Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (150) Previous 19 10 11150 Next
GX03

30 Mar 2017, 7:58 am #181
(30 Mar 2017, 7:33 am)RJamie M You can't easily fit anything longer a solo around the hospital, I think the council and the hospital would be jubious if a full sized bus was allocated.
I think the 6 (or a varient) should run via hobson.

How on earth do you get from bridgehill to medomsley, also on the 46?

As I previously said, the X70/X71 pick up and drop off a hell of a lot of passengers in the morning. I'm fairly sure the X71 is contracted through hamsterly mill to lintz, but even if it isn't - it's a link that hasn't been broken for near decades, and it's healthy. There is no reason to run a limited stop service from consett. During the day they are empty enough as they are, without omitting stops.
Easy enough, for the 46 from Shotley Bridge turn right following the 45 route (Consett bound) but follow the road straight ahead and it brings you to the cross roads at medomsley edge. The turning area at the hospital will easily accommodate a double decker, X71 doesn't carry that many between Consett and burnhopfield, The X72 variation carries even less.
GX03
30 Mar 2017, 7:58 am #181

(30 Mar 2017, 7:33 am)RJamie M You can't easily fit anything longer a solo around the hospital, I think the council and the hospital would be jubious if a full sized bus was allocated.
I think the 6 (or a varient) should run via hobson.

How on earth do you get from bridgehill to medomsley, also on the 46?

As I previously said, the X70/X71 pick up and drop off a hell of a lot of passengers in the morning. I'm fairly sure the X71 is contracted through hamsterly mill to lintz, but even if it isn't - it's a link that hasn't been broken for near decades, and it's healthy. There is no reason to run a limited stop service from consett. During the day they are empty enough as they are, without omitting stops.
Easy enough, for the 46 from Shotley Bridge turn right following the 45 route (Consett bound) but follow the road straight ahead and it brings you to the cross roads at medomsley edge. The turning area at the hospital will easily accommodate a double decker, X71 doesn't carry that many between Consett and burnhopfield, The X72 variation carries even less.

Jamie M

Unregistered

30 Mar 2017, 9:06 am #182
(30 Mar 2017, 7:58 am)GX03 Easy enough, for the 46 from Shotley Bridge turn right following the 45 route (Consett bound) but follow the road straight ahead and it brings you to the cross roads at medomsley edge. The turning area at the hospital will easily accommodate a double decker, X71 doesn't carry that many between Consett and burnhopfield, The X72 variation carries even less.

Double deckers are shorter than full sized single deckers. Plaxtons have their length down as 10.0, whereas most streetlites/omnicities are over 11.

I believe the X72 trip is to cover number one rather than anything.

If you were to divert the 46 over medomsley, it's covering similar routes to what already exist, so I wouldn't see the point of changing it in the first place.

There's no point changing a system that works fine on paper, other than for efficiency. The main efficiency point is that there should not be any double deckers on off-peak services from consett or stanley except for the B9s which make up PVR. Honestly, the baby solo would be sufficient on day time allocation to the 70s/71s/6s.
Jamie M
30 Mar 2017, 9:06 am #182

(30 Mar 2017, 7:58 am)GX03 Easy enough, for the 46 from Shotley Bridge turn right following the 45 route (Consett bound) but follow the road straight ahead and it brings you to the cross roads at medomsley edge. The turning area at the hospital will easily accommodate a double decker, X71 doesn't carry that many between Consett and burnhopfield, The X72 variation carries even less.

Double deckers are shorter than full sized single deckers. Plaxtons have their length down as 10.0, whereas most streetlites/omnicities are over 11.

I believe the X72 trip is to cover number one rather than anything.

If you were to divert the 46 over medomsley, it's covering similar routes to what already exist, so I wouldn't see the point of changing it in the first place.

There's no point changing a system that works fine on paper, other than for efficiency. The main efficiency point is that there should not be any double deckers on off-peak services from consett or stanley except for the B9s which make up PVR. Honestly, the baby solo would be sufficient on day time allocation to the 70s/71s/6s.

Malarkey

24 Apr 2017, 9:33 pm #183
700/701 - Seaburn Morrisons - St Peters Campus - The Docks - Park Lane Interchange - City Campus - Clanny House - Sunderland Royal Hospital - Durham Road - Herrington Burn - Philadelphia (Success Road) - Grasswell - Houghton le Spring - Doxford International - Moorside - Doxford Park Shops - Tunstall Village - Ryhope - Grangetown - Sunderland Eye Infirmary - Park Lane Interchange - Stadium of Light - St Peter's Campus - Seaburn Morrisons
  • Services 33/700 will merge together with an clockwise/anti-clockwise extension around Sunderland providing links across the city for Students of Sunderland College and University, NHS Workers and Patients at Sunderland Royal Hospital, Sunderland Eye Infirmary & Sunderland Children's Centre, along with Business links to Doxford International and local links for the Elderly across the area making it easier to get around.
  • Services will run Every 15 Minutes Monday to Saturday, and Every 30 Minutes on Sundays and Bank Holidays and will also stop within the grounds of the Royal Hospital.
  • Services would also be operated by brand new Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrids.
Malarkey
24 Apr 2017, 9:33 pm #183

700/701 - Seaburn Morrisons - St Peters Campus - The Docks - Park Lane Interchange - City Campus - Clanny House - Sunderland Royal Hospital - Durham Road - Herrington Burn - Philadelphia (Success Road) - Grasswell - Houghton le Spring - Doxford International - Moorside - Doxford Park Shops - Tunstall Village - Ryhope - Grangetown - Sunderland Eye Infirmary - Park Lane Interchange - Stadium of Light - St Peter's Campus - Seaburn Morrisons

• Services 33/700 will merge together with an clockwise/anti-clockwise extension around Sunderland providing links across the city for Students of Sunderland College and University, NHS Workers and Patients at Sunderland Royal Hospital, Sunderland Eye Infirmary & Sunderland Children's Centre, along with Business links to Doxford International and local links for the Elderly across the area making it easier to get around.
  • Services will run Every 15 Minutes Monday to Saturday, and Every 30 Minutes on Sundays and Bank Holidays and will also stop within the grounds of the Royal Hospital.
  • Services would also be operated by brand new Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrids.

08 Jun 2017, 3:29 pm #184
I think all the buses that go via Houghton Road - The Burn should either go via Gillas Ln-Seaham Rd-Market Place-Lake Rd-Houghton Church or either Houghton Rd-Hetton Rd- Houghton Church:

454, 968, ED2 and Wear Xpress X5: Gillas Ln - Seaham Road - Market Place - Lake Road - Houghton Centre

Red Arrows X1 and See it Do it Sunderland 35/A:
Houghton Road - Hetton Road - Houghton Centre.
LivingOnGNE
08 Jun 2017, 3:29 pm #184

I think all the buses that go via Houghton Road - The Burn should either go via Gillas Ln-Seaham Rd-Market Place-Lake Rd-Houghton Church or either Houghton Rd-Hetton Rd- Houghton Church:

454, 968, ED2 and Wear Xpress X5: Gillas Ln - Seaham Road - Market Place - Lake Road - Houghton Centre

Red Arrows X1 and See it Do it Sunderland 35/A:
Houghton Road - Hetton Road - Houghton Centre.

Andreos1

22 Jul 2017, 10:14 pm #185
I'm not a fan of the X66 being continuously downgraded - initially with extra stops and now with it being sent on a grand tour of the Metrocentre, but get why it is.

To maintain some sort of integrity and stop the inevitable issues with reliability, I wondered if there would be an alternative.

We already see Green Solars going around the front of the Metrocentre, so why not offer that as the S1 replacement?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
22 Jul 2017, 10:14 pm #185

I'm not a fan of the X66 being continuously downgraded - initially with extra stops and now with it being sent on a grand tour of the Metrocentre, but get why it is.

To maintain some sort of integrity and stop the inevitable issues with reliability, I wondered if there would be an alternative.

We already see Green Solars going around the front of the Metrocentre, so why not offer that as the S1 replacement?

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

22 Jul 2017, 11:25 pm #186
I would love to see GNE come into Shildon...Arriva are crap, the 5 and 5A always seem to run late, the 1 isnt too bad and the X1 goes nowhere near my house...Weardale 7 upto Spennymoor isn't too bad but, but it only runs hourly Monday-Friday...I want my favourite Bus Company back lol

2 choices...

The X21 sits in Bishop for ages so extend one of them down to the King William at Shildon

Bishop Auckland-Cockton Hill-South Church-Shildon

Turn the 18 into a circular route

Bishop Auckland-Coundon-Eldon-Shildon King William-Shildon Church St-Shildon Main St-Hippodrome-Tindale Cres-Woodhouse Close-Bishop Auckland

New Service 17...Basically 18 in Reverse

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
MrFozz
22 Jul 2017, 11:25 pm #186

I would love to see GNE come into Shildon...Arriva are crap, the 5 and 5A always seem to run late, the 1 isnt too bad and the X1 goes nowhere near my house...Weardale 7 upto Spennymoor isn't too bad but, but it only runs hourly Monday-Friday...I want my favourite Bus Company back lol

2 choices...

The X21 sits in Bishop for ages so extend one of them down to the King William at Shildon

Bishop Auckland-Coundon-Eldon-Shildon King William-Shildon Church St-Shildon Main St-Hippodrome-Tindale Cres-Woodhouse Close-Bishop Auckland

Ambassador

22 Jul 2017, 11:26 pm #187
It's a fair point. I'm assuming intu offer an incentive for this? Can't imagine it's massively profitable.

Can't he,p but wonder if intu would be better off running their staff car park mini bus around the centre. Let Asda, Mecca and ikea fork out for the rest

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
22 Jul 2017, 11:26 pm #187

It's a fair point. I'm assuming intu offer an incentive for this? Can't imagine it's massively profitable.

Can't he,p but wonder if intu would be better off running their staff car park mini bus around the centre. Let Asda, Mecca and ikea fork out for the rest

Jimmi

22 Jul 2017, 11:42 pm #188
(22 Jul 2017, 11:25 pm)MrFozz I would love to see GNE come into Shildon...Arriva are crap, the 5 and 5A always seem to run late , the 1 isnt too bad and the X1 goes nowhere near my house...Weardale 7 upto Spennymoor isn't too bad but, but it only runs hourly Monday-Friday...I want my favourite Bus Company back lol

2 choices...

At last! Someone on here now finally knows my frustrations with the Arriva 5/5A frequently running late!
Jimmi
22 Jul 2017, 11:42 pm #188

(22 Jul 2017, 11:25 pm)MrFozz I would love to see GNE come into Shildon...Arriva are crap, the 5 and 5A always seem to run late , the 1 isnt too bad and the X1 goes nowhere near my house...Weardale 7 upto Spennymoor isn't too bad but, but it only runs hourly Monday-Friday...I want my favourite Bus Company back lol

2 choices...

At last! Someone on here now finally knows my frustrations with the Arriva 5/5A frequently running late!

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

22 Jul 2017, 11:51 pm #189
I feel your pain Jimmi mate lol

MrFozz
22 Jul 2017, 11:51 pm #189

I feel your pain Jimmi mate lol

Dan

Site Administrator

23 Jul 2017, 6:56 am #190
(22 Jul 2017, 10:14 pm)Andreos1 I'm not a fan of the X66 being continuously downgraded - initially with extra stops and now with it being sent on a grand tour of the Metrocentre, but get why it is.

By suggesting that the 97/97A are extended via the S1 route, I'm not sure you do understand why the X66 service has had extra stops added and will now be extended via the S1 route?

By and large, footfall at the Metrocentre is going down. Like most shopping centres, a lot of people have moved away from the traditional methods of shopping, in favour of online shopping. On a service like the X66, I think it is only right for Go North East to move with the times, instead of sticking to the same route that was always traditionally known, despite shopping habits changing massively since then.

One of the main areas of the Metrocentre that is growing, unlike the other shopping malls, is the yellow quadrant. The yellow mall is where the leisure activities and restaurants are based. If this is the main place in the Metrocentre that people are travelling to, it seems a great idea in my eyes to provide a direct bus there from Gateshead, that takes under 15 minutes and runs at a regular frequency through the day.

It's important to understand here that Go North East faces their biggest competitor on their Metrocentre services: the car. Even I, as someone who gets free travel, often use the car when travelling to the Metrocentre. Why? A lack of a direct service to where I usually shop in the Metrocentre. I can drive to the Metrocentre in 15-20 minutes depending on traffic, but you're looking at borderline an hour by the time I get the Metro to Gateshead, X66 to Metrocentre, then walk to the shopping mall of my preference (or wait for a connection to S1 - which may have just left as I arrived). What is the appeal of travelling by public transport, especially when there is free car parking?

Time will tell with the X66 - but with the right marketing, it can only be a good thing.
Dan
23 Jul 2017, 6:56 am #190

(22 Jul 2017, 10:14 pm)Andreos1 I'm not a fan of the X66 being continuously downgraded - initially with extra stops and now with it being sent on a grand tour of the Metrocentre, but get why it is.

By suggesting that the 97/97A are extended via the S1 route, I'm not sure you do understand why the X66 service has had extra stops added and will now be extended via the S1 route?

By and large, footfall at the Metrocentre is going down. Like most shopping centres, a lot of people have moved away from the traditional methods of shopping, in favour of online shopping. On a service like the X66, I think it is only right for Go North East to move with the times, instead of sticking to the same route that was always traditionally known, despite shopping habits changing massively since then.

One of the main areas of the Metrocentre that is growing, unlike the other shopping malls, is the yellow quadrant. The yellow mall is where the leisure activities and restaurants are based. If this is the main place in the Metrocentre that people are travelling to, it seems a great idea in my eyes to provide a direct bus there from Gateshead, that takes under 15 minutes and runs at a regular frequency through the day.

It's important to understand here that Go North East faces their biggest competitor on their Metrocentre services: the car. Even I, as someone who gets free travel, often use the car when travelling to the Metrocentre. Why? A lack of a direct service to where I usually shop in the Metrocentre. I can drive to the Metrocentre in 15-20 minutes depending on traffic, but you're looking at borderline an hour by the time I get the Metro to Gateshead, X66 to Metrocentre, then walk to the shopping mall of my preference (or wait for a connection to S1 - which may have just left as I arrived). What is the appeal of travelling by public transport, especially when there is free car parking?

Time will tell with the X66 - but with the right marketing, it can only be a good thing.

G-CPTN

23 Jul 2017, 7:04 am #191
Pertinent observation and quite right that GNE should respond to changing trends.

Hexham moved the bus station from its central location to make way for the development of new shops - which have failed to materialise, and the old bus station remains derelict as the remaining town centre shops continue their decline (not helped by the bus station no longer delivering customers into the town centre).

A BAKERY in the heart of Hexham town centre has unexpectedly shut its doors for the last time. (click to read)

This bakery was so close to the old bus station that passengers passed by it to and from buses and was close enough to buy something between buses during their layover.
Now the walk from the new bus station means that people no longer bother.

http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/news/hex...845677e-ds (click to read)
Edited 23 Jul 2017, 7:21 am by G-CPTN.
G-CPTN
23 Jul 2017, 7:04 am #191

Pertinent observation and quite right that GNE should respond to changing trends.

Hexham moved the bus station from its central location to make way for the development of new shops - which have failed to materialise, and the old bus station remains derelict as the remaining town centre shops continue their decline (not helped by the bus station no longer delivering customers into the town centre).

A BAKERY in the heart of Hexham town centre has unexpectedly shut its doors for the last time. (click to read)

This bakery was so close to the old bus station that passengers passed by it to and from buses and was close enough to buy something between buses during their layover.
Now the walk from the new bus station means that people no longer bother.

http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/news/hex...845677e-ds (click to read)

Dan

Site Administrator

23 Jul 2017, 7:13 am #192
(23 Jul 2017, 7:04 am)G-CPTN Pertinent observation and quite right that GNE should respond to changing trends.

As a bus user, I recently travelled to Hexham for the first time since the opening of the new bus station. I was very impressed with the new bus station: gone are the days where buses had to reverse at the top of the horse-shoe, in order to get their bus back out of the station! The old bus station was hideously small and not by any means appropriate for the amount of buses that served it. Seating available inside the bus station and catering facilities within the bus station itself was a huge plus. I also found that the departure stands were great too.

I didn't find the walk into the town centre an issue. It was only an extra two minutes walk on what it was previously, and it was closer for me to walk down to the railway station.

The site of the old bus station appeared to be in use as a place for people to dump their cars!
Dan
23 Jul 2017, 7:13 am #192

(23 Jul 2017, 7:04 am)G-CPTN Pertinent observation and quite right that GNE should respond to changing trends.

As a bus user, I recently travelled to Hexham for the first time since the opening of the new bus station. I was very impressed with the new bus station: gone are the days where buses had to reverse at the top of the horse-shoe, in order to get their bus back out of the station! The old bus station was hideously small and not by any means appropriate for the amount of buses that served it. Seating available inside the bus station and catering facilities within the bus station itself was a huge plus. I also found that the departure stands were great too.

I didn't find the walk into the town centre an issue. It was only an extra two minutes walk on what it was previously, and it was closer for me to walk down to the railway station.

The site of the old bus station appeared to be in use as a place for people to dump their cars!

cbma06

23 Jul 2017, 7:25 am #193
I don't know why GNE can't run the metromini bus services around the S1 route, GNE tried extending the X66 before and it ended up in a right pickle with heavy delays around the car parks, the bus isn't going to win against the car user, people starting to get lazy, the old fashioned way to get off at the bus station and walk but seems people these days are to lazy to even do that , won't be long until there be GNE staff at bus station telling the drivers to terminate at bus station and head back to Gateshead. Won't be long when the X10 will be bypassing Dalton Park when events are on as the car queues will be trailing all down the A19 southbound etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
23 Jul 2017, 7:25 am #193

I don't know why GNE can't run the metromini bus services around the S1 route, GNE tried extending the X66 before and it ended up in a right pickle with heavy delays around the car parks, the bus isn't going to win against the car user, people starting to get lazy, the old fashioned way to get off at the bus station and walk but seems people these days are to lazy to even do that , won't be long until there be GNE staff at bus station telling the drivers to terminate at bus station and head back to Gateshead. Won't be long when the X10 will be bypassing Dalton Park when events are on as the car queues will be trailing all down the A19 southbound etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andreos1

23 Jul 2017, 9:19 am #194
(23 Jul 2017, 6:56 am)Dan By suggesting that the 97/97A are extended via the S1 route, I'm not sure you do understand why the X66 service has had extra stops added and will now be extended via the S1 route?

If the yellow quadrant is the place to be, then I am sure it is entirely feasible to extend the X66 there and without too much of an issue.

However, as the yellow quadrant doesnt contain anything that cant be found in Gateshead and/or Newcastle, I would suggest those who are on a direct bus to Gateshead or Newcastle, would head there. Rather than change on to an X66.

Regardless of any issues around any additional ticket costs.

If Intu are keen to increase footfall in the yellow quadrant, then attracting passengers to it from other areas around western Gateshead, North West Durham and the Tyne Valley is key. Maybe it shouldn't just be the Green Solars that head that way...

Andreos1
23 Jul 2017, 9:19 am #194

(23 Jul 2017, 6:56 am)Dan By suggesting that the 97/97A are extended via the S1 route, I'm not sure you do understand why the X66 service has had extra stops added and will now be extended via the S1 route?

If the yellow quadrant is the place to be, then I am sure it is entirely feasible to extend the X66 there and without too much of an issue.

However, as the yellow quadrant doesnt contain anything that cant be found in Gateshead and/or Newcastle, I would suggest those who are on a direct bus to Gateshead or Newcastle, would head there. Rather than change on to an X66.

Regardless of any issues around any additional ticket costs.

If Intu are keen to increase footfall in the yellow quadrant, then attracting passengers to it from other areas around western Gateshead, North West Durham and the Tyne Valley is key. Maybe it shouldn't just be the Green Solars that head that way...

Ambassador

23 Jul 2017, 10:23 am #195
Not to go too off point but retail footfall is up. Intu are reporting rises and we've got the holidays coming up

Ambassador
23 Jul 2017, 10:23 am #195

Not to go too off point but retail footfall is up. Intu are reporting rises and we've got the holidays coming up

Malarkey

30 Jul 2017, 6:37 pm #196
RC1 - Newcastle Racecourse - Regent Centre - Gosforth - Newcastle Haymarket Bus Station - Newcastle Central Station
Service would operate in co-ordination with the fixture list for the races similar to how York Pullman operate there shuttle service.
Malarkey
30 Jul 2017, 6:37 pm #196

RC1 - Newcastle Racecourse - Regent Centre - Gosforth - Newcastle Haymarket Bus Station - Newcastle Central Station
Service would operate in co-ordination with the fixture list for the races similar to how York Pullman operate there shuttle service.

LVK 404L

30 Jul 2017, 6:53 pm #197
I think the short 1s from Whitley Bay to Gateshead should be withdrawn and revises eveey 30 mins just Whitley Bay to Wrekenton.

The 11 is providing the alternate service between Gateshead and Whitley Bay still providing the 15 min link between major points Gateshead. newcaatle. Byker. Wallsend.North Shields.a d Whitley Bay.
LVK 404L
30 Jul 2017, 6:53 pm #197

I think the short 1s from Whitley Bay to Gateshead should be withdrawn and revises eveey 30 mins just Whitley Bay to Wrekenton.

The 11 is providing the alternate service between Gateshead and Whitley Bay still providing the 15 min link between major points Gateshead. newcaatle. Byker. Wallsend.North Shields.a d Whitley Bay.

big mac

30 Jul 2017, 7:15 pm #198
I think one of the short 1s to Gateshead should be merged with the 29. This would provide places on the 29 route with a direct link to Newcastle rather than just Gateshead.

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk
big mac
30 Jul 2017, 7:15 pm #198

I think one of the short 1s to Gateshead should be merged with the 29. This would provide places on the 29 route with a direct link to Newcastle rather than just Gateshead.

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

Tom

30 Jul 2017, 7:17 pm #199
(30 Jul 2017, 6:53 pm)ifm001 I think the short 1s from Whitley Bay to Gateshead should be withdrawn and revises eveey 30 mins just Whitley Bay to Wrekenton.

I don't think that's a good idea. The 1 is a completely different route to the 11 from Newcastle to North Shields and yes it serves to same major points as you call them but goes a completely different way. Would have to be 15 minutes between Wallsend and Whitley Bay but maybe 30 between Wallsend and Gateshead. Would be overcrowding on the Omnicities more than likely though.
Tom
30 Jul 2017, 7:17 pm #199

(30 Jul 2017, 6:53 pm)ifm001 I think the short 1s from Whitley Bay to Gateshead should be withdrawn and revises eveey 30 mins just Whitley Bay to Wrekenton.

I don't think that's a good idea. The 1 is a completely different route to the 11 from Newcastle to North Shields and yes it serves to same major points as you call them but goes a completely different way. Would have to be 15 minutes between Wallsend and Whitley Bay but maybe 30 between Wallsend and Gateshead. Would be overcrowding on the Omnicities more than likely though.

V514DFT

31 Jul 2017, 9:46 am #200
Maybe extend the 40/41 to serve Percy Main and East Howdon would also be nice if the Residents of Hadrian Park had a bus to North Shields since the old peoples home has been re-built
V514DFT
31 Jul 2017, 9:46 am #200

Maybe extend the 40/41 to serve Percy Main and East Howdon would also be nice if the Residents of Hadrian Park had a bus to North Shields since the old peoples home has been re-built

Pages (150) Previous 19 10 11150 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average