Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (150) Previous 166 67 68150 Next
big mac

31 May 2021, 10:14 am #1,321
(30 May 2021, 7:53 pm)OrangeArrow49 Why are scholars buses provided, when scholars can board normal public buses, and before the pandemic anybody could board a scholars bid anyway.

In many cases normal public services don't follow a route that goes from a school to a place where many of the kids that go to that school live.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
big mac
31 May 2021, 10:14 am #1,321

(30 May 2021, 7:53 pm)OrangeArrow49 Why are scholars buses provided, when scholars can board normal public buses, and before the pandemic anybody could board a scholars bid anyway.

In many cases normal public services don't follow a route that goes from a school to a place where many of the kids that go to that school live.

31 May 2021, 10:52 am #1,322
Plus in that case. Round mine. The only route from Seaton Burn college (or north goesforth academy) to Killingworth is the 42A which is ran by solos and does not even run along with the school finishing
Micheal Aaron
31 May 2021, 10:52 am #1,322

Plus in that case. Round mine. The only route from Seaton Burn college (or north goesforth academy) to Killingworth is the 42A which is ran by solos and does not even run along with the school finishing

31 May 2021, 11:57 am #1,323
(31 May 2021, 10:52 am)Micheal Aaron Plus in that case. Round mine. The only route from Seaton Burn college (or north goesforth academy) to Killingworth is the 42A which is ran by solos and does not even run along with the school finishing

You honestly contribute nothing in any of your posts. 42A this, 42A that. Nobody cares. The 42A goes to Killingworth, the 42A is operated with Solos, the 42A doesn't run for school finishing, the 42A is small, the 42A is one bus an hour, the 42A is blue, the 42A makes your brother late for school, the 42A has 4 wheels, yeah we know!

Everyone knows the Solo-operated 42A goes from Kingston Park to Wallsend, is your only Go North East bus, runs once an hour and is blue with 4 wheels. Lucky for you Arriva is an option, Four Lane Ends has all of the operators and isn't that far. Go North East is practically all I use, which is great fun ON Sundays when the 42A starts after 10am!
OrangeArrow49
31 May 2021, 11:57 am #1,323

(31 May 2021, 10:52 am)Micheal Aaron Plus in that case. Round mine. The only route from Seaton Burn college (or north goesforth academy) to Killingworth is the 42A which is ran by solos and does not even run along with the school finishing

You honestly contribute nothing in any of your posts. 42A this, 42A that. Nobody cares. The 42A goes to Killingworth, the 42A is operated with Solos, the 42A doesn't run for school finishing, the 42A is small, the 42A is one bus an hour, the 42A is blue, the 42A makes your brother late for school, the 42A has 4 wheels, yeah we know!

Everyone knows the Solo-operated 42A goes from Kingston Park to Wallsend, is your only Go North East bus, runs once an hour and is blue with 4 wheels. Lucky for you Arriva is an option, Four Lane Ends has all of the operators and isn't that far. Go North East is practically all I use, which is great fun ON Sundays when the 42A starts after 10am!

31 May 2021, 1:06 pm #1,324
(31 May 2021, 11:57 am)OrangeArrow49 You honestly contribute nothing in any of your posts. 42A this, 42A that. Nobody cares. The 42A goes to Killingworth, the 42A is operated with Solos, the 42A doesn't run for school finishing, the 42A is small, the 42A is one bus an hour, the 42A is blue, the 42A makes your brother late for school, the 42A has 4 wheels, yeah we know!

No I was responding to a post about why school buses are needed
Micheal Aaron
31 May 2021, 1:06 pm #1,324

(31 May 2021, 11:57 am)OrangeArrow49 You honestly contribute nothing in any of your posts. 42A this, 42A that. Nobody cares. The 42A goes to Killingworth, the 42A is operated with Solos, the 42A doesn't run for school finishing, the 42A is small, the 42A is one bus an hour, the 42A is blue, the 42A makes your brother late for school, the 42A has 4 wheels, yeah we know!

No I was responding to a post about why school buses are needed

31 May 2021, 1:29 pm #1,325

The 42A has six wheels, not four.
omnicity4659
31 May 2021, 1:29 pm #1,325

The 42A has six wheels, not four.

Rob44

31 May 2021, 1:41 pm #1,326
(31 May 2021, 1:29 pm)omnicity4659 The 42A has six wheels, not four.

7 if you include the steering wheel!    Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Rob44
31 May 2021, 1:41 pm #1,326

7 if you include the steering wheel!    Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

31 May 2021, 1:43 pm #1,327

Good point. I actually knew that. Just bored of his obsession with the 42A, plus his lack of useful insight in any of his posts. Responding for the sake of responding. Nothing he says promotes discussion. The 42A has precisely nothing to do with scholars buses, duplicates or suggestions for new or improved services in GNE's network. Obviously scholars buses are needed for scholars, but have been previously open to all passengers, and therefore could possibly be merged into a number public service, like works services don't just take people to and fron work, but pick up other passengers along the way.

(31 May 2021, 1:41 pm)Rob44 7 if you include the steering wheel!    Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Another good point. Interesting how vehicles have a steering wheel and wheels! Can be confusing.
Edited 31 May 2021, 1:44 pm by OrangeArrow49.
OrangeArrow49
31 May 2021, 1:43 pm #1,327

Good point. I actually knew that. Just bored of his obsession with the 42A, plus his lack of useful insight in any of his posts. Responding for the sake of responding. Nothing he says promotes discussion. The 42A has precisely nothing to do with scholars buses, duplicates or suggestions for new or improved services in GNE's network. Obviously scholars buses are needed for scholars, but have been previously open to all passengers, and therefore could possibly be merged into a number public service, like works services don't just take people to and fron work, but pick up other passengers along the way.

(31 May 2021, 1:41 pm)Rob44 7 if you include the steering wheel!    Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Another good point. Interesting how vehicles have a steering wheel and wheels! Can be confusing.

31 May 2021, 1:53 pm #1,328
Would it be possible to merge the 42A and Q3?

Benton - Four Lane Ends - Killingworth - Dudley - Seaton Burn - Wideopen - Hazlerigg - Dinnington - Airport - Callerton Parkway - Kingston Park - Great Park - Regent Centre & Gosforth - Newcastle City Centre & Quayside - Walker - Wallsend - Hadrian Park

Perhaps a half-hourly service?
OrangeArrow49
31 May 2021, 1:53 pm #1,328

Would it be possible to merge the 42A and Q3?

Benton - Four Lane Ends - Killingworth - Dudley - Seaton Burn - Wideopen - Hazlerigg - Dinnington - Airport - Callerton Parkway - Kingston Park - Great Park - Regent Centre & Gosforth - Newcastle City Centre & Quayside - Walker - Wallsend - Hadrian Park

Perhaps a half-hourly service?

big mac

31 May 2021, 2:08 pm #1,329
(31 May 2021, 1:43 pm)OrangeArrow49 Obviously scholars buses are needed for scholars, but have been previously open to all passengers, and therefore could possibly be merged into a number public service, like works services don't just take people to and fron work, but pick up other passengers along the way.

Even though scholars services were officially available for everybody to use, in practice when does that ever actually happen? Thinking back to using a scholars bus myself, I never once seen a member of the public ever get on one.

big mac
31 May 2021, 2:08 pm #1,329

(31 May 2021, 1:43 pm)OrangeArrow49 Obviously scholars buses are needed for scholars, but have been previously open to all passengers, and therefore could possibly be merged into a number public service, like works services don't just take people to and fron work, but pick up other passengers along the way.

Even though scholars services were officially available for everybody to use, in practice when does that ever actually happen? Thinking back to using a scholars bus myself, I never once seen a member of the public ever get on one.

31 May 2021, 2:20 pm #1,330
(31 May 2021, 2:08 pm)big mac Even though scholars services were officially available for everybody to use, in practice when does that ever actually happen?  Thinking back to using a scholars bus myself, I never once seen a member of the public ever get on one. 

My point exactly. Which means we have students on public services and scholars buses. Scholars buses aren't terribly useful to other passengers, and they'd stand out a mile if they did get on.

I think all buses should be open to everyone (when there isn't a pandemic) to make best use of the resources and provide the best service possible.

As well as taking students to school, and then home again, these services could be day trip services to other places (for example the 112 could do scholars West Jesmond - Arthur's Hill service and be a day trip to Benton in the morning and Blaydon on the afternoon, like we see with the works buses like the Henry Cooper 392 and the A-line 792, they provide a bus to and from work and could be a day trip to Benton and back or to Marden Estate/Blackhall Mill and get another bus to get back again).
OrangeArrow49
31 May 2021, 2:20 pm #1,330

(31 May 2021, 2:08 pm)big mac Even though scholars services were officially available for everybody to use, in practice when does that ever actually happen?  Thinking back to using a scholars bus myself, I never once seen a member of the public ever get on one. 

My point exactly. Which means we have students on public services and scholars buses. Scholars buses aren't terribly useful to other passengers, and they'd stand out a mile if they did get on.

I think all buses should be open to everyone (when there isn't a pandemic) to make best use of the resources and provide the best service possible.

As well as taking students to school, and then home again, these services could be day trip services to other places (for example the 112 could do scholars West Jesmond - Arthur's Hill service and be a day trip to Benton in the morning and Blaydon on the afternoon, like we see with the works buses like the Henry Cooper 392 and the A-line 792, they provide a bus to and from work and could be a day trip to Benton and back or to Marden Estate/Blackhall Mill and get another bus to get back again).

31 May 2021, 2:20 pm #1,331

I haven't seen anyone use it or if I have. It's been years
Micheal Aaron
31 May 2021, 2:20 pm #1,331

I haven't seen anyone use it or if I have. It's been years

Adrian

31 May 2021, 2:22 pm #1,332
(29 May 2021, 8:53 pm)Micheal Aaron 42A in my opinion is strange alongside the airport part. Here's what confusing me. Before Covid hit. I saw a few deckers operate at the airport (obviously for flights) it makes me confusing how you have one bus service an hour between Kingston Park and the airport 

I don't see why you'd need more than one bus an hour to the airport? People travelling from an airport have set departure times and need to get there in advance, so they'll be able to decide which 42A to get accordingly. Alternatively, they've got the 52/53/54 to Four Lane Ends, then they have access to a more regular service to the airport (changing at South Gosforth)

(29 May 2021, 8:53 pm)Micheal Aaron This is a point I ain't slating GNE at all. The 42A is a strange route in my opinion. Plus why move the times in the morning. It makes my brother late for school now. As he's due in at 8.40 where as the 42A gets to Wide-open for 8.50 or later (if its running late) that's the only problem I have with GNE about the 42A running time

Looking at the timetable, there's a 42A before that one. So whilst the timing could perhaps be a bit better (if its used for school traffic), it's not making him late when there's an alternative.

I think we're all suffering from 42A overload at the moment, but try and be nice Smile

@Michael - I appreciate that some of us can become a bit passionate about our local services, but sadly it becomes a bit repetitive over time. Unlike some operators, Go North East tend to increase the size of the vehicles in use, when there's sufficient demand for this. Whenever you've mentioned the 42A though, I've checked bustimes and it's usually carrying nothing but fresh air. So the level of service probably matches the level of demand in this case, but you can always raise your concerns to the operator directly: https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/get-in-touch

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
31 May 2021, 2:22 pm #1,332

(29 May 2021, 8:53 pm)Micheal Aaron 42A in my opinion is strange alongside the airport part. Here's what confusing me. Before Covid hit. I saw a few deckers operate at the airport (obviously for flights) it makes me confusing how you have one bus service an hour between Kingston Park and the airport 

I don't see why you'd need more than one bus an hour to the airport? People travelling from an airport have set departure times and need to get there in advance, so they'll be able to decide which 42A to get accordingly. Alternatively, they've got the 52/53/54 to Four Lane Ends, then they have access to a more regular service to the airport (changing at South Gosforth)

(29 May 2021, 8:53 pm)Micheal Aaron This is a point I ain't slating GNE at all. The 42A is a strange route in my opinion. Plus why move the times in the morning. It makes my brother late for school now. As he's due in at 8.40 where as the 42A gets to Wide-open for 8.50 or later (if its running late) that's the only problem I have with GNE about the 42A running time

Looking at the timetable, there's a 42A before that one. So whilst the timing could perhaps be a bit better (if its used for school traffic), it's not making him late when there's an alternative.

I think we're all suffering from 42A overload at the moment, but try and be nice Smile

@Michael - I appreciate that some of us can become a bit passionate about our local services, but sadly it becomes a bit repetitive over time. Unlike some operators, Go North East tend to increase the size of the vehicles in use, when there's sufficient demand for this. Whenever you've mentioned the 42A though, I've checked bustimes and it's usually carrying nothing but fresh air. So the level of service probably matches the level of demand in this case, but you can always raise your concerns to the operator directly: https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/get-in-touch

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

31 May 2021, 2:23 pm #1,333
(31 May 2021, 2:22 pm)Adrian I don't see why you'd need more than one bus an hour to the airport? People travelling from an airport have set departure times and need to get there in advance, so they'll be able to decide which 42A to get accordingly. Alternatively, they've got the 52/53/54 to Four Lane Ends, then they have access to a more regular service to the airport (changing at South Gosforth)

I understand. I'll calm down and not mention it again. Sorry
Micheal Aaron
31 May 2021, 2:23 pm #1,333

(31 May 2021, 2:22 pm)Adrian I don't see why you'd need more than one bus an hour to the airport? People travelling from an airport have set departure times and need to get there in advance, so they'll be able to decide which 42A to get accordingly. Alternatively, they've got the 52/53/54 to Four Lane Ends, then they have access to a more regular service to the airport (changing at South Gosforth)

I understand. I'll calm down and not mention it again. Sorry

31 May 2021, 2:25 pm #1,334

Back when I was at school I remember on quite a few occasions members of the public (typically older people) using the scholars, mostly just travelling a few stops between Chopwell and High Spen.
streetdeckfan
31 May 2021, 2:25 pm #1,334

Back when I was at school I remember on quite a few occasions members of the public (typically older people) using the scholars, mostly just travelling a few stops between Chopwell and High Spen.

31 May 2021, 2:27 pm #1,335
(31 May 2021, 2:25 pm)streetdeckfan Back when I was at school I remember on quite a few occasions members of the public (typically older people) using the scholars, mostly just travelling a few stops between Chopwell and High Spen.
I saw the odd few when I was at school. But that was mainly we had 6 schoo buses. 3 towards Killingworth/Annitsford. 3 towards Dinnington
Even then that was 6 odd 7 years ago
Micheal Aaron
31 May 2021, 2:27 pm #1,335

(31 May 2021, 2:25 pm)streetdeckfan Back when I was at school I remember on quite a few occasions members of the public (typically older people) using the scholars, mostly just travelling a few stops between Chopwell and High Spen.
I saw the odd few when I was at school. But that was mainly we had 6 schoo buses. 3 towards Killingworth/Annitsford. 3 towards Dinnington
Even then that was 6 odd 7 years ago

31 May 2021, 2:38 pm #1,336

Genuinely surprised at that. What did you think about it back then?

I think all passengers should be welcome to use the scholars buses to go a few stops. These services could be much better utilized, particularly in GNE areas where there is usually a bit of a walk between their buses (for example the Coaster 1A/1B services and the  Q3 in Byker) so a service could run between them as part of a scholars route.
OrangeArrow49
31 May 2021, 2:38 pm #1,336

Genuinely surprised at that. What did you think about it back then?

I think all passengers should be welcome to use the scholars buses to go a few stops. These services could be much better utilized, particularly in GNE areas where there is usually a bit of a walk between their buses (for example the Coaster 1A/1B services and the  Q3 in Byker) so a service could run between them as part of a scholars route.

31 May 2021, 2:46 pm #1,337
(31 May 2021, 2:38 pm)OrangeArrow49 Genuinely surprised at that. What did you think about it back then?

Honestly, I didn't like it. It felt weird.

I couldn't imagine getting on a bus full of kids, it's bad enough when I forget that schools are still a thing and get the X21 through Durham at 3pm!

The way I see it, if schools (or LAs) are paying for an operator to run the service, it should be reserved exclusively for the students to use.
streetdeckfan
31 May 2021, 2:46 pm #1,337

(31 May 2021, 2:38 pm)OrangeArrow49 Genuinely surprised at that. What did you think about it back then?

Honestly, I didn't like it. It felt weird.

I couldn't imagine getting on a bus full of kids, it's bad enough when I forget that schools are still a thing and get the X21 through Durham at 3pm!

The way I see it, if schools (or LAs) are paying for an operator to run the service, it should be reserved exclusively for the students to use.

31 May 2021, 2:54 pm #1,338
(31 May 2021, 2:46 pm)streetdeckfan Honestly, I didn't like it. It felt weird.

Well, I would agree with you, other than if there are services exclusively for students to use, then shouldn't kids be excluded from normal public services? Just seems unfair they have 2 choices, and ordinary passengers have just one. This means a public bus could be full, and yet a scholars bus could (in theory) be completely empty!
OrangeArrow49
31 May 2021, 2:54 pm #1,338

(31 May 2021, 2:46 pm)streetdeckfan Honestly, I didn't like it. It felt weird.

Well, I would agree with you, other than if there are services exclusively for students to use, then shouldn't kids be excluded from normal public services? Just seems unfair they have 2 choices, and ordinary passengers have just one. This means a public bus could be full, and yet a scholars bus could (in theory) be completely empty!

31 May 2021, 3:00 pm #1,339
(31 May 2021, 2:54 pm)OrangeArrow49 Well, I would agree with you, other than if there are services exclusively for students to use, then shouldn't kids be excluded from normal public services? Just seems unfair they have 2 choices, and ordinary passengers have just one. This means a public bus could be full, and yet a scholars bus could (in theory) be completely empty!

Yes, very yes!

Having said that, 90% of the time I took the public bus to school because other students at my school were, how do I put this kindly, scum.

Seriously though, the whole point of a scholars service is to get students to school, not to add extra capacity to an operators commercial operation.
If the public bus is full, then the operator should sort that out rather than filling up a scholars bus, taking up seats that schools/LAs have already paid for.
streetdeckfan
31 May 2021, 3:00 pm #1,339

(31 May 2021, 2:54 pm)OrangeArrow49 Well, I would agree with you, other than if there are services exclusively for students to use, then shouldn't kids be excluded from normal public services? Just seems unfair they have 2 choices, and ordinary passengers have just one. This means a public bus could be full, and yet a scholars bus could (in theory) be completely empty!

Yes, very yes!

Having said that, 90% of the time I took the public bus to school because other students at my school were, how do I put this kindly, scum.

Seriously though, the whole point of a scholars service is to get students to school, not to add extra capacity to an operators commercial operation.
If the public bus is full, then the operator should sort that out rather than filling up a scholars bus, taking up seats that schools/LAs have already paid for.

big mac

31 May 2021, 3:03 pm #1,340
That does surprise me. I would have thought the prospect of getting on a bus full of loud, unruly school children would be one that wouldn't appeal to many people. I thought they would be more likely to just let the scholars go and wait for the next normal service.

big mac
31 May 2021, 3:03 pm #1,340

That does surprise me. I would have thought the prospect of getting on a bus full of loud, unruly school children would be one that wouldn't appeal to many people. I thought they would be more likely to just let the scholars go and wait for the next normal service.

Pages (150) Previous 166 67 68150 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average