Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (150) Previous 1148 149 150
Storx

14 Apr 2024, 12:51 pm #2,981
(14 Apr 2024, 11:44 am)col87 Ok the X10 takes longer than the train but it’s still always packed end to end so that’s not really an excuse. The X5 used to work as did the 231 before Go North East got rid of them so am fairly confident it would work now.  My X1 idea would be limited stop so really it would only be. Hartlepool Interchange, Hartlepool Victoria Road, Mill House, Dyke House School, University Hospital, All stops Throston Grange and all stops Hart Village, Dalton Park, Easington Lane clock, Houghton Le Spring, then whatever stop it is to Washington then more or less direct to Newcastle so am fairly sure it would work.

The X10 takes an hour from Peterlee, the X1 from Dalton Park would 90 mins+ though.

That's the big problem, also the slow part of the train is between Hartlepool and Middlesbrough as it goes on a magical detour around Stockton, Hartlepool to Newcastle is much more competitive on the train. Remember the X10, serves Peterlee, Billingham and Stockton which aren't really on the railway line at all aswell and it has had it's frequency cut in half recently aswell.
Edited 14 Apr 2024, 12:52 pm by Storx.
Storx
14 Apr 2024, 12:51 pm #2,981

(14 Apr 2024, 11:44 am)col87 Ok the X10 takes longer than the train but it’s still always packed end to end so that’s not really an excuse. The X5 used to work as did the 231 before Go North East got rid of them so am fairly confident it would work now.  My X1 idea would be limited stop so really it would only be. Hartlepool Interchange, Hartlepool Victoria Road, Mill House, Dyke House School, University Hospital, All stops Throston Grange and all stops Hart Village, Dalton Park, Easington Lane clock, Houghton Le Spring, then whatever stop it is to Washington then more or less direct to Newcastle so am fairly sure it would work.

The X10 takes an hour from Peterlee, the X1 from Dalton Park would 90 mins+ though.

That's the big problem, also the slow part of the train is between Hartlepool and Middlesbrough as it goes on a magical detour around Stockton, Hartlepool to Newcastle is much more competitive on the train. Remember the X10, serves Peterlee, Billingham and Stockton which aren't really on the railway line at all aswell and it has had it's frequency cut in half recently aswell.

Storx

14 Apr 2024, 1:21 pm #2,982
Been watching these 2/2A ideas but imo you'd be better making a Sunderland super loop which combines the 2/8 together instead, with expresses running inbetween resulting in this.

1/1A (Sunderland Loop): Sunderland - Royal Hospital - Penshaw - Rickleton - Ayton - Washington - HMRC - Castletown - Southwark - Sunderland
X2: Washington - Fatfield - Penshaw - [LIMITED STOP] - Royal Hospital - [LIMITED STOP] - Sunderland - Silksworth
X2A: Pennywell - [NON STOP] - Royal Hospital - [LIMITED STOP] - Sunderland - Silksworth
39A/B: All terminate at Sunderland

The Washington side as a result would look like this

(1/1A - Purple, 8 - Green, X2 - Pink, 50 - Blue)

and the Sunderland side looking like this:

(1/1A - Purple, X2/X2A - Pink, 35/35A - Yellow, 16 - Green, Combined - Black)

It would clean up both sides imo, with the 1/1A/16/35 all working together to give a 7.5 minute service (16 dropped in frequency) at the Sunderland side and a much much cleaner service in Washington with the 50 sped up and no real lost links on the 8 as they're mostly covered by the 78 anyway. We might aswell assume it's all franchising soon pretty much.

It's bonkers there's no bus service between Washington and the Stadium of Light, this would now cover it and a new express service with the X2 between Washington and Sunderland. There's way too many stopping buses along Chester Road currently. 7.5 mins is more than enough, with the 78 and 8 (SNE) running there aswell.
Edited 14 Apr 2024, 1:23 pm by Storx.
Storx
14 Apr 2024, 1:21 pm #2,982

Been watching these 2/2A ideas but imo you'd be better making a Sunderland super loop which combines the 2/8 together instead, with expresses running inbetween resulting in this.

1/1A (Sunderland Loop): Sunderland - Royal Hospital - Penshaw - Rickleton - Ayton - Washington - HMRC - Castletown - Southwark - Sunderland
X2: Washington - Fatfield - Penshaw - [LIMITED STOP] - Royal Hospital - [LIMITED STOP] - Sunderland - Silksworth
X2A: Pennywell - [NON STOP] - Royal Hospital - [LIMITED STOP] - Sunderland - Silksworth

It would clean up both sides imo, with the 1/1A/16/35 all working together to give a 7.5 minute service (16 dropped in frequency) at the Sunderland side and a much much cleaner service in Washington with the 50 sped up and no real lost links on the 8 as they're mostly covered by the 78 anyway. We might aswell assume it's all franchising soon pretty much.

It's bonkers there's no bus service between Washington and the Stadium of Light, this would now cover it and a new express service with the X2 between Washington and Sunderland. There's way too many stopping buses along Chester Road currently. 7.5 mins is more than enough, with the 78 and 8 (SNE) running there aswell.

Andreos1

14 Apr 2024, 2:24 pm #2,983
(14 Apr 2024, 1:21 pm)Storx Been watching these 2/2A ideas but imo you'd be better making a Sunderland super loop which combines the 2/8 together instead, with expresses running inbetween resulting in this.

They did something similar between getting rid of the X4, 185, 186 & 638 and introducing the 2.
Was only short lived mind. I think it was numbered something like the 773 and 774.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
14 Apr 2024, 2:24 pm #2,983

(14 Apr 2024, 1:21 pm)Storx Been watching these 2/2A ideas but imo you'd be better making a Sunderland super loop which combines the 2/8 together instead, with expresses running inbetween resulting in this.

They did something similar between getting rid of the X4, 185, 186 & 638 and introducing the 2.
Was only short lived mind. I think it was numbered something like the 773 and 774.

MurdnunoC

14 Apr 2024, 6:00 pm #2,984
(14 Apr 2024, 2:24 pm)Andreos1 They did something similar between getting rid of the X4, 185, 186 & 638 and introducing the 2.
It was. The 773/774 was later shortened to the 73/74 of which the 73 remained until its withdrawal reletively recently.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
MurdnunoC
14 Apr 2024, 6:00 pm #2,984

(14 Apr 2024, 2:24 pm)Andreos1 They did something similar between getting rid of the X4, 185, 186 & 638 and introducing the 2.
It was. The 773/774 was later shortened to the 73/74 of which the 73 remained until its withdrawal reletively recently.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Storx

14 Apr 2024, 7:01 pm #2,985

Must admit, can't remember that one. Remember the 8 going along Chester Road though, and the 73 I believe which covered that before as mentioned after.

The 8 is just a bizarre route to me, just a long route with arguably very little people wanting to cross Washington as there's alternative services doing the same areas (50 or 78) and not an awful lot along the route. It might've been decent service to get the ship workers to the docks but that boat last sailed over 30 year ago. 

Feels like it's a service which is being ran for reasons beyond money at the Eastern side, ie GNE don't want competition between Washington / Castletown and Sunderland.
Edited 14 Apr 2024, 7:04 pm by Storx.
Storx
14 Apr 2024, 7:01 pm #2,985

Must admit, can't remember that one. Remember the 8 going along Chester Road though, and the 73 I believe which covered that before as mentioned after.

The 8 is just a bizarre route to me, just a long route with arguably very little people wanting to cross Washington as there's alternative services doing the same areas (50 or 78) and not an awful lot along the route. It might've been decent service to get the ship workers to the docks but that boat last sailed over 30 year ago. 

Feels like it's a service which is being ran for reasons beyond money at the Eastern side, ie GNE don't want competition between Washington / Castletown and Sunderland.

Andreos1

14 Apr 2024, 7:50 pm #2,986
(14 Apr 2024, 7:01 pm)Storx Must admit, can't remember that one. Remember the 8 going along Chester Road though, and the 73 I believe which covered that before as mentioned after.

Yeah, they renumbered it after a year or so to the 73 and 74.
Then not long after that, it became the 2 and they axed the northern part of the route.
The original numbering presumably designed to work alongside the 775, 777 etc. 

One of my biggest issues with the 8 and 50, is that they're timed to basically follow each other from Chester towards Washington AND from Washington towards Chester.
An entire hour to play with and they decide to run them together.

It's been like that for years and I can't see them changing it now.
Edited 14 Apr 2024, 7:52 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
14 Apr 2024, 7:50 pm #2,986

(14 Apr 2024, 7:01 pm)Storx Must admit, can't remember that one. Remember the 8 going along Chester Road though, and the 73 I believe which covered that before as mentioned after.

Yeah, they renumbered it after a year or so to the 73 and 74.
Then not long after that, it became the 2 and they axed the northern part of the route.

One of my biggest issues with the 8 and 50, is that they're timed to basically follow each other from Chester towards Washington AND from Washington towards Chester.

Storx

14 Apr 2024, 8:17 pm #2,987
(14 Apr 2024, 7:50 pm)Andreos1 Yeah, they renumbered it after a year or so to the 73 and 74.

Ah fairs, interesting.

The whole of East Birtley / SW Washington is just a complete mess if you ask me, got the 8 going express doing arguably nothing, the 50 going on magical mystery tour around every door it can when people actually want to travel through then the 25 and 81/82/82A/83/37 or whatever number we're going for this week existing in some different form every week.

Compete mess, as an understatement and arguably the worst part of the network in the whole of Tyne and Wear other than parts of North Tyneside which is much the same. Hopefully it's the sort of place they get a grip of if franchising comes in rather than doing more of the same.
Edited 14 Apr 2024, 8:19 pm by Storx.
Storx
14 Apr 2024, 8:17 pm #2,987

(14 Apr 2024, 7:50 pm)Andreos1 Yeah, they renumbered it after a year or so to the 73 and 74.

Ah fairs, interesting.

The whole of East Birtley / SW Washington is just a complete mess if you ask me, got the 8 going express doing arguably nothing, the 50 going on magical mystery tour around every door it can when people actually want to travel through then the 25 and 81/82/82A/83/37 or whatever number we're going for this week existing in some different form every week.

Compete mess, as an understatement and arguably the worst part of the network in the whole of Tyne and Wear other than parts of North Tyneside which is much the same. Hopefully it's the sort of place they get a grip of if franchising comes in rather than doing more of the same.

Today, 12:44 am #2,988
See how I would change the Gateshead services to actually connect to places other than just Newcastle or Gateshead Interchange...
(if a service is not mentioned then it has not been touched - such as 21 & 27 etc...)

*My apologies for the photo quality, I have no idea how it became blurry...and when I try to remove the photos from the post it crashes*

1 Metrocentre → Whitley Bay Map
  • Quicker Cross-Tyne journeys to the Metrocentre
5/5A Newcastle → Annfield Plain/Fines Park Map Map
  • New Connections from Annfield Plain to Metrocentre
  • Combined frequencies 5/5A every 30 mins & 5/5A/6 every 15 mins
6 Newcastle → Durham Map
  • New Connections from Whickham to Durham & Sacriston to Newcastle
  • Combined frequencies with 6/16 to every 15 mins & 5/5A/6 every 15 mins
10/A/B Newcastle → Hexham/Prudhoe Map & Map 
  • New Connections from Rockwood Hill & Prudhoe
  • New through travel on 10A/10B allowing one journey to/from Tyne Retail Park
28/A/29 Newcastle → Chester-Le-St [20] Map Map  Map
  • New Connections from Birtley, Increased combined freq.
  • Combined Frequency of 10 mins with 56, until QE Hospital
X30/X31 Newcastle → Stanley [30] 
45/46 Newcastle → Consett Delves [20]
  • New Connections from Delves to Newcastle & Metrocentre (45-46-45)
47 Newcastle → Blackhall Mill/Consett [30]
  • New Connections Consett to Blaydon/Winlaton
48/49 Heworth → Blackhall Mill/Winlaton [20]
  • New connections West/East Gateshead to Metrocentre & Team Valley (49-48-49)
51 Gateshead | Heworth | Amazon | Wrekenton | Low Fell | Gateshead [20]
  • New Connections from across Gateshead to Amazon
52 Gateshead | Low Fell | Wrekenton | Amazon | Heworth | Gateshead [20]
53 Newcastle | Quayside | Gateshead | Saltwell Park | Newcastle [15]
  • No Change just allocation of Q3 voltras instead
54 Newcastle | Saltwell Park | Gateshead | Quayside | Newcastle [15]
55 Newcastle → Sunderland [20] Map (Interworks with 56)
  • New Connections from Sunderland, Concord & Gateshead to Team Valley
56 Newcastle → Sunderland [20] (Interworks with 55)
  • Reduced freq to enable increased combined freq [every 10 mins] Newcastle to Wrekenton (28/28A/29/56) & Wrekenton to Sunderland (55/56) 
57 Winlaton → Wardley [20] Map A | Map B 
  • New cross city connections between East/West Gateshead & Newcastle Business Park
  • Increased Frequency to accommodate route changes.
58 Newcastle → Heworth [20]
  • Reduction in frequency to enable increased combined freq and route changes
X71 Newcastle → Castleside (Interworks with X5/X15)
97 Newcastle → Metrocentre Asda [20] (as it was for years)

Withdrawn/Changed Routes;
X72 - 5/5A/48 route replacement
16A - now 6 extension
686 - would need significantly changing (10A/10B)
34 - northern section of route either cut or changed
X45/47 - Changed into 45/46 & 47 extended once an hour to Consett
49/49A - new 47/48/49 routes encompass this route. 
93/94 - rerouted 51/52 covers northern part of route. New 48/49 routes cover southern part.
96 - covered by new 48/49
51/52 - route changes now covered by rerouted 57/58
29/25 - route variation for 29 and new 55 covers northern section of route
12/57 - 12 now numbered 57 and connects to gateshead. 57 rerouted.
58 - new route
1 - route changed to run via Dunston, Western part of route covered by 97.
Edited Today, 1:04 am by logidoodah.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

logidoodah
Today, 12:44 am #2,988

See how I would change the Gateshead services to actually connect to places other than just Newcastle or Gateshead Interchange...
(if a service is not mentioned then it has not been touched - such as 21 & 27 etc...)

*My apologies for the photo quality, I have no idea how it became blurry...and when I try to remove the photos from the post it crashes*

6 Newcastle → Durham Map
  • Reduced freq to enable increased combined freq [every 10 mins] Newcastle to Wrekenton (28/28A/29/56) & Wrekenton to Sunderland (55/56) 
  • New cross city connections between East/West Gateshead & Newcastle Business Park

16A - now 6 extension
93/94 - rerouted 51/52 covers northern part of route. New 48/49 routes cover southern part.
58 - new route

Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

V514DFT

9 hours ago #2,989
(Today, 12:44 am)logidoodah See how I would change the Gateshead services to actually connect to places other than just Newcastle or Gateshead Interchange...

6 Newcastle → Durham Map

16A - now 6 extension
58 - new route
What about the South Shields 5/5A?, suppose it could be renumbered 14/14A, and renumber the 26 to 15, and would your 6 effectively be reinstating the 43/44?
Edited 9 hours ago by V514DFT.

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
9 hours ago #2,989

(Today, 12:44 am)logidoodah See how I would change the Gateshead services to actually connect to places other than just Newcastle or Gateshead Interchange...

6 Newcastle → Durham Map

16A - now 6 extension
58 - new route
What about the South Shields 5/5A?, suppose it could be renumbered 14/14A, and renumber the 26 to 15, and would your 6 effectively be reinstating the 43/44?

Kind Regards
Tez

Storx

4 hours ago #2,990

6 Newcastle → Durham Map

16A - now 6 extension
58 - new route

Some interesting ideas but the Stanley area is still much the same as now personally I'd go more radical and redo most of it so you'd end up with something like

5 (Dark Blue): Newcastle - Metrocentre - Whickham (Parts) - Burnopfield - Dipton - Stanley - 16 Route - Durham
6 (Light Blue): Newcastle - Metrocentre - Whickham (Parts) - Sunniside - Tanfield - Tanfield Lea - Stanley - 16A Route - Durham
7 (Red): Newcastle - Gateshead - Team Valley - Birtley - Ouston - Pelton - West Pelton - Beamish - Stanley
8 (Orange): Consett - `16 Route - Stanley - No Place - Beamish - High Handenhold - Pelton - Current Route - Sunderland
25 (Pink): Newcastle - QE Hospital - Wrekenton - Birtley - Portobello - Chester Le Street - Sacriston - Langley Park
26/26A (Purple): Washington - 82 Route - Birtley - Blackfell Way (26A) or Kibblesworth - Low Fell - Prince Concort Road - Gateshead - Newcastle (26)
71 (Dark Purple): Extended to Stanley via 28 Route, then direct
X70 (Green): Consett - Leadgate - Dipton - Tantobie - Burnopfield - Sunniside - Gateshead
X72: Withdrawn
X30/X31/X71: No Changes
96: Every 30 Minutes, Extended to Newcastle
97: Every 30 Minutes
7/96/97: Every 10 Minutes, Gateshead to Team Valley North

All these routes would be every 30 minutes excluding the X70 which interworks with the X71 for a 30 minute service Burnopfield <> Gateshead. It's much tidier than the mess currently around Birtley, why not actually make some connections people might want ie. Team Valley or Stanley, rather than another bus to Chester Le Street around everywhere.

The 16 from end to end is pretty useless as it is currently aswell as it does an express route on a detour, having a link to Washington or Newcastle / Metrocentre would be much more beneficial from places like Annfield Plain and it's the same number of buses running through as now pretty much taking the X72 away.

Map above

You could even make the case for merging the 1 and 7 together and giving North Tyne links to Team Valley.
Edited 4 hours ago by Storx.
Storx
4 hours ago #2,990

6 Newcastle → Durham Map

16A - now 6 extension
58 - new route

Some interesting ideas but the Stanley area is still much the same as now personally I'd go more radical and redo most of it so you'd end up with something like

5 (Dark Blue): Newcastle - Metrocentre - Whickham (Parts) - Burnopfield - Dipton - Stanley - 16 Route - Durham
6 (Light Blue): Newcastle - Metrocentre - Whickham (Parts) - Sunniside - Tanfield - Tanfield Lea - Stanley - 16A Route - Durham
7 (Red): Newcastle - Gateshead - Team Valley - Birtley - Ouston - Pelton - West Pelton - Beamish - Stanley
8 (Orange): Consett - `16 Route - Stanley - No Place - Beamish - High Handenhold - Pelton - Current Route - Sunderland
25 (Pink): Newcastle - QE Hospital - Wrekenton - Birtley - Portobello - Chester Le Street - Sacriston - Langley Park
26/26A (Purple): Washington - 82 Route - Birtley - Blackfell Way (26A) or Kibblesworth - Low Fell - Prince Concort Road - Gateshead - Newcastle (26)
71 (Dark Purple): Extended to Stanley via 28 Route, then direct
X70 (Green): Consett - Leadgate - Dipton - Tantobie - Burnopfield - Sunniside - Gateshead
X72: Withdrawn
X30/X31/X71: No Changes
96: Every 30 Minutes, Extended to Newcastle
97: Every 30 Minutes
7/96/97: Every 10 Minutes, Gateshead to Team Valley North

All these routes would be every 30 minutes excluding the X70 which interworks with the X71 for a 30 minute service Burnopfield <> Gateshead. It's much tidier than the mess currently around Birtley, why not actually make some connections people might want ie. Team Valley or Stanley, rather than another bus to Chester Le Street around everywhere.

The 16 from end to end is pretty useless as it is currently aswell as it does an express route on a detour, having a link to Washington or Newcastle / Metrocentre would be much more beneficial from places like Annfield Plain and it's the same number of buses running through as now pretty much taking the X72 away.

Map above

You could even make the case for merging the 1 and 7 together and giving North Tyne links to Team Valley.

Unber43

3 hours ago #2,991
If youre removing the 16/16A I would increase the X5/X15 to every 20 mins
Unber43
3 hours ago #2,991

If youre removing the 16/16A I would increase the X5/X15 to every 20 mins

Storx

2 hours ago #2,992
(3 hours ago)Unber43 If youre removing the 16/16A I would increase the X5/X15 to every 20 mins

Not sure you'd need to, there won't be many people travelling from Consett or Leadgate through to Durham using it, it just doesn't make sense. It always come across as a route for driver changeovers rather than being actually useful.

The rest of the route is just the same pretty much, bar you'd use the 5, 6 or 8 instead depending where you are.
Storx
2 hours ago #2,992

(3 hours ago)Unber43 If youre removing the 16/16A I would increase the X5/X15 to every 20 mins

Not sure you'd need to, there won't be many people travelling from Consett or Leadgate through to Durham using it, it just doesn't make sense. It always come across as a route for driver changeovers rather than being actually useful.

The rest of the route is just the same pretty much, bar you'd use the 5, 6 or 8 instead depending where you are.

1 hour ago #2,993
And you see ladies and gentlemen

A classic example on why bus services fail

Too many changes instead of tweaks

Renumbered services is criminal

It doesn't benefit anyone except the office desk the infrequent passenger will be so confused you lose confidence

And you see ladies and gentlemen

A classic example on why bus services fail

Too many changes instead of tweaks

Renumbered services is criminal

It doesn't benefit anyone except the office desk the infrequent passenger will be so confused you lose confidence

Pages (150) Previous 1148 149 150

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average