is gratitude followed by bus wanker jokes.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Andreos1

30 May 2016, 4:16 pm #11
I think I probably agree with the majority of the points made previously - but would also add a few more.

I appreciate not everyone is in the same boat emotionally or psychologically. Some in the hobby may have specific needs or issues - whether long term or short term.
Either way, those needs or issues can impact in how they feel in different surroundings.
Posts elsewhere in the forum probably demonstrate that and paint the picture in a clear manner.

There are also the cliques that appear and whilst I have no interest in that aspect as far as the hobby goes, it is clear that the desire of some to be in a clique or create one happens on an all to frequent basis.
Just look at all the petty squabbling that has taken place on this forum, never mind elsewhere.

If someone isn't in the clique, they can't camouflage or blend in amongst the group and gain confidence that way.
However if someone doesn't have the confidence to enter a clique - then there is the vicious circle.

All I would say to anyone, is to be yourself and do your own thing. If it isn't the done thing, the 'norm' - so what.
If what is said or done isn't accepted by a clique, so what.
Life goes on and there are many more important things to consider, as opposed tto worrying what anyone else thinks or says.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
30 May 2016, 4:16 pm #11

I think I probably agree with the majority of the points made previously - but would also add a few more.

I appreciate not everyone is in the same boat emotionally or psychologically. Some in the hobby may have specific needs or issues - whether long term or short term.
Either way, those needs or issues can impact in how they feel in different surroundings.
Posts elsewhere in the forum probably demonstrate that and paint the picture in a clear manner.

There are also the cliques that appear and whilst I have no interest in that aspect as far as the hobby goes, it is clear that the desire of some to be in a clique or create one happens on an all to frequent basis.
Just look at all the petty squabbling that has taken place on this forum, never mind elsewhere.

If someone isn't in the clique, they can't camouflage or blend in amongst the group and gain confidence that way.
However if someone doesn't have the confidence to enter a clique - then there is the vicious circle.

All I would say to anyone, is to be yourself and do your own thing. If it isn't the done thing, the 'norm' - so what.
If what is said or done isn't accepted by a clique, so what.
Life goes on and there are many more important things to consider, as opposed tto worrying what anyone else thinks or says.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average