Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (147): Previous 175 76 77147 Next
Andreos1

23 Jul 2021, 4:04 pm #1,501
(23 Jul 2021, 12:38 pm)Storx Yeah agreed with that if I had to be honest, the services in parts of Whitley are a disgrace and it's no wonder bus usage is high. Monkseaton, Marden and Red House Farm must have some of the worst services in the North East especially the Southern Parts of Monkseaton which has the 57/57A and that's pretty much your lot, similar with Red House Farm which has the hourly 51 and that's your lot it's no wonder car usage is through the roof.

That's why I don't see the point in more expresses to add to the other 7 buses doing the same route through Whitley to Newcastle/Blyth (308 / 309) or the 5 buses between Whitley and Tynemouth doing pretty much the same route (1 / 306).

It's crazy how difficult it is to get to Silverlink, Tynemouth / Shields Morrison's, Monkseaton Sainsbury's and Norham Road Tesco from pretty much everywhere in East North Tyneside, argubly places where people need to get to if they want to shop. Sadly services which used to exist until not too long ago with the 75/76/85/86 before the 310/311 came along which are no better than the services they replaced (or in the case of the 311 cart around fresh air).

If they were instead of, rather than as well as - then an express between the coast and the town might be an idea.
Adding them alongside the existing network is a no-no imo.

However I think the priority is to improve the network across North Tyneside. At some point operators need to realise that not everyone lives and works in the same places their parents or grandparents did 30 years ago.

Bus operators have the advantage over the metro in that case. They can change their network a lot easier and cheaper than the train can.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
23 Jul 2021, 4:04 pm #1,501

(23 Jul 2021, 12:38 pm)Storx Yeah agreed with that if I had to be honest, the services in parts of Whitley are a disgrace and it's no wonder bus usage is high. Monkseaton, Marden and Red House Farm must have some of the worst services in the North East especially the Southern Parts of Monkseaton which has the 57/57A and that's pretty much your lot, similar with Red House Farm which has the hourly 51 and that's your lot it's no wonder car usage is through the roof.

That's why I don't see the point in more expresses to add to the other 7 buses doing the same route through Whitley to Newcastle/Blyth (308 / 309) or the 5 buses between Whitley and Tynemouth doing pretty much the same route (1 / 306).

It's crazy how difficult it is to get to Silverlink, Tynemouth / Shields Morrison's, Monkseaton Sainsbury's and Norham Road Tesco from pretty much everywhere in East North Tyneside, argubly places where people need to get to if they want to shop. Sadly services which used to exist until not too long ago with the 75/76/85/86 before the 310/311 came along which are no better than the services they replaced (or in the case of the 311 cart around fresh air).

If they were instead of, rather than as well as - then an express between the coast and the town might be an idea.
Adding them alongside the existing network is a no-no imo.

However I think the priority is to improve the network across North Tyneside. At some point operators need to realise that not everyone lives and works in the same places their parents or grandparents did 30 years ago.

Bus operators have the advantage over the metro in that case. They can change their network a lot easier and cheaper than the train can.

23 Jul 2021, 7:15 pm #1,502
Forum won't let me attach the timetables for some reason, but I got a few ideas regarding a parkway style bus hub for Washington:

New Service X23
Same as Arriva 7 from Darlington to Durham, then as X21 to CLS, then via Washington (MotoHub), then re-joining X21 route beside Angel all the way to Newcastle 
Service Operates up to Every 30 Mins (15, Combined with X24)

New Service X24
Same as X21 but diverted between CLS & Low Fell to Serve Washington (MotoHub). Will also replace X21
Service Operates up to Every 30 Mins (15, Combined with X24)

New Service X29
Consett - Derwentside College - Leadgate - Greencroft - Catchgate - Fines Park - Stanley - East Stanley - Beamish - High Handenhold - NON STOP - Washington (MotoHub) - NON STOP - Newcastle
Service Operates Hourly
Service Operates Hourly
ASX_Terranova
23 Jul 2021, 7:15 pm #1,502

Forum won't let me attach the timetables for some reason, but I got a few ideas regarding a parkway style bus hub for Washington:

New Service X23
Same as Arriva 7 from Darlington to Durham, then as X21 to CLS, then via Washington (MotoHub), then re-joining X21 route beside Angel all the way to Newcastle 
Service Operates up to Every 30 Mins (15, Combined with X24)

New Service X24
Same as X21 but diverted between CLS & Low Fell to Serve Washington (MotoHub). Will also replace X21
Service Operates up to Every 30 Mins (15, Combined with X24)

New Service X29
Consett - Derwentside College - Leadgate - Greencroft - Catchgate - Fines Park - Stanley - East Stanley - Beamish - High Handenhold - NON STOP - Washington (MotoHub) - NON STOP - Newcastle
Service Operates Hourly
Service Operates Hourly

25 Jul 2021, 2:32 pm #1,503
Here is some info on the X29 I mentioned earlier:
  • First Bus from Newcastle (Eldon Square): 08:08.
  • Last Bus from Newcastle (Eldon Square): 20:08 (to Consett), 21:08 (to Stanley).
  • Departures from Newcastle generally at 08.
  • First Bus from Washington MotoHub: 07:36 (towards Newcastle) & 07:30 (towards Stanley & Consett).
  • Last Bus from Washington MotoHub: 20:30 (towards Consett, 21:30 terminates at Stanley) & 20:36 (towards Newcastle).
  • Departures from Washington MotoHub generally at 30 (towards Stanley & Consett) & 36 (towards Newcastle).
  • First Bus from Beamish Museum (Main Gates): 07:23 (towards Newcastle) & 07:43 (towards Stanley & Consett).
  • Last Bus from Washington MotoHub: 20:43 (towards Consett, 21:43 terminates at Stanley) & 20:23 (towards Newcastle, 21:23 terminates at Washington MotoHub).
  • Departures from Beamish Museum (Main Gates) generally at 43 (towards Stanley & Consett) & 23 (towards Newcastle).
  • First Bus from Stanley (to Consett): 06:54.
  • First Bus from Stanley (to Newcastle): 07:15.
  • Last Bus from Stanley (to Consett): 20:54.
  • Last Bus from Stanley (to Newcastle): 2015, 2115 (only to Washington MotoHub).
  • Departures from Stanley generally at 15 towards Newcastle & 54 towards Consett.
  • First Bus from Consett: 07:40
  • Last Bus from Consett: 1940 (to Newcastle), 2040 (to Washington MotoHub), 2140 (to Stanley)
  • Departures from Consett generally at 40. 
  • Buses to Run Monday to Saturdays only at the moment.
  • Buses to be operated with a 36-ish seater single deck vehicle.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
25 Jul 2021, 2:32 pm #1,503

Here is some info on the X29 I mentioned earlier:

• First Bus from Newcastle (Eldon Square): 08:08.
  • Last Bus from Newcastle (Eldon Square): 20:08 (to Consett), 21:08 (to Stanley).
  • Departures from Newcastle generally at 08.
  • First Bus from Washington MotoHub: 07:36 (towards Newcastle) & 07:30 (towards Stanley & Consett).
  • Last Bus from Washington MotoHub: 20:30 (towards Consett, 21:30 terminates at Stanley) & 20:36 (towards Newcastle).
  • Departures from Washington MotoHub generally at 30 (towards Stanley & Consett) & 36 (towards Newcastle).
  • First Bus from Beamish Museum (Main Gates): 07:23 (towards Newcastle) & 07:43 (towards Stanley & Consett).
  • Last Bus from Washington MotoHub: 20:43 (towards Consett, 21:43 terminates at Stanley) & 20:23 (towards Newcastle, 21:23 terminates at Washington MotoHub).
  • Departures from Beamish Museum (Main Gates) generally at 43 (towards Stanley & Consett) & 23 (towards Newcastle).
  • First Bus from Stanley (to Consett): 06:54.
  • First Bus from Stanley (to Newcastle): 07:15.
  • Last Bus from Stanley (to Consett): 20:54.
  • Last Bus from Stanley (to Newcastle): 2015, 2115 (only to Washington MotoHub).
  • Departures from Stanley generally at 15 towards Newcastle & 54 towards Consett.
  • First Bus from Consett: 07:40
  • Last Bus from Consett: 1940 (to Newcastle), 2040 (to Washington MotoHub), 2140 (to Stanley)
  • Departures from Consett generally at 40. 
  • Buses to Run Monday to Saturdays only at the moment.
  • Buses to be operated with a 36-ish seater single deck vehicle.

MurdnunoC

25 Jul 2021, 3:32 pm #1,504
478 Venus - Saturn via The Moon, Earth (Washington MotoHub), Mars (Perseverance Landing Site), Asteroid Belt Hub, Io, Europa, and Titan.
MurdnunoC
25 Jul 2021, 3:32 pm #1,504

478 Venus - Saturn via The Moon, Earth (Washington MotoHub), Mars (Perseverance Landing Site), Asteroid Belt Hub, Io, Europa, and Titan.

25 Jul 2021, 4:06 pm #1,505
(25 Jul 2021, 3:32 pm)MurdnunoC 478 Venus - Saturn via The Moon, Earth (Washington MotoHub), Mars (Perseverance Landing Site), Asteroid Belt Hub, Io, Europa, and Titan.

Ah well that will be very useful for those of us living in Washington who wish to visit space at some point in the future Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Washingtonian
25 Jul 2021, 4:06 pm #1,505

(25 Jul 2021, 3:32 pm)MurdnunoC 478 Venus - Saturn via The Moon, Earth (Washington MotoHub), Mars (Perseverance Landing Site), Asteroid Belt Hub, Io, Europa, and Titan.

Ah well that will be very useful for those of us living in Washington who wish to visit space at some point in the future Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

MurdnunoC

25 Jul 2021, 4:35 pm #1,506
(25 Jul 2021, 4:06 pm)Washingtonian Ah well that will be very useful for those of us living in Washington who wish to visit space at some point in the future Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

To be fair, the proposed service is more likely to pick up passengers on either Mars or the Moon than it is at Washington Services ?
MurdnunoC
25 Jul 2021, 4:35 pm #1,506

(25 Jul 2021, 4:06 pm)Washingtonian Ah well that will be very useful for those of us living in Washington who wish to visit space at some point in the future Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

To be fair, the proposed service is more likely to pick up passengers on either Mars or the Moon than it is at Washington Services ?

Andreos1

27 Jul 2021, 12:14 pm #1,507
I was humming and harring about the idea of this MotoHub.

As the network stands, I don't think it could work.
However, if operators and local authorities actually spoke with each other, I think there's some potential. 
Particularly with the rumoured P&R sites just a few miles down the road.

There's very few routes that go anywhere near the services as it stands. 82 and 25 along Portobello Road and the 81/82 and 50 (can't remember what route it takes out of Washington this week) in Ayton. Plus those services which head along the motorway. 
If this hub was developed, multi-story carparking introduced (see Durham Station for an example of how that was done), routes were adapted and it was used not only as a hub to connect services - but also as a potential P&R site for places like Newcastle, Gateshead, Metrocentre, Chester le Street and Sunderland (it is on the border of three county boundaries) - I think there is potential.

No doubt it would cost money and it is totally different to anything seen before, but if LA's and operators want to see people make the modal switch, I do think they need to think outside the box.
A redesign of the dated services along with a change to the road structure either side of the motorway and this MotoHub, could be 'outside the box.

From a commercial perspective, Moto could be licking their lips! Footfall (and spending) could increase massively within the concessions.

Andreos1
27 Jul 2021, 12:14 pm #1,507

I was humming and harring about the idea of this MotoHub.

However, if operators and local authorities actually spoke with each other, I think there's some potential. 

There's very few routes that go anywhere near the services as it stands. 82 and 25 along Portobello Road and the 81/82 and 50 (can't remember what route it takes out of Washington this week) in Ayton. Plus those services which head along the motorway. 
If this hub was developed, multi-story carparking introduced (see Durham Station for an example of how that was done), routes were adapted and it was used not only as a hub to connect services - but also as a potential P&R site for places like Newcastle, Gateshead, Metrocentre, Chester le Street and Sunderland (it is on the border of three county boundaries) - I think there is potential.

No doubt it would cost money and it is totally different to anything seen before, but if LA's and operators want to see people make the modal switch, I do think they need to think outside the box.
A redesign of the dated services along with a change to the road structure either side of the motorway and this MotoHub, could be 'outside the box.

From a commercial perspective, Moto could be licking their lips! Footfall (and spending) could increase massively within the concessions.

27 Jul 2021, 2:17 pm #1,508
Just a quick question, have GNE every had a 3 axle demonstrator?
I was thinking, maybe use a tri-axle single deckers on busy routes with low bridges, but the only ones that spring to mind that would be busy enough would be the 4 or the 8/8A/78/78A.

(27 Jul 2021, 12:14 pm)Andreos1 I was humming and harring about the idea of this MotoHub.

You would also have the X21 from The A1 and you could divert the X32 that way. Unless you think the X21 should go into Washington Galleries
Edited 27 Jul 2021, 2:19 pm by ASX_Terranova.

ASX_Terranova
27 Jul 2021, 2:17 pm #1,508

Just a quick question, have GNE every had a 3 axle demonstrator?
I was thinking, maybe use a tri-axle single deckers on busy routes with low bridges, but the only ones that spring to mind that would be busy enough would be the 4 or the 8/8A/78/78A.

(27 Jul 2021, 12:14 pm)Andreos1 I was humming and harring about the idea of this MotoHub.

You would also have the X21 from The A1 and you could divert the X32 that way. Unless you think the X21 should go into Washington Galleries

JP6004

27 Jul 2021, 2:22 pm #1,509
(27 Jul 2021, 2:17 pm)ASX_Terranova Just a quick question, have GNE every had a 3 axle demonstrator?

The had tr-axle omnicity (might be called different) on trial on the then M1 in 2009ish
JP6004
27 Jul 2021, 2:22 pm #1,509

(27 Jul 2021, 2:17 pm)ASX_Terranova Just a quick question, have GNE every had a 3 axle demonstrator?

The had tr-axle omnicity (might be called different) on trial on the then M1 in 2009ish

27 Jul 2021, 2:33 pm #1,510

The X21 shouldn't even go through Low Fell never mind the bloody Galleries. It already takes long enough as it is!
streetdeckfan
27 Jul 2021, 2:33 pm #1,510

The X21 shouldn't even go through Low Fell never mind the bloody Galleries. It already takes long enough as it is!

Michael

27 Jul 2021, 2:46 pm #1,511
(27 Jul 2021, 2:22 pm)JP6004 The had tr-axle omnicity (might be called different) on trial on the then M1 in 2009ish

The Scania OmniLink, it was also used on the X66.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
27 Jul 2021, 2:46 pm #1,511

(27 Jul 2021, 2:22 pm)JP6004 The had tr-axle omnicity (might be called different) on trial on the then M1 in 2009ish

The Scania OmniLink, it was also used on the X66.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Kuyoyo

27 Jul 2021, 2:56 pm #1,512
(27 Jul 2021, 2:33 pm)streetdeckfan The X21 shouldn't even go through Low Fell never mind the bloody Galleries. It already takes long enough as it is!

So which way should it go between Chester-le-Street and Gateshead then in your personal opinion? Isn't much choice beyond going through Low Fell.
Kuyoyo
27 Jul 2021, 2:56 pm #1,512

(27 Jul 2021, 2:33 pm)streetdeckfan The X21 shouldn't even go through Low Fell never mind the bloody Galleries. It already takes long enough as it is!

So which way should it go between Chester-le-Street and Gateshead then in your personal opinion? Isn't much choice beyond going through Low Fell.

Andreos1

27 Jul 2021, 3:46 pm #1,513

If you're keeping the network as is, I'd do the following:

I'd keep the X21 as it is, but divert it in to the hub.
There's 2 buses an hour in to Gateshead Newcastle and Durham with the X21. 
I would also divert the X1 via this hub and have it omit Springwell.
There's 5 buses an hour in to Gateshead, Newcastle, Washington and beyond. 

I'd also have the 25, 81/82 and 50 serve the hub.

In addition, I would divert the 8 away from Harraton and Fatfield to serve the hub. There is already a fair few buses between those two places to Washington Town Centre and Sunderland. Not sure the 8 actually needs to operate through those areas. 

There's a number of existing services and with slight tweaks, I think they would complement each other. 

The only concerns I would have, is that the 8 and 50 aren't fast or frequent enough to appeal to those wanting a P&R to/from Sunderland City Centre nor the manufacturing/business parks. 
Ditto with the X1 and the coalfields areas, Rainton Bridge etc. Obviously there's nothing towards TVTE, Follingsby or Doxford Park either.
Key employment locations, which are chronically under-served.
For that, I think new services would need to be created - even if it was just at certain times of the day.
X21 could be diverted away from Low Fell and serve TVTE, there could be a 'peak' X50, which would operate via the A194 and serve Follingsby and the AMP/Nissan site.
Ditto a 'peak' X8, which worked its way to Sunderland via Rainton Bridge and/or Doxford International.

Andreos1
27 Jul 2021, 3:46 pm #1,513

If you're keeping the network as is, I'd do the following:

I'd also have the 25, 81/82 and 50 serve the hub.

In addition, I would divert the 8 away from Harraton and Fatfield to serve the hub. There is already a fair few buses between those two places to Washington Town Centre and Sunderland. Not sure the 8 actually needs to operate through those areas. 

There's a number of existing services and with slight tweaks, I think they would complement each other. 

The only concerns I would have, is that the 8 and 50 aren't fast or frequent enough to appeal to those wanting a P&R to/from Sunderland City Centre nor the manufacturing/business parks. 
Ditto with the X1 and the coalfields areas, Rainton Bridge etc. Obviously there's nothing towards TVTE, Follingsby or Doxford Park either.
For that, I think new services would need to be created - even if it was just at certain times of the day.
X21 could be diverted away from Low Fell and serve TVTE, there could be a 'peak' X50, which would operate via the A194 and serve Follingsby and the AMP/Nissan site.
Ditto a 'peak' X8, which worked its way to Sunderland via Rainton Bridge and/or Doxford International.

Storx

27 Jul 2021, 4:05 pm #1,514
(27 Jul 2021, 3:46 pm)Andreos1 If you're keeping the network as is, I'd do the following:

I'd also have the 81/82 and 50 serve the hub.

Ditto with the X1 and the coalfields areas, Rainton Bridge etc. Obviously there's nothing towards TVTE or Doxford Park either.

You'd have problems with the 8, 50 and X1 because you can't get off the A1(M) without a massive detour. There's no route from the A1(M) to the A1231 so the X1 would have to travel to the Angel then head the wrong way back to Wrekenton and it's on the wrong side of the A195 for the 8 and 50 Northbound so they would have to go on a massive detour up to the A182 and head back down.

The Park and Ride is also in the wrong place for heading to Sunderland as anyone going to Sunderland will already be travelling along the A1231, A690, A183 or A194/A19 depending where they've come from and it's going 'the wrong way'.

Personally I don't understand what links your making though tbh.

X1 users can change at Houghton for Sunderland / Durham / South Shields / Rainton / Doxford Park or Washington for South Shields / Chester Le Street / Stanley
X21 users can change at Durham for Sunderland / Rainton / Stanley / Doxford Park or Chester Le Street for Washington / South Shields / Stanley
8 / 50 users can change at Washington or Chester Le Street for Newcastle / Gateshead / Sunderland / Durham / Stanley
Storx
27 Jul 2021, 4:05 pm #1,514

(27 Jul 2021, 3:46 pm)Andreos1 If you're keeping the network as is, I'd do the following:

I'd also have the 81/82 and 50 serve the hub.

Ditto with the X1 and the coalfields areas, Rainton Bridge etc. Obviously there's nothing towards TVTE or Doxford Park either.

You'd have problems with the 8, 50 and X1 because you can't get off the A1(M) without a massive detour. There's no route from the A1(M) to the A1231 so the X1 would have to travel to the Angel then head the wrong way back to Wrekenton and it's on the wrong side of the A195 for the 8 and 50 Northbound so they would have to go on a massive detour up to the A182 and head back down.

The Park and Ride is also in the wrong place for heading to Sunderland as anyone going to Sunderland will already be travelling along the A1231, A690, A183 or A194/A19 depending where they've come from and it's going 'the wrong way'.

X1 users can change at Houghton for Sunderland / Durham / South Shields / Rainton / Doxford Park or Washington for South Shields / Chester Le Street / Stanley
X21 users can change at Durham for Sunderland / Rainton / Stanley / Doxford Park or Chester Le Street for Washington / South Shields / Stanley
8 / 50 users can change at Washington or Chester Le Street for Newcastle / Gateshead / Sunderland / Durham / Stanley

Andreos1

27 Jul 2021, 4:13 pm #1,515
(27 Jul 2021, 4:05 pm)Storx You'd have problems with the 8, 50 and X1 because you can't get off the A1(M) without a massive detour. There's no route from the A1(M) to the A1231 so the X1 would have to travel to the Angel then head the wrong way back to Wrekenton and it's on the wrong side of the A195 for the 8 and 50 Northbound so they would have to go on a massive detour up to the A182 and head back down.

That's why I said earlier on, that there would need to be massive changes to the road infrastructure/layout.
But if that's what gets people to make that modal switch, then it might be needed.
If it isn't, the X21 is going to be stuck behind traffic heading to TVTE whilst it battles its way to Low Fell.

A busway over the motorway (similar to the one at the Metrocentre) would be an effective way of getting the 8 from the northbound MotoHub back in to Washington (Holiday Inn/Chevies/Ayton).
I don't see the issue with the X1, as it would head up/down Fell Bank to the Angel to/from Wrekenton and it would still have easy access to the A195/A182.

Someone wanting to get to Rainton Bridge or Doxford Park from Birtley isn't likely to make the modal switch if they can get down to Picktree and drive through Fencehouses in 10mins.
As it stands, it's the best part of 30mins to the Galleries on the 82, another 30mins on the X1 to Houghton and another 10/15mins to either of the business parks. 

Similarly, someone going from Harraton to TVTE can jump straight on the motorway or head through Birtley and Lamesley. Or they can get a bus to the Galleries (10/15mins), jump on an X1 and gamble on connecting to a 94 at the QE (30mins+ depending on connections).
If this idea was ever going to come off (which to be honest, it's not likely to) the MotoHub journeys could be just as quick as they would be in the car.

Replicate those journeys tenfold and car is going to continue to be king. 
Make hard improvements to infrastructure and the network and people will realise public transport is not so such of a chew on after all.

Andreos1
27 Jul 2021, 4:13 pm #1,515

(27 Jul 2021, 4:05 pm)Storx You'd have problems with the 8, 50 and X1 because you can't get off the A1(M) without a massive detour. There's no route from the A1(M) to the A1231 so the X1 would have to travel to the Angel then head the wrong way back to Wrekenton and it's on the wrong side of the A195 for the 8 and 50 Northbound so they would have to go on a massive detour up to the A182 and head back down.

That's why I said earlier on, that there would need to be massive changes to the road infrastructure/layout.
But if that's what gets people to make that modal switch, then it might be needed.
If it isn't, the X21 is going to be stuck behind traffic heading to TVTE whilst it battles its way to Low Fell.

A busway over the motorway (similar to the one at the Metrocentre) would be an effective way of getting the 8 from the northbound MotoHub back in to Washington (Holiday Inn/Chevies/Ayton).
I don't see the issue with the X1, as it would head up/down Fell Bank to the Angel to/from Wrekenton and it would still have easy access to the A195/A182.

Someone wanting to get to Rainton Bridge or Doxford Park from Birtley isn't likely to make the modal switch if they can get down to Picktree and drive through Fencehouses in 10mins.
As it stands, it's the best part of 30mins to the Galleries on the 82, another 30mins on the X1 to Houghton and another 10/15mins to either of the business parks. 

Similarly, someone going from Harraton to TVTE can jump straight on the motorway or head through Birtley and Lamesley. Or they can get a bus to the Galleries (10/15mins), jump on an X1 and gamble on connecting to a 94 at the QE (30mins+ depending on connections).
If this idea was ever going to come off (which to be honest, it's not likely to) the MotoHub journeys could be just as quick as they would be in the car.

Make hard improvements to infrastructure and the network and people will realise public transport is not so such of a chew on after all.

Storx

27 Jul 2021, 6:21 pm #1,516
(27 Jul 2021, 4:13 pm)Andreos1 That's why I said earlier on, that there would need to be massive changes to the road infrastructure/layout.

I know what your trying to say and can't really disagree but it sounds rather expensive building bridges etc to force a hub in a place which might not work. 

Imo you'd be better off spending the money on reopening the Leamside Line which means you can have quick efficient trains taking traffic away from the roads and also trains from the ECML so you could potentially run a railway service between Durham and Newcastle with stations at Newton Hall, CLS, Birtley, Team Valley (P&R), Lobley Hill (P&R), Newcastle. Then the same at Follingsby (P&R), Washington, Penshaw (Bus to Doxford Park), Fencehouses (Bus to Rainton) and just end it there. 

With a good bus service to the railway station and decent connections ticketing and timings in Birtley you'd take much more traffic away from the roads. 

Obviously neither will happen though since there's no money for them.
Storx
27 Jul 2021, 6:21 pm #1,516

(27 Jul 2021, 4:13 pm)Andreos1 That's why I said earlier on, that there would need to be massive changes to the road infrastructure/layout.

I know what your trying to say and can't really disagree but it sounds rather expensive building bridges etc to force a hub in a place which might not work. 

Imo you'd be better off spending the money on reopening the Leamside Line which means you can have quick efficient trains taking traffic away from the roads and also trains from the ECML so you could potentially run a railway service between Durham and Newcastle with stations at Newton Hall, CLS, Birtley, Team Valley (P&R), Lobley Hill (P&R), Newcastle. Then the same at Follingsby (P&R), Washington, Penshaw (Bus to Doxford Park), Fencehouses (Bus to Rainton) and just end it there. 

With a good bus service to the railway station and decent connections ticketing and timings in Birtley you'd take much more traffic away from the roads. 

Andreos1

27 Jul 2021, 7:06 pm #1,517
(27 Jul 2021, 6:21 pm)Storx I know what your trying to say and can't really disagree but it sounds rather expensive building bridges etc to force a hub in a place which might not work. 

I genuinely think that now (more than ever before) is the time to restart and do things differently.
The world has changed so much in the last 18months and rather than traditional P&R sites or bus priority measures - operators, local authorities and (through gritted teeth) possibly private companies such as Moto need to get together and do something different. Pool resources in to one location that ticks several boxes, rather than the plans for Eighton Banks which won't achieve much imo and won't solve any of the issues people have, getting to TVTE, Newcastle Business Park or wherever else.

I agree that the Leamside Line should be re-opened, but as I said the other day when we were chatting about North Tyneside - it's a lot easier for bus operators to adapt to a changing world than it is for train operators.
It just appears bus operators prefer the same old, with a few cuts and route mergers along the way.

Interesting you mention the railway connecting to the bus network in Penshaw and Fencehouses to two of their closest major sites of employment. Bizarrely, you can't get a direct bus between those points now meaning commuters drive in, delaying buses at various points en-route.

As we keep hearing and seeing... But... But... Bus priority measures... Bus lanes and traffic lights Big Grin
Absolutely bonkers.

Andreos1
27 Jul 2021, 7:06 pm #1,517

(27 Jul 2021, 6:21 pm)Storx I know what your trying to say and can't really disagree but it sounds rather expensive building bridges etc to force a hub in a place which might not work. 

I genuinely think that now (more than ever before) is the time to restart and do things differently.
The world has changed so much in the last 18months and rather than traditional P&R sites or bus priority measures - operators, local authorities and (through gritted teeth) possibly private companies such as Moto need to get together and do something different. Pool resources in to one location that ticks several boxes, rather than the plans for Eighton Banks which won't achieve much imo and won't solve any of the issues people have, getting to TVTE, Newcastle Business Park or wherever else.

I agree that the Leamside Line should be re-opened, but as I said the other day when we were chatting about North Tyneside - it's a lot easier for bus operators to adapt to a changing world than it is for train operators.
It just appears bus operators prefer the same old, with a few cuts and route mergers along the way.

Interesting you mention the railway connecting to the bus network in Penshaw and Fencehouses to two of their closest major sites of employment. Bizarrely, you can't get a direct bus between those points now meaning commuters drive in, delaying buses at various points en-route.

As we keep hearing and seeing... But... But... Bus priority measures... Bus lanes and traffic lights Big Grin
Absolutely bonkers.

big mac

27 Jul 2021, 8:20 pm #1,518
Does it really make much difference the x21 serving the one stop on Low Fell to the overall journey time? Before the x21 started stopping on Low Fell and was non stop between Gateshead and Chester it used to go that way most of the time anyway, so why not pick up some more passengers for the sake of an extra minute, if that. It's not like it serves every stop on Durham Road.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
big mac
27 Jul 2021, 8:20 pm #1,518

Does it really make much difference the x21 serving the one stop on Low Fell to the overall journey time? Before the x21 started stopping on Low Fell and was non stop between Gateshead and Chester it used to go that way most of the time anyway, so why not pick up some more passengers for the sake of an extra minute, if that. It's not like it serves every stop on Durham Road.

27 Jul 2021, 9:32 pm #1,519
(27 Jul 2021, 8:20 pm)big mac Does it really make much difference the x21 serving the one stop on Low Fell to the overall journey time? Before the x21 started stopping on Low Fell and was non stop between Gateshead and Chester it used to go that way most of the time anyway, so why not pick up some more passengers for the sake of an extra minute, if that. It's not like it serves every stop on Durham Road.

Because it would give the flexibility to go via the A1 or Low Fell depending on traffic if it didn't have to serve Low Fell.
The same way that it can still go via Birtley if the A1 is busy

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
27 Jul 2021, 9:32 pm #1,519

(27 Jul 2021, 8:20 pm)big mac Does it really make much difference the x21 serving the one stop on Low Fell to the overall journey time? Before the x21 started stopping on Low Fell and was non stop between Gateshead and Chester it used to go that way most of the time anyway, so why not pick up some more passengers for the sake of an extra minute, if that. It's not like it serves every stop on Durham Road.

Because it would give the flexibility to go via the A1 or Low Fell depending on traffic if it didn't have to serve Low Fell.
The same way that it can still go via Birtley if the A1 is busy

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

29 Jul 2021, 5:09 pm #1,520
New Service 88
Washington - Team Valley - Lobley Hill - Dunston - Metrocentre - Swalwell - Blaydon - Winlaton

Would reinstate direct links to Metrocentre from Washington.
Would replace Work Service 90 for the most part.
Would keep the direct service between Rothbury Gardens, Cragside Gardens & the Metrocentre. 
Could maybe replace the Nexus Contracted Blaydon/Winlaton Locals.
Would serve Whickham Highway, Dunston Bank & Park Terrace rather Than Knightside Gardens & Wellington Road.
Frequency would 30 Mins from Winlaton to Lobley Hill with a Hourly Extension to Team Valley & The Galleries
Similar to the old M7/M9 (if anyone remembers those).

ASX_Terranova
29 Jul 2021, 5:09 pm #1,520

New Service 88
Washington - Team Valley - Lobley Hill - Dunston - Metrocentre - Swalwell - Blaydon - Winlaton

Would reinstate direct links to Metrocentre from Washington.
Would replace Work Service 90 for the most part.
Would keep the direct service between Rothbury Gardens, Cragside Gardens & the Metrocentre. 
Could maybe replace the Nexus Contracted Blaydon/Winlaton Locals.
Would serve Whickham Highway, Dunston Bank & Park Terrace rather Than Knightside Gardens & Wellington Road.
Frequency would 30 Mins from Winlaton to Lobley Hill with a Hourly Extension to Team Valley & The Galleries
Similar to the old M7/M9 (if anyone remembers those).

Pages (147): Previous 175 76 77147 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average