Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Local Bus Events Northern National Restoration Group Running Day 2016

Northern National Restoration Group Running Day 2016

Northern National Restoration Group Running Day 2016

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
Poll: Are you planning to attend this event?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.

Yes
42.86%
Votes 6
No
14.29%
Votes 2
Maybe
42.86%
Votes 6

Total 14 vote(s) 100%
01 Jul 2016, 9:28 am #21
(30 Jun 2016, 7:57 pm)Craig Smith I can assure you that all the GNE rattles have been ironed out of R855 PRG.

Good to know, in which case 4855 should be great! Big Grin
NK53 TKT
01 Jul 2016, 9:28 am #21

(30 Jun 2016, 7:57 pm)Craig Smith I can assure you that all the GNE rattles have been ironed out of R855 PRG.

Good to know, in which case 4855 should be great! Big Grin

Adrian

01 Jul 2016, 5:04 pm #22
If anyone is in two minds about whether or not to head out for this, I'd suggest you go for it!

I missed the first running day the NNRG did, but I done last year's and it was a fantastic day out. We ran a scenic route from Bishop to Barnard Castle and back (via Bowes Museum). NNRG brought National 4710 along, with two other Nationals joining, in the form of YFY4M and WHH556S (REV01). Craig and Ian done a cracking job in organising the day from start to finish, and everyone that came along was made to feel very welcome, which was refreshing! I've no doubt that this year's will be equally as good.

Here's a shot I took at one of the photo stops last year:
[Image: 21037559880_7aef0493ff.jpg]
National Lineup - YFY4M - WHH556S - FTN710W by aureolindn, on Flickr

For those that do go along, could I suggest you consider making a small donation to the NNRG and other preservationists? Smile Whilst I know they'll never ask for anything, it can't be cheap running a bus around for hours on end, so I'm sure anything you can afford will be greatly appreciated.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
01 Jul 2016, 5:04 pm #22

If anyone is in two minds about whether or not to head out for this, I'd suggest you go for it!

I missed the first running day the NNRG did, but I done last year's and it was a fantastic day out. We ran a scenic route from Bishop to Barnard Castle and back (via Bowes Museum). NNRG brought National 4710 along, with two other Nationals joining, in the form of YFY4M and WHH556S (REV01). Craig and Ian done a cracking job in organising the day from start to finish, and everyone that came along was made to feel very welcome, which was refreshing! I've no doubt that this year's will be equally as good.

Here's a shot I took at one of the photo stops last year:
[Image: 21037559880_7aef0493ff.jpg]
National Lineup - YFY4M - WHH556S - FTN710W by aureolindn, on Flickr

For those that do go along, could I suggest you consider making a small donation to the NNRG and other preservationists? Smile Whilst I know they'll never ask for anything, it can't be cheap running a bus around for hours on end, so I'm sure anything you can afford will be greatly appreciated.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

PO51WNF

01 Jul 2016, 11:05 pm #23
(30 Jun 2016, 8:11 pm)South Tyne Lad Ah right, Shame that one lad had to spoil it for everyone.
Will try and get a Adult to take me, If not I will try and roam about myself and get photos of it en route.

Thanks for the info  Smile

No promises but I might be able to help you there, assuming I count as an adult Wink
PO51WNF
01 Jul 2016, 11:05 pm #23

(30 Jun 2016, 8:11 pm)South Tyne Lad Ah right, Shame that one lad had to spoil it for everyone.
Will try and get a Adult to take me, If not I will try and roam about myself and get photos of it en route.

Thanks for the info  Smile

No promises but I might be able to help you there, assuming I count as an adult Wink

01 Jul 2016, 11:27 pm #24
(01 Jul 2016, 11:05 pm)PO51WNF No promises but I might be able to help you there, assuming I count as an adult Wink

You need to get from Halesowen first Matt! on a Sunday Wink

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
01 Jul 2016, 11:27 pm #24

(01 Jul 2016, 11:05 pm)PO51WNF No promises but I might be able to help you there, assuming I count as an adult Wink

You need to get from Halesowen first Matt! on a Sunday Wink

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

02 Jul 2016, 5:23 pm #25
I can confirm that Steve Foster's Leyland National Mk1/Leyland YFY 4M, which is driven by a semi-automatic gearbox and it's original Leyland 510 engine, will be attending this event, meaning three vehicles are currently scheduled.
R852 PRG
02 Jul 2016, 5:23 pm #25

I can confirm that Steve Foster's Leyland National Mk1/Leyland YFY 4M, which is driven by a semi-automatic gearbox and it's original Leyland 510 engine, will be attending this event, meaning three vehicles are currently scheduled.

04 Aug 2016, 12:43 pm #26
Adding a reminder about this running day. Details are available at the start of this thread. It's likely to be the ALX300 from the Workington Transport Heritage Trust (ex-Stagecoach 22805 - X805 SRM, hopefully in Stripes livery by then), but no guarantees I am afraid. Either that or REV01 (Mk1 Leyland National).
R852 PRG
04 Aug 2016, 12:43 pm #26

Adding a reminder about this running day. Details are available at the start of this thread. It's likely to be the ALX300 from the Workington Transport Heritage Trust (ex-Stagecoach 22805 - X805 SRM, hopefully in Stripes livery by then), but no guarantees I am afraid. Either that or REV01 (Mk1 Leyland National).

13 Aug 2016, 11:13 am #27
(30 Jun 2016, 6:48 pm)NK53 TKT I am definitely going, it sounds like it will be great, I dislike renowns but this must not be missed!
Are you able to board at Stanley and alight at Durham?

Hello.

Yes you can do that no problem.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.
Craig Smith
13 Aug 2016, 11:13 am #27

(30 Jun 2016, 6:48 pm)NK53 TKT I am definitely going, it sounds like it will be great, I dislike renowns but this must not be missed!
Are you able to board at Stanley and alight at Durham?

Hello.

Yes you can do that no problem.

Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.

14 Aug 2016, 10:35 am #28
latest news on our road run this year.
I can confirm that YFY 4M and the Workington Transport Heritage Trusts MAN Alexander ALX300 along with our own R855 PRG will take part. Departing from Consett at 12.00.

We have been granted access to Beamish coach park for A photo shoot. Plenty of opportunity for people to change buses on the day.

Craig Smith
14 Aug 2016, 10:35 am #28

latest news on our road run this year.
I can confirm that YFY 4M and the Workington Transport Heritage Trusts MAN Alexander ALX300 along with our own R855 PRG will take part. Departing from Consett at 12.00.

We have been granted access to Beamish coach park for A photo shoot. Plenty of opportunity for people to change buses on the day.

20 Aug 2016, 6:51 am #29
With regret I have to announce that the Workington Transport Heritage Trust wont be attending this years road run. However if enough people come we will bring out FTN710W to compensate. However I must stress that we must not forget the opportunity to travel on YFY4M.

Craig Smith
20 Aug 2016, 6:51 am #29

With regret I have to announce that the Workington Transport Heritage Trust wont be attending this years road run. However if enough people come we will bring out FTN710W to compensate. However I must stress that we must not forget the opportunity to travel on YFY4M.

26 Aug 2016, 3:57 pm #30
Hello. Here is the transport for the road run and what we will be doing.
R855PRG. Ex Go Northern Volvo B10BLE Wright Renown 4855. preserved in Go Northern Easy Access GNE Cooperate Livery YFY4M Ex Southport Leyland National Mk1/1. Preserved in NBC National Welsh livery. FTN710W. Ex Go Northeast Leyland National 2 4710. Preserved in NBC Northern livery.

From Consett we set of at 12.15 heading for Chester LE Street via Annfield Plain, Stanely, Beamish. Then to Durham via Pitty Me. From Durham we will head for Consett via Lanchester. Photo stops are- Beamish Museum coach park, Beamish Village, Chester Le Street Front Street (top 3 stands) Durham milburngate, Lanchester Village green. We will be going into Stanely Bus station but as this is A dangerous place we can only change buses here.

Craig Smith
26 Aug 2016, 3:57 pm #30

Hello. Here is the transport for the road run and what we will be doing.
R855PRG. Ex Go Northern Volvo B10BLE Wright Renown 4855. preserved in Go Northern Easy Access GNE Cooperate Livery YFY4M Ex Southport Leyland National Mk1/1. Preserved in NBC National Welsh livery. FTN710W. Ex Go Northeast Leyland National 2 4710. Preserved in NBC Northern livery.

From Consett we set of at 12.15 heading for Chester LE Street via Annfield Plain, Stanely, Beamish. Then to Durham via Pitty Me. From Durham we will head for Consett via Lanchester. Photo stops are- Beamish Museum coach park, Beamish Village, Chester Le Street Front Street (top 3 stands) Durham milburngate, Lanchester Village green. We will be going into Stanely Bus station but as this is A dangerous place we can only change buses here.

27 Aug 2016, 1:04 am #31
I was going to go to Trans Lancs, but I fancy doing this for a change.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
27 Aug 2016, 1:04 am #31

I was going to go to Trans Lancs, but I fancy doing this for a change.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

31 Aug 2016, 12:58 am #32
Adding a reminder about this event, coming up this Sunday.

Sunday 4th September 2016

Vehicles: Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown R855 PRG; Leyland National Mk2/Leyland FTN 710W; Leyland National Mk1/Leyland YFY 4M

Pick-Up Times*: Consett Bus Station 12:15; Stanley Bus Station 12:50; Chester-le-Street 13:20; Durham Millburngate 13:50.

Departing from Consett Bus Station just after midday, we head to Chester-le-Street, replicating the 775 route (nowadays 78), with the opportunity to change vehicles at Stanley. A photostop will be undertaken in the coach park of Beamish Museum, and then again at Chester-le-Street town centre. The convoy will head onwards to Durham Millburngate, via the A167, Pity Me and Framwellgate Moor, covering the 21 route. Following a stop at Millburngate and the opportunity to change vehicles, the 765 route will then be replicated back to Consett, with another photostop at Lanchester Village Green. The expected time of return to Consett should be no later than 15:00*. 

After a successful running day last year, which covered Bishop Auckland to Barnard Castle and just about everywhere in between, the Northern National Restoration Group have decided to allow enthusiasts the opportunity to travel on their vehicles once more before the end of the 2016 season. I can definitely vouch that the road run last year was spectacular, just about everyone seemed to have a brilliant time, myself included. One of the key morals at the Northern National Restoration Group is to make all feel welcome on board.

Drivers for the day are scheduled to be: Craig Smith, Ian Robinson, Stephen Foster and Daniel Duffy

Now for the technical stuff...

R855 PRG was new to Chester-le-Street in May 1998 and served with Go North East for 17 years before being withdrawn and sold for preservation. Over the winter, it was restored to it's brand new condition in the iconic Red/Blue/Yellow livery with Easy Access vinyls, before making it's debut on the rally scene at the NEBPT Metrocentre Rally back in May. It's been well received on the whole. Powered by a very prominent ZF 5-speed HP500 gearbox, the engine is mechanically sound and structurally, the body is too. 

FTN 710W is seventeen years older than R855 PRG, and came to the Northern National Restoration Group from the NEBPT in 2013. Since then, it has become a recognisable face at the rallies, and at the age of 35, can still pull like a train. New to Philadelphia depot in 1981, under National Bus Company ownership, the vehicle was withdrawn from the fleet in 2006 after spending it's last few years in the Driver Training fleet. In 1991, it's Leyland 680 engine was altered to a repowered Volvo, and it runs with a Voith gearbox. 

YFY 4M is a Liverpudlian by origin, and is owned by Stephen Foster. A Mk1 Leyland National still running on the original 510 engine it had when new, Steve and YFY 4M have had a journey and a half together to say the least. This is one of two Nationals that Steve owns, and I understand his other one, a Mk2, should be on the rally scene next year, all being well.

* While the times are listed and expected time of return are fairly accurate, given the nature of the routes transversed, no promises can be made with regards to the actual times on the day. It must also be made clear that the route is strictly Consett-Stanley-Chester-le-Street-Durham-Consett, and none of the pick-up points aside from Consett will be returned to. Due to an incident last year, nobody under the age of 16 will be permitted travel unless they're in the company of a responsible adult. 

R852 PRG
Edited 31 Aug 2016, 1:00 am by R852 PRG.
R852 PRG
31 Aug 2016, 12:58 am #32

Adding a reminder about this event, coming up this Sunday.

Sunday 4th September 2016

Vehicles: Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown R855 PRG; Leyland National Mk2/Leyland FTN 710W; Leyland National Mk1/Leyland YFY 4M

Pick-Up Times*: Consett Bus Station 12:15; Stanley Bus Station 12:50; Chester-le-Street 13:20; Durham Millburngate 13:50.

Departing from Consett Bus Station just after midday, we head to Chester-le-Street, replicating the 775 route (nowadays 78), with the opportunity to change vehicles at Stanley. A photostop will be undertaken in the coach park of Beamish Museum, and then again at Chester-le-Street town centre. The convoy will head onwards to Durham Millburngate, via the A167, Pity Me and Framwellgate Moor, covering the 21 route. Following a stop at Millburngate and the opportunity to change vehicles, the 765 route will then be replicated back to Consett, with another photostop at Lanchester Village Green. The expected time of return to Consett should be no later than 15:00*. 

After a successful running day last year, which covered Bishop Auckland to Barnard Castle and just about everywhere in between, the Northern National Restoration Group have decided to allow enthusiasts the opportunity to travel on their vehicles once more before the end of the 2016 season. I can definitely vouch that the road run last year was spectacular, just about everyone seemed to have a brilliant time, myself included. One of the key morals at the Northern National Restoration Group is to make all feel welcome on board.

Drivers for the day are scheduled to be: Craig Smith, Ian Robinson, Stephen Foster and Daniel Duffy

Now for the technical stuff...

R855 PRG was new to Chester-le-Street in May 1998 and served with Go North East for 17 years before being withdrawn and sold for preservation. Over the winter, it was restored to it's brand new condition in the iconic Red/Blue/Yellow livery with Easy Access vinyls, before making it's debut on the rally scene at the NEBPT Metrocentre Rally back in May. It's been well received on the whole. Powered by a very prominent ZF 5-speed HP500 gearbox, the engine is mechanically sound and structurally, the body is too. 

FTN 710W is seventeen years older than R855 PRG, and came to the Northern National Restoration Group from the NEBPT in 2013. Since then, it has become a recognisable face at the rallies, and at the age of 35, can still pull like a train. New to Philadelphia depot in 1981, under National Bus Company ownership, the vehicle was withdrawn from the fleet in 2006 after spending it's last few years in the Driver Training fleet. In 1991, it's Leyland 680 engine was altered to a repowered Volvo, and it runs with a Voith gearbox. 

YFY 4M is a Liverpudlian by origin, and is owned by Stephen Foster. A Mk1 Leyland National still running on the original 510 engine it had when new, Steve and YFY 4M have had a journey and a half together to say the least. This is one of two Nationals that Steve owns, and I understand his other one, a Mk2, should be on the rally scene next year, all being well.

* While the times are listed and expected time of return are fairly accurate, given the nature of the routes transversed, no promises can be made with regards to the actual times on the day. It must also be made clear that the route is strictly Consett-Stanley-Chester-le-Street-Durham-Consett, and none of the pick-up points aside from Consett will be returned to. Due to an incident last year, nobody under the age of 16 will be permitted travel unless they're in the company of a responsible adult. 

R852 PRG

01 Sep 2016, 9:37 pm #33
We are brining A very limited amount of sales stuff for the road run. Buses on the day are CONFERMED as Leyland National 8.3 510 powered YFY4M. Leyland National 2 11.6 THD100E powered FTN710W. Volvo B10BLE 11.6 DH10B powered R855PRG.

Drivers on the day are--- Ian Robinson (4855) Stephen Foster (YFY) Craig Smith and Danial Duffy (4710)
Weather isn't forecast to be sunny but this hasn't put us off before. Should still be A good day out.

Craig Smith
01 Sep 2016, 9:37 pm #33

We are brining A very limited amount of sales stuff for the road run. Buses on the day are CONFERMED as Leyland National 8.3 510 powered YFY4M. Leyland National 2 11.6 THD100E powered FTN710W. Volvo B10BLE 11.6 DH10B powered R855PRG.

Drivers on the day are--- Ian Robinson (4855) Stephen Foster (YFY) Craig Smith and Danial Duffy (4710)
Weather isn't forecast to be sunny but this hasn't put us off before. Should still be A good day out.

01 Sep 2016, 10:27 pm #34
Looking forward to it, prob spend most of the time on 4710 (especially down the A167), but will travel the other 2.

Rapidsnap
01 Sep 2016, 10:27 pm #34

Looking forward to it, prob spend most of the time on 4710 (especially down the A167), but will travel the other 2.

Malarkey

03 Sep 2016, 1:11 pm #35
I will be getting on the 10:27am 50 from Lambton to Chester-le-Street, then onto the 10:51am 78 from Chester-le-Street up to Consett for 11:43am. With intention of doing the entire run tomorrow, I am really looking forward and hopefully there will be a good turn out and some decent weather, not that the rain bothers me mind.

Also out of curiosity what sort of things will be on sale, as I have started collecting photos of Go North East Vehicles from years gone by to build an Archive of old things I never got the chance to photograph, and photos of vehicles in Red/Yellow and Blue Livery from when I was a kid.
Malarkey
03 Sep 2016, 1:11 pm #35

I will be getting on the 10:27am 50 from Lambton to Chester-le-Street, then onto the 10:51am 78 from Chester-le-Street up to Consett for 11:43am. With intention of doing the entire run tomorrow, I am really looking forward and hopefully there will be a good turn out and some decent weather, not that the rain bothers me mind.

Also out of curiosity what sort of things will be on sale, as I have started collecting photos of Go North East Vehicles from years gone by to build an Archive of old things I never got the chance to photograph, and photos of vehicles in Red/Yellow and Blue Livery from when I was a kid.

03 Sep 2016, 5:14 pm #36
(03 Sep 2016, 1:11 pm)Malarkey I will be getting on the 10:27am 50 from Lambton to Chester-le-Street, then onto the 10:51am 78 from Chester-le-Street up to Consett for 11:43am. With intention of doing the entire run tomorrow, I am really looking forward and hopefully there will be a good turn out and some decent weather, not that the rain bothers me mind.

The group doesn't really have that many photos of the Red, Blue and Yellow livery, but there are several sets of official company photographs taken at the likes of Beamish Museum of vehicles from the 1980s when brand new. An MCW Metrobus in the 1900s Town is one of them. I'd imagine these will be available to view and purchase.

Who are we expecting tomorrow then?
R852 PRG
03 Sep 2016, 5:14 pm #36

(03 Sep 2016, 1:11 pm)Malarkey I will be getting on the 10:27am 50 from Lambton to Chester-le-Street, then onto the 10:51am 78 from Chester-le-Street up to Consett for 11:43am. With intention of doing the entire run tomorrow, I am really looking forward and hopefully there will be a good turn out and some decent weather, not that the rain bothers me mind.

The group doesn't really have that many photos of the Red, Blue and Yellow livery, but there are several sets of official company photographs taken at the likes of Beamish Museum of vehicles from the 1980s when brand new. An MCW Metrobus in the 1900s Town is one of them. I'd imagine these will be available to view and purchase.

Malarkey

03 Sep 2016, 5:30 pm #37
(03 Sep 2016, 5:14 pm)R852 PRG The group doesn't really have that many photos of the Red, Blue and Yellow livery, but there are several sets of official company photographs taken at the likes of Beamish Museum of vehicles from the 1980s when brand new. An MCW Metrobus in the 1900s Town is one of them. I'd imagine these will be available to view and purchase.

I'll have a look, as there maybe something of interest.
Malarkey
03 Sep 2016, 5:30 pm #37

(03 Sep 2016, 5:14 pm)R852 PRG The group doesn't really have that many photos of the Red, Blue and Yellow livery, but there are several sets of official company photographs taken at the likes of Beamish Museum of vehicles from the 1980s when brand new. An MCW Metrobus in the 1900s Town is one of them. I'd imagine these will be available to view and purchase.

I'll have a look, as there maybe something of interest.

Jimmi

03 Sep 2016, 5:42 pm #38
Went to the one last year and it was enjoyable day out, as such I'll be heading along to this tomorrow, will be getting the 10:53 15A from Durham, may possibly be sharing that bus with some fellow forum members.
Jimmi
03 Sep 2016, 5:42 pm #38

Went to the one last year and it was enjoyable day out, as such I'll be heading along to this tomorrow, will be getting the 10:53 15A from Durham, may possibly be sharing that bus with some fellow forum members.

03 Sep 2016, 5:47 pm #39
Be coming tomorrow for the entire Consett - Consett run and hope to ride on all 3 changing at either Stanley or Chester and Durham for the return leg

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
03 Sep 2016, 5:47 pm #39

Be coming tomorrow for the entire Consett - Consett run and hope to ride on all 3 changing at either Stanley or Chester and Durham for the return leg

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

03 Sep 2016, 6:13 pm #40
Sadly I cannot make it due to arriving from holiday at 12pm tomorrow so won't, And will probably be too tired to make it.

South Tyne Lad
03 Sep 2016, 6:13 pm #40

Sadly I cannot make it due to arriving from holiday at 12pm tomorrow so won't, And will probably be too tired to make it.

Pages (4) Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average