Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (150) Previous 1100 101 102150 Next
MurdnunoC

07 Jan 2022, 12:22 pm #2,001
(07 Jan 2022, 11:52 am)streetdeckfan So you're saying a I shouldn't suggest a service that goes Tindale to Metrocentre via Bishop, Crook, Durham, Arnison Centre, CLS, Gateshead, Dunston, and IKEA?

I think that would be a very popular route and totally not just because that covers 90% of the places I travel to!

I have no issue with this suggestion as at least there's some honesty which isn't masquerading as a John Stuart Mill-esque provision of utilitarian gain.
MurdnunoC
07 Jan 2022, 12:22 pm #2,001

(07 Jan 2022, 11:52 am)streetdeckfan So you're saying a I shouldn't suggest a service that goes Tindale to Metrocentre via Bishop, Crook, Durham, Arnison Centre, CLS, Gateshead, Dunston, and IKEA?

I think that would be a very popular route and totally not just because that covers 90% of the places I travel to!

I have no issue with this suggestion as at least there's some honesty which isn't masquerading as a John Stuart Mill-esque provision of utilitarian gain.

Ambassador

07 Jan 2022, 12:28 pm #2,002
Blaydon is a commuter town (if there’s such a thing ) and it’s Estates are built as such. It’s all for car owners and let’s not forget it has a train station

I’m really struggling to understand why a totally different set of socio economic people from across the water would suddenly have an urge to visit Blaydon Morrisons

Demand is barely there for borderline profit routes not whimsical journeys across the Tyne

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
07 Jan 2022, 12:28 pm #2,002

Blaydon is a commuter town (if there’s such a thing ) and it’s Estates are built as such. It’s all for car owners and let’s not forget it has a train station

I’m really struggling to understand why a totally different set of socio economic people from across the water would suddenly have an urge to visit Blaydon Morrisons

Demand is barely there for borderline profit routes not whimsical journeys across the Tyne

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Chris 1

07 Jan 2022, 12:57 pm #2,003
(06 Jan 2022, 7:49 pm)MurdnunoC But why Blaydon? You have yet to provide a reason why anyone from the West End of Newcastle would want to travel to Blaydon. The only reason I can think of is that YOU want to travel to Blaydon, which is fine, but at least be honest about it rather than disguising it under the premise of wanting to create new links between places where very few people either end of the route wish to travel

While Metrocentre is a ghost of what it is once was, it still provides a number of things which Blaydon does not. So diverting the 6 or the 7 away from the Metrocentre would be commercial suicide for either service. My point about Metrocentre, which I think you misunderstood, is that there is little point in creating new Metrocentre specific services, shoppers specials if you will, like we might have seen in the past as shopping habits have drastically changed over the last decade or so.

On a final note, there were once services which operated between Blaydon and Westerhope (616/617/641/M16/M17). The reason they originally existed was to provide Stella Power Station with a bus service. Once that was demolished in 1990 ridership declined which led to the eventual withdrawal of the route sometime in the early 2000s, if not earlier. So to go back to my opening question: Why Blaydon? What has suddenly changed which would make folk want to go there?

I can remember getting Atlanteans, Olympians and Nationals on the 616/617 back in the day.  The demise was stark, mini buses in the end and even then in the M16/M17 days the service was split at Blaydon on evenings and Sundays.

(06 Jan 2022, 7:09 pm)OrangeArrow49 Could we see the 6 and 7 withdrawn in the future if the Metrocentre is losing popularity? Maybe a new Four Lane Ends - Kingston Park - West Denton - Blaydon service? Be good to see the 6 and 7 run to Blaydon.

The 6/7 strikes me as two routes in one.  Metrocentre - Newbiggin Hall/Westerhope et al and then Newbiggin Hall/Westerhope to the Freeman.  Can't see many people using it the full route.

(07 Jan 2022, 12:45 am)OrangeArrow49 There is more to life than shopping, people might have family or friends in different areas. Also tickets are problematic as Blaydon is GNE and Westerhope is Stagecoach (apart from the 74) so it costs more in this case travelling into Newcastle and then on to Westerhope. Sometimes the demand hasn't been explored (a service could run from the Metrocentre to Blaydon or Elswick and it makes little difference).

For my journey to Blaydon I believe I can get the 941 to Scotswood Road and then get the 12/12A from Scotswood Bridge towards Winlaton, so it avoids going into Newcastle unnecessarily.

I'm thinking you're referring to the stop on the Scotswood Bridge slip road?  If so, does the 12/12A still stop there?  I'm sure a while back I can remember reading that they were removing stopping on some stops on Scotswood Road to speed up journey times.
Edited 07 Jan 2022, 1:03 pm by Chris 1.
Chris 1
07 Jan 2022, 12:57 pm #2,003

(06 Jan 2022, 7:49 pm)MurdnunoC But why Blaydon? You have yet to provide a reason why anyone from the West End of Newcastle would want to travel to Blaydon. The only reason I can think of is that YOU want to travel to Blaydon, which is fine, but at least be honest about it rather than disguising it under the premise of wanting to create new links between places where very few people either end of the route wish to travel

While Metrocentre is a ghost of what it is once was, it still provides a number of things which Blaydon does not. So diverting the 6 or the 7 away from the Metrocentre would be commercial suicide for either service. My point about Metrocentre, which I think you misunderstood, is that there is little point in creating new Metrocentre specific services, shoppers specials if you will, like we might have seen in the past as shopping habits have drastically changed over the last decade or so.

On a final note, there were once services which operated between Blaydon and Westerhope (616/617/641/M16/M17). The reason they originally existed was to provide Stella Power Station with a bus service. Once that was demolished in 1990 ridership declined which led to the eventual withdrawal of the route sometime in the early 2000s, if not earlier. So to go back to my opening question: Why Blaydon? What has suddenly changed which would make folk want to go there?

I can remember getting Atlanteans, Olympians and Nationals on the 616/617 back in the day.  The demise was stark, mini buses in the end and even then in the M16/M17 days the service was split at Blaydon on evenings and Sundays.

(06 Jan 2022, 7:09 pm)OrangeArrow49 Could we see the 6 and 7 withdrawn in the future if the Metrocentre is losing popularity? Maybe a new Four Lane Ends - Kingston Park - West Denton - Blaydon service? Be good to see the 6 and 7 run to Blaydon.

The 6/7 strikes me as two routes in one.  Metrocentre - Newbiggin Hall/Westerhope et al and then Newbiggin Hall/Westerhope to the Freeman.  Can't see many people using it the full route.

(07 Jan 2022, 12:45 am)OrangeArrow49 There is more to life than shopping, people might have family or friends in different areas. Also tickets are problematic as Blaydon is GNE and Westerhope is Stagecoach (apart from the 74) so it costs more in this case travelling into Newcastle and then on to Westerhope. Sometimes the demand hasn't been explored (a service could run from the Metrocentre to Blaydon or Elswick and it makes little difference).

For my journey to Blaydon I believe I can get the 941 to Scotswood Road and then get the 12/12A from Scotswood Bridge towards Winlaton, so it avoids going into Newcastle unnecessarily.

I'm thinking you're referring to the stop on the Scotswood Bridge slip road?  If so, does the 12/12A still stop there?  I'm sure a while back I can remember reading that they were removing stopping on some stops on Scotswood Road to speed up journey times.

MurdnunoC

07 Jan 2022, 2:20 pm #2,004
(07 Jan 2022, 12:57 pm)Chris 1 I can remember getting Atlanteans, Olympians and Nationals on the 616/617 back in the day.  The demise was stark, mini buses in the end and even then in the M16/M17 days the service was split at Blaydon on evenings and Sundays.

I remember when the service was split at Blaydon on an evening and Sunday. I think the Westerhope to Blaydon section was the 49a operated by Blue Bus Services. It also went to Throckley in that period returning to the normal route via Wallbottle .
MurdnunoC
07 Jan 2022, 2:20 pm #2,004

(07 Jan 2022, 12:57 pm)Chris 1 I can remember getting Atlanteans, Olympians and Nationals on the 616/617 back in the day.  The demise was stark, mini buses in the end and even then in the M16/M17 days the service was split at Blaydon on evenings and Sundays.

I remember when the service was split at Blaydon on an evening and Sunday. I think the Westerhope to Blaydon section was the 49a operated by Blue Bus Services. It also went to Throckley in that period returning to the normal route via Wallbottle .

07 Jan 2022, 4:16 pm #2,005
Just to be clear, I think areas in close proximity should have a bus, regardless of where I do or don't wish to go. Going into Newcastle to come back the other way makes no sense to me. Particularly with the additional cost of that wasted journey. A privatised bus network is not the best!

In terms of Blaydon/Winlaton it was the 792/941 works buses that inspired my thinking, in addition to bygone era services and Westerhope being close to the A1, not my personal travel plans alone.
OrangeArrow49
07 Jan 2022, 4:16 pm #2,005

Just to be clear, I think areas in close proximity should have a bus, regardless of where I do or don't wish to go. Going into Newcastle to come back the other way makes no sense to me. Particularly with the additional cost of that wasted journey. A privatised bus network is not the best!

In terms of Blaydon/Winlaton it was the 792/941 works buses that inspired my thinking, in addition to bygone era services and Westerhope being close to the A1, not my personal travel plans alone.

07 Jan 2022, 5:32 pm #2,006
(06 Jan 2022, 4:23 pm)Omega54 I would extend it up the A690 to Sunderland as like a express to Washington. Or just send it straight up the A1231. Also From the Regent Centre you maybe could extend it to Haymarket with the Q3 to add a further connection to the bus station which Wallsend, nor Jarrow have at this moment.

Extending it to Sunderland would add connnections from the A690 to Newcastle & Washington, Wallsend, Freemans, Amazon.

And X123 I don't really like that. But maybe X56. Or just a X65

In my head I think this route will be about an hour. Making a route longer and longer is not in the interests of passengers.

Not gonna lie stand at a bus stop and see how many people say don't get that one as it goes all over. 

It needs direct express limited stopping and not forcing you to go via Newcastle and Gateshead  to get around the region 

I think that could be the problem forcing every journey to go via Newcastle but cars have an option to go via Tyne Tunnel 
There is less than a handful of bus services go through the tunnel and you can only go to Royal Quays or North Shields
DaveFromUpNorth
07 Jan 2022, 5:32 pm #2,006

(06 Jan 2022, 4:23 pm)Omega54 I would extend it up the A690 to Sunderland as like a express to Washington. Or just send it straight up the A1231. Also From the Regent Centre you maybe could extend it to Haymarket with the Q3 to add a further connection to the bus station which Wallsend, nor Jarrow have at this moment.

Extending it to Sunderland would add connnections from the A690 to Newcastle & Washington, Wallsend, Freemans, Amazon.

And X123 I don't really like that. But maybe X56. Or just a X65

In my head I think this route will be about an hour. Making a route longer and longer is not in the interests of passengers.

Not gonna lie stand at a bus stop and see how many people say don't get that one as it goes all over. 

It needs direct express limited stopping and not forcing you to go via Newcastle and Gateshead  to get around the region 

I think that could be the problem forcing every journey to go via Newcastle but cars have an option to go via Tyne Tunnel 
There is less than a handful of bus services go through the tunnel and you can only go to Royal Quays or North Shields

07 Jan 2022, 9:46 pm #2,007
(07 Jan 2022, 4:16 pm)OrangeArrow49 Just to be clear, I think areas in close proximity should have a bus, regardless of where I do or don't wish to go. Going into Newcastle to come back the other way makes no sense to me. Particularly with the additional cost of that wasted journey. A privatised bus network is not the best!

Your ideas are quite entertaining, if not a little self centred. I d like bus to leave Hartlepool on a Saturday morning , at regular intervals, to take me direct to Sunderland. It must not stop at any place in between (except Ryhope, to pick my mate up). I d like it to call at Greggs, a few pubs in town, then direct to the SoL. Then , after 1930, I d like a regular service, at taxi speed, to return me to Hartlepool. I d ask GNE to run this service, but if they did, they’d feck around with it so many times , thst walking it would be more reliable!! ?.
Economic505
07 Jan 2022, 9:46 pm #2,007

(07 Jan 2022, 4:16 pm)OrangeArrow49 Just to be clear, I think areas in close proximity should have a bus, regardless of where I do or don't wish to go. Going into Newcastle to come back the other way makes no sense to me. Particularly with the additional cost of that wasted journey. A privatised bus network is not the best!

Your ideas are quite entertaining, if not a little self centred. I d like bus to leave Hartlepool on a Saturday morning , at regular intervals, to take me direct to Sunderland. It must not stop at any place in between (except Ryhope, to pick my mate up). I d like it to call at Greggs, a few pubs in town, then direct to the SoL. Then , after 1930, I d like a regular service, at taxi speed, to return me to Hartlepool. I d ask GNE to run this service, but if they did, they’d feck around with it so many times , thst walking it would be more reliable!! ?.

07 Jan 2022, 10:19 pm #2,008
(07 Jan 2022, 9:46 pm)Economic505  Your ideas are quite entertaining, if not a little self centred. I d like bus to leave Hartlepool on a Saturday morning , at regular intervals, to take me direct to Sunderland. It must not stop at any place in between (except Ryhope, to pick my mate up). I d like it to call at Greggs, a few pubs in town, then direct to the SoL. Then , after 1930, I d like a regular service, at taxi speed, to return me to Hartlepool. I d ask GNE to run this service, but if they did, they’d feck around with it so many times , thst walking it would be more reliable!! ?.

All I'm saying is places in close proximity should have a service linking them. For example the Stagecoach 71 from Slatyford to Westerhope and onto Throckley or likewise the 72 to Chapel House doesn't involve a trip into Newcastle whereas to Blaydon it does, despite being little further than Scotswood which has the direct 6 and 7. For me and whoever else uses GNE tickets in Stagecoach territory because they cover the most areas it means walking or waiting for a less frequent service. 

Personally I care about everyone, and think convenient travel is vital (who drives from Westerhope to Newcastle onto to Blaydon to just get to Blaydon?). Gateshead is popular and serviced can operate either side of Blaydon through Gateshead into Durham.
OrangeArrow49
07 Jan 2022, 10:19 pm #2,008

(07 Jan 2022, 9:46 pm)Economic505  Your ideas are quite entertaining, if not a little self centred. I d like bus to leave Hartlepool on a Saturday morning , at regular intervals, to take me direct to Sunderland. It must not stop at any place in between (except Ryhope, to pick my mate up). I d like it to call at Greggs, a few pubs in town, then direct to the SoL. Then , after 1930, I d like a regular service, at taxi speed, to return me to Hartlepool. I d ask GNE to run this service, but if they did, they’d feck around with it so many times , thst walking it would be more reliable!! ?.

All I'm saying is places in close proximity should have a service linking them. For example the Stagecoach 71 from Slatyford to Westerhope and onto Throckley or likewise the 72 to Chapel House doesn't involve a trip into Newcastle whereas to Blaydon it does, despite being little further than Scotswood which has the direct 6 and 7. For me and whoever else uses GNE tickets in Stagecoach territory because they cover the most areas it means walking or waiting for a less frequent service. 

Personally I care about everyone, and think convenient travel is vital (who drives from Westerhope to Newcastle onto to Blaydon to just get to Blaydon?). Gateshead is popular and serviced can operate either side of Blaydon through Gateshead into Durham.

MurdnunoC

07 Jan 2022, 10:45 pm #2,009
(07 Jan 2022, 10:19 pm)OrangeArrow49 All I'm saying is places in close proximity should have a service linking them. For example the Stagecoach 71 from Slatyford to Westerhope and onto Throckley or likewise the 72 to Chapel House doesn't involve a trip into Newcastle whereas to Blaydon it does, despite being little further than Scotswood which has the direct 6 and 7. For me and whoever else uses GNE tickets in Stagecoach territory because they cover the most areas it means walking or waiting for a less frequent service. 

The reason Throckley, Chapel House and Westerhope have services which link one another is because the conduit is more or less linear and doesn't involve moving through an impassable object, namely that blue squiggly thing on the bottom of the map: The River Tyne. Gateshead is popular because it is a municipal centre for the Borough of Gateshead, just like Newcastle City Centre is for suburbs of Newcastle. Both are linked by a series of bridges that cross the River Tyne. Newcastle is also a regional capital and hub for people wishing to travel onwards to other regional hubs via train or coach, so it makes sense to have buses from the hinterlands of Gateshead (ie: Blaydon, Ryton, Winlaton and so forth) into Newcastle but not from suburban Newcastle (Westerhope, West Denton, Chapel House and beyond) into Gateshead as there would not be much point. 

There may well be others, aside from yourself, who use opt GNE tickets within Stagecoach territory. However, I'd wager there use is specific to one service at one particular time of day for the purposes of commuting to/from a permanent place of work or education (not because they fancy a jolly on the bus to the furthest outreaches of the network). I would also wager these people are in the tiniest fractional minority. If people need to use two operators, there are multi-operator/mutli-modal tickets available for that specific purpose. Once this alleged BSIP comes to fruition, it is mooted that the cost of this ticketing will significantly come down in price thus benefiting passengers who use this type of ticket or pass. As for the rest, they will be happy to use Stagecoach tickets because that is the operator who, by hook or crook, are the most dominant in the area. They won't walk miles just to use another operator due to some bad experience. There may be issues with reliability here and there, but there are with all operators and I don't think the sudden introduction of a GNE service into the territory will solve that because, guess what, they can be unreliable too (as evidenced by threads elsewhere on the forum).
MurdnunoC
07 Jan 2022, 10:45 pm #2,009

(07 Jan 2022, 10:19 pm)OrangeArrow49 All I'm saying is places in close proximity should have a service linking them. For example the Stagecoach 71 from Slatyford to Westerhope and onto Throckley or likewise the 72 to Chapel House doesn't involve a trip into Newcastle whereas to Blaydon it does, despite being little further than Scotswood which has the direct 6 and 7. For me and whoever else uses GNE tickets in Stagecoach territory because they cover the most areas it means walking or waiting for a less frequent service. 

The reason Throckley, Chapel House and Westerhope have services which link one another is because the conduit is more or less linear and doesn't involve moving through an impassable object, namely that blue squiggly thing on the bottom of the map: The River Tyne. Gateshead is popular because it is a municipal centre for the Borough of Gateshead, just like Newcastle City Centre is for suburbs of Newcastle. Both are linked by a series of bridges that cross the River Tyne. Newcastle is also a regional capital and hub for people wishing to travel onwards to other regional hubs via train or coach, so it makes sense to have buses from the hinterlands of Gateshead (ie: Blaydon, Ryton, Winlaton and so forth) into Newcastle but not from suburban Newcastle (Westerhope, West Denton, Chapel House and beyond) into Gateshead as there would not be much point. 

There may well be others, aside from yourself, who use opt GNE tickets within Stagecoach territory. However, I'd wager there use is specific to one service at one particular time of day for the purposes of commuting to/from a permanent place of work or education (not because they fancy a jolly on the bus to the furthest outreaches of the network). I would also wager these people are in the tiniest fractional minority. If people need to use two operators, there are multi-operator/mutli-modal tickets available for that specific purpose. Once this alleged BSIP comes to fruition, it is mooted that the cost of this ticketing will significantly come down in price thus benefiting passengers who use this type of ticket or pass. As for the rest, they will be happy to use Stagecoach tickets because that is the operator who, by hook or crook, are the most dominant in the area. They won't walk miles just to use another operator due to some bad experience. There may be issues with reliability here and there, but there are with all operators and I don't think the sudden introduction of a GNE service into the territory will solve that because, guess what, they can be unreliable too (as evidenced by threads elsewhere on the forum).

07 Jan 2022, 11:31 pm #2,010
(07 Jan 2022, 10:45 pm)MurdnunoC The reason Throckley, Chapel House and Westerhope have services which link one another is because the conduit is more or less linear and doesn't involve moving through an impassable object, namely that blue squiggly thing on the bottom of the map: The River Tyne. Gateshead is popular because it is a municipal centre for the Borough of Gateshead, just like Newcastle City Centre is for suburbs of Newcastle. Both are linked by a series of bridges that cross the River Tyne. Newcastle is also a regional capital and hub for people wishing to travel onwards to other regional hubs via train or coach, so it makes sense to have buses from the hinterlands of Gateshead (ie: Blaydon, Ryton, Winlaton and so forth) into Newcastle but not from suburban Newcastle (Westerhope, West Denton, Chapel House and beyond) into Gateshead as there would not be much point. 

I have suffered countless bad experiences with Stagecoach in Newcastle, but not in South Shields or Sunderland. Using Go North East works out cheaper for the places I go to (including Wallsend and elsewhere where Stagecoach also operates). For volunteering pre-Covid I sometimes needed GNE tickets and other times preferred the reliability. Multi operator tickets are just a waste of money for myself and others willing to walk. Personally I think paying for two operators is a waste of money just into town. GNE also gave me some free travel in 2020 which supported my volunteering efforts. Stagecoach once gave me a free day ticket.

Stagecoach caused me a number of serious issues. GNE has rarely let me down. Very happy with GNE. For employment in particular I need reliable transport, and even for volunteering its good to be on time.
Edited 07 Jan 2022, 11:35 pm by OrangeArrow49.
OrangeArrow49
07 Jan 2022, 11:31 pm #2,010

(07 Jan 2022, 10:45 pm)MurdnunoC The reason Throckley, Chapel House and Westerhope have services which link one another is because the conduit is more or less linear and doesn't involve moving through an impassable object, namely that blue squiggly thing on the bottom of the map: The River Tyne. Gateshead is popular because it is a municipal centre for the Borough of Gateshead, just like Newcastle City Centre is for suburbs of Newcastle. Both are linked by a series of bridges that cross the River Tyne. Newcastle is also a regional capital and hub for people wishing to travel onwards to other regional hubs via train or coach, so it makes sense to have buses from the hinterlands of Gateshead (ie: Blaydon, Ryton, Winlaton and so forth) into Newcastle but not from suburban Newcastle (Westerhope, West Denton, Chapel House and beyond) into Gateshead as there would not be much point. 

I have suffered countless bad experiences with Stagecoach in Newcastle, but not in South Shields or Sunderland. Using Go North East works out cheaper for the places I go to (including Wallsend and elsewhere where Stagecoach also operates). For volunteering pre-Covid I sometimes needed GNE tickets and other times preferred the reliability. Multi operator tickets are just a waste of money for myself and others willing to walk. Personally I think paying for two operators is a waste of money just into town. GNE also gave me some free travel in 2020 which supported my volunteering efforts. Stagecoach once gave me a free day ticket.

Stagecoach caused me a number of serious issues. GNE has rarely let me down. Very happy with GNE. For employment in particular I need reliable transport, and even for volunteering its good to be on time.

MurdnunoC

08 Jan 2022, 9:58 am #2,011
(07 Jan 2022, 11:31 pm)OrangeArrow49 I have suffered countless bad experiences with Stagecoach in Newcastle, but not in South Shields or Sunderland. Using Go North East works out cheaper for the places I go to (including Wallsend and elsewhere where Stagecoach also operates). For volunteering pre-Covid I sometimes needed GNE tickets and other times preferred the reliability. Multi operator tickets are just a waste of money for myself and others willing to walk. Personally I think paying for two operators is a waste of money just into town. GNE also gave me some free travel in 2020 which supported my volunteering efforts. Stagecoach once gave me a free day ticket.

But it's all swings and roundabouts. I live in an area dominated by GNE and have lost count of the number of times when their buses have been late or have failed to show up for one reason or another. Luckily for me, I don't use public transport to travel to work so the only harm done to me on a personal level amounts to a minor inconvenience, however there will be those who will be affected by the same repeated issues and problems. Conversely, I have never had a problem using GCT (who operate services in the area) or the Metro (who don't), yet there are countless stories, here and elsewhere, where both have fallen somewhat short of customer expectation. 

I doubt there are that many people willing to walk miles just to save a few pounds a week on a multi-modal ticket, in fact, I would suggest that you are probably one of a handful. So while a multi-modal ticket may not make financial sense to you, it makes perfect financial sense for those who wish to minimise their travel time by using more than one operator. Could they be cheaper? Certainly. And perhaps we'll see some savings included in the BSIP. However, realistically, GNE are never going to introduce regular services into the West End of Newcastle so irrespective of what BSIP has to offer, multi-modal tickets are always going to offer an efficient way of travelling without committing to an hour of walking before enduring the travel of public transport.

Since we're on about saving money, have you ever considered buying a bike? In urban areas bikes are quicker than buses for competent riders. As some on here are aware, I have the data to back that up.
MurdnunoC
08 Jan 2022, 9:58 am #2,011

(07 Jan 2022, 11:31 pm)OrangeArrow49 I have suffered countless bad experiences with Stagecoach in Newcastle, but not in South Shields or Sunderland. Using Go North East works out cheaper for the places I go to (including Wallsend and elsewhere where Stagecoach also operates). For volunteering pre-Covid I sometimes needed GNE tickets and other times preferred the reliability. Multi operator tickets are just a waste of money for myself and others willing to walk. Personally I think paying for two operators is a waste of money just into town. GNE also gave me some free travel in 2020 which supported my volunteering efforts. Stagecoach once gave me a free day ticket.

But it's all swings and roundabouts. I live in an area dominated by GNE and have lost count of the number of times when their buses have been late or have failed to show up for one reason or another. Luckily for me, I don't use public transport to travel to work so the only harm done to me on a personal level amounts to a minor inconvenience, however there will be those who will be affected by the same repeated issues and problems. Conversely, I have never had a problem using GCT (who operate services in the area) or the Metro (who don't), yet there are countless stories, here and elsewhere, where both have fallen somewhat short of customer expectation. 

I doubt there are that many people willing to walk miles just to save a few pounds a week on a multi-modal ticket, in fact, I would suggest that you are probably one of a handful. So while a multi-modal ticket may not make financial sense to you, it makes perfect financial sense for those who wish to minimise their travel time by using more than one operator. Could they be cheaper? Certainly. And perhaps we'll see some savings included in the BSIP. However, realistically, GNE are never going to introduce regular services into the West End of Newcastle so irrespective of what BSIP has to offer, multi-modal tickets are always going to offer an efficient way of travelling without committing to an hour of walking before enduring the travel of public transport.

Since we're on about saving money, have you ever considered buying a bike? In urban areas bikes are quicker than buses for competent riders. As some on here are aware, I have the data to back that up.

idiot

08 Jan 2022, 11:17 am #2,012
Cycling is much quicker than buses in the city to. Although next week I have the dreaded Durham Road past Mayfair Garages which is like a car park.
idiot
08 Jan 2022, 11:17 am #2,012

Cycling is much quicker than buses in the city to. Although next week I have the dreaded Durham Road past Mayfair Garages which is like a car park.

Adrian

08 Jan 2022, 11:47 am #2,013
(08 Jan 2022, 9:58 am)MurdnunoC Since we're on about saving money, have you ever considered buying a bike? In urban areas bikes are quicker than buses for competent riders. As some on here are aware, I have the data to back that up.

Bikes also provide a direct link between the West End and Blaydon.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
08 Jan 2022, 11:47 am #2,013

(08 Jan 2022, 9:58 am)MurdnunoC Since we're on about saving money, have you ever considered buying a bike? In urban areas bikes are quicker than buses for competent riders. As some on here are aware, I have the data to back that up.

Bikes also provide a direct link between the West End and Blaydon.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

idiot

08 Jan 2022, 11:50 am #2,014
(08 Jan 2022, 11:47 am)Adrian Bikes also provide a direct link between the West End and Blaydon.

Correct.
Although cycle infrastructure in the North East isn't the best it's certainly not the worst..

Hopefully more off road routes are made tarmac in the future as some of the routes are that bad you could lose a filling.
idiot
08 Jan 2022, 11:50 am #2,014

(08 Jan 2022, 11:47 am)Adrian Bikes also provide a direct link between the West End and Blaydon.

Correct.
Although cycle infrastructure in the North East isn't the best it's certainly not the worst..

Hopefully more off road routes are made tarmac in the future as some of the routes are that bad you could lose a filling.

08 Jan 2022, 11:59 am #2,015
(08 Jan 2022, 9:58 am)MurdnunoC But it's all swings and roundabouts. I live in an area dominated by GNE and have lost count of the number of times when their buses have been late or have failed to show up for one reason or another. Luckily for me, I don't use public transport to travel to work so the only harm done to me on a personal level amounts to a minor inconvenience, however there will be those who will be affected by the same repeated issues and problems. Conversely, I have never had a problem using GCT (who operate services in the area) or the Metro (who don't), yet there are countless stories, here and elsewhere, where both have fallen somewhat short of customer expectation. 

I can recommend a bike to anyone, MTB or Road/Race.
I can get from Sunderland to Newcastle faster than a 56, and not far behind an X24. Can be in Whitley Bay before a 1, 309 or 306 thanks to the super quick cycleway along the A1058. Around Towns and Cities I can beat any form of transport and that's on the road and obeying traffic lights. Cross Country as well, quicker than a 78 from Sunderland to Chester, and by means of the old railway line from Vigo to Consett can get there before the 78 as well. On the road I ride a carbon bike that is under 8kg, so you'll understand I made that choice as primary transport and can use it to get to places like Alnwick, Hexham, Teesside. Not all can ride race bikes, but modern carbon mountain/cross bikes are great for commuting and leisure. The battery technology on electric bikes is spreading, and if you want spend £15k you can have a Scott electric race bike that takes 95% of the weight off.
I'll always recommend bike use, sadly our roads are populated by ignorant drivers, and bad cyclists who give us all a bad name.
54APhotography
08 Jan 2022, 11:59 am #2,015

(08 Jan 2022, 9:58 am)MurdnunoC But it's all swings and roundabouts. I live in an area dominated by GNE and have lost count of the number of times when their buses have been late or have failed to show up for one reason or another. Luckily for me, I don't use public transport to travel to work so the only harm done to me on a personal level amounts to a minor inconvenience, however there will be those who will be affected by the same repeated issues and problems. Conversely, I have never had a problem using GCT (who operate services in the area) or the Metro (who don't), yet there are countless stories, here and elsewhere, where both have fallen somewhat short of customer expectation. 

I can recommend a bike to anyone, MTB or Road/Race.
I can get from Sunderland to Newcastle faster than a 56, and not far behind an X24. Can be in Whitley Bay before a 1, 309 or 306 thanks to the super quick cycleway along the A1058. Around Towns and Cities I can beat any form of transport and that's on the road and obeying traffic lights. Cross Country as well, quicker than a 78 from Sunderland to Chester, and by means of the old railway line from Vigo to Consett can get there before the 78 as well. On the road I ride a carbon bike that is under 8kg, so you'll understand I made that choice as primary transport and can use it to get to places like Alnwick, Hexham, Teesside. Not all can ride race bikes, but modern carbon mountain/cross bikes are great for commuting and leisure. The battery technology on electric bikes is spreading, and if you want spend £15k you can have a Scott electric race bike that takes 95% of the weight off.
I'll always recommend bike use, sadly our roads are populated by ignorant drivers, and bad cyclists who give us all a bad name.

08 Jan 2022, 12:17 pm #2,016
(08 Jan 2022, 11:59 am)54APhotography I can recommend a bike to anyone, MTB or Road/Race.
I can get from Sunderland to Newcastle faster than a 56, and not far behind an X24. Can be in Whitley Bay before a 65, 309 or 306 thanks to the super quick cycleway along the A1058. Around Towns and Cities I can beat any form of transport and that's on the road and obeying traffic lights. Cross Country as well, quicker than a 78 from Sunderland to Chester, and by means of the old railway line from Vigo to Consett can get there before the 78 as well. On the road I ride a carbon bike that is under 8kg, so you'll understand I made that choice as primary transport and can use it to get to places like Alnwick, Hexham, Teesside. Not all can ride race bikes, but modern carbon mountain/cross bikes are great for commuting and leisure. The battery technology on electric bikes is spreading, and if you want spend £15k you can have a Scott electric race bike that takes 95% of the weight off.
I'd love to start riding my bike around again, but I think I'd last about 5 minutes before getting knocked off with the state of the drivers down here.

I currently have a folding mountain bike, which I like since it takes up very little space, but I've been toying with the idea of either getting an electric mountain bike, or converting my current one to electric.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
08 Jan 2022, 12:17 pm #2,016

(08 Jan 2022, 11:59 am)54APhotography I can recommend a bike to anyone, MTB or Road/Race.
I can get from Sunderland to Newcastle faster than a 56, and not far behind an X24. Can be in Whitley Bay before a 65, 309 or 306 thanks to the super quick cycleway along the A1058. Around Towns and Cities I can beat any form of transport and that's on the road and obeying traffic lights. Cross Country as well, quicker than a 78 from Sunderland to Chester, and by means of the old railway line from Vigo to Consett can get there before the 78 as well. On the road I ride a carbon bike that is under 8kg, so you'll understand I made that choice as primary transport and can use it to get to places like Alnwick, Hexham, Teesside. Not all can ride race bikes, but modern carbon mountain/cross bikes are great for commuting and leisure. The battery technology on electric bikes is spreading, and if you want spend £15k you can have a Scott electric race bike that takes 95% of the weight off.
I'd love to start riding my bike around again, but I think I'd last about 5 minutes before getting knocked off with the state of the drivers down here.

I currently have a folding mountain bike, which I like since it takes up very little space, but I've been toying with the idea of either getting an electric mountain bike, or converting my current one to electric.

08 Jan 2022, 12:38 pm #2,017
(08 Jan 2022, 12:17 pm)streetdeckfan I'd love to start riding my bike around again, but I think I'd last about 5 minutes before getting knocked off with the state of the drivers down here.

I would recommend going electric and look at a crosser, something you can use happily on road/cycleway/gravel. You are 100% correct about car drivers, since the theory test came in they seem to be worse, not better, and awareness of their hideous, fat lifestyle wagons is abysmal. What room they think they give is in reality very little. Coastal dawdlers are as bad, Whitley Bay to Tynemouth is back as a two way road after a period of one way and dual cycleway, drivers seem oblivious to everything when they are captivated by the sea views, bikes, other cars and pedestrians!
54APhotography
08 Jan 2022, 12:38 pm #2,017

(08 Jan 2022, 12:17 pm)streetdeckfan I'd love to start riding my bike around again, but I think I'd last about 5 minutes before getting knocked off with the state of the drivers down here.

I would recommend going electric and look at a crosser, something you can use happily on road/cycleway/gravel. You are 100% correct about car drivers, since the theory test came in they seem to be worse, not better, and awareness of their hideous, fat lifestyle wagons is abysmal. What room they think they give is in reality very little. Coastal dawdlers are as bad, Whitley Bay to Tynemouth is back as a two way road after a period of one way and dual cycleway, drivers seem oblivious to everything when they are captivated by the sea views, bikes, other cars and pedestrians!

MurdnunoC

08 Jan 2022, 12:38 pm #2,018

Exactly.

You can implement as many service suggestions as you want and create a fictional Go North East Bicycle division to satisfy any desire to allocate bikes to whichever shed of your choosing.

You could even cycle along the Coast Road between Billy Mill and Haymarket whilst making bus noises if inclined to do so.

Rrrrmrrmmmmmmghfjfjfhdhdjrrrrrrmmmmmmm
MurdnunoC
08 Jan 2022, 12:38 pm #2,018

Exactly.

You can implement as many service suggestions as you want and create a fictional Go North East Bicycle division to satisfy any desire to allocate bikes to whichever shed of your choosing.

You could even cycle along the Coast Road between Billy Mill and Haymarket whilst making bus noises if inclined to do so.

Rrrrmrrmmmmmmghfjfjfhdhdjrrrrrrmmmmmmm

08 Jan 2022, 12:44 pm #2,019
I looked into using a bike to commute when I was volunteering in Byker (yes, bike to Byker, I know!) as the bus fares were too expensive (and that was using just Stagecoach) and the buses were late for the journey home on Fridays. Unfortunately I decided against it due to it being unsafe and there being nowhere to leave a bike while I was volunteering. GNE helped just before the pandemic as I had a free all zones ticket.

Reliable transport is absolutely vital for commuting to work. Giving up Stagecoach was no easy decision, but it was bad for my health, stress, anxiety, depression etc because it was ruining my life. Although I've only lost two jobs and one place of education due to Stagecoach's unreliable services, but I've also lost other chances due to buses having a reputation for being unreliable. When I've been late for voluntary work it has been understood, but is not ideal. Personal experience matters. Fair enough I stopped using Arriva in about 2005 because a bus I boarded at Haymarket with my dad broke down and didn't leave the bus station (can't remember where he was taking me) and it put me off Arriva, whereas Stagecoach let me down countless times in over 20 years, and once I make a decision I stick with it, actions have consequences.

For a number of years I've walked into town anyway, by choice, for leisure, nothing to do with buses, and it's only really the West End of Newcastle where Stagecoach dominates, and once in town I've got free choice. GNE serves my destinations (sometimes exclusively, other times shared with Stagecoach and others) and I don't walk miles exactly usually around half an hour and usually that's just one way (usually back home, but can be either) and even if walking both ways totalling 1 hour, that's just the same as walking into town anyway but just split. I enjoy travelling with GNE/GCT/Phoenix/A-line, it's no hardship and usually doesn't involve a walk (74/792/808 are close by. Sundays are the only time I have to walk over an hour for a 33A/Q3 and now both ways since GCT took over the 42A (I used to get the 42A back to Kingston Park) so now over 2 hours walk. The X85 being introduced on Sundays was good, and I used it once (the pandemic has prevented much travel). I think Scotswood Road is under an hour for me to walk to for the 12/12A.

Using different buses gives me access to different shops (particularly at Kingston Park and Gosforth). Visiting friends and family could be a factor too.

I could be volunteering or working in Blaydon (for example) or Rowlands Gill (that nearly happened) or visiting someone in Chester-le-Street, all of which can be linked with the West of Newcastle via Westerhope or Slatyford, without going into Newcastle. Some employment doesn't count towards getting transport links (like Stella Power Station did) and visiting people isn't considered really. With new houses in Callerton and Woolsington, and developments at Great Park new/revised services could be introduced.

42A could operate Kingston Park to Killingworth and then a new service could run Four Lane Ends to Wallsend.
OrangeArrow49
08 Jan 2022, 12:44 pm #2,019

I looked into using a bike to commute when I was volunteering in Byker (yes, bike to Byker, I know!) as the bus fares were too expensive (and that was using just Stagecoach) and the buses were late for the journey home on Fridays. Unfortunately I decided against it due to it being unsafe and there being nowhere to leave a bike while I was volunteering. GNE helped just before the pandemic as I had a free all zones ticket.

Reliable transport is absolutely vital for commuting to work. Giving up Stagecoach was no easy decision, but it was bad for my health, stress, anxiety, depression etc because it was ruining my life. Although I've only lost two jobs and one place of education due to Stagecoach's unreliable services, but I've also lost other chances due to buses having a reputation for being unreliable. When I've been late for voluntary work it has been understood, but is not ideal. Personal experience matters. Fair enough I stopped using Arriva in about 2005 because a bus I boarded at Haymarket with my dad broke down and didn't leave the bus station (can't remember where he was taking me) and it put me off Arriva, whereas Stagecoach let me down countless times in over 20 years, and once I make a decision I stick with it, actions have consequences.

For a number of years I've walked into town anyway, by choice, for leisure, nothing to do with buses, and it's only really the West End of Newcastle where Stagecoach dominates, and once in town I've got free choice. GNE serves my destinations (sometimes exclusively, other times shared with Stagecoach and others) and I don't walk miles exactly usually around half an hour and usually that's just one way (usually back home, but can be either) and even if walking both ways totalling 1 hour, that's just the same as walking into town anyway but just split. I enjoy travelling with GNE/GCT/Phoenix/A-line, it's no hardship and usually doesn't involve a walk (74/792/808 are close by. Sundays are the only time I have to walk over an hour for a 33A/Q3 and now both ways since GCT took over the 42A (I used to get the 42A back to Kingston Park) so now over 2 hours walk. The X85 being introduced on Sundays was good, and I used it once (the pandemic has prevented much travel). I think Scotswood Road is under an hour for me to walk to for the 12/12A.

Using different buses gives me access to different shops (particularly at Kingston Park and Gosforth). Visiting friends and family could be a factor too.

I could be volunteering or working in Blaydon (for example) or Rowlands Gill (that nearly happened) or visiting someone in Chester-le-Street, all of which can be linked with the West of Newcastle via Westerhope or Slatyford, without going into Newcastle. Some employment doesn't count towards getting transport links (like Stella Power Station did) and visiting people isn't considered really. With new houses in Callerton and Woolsington, and developments at Great Park new/revised services could be introduced.

42A could operate Kingston Park to Killingworth and then a new service could run Four Lane Ends to Wallsend.

08 Jan 2022, 3:13 pm #2,020

Same here always reccommend bike usage, however it is quite dangeous with these so-called drivers who pass a test and think they rule the road and everyone on it has to move out of their way, or stop for them even if they don't have right of way etc...
logidoodah
08 Jan 2022, 3:13 pm #2,020

Same here always reccommend bike usage, however it is quite dangeous with these so-called drivers who pass a test and think they rule the road and everyone on it has to move out of their way, or stop for them even if they don't have right of way etc...

Pages (150) Previous 1100 101 102150 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average